PDA

View Full Version : 2008 NHL Playoffs

Rocketboy
04-06-2008, 11:38 PM
Its time for the second season to begin, oyes!

Eastern Conference
1. Montreal Canadiens vs 8. Boston Bruins
2. Pittsburgh Penguins vs 7. Ottawa Senators
3. Washington Capitals vs 6. Philadelphia Flyers
4. New Jersey Devils vs 5. New York Rangers

Western Conference
1. Detroit Red Wings vs 8. Nashville Predators
2. San Jose Sharks vs 7. Calgary Flames
3. Minnesota Wild vs 6. Colorado Avalanche
4. Anaheim Ducks vs 5. Dallas Stars

Who ya got?
-----------------------------
Also, anyone interested in possibly playing a game of sorts?
I'm thinking 5 points if you pick the winner of the round and 5 bonus points if you correctly guess the number of games it takes for your pick to win their match up.

My picks:
East
Montreal in 5
Pens in 6
Philly in 6
Jersey in 5

West
Wings in 6
Sharks in 6
Wild in 7
Stars in 6

DarthQuack
04-07-2008, 01:09 PM
East

1. Canadiens in 6
2. Penguins in 7
3. Capitals in 5
4. Rangers in 6

West

1. Red Wings in 5
2. Flames in 6
3. Avalanche in 7
4. Stars in 6

jedi master sal
04-07-2008, 02:39 PM
Eastern Conference
1. Montreal Canadiens in 6
2. Pittsburgh Penguins in 6
3. Washington Capitals in 7
4. New Jersey Devils in 6

Western Conference
1. Detroit Red Wings in 4
2. San Jose Sharks in 5
3. Colorado Avalanche in 7 (Upset special)
4. Anaheim Ducks in 6

DarthBrandon
04-07-2008, 06:42 PM
Eastern Conference

1st Round
1. Montreal Canadiens
2. Pittsburgh Penguins
3. Washington Capitals
4. New York Rangers

2nd Round
Montreal
Pittsburgh (Corrected)

Winner
Montreal

Western Conference

1st Round
1. Detroit Red Wings
2. San Jose Sharks
3. Colorado Avalanche
4. Anaheim Ducks

2nd Round
San Jose
Anaheim

Winner San Jose
Finals Winner San Jose

Bel-Cam Jos
04-07-2008, 08:12 PM
Eastern Conference

1st Round
1. Montreal Canadiens
2. Pittsburgh Penguins
3. Washington Capitals
4. New York Rangers

2nd Round
Montreal
NewYork

Winner
Montreal

Western Conference

1st Round
1. Detroit Red Wings
2. San Jose Sharks
3. Colorado Avalanche
4. Anaheim Ducks

2nd Round
San Jose
Anaheim

Winner San Jose
Finals Winner San JoseI don't think your Eastern Conf. is possible. If #1 MTL wins, they'd play #4 NYR, right? And #2 PIT gets the #3 WAS, IIRC.

I just want to see how far the Pens'll go. I can honestly see the Eastern Finals, maybe even the Cup Final. The West is strong, but if The Kid and Malky are healthy, and if Fleury does the stereotyped stand-on-his-head in goal, there's a shot at a 3rd Cup for Da Boigh.

DarthBrandon
04-07-2008, 09:08 PM
Sorry about that, jumped the gun a little bit. I knew I was missing something.lol

Eastern Conference - Montreal (1st)/Bruins (8th):
Montreal beats Boston

New Jersey (4th)/New York Rangers (5th):
New York beats Jersey

Washington (3rd)/Philadelphia (6th):
Washington beats Philadelphia

Pittsburgh (2nd)/Ottawa (7th):
Pittsbugh beats Ottawa

Montreal would beat New York
Pittsburgh beats Washington

Montreal takes Pittsburgh

Montreal Vs San Jose in Finals

San Jose Wins

CaptainSolo1138
04-08-2008, 12:47 AM
I posted my predictions for the first round elsewhere and don't really fell like doing it again, so I'll just skip to the tasty bits.

Eastern Conference champs: Pittsburgh
Western Conference champs: Detroit*

The Pens are gonna job the East. Hockey Jesus, Malkin and Hossa are healthy and Gary Roberts should be back in time for game 1. The Canadiens are having a great season and Carey Price has removed any and all question marks from behind his name, but they don't have the depth that the Pens do. Add that to the fact that they're missing Saku Koivu and they won't make it further than the conference finals.

The West is far tougher to call, but I can't not say the Wings. Outside of Calgary, I hate every single playoff team out of the West. I might've been OK with the Wild doin' it had they not scraped up journeyman goon Chris Simon at the deadline. His name doesn't belong on the Cup once, let alone twice.

(*if they beat Nashville)

CaptainSolo1138
04-08-2008, 04:31 PM
I think a double post is in order.

I'm not going to say any names, but someone just got tickets to game 5 in Detroit. :)

jedi master sal
04-08-2008, 04:56 PM
Oh ok, so now we are going to pick the whole thing?

Well based off of my previous post I'll go with these for subsequent rounds:
2nd round
Eastern Conference
1. Montreal Canadiens beats the Devils in 6
2. Pittsburgh Penguins beats the Capitols in 6

Western Conference
1. Detroit Red Wings beats the Avalanche in 6
2. San Jose Sharks beat the ducks in 7

Conference finals
Pens beat Canadiens in 6
Wings beat Sharks in 6

Stanley Cup
Pens win in 7

Darth Jax
04-08-2008, 07:08 PM
East:
Habs over Bruins in 4
Pens over Sens in 6
Caps beat Flyers in 7
Rangers over Devils in 5 (i'll root for anyone playing the Devils)

West:
Red Wings over Predators in 5
Flames over Sharks in 6
Wild over Avs in 6
Ducks over Stars in 5

This year could be very depressing for me. The only worthy team in the East is the Penguins. i'll always support the Canadian teams but Montreal just chokes too, too often come playoff time. The Avs are my team, but they haven't fully adjusted to the "new" NHL yet. Can't stand the Devils, Wings, Flyers and Stars.

2-1B
04-09-2008, 07:36 PM
I am rooting for the 3 Canadian teams, then the traditional American teams.

I just don't want one of the False-Hockey teams to win.

So I'll most likely be rooting for the representatives from the East.

No kidding, can you believe I'm actually watching the game right now ? Pittsburgh is up 2-0 in the 1st period.

CaptainSolo1138
04-09-2008, 10:23 PM
Pittsburgh BEASTED the Sens. MAF was on point in net and The Gary Roberts continued his ownage of the Sens. If the last minute of that game was an indicator of what's to come, The Gary Roberts and Big George Laraque are gonna be busting heads shortly after the faceoff Friday night.:thumbsup:

jedi master sal
04-09-2008, 11:17 PM
It was indeed SWEET game. I called the series in 6 and I don't want to jinx tht however...

Let's go PENS!

DarthQuack
04-11-2008, 09:56 PM
Great Rangers game tonight.....nice 2-0 lead heading back to the Garden, hopefully they'll take it in 4 or 5. Good to see the Flames take one from the Sharks as well.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
04-14-2008, 12:23 AM
These are my picks from a week ago and I am not altering them now that several series are 3 games in:

MTL over BOS in 5
NYR over NJ in 6
PIT over OTT in 6
WAS over PHI in 7

DET over NAS in 5
SJ over CAL in 6
ANA over DAL in 6
COL over MIN in 6

I am ashamed to say that last year I blew 7 out of the 8 opening round series. So my prognostication skills blow.

In the East, Montreal has the most balanced team and they look scary (even though they lost tonight). The B's looked tenative despite the win. Look for them to represent the East.

The West is much tougher to call with so many teams looking good. The Sharks and the Red Wings look like the teams to beat.

Either way, NHL fans are getting some entertaining hockey and some intriguing matchups. The Devs/Rangers and Habs/Bruins are always classic matchups, the Sens/Pens are a rematch from last year and the most entertaining series IMO are the Caps/Flyers.

The Ducks do not look like they are clicking at all, like the champions of last year. Nashville has a gutsy team and proved all the doubters wrong by making the playoffs this year but look helpless against the Wings. The Sharks and Flames have proven to be the most entertaining series out West so far providing a very physical series. The Avs/Wild are too close to call.

This year, I am sitting and watching the playoffs, enjoying all the action without sweating bullets.

DarthQuack
04-14-2008, 06:06 PM
Effing awesome Flames comeback last night after being down 3-0 after the first 3 minutes of the game with Kippersof getting yanked and CUJO brought in to hold down the fort and Calgary pulling out an amazing 4-3 win.

Darth Jax
04-14-2008, 07:12 PM
If you woulda told me before yesterday that CUJO would play another game in the NHL, i woulda thought you were nuts. Amazing his knees even allow him to skate to the crease.

CaptainSolo1138
04-14-2008, 10:39 PM
My very short-lived stint as a Nashville Predators fan is over now that they won a game and forced a game 5 (to which RB and I have tickets).

DarthQuack
04-16-2008, 08:30 PM
Another good Rangers/Devils game tonight....hopefully Ottawa will pull out a win tonight to make that series at least a little interesting.

Darth Jax
04-16-2008, 08:48 PM
Another good Rangers/Devils game tonight....hopefully Ottawa will pull out a win tonight to make that series at least a little interesting.

Even if they manage a win, that series is over. The pens are gonna get some rest as the other series look to go long.

CaptainSolo1138
04-16-2008, 09:15 PM
Ottawa may as well lose tonight, lest they incite the ire of Gary Roberts.

Gary Roberts is always on top, because Gary Roberts never f**ks up.

DarthQuack
04-16-2008, 09:23 PM
Nashville with the 1st period 2-0 lead.... :)

DarthQuack
04-16-2008, 09:35 PM
Rangers win!!!! 5-3.... don't blow this guys....

CaptainSolo1138
04-16-2008, 10:30 PM
Sens = Joke. I'm glad to see those overrated babies get their dues.

Oh, and for the record:

Bel-Cam Jos
04-17-2008, 07:43 PM
Nice pic there, Cappy. Pens get their rest, if they need it. First playoff series win since '01, and first sweep since '92 (which might've been the Cup Finals vs. Chicago), according to my local paper's article.

CaptainSolo1138
04-17-2008, 08:48 PM
BCJ, do you read The Pensblog (http://thepensblog.blogspot.com/)? Its by no means the best site for up-to-the-minute Pens news (they admit that), but it is probably the funniest sports blog I read.

I recommend it, especially given your geographic background.

DarthQuack
04-17-2008, 09:28 PM
Looking forward to the Calgary/San Jose swing game here in about 25 minutes....

Bel-Cam Jos
04-18-2008, 08:34 PM
BCJ, do you read The Pensblog (http://thepensblog.blogspot.com/)? Its by no means the best site for up-to-the-minute Pens news (they admit that), but it is probably the funniest sports blog I read.

