PDA

View Full Version : SSG's Bi-Weekly Hasbro Q&A - March 20th

JediTricks
03-20-2008, 11:05 PM
What's a day early and dyed in bright colors for Easter? It's Hasbro's answers to SSG questions for March 20th, 2008. Thanks again to Hasbro for the answers, to all the folks who sent in questions and especially those who voted on them.

Hasbro Q&A for the week of March 20th
SSG: Should Hasbro ever decide to revisit the Ishi Tib species with a new figure, would you be more inclined to do one from Jabba's palace first, the prequels, or would you want to update the figure from 1998 of the unnamed rebel?
Hasbro: We would probably go with an OTC version. While an Ishi Tib is not in any planend waves for the next couple of years, it is a good candidate for eventually updating since there is also a vintage precedent.

SSG: With the upcoming Comic Pack figure of Cade Skywalker, you seem to have nailed his look, but he doesn't seem to be coming with his green lightsaber. Might that be rectified in time for the figure's release since it's unlikely we'll be seeing another Cade Skywalker figure for a while? Cade's even holding the hilt on the cover of Legacy #2, and after all, your figure of Quinlan Vos wasn't entirely accurate to the issue he came with, instead opting for his more popular look, so why not give Cade his saber?
Hasbro: Originally, it was planned that Cade would have a saber hilt. However, the hard copy was misplaced and by the time the mistake was discovered, it could not be included. We decided to release as is (since he has his blaster rifle).

SSG: While it's our site policy to avoid rumors, our readers have been wound up a bit on this one so they demanded we ask.... It seems like there was a lot of hype and rumor about a new Millennium Falcon vehicle for the main line, including the leak of a Target DCPI number that came with the AT-TE - which Hasbro is indeed materializing. There was a lot of expectation that Hasbro would unveil both the AT-TE and this new Millennium Falcon at Toy Fair, and while the former appeared, the latter did not, so might you comment on these Falcon rumors at all? If nothing else, a simple confirmation or denial would ease a lot of collector tension.
Hasbro: We have no comment on anything to do with a Millenium Falcon item, other than to say that it is not our policy to comment on certain rumors especially as they pertain to items that may appear in the Target (or any other retailer's) computers. Often, there is a reason for this secrecy because some items may be part of that retailers promotional tactics such as the Ultimate Battle Packs at Target. Whether or not there is another such concept in development will not be commented upon for this reason.

- -

And the questions at ActionFigs.com (http://www.actionfigs.com/index.php?categoryid=12&p2_articleid=1916):

Would Hasbro ever consider doing a figure of a "classic style" Sy Snootles from before the Special Editions? That's the one including the feather hat, tusks, more realistic eyes, a microphone, and can still be seen in the current version on the sail barge.
Does Nippet the Wokling come out of his basket? If so, might you be able to share a picture of this?
Although Hasbro's been releasing more and more Battle Droid designs lately, one that's been overlooked so far has been the Geonosis Battle Droid Commander, the one that has the OOM-9-style yellow markings on a maroon body. Moreover, the last Battle Droid Commander you released had a regular Battle Droid's backpack, which is inaccurate, the commander droids have no backpack, only a small antenna array as seen on your Ep 1 OOM-9 figure. Might this design be considered for the next time we see Battle Droid figures, perhaps even in a Geonosis Arena battle pack with the unreleased Geonosian Cannon accessory that was originally shown with the Arena playset?

Kidhuman
03-21-2008, 12:13 AM
Nocomment from Hasbro usually means it is in the works. They will flat out deny stuff, but are shaky on confirming it.

JediTricks
03-21-2008, 12:23 AM
That is how I took it as well, but they've never done a new mold of this size for an exclusive before. However, if it were a retailer to get one, it'd be Target, Hasbro did them the 12" Biker Scout on Speederbike exclusive back in the day, that was a lot of new mold. Of course, this may not even be a new mold but a super-ultimate BP with the previous retooling of the Kenner Falcon, but I'm hoping new and big.

Honestly, that "no comment" was the bright spot in my Q&A editing today, these were some uninspiring Qs and As for me even though AF had 2 positive results. The thing about Cade is a real downer because nobody wins there, collectors don't get what they're after all the way and Hasbro tried to do it but couldn't deliver.

El Chuxter
03-21-2008, 12:50 AM
You have to admit, their answers (aside from the Falcon) were far more straightforward than usual. And the Nippet pic! Awww, (s)he's so cute!

bigbarada
03-21-2008, 03:32 AM
A vintage precedent for Ishi Tib? Since when did POTF2 count as vintage. :confused:

Dark Marble
03-21-2008, 10:00 AM
I will be holding out hope for a new Falcon, and dream that it is something worth all the secrecy. But, I am all about seeing as believing and would almost find it hard to believe that a newly sculpted Falcon would be an exclusive. Does any one still have the DCPI of the rumored Falcon?

