PDA

View Full Version : Millennium Falcon

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

DarkArtist
04-08-2008, 08:36 PM
found this over at GalacticHunter.com

The BMF Millennium Falcon Hi-Rez
4/8/2008 4:52:23 PM | Reported by Adam_May
A gorgeous Sith Witch conjured up this image (and click again for a massively oversized view) of the upcoming "BMF" Millennium Falcon from Hasbro. No, it's not a Code 3 or an impostor, this is it. Note that the cockpit looks to feature enough room for Chewbacca, Han Solo, the newly diminuitive modern era Princess Leia, and Goldenrod. There are lights, sounds, missiles, and even (hidden behind a door) a medbay. Just click on in and have a look. (Don't forget to click the image again to chew up major bandwidth and enjoy the grand tour!) Thank you to the Sith Witch for this glimpse of things to come.

if this is true, all I can say is WOW

Jargo
04-08-2008, 08:48 PM
interesting picture. need more.

Jedi_Kal-El
04-08-2008, 08:52 PM
If this shows up at Comic-Con, then I'll get a bit more excited.

Old Fossil
04-08-2008, 08:57 PM
This could be good.

Banthaholic
04-08-2008, 10:31 PM
Get ready to empty out your wallets boys, this will be one to get!

JediTricks
04-08-2008, 10:33 PM
I really like what they've done, but it appears there's still no tunnel to the cockpit, and I just don't understand why half the ship remains unused playset space. There's a ton of gimmick levers and such though.

Looks like the mandibles are separate pieces, and the left-side hatch flips up for some reason.

Hello Target, goodbye money! Hmm, I wonder when my Hasbro Play Rewards check expires.

jlw
04-08-2008, 11:11 PM
I would think that the left side that flips up is a battery compartment.

Also notice behind that compartment is some sort of lever. Wonder if there are any flip down landing gear on this one. Can't wait to see more pics of this beauty.

Jason

Tycho
04-08-2008, 11:15 PM
Maybe the back opens up, too (like the old mold)?

Is there a lower gunwell, too? Can figures sit in both gunner stations?

Let's see an interior image of the cockpit. (Maybe there are more pics on GH?) But how do people know if there is room for 4 if this is the only picture.

Hang on....I'll look at GH....Thought so. No more pictures. Darn!

Yeah, this looks really cool. I'm almost certain I'm buying.

I want to see more. If they're going to have THIS at Comic Con, I think I'll definitely be going.

I'm a toy voyeur. :rolleyes:

Kidhuman
04-08-2008, 11:27 PM
I thought the cockpit was supposed ot seat 4 of them? I need more pics to better tell on this one.

bigbarada
04-09-2008, 01:30 AM
I really want to see a photo with a figure inside to get an idea of the scale of this thing. But it's looking very, very promising. :yes:

I've been looking around on Ebay for a decent vintage Falcon, but I think I'll put that on hold until we get more info on this. This might just be the Falcon toy I dreamed of as a kid. Well, not really, because that one was 5 feet in diameter, which I doubt this one will be; but it's looking like a huge improvement over the old Kenner mold so far.

El Chuxter
04-09-2008, 01:41 AM
I would've rather have had a Cliegg Lars already. The playset that came with that carpy CD-ROM way back when is the best piece as far as scale goes. And I have no room for another Falcon.

Tycho
04-09-2008, 02:00 AM
I don't have room either. But it's THE FALCON.

I guess I'll get the sandstorm figures to populate it since I have crews for about every other way you can staff a Falcon:

ANH: Han, Chewie, Obi-Wan, Luke, C-3PO, R2D2
ESB: Han, Chewie, Leia Hoth, C-3PO
SOTE: Lando, Chewie, Luke, Leia (didn't want to put more duplicates of the droids aboard)

I didn't do Lando and Nien Numb with Endor Soldiers. It didn't appeal to me.

But with the new Falcon and the Sandstorm figures, I can have the largest group:

Han, Chewie, Lando, Luke, Leia, R2, C-3PO (7 figures this time!)

I guess I'd put the "blind" Han in the medical bay bed. It'd be cool to do that with a Bespin Luke (wounded from his duel with Vader) but everyone else will anyway.

Deoxyribonucleic
04-09-2008, 02:10 AM
Alls I can say is I knew it was coming and I'm already sold :thumbsup:

figrin bran
04-09-2008, 02:28 AM
If this is real, why did Hasbro deny its existence in last week's Q&A?

Tycho
04-09-2008, 03:04 AM

It might be an exclusive and they don't have the vendor arrangement solidified yet - OR they will let the vendor announce it.

Plus they save highlights for Comic Con so that their presentation won't be like "and this year, our cardbacks will be made from (drum roll) CARDBOARD!" Wow.

Jargo
04-09-2008, 07:16 AM
My partner just asked me where would i put something as big as this. I just said I'll put it anywhere i damn well like.

the landing ramp looks a lot more solidly put together on this. always one of my beefs with the original. I like that the firing missiles are well concealed. I like the gun turret mechanism. I'm going to guess that the little lever to the left of the left side hatch might be a rod with the training remote on the end. and looking at the seat next to the console in the hold plus the doorways it looks to be pretty hefty in size over all.

it ticks most of the boxes for me. going on one photo. I guess it remains to be seen whether or not it makes it to a retailer.

pegger
04-09-2008, 09:27 AM
I don't know. When I look at it - it looks like a die cast model type ship to me. The details don't look plastic-y to me. For example, the chair in front of the panel doens't look 3 3/4 size to me.

Until I see more pics - or a figure in one of the pics, I'm just not going to beleive that this is 3 3/4 size.

Dark Marble
04-09-2008, 09:29 AM

Hasbro hasn't really confirmed or denied anything. They stay really cryptic with their answers about the Falcon. The statement they made lin the ast Q&A was something like "we haven't done anything to encourage hope of a new Falcon being made." What does that mean?

But, I saw the picture last night before bed, and all I have to say is that if this Falcon is as big as I think it is and has all the bells and whistles I think it does, this and the AT-TE could be the last vehicles I ever buy for Star Wars. I will take one. So what is the price of this bad boy going to be? I have heard anywhere from $100 to $200. That is a lot of cheese...

mtriv73
04-09-2008, 10:23 AM
If this thing is really made for the 3-3/4" line then it must be massive. Just judging from the size of the seats and extrapolating it's probably as big as 2 of the new mold X-wings. I'm am so sold on this that hasbro can just have the money now and I'll be happy to wait. Plus, in 2 years we can look forward to the shadow Falcon :thumbsup:

Tycho
04-09-2008, 10:32 AM
Getting my hopes TOO high....

The opening panel on the ship's right that looks to be battery storage could also be the hatch for Lando to rescue Luke from Bespin.

The back could further open up to have the access beneath the floor where Han was making repairs as the ship flew into the Hoth asteroid belt.

So there could as yet be more.

I point the AT-TE: Hasbro actually wasted barely ANY space in there and the whole thing opens up for the action figures to have access to like a real vehicle.

What if the new Falcon was just as good?

The smuggling compartments would accurately be positioned beneath the floor in one of the parts we're already seeing in the picture attached.

jedi master sal
04-09-2008, 11:07 AM
I'm sold on this one. Thankfully it's a one-time one vehicle purchase.

Heh, I wonder if it doesn't have a backend playset are will we be able to rip out the back end from one of the older molds and fill that area? (Just joking here, but I bet someone else is thinking about doing this now.

I can see this being a $100-150 set.

Bosskman
04-09-2008, 11:25 AM
This looks awesome. I was afraid I'd have to get rid of my other 2 Falcons (POTF2 and OTC) and now I can't wait to get rid of them.

Lazer Brain
04-09-2008, 11:28 AM
looks way cool, there has to be more than we'er seeing here... good landing gear a MUST.

Snowtrooper
04-09-2008, 12:07 PM
If this is it, I hope it comes with a little more weathering/dirt paint apps. Right now, it lacks the grungy appearance that it has in the movies.

Droid
04-09-2008, 12:48 PM
I won't probably ever buy any vehicle again (except maybe a skiff redo), so I don't plan to buy a new Falcon.

I will say though that for me the biggest two problems with the original are the small cockpit and the cockpit being sealed from the rest of the ship (which also bugged me with the AT-AT).

I wouldn't buy it even if I was in the market for a Falcon unless the cockpit seats four and opens to the rest of the ship.

Deoxyribonucleic
04-09-2008, 01:24 PM
If you look through the crack in the side of the cockpit, you can see that there is what looks like another seat behind the front ones :thumbsup:

Tenric78
04-09-2008, 01:39 PM
Crap. I didn't plan on getting one when I heard rumors of this thing, but now I'm getting way too excited about this. Let's hope the back opens up!

Dark Marble
04-09-2008, 02:45 PM
Getting my hopes TOO high....

I know!! Me too, we have no idea what this thing is yet or where it came from, or what it will include, and Hasbro isn't talking so I am looking at the picture and being rocketed back to years old when the Falcon was everything to me and Star Wars was huge. I am waiting for the other shoe to drop now. :sad: I

Jargo
04-09-2008, 03:43 PM
I count six buttons of the light and sound activation variety. 2 by the radar dish one on the cockpit access tube and three near the landing ramp. so I'm going to assume that means the cockpit lights up. there's some engine noises and laser gun noises and if i'm right about the training remote on a pole there's a button for lightsaber sounds. and i guess the engine lights up too so that will take care of a button.

As the original post says the med bay is hidden behind the round doorway and there must be access to that via the left side hatch on the exterior. I would imagine the rear part of the ship is taken up by battery compartment and landing gear housings. it'd be pretty dumb to go to the lengths of creating a new big falcon and only have fold up landing gear. rise and fall landing gear was ok on the original toy and with improvements would work just fine on this one too. though obviously newly molded more accurate bigger landing gear. judging by the little glimpse you get of the landing gear under the near front edge in the photo it looks a lot more detailed.

All I have left to say is, if that's a fake I'm ******** impressed. if it's real I'm impressed. if it makes it to an e-tailer near me I'll buy it.

Jangu Fett
04-09-2008, 03:50 PM
Holy turkey &^%@!!!!! That's awesome. I was wondering which one to get this (before we knew the Falcon was true) or the AT-TE. After seeing these pics, there is no doubt about it. The Falcon looks 100 times better, IMO, then the AT-TE. Way to go Hasbro. Now if we can get confirmation on the rumored Slave-1 and Rogue Shadow, I'll be one extremly happy collector.:thumbsup:

OH, yeah, looks like the Cockpit seats 4: http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/7246/insidefalcon2nu0.jpg

dindae
04-09-2008, 04:08 PM
I was half hoping this wasn't coming out. I don't really need one but I know I won't be able to resist it. I will be dissapointed if the back end doesn't have another purpose then housing electronics and landing gears but no much. The detail for this large of a ship are great.

JON9000
04-09-2008, 04:46 PM
Ah hah- the crown jewel of the SW universe is here. I cannot wait to get this, although the old mold will always hold a special place in the halls of nostalgia!

I would have sworn we would not see this guy until 09.

Deoxyribonucleic
04-09-2008, 05:18 PM
Ah hah- the crown jewel of the SW universe is here. I cannot wait to get this, although the old mold will always hold a special place in the halls of nostalgia!

I would have sworn we would not see this guy until 09.

Seems like you and I are the only ones really excited for this, as you put it, crown jewel! :thumbsup:

My vintage falcon will NEVER be replaced as number 1 falcon, but this new one sure is freakin' awesome!

Jargo
04-09-2008, 05:26 PM
I'm tense with bridled excitement. I don't want to get joyous about this til we know when and where it'll arrive. and then have quadruple confirmation that this info is solid.
but i do want it to be true. I don't buy vehicles anymore but the falcon, well it's a must have.

Dark Marble
04-09-2008, 05:38 PM
For some more info you guys should also check out the blog on Galactic Hunter to get an inside scoop. Very enlightening.

Jargo
04-09-2008, 06:11 PM
I was just there actually. very interesting. so how come adam may gets the scoop? (he said diplomaticaly)

Devo
04-09-2008, 06:30 PM
A must-buy at any cost. I don't think it looks all that bigger than the old one, at least I don't think its possible to tell from that picture but if its supposed to be 2.5 feet thats almost as long as the Naboo royal starship. Whats the width I wonder.

It'll be a pity if that rear section doesn't open up aswell because they seem to have done an excellent job with the rest of the interior - very Falcon-like. Exterior-wise it looks a little more in proportion than the old one - the cockpit is still too big in relation to the main body but I can accept that thats unavoidable. Pretty cool all-in-all.

El Chuxter
04-09-2008, 06:30 PM
Lotta misnomers in this thread.

:thumbsup:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-09-2008, 07:02 PM
:eek:

Wow . . . just wow. Look at that seat (in the picture, it's to the left of the radar dish). This thing is going to absolutely freakin' insanely HUGE. I almost wish, though, that it won't be released so close to the AT-TE so both items can have their time in the sun, but I'll gladly get both. I'm not a huge fan of the forced-perspective hallway effect but everything else is just stunning.

Jargo
04-09-2008, 07:06 PM
ok so lets recap.

2.5 feet long.
5 retractable landing gear.
cockpit seats four.
cockpit illuminates
comes with han and Chewie
has soft release landing ramp
has airlock and docking hatch to fit a smaller 'aggressive' vehicle
has removable floor panels over smuggler compartments
hold has seats and light up dejarik table
hold has comms console and chair
has at least one gunner turret that works the same as the movie version ie seat and gun move in a synchronous way.
has med bay
has control lever to rotate radar dish
has Jedi training remote
has light up engine
has lights on the front fork ends
has firing missiles
will accommodate figures standing underneath the vehicle
Saga Luke bespin's tourniquet plugs into the med bay
pilot han solo released recently will be able to plug his head set cable into the comms chair.
has sound effects

DarkArtist
04-09-2008, 07:23 PM
RebelScum.com just put the link up as well. I really hope this is for real and not just some mad crazy collector who built it from scratch with some Kenner/Hasbro parts.

won't be able to attend SDCC but please whoever attends if this is true, please post some more pics. my mouth is already watering looking at the one image we have, I can only imagine what it will be like upon seeing other pics. it might actually go numb.

Devo
04-09-2008, 07:47 PM
Hope its not an elaborate late April fools joke to capitalise on the rumour.

I'm still not entirely convinced its going to be as big as it sounds. I need to see photos with figures displayed inside. I know theres that chair but supposing its so small it doesn't even fit a figure - not even an anorexic VOTC Han!!! Hasbro has a tendency to scale down everything even when it could easily be made in correct proportion so would this surprise anyone? They did put out those tiny curved cantina bar pieces seemingly without thinking that a figure and a drinks dispenser are supposed to fit between (as I knew they would but hoped I'd be proved wrong).

Despite these doubts I think it looks seriously cool, even if that back portion doesn't open. But if it does open to reveal even more delights better still.

Gothiczartan
04-09-2008, 07:49 PM
can't tell if this is a new sculpt space ship or a retooled of the POTF2 version. I hope this is a new sculpt and a little big enough to fit most of the figures just like in the movie.

DarkArtist
04-09-2008, 08:04 PM
if you go to GalacticHunter.com and click on the link about blog, the Adam May answers questions about the ship. some cool stuff mentioned in the answers like an area for a ship to dock with the Falcon, also that the ship has 5 landing gears, and a motorized landing ramp, light-up chess table and 2 exclusive figures. check it out.

DarthBrandon
04-09-2008, 09:53 PM
It's like a wet dream come true, can't wait to pick this thing up.:D

Battle Droid
04-10-2008, 09:17 AM
Back of box!

http://www.galactichunter.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=62&pos=2

Battle Droid
04-10-2008, 09:19 AM
Back of box!

http://www.galactichunter.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=62&pos=2

The little fighter looks like the ship from the old Planet of the Apes or Alien.

El Chuxter
04-10-2008, 09:26 AM
Definitely a fraud. ;)

This looks really damned cool, and I would've bought it two or three years ago. Possibly even now, but I doubt it.

Jangu Fett
04-10-2008, 09:43 AM
I don't know about anyone else, but, $150 for that beast seems reasonable. Hasbro has really gone out of their way making this. I can only hope, that if Hasbro makes the Clone Turbo Tank, it looks this cool. To bad, Hasbro didn't put this kind of effert into the AT-TE. Not saying the AT-TE isn't cool, but the Millennium Falcon, blows that away.

pegger
04-10-2008, 09:51 AM
I take back everything I said.

I need to go change my pants now.

Droid
04-10-2008, 09:53 AM
I hope the secret ship stays put and can't be notice for those of us who think that is dumb. If they want to make it a better toy, fine, but keep it hidden better than R5-D4's firing missle.

It is a pretty good toy. I hope that those people pushing for big vehicles buy it because if the Falcon doesn't sell well other less iconic vehicles like the Sail Barge have no chance.

I still can't see if the cockpit can be accessed from the rest of the ship. I suspect it can't. Seems like an opening door the size of a figure would be a nice feature if they are worried about kids kidding their hands stuck.

Gothiczartan
04-10-2008, 09:56 AM
it will sell ok to kids and collectors, I'm sure it will. I might buy it. where will they sell this piece of junk (mention by luke), what store will they carry it?

bigbarada
04-10-2008, 11:11 AM
That's it, I'm buying it... along with a new kitchen table to display it on.:thumbsup:

This is almost more of a playset than a vehicle. I can't imagine a kid, or your average collector for that matter, "flying" this ship around for long periods of time at this size. I wonder if Hasbro recommends weightlifting classes before you play with it.

Anyways, this is absolutely amazing. I'm glad that I gave all of my old Millenium Falcon toys to my nephews, because now there's no question as to which version I want.

jedi master sal
04-10-2008, 11:15 AM
it will sell ok to kids and collectors, I'm sure it will. I might buy it. where will they sell this piece of junk (mention by luke), what store will they carry it?

I'd have to believe that since this is an all new mold, they (Hasbro) would want to get this out to every store that will take it. More sales, means more profit on a new mold.

Having this as an exclusive, especially Target (for whom turns their exclusives around in a few weeks to clearances), would be a bad thing.

It really will become more an issue of distribution. I do NOT think individual stores should be deluged with these. Start out with 6 each, when the number gets down to 2, order 6 more.

This will be a pricey item, not to mention will take up a lot of shelf space, which is at a premium at brick and mortar stores. So I would not expect to see this lining the shelves. Which in turn should mean to the consumer to buy it when you see it or you may not get it.

If this comes out in time for the holiday season, I think it's going to rank HIGH on the list of most wanted Christmas toys. While I'd like to say #1, I'd be satisfied if it makes the top 5 or at the least the top 10.

-Sal

bigbarada
04-10-2008, 11:19 AM
I'd have to believe that since this is an all new mold, they (Hasbro) would want to get this out to every store that will take it. More sales, means more profit on a new mold.

Having this as an exclusive, especially Target (for whom turns their exclusives around in a few weeks to clearances), would be a bad thing.

It really will become more an issue of distribution. I do NOT think individual stores should be deluged with these. Start out with 6 each, when the number gets down to 2, order 6 more.

This will be a pricey item, not to mention will take up a lot of shelf space, which is at a premium at brick and mortar stores. So I would not expect to see this lining the shelves. Which in turn should mean to the consumer to buy it when you see it or you may not get it.

If this comes out in time for the holiday season, I think it's going to rank HIGH on the list of most wanted Christmas toys. While I'd like to say #1, I'd be satisfied if it makes the top 5 or at the least the top 10.

-Sal

So are you planning to buy fewer AT-TEs in order to get one of these Falcons? I've decided that if I'm forced to choose between the two, then the AT-TE stands no chance at all. I'm hoping that I'll be able to get both, but the Falcon trumps the AT-TE in every way.

Droid
04-10-2008, 12:00 PM
So are you planning to buy fewer AT-TEs in order to get one of these Falcons? I've decided that if I'm forced to choose between the two, then the AT-TE stands no chance at all. I'm hoping that I'll be able to get both, but the Falcon trumps the AT-TE in every way.

Good point! They probably should have brouth the AT-TE and Falcon out in different years. People who planned to buy multiple AT-TEs may not buy less to buy the Falcon. Also this year is Clone Wars cartoon. Maybe they should have waited until an original trilogy year for the Falcon.

Gothiczartan
04-10-2008, 12:06 PM
how big this this thing, how many inches would that be?

Devo
04-10-2008, 12:23 PM
Space is a real concern of mine now aswell. I have to buy this, theres simply no way and no universe in which I would not buy this thing and regardless of cost too. Something in my current collection is gonna have to give. I may be relegating my Naboo Royal starship to the attic or under my bed because that shelf is the only one that I can conceive will fit this new Falcon....problem is its a high shelf and if I put the ship up there I won't be able to see the interior - and the interior is the main selling point for me - the main hold with the dejarik table, Han's console and Lukes training area. The medical area from ESB, the loading ramp, the corridor...all so cool..and I can't wait to see a picture of the cockpit access corridor, I imagine its short but detailed like the main corridor.