I recommend it, especially given your geographic background.Wow! You mean there's a website designed for fans of Pittsburgh professional hockey clubs for people who were born in northern Ohio, have relatives in Nevada and Arizona, and currently live in a southern California city of more than 160,000 people? Amazing...

But no, I just check the PittsburghLive sports sites every so often.

Darth Jax
04-19-2008, 08:31 PM
Wow! You mean there's a website designed for fans of Pittsburgh professional hockey clubs for people who were born in northern Ohio, have relatives in Nevada and Arizona, and currently live in a southern California city of more than 160,000 people? Amazing...

But no, I just check the PittsburghLive sports sites every so often.

You can find anything on the web these days.

CaptainSolo1138
04-19-2008, 09:48 PM
Wow! You mean there's a website designed for fans of Pittsburgh professional hockey clubs for people who were born in northern Ohio, have relatives in Nevada and Arizona, and currently live in a southern California city of more than 160,000 people? Amazing...

But no, I just check the PittsburghLive sports sites every so often.Buuuurn? ;)

Duh. I totally forgot about your location. I mean, you've only had it posted for a year. Its the whole Pirates thing.

BSLOS?

What is with the Canadiens?! Of all the first round series, I figured that was the easiest sweep. I can't believe their going back to Belle for a game 7.

DarthQuack
04-19-2008, 10:05 PM
Since you didn't comment on it yet, how was Game 5 with RB???

CaptainSolo1138
04-19-2008, 10:30 PM
Since you didn't comment on it yet, how was Game 5 with RB???Incredible. By far the best Wings game I've been to. I think I still have goosebumps.

That place was riding high when they announced the final minute of play in the third, but you could literally hear a pin drop when Nashville scored fifteen seconds later.

I knew something was going to go wrong, though. All night the place was rockin' with impromptu chants of, "Ozzie, Ozzie, Ozzie". I had a really bad feeling when it was prompted on the screen over center ice for the first time with about a minute and a half to play.

jjreason
04-20-2008, 07:09 PM
All's well that ends well - and the Wings/Preds series ended well this afternoon. On to the 2nd round, where there are still a good number of blank spots on the brackets. Maybe the Stars & Sharks can finish out tonight so we can figure out what's going to happen next.

DarthQuack
04-20-2008, 08:23 PM
All's well that ends well - and the Wings/Preds series ended well this afternoon. On to the 2nd round, where there are still a good number of blank spots on the brackets. Maybe the Stars & Sharks can finish out tonight so we can figure out what's going to happen next.

I'd say yes to the Stars, but no to the Sharks....I'm rooting for the Flames to force a game 7....been a Flames fan in the playoffs for a few years now....fun to watch the C of Red.

CaptainSolo1138
04-20-2008, 11:25 PM
I'd say yes to the Stars, but no to the Sharks....I'm rooting for the Flames to force a game 7....been a Flames fan in the playoffs for a few years now....fun to watch the C of Red.Congrats.

I wouldn't care if the Stars were a penal team comprised of rapists. I hope to God they put the Sucks out.

2-1B
04-20-2008, 11:41 PM
Stars win !

I do like the Anaheim logo, though.

DarthQuack
04-21-2008, 01:03 AM
Nice Flames game indeed....Game 7's are where the fun is!

DarthQuack
04-23-2008, 12:32 AM
Effing Kippersoff.....:upset:

CaptainSolo1138
04-23-2008, 07:49 AM
Effing Kippersoff.....:upset:Meh. Don't blame Kipper. San Jose BEAT the Flames tonight. It was one of those games where Calgary could've scored 100 goals and San Jose would've scored 101. I wanted the Flames to win, too, but this actually works out best for me since that feeds Colorado to Detroit now rather than the Flames, whom I think are a far superior team to the Avs (regardless of what the seeding says).

Your second round predictions, please:

East
Canadiens v. Flyers: The Flyers are a joke who eeked past a weak Capitals team. If this series goes five I'll be shocked.

Penguins v. Rangers: I can not WAIT for this series to start. This series is less about the return of Jaromir Jagr to Mellon arena or Sidney Christ's playoff legacy than it is about Gary Roberts v. Sean Avery. This is going to be BY FAR the most physical series of the second round. Pittsburgh is a way better team than the Devils were, meaning this series might last six.

WEST
Red Wings v. Avalanche: Certainly not the rivalry it was 10 years ago, but there is still some bad blood here. Colorado is far too streaky to do much against Detroit, who has a defense that'll block shots in their sleep and fore check their own mothers. Detroit's only concern is the drama caused by their choice in goal. Oz has been awesome. Let's hope it continues. Detroit in 5.

Sharks v. Stars: I couldn't be less excited about a series. I have nothing against Dallas, they're just a team of over aged semi-stars who have been consistently mediocre for the last 15 years. I think they can beat the Sharks if they can quiet their "Big 3". Nabby can be figured out, so he won't be the X factor in this series. Brad Richards could make the difference for Dallas and inversely, Ryan Clowe can make the difference for SJ. Dallas in 7*.

*It will go 7 games, but it could go either way. I based my decision on the fact that I despise San Jose.

Darth Jax
04-23-2008, 08:23 AM
Pens and Habs both win in 6.

I so wanted Calgary to win last nite cuz i wanted the Av's/Stars match-up. Instead Theodore will be repeatedly tested by the Wings. The longer this series goes, the greater the chance the Av's can steal a game and get the upset. Honestly though they'll be doing good to win one, so it'll only go 5.

Stars/Sharks could be fun if the last regular season game was any indication. I picked against the Stars in the first round and it continues in the second. Sharks in 6.

DarthQuack
04-23-2008, 10:28 AM
EAST

MONTREAL OVER PHILLY IN 6
NEW YORK OVER PITTSBURGH IN 7

WEST

DETROIT OVER COLORADO IN 6
DALLAS OVER SAN JOSE IN 5

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
04-23-2008, 07:33 PM
Watched the Flyers/Capitals game last night and even though I had no emotional investment in that game, something inside of me does not want the city of Philadelphia to win a sports championship. So I nearly kicked the cat when I saw them win in OT. Philly got really lucky on their second goal and getting a Power Play in overtime. The Capitals had them on the ropes from the 3rd period on.

Did anyone catch the Canadiens fans who rioted after winning their game Monday night. That was after winning their first round series, a #1 seed beating an #8 seed (and it took them seven games to do so). Hate to see what will remain of the city if they go any further.

The Rangers/Penguins series will be a beaut as you see a young, dynamic team (the Pens) take on a veteran laced team (the Rangers). All eyes will be on Sean Avery after his antics from the last round against Joisy.

The West looks the best still with the Wings cruising to a series win against the Preds once Osgood started. The Avs are a good team but not talented enough to pull out a series win against Detroit.

The Stars look damn' good and may take advantage of a tired Sharks team that was grinded down from playing the Flames.

Rocketboy
04-23-2008, 07:33 PM
EAST
Canadiens in 5
Penguins in 6

WEST
Red Wings in 6
Stars in 6 (maybe 7)

DarthQuack
04-26-2008, 10:43 AM
Freaking Rangers can't hold a 3-0 lead......:upset:

DarthQuack
05-01-2008, 09:45 PM
The Rangers finally win one! 3-0. Nice shutout by Lundquist....One game at a time fellas!

Bel-Cam Jos
05-03-2008, 10:31 AM
Well, the Pens' run at perfection was stalled (I didn't really think that'd happen anyway... don't think it's EVER happened in the playoff-rounds era of sports, has it?), but winning this series will get them one step closer to losing the Cup in Mario's pool again! :thumbsup:

CaptainSolo1138
05-03-2008, 12:22 PM
(I didn't really think that'd happen anyway... don't think it's EVER happened in the playoff-rounds era of sports, has it?)Not to my knowledge. The last team to even start 8-0 in the playoffs was the '85 Islanders.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
05-03-2008, 12:30 PM
Detroit looked "scary good" the other night in Colorado, like a well-oiled machine. Dallas, even though they are losers of two straight, look like the team that will advance and play Detroit, which should offer an exciting series, as the Stars defensively are as smothering as a team can be. I am amazed at the front office of Detroit to keep finding the skill they do and I am always waiting for the other shoe to drop as they have been a first place team for 15 years straight with no signs of slowing down.

In the East, credit Martin Biron for his play in what is so far an upset of Philly over Montreal. The series though is far from over as the Flyers try to close out the series in the toughest NHL building to do so, in Montreal. Pittsburgh made light work of a Rangers team who looked impressive in the first round. A Wings Penguins Finals would be exciting to watch.

CaptainSolo1138
05-03-2008, 01:57 PM
You're wise beyond your years, LBC.

I was listening to them talk about Detroit on XM Home Ice the other day and I got all warm and fuzzy on the inside when they were talking about their unrelenting D and how their forwards are pretty much the hockey equvilent of well trained assassins. High times in the D right now, that's for sure*.

*Until September rolls around and the Lions bring with them their fun vacuum.

Rocketboy
05-05-2008, 11:24 PM
East: Pittsburgh Penguins vs. Philadelphia Flyers
West: Detroit Red Wings vs. Dallas Stars

Wings in 5
Pens in 6

Darth Jax
05-06-2008, 12:03 AM
Wings over south Stars in 5
Pens need 7 to beat the Flyers

CaptainSolo1138
05-06-2008, 07:35 AM
Detroit in 6 (I give Dallas 2 only by virtue of being the "hot" team right now)
Pens sweep (I'll further that by saying that they'll shut down Little Debbie Brier)

DarthQuack
05-06-2008, 09:05 AM
STARS in 6
PENGUINS in 7

CaptainSolo1138
05-06-2008, 09:22 AM
STARS in 6
You must've bumped your damn head, fella.;)

jedi master sal
05-06-2008, 09:39 AM
Pens in 6 over Philly.
Wings in 6 over Stars.

Then if all goes well:
Pens in 7 over Wings.

CaptainSolo1138
05-06-2008, 09:41 AM
Then if all goes well:
Pens in 7 over Wings.You and DQ must've been in the same accident.

Rocketboy
05-06-2008, 10:29 AM
Detroit in 6 (I give Dallas 2 only by virtue of being the "hot" team right now)I think Dallas may be too drained after game 7 OT (which is basically was, since 3 OTs = 1 game).

You and DQ must've been in the same accident.They bumped heads.

CaptainSolo1138
05-06-2008, 10:38 AM
They bumped heads.It was like that scene from "Swim Fan".

DarthQuack
05-06-2008, 11:12 AM
Calling it now, Stars will win Game 1.

jedi master sal
05-06-2008, 12:24 PM
Am I missing something here? Stars play the Red Wings, Wings in 6.
Pens play the Flyers, Pens in 6. Then for the cup, Pens over the Wings in 7.

