PDA

View Full Version : Movies so bad it ruined the series/franchise for you.

Droid
04-09-2008, 11:50 AM
Over in an Indiana Jones thread, we started debating whether or not one bad film in a series can taint your feelings of the series or the original films you previously enjoyed. For me there have been some sequels or prequels so bad that I wanted to remove them from my memory so I wouldn't think of them when watching the original films I enjoyed. For me some of those films include:

1. Scream 2
2. The Godfather Part III
3. The Neverending Story Part II
4. National Lampoon's Vegas Vacation
5. Superman III and Superman IV
6. Batman Returns
7. Alien Resurrection
8. Jason Takes Manhattan and Jason Goes to Hell
9. Halloween 6: The Curse of Michael Myers
10. Major League 2
11. Star Trek: Nemesis
12. Beneath the Plant of the Apes, Escape from the Planet of the Apes
13. Rocky V
14. The Next Karate Kid
15. The Exorcist Part II
16. Ghostbusters 2
17. Grelmins 2: The New Batch
18. Star Trek V
19. Back to the Future Part 2
20. The Lost World (Jurassic Park 2)
21. Highlander 2

Thankfully it has been so long since I have seen some of these movies my memories have them have faded and the sting isn't so bad.

I have major problems with the Star Wars prequels, but I have a hard time saying I wish they hadn't been made. There are parts of each movie I thought were incredibly well done. I just wish they had been better.

General_Grievous
04-09-2008, 05:41 PM
6. Batman Returns
This is on your list, and "Batman and Robin" isn't?!

El Chuxter
04-09-2008, 06:34 PM
I wouldn't say they ruined the series for me, since I can pretend they never happened, but I'd add Short Circuit 2, Jurassic Park ///, X-Men 3, Spider-Man 3, and I'm sure more.

I'd disagree with Batman Returns, Rocky V, Ghostbusters 2 (though it completely invalidated the entire Real Ghostbusters cartoon), BTTF 2, and The Lost World. And I've not seen all the Apes or Godfather series, so I'm not 100% ready to jump on board with those two.

2-1B
04-09-2008, 07:11 PM
Friday the 13th part 8 and Rocky 5 were both awesome. Godfather 3 was okay.

No sequel has ever ruined the previous movies. What a ridiculous concept. :thumbsup:

General_Grievous
04-09-2008, 07:30 PM
I'm just glad the "Rocky" series got a proper ending with "Rocky Balboa" instead of just stopping at "Rocky V". Admit it, Tommy Gunn is one of the worst antagonists (and I say that because he's not even worthy enough to be called a villain) ever.

2-1B
04-09-2008, 07:42 PM
Hells yeah dude, Rocky 6 was awesome !!!! I'm glad it didn't end with Rocky 5 but that's not because I don't like the movie. It's a great setup for Rocky 6. ;)

Thinking more about Friday the 13th part 5, I still like that movie alot. They should have had more take place in NYC though instead of all the boat stuff. Oh, and the child-version of Jason should have been mutated and stuff. Good movie overall, though. :thumbsup:

Droid
04-09-2008, 08:01 PM
This is on your list, and "Batman and Robin" isn't?!

I boycotted Batman and Forever and Batman and Robin because Keaton wasn't playing Batman. To this day I have not seen either film.

JimJamBonds
04-09-2008, 08:59 PM
The Matrix, I just don't believe Keanu is supposed to save the world/mankind.

El Chuxter
04-09-2008, 09:53 PM
I boycotted Batman and Forever and Batman and Robin because Keaton wasn't playing Batman. To this day I have not seen either film.

You are a wise, wise man indeed.

Cae, I've still not seen Rocky Balboa because the idea of him somehow "getting better" after #5 seems ludicrous. (I've been waiting for HBO, so I can see it for free.) I actually liked Rocky 5, and thought it was a great ending for the series. Can you tell me how he overcomes Parkinson's to be a contender again? 'Cause I don't see Michael J Fox appearing in any Spin City reunion movies anytime soon, so I'm assuming it's a pretty serious and permanent condition.

JimJamBonds
04-09-2008, 09:58 PM
He didn't become a contender again, he fought one fight that is all. They mention the fact he is older and he has taken quite a beating over the years. Nothing was said about Parkinson's though.

jjreason
04-09-2008, 10:22 PM
I saw Starship Troopers in the theatre with friends, and thought it was pretty entertaining - in a horribly awful way. The 2nd one, however, was pure poo.

2-1B
04-09-2008, 11:21 PM
For God's sake Chux, just watch the damn thing. You can't spare a few bucks to rent it ???