It does call into question whether theres any point in me buying the AT-TE and homing spider droid. Two things go against them, first they're prequel toys and second theres the aforementioned space issue...which could only get much worse when I get the Falcon and hopefully one day the 2 large wing TIE fighters with most up-to-date cockpit bubbles I've long wanted to have. (I have missed all previous opportunities to get the large TIE)

With this Falcon, the red leader X-wing, the latest large wing TIE fighter and maybe a repaint of the Saga landspeeder we will have some truly great modernised representations of the original 4 POTF2 vehicles.

sebillba
04-10-2008, 12:37 PM
I don't usually buy vehicles, they don't really excite me, and I don't have the space. I have got the POTF2 Falcon, boxed away somewhere in my mum's garage, and I even sold my AT-AT as I had no room for it (still kicking myself over that!)...... but I really want this!!!! I have absolutely nowhwere to display it, but I have to have it!!!:love:

mtriv73
04-10-2008, 12:39 PM
Space is a concern for something this large.

As soon as we get confirmation on this thing I'm going to start purging the collection to make room. I won't need the latest release Falcon anymore, I also haven't needed the vintage shuttle since I got the new one. There's plenty of other stuff to go through to make room.

Also, $ becomes an issue for me, I will pick the falcon over the AT-TE in a heartbeat. I just don't have the love and don't feel the connection to the prequels that I have for the OT.

stillakid
04-10-2008, 12:42 PM
Space is also an issue for me, but I'll definitely get a deluxe Falcon like this and hang it from the ceiling if necessary.

JON9000
04-10-2008, 12:47 PM
Seems like you and I are the only ones really excited for this, as you put it, crown jewel! :thumbsup:

My vintage falcon will NEVER be replaced as number 1 falcon, but this new one sure is freakin' awesome!

:love:

The way I see it, this Falcon is the epitome of the reason I still like toys. If this doesn't make you giddy with the same kind of excitement you had in 80 when you opened it up on christmas morning, or when you saw one in stores in 95, I don't know what can. This puppy rocks.

A light-up Djarik table. How freaking awesome is that? I cannot believe how cool this thing is. If space were a concern, I would get rid of whatever other toys I had to in order to make room for it.

aside not directed to anyone in particular: And, no, gang, there isn't a hallway to the cockpit, and if it ruins it for you, nobody gives a good gaddomn. Don't buy it. Join Dave on his boycott.

Deoxyribonucleic
04-10-2008, 01:07 PM
Now it doesn't seem so weird why we are getting these "cut-scene" figures any longer. How they just came out of the blue...well, because there's a frakkin' BMF Falcon waiting for them to come in out of the sandstorm! :thumbsup:

Tenric78
04-10-2008, 01:08 PM
I'm excited about Star Wars again. I had been on the outs and fallen into GI Joe, but this... by god.

Tycho
04-10-2008, 01:09 PM
Geeze I want this ship!

stillakid
04-10-2008, 01:11 PM
aside not directed to anyone in particular: And, no, gang, there isn't a hallway to the cockpit, and if it ruins it for you, nobody gives a good gaddomn.

One word: Customizing:yes: (http://www.germes-online.com/direct/dbimage/50085824/Chain_Saw.jpg)

jedi master sal
04-10-2008, 01:13 PM
:love:

The way I see it, this Falcon is the epitome of the reason I still like toys. If this doesn't make you giddy with the same kind of excitement you had in 80 when you opened it up on christmas morning, or when you saw one in stores in 95, I don't know what can. This puppy rocks.

A light-up Djarik table. How freaking awesome is that? I cannot believe how cool this thing is. If space were a concern, I would get rid of whatever other toys I had to in order to make room for it.

aside not directed to anyone in particular: And, no, gang, there isn't a hallway to the cockpit, and if it ruins it for you, nobody gives a good gaddomn. Don't buy it. Join Dave on his boycott.

Dave who??? lol

Seriously, I've been so happy about this from yesterday to today. I sure as hell was giddy over this. Even more so today from the boxed packaging as not only do we get to see all of the amenities, but by seeing this at the packaging stage it means it's gone forward in production and isn't a joke. Outer package design like this can happen fairly late in the process and doesn't take all that much time to produce. So by seeing this, it gives us a great amount of hope that we'll be getting this soon.

This really does have everything I've wanted in an ultimate Falcon and MORE! I mean come on, a freakin' light up table AND swingin remote with SOUND? What?

Medical bay, the ol' standard smuggling compartments, plus room for FOUR figures in the cockpit!

Plus that nifty escape pod/fighter. And still yet more.

Really, as Jon said, if you can't get excited over this, then please step aside and get the hell out of my way. Complaining about this toy is nitpicking at this point.

Oh and PLEASE for the love of god, don't wait for this to clearance. Buy this sucker the moment you see it. Don't send the wrong message to Hasbro that big ships don't do well at retail.

Thankfully since this is not a fleet building ship and you really only need one, I hope it's easy for everyone to get it.

Man, Hasbro sure surpassed expectations for this year.

AT-TE, Bad Mother Falcon, Homing Spider droid, Yarna, even the rumored HK-47....

Damn, am I living in a dream world or what? This is far and above what I had hoped for, for this year.

A HUGE thanks to Hasbro! (Now please just don't deny it's existence anymore when we ask you this in the next Q&A-and you know we and everyone else will...)

-Sal

Tenric78
04-10-2008, 01:23 PM
Does anyone here think that the small ship hooks up to the front between the forks? That would be so cool.

I really hope this sells well. As a Joe fan I hope it opens up the door for big old school Joe vehicles.

Jargo
04-10-2008, 01:24 PM
I'm gonna make myself bankrupt if i have to to get this. damn anyone that gets in the way of me having this in my collection.

I am so moist right now. the small fighter is very similar in idea to the one designed to fit between the front forks and dock with the original mold. but was never released.

and all the panel line detailing on this baby absolutely rocks. awesome work just awesome.

DarkArtist
04-10-2008, 01:32 PM
I really hope this is not some lame late April Fools joke. this ship is amazing and seeing boxed images on GH really make me want to believe that Hasbro is waiting till SDCC to official announce when and where this beast is going on sale and how much it will be.

bigbarada
04-10-2008, 01:37 PM

I don't see why that would be a dealbreaker either. It's not like the camera in the films ever follows the characters from one Falcon set to another, it's always a cut. Plus, I can't recall a single important scene that takes place in a Millenium Falcon hallway, so why would that be a requirement?

I think it's very telling that so many people are talking about selling off big portions of their collection to make room for this thing. I've actually been considering selling off my vintage Shuttle and Endor AT-AT just to make sure I have a place (and the money) for this. If this is a first-quarter 2009 release then the money shouldn't be a problem, but if it's a Christmas release, then money might be tight.

It's funny that I've been going back and forth over whether to buy the AT-TE, but with something like this, it's not even a question of "if" it's a question of where I'm going to put it once I get it.

Deoxyribonucleic
04-10-2008, 01:55 PM
I've actually been considering selling off my vintage Shuttle and Endor AT-AT just to make sure I have a place (and the money) for this.

You better NOT! There'll always be some place to put it, even if you have to hang it from the ceiling as Stilla suggested! If I know you and your vintage, I think you'd kick yourself for selling off those two items! Just sell an organ or something, it would be much easier ;) This new falcon has so many things going on, I'm sure it could be substituted for tonsils or an appendix :yes:

Old Fossil
04-10-2008, 01:56 PM
The Economic Stimulus Package money is meant to be spent on consumer goods, to help infuse the American economy with cash.

SO BE IT!!!

:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

God, I'm loving this ship!

Tenric78
04-10-2008, 02:06 PM
The Economic Stimulus Package money is meant to be spent on consumer goods, to help infuse the American economy with cash.

SO BE IT!!!

:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

God, I'm loving this ship!

lol that's great.

JON9000
04-10-2008, 02:17 PM
Oh and PLEASE for the love of god, don't wait for this to clearance. Buy this sucker the moment you see it. Don't send the wrong message to Hasbro that big ships don't do well at retail.

I'm not worried about that. At xmas, POTF2 Falcons regularly go for a lot, which tells me the parent/kid market is strong. And really, would any collector want to chance out on missing this one? The moment I see it, it's mine.

I think this one is a sell through for certain, and a testament to the fact that the market for big vehicles has firmed up a lot since the Queen's Starship clocked in at $200. SW fans and kids have done a lot to make this feasible and have stepped up to the plate. Heck, even "dooky-feet AT-AT" sold out around the holidays!

Tenric78
04-10-2008, 02:32 PM
Don't forget, if Hasbro can make a big stupid robot horse that doesn't do much and sell them, they've got to be able to sell this.

Kidhuman
04-10-2008, 02:36 PM
Space is a concern for something this large.

As soon as we get confirmation on this thing I'm going to start purging the collection to make room. I won't need the latest release Falcon anymore, I also haven't needed the vintage shuttle since I got the new one. There's plenty of other stuff to go through to make room.

Also, $ becomes an issue for me, I will pick the falcon over the AT-TE in a heartbeat. I just don't have the love and don't feel the connection to the prequels that I have for the OT.

If you are getting rid of a shuttle, holla at me.

I don't see why that would be a dealbreaker either. It's not like the camera in the films ever follows the characters from one Falcon set to another, it's always a cut. Plus, I can't recall a single important scene that takes place in a Millenium Falcon hallway, so why would that be a requirement?

Didnt the first kiss of Han and Leia take place in that those hallway.

JetsAndHeels
04-10-2008, 02:39 PM
That's it, I'm buying it... along with a new kitchen table to display it on.:thumbsup:

LoL!!

I am definately getting this one as well. I am not a big time vehicle buyer, but like Tycho said earlier, ITS THE FALCON!!

Can't wait to get this.

El Chuxter
04-10-2008, 02:44 PM
"IT'S THE FALCON!!" doesn't give me $200 to pay for it and an extra five or ten square feet to display it.

Like I said, I think it's an awesome-looking ship. But it's way too late to tempt me.

Jargo
04-10-2008, 02:49 PM
The falcon is THE iconic vehicle from the entire saga. even casual whim style shoppers will buy this. guys in their thirties who don't buy the figures will still want this. Dads will buy it for their kids and then secretly play with it while the kids are asleep.
people who sold their collections will plop down the moolah and get this because it's so much better than the vintage mold. This is the falcon people will buy because the Attakus one rocked but was only a third of the ship and cost the same as a small car.
this is the toy that will make partners weep and bring about the most creative justification speeches ever.

The box is going to be massive. but then who would buy something like this and keep it boxed? that's just retarded.

Jargo
04-10-2008, 02:52 PM

that was in a small ante-room. just off the main hold. if ya remember it was quite a squeeze for them both.:yes:

El Chuxter
04-10-2008, 03:08 PM
That's what she said.

bigbarada
04-10-2008, 03:32 PM

Well, when Hasbro releases a lip-locked Han and Leia, then I'll complain about the lack of a hallway.:p

Plus, I think Jargo's right, it wasn't actually in the hallway.

Dark Marble
04-10-2008, 03:33 PM
The falcon is THE iconic vehicle from the entire saga. even casual whim style shoppers will buy this. guys in their thirties who don't buy the figures will still want this. Dads will buy it for their kids and then secretly play with it while the kids are asleep.
people who sold their collections will plop down the moolah and get this because it's so much better than the vintage mold. This is the falcon people will buy because the Attakus one rocked but was only a third of the ship and cost the same as a small car.
this is the toy that will make partners weep and bring about the most creative justification speeches ever.

The box is going to be massive. but then who would buy something like this and keep it boxed? that's just retarded.

Agreed. If you are able to find this on the shelf when it is realeased, buy it. Especially if it comes out at Christmas time. I have a feeling that it will be an exclusive and it will have a short run. And as it was eloquently stated by Jargo everyone who has loved Star Wars will be considering this one if not buying it. Oh and yes I will be opening mine!

Jedi_Kal-El
04-10-2008, 03:35 PM
OK! Now after seeing the box pics, I'm really excited for this ship! Good thing I got a second job recently. I'm gonna need it to get this and the extra table I'm gonna need to display it. I can't wait to get this one.:thumbsup:

pegger
04-10-2008, 05:41 PM
Front of the box! (http://www.galactichunter.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=62&pos=3)

and a July release date. Carp, July is gonna be pricey!

El Chuxter
04-10-2008, 06:15 PM
You had an extra "http://" in your link.

Try this (http://www.galactichunter.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=62&pos=3).

JEDIpartner
04-10-2008, 06:22 PM
Wow... it looks like I'm skipping the AT-TE. I'd rather have this now. I didn't think that I would want to get this when I first heard about it but I have completely changed my mind after seeing the boxed pics and seeing all the junk they crammed into this.

pegger
04-10-2008, 06:22 PM
Thanks! I fixed the link too:thumbsup:

Jedi_Kal-El
04-10-2008, 06:47 PM
That's a decent chunk of my tax rebate check already spent.

Old Fossil
04-10-2008, 07:13 PM
SO glad they're finally doing a pack-in Han & Chewie with this Falcon!

Does that Chewbacca sport a new head sculpt? He has that "serious" look from ANH.

Jedi_Kal-El
04-10-2008, 07:16 PM
SO glad they're finally doing a pack-in Han & Chewie with this Falcon!

Does that Chewbacca sport a new head sculpt? He has that "serious" look from ANH.

I'm glad they're packing decent versions of both figures instead of going the cheap route.

stillakid
04-10-2008, 07:41 PM
This is exactly the kind of thing I've been advocating forever when it comes to making ships/playsets. It should LOOK like the thing from the movie in order to get people excited.

So I'm just curious how many of the "I want a bunch of modular pieces instead of a real ship" people are going to get this anyway?

JetsAndHeels
04-10-2008, 07:45 PM
Wow, this set looks amazing. I was excited about it before, but now after seeing the pics and the box and the figures...well, needless to say my wallet is going to be significantly lighter when this is released.

DarthBrandon
04-10-2008, 07:56 PM
This is totally awesome, & I can say once I get this I'm retiring from the S.W. collecting community. Been waiting a long time for this Mabs.:D

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-10-2008, 08:01 PM
God, this just keeps getting better. This has pretty much anything and everything you could ever, EVER ask for out of a Falcon, or hell, any Star Wars item.

stillakid
04-10-2008, 08:30 PM
God, this just keeps getting better. This has pretty much anything and everything you could ever, EVER ask for out of a Falcon, or hell, any Star Wars item.

I don't know. I had high hopes for that Slave Leia statue. :sur: :smoker:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-10-2008, 09:15 PM
I don't know. I had high hopes for that Slave Leia statue. :sur: :smoker:
Maybe that'll be the hat trick after the AT-TE and Falcon to put 2008 over the top.

Devo
04-10-2008, 10:16 PM
Anyone know what online stores will most likely have this? I want to get a preorder in if possible. I missed the large wing TIEs but I'm damned, damned I say, if I'm missing out on this.

Devo
04-10-2008, 10:29 PM
This is exactly the kind of thing I've been advocating forever when it comes to making ships/playsets. It should LOOK like the thing from the movie in order to get people excited.

So I'm just curious how many of the "I want a bunch of modular pieces instead of a real ship" people are going to get this anyway?

I'd still buy a seperate Falcon cockpit - its great that this fits 4 figures but its still slightly undersized - not that you'd want it any bigger on the ship proper - but a seperate cockpit diorama could be made fully to scale in relation to the figures - that means full standing room, space between the seats and a proper sized rear access hatch. This won't happen now, just saying I'd still buy it.

And I just can't see a Star destroyer or Executor toy ever being attempted - scale would be too much of an issue. An independant playset/diorama of the Executor bridge is the only way that could happen - unless people would be willing to accept a massively undersized ship in which the bridge (I believe the only part of a Star Destroyer interior ever shown) was built into the primary structure of the toy rather than where the bridge is meant to be in the film props.

stillakid
04-10-2008, 10:55 PM
I'd still buy a seperate Falcon cockpit - its great that this fits 4 figures but its still slightly undersized - not that you'd want it any bigger on the ship proper - but a seperate cockpit diorama could be made fully to scale in relation to the figures - that means full standing room, space between the seats and a proper sized rear access hatch. This won't happen now, just saying I'd still buy it.
How come? :sur: What is the appeal of just a small part of a ship? :confused:

And I just can't see a Star destroyer or Executor toy ever being attempted - scale would be too much of an issue. An independant playset/diorama of the Executor bridge is the only way that could happen - unless people would be willing to accept a massively undersized ship in which the bridge (I believe the only part of a Star Destroyer interior ever shown) was built into the primary structure of the toy rather than where the bridge is meant to be in the film props.
Of course it would be undersized. What vehicle and/or beast isn't? But accepting that, I wrote a treatise (linked below) which describes how to make a reasonable toy version of the Star Destroyer that looks like the real ship on the outside and integrates all of the necessary interior features, like the bridge and Vader's Meditation Chamber.

Don't think it's possible? Just look at the posts in this thread to see how successful doing it this way is. People will NEVER get this giddy over a chopshop version of any ship or playset. I'll never understand the point of half a ship when so many people clearly want and will pay for the whole thing.

Devo
04-10-2008, 11:10 PM
How come? :sur: What is the appeal of just a small part of a ship? :confused: .

Just greed. I'd like it both ways.

People will NEVER get this giddy over a chopshop version of any ship or playset. I'll never understand the point of half a ship when so many people clearly want and will pay for the whole thing.

Well considering Hasbro are never going to do it I don't think anyone needs to worry about the success or lack thereof of the half-a-ship concept. I think i read your star destroyer concept before but I'll look again to remind myself.

Alright I reread your posts, I agree that that would be the best way to get us certain environments by encasing them in complete vehicles..I just wonder will Hasbro do that. If enough people buy the Falcon and AT-TE at their respective launch prices will Hasbro be encouraged to consider the Star Destroyer or the Sailbarge. Will they consider the cross-compatibility between a necessarily hugely undersized star destroyer and micro-machine ships that have not been available at retail in years? Would it matter to them that the interior would be an attempt to scale with 3 3/4" figures whilst the exterior, clearly too small in relation to other vehicles in the 3 3/4 line, would be more suitable for use with micro-machines that many people won't have...or might this put them off making it in the first place?

Kidhuman
04-10-2008, 11:11 PM
With a July date, its going to be rough. Looks like HAsbro wants big vehicles to fail. I just hope and pray this or the AT-TE is not an exclusive.

bigbarada
04-10-2008, 11:29 PM
With a July date, its going to be rough. Looks like HAsbro wants big vehicles to fail. I just hope and pray this or the AT-TE is not an exclusive.

I really don't think that's the case, because if they really wanted it to fail, then why put all this work into two amazing ALL-NEW vehicles? Just creating these prototypes and package designs is costing Hasbro a lot of money. I think if they were trying to kill off big vehicles, then we'd get a rerelease of the vintage Queen's Starship, a rereleased AT-AT and a rereleased Shuttle all at once. This way they wouldn't be out of pocket for all-new molds like they are now.

Blue2th
04-10-2008, 11:55 PM
I certainly hope it does well. I will be buying at least one. Spent enough on high-end 12" stuff, it's time for some nice higher level 3 3/4.
I don't see why when people plop down so much cash for Lego sets, they wouldn't buy this. Especially if it has lots of play factor, and semi-realism.

Gothiczartan
04-11-2008, 12:09 AM

I'm just thinking this would look like the size of the falcon.

JediTricks
04-11-2008, 01:49 AM
the small fighter is very similar in idea to the one designed to fit between the front forks and dock with the original mold. but was never released. I had the same thought and looked it up, it's really not at all similar: http://theswca.com/images-conce/falcon-minirig.html

Should I point out that even though they have room now, there doesn't seem to be a quad laser on the bottom? And of all things to leave out, the drop down repeater laser from the ESB Hoth escape? :p

I'm just thinking this would look like the size of the falcon.Actually, you have it being 20% bigger, but since the original is around 21" long and this new one is at least 30" long, it'd be 30% bigger, it'd look like this (see attached). Granted though that this is not entirely accurate since the shape of the new version will be more accurate, but it's enough to get the idea across.

El Chuxter
04-11-2008, 02:22 AM
Wouldn't it be funny if Han's Smuggler Pack were a pack-in?

JediTricks
04-11-2008, 02:25 AM
Wouldn't it be funny if Han's Smuggler Pack were a pack-in?If this had been an exclusive new Han instead of TAC Han, I'm sure we'd see that at crummier TRUs and Kmarts. :p

Jargo
04-11-2008, 07:25 AM
I had the same thought and looked it up, it's really not at all similar: http://theswca.com/images-conce/falcon-minirig.html
Not similar in design. I said in idea. :yes:

mabudonicus
04-11-2008, 09:36 AM
This is totally awesome, & I can say once I get this I'm retiring from the S.W. collecting community. Been waiting a long time for this Mabs.
HAH sorry I missed your call (and then couldn't find yer number) but I had a funny feeling you would have been going NUTS about this very thread Bro.