Where did I make a mistake? (I'm talking technical mistake, not someone's opinion of my opinion.)

CaptainSolo1138
05-06-2008, 12:41 PM
Am I missing something here? Stars play the Red Wings, Wings in 6.
Pens play the Flyers, Pens in 6. Then for the cup, Pens over the Wings in 7.

Where did I make a mistake? (I'm talking technical mistake, not someone's opinion of my opinion.)
There was no mistake. You predicted your conference finals results and then gave your opinion of the end result of the Cup finals. As a person from Pittsburgh, you chose the Penguins to win the NHL championship trophy this year. If the Pens make it that far (which many experts believe) you have a 50% chance of being correct. On the other hand, RB and I are both from Michigan and huge Red Wings fans. He and I predict (again, like many experts) that the Red Wings will win the western conference. Contrary to your opinion, we are taking the other half of the bet that you have a 50% chance of being right on and we are siding with Detroit and betting, in the figurative sense, that they will be the champions of the NHL. You live there, we live here. We were giving you (and to be fair DQ) a "good natured ribbing" by saying you must've bumped your head, because in our parts, picking the Penguins to beat the Red Wings would be considered "crazy talk", as I'm sure the inverse would be labeled the same in Pittsburgh. I guess I didn't realize that that was unacceptable. On the other hand, I see how opinions usually get treated here, so I can't say I'm entirely surprised.

jedi master sal
05-06-2008, 05:27 PM
Oh, I get it now. I misinterpreted what you were saying and thought you were implying the Stars were going to beat the Wings (Not knowing you're rooting for Detroit.)

Well, Detroit (or parts thereabouts) was a second home to me for a time back in the mid 90's. I'll root for them to make it to the Cup, because I think it will be a fantastic series with them against the Pens. Here's hoping to see some octopus on the rink in your conference finals. (Though not against my Pens in the Cup....lol)

-Sal

2-1B
05-06-2008, 06:37 PM
I don't want to see Sal's in the Cup, but I do want to see Caps' Penis in the Cup...

CaptainSolo1138
05-07-2008, 07:48 AM
Between having it lounging in the Cup and tongue baths from Tom Brady, my penis is a pretty hot commodity this time of year.

I'll pencil you in. Perhaps you could visit your local seafood market and purchase some octopi? I imagine they have to feel a bit like 'gina, especially if you toss them in the microwave for a few seconds. Its not the schlong you requested, but some genitalia is better than no genitalia.

Oh, and go Wings!

Darth Jax
05-07-2008, 08:26 AM
someone's tiptoeing on that line that could get him banned for a day.

just think of the fun it'll be after the finals when you see the animation of chilly willy celebrating with the cup (go Pens).

jedi master sal
05-07-2008, 08:36 AM
someone's tiptoeing on that line that could get him banned for a day.

just think of the fun it'll be after the finals when you see the animation of chilly willy celebrating with the cup (go Pens).

Agreed. Cap and Caes, please clean up the banter a bit. I don't mind some casual banter and ribbing, but the mention of certain body parts and in the manner they were mentioned is inappropriate, considering the topic of the thread.

Thanks.

CaptainSolo1138
05-07-2008, 08:47 AM
Agreed. Cap and Caes, please clean up the banter a bit. I don't mind some casual banter and ribbing, but the mention of certain body parts and in the manner they were mentioned is inappropriate, considering the topic of the thread.

Thanks.
You started it!

Oh, Pens. Nevermind...;)

Sal, I think its proper that, as a resident of Pittsburgh, I demand you put this (http://bp0.blogger.com/_fw7iF68JR8k/SAxYwfa5cXI/AAAAAAAAOag/kxcsw05DUgo/s1600-h/-1.jpeg) in your car/office/yard (mine is up in my office at work).

jedi master sal
05-07-2008, 12:52 PM
You started it!

Oh, Pens. Nevermind...;)

Sal, I think its proper that, as a resident of Pittsburgh, I demand you put this (http://bp0.blogger.com/_fw7iF68JR8k/SAxYwfa5cXI/AAAAAAAAOag/kxcsw05DUgo/s1600-h/-1.jpeg) in your car/office/yard (mine is up in my office at work).

Hah, nice link. Sure, I'll print it out and have it in my office.

DarthQuack
05-09-2008, 09:18 AM
Calling it now, Stars will win Game 1.

Wow this guy was really on the ball!

jedi master sal
05-09-2008, 10:51 AM
Wow this guy was really on the ball!

Uh, considering you have a 50/50 shot, not a big deal.

Now call ALL of the wins in the Stars/Wings series and you may be on to something...lol.

jjreason
05-11-2008, 08:45 AM
6, 6 more wins! Ah Ah Ah Ah AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Sorry, Sesame Street is still in vogue at my place.

The Wings are now back to where they were last year before the wheels fell off the cart against the Ducks. I'm posting this in hopes of jinxing that same jinx from jinxing us again this year.

CaptainSolo1138
05-11-2008, 09:07 AM
Mike Ribiero = Joke (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAsN2A4dawg&eurl=http://thepensblog.blogspot.com/)

At least when that jobber gets a huge suspension the Stars will have an excuse for not winning.

How Bush league is that? Everyone in Anti-Wings Nation claims that Osgood gave him the business with the butt of his stick prior to this. Maybe he did (its hard to tell), but what IS obvious is that Oz never even looked in his direction and any contact was incidental.

DarthQuack
05-11-2008, 11:40 AM
Looks like it just hit him on the pads, but it was nice acting by Osgood as well.

Rocketboy
05-11-2008, 11:52 PM
Osgood did give Ribiero a small jab as he skated past, but there is no excuse for the two-handed swing to the upper chest, pads or not. That hit was far too close to the head.
Ribiero should have been suspended for it, not given an "undisclosed" fine. Bullsh*t.

CaptainSolo1138
05-12-2008, 07:43 AM
Ribiero should have been suspended for it, not given an "undisclosed" fine. Bullsh*t.
Whatever. Its obvious Detroit is already getting under their skin, which is great now that they're going to Dallas. Just another weapon for the Wings to use.

Now, please God, dress Aaron Downey!

And in the other series, doesn't Debbie Briere play for the Flyers? Could've fooled me.

jjreason
05-12-2008, 10:42 AM
It's "Danielle" Briere, and (s)he's simply chosen to wear the Cloak of Invisibility against the Penquins. How can you blame someone for enjoying Harry Potter?

Ozzy's butt-end to Ribeiro was fine, all part of heating up the opposition..... but going down like he'd been shot looking for a penalty to be assessed after the (weak - it was Ribeiro after all) slash was bush league - I think we all have to admit that.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-12-2008, 11:29 AM
Are the Pens the most under-the-radar 10-1 playoff record team in a long while? Good enough goaltending, flashes of great puck handling, some spectacular scoring mixed in with unlikely goals, steady defense and penalty killing. Sounds like good team play to me.

jjreason
05-12-2008, 11:42 AM
They are deadly. The only reasons I don't want them to win this year is because the Wings are still in the mix, and because Wayne Gretzky had to suffer through losing a Cup before he went and won 4 of the next 5. I truly think it would be very meaningful to Sid to lose one before he wins it all.

That being said, if the Pittsburgh ownership is going to be faced with losing some of those key players after this season (I'm not that up on their contracts - Hossa's not so vital, I mean the younger stars specifically, including Fleury) I can suffer through having them win this year. :D

CaptainSolo1138
05-12-2008, 11:49 AM
Are the Pens the most under-the-radar 10-1 playoff record team in a long while? Good enough goaltending, flashes of great puck handling, some spectacular scoring mixed in with unlikely goals, steady defense and penalty killing. Sounds like good team play to me.Isn't hockey as a sport under the radar? I guess I just read too much hockey stuff, because the Pens being where they are and doing as well as they are is no huge surprise to me.

thepensblog.com and goingfivehole.com are great for all things Pens, btw.

I can't find a good Wings blog. kuklaskorner.com is informative, but so is the newspaper. I want my webz to entertain me!

jedi master sal
05-12-2008, 12:45 PM
Well, I'm bias for the Pens. Being here in Pittsburgh, the Pens are front and center news.

I was lucky enough to go to the first game against Philly.

Their doing a more than fine job, but I don't want to jinx them, so I won't expound on that sentiment.

Though I will say I think it's still going to be the Pens/Wings in the cup.

It's a match up I'm very much hoping for.

Hockey town against the "Next One".

Oh ad what were people's thoughts on the Malkin short handed goal in game one against the Flyers? I LOVED that shot. At first it looked like he might try a little manuever on the goalie, but after the shot he took, it's like he said "F.U. this shot is being punched through" and it did. It's my favorite goal of the playoffs so far.

CaptainSolo1138
05-12-2008, 01:19 PM
it's like he said "F.U. this shot is being punched through" and it did. It's my favorite goal of the playoffs so far.I thought the same thing, but said "touche" when Mike Richards pranced in (SH no less) and pretty much did the same thing yesterday.

jjreason
05-12-2008, 03:50 PM
Sweet goal. I couldn't believe he just stopped and stood there on the blueline for what seemed like 5 seconds before he even took the pass.... how the hell do you lose track of Evgeni Malkin????

2-1B
05-12-2008, 06:56 PM
I thought the same thing, but said "touche" when Mike Richards pranced in (SH no less) and pretty much did the same thing yesterday.

I thought the same thing, but said "douche" when you pranced in and posted here yesterday.

Darth Jax
05-12-2008, 07:23 PM
I thought the same thing, but said "douche" when you pranced in and posted here yesterday.
post of the day, month and possibly year.

Malkin's was the better goal.

CaptainSolo1138
05-12-2008, 09:17 PM
post of the day, month and possibly year.That guy's a jerkwad. Don't stroke his ego.:mad::mad::mad:

Malkin's was the better goal.Even if by virtue of not being Mike Richards.

2-1B
05-12-2008, 10:32 PM
Don't stroke his...

What did Sal say about the adult humour ? :frus:

Keep it clean. :mad: And on topic. :thumbsup:

CaptainSolo1138
05-12-2008, 11:05 PM
What did Sal say about the adult humour ? :frus:All apolougies.

Keep it clean. :mad:Sourry.

And on topic. :thumbsup:Good pouint.

Anyway, the Wings are absolutely dominating. Between holding the puck for 2 hours every game and having a defense tighter than Don Cherry's butthole, whomever emerges from the East has a tough row to hoe.

jedi master sal
05-13-2008, 10:57 AM
why do touche and douche sound different?

One sounds like two-shay (two syllables)
while the other sounds like doosh (one syllable)

Never got that.

Ah well.

And he was stroking the EGO...nothing else...lol.

