PDA

View Full Version : Collecting Variations?

logam Fett
02-14-2002, 03:02 PM
Hi all!!
I'm fairly new to all of this Star Wars collecting, I have about 400 figures in my collection and still I'm far away from completing something important like some of you have.

I had a question to all of you about collecting variations.

Do you think a collection will be completed if you have a figure with everysingle variation that came out, or will it be complete if you only have a figure.

Thank you

JetsAndHeels
02-14-2002, 03:20 PM
Welcome to the forums, Logam Fett.
To answer your question, I think it is upto the collector whether or not their collection is complete. Every collector is different in what they collect, how much they spend, etc.
The collector is the one who decides whether or not a variation figure is necessary to complete their collection.
For example, if I get a figure, but it still has a variation, I am not going to go to the ends of this earth to try to find the different one. I am a huge Fett fan and yet I do not own all of the different POTF2 Fett variations (half circles, stripes on hands, etc).
However if I was lucky enough to find these variations, you bet I would add them to my collection if I had the financial means to do so (as some tend to be rather expensive).
So if you decide that variations are necessary to complete your collection, that is fine. If not, that is fine also.

Rollo Tomassi
02-14-2002, 04:14 PM
I don't think card variations (00.01, 00.02, etc) are variations. but I think Clean Biker Scout/Dirty Biker Scout are variations. I'll try to get those kind of variants. Some variants I ended up getting unintentionally, like long and short sword Lukes Vaders and Obi Wans in the original POTF2 line up. I wasn't going out of my to get them, but it turned out that way. I also got freeze frames and green cards of figures I already had. But a spelling error (Imperal and Imperial) I won't go out of my way to find.

I wonder if a lot of it depends on whether you open up your figs. Some who collect carded figs only might place more value on a card variant then someone who opens the card up and tosses the packaging.

It's all point of view...

Wolfwood319
02-14-2002, 04:19 PM
Do what makes you happy. That's my motto (one of 'em anyway.) If you feel you need variations, go get 'em. If you're happy with just having the figure, rock on!

I personally am a diorama/army builder type of guy. I open all the stuff I get, and make little scenes. Like the Cantina, Jabba's Palace, Mos Espa, etc.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy the boards.

psst....psst...beware the complimentary basket of duct tape...

Rollo Tomassi
02-14-2002, 04:29 PM
Oh! I almost forgot. Here's your basket of duct tape...

Welcome to the insanity!

Lord Malakite
02-14-2002, 04:30 PM
JangoFett96 is right, it depends entirely on the collector.
I, for instance, only collect major variations. Even then, I don't collect all major variations. For example, I bought a blue pants Endor Han first. Then a few weeks later I found the brown pants Endor Han on a Holo. Green card, so I bought him since he was at retail. Had I found the brown pants version first (since he's the rarest of the 3 versions), I would of never bought the blue pants version. That happened with my POTF2 X-Wing Pilot Luke. I found the long saber version first, so I never bothered to get the short saber. Now if I would of found the short saber/long tray version after buying my long saber version, I would deffinately buy it.
So my philosophy depends entirely on the circumstance of the variation.
Buy rare variation at retail first=don't buy less valued variations
Buy easier variation at retail first=buy a rarer variation if at retail
Find variations at same time & price=buy only the rare one
Find variations at same time/different prices=buy the cheaper one
Find intentional variations (Battle Droids paint jobs)=buy them all

GNT
02-15-2002, 12:28 AM
Wel.com to logam Fett :)

variations are the work of Hasbro just to get more money from collectors and it works :)l

Emperor Howdy
02-15-2002, 01:04 AM
Definately what Rollo and Lord Malakite said.....actual noticable changes to the figure, i.e. clean/dirty Biker Scout, Endor Han, blast damage on the Ep.1 Battle Droids?......yes....a collectible variation..................but open/closed hands? Text changes on the card? Missing or relocated accessories? Warning stickers?.......nah...save your money, dude, for the cooler stuff to come. Well....that is IF ANY COOL STUFF IS COMING!?!?!:eek: :stupid: :mad:

JediTricks
02-15-2002, 03:04 AM
For me, it's just one of each figure unless I really like a variation. But it really is about what satisfies you as a collector.

logam Fett
02-15-2002, 05:41 PM
Thank you all for your comments,

I open all of my figures and have them on display in my house, but I've seen interesting figures with variations like tan vest luke jedi, or the dots and no dots boba fett, those are the figures I'm interested in, not on the card variations.

I'm a big fan of Boba Fett Jango and yes he is my Dad, that would make you mi Grandfather?

SithDroid
02-16-2002, 12:59 AM
I agree as well. Only the noticible changes are the ones I try to get and the ones that were sometimes intentional and easy to find. Some good examples are the Clean/Dirty Scout Trooper (although the Clean is hard to find), Han Endor (the pants were changed from blue to brown), The four versions of the Battle Droid. These are ones I would go for. As for open and closed hand, waring label sticker or printed on card, versions .00,.01,.02,.03,.04,.05,.06,.0000,.0100,.0200,.030 0,.0400, etc. don't worry about these. Card variations with misprints are a waste of money as well. But as everyone here seems to say, it depends on the collector.