Looks like a real cool toy, excellent in so many ways, hell the original GI joe line didn't have anything quite this cool, the combination of ation features, electronics and iconic-ness makes this truly an awesome thing
:beard: Iso&Baws
I wish the DarthBrandon reaction vid was on youtube

DarthBrandon
04-11-2008, 01:36 PM
HAH sorry I missed your call (and then couldn't find yer number) but I had a funny feeling you would have been going NUTS
I wish the DarthBrandon reaction vid was on youtube

Lol, if you could, you'd see me dancing the jig & me humming OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPPY DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY:D

JediTricks
04-11-2008, 04:33 PM
Not similar in design. I said in idea. :yes:Yes, and I'm saying it's not that similar an idea. They're both mini fighters that dock to the Falcon, but they're also very different in how they dock to the Falcon, how they're marketed, how they look, etc..

bigbarada
04-11-2008, 04:37 PM
So they're exactly the same, yet completely different.:)

Tycho
04-11-2008, 04:46 PM
A NOTE TO CHOOSERS BETWEEN THE AT-TE and FALCON:

The AT-TE will come out in July, and while very large, it will still be much smaller than the Falcon I think.

The Falcon, which has not even been officially announced by Hasbro, will probably be released either in November (as a X-mas item) or not until 2009.

Hopefully, you can and should buy both.

Why? It supports large vehicles, discouraging things like the Sith Infiltrator being made for the $20 fighter vehicle line, and opening the possibilities for the Sailbarge and Turbotank, maybe even the Tantive IV.

stillakid
04-11-2008, 05:02 PM

The AT-TE will come out in July, and while very large, it will still be much smaller than the Falcon I think.

The Falcon, which has not even been officially announced by Hasbro, will probably be released either in November (as a X-mas item) or not until 2009.

Why? It supports large vehicles, discouraging things like the Sith Infiltrator being made for the $20 fighter vehicle line, and opening the possibilities for the Sailbarge and Turbotank, maybe even the Tantive IV.

This could go a couple of ways. They could both sell well. They could both sell poorly. Or one could sell well while the other sells poorly.

My bet is on the AT-TE not doing great. It'll sell, but in comparison to what the Falcon will do in terms of business and demand, the Prequel vehicle will get hammered. Why? The Falcon is iconic and from the vastly superior and more liked Original Trilogy. In contrast, the AT-TE elicits a resounding "What is that?" from anyone beyond the most ardent repeat viewers of the Prequels. It's likely that the only reason a parent would know that the AT-TE is from a Star Wars movie is that it will have the logo on it. Despite that, it is highly doubtful that anyone except die-hard collectors will drop the cash on an expensive and forgettable Prequel vehicle. However, the Falcon will likely garner at least a second-look by even the casual toy shopper as they recall their childhood.

So if the AT-TE doesn't sell well, it shouldn't be taken to mean that large vehicles won't sell at all. It should be seen for what it is: large expensive PREQUEL toys will never sell as well as iconic OT toys. So hopefully, Hasbro will understand that and then give us similarly designed Star Destroyers and Death Stars, two more very iconic and neglected vehicles/playsets from the OT. While something like the Sailbarge and the Tantive are cool as well, even they likely wouldn't sell as well as the big three mentioned above. The quicker Hasbro understands that, the better off they and us will all be. :)

Tenric78
04-11-2008, 05:11 PM
I could see the AT TE as a tougher sale, but its going to be featured in the new clone wars series and what kid doesn't want a big walking tank!?

But yeah, the Falcon is something that might attract a wider audience than hardcore fans and kids.

Jedi_Kal-El
04-11-2008, 05:19 PM

I'm getting both, Tycho. While both are suppose to be out at the same time, I think they'll both do well. On one hand you have the collectors(and even those who don't collect as much these day)who have wanted this Falcon for the longest time.

On the other hand, you have the AT-TE which is another fan favorite. Take all the people who have wanted this since Ep 2, and all the newbies that will want it after the CW cartoon comes out and I think Hasbro has a pretty good thing goin on.

I think they're banking on either one or the other of these doing well, or they're pushing both out at the same time so people can't afford both(just a hypothisis people)to kill the large vehicle argument.

I don't see it that way really though, and I guess we'll just have to see what happens.

El Chuxter
04-11-2008, 05:22 PM
To expand on what Tycho said, please, if you want, buy multiples of these both. Build an army of the AT-TE's, and buy six Falcons to replicate the Naboo landing platform.

I don't want either of them, but I'd make space for a Sail Barge. Please make up for my passing on both of these vehicles so that I can get my Sail Barge.

lol

bigbarada
04-11-2008, 05:28 PM
This could go a couple of ways. They could both sell well. They could both sell poorly. Or one could sell well while the other sells poorly.

My bet is on the AT-TE not doing great. It'll sell, but in comparison to what the Falcon will do in terms of business and demand, the Prequel vehicle will get hammered. Why? The Falcon is iconic and from the vastly superior and more liked Original Trilogy. In contrast, the AT-TE elicits a resounding "What is that?" from anyone beyond the most ardent repeat viewers of the Prequels. It's likely that the only reason a parent would know that the AT-TE is from a Star Wars movie is that it will have the logo on it. Despite that, it is highly doubtful that anyone except die-hard collectors will drop the cash on an expensive and forgettable Prequel vehicle. However, the Falcon will likely garner at least a second-look by even the casual toy shopper as they recall their childhood.

So if the AT-TE doesn't sell well, it shouldn't be taken to mean that large vehicles won't sell at all. It should be seen for what it is: large expensive PREQUEL toys will never sell as well as iconic OT toys. So hopefully, Hasbro will understand that and then give us similarly designed Star Destroyers and Death Stars, two more very iconic and neglected vehicles/playsets from the OT. While something like the Sailbarge and the Tantive are cool as well, even they likely wouldn't sell as well as the big three mentioned above. The quicker Hasbro understands that, the better off they and us will all be. :)

You're right, while pretty cool looking, the AT-TE isn't nearly as iconic as the Falcon, or an AT-AT for that matter.

Unless something really special is done with the vehicle for the Clone Wars cartoon, then the AT-TE is nothing more than background filler. I think it's the fact that the prequels tend to assault the audience with so many new designs all at once, so nothing really stands out unless a main character interacts with it somehow.

Hopefully, Hasbro understands that a failure of a large PT vehicle doesn't necessarily predict the failure of a large OT vehicle. They're two completely different animals.

bigbarada
04-11-2008, 05:34 PM
I think they're banking on either one or the other of these doing well, or they're pushing both out at the same time so people can't afford both(just a hypothisis people)to kill the large vehicle argument.

Again, that doesn't make any sense when you think about how much money Hasbro has to have spent just to develop the Millenium Falcon this far.

If you want something to fail, then you will want your expenses to be as low as possible. Building a new toy at this size and this level of detail are NOT the actions of a company that wants to lose money at retail.

Jargo
04-11-2008, 06:00 PM
Yes, and I'm saying it's not that similar an idea. They're both mini fighters that dock to the Falcon, but they're also very different in how they dock to the Falcon, how they're marketed, how they look, etc..
whatever trevor. :bandit:

JediTricks
04-11-2008, 06:10 PM
Rumor has it that both are coming out in July, but the AT-TE is a mass-release item and will be at retailers throughout the year, the belief is that the Falcon *may* be a Target exclusive and those are not as easy to count on.

pegger
04-11-2008, 06:13 PM

Ah - but the current rumour is that both are coming out in July. If they do, I will get the Falcon first - and get an AT-TE when I can. I just can't justify $250 US in toys, before figures. July will have the 1st wave of figs, AT-TE, Falcon, Spider Droid, V-19 - I figure in Canada there will be close to $700 in new product coming out in one month. Stuff is going to have to wait. I just don't have that kind of coin to spend on toys for myself in one month.

JEDIpartner
04-11-2008, 06:23 PM

Being the realist and adult that I am, I can really only afford to commit X amount of dollars to such meaningless stuff. It's one or the other. Sorry, I just don't have that kind of income.

Jargo
04-11-2008, 06:56 PM
I won't be buying the AT-TE because I don't like it. doesn't mean I don't support large vehicles. just depends what's on offer. in TRU the other day I looked at all the vehicles on the shelves and the only one I liked was the big wing TIE. which at some point I'll purchase. none of the prequel vehicles produced interest me so no matter the size or cost I won't buy them. I'll buy the falcon at whatever it costs. I'd buy a sail barge and I'd buy an Imperial landing craft.
if you look at the royal starship it didn't fare well because it was a big hunk of nothing. the exterior was bland and it wasn't an aggressive ship. the design was flakey when it came to the interior and there was nothing you could do with it exept leave it standing there. no wonder it flopped. not to mention TPM is a terminally dull movie. kids wanted maul and his ship and instead got a princess and her silver hair salon.

I don't think anyone need worry about sales of either the Falcon or the AT-TE. both are neat vehicles. both hold a bunch of figures and have plenty of play scope. I don't expect a massive flood of large vehicles to follow but i think these will do well enough to warrant looking at other larger ships in a decent scale.

I realised a while back that to try and collect everything was just pure insanity. there's just no way I could manage it. plus i also realised that while it's ok, the PT is a completely different beast to the OT and i prefer the OT. the OT is what i fell in love with and so i concentrate my collecting in that area. for one thing it's cheaper and saves space and for another i know that i'll not drive myself nuts trying to get everything i want. I can just ignore everything PT. leave it to kids and PT and EU people. spend my money on the stuff i really love.

JON9000
04-11-2008, 07:35 PM
the belief is that the Falcon *may* be a Target exclusive and those are not as easy to count on.

I just cannot see the logic behind that. I see how you might make repaints, extra figures included, holiday traffic builder type items exclusive, but the queen mother of all ships? Is there a Target in every town I hope?

Of course, I never understood some of the other things H has done that I consider dumb, like making the skiff exclusive (still bummed).

it wasn't an aggressive ship.

I think that's the main thing, right there. Also, the ship was indentified with the queen. Back in my day, you had to have the Falcon because that was Han Solo's ride. You cannot have the coolest dude in the galaxy and not have his ship!

I never had the X-wing when I was a kid because that was Luke's ship, and Han was my favorite (I was the older brother).

Now, the Queen's ship? Who needs that!?

Tycho
04-11-2008, 07:42 PM
Well, I barely have plans to buy many figures, and I don't really get into other toy lines.

I'll just put 2 AT-TEs and 1 Falcon on my creditcard at the first chance I'm able to. - The other ships, 2 V-19's and 4 Homing Spider Droids as well, if it all shows up at the same time.

That'll be no worse than about $500 on my charge (after tax) if I even get a chance to buy it all at once. But will that fit in a Target shopping cart?

In any case, I won't really be buying much toys AFTER these purchases either, so there will be nothing interfering with me paying it off my card either.

Deoxyribonucleic
04-12-2008, 03:28 AM
I won't be buying the AT-TE because I don't like it.

BINGO! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Jargo
04-12-2008, 06:44 AM
lol should i just shorten my posts to bullet points then?

incidentally regarding sales of the falcon and who will buy it, i showed the picture to my very dear friend and he's a trekkie, but even he wants one. He said of the other vehicles hasbro makes that they all look like bits of tat but this is a whole different ballgame. though he did then go on to moan about no-one making Trek ships like this for about three hours solid. lol

Tycho
04-12-2008, 07:51 AM
though he did then go on to moan about no-one making Trek ships like this for about three hours solid. lol

I'm a Star Trek fan like your friend is Jargo. And I too wish there was a huge figure line with "battle" vehicles that held the figures and interacted with them (like Star Wars).

The Dominion War (in Deep Space Nine) and stuff shown in Insurrection and Nemesis, could lend itself to such a toy line. If not, then new movies can in Star Trek's future.

Trek's ships can be massive, but you scale things down so that the whole saucer sections of ships, or nose-structures, whatever, open to reveal the bridge - or even carry at least just one figure (like a single-figure-cockpit to a Klingon bird of prey with swing-wings).

Then you make sure that while you maintain Trek's high standard of thought-provoking dramatic story plots, you have rational reasons for major air and ground wars with lots of fighters and troops thrown into the mix. And then you have "the sophistocated fans' Star Wars."

In essence the Star Wars prequels tried this with their political maneuverings and Palpatine escalating the war by secretly commanding both sides, while vamping up internal security until he controlled a totalitarian state. That is a cool development which I really appreciate in the PT. However, Lucas, constantly feeling this needed to be accessable to 5 year olds who'd buy into his merchandising blitz right down to plush toys, had to make Nute, Rune, and JarJar, amongst others, into idiots, and play up Jake Lloyd's cuteness factor. Then he put all into the same movies. It was the something for everyone, all-ages, approach.

It doesn't seem to have worked, because I don't think a lot of older fans get that. They want movies for 30 year olds and don't seem to feel HOW and IF Star Wars should also be for 5 year olds.

I can like the PT as much as I do because I can relax about this issue and tell you that TPM is the coolest movie for 5 year olds that I have ever seen - and that I can imagine being 5 again when I watch it. And that is fun for me.

Back to Star Trek: Gene Roddenberry's show was never aimed at kids, but rather at the 20-something crowd (and older). Many do love the optimistic vision of the future, but war-mongers (like myself) continue to be fans of Trek and rave when things like The Dominion War happen. Star Wars has always been a successful merchandising license for Lucas. Paramount can get the same kind of mileage out of Trek fans and tap into that with the right kinds of movies and toy lines to support them.

Figures that fit inside of warships with firing missiles and that sort of thing is the way for Trek to go:

Nemesis:

underscale Scimitar ship with bridge, deploying weapons on the wings, secret entrace from space (for Data), docking bay for single Scorpion Fighter.

Scorpion Fighter toy with firing missile.

Argos landing craft with Argos dune buggy and missile firing cannon.

Enemy dune buggies with firing cannons and alien figures.

Reman and Romulan army builder figures.

This is just an example. Insurrection had a lot of stuff in it, and The Dominion War could generate a whole page with me listing it.

These later 2 Star Trek movies did not do well at the box office for varying (and arguable reasons). I liked the films myself, so someone else will have to explain their poor performance. The Dominion War (on television as Deep Space Nine, seasons 3-7) is now over 10 years old. A toy line supporting it is sort of late, however DST is putting out 7" figures which I buy (though they are probably too large to make an interactive vehicle / playset toyline for).

Playmates is slated to get the new Trek movie license. They may be doing something with regards to what I've been discussing above (interactive vehicles, playsets, etc.) I am anxiously awaiting a first chance to see.

Sinscia Fat'o
04-12-2008, 03:37 PM
I'm not a big star trek fan, though i really got into the next generation, and toys based on that in the 3 3/4 inch scale would rock, and ships with play set like enviroments, like the new Falcon :thumbsup:!!!!

A borg cube like this would be nutz!

Jargo
04-12-2008, 07:24 PM
god what have I started?!!!! It's a monster!!!!

pegger
04-12-2008, 08:17 PM
god what have I started?!!!! It's a monster!!!!

That's what she said.

Jargo
04-12-2008, 08:29 PM
I make an excellent straight-man. ironically.

I reckon this here Millenium Falcon has about four releases in it. one for each movie in the OT and one in the AOTC/ROTS blue markings. can't see this being a one shot.

1. released with han and Chewie with a light paint application.
2. released with Bespin Han and Hoth Leia with a darker paint application.
3. released with Lando and Nien Numb with a really dirty paint application
4. released with some EU pilot and co-pilot. nice clean paint apps.

jjreason
04-12-2008, 08:35 PM
AaaaOOOOOOOOOOOga!

Sorry, that's the best comedy sound effect I could come up with. :(

I'll likely be passing on the new Falcon. I just expected it to be more open, or something.... maybe when I see it "in real life" I'll change my tune.

jedi master sal
04-13-2008, 09:59 AM
Wow, I think many of you folks lose sight of the bigger picture here.

While many are poo-pooing the AT-TE now, just last month or so many were praising it. (And if you were not, it really doesn't matter for the point of this post).

Fact is KIDS are going to want the AT-TE (as well as some collectors-such as myself who STILL plans on getting 3 or these). There are OT fans for the Falcon, PT fans for the AT-TE, and fans of the whole saga who will get them both.

I'm happy to say I enjoy al 6 movies and have desired the AT-TE since first seeing it in 2002. While I greatly look forward to the new Falcon, if it were never made (and we never saw these new pics), while we would have been disappointed not to have the ultimate Falcon, we'd still have one from the previous releases.

Trues enough the old one now pales in comparison.

Again, if you don't like either or both, don't get them. Just don't p**s and moan about either of them as if they are bad TOYS. And don't be upset if Hasbro never makes another big ship again. If sales aren't great, who will you put the blame on? Hasbro has done a knock out job on these two toys. It would be on the consumer for not buying them and to that, you'd only have yourselves to blame for not buying them.

I understand not buying something if you don't like it, or don't have the room, or funds, just please, don't rain on our parade for those of us who DO like these toys.

I support both the AT-TE and Falcon. I can't say equally since I'm buying more AT-TEs, but that makes sense from my perspective as the AT-TE is a troop ship and we saw several of these in action. The Falcon was an OT ship. Those glimpse on the Naboo platform were a blink and you miss them, so to the one flying up to the senate building. I'm not poo-pooing either, just stating simple facts.

I think they will both do well. The AT-TE better with kids and complete saga fans, and the Falcon with more collectors and pure OT fans.

Devo
04-13-2008, 10:08 AM
I realised a while back that to try and collect everything was just pure insanity. there's just no way I could manage it. plus i also realised that while it's ok, the PT is a completely different beast to the OT and i prefer the OT. the OT is what i fell in love with and so i concentrate my collecting in that area. for one thing it's cheaper and saves space and for another i know that i'll not drive myself nuts trying to get everything i want. I can just ignore everything PT. leave it to kids and PT and EU people. spend my money on the stuff i really love.

I try to have this approach. Trouble is I have changing moods - OT stuff is a must for me regardless because like you said its what we all fell in love with - but then sometimes, even despite my hate for the prequels, I'm really in a clone wars mood - and this entails buying all the clone wars related figures and vehicles which is a big chunk of expenditure. The OT purist in me takes over the rest of the time and says "NO! Don't buy any more of that, avoid the AT-TE etc, forget about Geonosis completism and concentrate on the backlog of OT stuff you want and the trickle of new OT stuff - all easier to manage and keep track of, not to mention being less of a financial commitment". Its tough. I'd love to have the strength to drop the PT altogether and while I have shed some completism theres still some that remains. Dangnammit.

pegger
04-13-2008, 10:39 AM
Wow, I think many of you folks lose sight of the bigger picture here.

While many are poo-pooing the AT-TE now, just last month or so many were praising it. (And if you were not, it really doesn't matter for the point of this post).

Fact is KIDS are going to want the AT-TE (as well as some collectors-such as myself who STILL plans on getting 3 or these). There are OT fans for the Falcon, PT fans for the AT-TE, and fans of the whole saga who will get them both.

I'm happy to say I enjoy al 6 movies and have desired the AT-TE since first seeing it in 2002. While I greatly look forward to the new Falcon, if it were never made (and we never saw these new pics), while we would have been disappointed not to have the ultimate Falcon, we'd still have one from the previous releases.

Trues enough the old one now pales in comparison.

Again, if you don't like either or both, don't get them. Just don't p**s and moan about either of them as if they are bad TOYS. And don't be upset if Hasbro never makes another big ship again. If sales aren't great, who will you put the blame on? Hasbro has done a knock out job on these two toys. It would be on the consumer for not buying them and to that, you'd only have yourselves to blame for not buying them.

I understand not buying something if you don't like it, or don't have the room, or funds, just please, don't rain on our parade for those of us who DO like these toys.

I support both the AT-TE and Falcon. I can't say equally since I'm buying more AT-TEs, but that makes sense from my perspective as the AT-TE is a troop ship and we saw several of these in action. The Falcon was an OT ship. Those glimpse on the Naboo platform were a blink and you miss them, so to the one flying up to the senate building. I'm not poo-pooing either, just stating simple facts.

I think they will both do well. The AT-TE better with kids and complete saga fans, and the Falcon with more collectors and pure OT fans.

Well - I'm not poo-pooing them. I just wished they were spaced out. In Canada the AT-TE is going to be $150 - plus takes - so closer to $170 each. Given the mark up - that would put a $150 US Falcon at $225 CAD post tax. That's $400 for 2 vehicles. In July the Spider droid is coming ($40 CAD post tax,) the V-19 (another $40) wave 1 of Legacy ( so 8 figs x $12 minimum = $96).... so I'm looking at dropping $600 minimum - if I buy it all at once.

I like being married - and seeing my kids on a daily basis - so I'm going to opt on picking up 1 ship in July - and another in August. So to me the debate is going to come down to which will sell faster.

