PDA

View Full Version : Speed Racer Toys (Die Cast and all other sizes)

Val Da Car
04-04-2008, 02:12 AM
I like the Johnny Lightning cars from 10 yrs ago and saw the Speed Racer Mach 4 (red one) and ended up picking up all of the other cars.

But is it me and the exclusives (Target), different sizes and two vendors (Mattel) and another could keep this line alive until the movie comes out or until the holidays for gift giving?

JediTricks
04-04-2008, 11:33 PM
This line is a huge mess. First off, you have Jada Toys producing a new scale of CLASSIC Speed Racer vehicles, and while they're doing an ok job of it, they never really do anything stellar or better than the smaller Johnny Lightning series.

Then there's the Mattel line based on the new movie, and they have 1 die-cast scale (Hot Wheels 1/64th) and several different plastic scales. There's even a large Mach 5 and Mach 6, but I don't think there's any figures to go with it. I bought the $10 disk-firing Mach 5 with Speed Racer, the figure's horribly oversized for the vehicle and the vehicle is fairly cheesy, but they do their job for $10 not too awful - turns out there's actually quite a few different sets of these with different cars & drivers, none of them are all that great but they have fair detaling. There's the battle rigs, big trucks with cars with snap on parts, that's such a non-Speed Racer idea to me though.

Ultimately, I wish there was a better line of toys from this, I think it's gonna dominate the pegwarming this summer and sell through just as it dies in November.

Oh, anybody notice that Racer X's car doesn't seem to be called the Shooting Star on any of the movie packaging? What up wit dat?

El Chuxter
04-05-2008, 01:13 AM
I saw some toys today. Didn't even look at them that closely. They looked far inferior to the figures I bought about four years ago.

mabudonicus
04-06-2008, 01:45 PM
I haven't seen them yet, sounds kinda unfortunate

I DID enjoy my Mach 5 from Johnny lightning UNTIL I noticed a little scratch on it- I assumed it was just some kind of dirt and went to rub it off with my fingernail and the entire paint "skin" peeled off the damn thing leaving it bare metal which TICKED me off, so Ima get a couple of these as long as they look good enough, not into too many of them tho, Shooting Star and Mach 5 (and maybe if I read what I saw in trailer #2 properly a smaller-scale version of what sure as HELL looked to me like the Mammoth Car, I nearly spat when I saw that- it's right in the middle of the trailer #2 if anyone is interested, it is barely onscreen for more than a split second but the headlight pattern is distinctive and whatever it is it's clearly HUGE)
:beard: Iso&Baws
if the mammoth car is in the movie I WILL stand up and yell

JediTricks
04-06-2008, 08:11 PM
Yeah, Johnny Lightning's paint is very easy to chip, one of their big drawbacks.

What you saw is probably the Mach 5's (or 6's) pit truck, they're doing a few toys out of that as well, Mattel's Battle Rigs have it. Mammoth Car was so stupid, it's a train on tires, if they put that in the film, they're gonna have walkouts.

mabudonicus
04-06-2008, 11:48 PM
hell the car acrobatic team is in it, that's as ridiculous as the Mammoth Car, if not moreso

I checked the pics of the toys and the Rig is NOT the thing I'm referring to, I am in fact referencing what I'm SURE will be an AWESOME rendition of the Mammoth Car

:beard: Iso&Baws
just like when I called Mace Windu being a Sith Lord, I'll be back for the I-Told-You-So ;)

JediTricks
04-07-2008, 06:05 PM
How is the car acrobat team more ridiculous than the Mammoth Car???

mabudonicus
04-07-2008, 11:23 PM
short answer, the Mammoth Car was idiotic BUT obeyed the laws of physics

The Car Acrobatic Team (and admittedly Speed and Racer X) break a whole lot of the "laws" of physics every few seconds

Dumb as it is the Mammoth Car makes more sense than the Acrobatic Team no matter which one is cooler
:beard:Iso&Baws
MAMMOTH CAR!!!!

JediTricks
04-08-2008, 09:42 PM
Actually, the Mammoth Car breaks several laws of physics, it's just that they're not aerial ones. It shouldn't be able to drive on the ground the way it does, it shouldn't have the power or speed that it does, and it shouldn't exist because it sucks.

The Car Acrobatic team obeys the Speed Racer universe's laws of physics, if the Mach 5 can jump, surely they can jump and spin.

mabudonicus
04-18-2008, 10:10 AM
Got the Hot Wheels Mach 6 and Shooting Star (called "Racer X" on the package and "Racer X Street Car" on the bottom of the toy, odd, but he has a different version in the film as well so it looks like we'll see both)

They are more plastic-y than hotwheels tend to be but the white plastic on the Mach 6 actually looks good, it really matches the way the cars look in the trailers.

I plan on getting the Mach 5 (Elf got the toys for me and didn't realize she had 6, not the classic 5) but really am not too hot on the rest of the cars, a couple to have on a desktop is good enough for me
:bored: Iso&Baws
the attachable accessories are a nice touch

plasticfetish
04-27-2008, 04:11 AM
So now that these have been out and about for a bit, I've gotta say, the figure line is probably one of the worst that I've seen in a while. I spotted the Trixie figure the other day (w/ Snake Oiler and some crappy looking Barbie copter), and it made me laugh. Bootleg quality stuff. Very bad.

The small cars aren't terrible, but they're nothing special. Not the quality that I'd expect from Hot Wheels though, and seeing as how you're paying three times as much for them as a regular Hot Wheels car... well okay, they suck.

I've always been a big Speed Racer fan, and even though I'm looking forward to this film, there is nothing about these toys that interests me.

At least the LEGO sets look fun.

mabudonicus
04-28-2008, 09:41 AM
Yeah, they're not perfect but I only needed 3 of them as a tiny display.
The figures are insanely bad- hell, they would have sucked when the original cartoon came out, I was hoping for a decent Speed in whatever scale as a stand-alone- wonder if there's anything going on in the Japanese arena regarding this, time to check hlj I suppose :D
:bored: Iso&Baws
I can't say they suck, but they ain't too impressive, but the figures are truly bad

JediTricks
04-29-2008, 12:43 AM
Yeah, this whole line is junk, very low-end stuff and the cars just aren't as exciting as they should be because Mattel's phoning it in. The figures are embarrassing, and those mini-vehicles they come with are shameful.