PDA

View Full Version : Vintage 12" Figures

sebillba
03-27-2008, 03:47 PM
Anyone else into these? I bought a few a couple of years ago (including a lovely minty Han, complete with medal, currently my favourite piece:love:), and have decided to search out the others to complete my collection.

I've just bought a Luke, and have a question about the grappling hook.... the other end of the string on mine is glued to a piece of purple plastic - it's not done very well and looks really naff. I want to cut it off - I've found a couple of others on the net, and none have this plastic end piece - but I'm reluctant to do it in case it's supposed to be there. Anyone know for sure?

sjd9299
03-27-2008, 05:04 PM
Not supposed to be there. Luke's hook is a silver plastic piece with a string on it. My string has a loop in the end that goes around his hand but I am not sure if that is factory or if the first owner tied it. I love the 12" collection and look forward to the day when mine is complete. Almost there.

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i62/Toyhunter80s/Toys.jpg

sebillba
03-27-2008, 05:29 PM
Thanks for the info. I'll probably cut it off and maybe tie the end to the belt loop, the hook can hang above it.

Really nice collection there.... apart from the obvious Indy bits, what are you missing?

So far I have:

Han
Luke
2 Chewies
Vader
Stormie
Boba Fett
3PO
Jawa

All complete, except Boba Fett is missing the rubber tip from his rocket.

vader121
03-28-2008, 09:13 AM
I have ...
Stormtrooper complete
R2 D2 complete
C3PO complete
Luke complete
Leia complete
Chewie complete
ObiWan (missing belt)
Vader (missing saber)
Boba Fett (missing wookie pelts)

Need ...
Han
IG88

The ones that I have seen the least are Obiwan, Leia, Han, and IG88.
Did see an IG88 at a toy show but passed on it at first sighting and then when I went back to take a 2nd look it was gone. I've never seen Han in person actually which is weird to me. Did see a complete Indy figure but passed on that too. Should've grabbed it I know.

sebillba
03-28-2008, 09:54 AM
I only really "see" these on ebay. I'm after a Leia and Obi-Wan next.... I missed out on a lovely Leia this week, sold for about $120. There are quite a few Leias for sale at the mo, but most have the hair down, and I'm not sure I'd ever get her "buns" to look right.

JON9000
03-28-2008, 11:31 AM
I am going to get into these once I have my "loose" collection of 4 inch finished!

Deoxyribonucleic
03-28-2008, 12:05 PM
I have most of them still from childhood and like all my 70's space set legos, I am NOT missing a piece but Chewie's rubberband that holds the arms together just recently broke, :cry: but easily fixable :thumbsup: I never did get IG-88, Ben or Leia for some reason and eventually I may pick those up to complete the collection.

I remember 'illegally' searching for xmas presents one year with my sis and I found 12" c3p0 that my Mom had hidden under her bed lol

This is why I love the vintage stuff, it brings back so many great memories that are different from great adult memories :yes:

sebillba
03-28-2008, 02:16 PM
I'm surprised you haven't got Leia, Deox!

I collect a lot of toys because of the nostalgia value, but I never had any of these when I was young. But I just love the charm and naivity of these. And they were so obviously made to be played with, I know I would've loved them as a kid.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-29-2008, 09:09 AM
They're just too darn expensive for me. I got my fix of these when the POTF2 lines came out (bought Han, Luke Bespin, and another one [Fett?] I forget). I had a friend give me a beaten up vintage Fett missing every accessory, and that's more within my price range. :cheapcheap: :rolleyes:

jjreason
03-29-2008, 10:03 AM
I never had them as a kid either. Not sure why, but I was always focused on the 3.75" stuff and the desire for them never really transferred over.

evenflow
03-29-2008, 05:48 PM
I have a complete set i put together over the years, i still need Han's Medallion though :(

bigbarada
03-29-2008, 06:04 PM
I never had them as a kid either. Not sure why, but I was always focused on the 3.75" stuff and the desire for them never really transferred over.