I'm not poo-pooing the idea at all. I'm so excited the AT-TE is coming out. It is (IMO) what the AT-AT is for OT (iconic-ly speaking). However, teh re-done Falcon is amazing - and I just think it will sell faster (mostly because they will bring in less of them).

Now - it turns out that the Falcon is a US exclusive - I will be majorly smurfed - and have to figure out another way to get. At that point - it may be road trip time...

DarthBrandon
04-13-2008, 10:55 AM
Well I'm down for 1 Falcon & 2 AT-TE's pegger, been saving for these since they were announced. If I can save enough I'll buy two Falcon's as well. They are that great IMHO. Once I go on my cruise (Miami/Grand Caymans) at the end of April/1st week of May I'll have plenty to drop later on, as most of the cash cow has been going towards the cruise. I haven't been buying figures lately like I used to, bought 4 yesterday; but only because they were a 2 for 1 deal at TRU. I gave these to Brandon cause he wanted them & I already had them. This year I'm buying mostly vehicles & a slim few figures (5 to 10 max), 2 comic packs & possibly another evolutions set or two. This should put me near the $1500.00 range I'm setting for myself & next year it's even lower. I do however hope the Falcon comes out first & the AT-TE comes out around Oct - Dec Range, it would help us out a lot with other things we want.

pegger
04-13-2008, 12:05 PM
Well I'm down for 1 Falcon & 2 AT-TE's pegger, been saving for these since they were announced. If I can save enough I'll buy two Falcon's as well. They are that great IMHO. Once I go on my cruise (Miami/Grand Caymans) at the end of April/1st week of May I'll have plenty to drop later on, as most of the cash cow has been going towards the cruise. I haven't been buying figures lately like I used to, bought 4 yesterday; but only because they were a 2 for 1 deal at TRU. I gave these to Brandon cause he wanted them & I already had them. This year I'm buying mostly vehicles & a slim few figures (5 to 10 max), 2 comic packs & possibly another evolutions set or two. This should put me near the $1500.00 range I'm setting for myself & next year it's even lower. I do however hope the Falcon comes out first & the AT-TE comes out around Oct - Dec Range, it would help us out a lot with other things we want.

It's just the idea of plopping $400 for 2 vehicles at once. Maybe I'm getting old.

Jargo
04-13-2008, 12:07 PM
why the hell would I feel guilty about not buying a product? I don't like something i don't buy it. i don't feel compelled to buy something just because it's been produced. i'm not beholden to hasbro. I don't have to buy anything.or accept blame because something didn't do well at retail and i didn't buy it. that's down to hasbro's marketing team and their sales reps. it's also down to the retailers who mark up significantly and have crappy policies on how they stock products and market them. it's got naff all to do with the consumer. if the ship was taken up at general retail rather than as an exclusive it would reach a broader consumer base. blame the cowardly retailers who don't know anything about what it is they actually sell. how can you have a toy department run by people who aren't interested in the product and can't be bothered to find out anything other than the SKU and number of items in stock at that particular store? if toys fail it's because of serious buyer misjudgements and over or underestimating appeal to consumers. it's lazy salesmanship and pure bad timing.

the consumer is entirely blameless in every way.

DarthBrandon
04-13-2008, 12:59 PM
It's just the idea of plopping $400 for 2 vehicles at once. Maybe I'm getting old.

Yes were both getting old & I believe a little tired as well my friend.lol

JON9000
04-13-2008, 01:47 PM
Now - it turns out that the Falcon is a US exclusive - I will be majorly smurfed - and have to figure out another way to get. At that point - it may be road trip time...

Somebody here could likely hook you up if you don't mind parting with postage. With gas where it will be in July, that may be the better bet, depending on your mileage!

stillakid
04-13-2008, 02:13 PM

And maybe because gas is $3.75 a gallon.:whip:

Jedi_Kal-El
04-13-2008, 02:23 PM

It's for that reason that I'm glad I have a few stores(including a Target)very close to my house. I don't have to use up so much gas.

I do feel bad for some of you who don't have a particular store close to you(trust me I've been there). Especially with the gas prices as bad as they are.

JediTricks
04-13-2008, 03:35 PM
I just cannot see the logic behind that. I see how you might make repaints, extra figures included, holiday traffic builder type items exclusive, but the queen mother of all ships? Is there a Target in every town I hope?Target's pretty present across the nation and has a web presence (though SW hasn't done well on it). If Target is willing to support an item the other retailers aren't, more power to them - if a retailer doesn't take an exclusive, it doesn't get made. I'm guessing Hasbro's getting a little incentive for doing these large exclusives with them, hence the tight-lipped behavior on them, and Target's building brand support from the customer base.

Of course, I never understood some of the other things H has done that I consider dumb, like making the skiff exclusive (still bummed).Most of the time, they don't want to make something exclusive, it's just that there isn't enough interest at mass retail (the stores, not the customers).

Ji'dai
04-13-2008, 04:01 PM
This thing looks pretty good. My last SW vehicle purchases were some AOTC movie-year ships on deep clearance in early 2003. I'm already planning on some big summer toy expenditures due to Indiana Jones but I may get the Falcon once I see it in person.

Though if it's a Target exclusive I won't be getting it. Target stores are too far away and gas is too high to be shopping around looking for some toy. I'd be more inclined to buy it if I found it at the local Wal-Mart, K-Mart, or TRU.

jedi master sal
04-13-2008, 06:02 PM
Somebody here could likely hook you up if you don't mind parting with postage. With gas where it will be in July, that may be the better bet, depending on your mileage!

Exactly. pegger knows I can hook him up there. I don't imagine the shipping would cost as much as the difference in price for US/Canada.

TheCivilCollector
04-13-2008, 06:23 PM
This looks ABSOLUTELY FREAKING AMAZING and I SERIOUSLY want it..... but, I'm going to pass on this one.

I just can't figure out where the hell I'd put it, in OR out of package.

This brings me to my main problem with more realistically scaled ships: They're just too damned big. I'd be curious how heavy it is, as well. Could a kid even lift it?

I'm betting a lot of collectors are doing the happy-dance right now, though. (I'm looking at you, JediTricks! :thumbsup:)

stillakid
04-13-2008, 06:54 PM

:thumbsup:)

Man, I have to ask myself that question every day. :smoker:

pegger
04-13-2008, 06:55 PM

They're just too damned big. I'd be curious how heavy it is, as well.

That's what she said!

TheCivilCollector
04-13-2008, 06:57 PM
That's what she said!

Ba-doom-boom. lol

Tycho
04-13-2008, 08:27 PM
I'm not going to waste time arguing about this while I could be spending my time writing posts that are completely absurd, focus on my dreams, and make no sense whatsoever.

But if I really have to contribute something useful to this discussion:

I will buy 2 AT-TEs and 1 Millennium Falcon upon first sighting them.

It makes little sense to speculate how they'll do at retail. In just a few more months (at least for the AT-TE, and I guess for the Falcon, though it hasn't been proven to me that they're coming out at the same time), we will know how they sell.

If they sell quickly, I'll still be getting out the door with mine at 10 after 8 am, and it won't be a problem.

If they sell slowly, I'll discover I could have gotten more sleep, but I'll already have these vehicles and won't have to worry about them. Then they may sell quickly or poorly to the consumers that follow.

If they sell well, I'll use that discovery to support my argument that Hasbro should produce Jabba's Sailbarge, the Turbotank, and the Tantive IV next. Then a Star Destroyer.

If they don't sell well, I'll be unhappy and not attempt to cry over the other large vehicles I want the toy company to make.

bigbarada
04-14-2008, 01:44 AM
You better NOT! There'll always be some place to put it, even if you have to hang it from the ceiling as Stilla suggested! If I know you and your vintage, I think you'd kick yourself for selling off those two items! Just sell an organ or something, it would be much easier ;) This new falcon has so many things going on, I'm sure it could be substituted for tonsils or an appendix :yes:

You're right, I just let the excitement get the better of me.lol But this IS the Millenium Falcon after all, the only vehicle in the entire saga that is actually a character in the story with a personality all it's own (especially in ESB). So, in a way, this is the ultimate Millenium Falcon action figure, not just a vehicle.

JON9000
04-14-2008, 10:07 AM
Sailbarge.

You know, 5 months ago I was convinced it could never happen. Now, I am not so sure. If that ATTE sells through at $200, who knows?

If I decide I really don't have enough room for the Falcon, I'll just buy it, stand it upright in the box (it has some righteous artwork) to display it, and then open it at a later date when I have more room!

TheDarthVader
04-14-2008, 11:45 AM

Buy a motorcycle. As a side note, I love this new Falcon and will be buying two of these ships.

Tycho
04-14-2008, 11:49 AM
JON9000, I think you made a typo, because you just doubled the price of the AT-TE.

I thought it would be $100, but yes I'll spend twice the amount, only to get 2 of them.

JEDIpartner
04-14-2008, 04:01 PM
many are poo-pooing the AT-TE now, just last month or so many were praising it.

I'm pooh-poohing my paycheque. :cry:

JediTricks
04-14-2008, 05:44 PM
I don't know where I'll put it, but i'll make some space, that's for sure. I made space for the Zizzle Black Pearl, that thing's awesome... this box will be deeper though.

Jedi_Kal-El
04-14-2008, 05:57 PM
I'll make space for it. I can hang any of my 200 Jedi Starfighters from the ceiling.

pegger
04-14-2008, 06:02 PM
... this box will be deeper though.

That's what she said.

Tycho
04-14-2008, 07:24 PM
the Zizzle Black Pearl, that thing's awesome...

This is an auto-word trigger for me.

You say Zizzle Black Pearl, and I say Jabba's Sailbarge.

This is an ongoing source of angst for me. If you thought I had trouble dealing with the 2004 election...

By the way, at most the Millennium Falcon had 7 crew members aboard her during any given movie.

Jabba's Sailbarge:

1) Jabba
2) Bib
3) Luke
4) Leia
5) Boba Fett
6) Gamorrean Guard (not counting multiples)
7) Weequay
8) Klaatu
9) Barada
10) Nikto
11) Tessek
12) Ree-Yees
13) C-3PO
14) R2D2
15) Salacious Crumb
16) Max Rebo
17) Droopy McCool
18) Sy Snootles

I don't even have to go on. If they made the Tantive IV or the Star Destroyer, I don't think you'd get as many DIFFERENT figures (not counting multiples) aboard when compared to the sailbarge.

I know the Falcon is iconic, and I'm buying her. I'm just saying that Zizzle Black Pearl upsets me to no end. Plus I think they sold that thing for around $60.

TheDarthVader
04-15-2008, 12:26 AM
Tycho, I think you are correct. I am fairly sure that I bought one for $59.99.

stillakid
04-15-2008, 01:25 AM
The "more accurate" TIE Fighter was first. Well, maybe the Landspeeder, but whatever...

Anyway, so now we have the Deluxe Falcon to look forward to.

The next best seller would be the Star Destroyer mostly because it is more iconic than almost any other vehicle in the saga.

After that would be the Death STar. Actually, it would probably be more iconic than the Star Destroyer, but a ship would probably sell better than a ball* (* see the links in my sig line to learn how Hasbro should do these RIGHT!)

AFTER those...WELL after those, Hasbro could then turn to less memorable vehicles like the Sail Barge and the Tantive IV. While definitely cool to COLLECTORS only, they likely will never sell anywhere near as well as the far more marketable Star Destroyer and the Death Star. Nothing against the other ships in the saga... it's just reality. It's the same reason that NOBODY knows who the hell most of these EU comic pack figures are. Most consumers wouldn't recognize (or buy) a Sailbarge (:confused:) if it came with a Wikipedia entry.

Hasbro should stick with the truly iconic and marketable items for the remaining years if they want to keep this property alive through 2018. Diverting too far from the main movies and the most iconic "things" will keep all but the most ardent collectors away. That's just reality

Blue2th
04-15-2008, 02:00 AM
I still think Jabba's Sailbarge is doable, and would sell well (the Black Pearl proved that)
If they did it right. Sure it doesn't have to be to scale, but large enough to fit all those characters mentioned.
It's the next logical big vehicle-playset that Hasbro should do.
Other than the Falcon, maybe a bigger Sandcrawler, I don't know what vehicle they could do in a large size from the OTC that could still be cool enough to warrant the expense of producing it.

Jargo
04-15-2008, 07:38 AM
Rebel blockade runner is as big as hasbro will go. no doubt in my mind. four room interior. Cockpit, briefing room, corridor and escape pod bay. three feet long. working landing gear and access ramp. missile firing cannons. light up engines and cockpit. maybe an escape pod re-used from the threepio release. based on the vintage idea but built to match today's market. underscaled, releasable for ROTS, ANH and ROTJ with differing markings and crew.

bigbarada
04-15-2008, 12:01 PM
The "more accurate" TIE Fighter was first. Well, maybe the Landspeeder, but whatever...

The next best seller would be the Star Destroyer mostly because it is more iconic than almost any other vehicle in the saga.

After that would be the Death STar. Actually, it would probably be more iconic than the Star Destroyer, but a ship would probably sell better than a ball* (* see the links in my sig line to learn how Hasbro should do these RIGHT!)

AFTER those...WELL after those, Hasbro could then turn to less memorable vehicles like the Sail Barge and the Tantive IV. While definitely cool to COLLECTORS only, they likely will never sell anywhere near as well as the far more marketable Star Destroyer and the Death Star. Nothing against the other ships in the saga... it's just reality. It's the same reason that NOBODY knows who the hell most of these EU comic pack figures are. Most consumers wouldn't recognize (or buy) a Sailbarge (:confused:) if it came with a Wikipedia entry.

Hasbro should stick with the truly iconic and marketable items for the remaining years if they want to keep this property alive through 2018. Diverting too far from the main movies and the most iconic "things" will keep all but the most ardent collectors away. That's just reality

I actually agree about the Sail Barge, I think that the time to make that toy came and went over 20 years ago.

However, I won't begrudge Hasbro if they do decide to make one (but I really think they need to make a new, larger AT-AT first). If Hasbro does make the Sail Barge, then they need to make sure that Jabba the Hutt is front and center on the packaging, because people know who Jabba is.

I would definitely like to see a new Death Star and a Star Destroyer, but only if done really well. However, I think a Blockade Runner would be next on my want list after a new, larger AT-AT.

Did I mention that I want a new, larger AT-AT?:)

stillakid
04-15-2008, 01:17 PM
Did I mention that I want a new, larger AT-AT?:)

How come? What new/different/improved features would you like to see included? :)

For my money, I like the vintage one I have over the newer version. The added Sound FX were interesting, but I preferred the electronic moving guns instead. Heck, if I had any request for a new improved Deluxe AT-AT, it would to motorize the whole thing and have it actually walk! And if they go that far, make it remote controlled too. Now THAT would be cool as hell and would be a guaranteed best-seller!:love:

bigbarada
04-15-2008, 01:35 PM
How come? What new/different/improved features would you like to see included? :)

For my money, I like the vintage one I have over the newer version. The added Sound FX were interesting, but I preferred the electronic moving guns instead. Heck, if I had any request for a new improved Deluxe AT-AT, it would to motorize the whole thing and have it actually walk! And if they go that far, make it remote controlled too. Now THAT would be cool as hell and would be a guaranteed best-seller!:love:

Well, I'd like it to be about 36" to 42" tall with better proportions. The head on the current toy is too large and distorted in order to fit figures and the 1980s electronics technology. Making the AT-AT larger will allow Hasbro to make a head that looks more like it did in the movie AND be able to hold three crewmembers (not just two) AND allow electronic features. The body should also be able to hold 20-30 troopers and/or a few Speeder Bikes.

I would have to say no to the motorized walking, since I doubt you could even get a convincing AT-AT walk out of a $2000 robot, much less a sub-$200 toy. If Hasbro tried it, it would just turn out to be an annoying shuffling around on the ground.

Droid
04-15-2008, 02:27 PM
I just can't see them making a bigger AT-AT (though a better cockpit would be neat).

I imagine the next vehicle to get redone might be the AT-ST (so there is a four person cockpit). I could also see them doing a bigger skiff (if it sold maybe they would think Sail Barge, but I think the skiff first).

At least with the Sail Barge you could re-create Luke's fight on top of the Sail Barge and Leia's fight with Jabba inside, but I'd be surprised if they ever made a Sail Barge. I think it would be a good carrying case like the old Rebel transport from the Vintage line.

I'd like to see them make a bigger sandcrawler, but that isn't a very exciting vehicle.

I think the Death Star playset might be doable.

I just can't imagine them doing the Star Destroyer or the Blockade Runner. The Blockade Runner as a ship never did anything but get shot up. Yes, there was a good fight in a hallway in Episode IV, but I can't see them promoting, "Recreate the very scene where Yoda, Obi-wan, and Bail walked down a hallway!" I can't see them making a vehicle where it's primary play feature is a hallway.

And the Star Destroyer bridge is neat, but I can't see them building a ship as a place for bounty hunters to stand.

I still wish they would do some smaller playsets. I would buy the bridge Vader and Luke fought on in Empire before Luke got his hand cut off. They could pack in Luke and Vader to make it exciting.

I wish they would let you buy cantina tables and booths as an exclusive like the Cloverfiled Monster.

jedi master sal
04-15-2008, 03:22 PM
Well, I'd like it to be about 36" to 42" tall with better proportions. The head on the current toy is too large and distorted in order to fit figures and the 1980s electronics technology. Making the AT-AT larger will allow Hasbro to make a head that looks more like it did in the movie AND be able to hold three crewmembers (not just two) AND allow electronic features. The body should also be able to hold 20-30 troopers and/or a few Speeder Bikes.

I would have to say no to the motorized walking, since I doubt you could even get a convincing AT-AT walk out of a $2000 robot, much less a sub-$200 toy. If Hasbro tried it, it would just turn out to be an annoying shuffling around on the ground.

I happen to like annoying shuffling! Better than nonchalant shuffling.

JON9000
04-15-2008, 03:46 PM
I don't quite understand how they would make a Death Star "vehicle" that also has an interior, unless they make it something like one of the micro machines unfolding gigs scaled up. Perhaps you could unfold it at the equator, them remove the domes, and have the equivalent of two of the old school Palitoy playsets.

As a toy for kids, I still maintain the old Kenner DS was pretty darn good for play value and relatively genious in making a lot out of nothing. Folded up, what would be the point at that size? Paint your basketball.

JediTricks
04-15-2008, 05:38 PM
I know the Falcon is iconic, and I'm buying her. I'm just saying that Zizzle Black Pearl upsets me to no end. Plus I think they sold that thing for around $60.One of the stores had it for $50, but $60 is the more common price. It's an amazing piece too, I'm thrilled to have it, it's too bad I have to leave it in the box most of the time.

I'm not going to get into the whole "sailbarge" thing because I know Hasbro could make one as good as the Black Pearl around that same size and they're just dragging their feet, I made several compelling arguments but ultimately it's up to them to get off their duffs and do it.

Hasbro should stick with the truly iconic and marketable items for the remaining years if they want to keep this property alive through 2018. Diverting too far from the main movies and the most iconic "things" will keep all but the most ardent collectors away. That's just realityI've stayed out of your Star Destroyer thread because I just have nothing to say there, but the reality is that NOTHING happens on the Star Destroyers, there are no exciting action figure-themed adventure scenes on these things whereas the Sail Barge is a pure adventure scene, 100% of what we saw in the film from it involved tons of characters in action/adventure play patterns. You play a clip from the movie of Luke and Leia fighting on board that thing, the droids too, and then show the toy and kids will buy it. I feel confident in saying they'd be far more likely to buy it than a boring Star Destroyer. Jabba is iconic, and the sail barge I think would carry from that, it's a major setpiece in ROTJ.

And the Death Star is not gonna happen any time soon.

Devil King
04-15-2008, 05:43 PM
found this over at GalacticHunter.com

The BMF Millennium Falcon Hi-Rez
4/8/2008 4:52:23 PM | Reported by Adam_May
A gorgeous Sith Witch conjured up this image (and click again for a massively oversized view) of the upcoming "BMF" Millennium Falcon from Hasbro. No, it's not a Code 3 or an impostor, this is it. Note that the cockpit looks to feature enough room for Chewbacca, Han Solo, the newly diminuitive modern era Princess Leia, and Goldenrod. There are lights, sounds, missiles, and even (hidden behind a door) a medbay. Just click on in and have a look. (Don't forget to click the image again to chew up major bandwidth and enjoy the grand tour!) Thank you to the Sith Witch for this glimpse of things to come.

if this is true, all I can say is WOW

No thank you. As long as I have to cram a figure into a vehicle, I still won't be buying it.

TheDarthVader
04-15-2008, 06:21 PM
I have information from a very reliable source. This falcon will be over 2 1/2 feet long! This bad boy is gonna be expensive.