El Chuxter
04-09-2008, 11:56 PM
I can't spare a few bucks to rent it when I have a toddler who doesn't necessarily allow me to watch movies in the time frame that I rent them for. :)

Blue2th
04-10-2008, 12:06 AM
After I saw Starship Troopers, it was the book that ruined it for me.
Nothing like the movie.
Too preachy and hardly any action.

mabudonicus
04-10-2008, 10:31 AM
How'd Robocops 2 and 3 escaped the firing squad here??

Those movies sucked rocks
:beard: Iso&Baws

Robocop 2 was hilariously bad, 3 is just lousy

Devo
04-10-2008, 12:33 PM
Well if the point of this thread is to ask what, if any, films from franchises have actually turned me off those franchises altogether, even so far as to make me dislike films that I formerly liked then I would have to say none.

There have been many crap sequels - Alien Resurrection, Terminator 3 and Die Hard 4 to name a few - but I still enjoy the previous films in the franchises.

Deoxyribonucleic
04-10-2008, 01:19 PM
Well if the point of this thread is to ask what, if any, films from franchises have actually turned me off those franchises altogether, even so far as to make me dislike films that I formerly liked then I would have to say none.

There have been many crap sequels - Alien Resurrection, Terminator 3 and Die Hard 4 to name a few - but I still enjoy the previous films in the franchises.

WHAT? Terminator 3, oh come on, it was worth it just to see one of the hottest women on the planet on big screen, and nekked too! :lipsrsealed:

Blue2th
04-10-2008, 07:28 PM
I really liked Terminator 3, and I actually liked Robocop 2. Kinda campy with cool villians. A kid turning into a ruthless drug dealer kingpin. The drug addict villian turned robot. Lots of sick/funny characters.
Robocop 3 sucked big time though.

JetsAndHeels
04-10-2008, 07:54 PM
5. Superman III and Superman IV

At least Superman III yielded some jokes in "Office Space" and had Richard Pryor....but Superman IV has to be the biggest pile of crap ever made, in the history of the universe.

That's right, I said it.

Kidhuman
04-10-2008, 11:15 PM
The Matrix, I just don't believe Keanu is supposed to save the world/mankind.

I agree, I hated it and never watched 2 or 3. One was horrible

I dont think sequels can ruin what was once previously a good movie. They can be overkill to a good line, but it cant make you hate the ones before it

Devo
04-13-2008, 12:02 PM
WHAT? Terminator 3, oh come on, it was worth it just to see one of the hottest women on the planet on big screen, and nekked too! :lipsrsealed:

Well she played her role just fine. But she wasn't nearly naked enough to justify the rest of the film being crap.

2-1B
04-13-2008, 12:16 PM
I can't spare a few bucks to rent it when I have a toddler who doesn't necessarily allow me to watch movies in the time frame that I rent them for. :)

Well...then rent it during one of your comic book reading timeouts. lol

How'd Robocops 2 and 3 escaped the firing squad here??

Those movies sucked rocks
:beard: Iso&Baws

Robocop 2 was hilariously bad, 3 is just lousy

What ? RoboDeuce 2 was directed by the same guy who did Empire Strikes Back and we all know he has a track record for making sequels better than the original. ;)

:thumbsup: :deuce: :RoboCop Smiley Elsewhere: :Irvin Kershner Gave 2-1B His Big Break Into Show Business: :beard:

I agree, I hated it and never watched 2 or 3. One was horrible

I found myself really enjoying The Matrix and I didn't think I would like it that much...then I saw part 2 in the theater and it was awful. I didn't bother with 3 and still haven't seen it. lol

Neuroleptic
04-13-2008, 12:35 PM
I know I'm going to get horribly mocked for this but . . . I happened to like Terminator 3 and the Matrix series of movies.

However, I agree with most of the other movies. Especialy the third and fourth Bat Man movies. They were amongst the worst films ever created.

LusiferSam
04-13-2008, 02:14 PM
Batman Forever
Spider-Man 3
X-Men: The Last Stand
The Matrix Reloaded (you've have to pay me to see the third one)
Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome (an ok movie, but silly)
Star Trek: The Motion Picture
The Lost World
Beneath the Plant of the Apes
Austin Powers in Goldmember
Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls

Deoxyribonucleic
04-13-2008, 02:20 PM
gack, double post, oh no, I've post padded :eek:

Deoxyribonucleic
04-13-2008, 02:21 PM
I know I'm going to get horribly mocked for this but . . . I happened to like Terminator 3 and the Matrix series of movies.