Same here, but I think a lot of it had to do with my parents. They could tolerate us having a few of the 3 3/4" figures, but there's no way they would have allowed us to have what were clearly dolls.

I know that technically all action figures are dolls, but once you introduce the ability to dress and undress the figure, that's when it seems to cross the boytoy/girltoy line. At least that's how my parents saw it and, as a result, the way I see it too.

Also, the ability to stuff the figures in my pocket and take them to school was a big plus for me. Try that with a 12" figure when you're 8 years old.:D

Deoxyribonucleic
03-29-2008, 11:45 PM
I'm surprised you haven't got Leia, Deox!

I KNOW!! :confused: one of these days...one of these days ;)

sebillba
03-30-2008, 04:29 AM
Same here, but I think a lot of it had to do with my parents. They could tolerate us having a few of the 3 3/4" figures, but there's no way they would have allowed us to have what were clearly dolls.

I know that technically all action figures are dolls, but once you introduce the ability to dress and undress the figure, that's when it seems to cross the boytoy/girltoy line. At least that's how my parents saw it and, as a result, the way I see it too.

I don't have this problem.... my first (toy) love was Action Man (UK equivalent of 12" GI Joe) - a fully articulated "doll" you could dress up in different outfits, but was totally geared towards boys. When SW 3 3/4" figures first came out, I actually had a problem at first getting my head round the fact you couldn't undress them! I still collect Action Man now, so the SW 12" are a natural link between my two main collections. Sure, the vintage SW 12" human figures are closer to Barbie and Ken than Action Man, but they're still SW, so don't carry the same kind of stigma for me.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-30-2008, 07:03 PM
Mine was purely an expense issue. My mom and dad tried their best to give me what I wanted, and as many of the other kids on our block got much more than I, they ignored big things (big playsets, 12" figs, most non-Mini Rigs vehicles, etc.). I saw those tall boxes in the hands of my friends, was jealous, but understood. I made up for all that my never getting rid of my collection! :thumbsup:

sjd9299
03-30-2008, 07:23 PM
Thanks for the info. I'll probably cut it off and maybe tie the end to the belt loop, the hook can hang above it.

Really nice collection there.... apart from the obvious Indy bits, what are you missing?

Jawa is missing gun and belt, Leia is missing 1 shoe, IG-88 is missing 1 grenade.

I also need a few more boxes. Luke box insert only, Stormtrooper box, Jawa box, Ben box, R2 box, IG-88 box, SW Boba Fett box.

I just passed on a complete Indy with box for only $135. Just din't have the money. I will kick myslef for years I am sure.

omnithx
03-30-2008, 09:46 PM
My 12" figures are the pride of my collection. Need to clean the texta off my Stormtrooper one day, made perfect sense to colour him in when I was a kid. lol
Still need that accursed grappling hook for Luke too. :upset:

sebillba
03-31-2008, 08:02 AM
My 12" figures are the pride of my collection. Need to clean the texta off my Stormtrooper one day, made perfect sense to colour him in when I was a kid. lol
Still need that accursed grappling hook for Luke too. :upset:

Fantastic line-up! :D (where's the green envious smilie when you need one?!)

I'm really pleased with my Luke though - reckon I got a bargain, seeing as he's complete with grappling hook. He was originally a buy it now for 65.... I got him for 26 inc postage. :thumbsup:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140213329200

darth_robb
03-31-2008, 08:54 PM
For as long as I can remember I've been a fan of the 12" format. Unfortunately when I was a kid I missed out on them. Over the years I've picked up a few at shows and on ebay.

I now have Luke Skywalker, Boba Fett, Darth Vader, C-3P0, R2-D2, and Han Solo.

I will probably try to pick up the others down the line when I can afford to and when I see them in reasonable condition.

vader121
04-01-2008, 11:04 AM
I never had them either. I actually didn't even know they existed until later in life. However I know that my parents wouldn't buy them for me since they are dolls.

The closest I had to a doll was my Mego Spiderman.