JON9000
04-15-2008, 06:28 PM
I have information from a very reliable source. This falcon will be over 2 1/2 feet long! This bad boy is gonna be expensive.

I feel like your avatar looks!

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-15-2008, 06:30 PM
Could the reliable source possibly be the front of the box? :p

Devo
04-15-2008, 09:29 PM
No thank you. As long as I have to cram a figure into a vehicle, I still won't be buying it.

Well its the best we were ever going to get. Buy this Falcon or none at all. You surely can't have been expecting a toy completely in scale with 3 3/4 inch figures. I hate having to stuff figures into cramped cockpits too but what needs to be scaled down needs to be scaled down. Other things don't need to be scaled down and yet they are because Hasbro want to meet a particular low pricepoint - such as the AOTC airspeeders or the Tantive IV escape pod - these things annoy me because I don't think accurate scale would have been that much more expensive in those cases. But any Falcon bigger than the old one has to be acceptable because that was a big toy even as it was. Again I'd like the best of both worlds, both this toy to represent the entire ship in a hangar bay diorama, and independant correctly scaled parts such as the cockpit that replicates the horizontal and vertical height aswell as the details of its film counterpart. This would be easier to buy more than one of so people could display various combinations of figures.

bigbarada
04-15-2008, 10:33 PM
Yes, this is shaping up to be the best Falcon we are ever going to get. A correctly scaled Falcon would probably be more than 5 feet in diameter. Not only would Hasbro never make something that large, but no retailer would commit to something taking up that much shelf space.

In fact, that's the only danger with this Falcon. What if retailers don't want two very large, expensive Star Wars toys in one year? People assume that Hasbro only does exclusives out of some kind of greedy motives; but it's just the reality of the industry. Hasbro has to sell the toy to the retailers before they can sell it to us. If retailers aren't convinced that a $100+ toy based on a 31 year old movie will sell, then Hasbro will have no choice but to try to release it as an exclusive or just kill the whole project altogether.

Isn't Toy Fair the event that toy companies use to drum up retailer interest in their products? Originally, I don't think it was a public event at all. So, isn't the fact that this Falcon toy wasn't shown at Toy Fair '08 pretty much proof that it will be an exclusive?

Maybe I don't fully understand how this system works.

stillakid
04-16-2008, 12:31 AM
I don't understand the sentiment of wanting a vehicle that is "correctly scaled." Producing a toy in scale with 4" tall action figures is a fairly ridiculous request, particularly with the much larger vehicles like the Falcon, the Star Destroyer or anything else in that category.

What I've repeatedly proposed is a vehicle that, when "closed," LOOKS perfectly scaled and accurate on the outside, but can open up to reveal play environments on the inside. To expect that a toy can be accurate on the inside and out just isn't practical. They don't even build real sets and "props" that way for pretty much the same reason.

As far as the topic of "nothing happens" on one ship or another, what ever "happened" on the Falcon relative to the action on a Star Destroyer? A couple of scenes of everyone in the cockpit staring out the window.... a fairly inactive game of chess.... Luke waving his saber around whilst getting shot.... Luke and Han in gunner seats.... Han and Leia making out. That's about it. Why does that bastion of "action" rate higher than any other vehicle?

What happens on Star Destroyers? Bounty Hunter gallery.... Vader's Meditation Chamber scenes... Vader killing officers... Capture of the Tantive IV (using Micromachines size Tantive).... "hiding" Falcon (using Micromachines size Falcon)....

Sail Barge? Bunch of aliens looking out the windows... Jabba laughing then getting choked to death.... Luke fighting some aliens then swinging with Leia off of it.... it blows up.

TIE Fighters and XWings... guys fly in them and blow up.

Landspeeder... Luke and the droids ride around in it for a while to get from A to B.

AT AT... a few guys ride in them and they walk and fall.

Imperial Shuttle.... a scene of the good guys staring out the window.... a couple shots of bad guys exiting the vehicle.

Death Star.... LOTS happens which is why this "vehicle/playset" should be at the top of the priority list for Hasbro before they kiss the franchise goodbye.

Anyway, the point is, if the criteria for what gets made is dependent upon what "happens" in it/with it, then most of the stuff we already have should never have been made in the first place. Taking everything into consideration, from marketing to playability, the only rational course of action for Hasbro to take is to do as I've repeatedly suggested.... build vehicles with "movie accurate" exteriors (scaled or not) with playable interiors. And choosing the most iconic vehicles first, like the Star Destroyer and Death Star in order to reach even the most casual of fans. Doing anything else, like "modular" playsets or choosing B and C level vehicles only serves the most ardent collectors which almost guarantees lower sales numbers and would only give Hasbro ammunition to claim that large vehicles and playsets don't sell.

Devo
04-16-2008, 01:43 AM
I only would like correctly scaled 'sections' of vehicles where the complete toy also exists - I've already mentioned the Falcon - I also wouldn't mind and would definitely buy a correctly scaled AT-AT cockpit - at least that it could hold the two pilots at the front, general Veers with his pull-down scope, and a snowtrooper at the back. This would be a companion to the existing toy. I've never suggested, in case anyone thinks otherwise, that Hasbro should be doing vehicles this way instead. Now I admit that the idea of Hasbro going both routes is extremely wishful thinking but I still see great appeal in Hasbro replicating certain interior vehicular environments - things scaled in such a way that would be unfeasible on full-bodied toys. Certainly in the case of the AT-AT we can safely assume that no toy will ever be big enough to enable the amount of cockpit space seen in the film - yet this is a 'scene' I would wish to accurately recreate with the figures I have.

And take also the Desert Skiff - the old one is a cute little sculpt but its too undersized considering the amount of characters and their activities it is supposed to accomodate. How would a correctly scaled skiff not be A)feasible - its not that big - at least sell it as a store exclusive and B) appealing to collectors of the diorama building kind - and lets face it if you have a skiff you probably have some sort of diorama going on.

I agree with Stillakid on the Star Destroyer - its as iconic a vehicle as the TIE fighter in terms of the exterior - I think it would have a decent audience - at least the same audience that are going to buy the Falcon. There may not be a correlation but how have the LEGO star destroyers done at retail? You could also consider Hasbro's Vader obsession - star destroyers are associated with Vader and as far as Hasbro are concerned he is the main character of the saga.

The Sailbarge, the vehicle by itself, is obviously less iconic despite the action on and around it in ROTJ but I still want it very much. Perhaps it would doom the large vehicle assortment, just make sure all the more recogniseable ones are done first - namely the Destroyer and the Tantive...we can probably rule out the Rebel Transport and obviously calamari cruisers and the medical frigate.

jedi master sal
04-16-2008, 09:53 AM
I don't understand the sentiment of wanting a vehicle that is "correctly scaled." Producing a toy in scale with 4" tall action figures is a fairly ridiculous request, particularly with the much larger vehicles like the Falcon, the Star Destroyer or anything else in that category.

What I've repeatedly proposed is a vehicle that, when "closed," LOOKS perfectly scaled and accurate on the outside, but can open up to reveal play environments on the inside. To expect that a toy can be accurate on the inside and out just isn't practical. They don't even build real sets and "props" that way for pretty much the same reason.

As far as the topic of "nothing happens" on one ship or another, what ever "happened" on the Falcon relative to the action on a Star Destroyer? A couple of scenes of everyone in the cockpit staring out the window.... a fairly inactive game of chess.... Luke waving his saber around whilst getting shot.... Luke and Han in gunner seats.... Han and Leia making out. That's about it. Why does that bastion of "action" rate higher than any other vehicle?

What happens on Star Destroyers? Bounty Hunter gallery.... Vader's Meditation Chamber scenes... Vader killing officers... Capture of the Tantive IV (using Micromachines size Tantive).... "hiding" Falcon (using Micromachines size Falcon)....

Sail Barge? Bunch of aliens looking out the windows... Jabba laughing then getting choked to death.... Luke fighting some aliens then swinging with Leia off of it.... it blows up.

TIE Fighters and XWings... guys fly in them and blow up.

Landspeeder... Luke and the droids ride around in it for a while to get from A to B.

AT AT... a few guys ride in them and they walk and fall.

Imperial Shuttle.... a scene of the good guys staring out the window.... a couple shots of bad guys exiting the vehicle.

Death Star.... LOTS happens which is why this "vehicle/playset" should be at the top of the priority list for Hasbro before they kiss the franchise goodbye.

Anyway, the point is, if the criteria for what gets made is dependent upon what "happens" in it/with it, then most of the stuff we already have should never have been made in the first place. Taking everything into consideration, from marketing to playability, the only rational course of action for Hasbro to take is to do as I've repeatedly suggested.... build vehicles with "movie accurate" exteriors (scaled or not) with playable interiors. And choosing the most iconic vehicles first, like the Star Destroyer and Death Star in order to reach even the most casual of fans. Doing anything else, like "modular" playsets or choosing B and C level vehicles only serves the most ardent collectors which almost guarantees lower sales numbers and would only give Hasbro ammunition to claim that large vehicles and playsets don't sell.

I'll agree with you on most points here SK. Accuracy of sculpt from the outside would be relatively important though the scale of the inside need not be. There's no way we'd get a scale Tantive IV as that would be 27' 5-1/4" in length.
An average figure is 3.75" which is equal to 2M in scale. The Tantive IV is 150M in length. So in action figure scale 1.875"=1M. Multiply that by 150(M)=281.25" or 27' 5-1/4". No chance of this being made to scale then. So the only option is to make an accurate outside for looks only and make the innards scaled somewhat for only the most important scenes in the movie.
In the case of the Tantive IV those would most likely be:
Main Hallway (where the Stormtroopers blasted through)
Dark hallway where Leia made the hologram message and inserted the plans into R2
Escape pod area (with escape pod attach to ship)

I think that could easily be done in a 3ft long ship.

With regards as to why certain ships should be done over others, I think there are certain criteria it should meet.
1. It's an action vehicle. By default all starfighters are included-no not the Cloud Car as that was a patrol vehicle, not a starfighter.
2. Were there many of the heroes present. This goes to Falcon. While some "action" did take place, it's the fact that the heroes were seen on it constantly
3. Screen time. If a specific ship has lots of screen time it makes sense to make it as it's instantly recognizable.

Now the conditions by which ships might not be made (though of course there are exceptions to these):
1. Non action vehicle-no major battles occurred in/around the vessel
2. no major hero type boarded the vessel.
3. Little screen time (or non as in the case of EU ships)
4. Accurate scale-or even close scale
5. Too many "working" parts and/or electronics needed to make it inexpensively

Granted again there are exceptions to both sides. But I think these are just some reasons why we as yet haven't seen a Sail Barge of Tantive IV and in the case of the latter, unlikely to. Though I'd very much want to have one.

An accurate AT-AT is 22.5M high (per wookieepedia). So in action figure scale an accurate AT-AT would be 3' 6-3/16" tall. Actually I think that is VERY viable. Make it "some assembly required" as the current one is. It can be packaged up in a relative small box unassembled. Each leg could be in two halves with the lower leg/foot as one half and the upper leg/hip joint as the other half. The head can already be connected to the body. The box itself wouldn't have to be any bigger than one foot high, 1 1/2 to 2 ft wide and less than 8 inches deep.

So after all of this, basically I'm all for larger vehicles. Hopefully some in accurate scale as they can be and for others, make them look great on the outside and have scaled elements on the inside for maximum playability.

-Sal

Jargo
04-16-2008, 10:24 AM
I don't want a star destroyer. at any scale. or a death star.

the tantive is a 150 meter long ship. the sail barge is 30 meters long. the falcon is 26.7 meters long. Slave-1 is 21.5 meters long. Imperial landing craft is 20 meters long.

insofar as playable toys are concerned I'd be looking at the sail barge and landing craft. A bigger slave-1. vehicles that you don't have to make massive compromises on.

convert meters to feet and in scale you'd have to make massive compromises and reduce it to large vehicle size and you end up with a three foot vehicle with a really rubbish interior. I've spent a few hours trying to jiggle things round and fit an interior into a tantive at three feet and I just can't make the things i know people would want fit into the confines of the ships shape. even shaving off areas it just doesn't work.

talking about a star destroyer which is a 1,600 meter long ship being reduced to toy scale with an interior just fills me with dread horror. the death star even more so. the first one is 120 kilometers across and the second 160 kilometers. even at rinkydink puny scale i can't imagine a death star smaller than five feet that looked anything like good.

So if i plonk down any cash on vehicles it'll be the smaller ones. the ones where there's a reasonable facsimile of an interior and the outside matches the scale of the inside. Outrider, Imperial landing craft, palpatines shuttle, Neimoidian shuttle, Sail barge, Slave-1, Dooku's solar sailer, Naboo royal yacht, and various land and air speeders. not some majorly fudged scale capital ship with a couple of jemmied in spaces and an exterior that is seriously lacking.

I personally think that anyone who wants a star destroyer should make their own. I think anyone who wants a playset should give up because hasbro aren't making them. and those they have made have been really poor anyway. hasbro should in this case give the license for playsets up so someone else can tackle them. And just concentrate on making decent vehicles such as the Millenium falcon.

dindae
04-16-2008, 12:34 PM
I don't think there are many big vehicles I really would like to see after this. Mainly because I don't see them being able to pull it off give the scale excitement ratio.

At-at - I like the old one. If they made it bigger I don't see it adding much to play value except a bigger cockpit which isn't enough for me to plop down $100+

Sail Barge - I want this I think it can be done well. The scale won't be too off and all I want would be a place for Jabba and his minions, a way to get figures to the top part of the ship, a few opening windows, and the large cannon. Now if they attached it to a sarlacc pit it would be perfect maybe with spots you could attach a few skiffs to as well sold around the same time.

Star Destroyer - I like the ship but I don't know if it would be worth it. The scale would be way off. Since all of the scenes are of the bridge and the meditation chamber so that would be all I would want from it and I don't know if that is worth it. I would rather have a couple of $30 dollar playsets.

Death Star - I don't need a ball shape. I really liked the vintage playset. I would really just like to see they revamp that.

Blockade Runner - I think this could be done but probably not as exciting for kids. It would be less out of scale then the Star Destroyer. The scenes I want are the main hallway and escape pod hallway which could be done. You could throw in cockpit and other things as well to make it more exciting to kids.

Slave 1 - The current version is all that I need. It may not be to scale but the only other ship we really see it with is the falcon which is also out of scale so it doesn't matter.

Turbo Tank - I don't see why we won't get this if it is in the cartoon. It's not nearly as iconic to me but it is the only real PT vehicle I see them making in this scale.

jedi master sal
04-16-2008, 12:41 PM
hasbro should in this case give the license for playsets up so someone else can tackle them. And just concentrate on making decent vehicles such as the Millenium falcon.

They've said more than once though that that is something they are not willing to do. Doesn't mean "never," but it's highly probable they will not pass that portion of the license off to some other company.

My highest hopes here with the Falcon and AT-TE is that Hasbro will finally wake up and see we are wiling to buy large/expensive items and finally consider and make diorama. Be those all-in-one sets or modular (my preference).

-Sal

TheDarthVader
04-16-2008, 12:44 PM
Could the reliable source possibly be the front of the box? :p

hmmm. yes, it is the front of the box! how did you know. lol i guess i forgot that the pics of the falcon have been released...sorry! :D

Droid
04-16-2008, 02:22 PM

I started it by saying the bounty hunters stood on the Star Destroyer, but the bounty hunters, the meditation chamber, and Vader killing the officers all happened on the Super Star Destroyer, not the Star Destroyer.

Not that you couldn't put those play areas in a regular Star Destroyer.

stillakid
04-16-2008, 02:37 PM
I started it by saying the bounty hunters stood on the Star Destroyer, but the bounty hunters, the meditation chamber, and Vader killing the officers all happened on the Super Star Destroyer, not the Star Destroyer.

Not that you couldn't put those play areas in a regular Star Destroyer.

Yeah, I thought of that, but hey, how picky can we really be? ;)

The same logic goes into the Death Star designs that I wrote up a long time ago. But it wouldn't really make a whole lot of difference to have Death Star I features side by side with ROTJ Death Star features in one toy. Accurate? No. But it's just a toy, which is why things like proper scale and "accurate" detail aren't really that important. So long as these things at least resemble the movie versions on the outside and incorporate practical play features on the inside, I'm sure that everyone would be more than happy despite claims otherwise. If it's completely accurate scaled down dioramas somebody wants, a toy company will never make them. They make toys... not display pieces.

mtriv73
04-16-2008, 03:16 PM
I don't understand the sentiment of wanting a vehicle that is "correctly scaled." Producing a toy in scale with 4" tall action figures is a fairly ridiculous request...

I'd love to have a 3-3/4" scale star destroyer. You could live in it. It would be about 293 feet long and would probably cost somewhere around $300,000 (still cheaper than a house.) Hopefully, it would also come with a free Blockade runner. An entire forest would have to be leveled to make the cardboard for the box and the price of oil would go up $5 a barrell just because of the increased demand for plastic to make these. I'd also have to buy 100's of imperial officers and stormtroopers to man it as well as 70 more TIE fighters of various types to fill the hangers (there's no sense having a "to scale" toy without having the right toys to exist in it.) All told, this toy could singlehandedly ruin the environment and bankrupt my family for generations. I say lets start working on tooling.

stillakid
04-16-2008, 03:41 PM
it would also come with a free Blockade runner.

Now you're just gettin' silly.

jedi master sal
04-16-2008, 03:51 PM
I'd love to have a 3-3/4" scale star destroyer. You could live in it. It would be about 293 feet long and would probably cost somewhere around $300,000 (still cheaper than a house.) Hopefully, it would also come with a free Blockade runner. An entire forest would have to be leveled to make the cardboard for the box and the price of oil would go up $5 a barrell just because of the increased demand for plastic to make these. I'd also have to buy 100's of imperial officers and stormtroopers to man it as well as 70 more TIE fighters of various types to fill the hangers (there's no sense having a "to scale" toy without having the right toys to exist in it.) All told, this toy could singlehandedly ruin the environment and bankrupt my family for generations. I say lets start working on tooling.

I second this...lol

JediTricks
04-16-2008, 04:15 PM
As far as the topic of "nothing happens" on one ship or another, what ever "happened" on the Falcon relative to the action on a Star Destroyer? A couple of scenes of everyone in the cockpit staring out the window.... a fairly inactive game of chess.... Luke waving his saber around whilst getting shot.... Luke and Han in gunner seats.... Han and Leia making out. That's about it. Why does that bastion of "action" rate higher than any other vehicle?In order:

Han Solo's firefight with the stormtroopers.
Luke Skywalker learning about the Force.
First TIE Fighter attack (pre-Death Star flyby).
Hidden heroes under the floorboards into scanning crew killed, stormtroopers' armor stolen.
Luke's firefight with the stormtroopers, watching Obi-Wan die.
TIE Fighter battle - gunners stations, 3PO nearly destroyed.
Hoth battle escape.
Asteroid field escape pt 1.
Heroes escaping Mynocks.
Asteroid field escape pt 2 into Star Destroyer assault.
Treachery at Cloud City (escape).
TIE assault at Cloud City.
Rescuing Luke at Cloud City.
TIE assault at Super Star Destroyer into hyperdrive escape.
Huge final battle of ROTJ.

And that doesn't count dozens of dramatic scenes in and just outside of the ship, as well as plenty more EU scenarios. Yeah, I can see how you'd be confused there thinking it's another boring ship like the ISD. :rolleyes:

What happens on Star Destroyers? Bounty Hunter gallery.... Vader's Meditation Chamber scenes... Vader killing officers... Capture of the Tantive IV (using Micromachines size Tantive).... "hiding" Falcon (using Micromachines size Falcon)....Oookay, you're saying that Vader staring at a guy and him falling down, and the Bounty Hunters gallery counts as "action" even compared to your list of Falcon action? That's just sad. And your latter 2 examples, what fun those would be for action figures to interact with, ships smaller than the figures inside the vehicle. Yeesh. We already have the Collectors Fleet ISD, it's really quite good (a shame Hasbro won't re-release it, but the original is still out there), plus it has "whoosh" factor that a bigger version wouldn't.

Sail Barge? Bunch of aliens looking out the windows... Jabba laughing then getting choked to death.... Luke fighting some aliens then swinging with Leia off of it.... it blows up.Yeah, that sounds just TERRIBLY boring. :rolleyes: Even when you try to dull it down, it's still more exciting than your Star Destroyer example. You forgot Boba Fett launching from it, R2 launching the saber, 3PO being assaulted by Salacious Crumb and R2 rescuing him and Leia, and R2 & 3PO going over the side.