However, I agree with most of the other movies. Especialy the third and fourth Bat Man movies. They were amongst the worst films ever created.

I fookin' LOVE Terminator 3 so we'll get mocked together. Besides, who the hell cares what others think about the movies we like. You can all :kiss: my :bored:

:love:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-13-2008, 03:10 PM
I hated the second Pirates of the Caribbean movie and still haven't seen the third (but I heard it was better than #2). I've been unable to watch the first one since then because it would remind me too much of all the stupid s*** from the second one.

JediTricks
04-13-2008, 03:52 PM
SW Prequels - absolutely they affect my viewing of the OT, and it's a very negative way.

Matrix 2 & 3 - from the limitless possibilities of the first one's ending comes a limited and sloppy response. I saw 2 at the theater and never bothered watching 3 until a while after it came out on video.

Godfather 3 - I remember standing in a long line for that around Xmas, then the movie was more boring than the line! This is the end of Michael Corleone? Bleh.

Batman Returns through Batman & Robin - self-indulgent and poorly realized, I didn't care for this film and it sent the series down a bad path. It's weird how so many Batman fans like this film though. By itself it didn't harm my viewing of '89 Batman too much, but with the rest of the series sucking, and then Batman Begins being so much better, it all mixed together.

Alien 3 - I actually took a date to this movie, we were bored out of our minds. Resurrection was pretty flat, but it doesn't harm my opinion of the first, it's just a cheap jump forward.

Star Trek Generations, Insurrection & Nemesis - if it weren't for First Contact, I wouldn't even be a Trek movie fan anymore. It's hard to watch TNG or even DS9 without knowing what junk they get themselves into.

Ghostbusters 2 - way to phone it in guys! A real mess of a film and a blah statement about how the original would continue.

Speed 2 - I haven't actually tried to watch the first since then, the "sequel" was so bad though that even the title bums me out a little.

Austin Powers in Goldmember - absolutely ruined this series for me. I enjoyed the second one for what it was even though it is far shallower than the first, but the 3rd one highlighted everything that didn't work on the first and second.

I actually thought Major League II wasn't too bad, it was pale in comparison to the original but it wasn't actively bad in my book.

Robocop 2 wasn't that great but it was alright. Robocop 3 was a real turkey, but it doesn't harm my opinion of the original.

The Mummy 2 was a jumbled, kiddified mess. I enjoyed the first but haven't been back to it since, and now I learn there's a 3rd one coming.

X-men 3 I dunno if it's hurt my opinion of that series, I haven't gone back to it yet, but at the same time, 3 is so poor that it doesn't even feel like it's part of the same series to me, just a bad side-trip.

I'm grateful Airplane II and Caddyshack II didn't ruin their originals, both of those sequels are just clearly not up to the task, pretenders to the throne they are.

I found myself really enjoying The Matrix and I didn't think I would like it that much...then I saw part 2 in the theater and it was awful. I didn't bother with 3 and still haven't seen it. lolI did the same thing until recently, part 3 is a little better than part 2 but the way everything wraps up is a major annoyance.

Kidhuman
04-13-2008, 07:12 PM
gack, double post, oh no, I've post padded :eek:

Its a used one, get maintenance to clean it up please.

Mad Slanted Powers
04-13-2008, 08:01 PM
From Droid's list in Droids original post:

