PDA

View Full Version : Return to OZ

JON9000
03-20-2008, 01:20 PM
Here's another one I did not like when I was a kid, but just finished watching and really enjoyed. The sets, such as Mombi's tower, and the Nome King's ornament room are amazing, and the story is very well done also. And it's scary!

I wondered why I did not like it as a kid. As a kid, I thought the claymation FX were kind of lame. Another issue is that the escape from Mombi's is extremely intense (scared the carp out of me as a kid) and the movie's climax doesn't capture the same level of fear for the characters.

Looking back, though, the good so outweighs a few minor quibbles that I can state with certainty that what I hated as a kid was the simple fact that it did not live up to what I thought a sequel to TWOZ should have been. My old childhood pals, the Tin Man, Cowardly Lion, and Scarecrow are basically left out and replaced with a new squad, the characters looked different, the Emerald City looked different and so on. In other words, I simply couldn't enjoy the movie on its own terms because I brought a lot of my own wants to the show.

Regardless, I was over it watching it as an adult, and I like it as much or more than the original. So, if you haven't seen it in a long time, give it a spin!

2-1B
03-20-2008, 10:09 PM
In other words, I simply couldn't enjoy the movie on its own terms because I brought a lot of my own wants to the show

Kinda like Phantom Menace ? :confused:

:thumbsup:

JediTricks
03-20-2008, 10:29 PM

:thumbsup:
Except without the suck factor.

Return to Oz is an amazing-looking movie IMO, very impressively drawn from the Oz books - unfortunately, the Wizard of Oz is one of those movies that, despite being a failure in its time, became a "classic" throughout the ages and weighs heavily around the Oz series' neck. And yeah, it's pretty scary at parts, too much for young children, that and the "from the book, not the movie" aspects are stuff that the Disney marketing department should have pumped hard but didn't. Plus, that opening where they try to "realize" a connection from the movie and torture poor Dorothy, that was just painful as hell. Ultimately, I think folks bypass it for the Disney name and the lack of connection to the classic Wizard Of OZ film, but it's still mighty impressive to me.

JON9000
03-21-2008, 11:22 AM
Plus, that opening where they try to "realize" a connection from the movie and torture poor Dorothy, that was just painful as hell.

So you mean you didn't dig the opening at the sanitarium? I thought it was an effective sequence and did a good job of setting the tone of the movie. I'll admit an odd fascination with late 19th century life, a time when the modern age was really coming together with tech development in communication, medicine, war machines, etc.

I think Mombi and the nurse were a fine pairing, but the Doctor was a little too nice to wind up being the Nome King. I also like that they kept the slippers Ruby instead of making them silver, because those are just iconic and cannot be ignored.

Ha! I'm not going there!

2-1B
03-21-2008, 07:26 PM
Except without the suck factor.

Pr**k. :mad:

:D

:thumbsup: ;) :thumbsup:

Ha! I'm not going there!

You better go there...Pr**k. :mad:

:D

:thumbsup: ;) :thumbsup:

JediTricks
03-24-2008, 02:22 PM
So you mean you didn't dig the opening at the sanitarium? I thought it was an effective sequence and did a good job of setting the tone of the movie. I'll admit an odd fascination with late 19th century life, a time when the modern age was really coming together with tech development in communication, medicine, war machines, etc. Yeah, the electro-shock stuff doesn't work in terms of how Oz stories treat Dorothy, that was frightening "reality" which was too far from the series' intentions, and was another setup for "is it all a dream?"