Now yesterday I was waxing my hockey stick, but that is an entirely different conversation. (and not to be taken out of context, or is it...)

CaptainSolo1138
05-13-2008, 11:11 AM
why do touche and douche sound different?

One sounds like two-shay (two syllables)
while the other sounds like doosh (one syllable)

Never got that.

Ah well.

And he was stroking the EGO...nothing else...lol.

Now yesterday I was waxing my hockey stick, but that is an entirely different conversation. (and not to be taken out of context, or is it...)
Stay on topic.:thumbsup:

jedi master sal
05-13-2008, 02:39 PM
Stay on topic.:thumbsup:

I did. "Hockey stick" was part of my post...heh heh.

CaptainSolo1138
05-13-2008, 02:48 PM
I'll let it go this time. Next time, however, I may have to report you to this section's moderator.

I'm a huge fan of Sidney Christ, but even I thought this (http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn267/OrangeCrushBlog/image003-1.jpg) was hilarious.

jjreason
05-13-2008, 04:23 PM
Okay, I can feel totally comfortable saying this now: Dallas is a joke. They had no business making it this far in the playoffs - Turco took them there on his back.

Hoo, boy. That feels better.

CaptainSolo1138
05-13-2008, 04:33 PM
Okay, I can feel totally comfortable saying this now: Dallas is a joke. They had no business making it this far in the playoffs - Turco took them there on his back.

Hoo, boy. That feels better.Really, the same can be said for Philly. They were paired with possibly the weakest third seed in the history of all third seeds in any playoff ever then they were the beneficiary of a Montreal implosion. Philly has won 8 games to get where they are, but they may as well have been given a coupon redeemable for eight wins in a playoff run once they berthed.

And I'm superstitious enough, Mr. Reason, to not agree with you*.

*Yet.

CaptainSolo1138
05-14-2008, 11:02 PM
And that's why I don't get too far ahead of myself and make predictions.

The Detroit goal that was disallowed in the first was a joke. I figured Dallas had sold their soul for their Stanley Cup over Buffalo and, in turn, shot their "crease gift" wad. I guess they wrangled a bit out of Brad Richards or something as an offering for that one.

But whatever. Complaining is like a rocking chair: It gives you something to do but you don't get anywhere. Detroit has three more chances to wrap it up, two of which are at home.

DarthQuack
05-15-2008, 07:05 AM
Should have waited til they got to the finals before the new 'tar.....bad karma :P

jedi master sal
05-15-2008, 08:16 AM
Should have waited til they got to the finals before the new 'tar.....bad karma :P

Yeah, I gotta agree with that one. I'm SO tempted to put a Pens one up, but I'm going to wait until they actually make it in. Hopefully that means tonight!

CaptainSolo1138
05-15-2008, 08:23 AM
Should have waited til they got to the finals before the new 'tar.....bad karma :PNah. I'm pretty superstitious and this doesn't bother me, so I decided to go ahead and rock it. Besides, its a countdown, not a coronation ceremony.

But if by some miracle this series goes to seven games, you can bet you butt that I'll have a Stars-atar up for that game! :D

DarthQuack
05-17-2008, 04:07 PM
Wooooooooo, Game 6 in Dallas monday night!!

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
05-18-2008, 01:17 PM
Is this the 33 year curse rearing its head again?

1942 was the first time a team came back from a 3-0 defecit in a playoff series (I believe it was Toronto overtaking Detroit) and 33 years later the 1975 Isles upset the Penguins after falling down 3-0.

Here we are 33 years later and I am sure Stars and Flyers fans are entertaining thoughts of their team catching a bit of luck in their quest for a series win after both falling behind 3 games to none.

However, the superior team is still ahead in each series, and from what I read, the superior team in those series of 1942 and 1975 fell behind only to come back and I don't see any comeback for either team (although an exciting series would be great). :thumbsup:

Darth Jax
05-19-2008, 08:28 AM
6-0 isn't such a bad way to close out a series at home. Give the fans plenty to cheer for.

Have a mtg after work this evening so won't be able to see how Turco fares in game 6.

CaptainSolo1138
05-19-2008, 08:32 AM
Regardless of the outcome of the Detroit/Dallas series, we now get to hear the lovely Vs. crew talk about how much more rested they will be.:rolleyes:

jjreason
05-19-2008, 10:22 AM
Man, I saw the semis as Detroit vs Pittsburgh playing a tennis match - with each team "holding serve" as they won the first 3 games of their series. Detroit then got broke, so did Pittsburgh and then Detroit again..... finally Pittsburgh served up a strong one yesterday. If the Wings can follow suit tonight, they'll have only one less day's rest - the Finals don't start until Saturday so that won't be an issue.

It WILL, however, become an issue if they have to play a game 7 between now and then. :upset:

jedi master sal
05-19-2008, 12:45 PM
6-0 isn't such a bad way to close out a series at home. Give the fans plenty to cheer for.

Have a mtg after work this evening so won't be able to see how Turco fares in game 6.

Don't you know it brother.

I was excited last night. With every goal, the Pens just kept deflating any hope for the Flyers. I think Philly quit playing for it some time in the second period...

jedi master sal
05-19-2008, 01:16 PM
Man, I saw the semis as Detroit vs Pittsburgh playing a tennis match - with each team "holding serve" as they won the first 3 games of their series. Detroit then got broke, so did Pittsburgh and then Detroit again..... finally Pittsburgh served up a strong one yesterday. If the Wings can follow suit tonight, they'll have only one less day's rest - the Finals don't start until Saturday so that won't be an issue.

It WILL, however, become an issue if they have to play a game 7 between now and then. :upset:

No offense to either Wings or Stars fans, but I'm hoping like hell it goes to game 7. Not only more time for the Pens to rest, but more opportunity for either the Wings or Stars to be tired, get sick, or dare I say hurt. I don't mean pain on anyone, but hockey isn't exactly a pansy sport and players get hurt all the time (the best of which play through that pain regardless).

Timmonen was a non-factor last night. Even Richardsen didn't contribute like he had earlier in the series. And where the hell was Briere?

Fluery looked amazing.

CaptainSolo1138
05-19-2008, 01:33 PM
No offense to either Wings or Stars fans, but I'm hoping like hell it goes to game 7. Not only more time for the Pens to rest, but more opportunity for either the Wings or Stars to be tired, get sick, or dare I say hurt. I don't mean pain on anyone, but hockey isn't exactly a pansy sport and players get hurt all the time (the best of which play through that pain regardless).Certainly no offense to you, Sal, but I'm already sick of this nonsense and no one has even won the west yet. I really don't think the whole rested v. tired thing holds much water, especially given the fact that both ends of the spectrum are regularly used as both a pro and a con ("too much rest" means they're either well rested or rusty, while "just came off of a game 7 victory" means they're either tired or loosened up).

Sadly, this'll be debated by the masses over the course of the next couple weeks, regardless of the outcome. Perhaps I'm just bitter because the goddamn Vs. crew will not give up on the fact that Dallas played a 3 or 4 OT game a FREAKIN' MONTH AGO! If they're playing well, they're "overcoming how tired they must be". If they're sucking hard, "they're still reeling from that multiple overtime game". These people are professional athletes. If you and I were playing blueline while Rocketboy, jj and mabs were up front and we played 6 periods, I'm pretty sure we'd be over it in a day or three. At the very least, we wouldn't call in to work because we were still tired a month later.

And for any fans of Mike Lange, this is GOLD. (http://bp0.blogger.com/_fw7iF68JR8k/SDEMbP9V4iI/AAAAAAAAQ2Q/FgN-jjRbBF0/s1600-h/-3.jpeg)

CaptainSolo1138
05-19-2008, 10:50 PM
Holy hell. What a game. I'm almost too drained to post.

On the reals, though, Dallas fans should be applauded for their class. Of course they booed; their team lost. But I'll be damned if AAA wasn't full until the bitter end. Well played, folks.

If the goal Draper scored with his bottom lip doesn't get a "Let this be a lesson to you kids watching..." out of Don Cherry I'll eat my hat. Incredible.

Bring on the avian.

jedi master sal
05-20-2008, 10:49 AM
Bring on the avian.

Hmm, I love wings, perhaps I'll EAT a bunch of them. Well at least FOUR!!!! out of seven.

muhahahaha!

CaptainSolo1138
05-20-2008, 10:55 AM
Hmm, I love wings, perhaps I'll EAT a bunch of them. Well at least FOUR!!!! out of seven.

muhahahaha!Oh, dear Salerno. The Pens are a fantastic team (really, I cannot stress that enough) but there is no way they sweep. They'll be lucky to get a split in Detroit.

I am willing to place a major (non-monetary, of course) bet on this series with you. Name it.:)

DarthQuack
05-20-2008, 11:26 AM
This is gonna be fun.....make it a good bet for the bystanders to cheer on :P

Rocketboy
05-20-2008, 12:28 PM
How about (besides bragging rights) the winner gets to choose the avatar and sig of the loser and the loser has to use them for a month?

CaptainSolo1138
05-20-2008, 01:07 PM
How about (besides bragging rights) the winner gets to choose the avatar and sig of the loser and the loser has to use them for a month?
I can agree with that.

Sal?

jedi master sal
05-20-2008, 01:11 PM
Oh, dear Salerno. The Pens are a fantastic team (really, I cannot stress that enough) but there is no way they sweep. They'll be lucky to get a split in Detroit.

I am willing to place a major (non-monetary, of course) bet on this series with you. Name it.:)

Oh I didn't say sweep, don't misquote me there. I just said 4 wings out of 7. I believe this contest is going to go the distance of 7 games.

jedi master sal
05-20-2008, 01:18 PM
I can agree with that.

Sal?

Nah, since I'm considered the "conservative" on these boards, I might find everything offensive, so you'd be pretty limited to avatars and sigs I'd likely be okay with using... <--sarcasm alert here...

It's not that I'm afraid to bet on the Pens, I just don't want to curse them. Kind of like not touching the Prince of Whales trophy. I'm a little superstitious like that.

Rocketboy
05-20-2008, 08:39 PM
Nah, since I'm considered the "conservative" on these boards, I might find everything offensive, so you'd be pretty limited to avatars and sigs I'd likely be okay with using... <--sarcasm alert here...

It's not that I'm afraid to bet on the Pens, I just don't want to curse them. Kind of like not touching the Prince of Whales trophy. I'm a little superstitious like that.Whatsa matter McFly, chicken?

2-1B
05-20-2008, 09:35 PM
Pens in 5.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-20-2008, 09:58 PM
I'm going to dare to be different; Penguins in 8.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
05-20-2008, 11:42 PM
I can see this either being a super short series, or go the distance. If it is a short series, the Pens will win. They have the speed to match Detroit and the youthful exuberance to win. Sprinkle in a few key veteran players like Laraque and Roberts and they have the right amount of balance.