1. Scream 2 - I've never seen any of the Scream films.
2. The Godfather Part III - I've never seen any of the Godfather films.
3. The Neverending Story Part II - Never saw any of these either.
4. National Lampoon's Vegas Vacation - I've only seen the original and the Christmas one. Can't recall if I saw the European one.
5. Superman III and Superman IV - I saw Superman III. I kind of liked it. A bit silly, but I enjoyed it except for the lame video game sounds they used near the end. Atari 2600 Pac-Man I think.
6. Batman Returns - Haven't seen any Batman movies either. We did start to watch the first one while at a pre-season cross country camp one year in college, but I can't recall if I saw the whole thing. We started it kind of late and everyone else went to sleep so it ended up being just me watching it, so I eventually turned it off and don't remember if I finished watching the next day.
7. Alien Resurrection - I think I saw the first movie years after it's original release, but no others.
8. Jason Takes Manhattan and Jason Goes to Hell - Never saw any of these.
9. Halloween 6: The Curse of Michael Myers - I know I saw the first one, and maybe the second one, but I don't think I've seen any of the others.
10. Major League 2 - The first one was great, but didn't see this one.
11. Star Trek: Nemesis - I can't say this ruined the series as I barely remember much about any of the ones after First Contact. I enjoyed the last two, but they just seemed like nothing more than an average episode of the show.
12. Beneath the Plant of the Apes, Escape from the Planet of the Apes - I actually like the whole series, but of course none of them can touch the original. Wasn't Ricardo Montalban in Escape? I think the first time I saw it on TV when I was young it didn't interest me because it wasn't like the first two. I wanted Planet of the Apes, not Planet of the Humans that would later become the Planet of the Apes.
13. Rocky V - I didn't see this one until some time afterwards, and I didn't think it was all that great. I watched all five for free on Comcast On Demand before Rocky Balboa came out, and I liked it a lot better that time. One problem though is the continuity with the age of the kid. I still would like to see Rocky Balboa. I thought of going to see it in the theater but didn't get around to it, and I rarely rent movies.
14. The Next Karate Kid - I saw the first two but didn't see this one. The local paper made a big deal about it at the time because this was Hilary Swank's big break and she had gone to high school here.
15. The Exorcist Part II - I don't think I've seen any in this series either.
16. Ghostbusters 2 - Loved the first one, didn't see this one.
17. Grelmins 2: The New Batch - Saw the first one, but not really into this sort of thing and didn't see the second. I think I saw the first one on video with a group of people, otherwise I probably wouldn't have even seen that one. I still sometimes use the phrase "Bright light! Bright light!" though.
18. Star Trek V - I had missed out on III and IV, so this was the first Star Trek movie I had seen in a while. I enjoyed it, but I guess if the writers of the Star Trek Chronology suggest that the events depicted in it may be apocryphal, then perhaps it has some problems.
19. Back to the Future Part 2 - I don't remember much about 2 and 3. It was probably kind of lame to end the movie with an ad for the next one. I think that was what happened. It's been so long.
20. The Lost World (Jurassic Park 2) - I liked all three of these movies.
21. Highlander 2 - I saw the first one on video. I seem to recall it was good. I saw bits of the TV series but don't think I watched a full episode. "There can be only one!"

Here's one I'll add, but I think for most people the series was ruined with the first one. I liked the first Tomb Raider movie, though I kind of wish it had been done a bit differently and stuck to the established backstory. Cradle of Life kind of bored me I think. I didn't hate it, but I was hoping it would capture more of the feel of the video games. I loved the theme music to the original game, and the vocal chants and feeling of awe when you walked into some of the places. I didn't really get that from the movies.

Droid
04-13-2008, 08:54 PM
I forgot Austin Powers: The Spy who Shagged Me. I hated it so much I never saw Goldmember.

JediTricks, you didn't mention Highlander 2. I think it may be the worst sequel ever made!

Also, JediTricks, your list made me remember how bad Star Trek: Generations was. After a fitting ending for the original crew in Star Trek VI, what a terrible thing to do to James Kirk!

Lord Malakite
04-14-2008, 03:46 AM
4. National Lampoon's Vegas Vacation

Well be happy about one thing, it isn't the worst of the Vacation movies. National Lampoon's Vegas Vacation was a masterpiece compared to the horror that was National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation 2: Cousin Eddie's Island Adventure. Not only is it by far the worst movie in the Vacation franchise, its title also goes out of its way to specifically tarnish what could be argued as the being best movie of the Vacation franchise.

plasticfetish
04-14-2008, 05:49 AM
You can all :kiss: my :bored:That wins for funniest thing I've read here in a while. :)

JediTricks
04-14-2008, 05:09 PM
JediTricks, you didn't mention Highlander 2. I think it may be the worst sequel ever made!I didn't mention it because I never thought it was ruining the series, the first film is cute but small, the second thinks big but delivers poorly. Highlander 2 feels like a "what if this happens" story rather than a must-be, it doesn't affect me, I even bought it at SDCC last year because it was uber-cheap.

Also, JediTricks, your list made me remember how bad Star Trek: Generations was. After a fitting ending for the original crew in Star Trek VI, what a terrible thing to do to James Kirk!Yeah, a shameful ending for Kirk and the original crew, a terrible script, and a bad way to get the TNG crew into movies - mixing and matching costumes in the middle of the movie for no reason, blowing up the Enterprise from some wimpy BOP, hmm, I just could go on and on. Surprisingly for me though, Trek endures despite this film, I see 6 as the final film for them and thanks to Shatner's books and the return of Spock in ST3, I don't really need to accept much of what happened in Generations as "final".

