PDA

View Full Version : Prequel Documentaries

Deoxyribonucleic
04-01-2008, 12:10 AM
So in between homework breaks and even while doing homework, for the last two days I watched all the documentaries and web documentaries for all three prequels and it was most enjoyable. Made the homework go by easier and faster and put me in a mood to watch the prequels. I'm starting to watch EP 1 right now.

I'm keeping an open mind because what I realized from watching all these documentaries, the prequels do have alot of "the star wars feeling" in them that I love so much! Especially the musical scores, props, creatures, planets and landscapes.

My mom and myself went and saw all three together and I'm really, REALLY missing her so I thought I'd pop them in the dvd player, bring back some great memories :)

2-1B
04-01-2008, 12:37 AM
I love the docs as well.

Gotta love The Rick and his magic: the phone call from Ewan McGregor and his intro of TPM to that premiere crowd are pure Gold.

Also, his alligator emblem shirt in ROTS.

:The Rick:

Deoxyribonucleic
04-01-2008, 12:43 AM
I've always liked him! He seems like he'd be so much fun to hang with! :thumbsup:

Rocketboy
04-01-2008, 01:04 AM
The doc on Episode 1 ("The Beginning"?) is still probably the best features I've ever seen about a movie.
I love how open they are about pretty much everything, even the bad stuff, like casting Anakin, editing Jake Lloyd's performance together, the effects worries at ILM, ect.

stillakid
04-01-2008, 01:13 AM
I haven't really watched all the docs. I've got a little time to myself coming up. I think I'll actually put them on my list of things to do. Thanks, Deox! :yes:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-01-2008, 06:22 PM
TPM was one of the first DVDs I ever got . . . every other non-SW DVD was kind of a letdown after that, since the coverage on there is so insanely extensive. Well, then there's the LOTR sets, but those go a little overboard. :D

Snowtrooper
04-01-2008, 07:14 PM
Whether you liked them or not, you've got to appreciate alot of the work that went into making the prequels.

bobafrett
04-01-2008, 07:19 PM
Are you talking about the ones that came with the prequel DVD's?

Deoxyribonucleic
04-01-2008, 07:24 PM
Are you talking about the ones that came with the prequel DVD's?

yep yep :thumbsup:

they are so good!

bobafrett
04-01-2008, 07:27 PM
Well, I think I found what I'll be watching this evening...............Little house on the prarie!

I mean the documentries. Thanks Deox!

Deoxyribonucleic
04-01-2008, 07:36 PM
Well, I think I found what I'll be watching this evening...............Little house on the prarie!

I mean the documentries. Thanks Deox!

Watch the web documentaries as well, those are great. There's 12 per on Ep1 and 2 and 15 on Ep 3

Enjoy little house :throws up: hehe j/k :)

bobafrett
04-01-2008, 07:41 PM
Unfortunatly no web, at home at least. No DVD player on the ones at the library.

It's a sad say.

Rocketboy
04-01-2008, 08:00 PM
The webdocs are on the DVDs.

2-1B
04-02-2008, 01:04 AM
I haven't really watched all the docs. I've got a little time to myself coming up. I think I'll actually put them on my list of things to do. Thanks, Deox! :yes:

Great, everyone get ready for the next wave of attack. lol

:thumbsup:

:21B Saved The Prequels:

:The Rick's Alligator Shirt:

stillakid
04-02-2008, 11:32 AM
Great, everyone get ready for the next wave of attack. lol

:21B Saved The Prequels:

:The Rick's Alligator Shirt:

Truth is hard. If it was easy, everyone would do it. :whip:

:galileo: :smoker:
:saintstephen: :smoker:
:jesus: :smoker:
:gandi: :smoker:
:joanofarc: :smoker:
:stillakid: :smoker:

JediTricks
04-02-2008, 05:11 PM
If only Lucasfilm could deliver the same quality of Star Wars movies as they do documentaries about Star Wars movies. :p

I am very glad there's fun being had with these docs, but to me they are indicative of the axiom "the road to hell is paved with good intentions." Lucas had a few good ideas, and instead of being challenged to round them out and express them in the best manner possible, he just fills them with all sorts of kooky ideas and experiments as if the whole thing is a whim. Then the movies come out and they have their flaws, so Lucas has a bunch of polished docs and other media to "explain" what he was going for. Perhaps if he had made better finished products, he wouldn't need to explain himself so thoroughly. I can appreciate pieces of each movie, but as a whole, each film still doesn't do it for me and the docs pointing out why they should don't either. I enjoy the docs from an academic perspective, but as a SW fan they don't entirely do it for me. (And nothing personal Kevin Burns, but your OT documentary was pretty flat, I don't get why it's received so many accolades.)

Sorry, just trying to raise the level of discourse in here.

2-1B
04-02-2008, 06:32 PM
Truth is hard. If it was easy, everyone would do it. :whip:

:galileo: :smoker:
:saintstephen: :smoker:
:jesus: :smoker:
:gandi: :smoker:
:joanofarc: :smoker:
:stillakid: :smoker:

Are you calling them all frauds ?

JimJamBonds
04-02-2008, 10:07 PM
False truths or false frauds?

2-1B
04-02-2008, 10:31 PM
True Fakes

JON9000
04-05-2008, 12:24 PM
There are some pretty funny things in the docs, like when Ray Park discusses Maul: "When you put in the contacts and the teef you can't help but be naughty." Not evil, mind you, but naughty. So very British!

I like the bit where Ewan got to choose his saber hilt as well, all of them packed in a foam rubber case as they were. That must have been very cool.

Deoxyribonucleic
04-05-2008, 12:31 PM
I ended up watching all three prequel movies after watching the documentaries, and minus some things here or there, I actually enjoyed them. It had been so long since I'd seen them and I went in with an open mind and it made for another wonderful homework break.

I'm currently in the process of watching all the original trilogy audio commentaries. I'm starting to like GL alot more than I did. He's got mythology down to science.

stillakid
04-05-2008, 01:17 PM
mythology down to science.

What's the word for that? Oxymoron. ;)

While I can't argue that he seems to know mythology, I still wish he'd figure out how to write a screenplay or at least go back to hiring qualified people who can.

JediTricks
04-06-2008, 06:36 PM
Wait, so now you're going to buy some PT stuff Deoxy??? Oh the huge-manatee! Is this some elaborate April Fools joke you're playing on us?

Deoxyribonucleic
04-06-2008, 07:28 PM
Wait, so now you're going to buy some PT stuff Deoxy??? Oh the huge-manatee! Is this some elaborate April Fools joke you're playing on us?

No, no, no lol, I gave most of my PT stuff to various friends long ago. However, I am going to get the GG Aalya Secura bust cuz, let's face it, that's a hot blue twi'lek jedi! :love:

I have really enjoyed re-visiting the movies and documentaries again.

2-1B
04-06-2008, 09:18 PM
stillakid, she must have borrowed someone's rose colored glasses...

Deoxyribonucleic
04-06-2008, 10:24 PM
stillakid, she must have borrowed someone's rose colored glasses...

I know, aren't you surprised? Ahh, I just kept an open mind and considering my mood as of late, anything Star Wars is enough to make me smile :thumbsup: I won't look a giftgungan in the mouth, no siree!

2-1B
04-07-2008, 01:23 PM
don't you mean "nosa sireesa" ? lol

:Take Care 'Ox:

JON9000
04-07-2008, 06:35 PM
He's got mythology down to science.

I think they had docs on History Channel that concentrated on that aspect of SW, all of the myths and archetypes, etc. I remember it was pretty good!