At the same time, Detroit has looked pretty darn good these playoffs, aside from a few stumbles against the Preds and Stars. They pride themselves on a puck possession team, and will have that advantage against the Pens. They also have much more experience than the green Pens.

I will say Red Wings in 7.

Darth Jax
05-20-2008, 11:59 PM
Pens in 6.

Slicker
05-21-2008, 03:13 AM
The Wings'll win it in 5. I'll give the Pens some credit by letting them win one of 'em.

CaptainSolo1138
05-21-2008, 08:24 AM
I guess a prediction is in order.

Wings in 6.

The biggest matchup will be on the first lines. It'll come down to which set of forwards get the puck first (The Euro Twins/Holmstrom or Malkin/Crosby/Hossa). Detroit still holds a distinct advantage, though, due to their ability to absolutely suffocate the puck and dictate the pace of the game (like LBC said). If you need an example, watch the last ten minutes of game 6 vs. the Stars.

Defense is where Detroit will win (or lose) the series. Asking for solid play from Lidstrom is like telling a homeless guy to stink. Add in Kronwall's hitting, Rafalski's and Chelios' experience and the speed of Lilja and Lebda and you have a number one D. Pittsburgh's defense is outstanding, especially the Gill/Scuderi pairing, but they're not Detroit.

The goalie matchup is a wash. The top two playoff goalies are where they should be. Its awesome to see Detroit be the beneficiary of the hot goalie for a change! Osgood and MAF will continue to beast through the finals and in doing so will pretty much negate the other. Don't be surprised if either of these guys wins the Conn Smythe.

DarthQuack
05-21-2008, 08:34 AM
Pens in 7.

jedi master sal
05-21-2008, 08:38 AM
Whatsa matter McFly, chicken?

See I just knew someone couldn't read....

I said I wasn't afraid to bet on them, just superstious (sp?).

I'm confident they'll win, but I don't want to jinx them. Winning a silly bet on a collecting website means nothing to me. The Pens winning the cup means a great deal more.

So no, I won't be taking any bets on my Pens out of respect for the jinx. No other reason.

CaptainSolo1138
05-21-2008, 09:07 AM
See I just knew someone couldn't read....o buuuuuuuuuuuuuurn he got u gud RB!:mad::mad::mad:

I can totally understand the superstition thing. There is no way any action any of us take in our lives will have an impact on the outcome of the series, but my daily routine greatly alters on game days.

Rocketboy
05-21-2008, 09:25 AM
Bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk

jedi master sal
05-21-2008, 10:38 AM
Bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk

Wow, someone knows how to use copy/paste. Good for you. Did you think that up all on your own?

My prediction is Pens in 6 or 7. (Leaning towards 7)
Good breakdown there Cappy. Though I don't think you know the Penguins as well as you know the Wings. Gonchar will certainly work for the Pens in defense and is a good offensive defenseman.

I can say I'm honestly happy for a change at who the finalists are. Of course I'm bias towards the Pens, but I've liked the Wings for a long time. I used to live just outside of Detroit and would root for them when playing (though never over the Pens of course).

I'll be disappointed of course if the Pens lose, but I do think it's going to be a great series.

Beyond the Pens losing, my biggest let down would be for a disappointing series, such as a rout by either team. 4-0 is great and all, but I expect better from BOTH teams.

Too bad crappy VS has the first two games.

I'll be listening to good ol' Mike Lange for all the games however, so he'll make up fo VS shortcomings.

CaptainSolo1138
05-21-2008, 10:51 AM
Good breakdown there Cappy. Though I don't think you know the Penguins as well as you know the Wings. Gonchar will certainly work for the Pens in defense and is a good offensive defenseman.Gonch is solid, but the Gill/Scuds pairing has been their key pair thus far. Besides, he's kind of like Lidstrom: You don't have to mention him. Its assumed he's gonna do it.

Too bad crappy VS has the first two games.Agreed. NBC and, even moreso, CBC would do the games more justice. What sucks even more is that Herr Bettman scheduled the SCF to start on a Saturday, the same day the Pistons have a ECF game. Sales have been bad enough for Detroit in terms of tickets already, now you schedule them opposite the Pistons?! Thanks, jack off.

I'll be listening to good ol' Mike Lange for all the games however, so he'll make up fo VS shortcomings."Get in the fast lane, Grandma, this bingo game is ready to roll!":thumbsup:

Rocketboy
05-21-2008, 11:36 AM
Wow, someone knows how to use copy/paste. Good for you. Did you think that up all on your own?Would it impress you if I said I typed all that?

Looks like someone can't take a good natured ribbing.
:rolleyes:

Back on topic, the Pens are a very good team, no doubts there, and they deserve to play for the Cup. But the Red Wings are the better team all around, plain and simple.
Red Wings in 6.

Lazer Brain
05-21-2008, 12:06 PM
Pens are my fav!

GO SPURS GO!!!!

jedi master sal
05-21-2008, 12:49 PM
Gonch is solid, but the Gill/Scuds pairing has been their key pair thus far. Besides, he's kind of like Lidstrom: You don't have to mention him. Its assumed he's gonna do it.
Agreed. NBC and, even moreso, CBC would do the games more justice. What sucks even more is that Herr Bettman scheduled the SCF to start on a Saturday, the same day the Pistons have a ECF game. Sales have been bad enough for Detroit in terms of tickets already, now you schedule them opposite the Pistons?! Thanks, jack off.
"Get in the fast lane, Grandma, this bingo game is ready to roll!":thumbsup:

Ah good to see someone else knows a good ol' Langism!

Wow, I didn't even think of the B-Ball playoffs. That does suck for Detroit. But hey, if the Pistons are still in it, then you've got to be happy to have two different sports teams in the running for their respective championships. (I was pulling for the Tigers when they went.) No need to mention the Lions...

jedi master sal
05-21-2008, 12:50 PM
Looks like someone can't take a good natured ribbing.
:rolleyes:.

I took it and dished it back out. No worries, heh heh.

2-1B
05-21-2008, 01:22 PM
Funniest part about all this is the fact that a bunch of hockey fans are pretending to have an intelligent conversation. lol lol lol

CaptainSolo1138
05-21-2008, 02:31 PM
Funniest part about all this is the fact that a bunch of hockey fans are pretending to have an intelligent conversation. lol lol lolHockey supposedly has the highest rate of fans with collegiate degrees. Look it up (I was shocked, too).

Wow, I didn't even think of the B-Ball playoffs. That does suck for Detroit. But hey, if the Pistons are still in it, then you've got to be happy to have two different sports teams in the running for their respective championships. (I was pulling for the Tigers when they went.) No need to mention the Lions...Looking at the schedule, the Tigers have a home game Saturday night (7:05) as well. That means that the Tigers and Wings are playing about 3 miles from each other and the Pistons have a home game fifteen minutes away the same night. You could not pay me enough to be on I-75 between the hours of 5-7 or 10-12. I know its playoffs (i.e. a huge variable) but that's poor scheduling.

Slicker
05-22-2008, 12:45 AM
That really is poor planning. The Tigers couldn't help it but I you'd think they'd do something about the two Detroit teams playing on the same day at home. Same day away isn't a big deal.

I'm certainly with Sal in hoping that it's a good series. I think a good 7 game series would do wonders for the NHL.

Darth Jax
05-22-2008, 08:16 AM
I'm certainly with Sal in hoping that it's a good series. I think a good 7 game series would do wonders for the NHL.

Hockey and soccer will always be fringe sports in the US. In the right market they'll do great, but the country as a whole won't care about them.

I'd like to see a competitive series (with open ice) to allow both teams a chance to show how good with the puck they are. After playing the Flyers the Pens won't know what to do if the defense isn't clutching and grabbing them the whole game.

CaptainSolo1138
05-22-2008, 08:19 AM
That really is poor planning. The Tigers couldn't help it but I you'd think they'd do something about the two Detroit teams playing on the same day at home. Same day away isn't a big deal.
A lot of people are kind of miffed that Herr Commissar Bėttman waited until Friday for game one. I believe that the teams need to be rested but five days for Detroit and six for Pittsburgh is more than enough. They'd have been OK for Friday.

I talked to Uncle Mike last night and he's going to the Tigers game Saturday. I told him to have fun in the traffic.:thumbsup:

jedi master sal
05-22-2008, 09:53 AM
Mellon arena (where the Pens play), is going to open it up for fans to come and watch the game. There is going to be a nominal fee of $5 or $10 to get in. All those proceeds will go to charity.

I've already made plans to go with my fiancee. It will be cool to be with 18,000 other fans watching the game. Maybe not as good as being at the actual game, but the next best thing, IMO.

-Sal

CaptainSolo1138
05-22-2008, 09:59 AM
Mellon arena (where the Pens play), is going to open it up for fans to come and watch the game. There is going to be a nominal fee of $5 or $10 to get in. All those proceeds will go to charity.

I've already made plans to go with my fiancee. It will be cool to be with 18,000 other fans watching the game. Maybe not as good as being at the actual game, but the next best thing, IMO.

-SalThat is an awesome idea. Joe Louis Arena did that a few years ago when the Wings were last in the SCF. I haven't looked into it yet, but if they're doing it this year I would love to go.

TeeEye7
05-22-2008, 12:15 PM
Hockey and soccer will always be fringe sports in the US. In the right market they'll do great, but the country as a whole won't care about them.

My local ECHL team (the Bakersfield Condors) has always generated huge interest in the community. Things just got better yesterday as after more that 10 years of existence, the team finally has NHL affiliation! :thumbsup: A deal was reached with Anaheim. Now, we may finally see some big-league talent on the team being developed. We may now have a real playoff chance and not get eliminated in the early rounds as is our history.

Ducks!

jedi master sal
05-22-2008, 12:38 PM
That is an awesome idea. Joe Louis Arena did that a few years ago when the Wings were last in the SCF. I haven't looked into it yet, but if they're doing it this year I would love to go.

Whoo-hoo, fiancee secured us tix to both the Saturday and Monday games!

Like I said, not as good as the real thing, but it's the next best thing, IMO.

Now if they played Mike Lange's radio commentary, I'd be in Penguins heaven!

CaptainSolo1138
05-22-2008, 12:42 PM
Whoo-hoo, fiancee secured us tix to both the Saturday and Monday games! Excellent! Congrats for getting the tickets and congrats for having an awesome fiance!

Now if they played Mike Lange's radio commentary, I'd be in Penguins heaven!Michael, Michael, Motorcycle!

jjreason
05-24-2008, 10:59 PM
Tres mas......

Slicker
05-25-2008, 03:10 AM
I unfortunately didn't get to watch the game but saw the recap. Go Wings!

DarthQuack
05-25-2008, 06:19 AM
Talk about an butt kicking!