Death Star.... LOTS happens which is why this "vehicle/playset" should be at the top of the priority list for Hasbro before they kiss the franchise goodbye.Not gonna happen, and it's not like there's 1 spot in the Death Star they could recreate to express this. What would be the part you'd put in, the docking bay, the security room overlooking the docking bay, the myriad of hallways the heroes sneak around in, the large pit with the elevators, the main entrance to the cellblock, the cellblock hallway with cell, the chute leading down to the trash masher, the tractor beam power node, the giant chasm, the larger hallway that Obi-Wan dies in, the turbolaser bay, or the gigantic cavernous throne room set at the end of ROTJ? How are you going to fit even half of that in there without making each element tiny and sad? As much as I respect the original Kenner Death Star playset, it's really underwhelming in person, and even that is something Hasbro cannot deliver at this point.

Anyway, the point is, if the criteria for what gets made is dependent upon what "happens" in it/with it, then most of the stuff we already have should never have been made in the first place. You're twisting the facts to fit your agenda, but the reality is that all the vehicles you cited as being made already have something significant happening with them involving major characters and scenes AND are plausible as action figure vehicles, unlike your gigantic underscale behemoth desire. Have you seen the LEGO Star Destroyer? That's as close as you'll get to this concept, and it's a small, not that interesting, triangular room because the ship's design is quite limited to what you could put inside of it at these smaller scales. To call out the Landspeeder as being a good example of why they should make a Star Destroyer is utterly ludicrous, they are far too dissimilar in execution.

I'm not saying the ISD isn't iconic, I'm just saying it's not excitingly so, it's not the action/adventure vehicle a TIE Fighter or the Falcon are, and it's not practical in terms of toyetics the way the Landspeeder is. The Falcon isn't merely a nebulous interior set the way the ISD, Tantive IV, and Death Star are, there's a reason why Lucas had the Falcon be the only practical exterior vehicle setpiece larger than a starfighter built (not once, but twice), because it IS that much more important and expressible in the story than any other larger vehicle.

insofar as playable toys are concerned I'd be looking at the sail barge and landing craft. A bigger slave-1. vehicles that you don't have to make massive compromises on.Agreed, except for the Imperial Landing Craft, that thing is way too flat to translate to a toy (the Action Fleet and LEGO versions both suffer tubbiness trying), and it's barely noticeable in the film.

convert meters to feet and in scale you'd have to make massive compromises and reduce it to large vehicle size and you end up with a three foot vehicle with a really rubbish interior. I've spent a few hours trying to jiggle things round and fit an interior into a tantive at three feet and I just can't make the things i know people would want fit into the confines of the ships shape. even shaving off areas it just doesn't work.Tycho made this back in the day:
http://www.niubniubsuniverse.com/visitors/005Weiselberg/weiselberg2.asp
http://www.niubniubsuniverse.com/visitors/005Weiselberg/weiselberg1.asp
He never finished the interiors, but as you can see, he got a fairly decent amount of "empty box" space inside. If you threw in details and walls, I'm not sure it'd have much interior space left though, and the thing would still be way big. Even that seems outside the realm of possibility, so imagine what a triangular Star Destroyer at this size would look like inside - not much.

This idea of a new AT-AT, it's not a bad idea really, but I am not that into actually buying a new AT-AT despite the fact that I'm not entirely thrilled with the current one. I think the body and head could be scaled up by about 15%, change what the head's about (it could have far more interior space as it currently is if it didn't have as much gearing and electronics under the seats, and if the neck had better structural integrity), add more details to the slightly larger body and put the electronics entirely within it since there ain't much going on in there anyway. But it'd be expensive to make the molds and manufacture it and ship it, so there has to be a hunger for it, and I don't think collectors are quite there yet.

Devil King
04-16-2008, 04:16 PM
Well its the best we were ever going to get. Buy this Falcon or none at all. You surely can't have been expecting a toy completely in scale with 3 3/4 inch figures.

I believe I said "No thank you". So I won't be buying it at all.

Of course I realize perfectly in-scale vehicles woud be huge and expensive. This is why I don't hold my breath for one. But I'm not going to cram a figure into a vehicle after paying 2 or 3 hundred bucks for it.

As for the argument over scenes that take place on this ship or that one, A SD would be better served as a playset than an actual vehicle. Everything takes place on the bridge or in Vaders quaters. So make it a playset of the bridge and a few antechambers as well as Vaders personal quaters just off the bridge. But make it big enough. Those POTF playsets we got in the 90's were a joke. I'm pretty sure that more than 2 or 3 people were in the Endor bunker at any one time. This isn't a college game to see how many people we can fit into a phone booth at once.

stillakid
04-16-2008, 04:39 PM
In order:

Han Solo's firefight with the stormtroopers.
Luke Skywalker learning about the Force.
First TIE Fighter attack (pre-Death Star flyby).
Hidden heroes under the floorboards into scanning crew killed, stormtroopers' armor stolen.
Luke's firefight with the stormtroopers, watching Obi-Wan die.
TIE Fighter battle - gunners stations, 3PO nearly destroyed.
Hoth battle escape.
Asteroid field escape pt 1.
Heroes escaping Mynocks.
Asteroid field escape pt 2 into Star Destroyer assault.
Treachery at Cloud City (escape).
TIE assault at Cloud City.
Rescuing Luke at Cloud City.
TIE assault at Super Star Destroyer into hyperdrive escape.
Huge final battle of ROTJ.

And that doesn't count dozens of dramatic scenes in and just outside of the ship, as well as plenty more EU scenarios. Yeah, I can see how you'd be confused there thinking it's another boring ship like the ISD. :rolleyes:

Oookay, you're saying that Vader staring at a guy and him falling down, and the Bounty Hunters gallery counts as "action" even compared to your list of Falcon action? That's just sad. And your latter 2 examples, what fun those would be for action figures to interact with, ships smaller than the figures inside the vehicle. Yeesh. We already have the Collectors Fleet ISD, it's really quite good (a shame Hasbro won't re-release it, but the original is still out there), plus it has "whoosh" factor that a bigger version wouldn't.

Yeah, that sounds just TERRIBLY boring. :rolleyes: Even when you try to dull it down, it's still more exciting than your Star Destroyer example. You forgot Boba Fett launching from it, R2 launching the saber, 3PO being assaulted by Salacious Crumb and R2 rescuing him and Leia, and R2 & 3PO going over the side.

Not gonna happen, and it's not like there's 1 spot in the Death Star they could recreate to express this. What would be the part you'd put in, the docking bay, the security room overlooking the docking bay, the myriad of hallways the heroes sneak around in, the large pit with the elevators, the main entrance to the cellblock, the cellblock hallway with cell, the chute leading down to the trash masher, the tractor beam power node, the giant chasm, the larger hallway that Obi-Wan dies in, the turbolaser bay, or the gigantic cavernous throne room set at the end of ROTJ? How are you going to fit even half of that in there without making each element tiny and sad? As much as I respect the original Kenner Death Star playset, it's really underwhelming in person, and even that is something Hasbro cannot deliver at this point.

You're twisting the facts to fit your agenda, but the reality is that all the vehicles you cited as being made already have something significant happening with them involving major characters and scenes AND are plausible as action figure vehicles, unlike your gigantic underscale behemoth desire. Have you seen the LEGO Star Destroyer? That's as close as you'll get to this concept, and it's a small, not that interesting, triangular room because the ship's design is quite limited to what you could put inside of it at these smaller scales. To call out the Landspeeder as being a good example of why they should make a Star Destroyer is utterly ludicrous, they are far too dissimilar in execution.

I'm not saying the ISD isn't iconic, I'm just saying it's not excitingly so, it's not the action/adventure vehicle a TIE Fighter or the Falcon are, and it's not practical in terms of toyetics the way the Landspeeder is. The Falcon isn't merely a nebulous interior set the way the ISD, Tantive IV, and Death Star are, there's a reason why Lucas had the Falcon be the only practical exterior vehicle setpiece larger than a starfighter built (not once, but twice), because it IS that much more important and expressible in the story than any other larger vehicle.

Agreed, except for the Imperial Landing Craft, that thing is way too flat to translate to a toy (the Action Fleet and LEGO versions both suffer tubbiness trying), and it's barely noticeable in the film.

Tycho made this back in the day:
http://www.niubniubsuniverse.com/visitors/005Weiselberg/weiselberg2.asp
http://www.niubniubsuniverse.com/visitors/005Weiselberg/weiselberg1.asp
He never finished the interiors, but as you can see, he got a fairly decent amount of "empty box" space inside. If you threw in details and walls, I'm not sure it'd have much interior space left though, and the thing would still be way big. Even that seems outside the realm of possibility, so imagine what a triangular Star Destroyer at this size would look like inside - not much.

This idea of a new AT-AT, it's not a bad idea really, but I am not that into actually buying a new AT-AT despite the fact that I'm not entirely thrilled with the current one. I think the body and head could be scaled up by about 15%, change what the head's about (it could have far more interior space as it currently is if it didn't have as much gearing and electronics under the seats, and if the neck had better structural integrity), add more details to the slightly larger body and put the electronics entirely within it since there ain't much going on in there anyway. But it'd be expensive to make the molds and manufacture it and ship it, so there has to be a hunger for it, and I don't think collectors are quite there yet.

Disclaimer here is that we're all just shouting into the wind...as if Hasbro really gives a F about what we think.... with THAT in mind, I'll continue this academic discussion by saying... :)

No matter how you choose to try to justify Jabba's Barge (or anything else) over the Star Destroyer or the Death Star (in particular), chances are that 9 out of 10 random people on the street wouldn't know WTF the Barge was while most would likely at least know that the other two were from Star Wars. If recreating every actual scene from the movies is the goal, then sure, why doesn't Hasbro then just create a 1:1 Tatooine since so much happens there? Why? Because it's impractical and wouldn't sell anyway. Point is that the argument being made, that if more "happens" on one vehicle vs another justifies its existence, has little to do with economic reality. Hypothetically, watch Hasbro put out a killer Jabba's Barge for Christmas '08. What do you honestly think would happen? The word "tank" comes to mind, then what would happen? Nothing. They'd use the failure as further evidence that "big ships don't sell" and then we'd get nothing else beyond a few more core figures, more Vaders, and a bunch of EU until 2018.

As "inactive" as the Star Destroyer and the Death Star appear to be to some people, they are still far more marketable than any of the other large ships in the Star Wars saga. Hell, I would LOVE to have that B2 Bomber ship from AOTC (the silver one at the beginning that explodes two minutes into the movie). Am I begging for it? No. Why? Because I know that if I somehow magically convinced Hasbro to make it, that it would bomb in stores and they'd never lift a finger to make another large vehicle. BUT I can safely say that most people know what the Death Star and the Destroyer are and that they would sell not only to "us," but also to the general consumer.

To imagine the Destroyer and the DS takes a little imagination and concession to "get" the play environments "needed." Would they be "movie accurate"? Of course not. It's a toy. Even the real sets aren't "movie accurate." Stage X is on one side of the studio and Stage Y is on the other even though the movie pretends they are connected. So for a Destroyer, the outside would look fairly accurate...and when the kid opens up the lid, the coning tower is really the top of Vader's Meditation Chamber and the "Bounty Hunter Deck" perhaps flips out to provide more space. It'll never be "perfect" (whatever that means), but to flush the idea down the toilet just because there is 15% less activity on it forgets that there is 90% more "marketability" and possibility for it. This Deluxe Falcon assuredly isn't "accurate" either, but for stated reasons of marketability, it has been produced and will sell well. The same logic applies to the Destroyer and the DS. The rest of the larger vehicles and playsets, while cool, just will never have that same general recognizability/marketability therefore they should wait. I'm all for them and I'd buy they (like the Barge), but B and C level environments would doom the line if done first. I'd like to see the better ships first before Hasbro assumes the risk of producing the other decidedly "fan only" type vehicles. It's only smart business.

Devil King
04-16-2008, 04:46 PM
Sure, it's all just wishful thinking, which might imply that no one here is being "stupid".

But, when many people say that one vehicle is more marketable than others, most of the time they're talking about how marketable something is to themselves. I'd buy a decent sized DS or SD playset long beofre I bought the new Falcon.

But there really is no denying that the Falcon is the most marketable vehicle in the entire trilogy, maybe after the X-Wing.

Blue2th
04-16-2008, 04:56 PM
Didn't Hasbro take over Master Replicas?

Weren't some of us mentioning way back when the MR Falcon came out how it would be a great mold (at least the outside) for a serious Falcon playset?

I saw it at SDCC a couple of years ago and the first thing that came to mind was, I'd love to have a falcon that size for a playset.

I know it would probably never happen, but still.

stillakid
04-16-2008, 05:00 PM
Sure, it's all just wishful thinking, which might imply that no one here is being "stupid".

But, when many people say that one vehicle is more marketable than others, most of the time they're talking about how marketable something is to themselves. I'd buy a decent sized DS or SD playset long beofre I bought the new Falcon.

But there really is no denying that the Falcon is the most marketable vehicle in the entire trilogy, maybe after the X-Wing.

I agree. To some degree, it is subjective. However, if asked for a realistic list of some kind, I believe that most people would rank the Falcon, the Star Destroyer and the Death Star above items like the Sail Barge or just about anything else from the Prequels. "Iconic" isn't just a word...it's the rule of marketing. Want to sell it? Then people have to know what it is.

The Death Star Deluxe Playset would sell... no doubt about it. The Star Destroyer... yes, but likely not as well. The Falcon? Well, we'll see, though I honestly expect that it won't do quite as well as everyone hopes, particularly since the US economy is in the sh*t*er right now and gas is so frickin' high. There just isn't as much extra money laying around for people right now (or anytime soon). But here's to hopin'! :)

Devo
04-16-2008, 06:06 PM
Yeah, I can see how you'd be confused there thinking it's another boring ship like the ISD. :rolleyes:

I find your use of the word 'boring' troubling. Do you really mean 'boring', as in your personal opinion, or do you mean it only from Hasbro's business standpoint and their first goal of attracting kids? For most OT Star Wars fans I would have thought the ISD is anything but boring - seriously damned cool more like.

JediTricks
04-16-2008, 07:32 PM
Disclaimer here is that we're all just shouting into the wind...as if Hasbro really gives a F about what we think.... with THAT in mind, I'll continue this academic discussion by saying... :)

No matter how you choose to try to justify Jabba's Barge (or anything else) over the Star Destroyer or the Death Star (in particular), chances are that 9 out of 10 random people on the street wouldn't know WTF the Barge was while most would likely at least know that the other two were from Star Wars. If recreating every actual scene from the movies is the goal, then sure, why doesn't Hasbro then just create a 1:1 Tatooine since so much happens there? Why? Because it's impractical and wouldn't sell anyway. Point is that the argument being made, that if more "happens" on one vehicle vs another justifies its existence, has little to do with economic reality. Hypothetically, watch Hasbro put out a killer Jabba's Barge for Christmas '08. What do you honestly think would happen? The word "tank" comes to mind, then what would happen? Nothing. They'd use the failure as further evidence that "big ships don't sell" and then we'd get nothing else beyond a few more core figures, more Vaders, and a bunch of EU until 2018.

As "inactive" as the Star Destroyer and the Death Star appear to be to some people, they are still far more marketable than any of the other large ships in the Star Wars saga. Hell, I would LOVE to have that B2 Bomber ship from AOTC (the silver one at the beginning that explodes two minutes into the movie). Am I begging for it? No. Why? Because I know that if I somehow magically convinced Hasbro to make it, that it would bomb in stores and they'd never lift a finger to make another large vehicle. BUT I can safely say that most people know what the Death Star and the Destroyer are and that they would sell not only to "us," but also to the general consumer. That giant argument is all very one-note because it chiefly assumes that the value of a toy is recognizability, not feasibility, not play value, not price.

To imagine the Destroyer and the DS takes a little imagination and concession to "get" the play environments "needed." Would they be "movie accurate"? Of course not. It's a toy. Even the real sets aren't "movie accurate." Stage X is on one side of the studio and Stage Y is on the other even though the movie pretends they are connected. So for a Destroyer, the outside would look fairly accurate...and when the kid opens up the lid, the coning tower is really the top of Vader's Meditation Chamber and the "Bounty Hunter Deck" perhaps flips out to provide more space. It'll never be "perfect" (whatever that means), but to flush the idea down the toilet just because there is 15% less activity on it forgets that there is 90% more "marketability" and possibility for it. This Deluxe Falcon assuredly isn't "accurate" either, but for stated reasons of marketability, it has been produced and will sell well. The same logic applies to the Destroyer and the DS. The rest of the larger vehicles and playsets, while cool, just will never have that same general recognizability/marketability therefore they should wait. I'm all for them and I'd buy they (like the Barge), but B and C level environments would doom the line if done first. I'd like to see the better ships first before Hasbro assumes the risk of producing the other decidedly "fan only" type vehicles. It's only smart business.I find it ironic that you are backhandedly insulting those who don't agree your vision for not being imaginative enough to picture your masterpiece when some of us have already imagined it enough to see it not feasible. The "play value" claim on the Star Destroyer doesn't hold water, you cannot get much play room out of a 3' Star Destroyer because even at that scale there's not much actual internal height, that'd be a max height of 10" including from the shield generators on the con tower to the absolute bottom of the wedge shape. The figures are 3.75" tall, that's just over 2 and a half figures tall, even if you fudge it 25% to make it a chubby ISD, it's still not going to be much internal area (and that ignores the fact that it'll need some semblance of a skeletal frame to keep it from collapsing in on itself, much less make decent play areas for the figures). The con tower opens to reveal ANYTHING? You could get 1 single figure to stand upright in the neck or 2 figures to lay down like in a coffin in the bridge section, but open up to reveal the meditation chamber? At least triple the size of the neck and bridge to get anything usable out of that, that's not a minor fudging. The LEGO one is 2 feet long and this is all it can accomplish with its squat little figures that are less than half the height of a Hasbro figure: http://cache.lego.com/images/shop/prod/6211-0000-xx-13-1.jpg
http://cache.lego.com/images/shop/prod/6211-0000-xx-33-1.jpg

Your "logic" has a lot of holes you refuse to accept in your arguments, so to come here and claim ideas like the Sail Barge or AT-AT which are at the very least as justified as anything you've presented here are somehow inferior to yours, that the Falcon should give rise to your specific ideas, that they'd be "the next big seller", that's pretty far-fetched.

Didn't Hasbro take over Master Replicas?

Weren't some of us mentioning way back when the MR Falcon came out how it would be a great mold (at least the outside) for a serious Falcon playset?

I saw it at SDCC a couple of years ago and the first thing that came to mind was, I'd love to have a falcon that size for a playset.

I know it would probably never happen, but still.Hasbro did not take over Master Replicas, MR is still separate, they lost the SW license. Hasbro has the Force FX lightsaber license now, that's what they took over.

MR's Falcon is amazing, but it's HUGE and in-the-thousands expensive and requires a complex internal structure to carry all that weight.

I agree. To some degree, it is subjective. However, if asked for a realistic list of some kind, I believe that most people would rank the Falcon, the Star Destroyer and the Death Star above items like the Sail Barge or just about anything else from the Prequels. "Iconic" isn't just a word...it's the rule of marketing. Want to sell it? Then people have to know what it is. List of what? List of vehicles they'd buy for the action figure line? I think that group of "most people" would be limited to you and maybe a handful of others. Virtually nobody else seems to think the ISD or Death Star you're suggesting is feasible, and few actually want them to be made by Hasbro even if they were possible.

The Death Star Deluxe Playset would sell... no doubt about it. The Star Destroyer... yes, but likely not as well. The Falcon? Well, we'll see, though I honestly expect that it won't do quite as well as everyone hopes, particularly since the US economy is in the sh*t*er right now and gas is so frickin' high. There just isn't as much extra money laying around for people right now (or anytime soon). But here's to hopin'! :) The Death Star fans want something like the Kenner playset, not like the Galoob Double-Takes Death Star. I *highly* doubt the Death Star you're suggesting would sell in the current marketing and manufacturing philosophies at Hasbro, even if we stretch them past the 2 large vehicles we're getting soon.

And to doubt the Falcon over your wild Death Star or ISD ideas seems way way out there, unbelievably fringe.

I find your use of the word 'boring' troubling. Do you really mean 'boring', as in your personal opinion, or do you mean it only from Hasbro's business standpoint and their first goal of attracting kids? For most OT Star Wars fans I would have thought the ISD is anything but boring - seriously damned cool more like.The ISD would be boring within regards to the market. I don't find it a particularly boring ship, but I also do not think it would work AT ALL in context to the 3.75" figures. In terms of figure interaction it would basically be a non-action playset with a vehicle shell like that LEGO set I linked to above, we already know playsets are tanking every time they come out and the less action they have, the less appealing they'll be to the market. The AT-TE, the Falcon, the Black Pearl those are vehicles that have some contextual play pattern with the figures, and ACTION play patterns at that, not just "here's a guy sitting in a room" play patterns that the ISD would suffer.

The play pattern context is what makes the ISD exciting or boring. Figure context? Boring, empty, slow, inactive. Something like Titanium Series where it can interact with other ships though, that's where it becomes exciting.