Spider-Man 3 may end up ruining that franchise for me, but so far in the short run it hasn't kept me from feeling less about the first 2.

tagmac
04-15-2008, 12:41 AM
Scary Movie 3

The first one was a classic, the second one not as good, but still pretty funny. Once the Wayans brothers were out, what came forth was a ridiculous group of sequels and pseudo-sequels like Superhero Movie, Date movie, etc.

Blue2th
04-15-2008, 01:20 AM
"Pirates of the Carribean At Worlds End" was pretty much a disappointment for me.
Nothing compared to the first two. With all the crappy acting it's like they wanted the series to end and were tired of it.

Devo
04-15-2008, 09:41 PM
I could hardly see the appeal of the POTC films anyway. The first one was OK but too long, the second was not quite as OK as the first one and was likewise too long and I hear the third one is pretty crap altogether.

UKWildcat
04-16-2008, 12:54 AM
Dumb and Dumberer: When Harry Met Lloyd was a pretty craptacular prequel to the awesomeness that is Dumb and Dumber... but it still did not ruin it for me.

OC47150
05-06-2008, 08:47 PM
The Highlander movies, particularly #1 and 2, are my guilty pleasures. I remember staying up late on a Saturday night and watching #1. The renegade version of #2 is worth checking out. It's a different movie and cuts all that silly 'we're from another planet' crap out.

I'm also a huge POTA fans. The original and Beneath need to be viewed together. It's a great double-feature. Escape is my least favorite of the five.

bigbarada
05-06-2008, 10:44 PM
Beneath the Planet of the Apes was completely perplexing to me. Why cast a Charlton Heston look alike (Brent) when Charlton Heston is actually in the movie?

Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection pretty much killed any interest I ever had in the Alien series. Normally a sequel shouldn't hurt your impression of a previous film, but Alien 3 does make Aliens seems completely pointless. Why do I care that Ripley risks her life to save Newt from the mother Alien if I know that they're going to just kill the little girl off at the start of the next movie? Alien 3 basically made Aliens a gigantic waste of time.

Sure I can disregard Alien 3 from Aliens "canon" but I can't purge the memory of watching it from my brain, thus every subsequent viewing of Aliens has become tainted by memories of Alien 3.

BanthaPoodoo
05-29-2008, 03:50 PM
Indiana Jones & The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull

nuff said.

bigbarada
05-29-2008, 04:25 PM
Indiana Jones & The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull

nuff said.

Although it didn't necessarily ruin the franchise for me, it sure gave it one ugly black-eye.

2-1B
05-29-2008, 06:53 PM
Empire Strikes Back. It dwarfs the original movie and makes it seem inferior.

JediTricks
05-30-2008, 02:34 AM
Indy 4 didn't ruin the Indy franchise for me, but I'd say it makes it impossible for me to enjoy Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom anymore, as that film is no longer an anomaly, it's the norm and Last Crusade being good is the anomaly.

plasticfetish
05-30-2008, 04:08 AM
Why do I care that Ripley risks her life to save Newt from the mother Alien if I know that they're going to just kill the little girl off at the start of the next movie?Time travel? Did you go into the future and see Alien 3 before Aliens or something? ;)

I dunno... I have no problem looking at those films in sequence, and just pretending that I don't know what happens next. Enjoying them for what they are. (For the record, I like Alien Resurrection.)

If anything, it was the last AVP film that ruined Alien and Predator for me. What a chunk of cr*p that thing was. AVP1 wasn't exactly a work of art, but AVPR seemed more like one of those knock-off films than something a major studio would (should) put out.

bigbarada
05-30-2008, 02:54 PM
Time travel? Did you go into the future and see Alien 3 before Aliens or something? ;)

That's really not my point. After seeing Alien 3, I can't watch Aliens anymore without feeling that the entire sequence where Ripley goes off to save Newt is just pointless. Aliens used to be one of my favorite films as a kids, but I can't enjoy the film as much anymore thanks to Alien 3.

It'd be similar to killing off Han Solo in between ESB and ROTJ. All that effort to rescue him on Bespin would just become a waste of screen time.

Newt is no Han Solo of course, but a comparable amount of the movies' plots were dedicated to rescuing both of them and would be rendered pointless by the later films. Leaving the audience feeling manipulated and ripped off.

El Chuxter
05-30-2008, 02:57 PM
I just ignore Alien 3 altogether, and imagine they returned to Earth and lived happily ever after.

However, they still should've stuck with the original script idea, which was published by Dark Horse as (I think) Newt's Tale. (The crazy thing is, there were several Aliens comics published between Aliens and Alien 3, and they all featured an adult Newt! When Alien 3 came out, they basically stopped telling stories about her and started the entire "each miniseries is a totally new story" thing.)