Bel-Cam Jos
05-25-2008, 10:42 AM
Perfect! The younglings can see what it's like to get whipped, like they were doing to the Eastern Conference recently, the Hot Wings can keep their overconfidence, the Pens make the changes they've been doing in their playoff run, and a nice six game series for the city of Pittsburgh to celebrate their third cup, the first non-Mario-as-player one. :thumbsup:

jjreason
05-25-2008, 11:00 AM
I'd rather win game 1 than lose it, obviously, but it IS the most meaningless game. Holding court at home and going to Pittsburgh up 2-0 is of the utmost importance... the Wings need to work just as hard keeping Crosby in check in game 2.

I didn't see this as an *** kicking, by the way. I was tense up until the 2nd goal went in - and that was a couple of minutes into the third. Up until then I felt Detroit deserved to win... but Pittsburgh had found just as many really good chances to score as the Wings had. The first goal was HUGE, as it will be in each and every game of this series.

2-1B
05-25-2008, 01:53 PM
Hockey supposedly has the highest rate of fans with collegiate degrees. Look it up (I was shocked, too).

I was basically going for the easy Mullet reference...but your research is certainly appreciated. :)

jedi master sal
05-26-2008, 09:37 AM
I certainly won't make excuses for the Penguins in game one.

One big problem they've had for years is they don't attack the puck on defense when in the opposition's zone. Detroit did that and quite well.

One thing I'm hoping for is that this loss will wake the Pens up. This is for real and for it all. They can't afford to continue playing like that and think they'll win.

Coach Therian is changing up the lines and rather dramatically. That's something I'm actually against. I think that's going to hurt them worse than than going over the game and telling the players what it is they need to do to pick up their game.

My fiancee and I disagree with this approach. She's for the line change, citing that Therian is putting a "grinder" on each line to get to the puck. So we'll see tonight when we go to the game being showed at the arena here in Pittsburgh.

-Sal

Slicker
05-27-2008, 04:19 AM
Detroit looked stellar again tonight. Osgood stonewalled every attempt to score (and Pitt had some fine chances) and the offense was once again too much.

CaptainSolo1138
05-27-2008, 08:33 AM
There is a distinct difference between being "dominant" and "shutting fools down". Detroit has thus far been a master of the latter. The best analogy I've read thus far, courtesy of The Pensblog, is that "trying to score on Detroit's neutral zone defense is like trying to screw your highschool girlfriend in front of her parents".

But things are bound to change. The series heads to Mellon Wednesday, where the Pens have played absolutely out-of-their-minds hockey during the post-season. If Detroit wants at least a split, they need to continue their strangle hold on the neutral zone and keep squeezing Crosby, Malkin and Hossa out of the play. The biggest factor, I think, will the the inevitable physical play that showed up at the end of game 2 that is going to roll over into the rest of the series. I said in my initial preview that the Pens physicality scared me, and now they're rearing their goatee'd heads. Roberts and Orpik both had huge impacts last night and it can't be long until Big George Laraque makes an appearance. I'll be stunned if Aaron Downey isn't dressed for Detroit Wednesday night.

jedi master sal
05-27-2008, 05:49 PM
Once again, not making excuses for the Pens.

Gawd, it was dreadful for the second time being in Mellon Arena watching the game with many thousand other fans only to come away with yet another loss.

I've been complaining about the Pens lack of attacking the puck and/or the man with the puck for years now. That and they dump the puck in the opponents zone way to much for my tastes. They are not allowing a play to develop for themselves.

One more game like the either of the first two and I'd say the Pens are done. It's already become a must win. That's a bad place to be, even if you're coming back to your home ice.

I've not lost all hope, but it damn near looks like it's Obi-wan Kenobi time (help my Obi-wan Kenobi , you're my only hope).

Kudos to the Wings (not the fans either, just the players) for their stellar performance thus far.

2-1B
05-27-2008, 07:13 PM
I want the Red Wings to win just so I can see the rioting footage from throughout Detroit.

CaptainSolo1138
05-27-2008, 08:02 PM
Kudos to the Wings (not the fans either, just the players) for their stellar performance thus far.:confused:

2-1B
05-27-2008, 08:24 PM
He was talking to the people with Red Wings avatars.

I recommend :me: avatars to avoid conflict, since everyone loves The Deuce.

mabudonicus
05-27-2008, 11:16 PM
You know Cappy, it's always best to douche after good-natured ribbing
:beard: Iso&Baws
Yeah, good natured ribbing

Detroit in 6

CaptainSolo1138
05-27-2008, 11:37 PM
You know Cappy, it's always best to douche after a good-natured ribbing

Word. I'm calling sour grapes. I have a hunch our (my?) praise would be equally reserved if the series were favored the other way.

Whatever. I can take a jobbing. It doesn't change anything.

2-1B
05-27-2008, 11:50 PM
Wings in 5.

jedi master sal
05-28-2008, 03:23 PM
What I mean directly is that fans take the credit for how their team is doing. There is something to be said about playing at one's home stadium, but the fans only contribute so much. It's the skill of the players. Besides the overwhelming majority of fans never get to see an actual game.

So it's to those fans who take credit for how their team is playing to whom I'm speaking to, not Cap in particular. (Though Cap, if you take credit for your team's success, then yes, you'd have to be included in that bunch.)

I don't take credit when my teams do well, though sure as heck I root for them. But I also don't take the "punishment" of them doing bad either.

Again, my being a fan of one or another team really has no bearing on their gameplay, so I can't see taking credit for success or direct ribbing for their failure.

I don't mind a smidge of gloating either way. It's expected. I just abhor fans who act as though it were they who were on the field of play (be that ice, grass, etc.).

So again to be perfectly clear this was not a slight on Cap at all as other inferred it may have been.

-Sal

CaptainSolo1138
05-28-2008, 04:29 PM
So if the team you're rooting for wins, do you sit quietly with your hands folded in your lap? I mean, if you so much as clapped or high-fived, you'd be celebrating like they are, when they're the ones who did all the work.

Again, I'm calling sour grapes and won't hold this argument against you.

jedi master sal
05-28-2008, 05:47 PM
So if the team you're rooting for wins, do you sit quietly with your hands folded in your lap? I mean, if you so much as clapped or high-fived, you'd be celebrating like they are, when they're the ones who did all the work.

Again, I'm calling sour grapes and won't hold this argument against you.

NO of course I whoop it up, but I don't take credit for the win. I celebrate their wins and am happy to have been in the city they play for. As well being a fan for years of course it would make me happy.

When the Steelers won the Super Bowl a couple of years ago, I went out on the porch with a large cooking pot and a ladle and beat the hell out of the inside of the pot making noise. But again, I don't take credit for the win.

I'll give congrats to those who rooted for a team that won, but should they start taking that as it being something they themselves accomplished, well that's where I draw the line.

For instance if someone says, "Yay! The Giants won! I've been a fan all my life and I'm so happy for them." I wouldn't be offended by that.

However if they were to say "Did you see when we stomped all over the Patriots!" That I would take offense to because that person had nothing to do with the win and is trying to associate themselves with that team victory.

That's the jist of my original comment. No slight was intended to anyone on these boards. I guess it's hard to read one's intent on the net. Were I to speak the words, the intent of my meaning would have been clearly known.

Anyway, lets get back to the business at hand....

I'm still rooting for the Pens, but it looks like they've got a big hole to get out of. Tonight is going to speak volumes not just for how they play but if they win. If they don't win game 3, they might as well give the cup to the Wings tonight.

mabudonicus
05-28-2008, 05:58 PM
For the record, I do indeed refer to Leafs victories as "we stomped 'em" but I have no illusion that I had anything to do with it- might be a Canadian thing since I know a few other folks who use the same terminology and there's no contempt for folks who choose to use such phraseology

hmm better leave it at that

jedi master sal
05-28-2008, 08:11 PM
For the record, I do indeed refer to Leafs victories as "we stomped 'em" but I have no illusion that I had anything to do with it- might be a Canadian thing since I know a few other folks who use the same terminology and there's no contempt for folks who choose to use such phraseology

hmm better leave it at that

Mabs, it's definitely not a Canadien thing. No worries bro, you're still aces with me. So is Cappy btw.

CaptainSolo1138
05-28-2008, 09:40 PM
Alright, Sal. I do see your point, and it drives me nuts as well when people use the term "we" when they describe a sporting event in which they had no part.

[/feud]

Back to the game.

*INTERMISSION EDIT* Detroit has looked like absolute mud. The way they've played through two periods, they're lucky its not 20-1. The Franzen goal was kind of their game thus far in a nutshell: It wasn't pretty, but it was good enough. And I hope NBC is happy with the Sindey Crosby (http://goingfivehole.blogspot.com/2008/05/sidney-crosby-playoff-beard-watch-day_27.html) show they so desparately wanted.

General Babcock will rally his troops for the 3rd. o yes

CaptainSolo1138
05-28-2008, 11:23 PM
Well, well, well. Somebody figured out the neutral zone trap. Well played, Michelle* Therrien.

There was a feeling of impending doom from the moment I heard the Mellon faithful chanting, "Let's Go Pens!". Seriously, goosebumps stuff if you step out of the shadow of the giant game yet to be played and look at how awesome hockey fans are. Its like soccer without the hooligans.

I'm by no means touchy-feely with Pens Nation. They played a solid game, but Detroit blew one too many chances (1/5 on the PP ain't gonna get the job done). I don't know if it was a warm day in Pittsburgh today, but the ice looked really slow. That's not an excuse for Detroit's poor play, either, as it looked like the Pens were feeling it, too. The puck had a few wonky hops here and there and didn't want to settle.

I held out hope until the Wings s*it the bed on their final PP in the third. Since I know Mike Babcock is an avid SW fan and is no doubt reading this, here it is:

PP chance-> Line Change (usually PP1=SL1)-> Control neutral zone-> Proceed into opposition's zone-> Deploy one of several standard PP strategies (for a 5-on-4, the "star" arrangement seems to work well)-> Allow the defensemen to cycle the puck betwixt themselves or with the odd forward-> At this time, the appropriate winger OR center should fall into the gap left in front of the goal, the so-called "slot"-> the players cycling the puck should find this open man in the "slot" and give him the puck, allowing him to shoot it->Repeat as necessary.

Is it that hard? That final PP was such a mess. Even Amy Winehouse thought it was ugly.

Onto the inevitible griping. I'm not one to complain, espacially in light of Osgood and Franzen's Oscar worthy performances in game two, but there were a lot of missed calls tonight (some in Pitt's favor to be fair). The most egregious was Brooks "My mother should've swallowed" Orpik's little fleury at around the 10:00 mark of the third. If you have TiVo, count how many of his four hits at that time were illegal (hint: three). The jobbing of Holmstrom is old-hat. Who doesn't expect Gary Roberts to lay someone out? If Datsyuk looks at Fleury funny, he's getting a Hal Gill karate chop. But Orpik's (spoiler) three hits had boarding and/or roughing written all over them. Seriously, crank up the TiVo machine and watch the bush league-iness of it. Somewhere in hell, Claude Lemiux is clapping.