Deoxyribonucleic
04-16-2008, 07:43 PM
Hey everyone, LOOK! The Hindenburg!!

Jedi_Kal-El
04-16-2008, 07:47 PM

I SEE IT!!!!

El Chuxter
04-16-2008, 09:18 PM
I tire of this bickering.

Tycho
04-16-2008, 09:25 PM
Thanks for the reference to my work, JediTricks.

My Blockade Runner was about as small as I could make it, being that there were 2 goals in mind:

1) Make it a playset with action features that would function as a fun toy for the figures and do almost everything you saw it do in the movie, while working for display purposes.

2) Seal off so the exterior resembles the actual ship it was made to look like.

My Tantive IV includes:

a) working boarding hatch doors on both sides.
b) hallway space for the Fleet Troopers and Stormtroopers to shoot it out
c) gunner station that seats a figure who rotates with the cannon
d) turning radar dish
e) escape pod that separates from the ship and holds R2D2 and C-3PO
f) cockpit with seats for the pilot and co-pilot (made from Falcon playset)

The interior plastic is very slippery and I finally figured that when I care to update the ship, gluing white ice cube maker trays onto the walls would help me achieve the interior panneling. I need to research what kind of permanent adhesive will work with the two types of plastic involved though.

Bicycle reflector pannels (yellow or red) would look good stuck in each of the 11 rear engine nozzles. Another thing I never got to, and an issue with the plastic adhesion to also address.

In the rear "box," detailing the bowels of the ship where Leia hid and making it correlate with the exterior of my toy being next to the TOY ships engines, is also a challenge I haven't addressed yet. (This is not accurate to where Leia was in the movie, but the most practical approach for the TOY).

Maybe doing some more interior detailing to the escape pod would be a final thing I could mess with.

I first built the thing as a prototype and carted the whole monstrousity (with figures on board) into Comic Con in 1999 to show Hasbro that it could be done in the first place. Steve Sansweet actually helped review it. However, their estimates were it would be a $250 toy if actually produced at that scale.

Of course I didn't blink at that. I have a SideShow Jabba The Hutt, Throne, and Creature Packs sitting right next to me at my desk, that I spent like $400 on altogether. There are collectors who will pay.

The Millennium Falcon is perhaps the most iconic ship / movie set to start off with. I agree with Hasbro there. In fact, in 1999 when they looked at my Blockade Runner, I think it was Jennifer Donahoe who told me that the Falcon would be their first choice on the way to get into such a market.

Because of the action on board, the Blockade Runner and the Sailbarge would be the next two most obvious ways to go, if that market were opened up.

I love the vintage Death Star Playset and think Stillakid's idea is awesome and something I'd put money into. It needs to be done. It is a huge undertaking though - to update that thing.

I plan on building a star destroyer if Hasbro won't make one. My proposed 9 foot ship will feature:

a) elevator to the bridge running through "the neck" and operated by a lever in the back of that neck

b) bridge with catwalk and crew pits, stands for holo-figures, and enough room for the bounty hunters

c) meditation chamber "Executor style" for Vader, though the ship will be a standard class Imperial Star Destroyer and not the Executor to give it more standard play value. Perhaps Vader also had a meditation chamber on the Devastator before the Executor was ever built?

d) Probot Droid launcher - an exterior port with a ship-launch tube and "ship-pod" that carries 1 Probot

e) Prison block with detention cell, escape hatch through a wall, and torture chair, as well as command post "Death Star style."

f) docking bay with belly hatch and space to dock one folded-wing TIE (Vader's or usually a TIE bomber) and maybe "maintainance equipment"

g) gunner stations on both sides of the ship with chairs and cannons on the outside that move with the chairs on the inside. Perhaps the toy could have firing missiles (neon green to add color to the gray). 3 - 4 on each side to emphasize the ship's firepower

A kid can recreate the movie scenes including lining up troops in the docking bay or bounty hunters on the bridge, but can expand EU play by having Rebels escape the Detention Block or invade the bridge, maybe by flying ships into the landing bay while the Imperials defend their craft by firing missiles. Grand Admiral Thrawn can also command besides Vader, who can take holo-messages from The Emperor on the bridge or in his meditation room.

I planned the way I'd build the whole ship. I just don't have the room for it right now. I'd also build a sailbarge first, most likely.

BTW, with Jabba being brought into The Clone Wars Animated, you never know if they won't go with the Sailbarge being produced as well. The cartoon could now support it (see the preview for Clone Wars for Jabba - though you will not see his barge. I'm just saying in the actual episodes, you could...)

TheDarthVader
04-16-2008, 10:37 PM
Reading some of these posts is hurting my eyes. I work at a pet shop. If someone can come in and spend $200 on three bags of merchandise or $180 on a pet with all of the goodies for the children, I do not see why wealthy and middle class families will not go for the $150 (or however much it will be) Millennium Falcon. I don't even see Hasbro producing a bunch of these, so 1. the falcon will not be available for too long, and 2. they will not ship (pun) in abundant numbers. Just my ideas...fire away.

Devo
04-16-2008, 10:47 PM
The ISD would be boring within regards to the market. I don't find it a particularly boring ship, but I also do not think it would work AT ALL in context to the 3.75" figures. In terms of figure interaction it would basically be a non-action playset with a vehicle shell like that LEGO set I linked to above, we already know playsets are tanking every time they come out and the less action they have, the less appealing they'll be to the market. The AT-TE, the Falcon, the Black Pearl those are vehicles that have some contextual play pattern with the figures, and ACTION play patterns at that, not just "here's a guy sitting in a room" play patterns that the ISD would suffer.

The play pattern context is what makes the ISD exciting or boring. Figure context? Boring, empty, slow, inactive. Something like Titanium Series where it can interact with other ships though, that's where it becomes exciting.

Why is it that whenever I read these arguments between you and Stillakid I find myself saying 'oh I agree with that... but then again I agree with his counter-argument...hang on he's making a good point again...no no wait thats a fair rebuttal too...wow I agree with him again..' and so on. Its Bjorn borg and John McEnroe...Agassi and Sampras...Federer and Nadal.

I'd love a star destroyer...but for the interiors I want it would need to be a very vertically dense vehicle...and when combined with the width it'd need to be in order to externally correspond accurately it could wind up being bigger than there has ever been a precedent for. And theres really only so big Hasbro would be willing to go with a toy for this line - the naboo royal starship was probably the cut-off. So thats a serious enough blow to the ISD's prospects for feasibility. Plus all the stuff about whether its action-orientated enough and the kind of audience Hasbro want for it.

Jedi_Kal-El
04-16-2008, 11:16 PM
I tire of this bickering.

You're not alone, dude.

bigbarada
04-16-2008, 11:29 PM
I don't see how you can really compare the Millenium Falcon to any of the Star Destroyers or even the Death Star. Almost every single main hero character from the OT has interacted with the Falcon directly. Luke, Ben, Han, Leia, Lando, Chewie, Artoo, Threepio have all had some kind of memorable scene on that ship.

I would love to see some kind of vehicle/playsets of the Star Destroyers or the Blockade Runner, but I don't think any of them hold a candle to the Falcon in terms of importance to the Star Wars saga. The Death Star could never be anything more than a playset, it's an environment more than anything else, you might as well be asking for a complete toy version of the planet Tatooine.

Blue2th
04-17-2008, 12:56 AM
I have a Star Destroyer in the form of the "Collector Fleet" and that's probably as big as we're ever gonna get one.

CaptainSolo1138
04-17-2008, 08:51 AM
$179 for the Falcon? (http://www.rebelscum.com/story/front/New_Star_Wars_Toy_Details_Uncovered_113944.asp)

Yeah, I think I'm good.:rolleyes:

jedi master sal
04-17-2008, 09:03 AM
$179 for the Falcon? (http://www.rebelscum.com/story/front/New_Star_Wars_Toy_Details_Uncovered_113944.asp)

Yeah, but that's KB's price. Not TRU/Target/Wal*Mart's prices.

I'd expect to get this for $150 or less.

Jargo
04-17-2008, 09:04 AM
At todays rates that converts to 93.36 GBP which is actually less than I anticipated however by the time customs duty is added on top and then value added tax at 17.5% we'll probably be looking at closer to 120. then there's retailers markup so it'll go as high as 150. that converts to $287.58.

of course i'm just throwing numbers around here and conversion rates rise and fall all the time but i'm still happy to pay 150 for this. but that's my limit.

Droid
04-17-2008, 09:38 AM
I don't see how you can really compare the Millenium Falcon to any of the Star Destroyers or even the Death Star. Almost every single main hero character from the OT has interacted with the Falcon directly. Luke, Ben, Han, Leia, Lando, Chewie, Artoo, Threepio have all had some kind of memorable scene on that ship.

Even Vader said, "I want that ship."

They should put that in a commercial for the toy.

El Chuxter
04-17-2008, 09:40 AM
Keep in mind that it will actually be $40 at KB.

Next year, that is.

Droid
04-17-2008, 09:41 AM

I don't really think they'll ever make a toy of the Hindenburg. What could it really do? Fly around and crash. It's not like we ever saw anything exciting happen on the ship.

I could see them making a Titanium of it.

bigbarada
04-17-2008, 11:04 AM

Yeah, but that's KB's price. Not TRU/Target/Wal*Mart's prices.

I'd expect to get this for $150 or less.

I'll plan to set aside $200 for this ship. If I am forced to order it online, then I'll prepare for $250, including shipping. Just going by the photos that we've seen so far, I think it's worth every penny.

Dark Marble
04-17-2008, 12:01 PM
I can't believe I will be paying that much money of a single star wars vehicle. I am so excited.

bigbarada
04-17-2008, 12:12 PM
Recently I've spent $480 on a MISB vintage A-Wing and $265 on a MISB vintage Imperial Shuttle. So, $200 for THIS Falcon toy is not a big deal.

Blue2th
04-17-2008, 12:12 PM
No way I'd pay that much for a Lego ship. I'll pay it for this Falcon no problem, even if it's hard to get and I have to pay extra for shipping etc. Hopefully it's widely available. Good thing I sold my MIB POTF2 Falcon for 75.00 on eBay before NY Toy Fair. Think I'll put my loose one up here pretty quick. That's at least half way there. Who needs the old one now. I'm exited.

bigbarada
04-17-2008, 12:16 PM
No way I'd pay that much for a Lego ship. I'll pay it for this Falcon no problem, even if it's hard to get and I have to pay extra for shipping etc. Hopefully it's widely available. Good thing I sold my MIB POTF2 Falcon for 75.00 on eBay before NY Toy Fair. Think I'll put my loose one up here pretty quick. That's at least half way there. Who needs the old one now. I'm exited.

I'm thinking this might be the best time in the world to get my hands on a complete vintage Falcon for the very reasons you've stated above. I feel that a lot of collectors are going to be unloading their old ones to make room or raise money, so it will be a good time to get one cheap. I think it would be cool to have both the original 1978 toy and the upcoming BMF-Falcon toy.

stillakid
04-17-2008, 01:15 PM
That giant argument is all very one-note because it chiefly assumes that the value of a toy is recognizability, not feasibility, not play value, not price.
I took every factor into account when considering my statements and I stand by them. Recognizability is a key factor and often does supersede other considerations such as play value and price. An item may indeed have a lot of "play value" but if nobody recognizes it, it might as well not exist. And price? Well, the human factor gets involved which means that logic isn't always part of the purchasing decision.

I find it ironic that you are backhandedly insulting those who don't agree your vision for not being imaginative enough to picture your masterpiece when some of us have already imagined it enough to see it not feasible.
I intentionally insulted no one. I can't control the reactions of others. My concepts are not only tangibly feasible (in the design-sense), but would be financially worth the risk as well due to the inherent "recognizability" as discussed above. Nobody seems to be advocating an expensive Deluxe Swoop Bike for the same reasons as I've mentioned. While it could indeed be "cool," if the only market for an item is the hard-core "collector," the manufacturer will use its failure in the marketplace as a justification to stop making expensive deluxe items altogether.

My "recommendation" is that Hasbro would begin with the most recognizable vehicles/items from the films first and then move to the B and C level items. That statement has nothing to do with the inherent value and playability of any of the other items nor with the opinions of any individuals. It is merely a viewpoint based on looking at the realities of the various considerations that are in play.

The "play value" claim on the Star Destroyer doesn't hold water, you cannot get much play room out of a 3' Star Destroyer because even at that scale there's not much actual internal height, that'd be a max height of 10" including from the shield generators on the con tower to the absolute bottom of the wedge shape. The figures are 3.75" tall, that's just over 2 and a half figures tall, even if you fudge it 25% to make it a chubby ISD, it's still not going to be much internal area (and that ignores the fact that it'll need some semblance of a skeletal frame to keep it from collapsing in on itself, much less make decent play areas for the figures). The con tower opens to reveal ANYTHING? You could get 1 single figure to stand upright in the neck or 2 figures to lay down like in a coffin in the bridge section, but open up to reveal the meditation chamber? At least triple the size of the neck and bridge to get anything usable out of that, that's not a minor fudging. The LEGO one is 2 feet long and this is all it can accomplish with its squat little figures that are less than half the height of a Hasbro figure: http://cache.lego.com/images/shop/prod/6211-0000-xx-13-1.jpg
http://cache.lego.com/images/shop/prod/6211-0000-xx-33-1.jpg

My design is based entirely around and built from the original Destroyer toy from the 1980s. While definitely not perfect, I believe that if Hasbro would merely "cover" their old design with a "movie accurate" exterior, it would make a more marketable than their previous release. OBVIOUSLY there are scale issue and no diorama builder will be happy, but again, it's a frickin' toy. At the size I'm suggesting, it is not only practical as a "flying toy" for a kid to pick up and "fly," it is also a viable playset. And at that size it would be affordable.

Your "logic" has a lot of holes you refuse to accept in your arguments, so to come here and claim ideas like the Sail Barge or AT-AT which are at the very least as justified as anything you've presented here are somehow inferior to yours, that the Falcon should give rise to your specific ideas, that they'd be "the next big seller", that's pretty far-fetched.

There are compromises relative to diorama builders, but no holes. I'm merely stepping back and looking at the large picture in terms of what toys are, what kids and their parents are likely to actually buy, what collector's want, and what the manufacturer is likely willing to really risk.

List of what? List of vehicles they'd buy for the action figure line? I think that group of "most people" would be limited to you and maybe a handful of others. Virtually nobody else seems to think the ISD or Death Star you're suggesting is feasible, and few actually want them to be made by Hasbro even if they were possible.
Where's your list to back up counter claim?

The Death Star fans want something like the Kenner playset, not like the Galoob Double-Takes Death Star. I *highly* doubt the Death Star you're suggesting would sell in the current marketing and manufacturing philosophies at Hasbro, even if we stretch them past the 2 large vehicles we're getting soon.
Guessing what Hasbro will do is pure conjecture, even by me. Who can really tell? I didn't see this Falcon coming as a realistic possibility, so who's to say what they won't do?

As far as these hypothetical "Death Star fans," who are they? You're suggesting that they would prefer a 1970's style playset over something that resembles a full "movie accurate" design? Without an actual 1:1 poll, we'll never really know, but for now, I'll disagree. Of course there are a few collectors/displayers who prefer 100% scaled environments, but Hasbro doesn't do that and shouldn't. I'm advocating viable toys which would attract eyeballs on the shelves and real dollars from wallets.

And to doubt the Falcon over your wild Death Star or ISD ideas seems way way out there, unbelievably fringe.
I doubt the Falcon purely on the current economy, not on anything else. For you to imply anything else isn't a fair assessment of what I actually said.

And the other ideas are certainly not "way out there." :rolleyes: They're not 100% scaled and movie accurate, but they are viable toys that are recognizable by more than collectors, fun for kids, and financially feasible.

The ISD would be boring within regards to the market. I don't find it a particularly boring ship, but I also do not think it would work AT ALL in context to the 3.75" figures. In terms of figure interaction it would basically be a non-action playset with a vehicle shell like that LEGO set I linked to above, we already know playsets are tanking every time they come out and the less action they have, the less appealing they'll be to the market. The AT-TE, the Falcon, the Black Pearl those are vehicles that have some contextual play pattern with the figures, and ACTION play patterns at that, not just "here's a guy sitting in a room" play patterns that the ISD would suffer.
Your opinion. There's a whole lot of sitting in a room staring out windows in the Falcon too.

Which is precisely what I've also suggested with my design concepts....interaction with smaller scale vehicles. The 3 3/4" AT-ATs work well with the Galoob Snowspeeders. The SandCrawler works well with the Micromachines size Jawas. In the same way, the Star Destroyer would work with a smaller scale Tantive IV, smaller TIEs and other ships. And the Death Star would work with those same Galoob sized vehicles (when closed).

You assume I don't think through all of the elements and considerations. But I do. You don't have to agree with my conclusions, but know that I do think it all through. :)

Dark Marble
04-17-2008, 01:40 PM
I'm thinking this might be the best time in the world to get my hands on a complete vintage Falcon for the very reasons you've stated above. I feel that a lot of collectors are going to be unloading their old ones to make room or raise money, so it will be a good time to get one cheap. I think it would be cool to have both the original 1978 toy and the upcoming BMF-Falcon toy.

I am going to keep my original Falcon and give away or donate my other 2 versions. There are some kids I know that I think would really like to have them. But my original was custom painted by an artist out in Texas about 7 years ago to look like the classic dirty Falcon I know.

jedi master sal
04-17-2008, 02:20 PM
I am going to keep my original Falcon and give away or donate my other 2 versions. There are some kids I know that I think would really like to have them. But my original was custom painted by an artist out in Texas about 7 years ago to look like the classic dirty Falcon I know.

Pictures please....lol

dindae
04-17-2008, 04:11 PM
The best news about the KB computers is that it is in the KB computers so it isn't an exclusive. No way KB has the ability to secure that as an exclusive.

I was thinking about the Star Destroyer more. It is definately on the short list of Star Wars iconic ship with the X wing, TIE Fighter, and Falcon. And while space in the hull is a challenge I know think it could be done. Looking at the old toy if you took the to top section off and just left the base you still have the walkway and computer stations and that could be done for the front section of the ship. Then in the back you could put the meditation chamber perhaps using the tower to be what in the old toy was the black handle to raise and lower the chamber top. Plus you could do things to add space like the Queen's Starship and have the side extend or do something like the old GI Joe mobile fort where layers flip out so you could get twice the floor space. This is something I would buy. However I still think it would be risky because it would still be expensive and the scenes that you can play out in the movie are not scenes that I recall playing out as a kid. The Sarlacc Pit however was something I played out hundreds of times. Looking at it that way I would think that put the play scenes a little better than the Queen's Starship as far as kid excitement. I really like that ship but it was apparently a big turkey for most. Maybe if it didn't have electronics it could be cheaper.

Jargo
04-17-2008, 05:33 PM
BORING NOW. leaving thread before the ISD uber fans force me to kill them.

JediTricks
04-17-2008, 08:28 PM
My Blockade Runner was about as small as I could make it, being that there were 2 goals in mind:Hey, how big is your RBR anyway? I can see the 3PO in the exterior picture but can't really get a good idea of the overall length.

Because of the action on board, the Blockade Runner and the Sailbarge would be the next two most obvious ways to go, if that market were opened up.The sailbarge idea most caught my attention because it's not just action INSIDE the ship but also ON it, which I think makes a fairly big difference in how the toy is perceived interacting with other toys in the line (most of which are action figures).

BTW, with Jabba being brought into The Clone Wars Animated, you never know if they won't go with the Sailbarge being produced as well. The cartoon could now support it (see the preview for Clone Wars for Jabba - though you will not see his barge. I'm just saying in the actual episodes, you could...)We can only hope that'll happen.

Why is it that whenever I read these arguments between you and Stillakid I find myself saying 'oh I agree with that... but then again I agree with his counter-argument...hang on he's making a good point again...no no wait thats a fair rebuttal too...wow I agree with him again..' and so on. Its Bjorn borg and John McEnroe...Agassi and Sampras...Federer and Nadal.We're both opinionated jerks. :p

I'd love a star destroyer...but for the interiors I want it would need to be a very vertically dense vehicle...and when combined with the width it'd need to be in order to externally correspond accurately it could wind up being bigger than there has ever been a precedent for. And theres really only so big Hasbro would be willing to go with a toy for this line - the naboo royal starship was probably the cut-off. So thats a serious enough blow to the ISD's prospects for feasibility. Plus all the stuff about whether its action-orientated enough and the kind of audience Hasbro want for it.You're right, that triangular wedge shape just doesn't lend itself to much vertical area. And the Queen's Royal Starship is VERY short inside really, it's 1 level and they cheat to get a second level out of it which isn't all that satisfying, it's a little wedge-shaped too so much of the outer areas don't get used at all. It's also an excellent example of why it wouldn't work out well because, I just remembered, it IS 3 feet long. It's essentially a short hallway and a slide-out cockpit set, and there's not all that much to do in it.