Droid
03-21-2008, 10:56 AM
We would probably go with an OTC version. While an Ishi Tib is not in any planend waves for the next couple of years, it is a good candidate for eventually updating since there is also a vintage precedent.

I would prefer they would have answered whether or not it would be a Jabba's Palace or a Rebel Ishi Tibb, but I guess the real answer is "We have no plans to do an Ishi Tibb so we'll figure it out later."

And I think they mean an "original trilogy" version, not a "original trilogy collection" version.

Jedi_Kal-El
03-21-2008, 11:02 AM
Nocomment from Hasbro usually means it is in the works. They will flat out deny stuff, but are shaky on confirming it.

That's pretty much always been my take on it as well. Practically everything they "no comment" on ends up being released. I wouldn't be surprised if they end up showing it off at Comic-Con.

jedi master sal
03-21-2008, 12:16 PM
A vintage precedent for Ishi Tib? Since when did POTF2 count as vintage. :confused:

That's what I was wondering. Maybe they are considering it that since it was Kenner at the time and not yet Hasbro. That's the only thing that makes any sense to me.

Battle Droid
03-21-2008, 12:31 PM
I hope that Battle Droid Commander is a new SA sculpt!:D

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-21-2008, 06:37 PM
So do I. I'm glad they confirmed him . . . hopefully there's time to change his backpack, you can all thank me for that one. :D

JediTricks
03-22-2008, 12:57 AM
You have to admit, their answers (aside from the Falcon) were far more straightforward than usual. And the Nippet pic! Awww, (s)he's so cute!It's a "she", she was in the Ewoks cartoon.

A vintage precedent for Ishi Tib? Since when did POTF2 count as vintage. :confused:Yeah, that whole answer was weird.

BTW, they wouldn't bring the Falcon to Toy Fair if it was an exclusive because Toy Fair is for promotions to all retailers. That said, they did have the collector panel thing with exclusive news, but they are probably holding whatever this is back. If it's a recycled mold, I suspect we won't see any official news of it until its release, but I can't imagine them holding back on an all-new mold, that'd be folly.

Jedi_Kal-El
03-22-2008, 01:24 AM

I'd like to second that. We are in serious need of a new sculpt for the BD. It needs legs that don't get so danged bendy, and elbow articulation like the Saga and ROTS versions so it can actually hold a gun with both hands.

Cane_Adiss
03-22-2008, 12:15 PM
I'm a little disappointed in Hasbro's answer to both my questions that were submitted this time.

Since there was no Ishi Tib vintage figure, I'm wondering if they got them mixed up with the Prune Face (Dressellian) species. Although there were no Dressellians in the PT that I'm aware of. Still a bummer that we won't be seeing Shasa Tiel or Harc Seff or the rebel commando any time soon.

Also disappointed, though not suprised, that there is no vintage style Sy Snootles on the radar. Probably never. That sucks, as imho the POTF2 one sucks. The whole band, minus maybe Max Rebo, the drummers and Rappertunie could use an upgrade but oh well.

Glad to see were getting a Maroon Battle Droid Commander. I wish Hasbro commented on the unreleased Geonosis cannon but I figure we'll see it in some form eventually.

I just know we're getting a new Millennium Falcon so I'm not too worried about that non-answer. But I think they're sortof hinting that its coming given the tone of their answer.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-22-2008, 02:01 PM
BTW, they wouldn't bring the Falcon to Toy Fair if it was an exclusive because Toy Fair is for promotions to all retailers. That said, they did have the collector panel thing with exclusive news, but they are probably holding whatever this is back. If it's a recycled mold, I suspect we won't see any official news of it until its release, but I can't imagine them holding back on an all-new mold, that'd be folly.
They brought the Wal-Mart exclusive Droid Factory two-packs, though.

JediTricks
03-22-2008, 04:10 PM
They brought the Wal-Mart exclusive Droid Factory two-packs, though.
That's true, but it's the only time, and it could have been as an example to get buyers interested in the Droid Factory concept for the basic line. Or just "collector interest news", though again that'd be a major first.

Tycho
03-22-2008, 04:34 PM
Their answer about the 7" Unleased Line failing for SW while selling for Transformers and / or whatever other lines they do Unleashed for is bull.

I buy some Transformer toys, but was NEVER interested in their Unleashed line for those guys, nor any super heroes, etc.

Star Wars' 7" Unleashed kicks the tar out of any of those other 7" Unleashed lines I imagine.

I don't know what their real reasons are, but that's bull.

Cool that we'll be seeing a SENATOR Amidala eventually.

There was another piece of good news but I forgot it at the moment. I read JT's article a while ago. Nice job: JediTricks BTW.

I DO appreciate all his efforts to compile the answers. I just appreciate it more when I like Hasbro's answers.