I was pretty miffed and couldn't bring myself to watch the final five seconds, but then I realized that Detroit lost two to the Nashville "definition of 'backing into the playoffs'" Predators.

Do it.

*That's how its pronounced. Own it.

Darth Jax
05-29-2008, 12:00 AM
the 3rd period was exactly what hockey needs to attract a larger fan base. back and forth action with plenty of scoring chances.

i'll second your complaint about the officiating, there were plenty of missed calls for both sides.

orpkin's last hit was definitely boarding, the other 3 looked ok to me with the way the officials were letting them hit throughout the game.

jedi master sal
05-29-2008, 08:27 AM
I think officiating has been bad for all three games. Bad calls for both teams.

As far as the coach's name, it's funny, some of the local sportscasters here in Pittsburgh have taken to calling him "Mike."

My real name can be male or female depending on if you say it the short way or not. So this sort of thing doesn't really bother me at all.

All I really want to say about game three is, it's about time and that the Pens looked a bit better.

I still see this series going to a game seven. I really hope it does too. That's an excitement builder.

DarthQuack
05-29-2008, 08:50 AM
Pens in 7.

Awww yea....right on track. :)

Bel-Cam Jos
05-29-2008, 11:20 PM
The Penguins have discovered an ancient Chinese secret: team which scores goals at home, wins game. I would love to have the Pens get smoked in their 3 losses, and win 4 close games en route to the Cup, a la the 1960 Pirates vs. the Nobody-Will-Beat-'Em Yankees.

jjreason
05-31-2008, 03:23 PM
I would like for the Wings to win tonight, and again on Monday. :D Diff'rent strokes for Diff'rent folks I guess, eh Willis?

jjreason
05-31-2008, 11:03 PM
Done and done. Huge win tonight in Pittsburgh, where the Pens had been invincible for 4 months and they even conceded the first goal. In my mind, that should just about do it. :thumbsup:

I'm going to give out my first ever :beard: of the game award to Pavel Datsyuk, for showing everyone that superstars can take the body (hard, by the way) and make the difference even when they're not on the score sheet. Absolutely awesome.

CaptainSolo1138
05-31-2008, 11:48 PM
Well said, jj.

I also want to add that the Pens had the game handed to them when Detroit was called for obstruction (a penalty I think was last called sometime in the 1940s) on Bettman's Baby Boy and the Pens proceeded to crap the bed on the 5-3. Maybe in game 5 we'll see Franzen get called for "giving him the business".:rolleyes:

And how about Detroit's secondary scoring?! Jiri freakin' Hudler?!

2-1B
06-01-2008, 12:28 AM
Wings in 4 and a half.

TeeEye7
06-01-2008, 06:41 PM
Maybe in game 5 we'll see Franzen get called for "giving him the business".:rolleyes:

WAY too funny, Cappy! lol

jjreason
06-01-2008, 07:03 PM
Way OT - but I think this might be the first time I've ever seen TI with a non-fingerprint 'tar. Interesting that it's Dengar - I think this connection between you and mabs might be what others would call.... unnatural. lol

Bel-Cam Jos
06-01-2008, 09:27 PM
Ouch. Both goals were weak ones (not that I'm whining, just that one was a soft through-the-arms dribbler and the other was a just-after-the-power-play breakdown by the Pens). I don't see a three game winning streak for Pittsburgh, but I would not be surprised if it makes it to game 7.

Darth Jax
06-01-2008, 10:18 PM
The second goal was a well deserved one for the Wings. When you turn the puck over in your zone, not once, but twice without managing to get it cleared bad things happen.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
06-01-2008, 10:28 PM
Pittsburgh needs its players not named Malkin and Crosby to step up. You aren't going to win the Cup when you have a one-lined hockey team.

CaptainSolo1138
06-01-2008, 10:30 PM
Pittsburgh needs its players not named Malkin and Crosby to step up. You aren't going to win the Cup when you have a one-lined hockey team.
In Sindey's defense, he did have two tallies in game two. But there needs to be an Amber Alert put out for Geno. I can't remember a player of his caliber ever dropping of the face of the earth in the SCFs like he has.

Darth Jax
06-01-2008, 10:32 PM
Michelle shuffles the lines some, but Malkin and Crosby don't typically play together. Crosby's line has done ok, but Malkins line has yet to produce a single point in the cup finals.

TeeEye7
06-01-2008, 11:09 PM
Interesting that it's Dengar - I think this connection between you and mabs might be what others would call.... unnatural. lol

If you were born on March 8th, too, you would understand! ;)

Darth Jax
06-01-2008, 11:51 PM
If you were born on March 8th, too, you would understand! ;)

At least you didn't claim it was a 'Canuck' thing

CaptainSolo1138
06-02-2008, 08:15 AM
Today is the reason I'm a hockey fan. Anyone who is a Wings fan is probably fidgeting in their office chair like I am at 8:00am, a whole twelve hours before game time. Today is the reason why we watch relatively meaningless games versus the Predators in October. Today is the reason we didn't give up when Detroit was beat by everyone except for the Girl Scouts in February. Today is payment for screaming at our TVs for the last eight months.

Do it.

jjreason
06-02-2008, 09:30 AM
It's weird, but rooting for the Wings seems to allow me only so much "glee" when they win. It's more of a "relief". It's a tough row to hoe for the boys when everyone's expectations are for a championship at the end of the year.

I'm eagerly anticipating that sense of relief though. Very eagerly, oyes. :yes:

DarthQuack
06-03-2008, 12:50 AM
Game 6.....coming soon to a TV near you.

Darth Jax
06-03-2008, 08:20 AM
Game 5 had a little bit of something for everyone: goals, lots of back and forth action, hits, blood, OT's and several really, really bad calls by the refs.

Nice to see Sykora score a goal and apparently Malkin finally made his way to the ice and picked up an assist. He's been much more of a hindrance to his team than any kind of help. How difficult is it to fire the pack into the zone when your team needs a change rather than the weak dump-ins he has. The red wings even look at him and he'll hand the puck over to them.

jedi master sal
06-03-2008, 08:53 AM
Whew am I tired...

All I can say is WOW! No THAT is what the Stanley Cup playoffs is all about. Play like it's your last game EVER.

It's already being called a game for the ages. I don't know about that, but it was fun to watch and I was on the edge of my seat from the last few minutes of the 3rd period all the way through to the end of the game in the 3rd OT.

Realize that was very nearly TWO games worth of hockey there.

That game was something the NHL really needed.

I'm obviously happy with the result of that game. It at the least means the Pens have made a series of this.

Now for game 6. Gawd, I hope the Pens win that one. I want a game seven match up so bad.

This is all the buzz here in Pittsburgh. It's on the tv and radio news shows and people everywhere you go are talking about it this morning.

Lots of tired but very happy fans here, and I'm proud to be one of them.

LET'S GO PENS!!!

CaptainSolo1138
06-03-2008, 03:40 PM
*sigh*

I still can't talk about it, so I'll keep it brief.

Detroit out-gunned the Pens in every way last night but MAF was up to the challenge. The penalties in OT were garbage (especially the two roughing the passer interference calls) and I'm not entirely convinced that Hudler opened a fresh wound (but since the goal was scored in the first two minutes anyway that argument is rendered moot). Either way, Bettman's Baby Boy stays alive to fight another night. Hooray...

jjreason
06-03-2008, 04:51 PM
Frustrating for us Wings fans for sure - I'm bloody exhausted today after sitting up stressed out half the night. I didn't settle down to really sleep for about an hour after the final goal was scored due to the stress.

After the first OT period the game really slowed down. It got more and more apparent to me that it was going to take a real fluke to beat Fleury, and the high one that landed on top of the net just about did it. I would have bet my kids that the Penguins were going to score on the 4 min pp, and sure enough that's what happened.

Kudos to Fleury, pure goalie steals happen from time to time and I can't think of any way else to describe a 60 save performance. That's just ridiculously incredible.

I liked that Mike Babcock stayed on the Bench and clapped for his guys as they came off all dejected-like, I think that goes a long way. Game 6 is going to be a lot like game 3.... but I think the Wings have just as good a chance at winning in Pitt now as the Pens after breaking all those streaks in game 4.

Time to regroup and focus on what they did right for about 5.5hrs last night, which was nearly everything. The Wings ARE going to win this Cup. :yes:

jedi master sal
06-03-2008, 05:42 PM
I can say that not only has this brought more Pens fans out, but it seems to have rejuvenated the team itself. They fought hard and know they can beat Detroit IN Detroit. If Fleury keeps up the play like he did in the 3 OTs, the Pens have every chance of coming out the victors.

This is an exciting Stanley Cup series!

Bel-Cam Jos
06-03-2008, 10:49 PM
The Wings hucked almost 60 shots at him. :eek: I was so down after the three unanswered goals, but for a change, an empty net offense did what it's hoped it'll do. Let's hope for a game seven, 'Boigh backers! :thumbsup:

jedi master sal
06-04-2008, 08:33 AM
Let's hope for a game seven, 'Boigh backers! :thumbsup:

You know I'm there BCJ!

Let's Go Pens!

CaptainSolo1138
06-04-2008, 12:35 PM
I tend to feel much more justified in my gripes when the exact things are being called into question by Mike Babcock. (http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/24957002/)

jjreason
06-04-2008, 02:03 PM
The Wings hucked almost 60 shots at him. :eek: I was so down after the three unanswered goals, but for a change, an empty net offense did what it's supposed to do.

I'm hearing Neil Young singing in my head right now.....

"Tonight's the night..... tonight's the night."

Awwwww YEAH!!!! LET'S GO WINGS!!!!!!!

mabudonicus
06-04-2008, 10:25 PM
here it comes y'all
OYES

jjreason
06-05-2008, 12:04 AM
SO many thoughts, so much relief. I could gripe to no end about the last penalty called against Detroit that led to Pittsburgh's last goal..... but all's well that ends well.

oyes indeed. :yes::thumbsup::love:

Darth Jax
06-05-2008, 08:39 AM
i could gripe about all the non-calls during the game, but fleury let in 2 soft goals after his absolutely stellar performance in OT on Mon. Hossa almost sent the game to OT, but almost isn't good enough. The Pens had a great run and have a lot to look forward to over the next few years.

CaptainSolo1138
06-05-2008, 09:05 AM
*whew*

YEAH!!!

What a game. Both teams came out swinging. Hard. Detroit's 5-3 PK early on set the tone for the entire contest. No more BS.