You're not alone, dude.Oh fuff. :p

Yeah, I think I'm good.:rolleyes:KB pricing is all that is, provided this is true. If it is, then Hasbro's answer about exclusivity leading to shushed mouthes goes right out the window.

Even Vader said, "I want that ship."

They should put that in a commercial for the toy.Good call, I guess they couldn't use Vader's line to the bounty hunters "...there will be a substantial reward for the one who finds the Millennium Falcon" but that'd be good too if they could.

Keep in mind that it will actually be $40 at KB.

Next year, that is.Sure it will, in fantasy land. At $150, the wholesale price will probably be well above $40, if by some miracle they have any clearanced next year, I'm picturing more like $80, and that's a big "if" since this will be a low-run item (I'm thinking 7,500-10,000 units, figures are generally 50,000 units while exclusives are often a tenth of that).

I don't really think they'll ever make a toy of the Hindenburg. What could it really do? Fly around and crash. It's not like we ever saw anything exciting happen on the ship.

I could see them making a Titanium of it.That's the best scene though. I figure they'd make one with it burning off all the skin, then do a repaint and resculpt as the "whole" version, then repaint THAT with an orange glow. :p

I took every factor into account when considering my statements and I stand by them. Recognizability is a key factor and often does supersede other considerations such as play value and price. An item may indeed have a lot of "play value" but if nobody recognizes it, it might as well not exist.
My "recommendation" is that Hasbro would begin with the most recognizable vehicles/items from the films first and then move to the B and C level items. That statement has nothing to do with the inherent value and playability of any of the other items nor with the opinions of any individuals. It is merely a viewpoint based on looking at the realities of the various considerations that are in play.I stand by my statement based on this and the rest of your post there, you are focusing so far out there on recognizability that you're missing the actual toyetics of the thing which are far more crucial than simply "I know where that's from", your argument is imbalanced way far into recognizability and entirely misses the actual toy realities.

And I don't see how can think kids and collectors won't remember the ROTJ Sail Barge scene with a package shot that is straight out of the movie - the sail barge is on-screen for that whole battle, 100% of that battle takes place looking at the sail barge from outside or in. It may not have public-consciousness like the TIE Fighter or Falcon, but you put a picture of Luke Skywalker and some jabba's aliens on it and buyers will remember it, moreso than the AT-TE even I'll bet.

My design is based entirely around and built from the original Destroyer toy from the 1980s. While definitely not perfect, I believe that if Hasbro would merely "cover" their old design with a "movie accurate" exterior, it would make a more marketable than their previous release. OBVIOUSLY there are scale issue and no diorama builder will be happy, but again, it's a frickin' toy. At the size I'm suggesting, it is not only practical as a "flying toy" for a kid to pick up and "fly," it is also a viable playset. And at that size it would be affordable.Oh, that's rich! That's fantastic actually, let's take a look at this thing again: http://theswca.com/index.php?action=disp_item&item_id=39648
Hmm, yeah, I can really see where you get a lot of nifty display space out of that AND a realistic-looking Star Destroyer shell. :rolleyes: That thing looks like rump, and appears to actually be TALLER than an accurate Star Destroyer at 3' long (10" tall), even though most of the actual ISD's shape is on the lower half of the wedge shape.

Where's your list to back up counter claim?Read this thread from around page 17 on when you first brought up the ISD, there's plenty of people saying that they don't believe it's feasible to get a good one done in this line, not at or around 3' and under $200, some say they'd want one only if it was really good, others say they wouldn't want them to try at all. The reality is that while you have faith in your ideas, the numbers and precedents say it's not going to work as you expect. Look at that Kenner toy you cited, that thing sucks, you can massage the lines all you want and it's still going to look like crap. And a 3' Star Destroyer would be roughly the size of the Naboo Royal Starship, and that thing has very little interior space really because the triangular wedge design is very limited that way.

As far as these hypothetical "Death Star fans," who are they? You're suggesting that they would prefer a 1970's style playset over something that resembles a full "movie accurate" design? Without an actual 1:1 poll, we'll never really know, but for now, I'll disagree.Again, read this thread from page 17 on, folks are saying they want something more like a tricked out version of the Kenner playset over your sphere idea.

Your opinion. There's a whole lot of sitting in a room staring out windows in the Falcon too. Again, that's a BS comparison. It's not about the amount of dull-time they share, it's about the amount of exciting-time they DON'T share, I gave you a list of 15 action scenes with the Falcon, I didn't even drop in the main character dramatic scenes and story scenes, and your examples of how the Star Destroyer go up against that are extremely pale by comparison.

Which is precisely what I've also suggested with my design concepts....interaction with smaller scale vehicles. The 3 3/4" AT-ATs work well with the Galoob Snowspeeders. The SandCrawler works well with the Micromachines size Jawas. In the same way, the Star Destroyer would work with a smaller scale Tantive IV, smaller TIEs and other ships. And the Death Star would work with those same Galoob sized vehicles (when closed).The AT-AT has figure interaction with Luke destroying it, and it's an "active" vehicle on its own just by its walking and head movements. The Sandcrawler however doesn't work well with the 3.75" figures, it fails there first and foremost and everybody here knows it, so to suggest it's more fun with MM figs is sidestepping the MAIN issue of that toy, its context to the 3.75" figures. You're arguing for a large, expensive vehicle that's more interesting to play with Titanium vehicles than the 3.75" figures it's supposed to be in context with, just like the Sandcrawler, it makes no sense to put it in the 3.75" figure line if it's not gonna work well with those figures.

You assume I don't think through all of the elements and considerations. But I do. You don't have to agree with my conclusions, but know that I do think it all through. :)Tell that to the Death Sphere playset and 10" tall ISD you keep arguing for here.

El Chuxter
04-17-2008, 09:27 PM
Sure it will, in fantasy land. At $150, the wholesale price will probably be well above $40, if by some miracle they have any clearanced next year, I'm picturing more like $80, and that's a big "if" since this will be a low-run item (I'm thinking 7,500-10,000 units, figures are generally 50,000 units while exclusives are often a tenth of that).

I guarantee you, even if it's not available in large numbers, at least 80% of the Falcons sold to KB will be on clearance next year. $40 may be understating it, but no one will buy it for full price and they'll have to clear them out.

It's the way every large item at KB has been. Mark my words.

Devil King
04-17-2008, 10:03 PM
BORING NOW. leaving thread before the ISD uber fans force me to kill them.

Come on, we all love Star Destroyers.

mark2d2
04-18-2008, 02:40 AM
Wow! This Falcon is simply too awesome for words. I mean, it's totally insane that I'm going to buy it. Exactly what I am going to do with it remains to be seen. And yet. . . It is simply too dang cool NOT to grab upon first sight. Love all the detail work they put into the interior. . . The chessboard area along was enough to make me drool. That booth. . . so accurate.

Yes, this is a MUST BUY for me right now.

And I doubt very much I shall ever regret it.

It's simply that cool.

Can't wait to see more pics.

PS --- Hey Jargo! It's been ages, how've you been?

stillakid
04-18-2008, 08:48 AM
Hey, how big is your RBR anyway? I can see the 3PO in the exterior picture but can't really get a good idea of the overall length.

I've had the honor of seeing Tycho's creation firsthand. While not "finished," it certainly is on the right road and definitely within the realm of everything I've suggested for the A level vehicles/playsets (Destroyer and Death Star). I'm not convinced that the Tantive IV would ever have that key recognizability factor that would make it an "A" choice for mass production, but Tycho's effort illustrates how viable the large item can be.

Just now I am recalling the Space 1999 Eagle that my best friend had when we were kids. I don't remember exactly how big it was, but in my memory it seemed huge. While I never got one ( :( ), I appreciated how cool it was and envied his luck. :)

I stand by my statement based on this and the rest of your post there, you are focusing so far out there on recognizability that you're missing the actual toyetics of the thing which are far more crucial than simply "I know where that's from", your argument is imbalanced way far into recognizability and entirely misses the actual toy realities.

I'm not missing anything. There is as much "play" in a Star Destroyer toy as there is in a Sailbarge ... and maybe even more on the SD if we take into account the "display/diorama" possibilities that you see as mere "inaction" elements. Toss in the inherent level of more-recognizability and the SD is a no-contest winner in the grudge match.

I'm not trying to take anything undeserving away from the Barge mind you. But what really happens on it? Luke cuts up a few aliens ... Leia chokes Jabba... R2 fires off a lightsaber...then all abandon ship. Exciting? Sure. Enough more to make it an inherently better toy ... and better selling toy...than a Star Destroyer (or Death Star) would be? Not likely.

And I don't see how can think kids and collectors won't remember the ROTJ Sail Barge scene with a package shot that is straight out of the movie - the sail barge is on-screen for that whole battle, 100% of that battle takes place looking at the sail barge from outside or in. It may not have public-consciousness like the TIE Fighter or Falcon, but you put a picture of Luke Skywalker and some jabba's aliens on it and buyers will remember it,
Well, of course people will maybe remember something if you forcefeed them the original source. But your own argument requires that the consumer study the box to even remember what the thing is. I maintain that such "do you remember it now?" marketing isn't necessary for the iconic elements like the Star Destroyer and the Death Star. It is that instant recognition that evokes that emotional reaction that then is capable of superceding any misgivings over spending an inordinate amount of cash on a toy. Having to rely on "remember this?" marketing allows for too much room for doubt on the part of the consumer which usually results in a "well, that's cool, but I barely remember it so I'm not going to drop $150 bucks on it."

moreso than the AT-TE even I'll bet.
No argument there. I'd wager that hardly anyone outside of the SSG and RebelScum groupies have a clue what the AT-TE is and where it came from. Heck, I even had to look at a picture to know what it was...and I'm not 100% certain what movie it is from. While the thing may have cool electronics, the recognizability factor will definitely influence the final sale numbers (negatively).

Oh, that's rich! That's fantastic actually, let's take a look at this thing again: http://theswca.com/index.php?action=disp_item&item_id=39648
Hmm, yeah, I can really see where you get a lot of nifty display space out of that AND a realistic-looking Star Destroyer shell. :rolleyes: That thing looks like rump, and appears to actually be TALLER than an accurate Star Destroyer at 3' long (10" tall), even though most of the actual ISD's shape is on the lower half of the wedge shape.
I know exactly what it looks like because I actually have one. And it does work despite your confusing campaign to keep a viable exciting toy from coming to fruition. I'm not exactly sure why you are so motivated to attempt to discredit a perfectly marketable Star Wars toy. :confused: Did you get robbed by a DS or SD or something? :confused:

Read this thread from around page 17 on when you first brought up the ISD, there's plenty of people saying that they don't believe it's feasible to get a good one done in this line, not at or around 3' and under $200, some say they'd want one only if it was really good, others say they wouldn't want them to try at all. The reality is that while you have faith in your ideas, the numbers and precedents say it's not going to work as you expect. Look at that Kenner toy you cited, that thing sucks, you can massage the lines all you want and it's still going to look like crap. And a 3' Star Destroyer would be roughly the size of the Naboo Royal Starship, and that thing has very little interior space really because the triangular wedge design is very limited that way.

Again, read this thread from page 17 on, folks are saying they want something more like a tricked out version of the Kenner playset over your sphere idea.
Collectors say those things, of course. But what about the kids and the adults who buy the stuff for the kids? Collectors will buy just about anything with the word "Star Wars" slapped on it. But my arguments are based on the reality that non-collectors are motivated by nostalgia and recognizability of an item. You'll never get a non-collector to drop over $100 smackaroos on a toy they don't "know." It just won't happen. BUT when they see that "thing" they remember (without a prompt) from their childhood and want to share it with their own kid, then they'll pull out the credit card without a second thought and take it home. The items from Star Wars that fall into that category are The Falcon, the Death Star, the Star Destroyer and just about any Darth Vader item. Just about anything else, I'd wager that there'd be a moment or two of hesitation (by most non-collectors) as they tried to recall where they saw "it" before.

Again, that's a BS comparison. It's not about the amount of dull-time they share, it's about the amount of exciting-time they DON'T share, I gave you a list of 15 action scenes with the Falcon, I didn't even drop in the main character dramatic scenes and story scenes, and your examples of how the Star Destroyer go up against that are extremely pale by comparison.
Sure, the Falcon has a lot going on. I didn't dispute that the Falcon should be made. But you're trying to compare the Star Destroyer and the Death Star with the Sail Barge and claiming the Barge would sell more just because it supposedly had more "action" on it than the other two. I don't agree for the many reasons I've already stated.

The AT-AT has figure interaction with Luke destroying it, and it's an "active" vehicle on its own just by its walking and head movements. The Sandcrawler however doesn't work well with the 3.75" figures, it fails there first and foremost and everybody here knows it, so to suggest it's more fun with MM figs is sidestepping the MAIN issue of that toy, its context to the 3.75" figures. You're arguing for a large, expensive vehicle that's more interesting to play with Titanium vehicles than the 3.75" figures it's supposed to be in context with, just like the Sandcrawler, it makes no sense to put it in the 3.75" figure line if it's not gonna work well with those figures.
That's NOT what my point in saying that was. Geez, talk about taking something out of context. I said that these toys ALSO work with the other scaled toys because you'd never get a 1:1 scaled vehicle.

The argument I am making is that my ideas 1) are more marketable because of the inherent recognizability factor, 2) would be more exciting to play with (for kids) because they actually look like the things from the movies, and 3) that in addition to the 3 3/4" line, they ALSO are scaled to have playability with the other scaled items. Collectors are interested in dust-collecting diorama environments, but Hasbro makes and sells toys. I'm not saying that they shouldn't make the Barge at some point, but merely pointing out that it would need to wait its rightful turn in line behind the more viable choices if we wanted to see the effort toward large vehicles and playsets continue.

Tycho
04-18-2008, 10:10 AM
I only caught 1 question being directed at me and the arguments in this thread have gotten way too long, so I started skimming them.

But to answer: My blockade runner is 5 1/2 feet long.

It's the smallest I could make it nd accomplish everything I wanted in a toy of this ship.

jedimastergeorge06
04-20-2008, 05:00 PM
Hi does any one know when the new falcon is supose to come out to the stores and is it going to be an exclusive like the imperial shuttle or is it going to be every where?

bigbarada
04-20-2008, 05:10 PM
Hi does any one know when the new falcon is supose to come out to the stores and is it going to be an exclusive like the imperial shuttle or is it going to be every where?

So far it looks like it's supposed to be out on 7/26 and, since it's been showing up in KayBee computers, it's highly unlikely that something this big and cool is going to be a KayBee exclusive.

Jedi_Kal-El
04-20-2008, 05:30 PM
So far it looks like it's supposed to be out on 7/26 and, since it's been showing up in KayBee computers, it's highly unlikely that something this big and cool is going to be a KayBee exclusive.

It's also in the TRU computers so I think it's safe to say it isn't an exclusive.

Edit: Did you put Kaybee up there twice and mean to put a different store?

bigbarada
04-20-2008, 05:55 PM
It's also in the TRU computers so I think it's safe to say it isn't an exclusive.

Edit: Did you put Kaybee up there twice and mean to put a different store?

It made perfect sense to me. My comment was based on something JT said earlier (possibly in another thread) that Hasbro wouldn't waste a vehicle of this level of coolness on a retailer like KayBee. If it was going to be an exclusive, then it would most likely go to a store like TRU, Wal-Mart or Target. In other words a retailer with a larger national footprint to make the toy as widely available as possible.

Obviously that's not the case, since Hasbro seems to be banking on this being the "must own" toy of 2008. I really hope that pays off for them.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-20-2008, 06:17 PM
The report on RS about the new stuff in the TRU computer says that it's gonna be $159.99 there. So, at least a little better than KayBee.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-25-2008, 08:13 PM
This picture (http://www.rebelscum.com/toys2008/abrin_f_035.jpg) is from the Brazilian Toy Fair. Why does the bottom look so odd? The scale seems off. Whatever, I still loves it.

TheRealDubya
04-25-2008, 08:19 PM
Hey credit card debt, here I come!

JabbaJohn, they probably had to incorporate as much space into the floor as possible so that our Little Plastic Men could stand up with the lid on, hence the big "boxes" underneath.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-25-2008, 08:32 PM
Hey credit card debt, here I come!

JabbaJohn, they probably had to incorporate as much space into the floor as possible so that our Little Plastic Men could stand up with the lid on, hence the big "boxes" underneath.
That's what I figured, but it looks crappy from that angle, considering how much they put into it otherwise.

mark2d2
04-25-2008, 10:01 PM
That's what I figured, but it looks crappy from that angle, considering how much they put into it otherwise.

Don't forget that not only do the figs have to be able to stand, but there needs to be space underneath their feet for the secret compartments, too.

I think it looks fine, personally. I'd rather rather the exterior a bit off to make the interior better, you know?

TheDarthVader
04-25-2008, 11:45 PM
Don't forget that not only do the figs have to be able to stand, but there needs to be space underneath their feet for the secret compartments, too.

I think it looks fine, personally. I'd rather rather the exterior a bit off to make the interior better, you know?

I agree with the Mandroid. :D

Tycho
04-26-2008, 11:52 PM
So the figures can't stand underneathe the ship again?

And there's that much built under there, but no anti-personelle cannon (as seen in Echo Base during Empire Strikes Back)?

Jedi_Kal-El
04-27-2008, 12:06 AM
I thought that cannon was suppose to be on this version, Tycho. At least by what I read of it anyway, could be wrong though.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-27-2008, 12:25 AM
So the figures can't stand underneathe the ship again?

And there's that much built under there, but no anti-personelle cannon (as seen in Echo Base during Empire Strikes Back)?
Ite lookse likee ite, Tychoe.

;)

Jargo
04-28-2008, 03:56 PM
don't forget this is only the ANH release. there's plenty of time for a modified version for ESB with the drop down gun or at least a hole drilled into the underside to plug a gun into.

Don't get me wrong, i'm disappointed it's not five feet long myself. Oh how i would have loved the main hold to open onto a corridor that ran around the perimeter of the ship. To have the ante room where Han and leia smooched. the crew quarters at the rear of the ship. the forward cargo holds. the landovator to the hull exterior. pneumatic landing gear, recoiling quad laser cannons, fully illuminated interior with little blinky lights in the cockpit. I mean for 150 they could have put all that in......

but alas, it's just a lump of plastic toy and we live in an age of economic recession and dwindling resources and so it has to be a mere two and a half feet long and only have part of the interior and basic electronics and meet the demands of the market it's made for.

oh how cruel this world...

Jedi_Kal-El
04-28-2008, 06:26 PM
don't forget this is only the ANH release. there's plenty of time for a modified version for ESB with the drop down gun or at least a hole drilled into the underside to plug a gun into.

Don't get me wrong, i'm disappointed it's not five feet long myself. Oh how i would have loved the main hold to open onto a corridor that ran around the perimeter of the ship. To have the ante room where Han and leia smooched. the crew quarters at the rear of the ship. the forward cargo holds. the landovator to the hull exterior. pneumatic landing gear, recoiling quad laser cannons, fully illuminated interior with little blinky lights in the cockpit. I mean for 150 they could have put all that in......

but alas, it's just a lump of plastic toy and we live in an age of economic recession and dwindling resources and so it has to be a mere two and a half feet long and only have part of the interior and basic electronics and meet the demands of the market it's made for.

oh how cruel this world...

How cruel indeed my friend. Alas though, this may be the best we ever get. From Hasbro anyway.

Gothiczartan
05-02-2008, 01:03 AM
http://www.readersadvice.com/museum/mfextra.html

take a look what this guy has above!

I remember seeing this as a display at toys r us, it look like this can fit for any 12" star wars figures line. I sure doubt they would of make this for the 12" figures of star wars and it would of be more expensive.

I rather like the upcoming new BMF instead.

if it does not have a elevator and open hatch where lando uses to save luke in ESB, this BMF will work.

bigbarada
05-02-2008, 01:10 AM
http://www.readersadvice.com/museum/mfextra.html

take a look what this guy has above!

I remember seeing this as a display at toys r us, it look like this can fit for any 12" star wars figures line. I sure doubt they would of make this for the 12" figures of star wars and it would of be more expensive.

I rather like the upcoming new BMF instead.

if it does not have a elevator and open hatch where lando uses to save luke in ESB, this BMF will work.

I believe that display piece is actually correctly scaled to the action figures. If it isn't then it's really close to what we would expect to see from a "full-size" 3 3/4" scale Falcon.

JediTricks
05-02-2008, 05:20 AM
Yeah, this thing is hollow inside though, apart from some simple electronics. It's an upscaled version of the classic Kenner one, exclusive decor for TRU stores. The body is vacuformed, I believe, so it's a little more simplistic than it looks in those small pics.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-09-2008, 10:26 PM
According to Yakface's Q&A, the Falcon does indeed have a (non-firing) cannon on the underside. Sweet!