BTW - To JT: I told him so that the V-19's wings were fine. That whomever set it up for Toy Fair didn't know what they were doing or how else to hang it. I still think JT just wanted to start a controversy.

BTW, I have it on good authority that Dr. Evezan is going to perform liposuction on Yarna dal Gargan before she is released. What we were shown was only a prototype. The actual figure will look more like Kirstie Alley when she is released. :D

figrin bran
03-22-2008, 08:19 PM
Their answer about the 7" Unleased Line failing for SW while selling for Transformers and / or whatever other lines they do Unleashed for is bull.

I buy some Transformer toys, but was NEVER interested in their Unleashed line for those guys, nor any super heroes, etc.

Star Wars' 7" Unleashed kicks the tar out of any of those other 7" Unleashed lines I imagine.

I don't know what their real reasons are, but that's bull.

I agree with you Tycho. (haha, how often do you see that sentence on this forum?). They claim "every brand is different" but Movie Transformers Unleashed did not seem to sell very well - I can still find tons of Optimus at WM. The Target exclusive Bumblebee sold out but that's only b/c it was an exclusive.

It just seems like whenever Hasbro transplants one of their SW lines over to Transformers or Marvel, it seems to do terribly and even worse than the SW line. Take Unleashed and Titanium forged figures for instance. It'll be interesting to see how the Marvel and Indy Mighty Muggs fare.

The question and answer regarding Walmart exclusives was very interesting, I thought. Now I know why my local WM's often do not get the exclusives in. Still, it's ridiculous and it seems like the proverbial catch 22. If I know my local WM isn't going to get the Build a Droid sets in, I'm not going to shop there and chances are other collectors won't as well and that will hurt their SW sales.

JediTricks
03-24-2008, 03:55 PM
I buy some Transformer toys, but was NEVER interested in their Unleashed line for those guys, nor any super heroes, etc.Nobody was, that line tanked. Only the Marvel line, which is Unleashed in name only as it's heavily articulated, has survived, and it's not flourishing.

I don't know what their real reasons are, but that's bull.Costs. Transformers Unleashed doesn't come with heavy licensing fees the way SW does, and Marvel Unleashed is a totally different concept and costs $5 more.

BTW - To JT: I told him so that the V-19's wings were fine. That whomever set it up for Toy Fair didn't know what they were doing or how else to hang it. I still think JT just wanted to start a controversy.Just the opposite, I was looking to stem it off, if they did it wrong, it'd be another Sith Infiltrator controversy - that toy sucks and not enough was said in the early stages to keep that turkey from landing. And as usual, you're wrong saying someone set it up at Toy Fair incorrectly, the press release photos taken at Hasbro's studio show the same thing.

I agree with you Tycho. (haha, how often do you see that sentence on this forum?). They claim "every brand is different" but Movie Transformers Unleashed did not seem to sell very well - I can still find tons of Optimus at WM. The Target exclusive Bumblebee sold out but that's only b/c it was an exclusive. They didn't say it was popular in other brands, all they said was "As for the popularity of the format in other lines, we really cannot speculate since every brand is different." It's JTA's question which is the one that suggests they are running strong - despite the fact that no Unleashed line is.

It just seems like whenever Hasbro transplants one of their SW lines over to Transformers or Marvel, it seems to do terribly and even worse than the SW line. Take Unleashed and Titanium forged figures for instance. It'll be interesting to see how the Marvel and Indy Mighty Muggs fare.The Galactic Heroes concept seems to have translated well to Marvel and ok to Transformers. I suspect it will do poorly with Indy though.

As for Mighty Muggs, the moment I saw their first Marvel entries I knew that line would work, that concept works far better for comic characters like that. I don't think it'll translate to Indy either though.

Tycho
03-24-2008, 05:07 PM
Just the opposite, I was looking to stem it off, if they did it wrong, it'd be another Sith Infiltrator controversy - that toy sucks and not enough was said in the early stages to keep that turkey from landing. And as usual, you're wrong saying someone set it up at Toy Fair incorrectly, the press release photos taken at Hasbro's studio show the same thing.

That photo being shot wrong is possibly the reason it was set up wrong at Toy Fair.

They also didn't have a raised "clear stand" to set the vehicle up on correctly when they took that press release picture, so it wasn't shot correctly then either.

The Sith Infiltrator is a bad comparison. Except for its size, which is its fatal flaw, the Infiltrator looks exactly like its movie counterpart. It's not like they couldn't look at a picture and reproduce what they saw. So why would they not look at the cartoon and try to make the ship so unauthentic? If they wanted to screw it up, it could have had a dedicated head and been another Cruise Missile Trooper. Instead its only "bad" is that it's a 1-seater instead of a 2-seater.

JediTricks
03-24-2008, 07:39 PM
I keep telling you this, the one in the Hasbro studio shot is ON A STAND!!! It's lifted up on one side, they could have lifted it up anywhere they wanted, that wing is staying there by itself.