I want to extend many thanks to MAF for the game winner. (http://a0.vox.com/6a00c2251ce3f4f21900e398f379e80004-320pi) Much obliged, old bean.

Today (http://d.yimg.com/a/p/afp/20080605/capt.cps.mqc25.050608104805.photo01.photo.default-355x512.jpg) will (http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20080605/capt.dd54ef2a0b4d4d7eb9879703b77b0e0a.stanley_cup_ red_wings_penguins_hockey_paco183.jpg) be (http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20080605/capt.ada4ed12c7314ab58667b0df9ba79f59.stanley_cup_ red_wings_penguins_hockey_paco182.jpg) the (http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20080605/capt.9dffe85cd7e94c759dd6b500a5e8495b.stanley_cup_ red_wings_penguins_hockey_paco177.jpg) sweetest (http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20080605/capt.3020aaa0a7e34c6b8a02b3c489ae2eed.stanley_cup_ red_wings_penguins_hockey_paco174.jpg) day (http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20080605/capt.e8745f59c5f84d6b9d763033e370685d.stanley_cup_ red_wings_penguins_hockey_paco175.jpg) in (http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20080605/capt.bcb765d7771a46a79e57840f305f348a.stanley_cup_ red_wings_penguins_hockey_paco169.jpg) a (http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20080605/capt.4d08992f7d944a83a8ac8d673e0be846.stanley_cup_ red_wings_penguins_hockey_paco168.jpg) long (http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20080605/capt.ee077dfff89346a5b7335eb468fac27c.stanley_cup_ red_wings_penguins_hockey_paco166.jpg) time. (http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20080605/capt.0f4979142be046e1b3eb34338e5e0084.stanley_cup_ red_wings_penguins_hockey_paco165.jpg) No (http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/66/fullj.ecc46b8c14ec5b8cc0e246030ce552e1/ecc46b8c14ec5b8cc0e246030ce552e1-getty-81150942cp231_detroit_red_w.jpg) more (http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/a7/fullj.c4738c96ba21e082515b446fb14d2104/c4738c96ba21e082515b446fb14d2104-getty-81150942cp226_detroit_red_w.jpg) superstitious (http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/b3/fullj.d9c6cf5a78fdcd1187f795128820c310/d9c6cf5a78fdcd1187f795128820c310-getty-81150942cp210_detroit_red_w.jpg) rituals, (http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/ba/fullj.39b6f6ce78c27383668866132b9a49a2/39b6f6ce78c27383668866132b9a49a2-getty-81150942cp204_detroit_red_w.jpg) the (http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20080605/capt.ae7e8aca589c4a43835b7ca20fd7ef5d.stanley_cup_ red_wings_penguins_hockey_paco162.jpg) ol' (http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/05/fullj.f8b45cdf046bcb99d1893ab21612350d/f8b45cdf046bcb99d1893ab21612350d-getty-81150942cp203_detroit_red_w.jpg) muscles (http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/65/fullj.e00713fa21baa622d94cfd1b009e8b98/e00713fa21baa622d94cfd1b009e8b98-getty-81150942cp201_detroit_red_w.jpg) can (http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20080605/capt.1aff3904e3d74c35b7f8cbed6e8b75c0.stanley_cup_ red_wings_penguins_hockey_paco161.jpg) relax (http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/photo?slug=75a3758ed450243db5d7e32339f23ccb-getty-81150942cp198_detroit_red_w&prov=getty) a (http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/ae/fullj.c97d144f263c9570b687a189dc96ffe2/c97d144f263c9570b687a189dc96ffe2-getty-81150942cp190_detroit_red_w.jpg) bit, (http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/ef/fullj.d0e03506799267f8a35ae757ea9916f5/d0e03506799267f8a35ae757ea9916f5-getty-81150942cp189_detroit_red_w.jpg) no (http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20080605/capt.596951b370954089b2d80c252ba85d1f.stanley_cup_ red_wings_penguins_hockey_paco153.jpg) pounding (http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/01/fullj.9f9caf1cbc7b288fb722ef9e47e1873f/9f9caf1cbc7b288fb722ef9e47e1873f-getty-81150942cp175_detroit_red_w.jpg) heart (http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20080605/capt.a923f4b872e94313893952e0415caf77.stanley_cup_ red_wings_penguins_hockey_paco156.jpg) thinking (http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/af/fullj.50597f1590cd05f828fb6822212715aa/50597f1590cd05f828fb6822212715aa-getty-81150942cp171_detroit_red_w.jpg) about (http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20080605/capt.235e4ab8e6bf43b2950dee61a1c12407.stanley_cup_ red_wings_penguins_hockey_paco158.jpg) the (http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/e5/fullj.09e8289bbb1677f7fd2b4c2f4fa8f5b5/09e8289bbb1677f7fd2b4c2f4fa8f5b5-getty-81150942cp170_detroit_red_w.jpg) next (http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20080605/capt.d92205f2b95b441a95e5e9a09a7634ea.stanley_cup_ red_wings_penguins_hockey_paco148.jpg) meeting. (http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20080605/capt.6914e4521f454e8ebbe6e2e549f97b71.stanley_cup_ red_wings_penguins_hockey_paco145.jpg) The (http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/1c/fullj.f5628c851a9a39f31220bfa93721097a/f5628c851a9a39f31220bfa93721097a-getty-81150942cp163_detroit_red_w.jpg) Hardware (http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/eb/fullj.3116730b93ac12a47ebfe48270579419/3116730b93ac12a47ebfe48270579419-getty-81150942cp158_detroit_red_w.jpg) is (http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/4f/fullj.b49f641010e3eb083441ad810cc97be0/b49f641010e3eb083441ad810cc97be0-getty-81150942cp155_detroit_red_w.jpg) back (http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/4e/fullj.a1236a74a9eebdf1c27814d456a9441f/a1236a74a9eebdf1c27814d456a9441f-getty-81150942cp152_detroit_red_w.jpg) at (http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20080605/capt.1df083efc71345d8999e9a5d5abd20f9.stanley_cup_ red_wings_penguins_hockey_paco144.jpg) home (http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20080605/capt.be7a425374dc4bd68cee47557ceb4d05.stanley_cup_ red_wings_fans_hockey_migm105.jpg) in (http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20080605/capt.58eeb9daa33e4d35bd0f174e02b555e7.stanley_cup_ red_wings_penguins_hockey_paco139.jpg) Hockeytown. (http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20080605/capt.70dffb24da9d47d89186e3f798c79d92.penguins_red _wings_hockey_mijm112.jpg)

To borrow a phrase from another Detroit team: Bless you, boys. (http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/80/fullj.873f42ad3c81760d0ba0e67231016257/873f42ad3c81760d0ba0e67231016257-getty-81150942cp115_detroit_red_w.jpg)

Big thanks to RB and jjreason, both of whom had a presence at my house in some way last night. RB and I remain undefeated when he and I watch/attend games and now a phone call from Mr. Reason will be requisite before any big game.

jjreason
06-05-2008, 03:54 PM
Hossa is a real issue for the Pens. I honestly thought he was the most dangerous Pittsburgh player on the ice throughout the finals. If they can get him signed for next season it's extremely likely that we'll be right back here doing this same dance in 364 days (as the Wings are almost assuredly coming back as a group - no one major to sign & only Chelios & Hasek potentially ready to hang them up).

jedi master sal
06-05-2008, 04:46 PM
Hossa is a real issue for the Pens. I honestly thought he was the most dangerous Pittsburgh player on the ice throughout the finals. If they can get him signed for next season it's extremely likely that we'll be right back here doing this same dance in 364 days (as the Wings are almost assuredly coming back as a group - no one major to sign & only Chelios & Hasek potentially ready to hang them up).

Hossa will be leaving. The Pens can not afford to sign him when they've got several others to resign or think about signing in a year or two.

I see it being another 3-4 years before the Pens get back to the cup.

Detroit really showed the Pens weaknesses and other teams would be stupid to not capitolize on those as well.

Until the Pens can attack the puck/puck holder, less dump ins, more shots on goal, they are not going to win the cup.

CaptainSolo1138
06-05-2008, 07:46 PM
I see it being another 3-4 years before the Pens get back to the cup.
I sincerely don't think it'll take that long. Hossa was a great "rental", but the team was performing as one of the top tier teams in the league long before they brought him in at the trade deadline.

Even if they don't make a return to the Cup finals for a few years, it won't be because of a lack of talent. A playoff run ending before the SCFs will more than likely be the product of running into the "hot" goalie or some other random factor.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-05-2008, 10:46 PM
If the game was just about 3 seconds longer... that puck just dribbled along the goal line. I was just laying on the floor after that. Ugh. :sad:

Still, consider that a couple years back, they had the worst record in the NHL. This year, they take an awesome squad to a sixth game. Not bad (not what I wanted, but it's still a great season overall). Give the Wings their credit; their penalty killing worked well, their team defense was in shutdown mode, stable goaltending, timely scoring. There's no reason to doubt why they won.

CaptainSolo1138
06-06-2008, 08:06 AM
If the game was just about 3 seconds longer... that puck just dribbled along the goal line. I was just laying on the floor after that. Ugh. :sad:
While the potential for (even more) dramatics was there, I think the puck would've sailed harmlessly to the corner. But it doesn't really matter.

What is actually driving me nuts about that last little push by the Pens is that Hossa's name is ignored and it was CROSBY'S chance to score the game winner. Granted, Hossa's shot would've crossed the goal line after time had expired, but it was a more quality chance than the desparate one Crosby threw on net.

CaptainSolo1138
07-02-2008, 04:01 PM
This seems like a really good place to say, "Thanks for the highest rated free agent of the 2008 offseason."

Hossa, Hossa, Hossa, Hossa! (http://youtube.com/watch?v=Tnzo0ZYWgmw)

Bel-Cam Jos
07-02-2008, 06:36 PM
This seems like a really good place to say, "Thanks for the highest rated free agent of the 2008 offseason."

Hossa, Hossa, Hossa, Hossa! (http://youtube.com/watch?v=Tnzo0ZYWgmw)If you can't beat 'em, (after shaking their hands at center ice) join 'em (a few weeks later). He mustve used the road games in Detroit to check out home prices there.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
07-03-2008, 12:27 PM
The rich get richer, the poor get poorer.

Credit Detroit. They are a smart organization and continue to do things that put them over the top. They got Hossa to sign on the cheap (okay 7 million ain't cheap), when he could have very well went to other teams for more. I guess that proves that he wants to play for a winner.

Meanwhile Free Agency for the Sabres is like window shopping at Nieman-Marcus. They get to watch the other clubs waltz in and buy the fancy toys in the display window while all they can resort to is staring at the window, longingly with puppy-dog eyes, letting their imagination run wild on what they can't have.