PDA

View Full Version : This is the end? (Does Hasbro know something they're not telling?)

El Chuxter
04-10-2008, 10:05 AM
I'm not trying to be an alarmist, but look at the facts.

For years, Hasbro has refused to make an AT-TE, and said one at proper scale is very unlikely. They claim large vehicles don't sell well. They didn't even make one as a movie tie-in in 2002 or 2005.

This summer, we're getting a huge $100+ AT-TE to coincide with a cartoon.

They've also refused to make a new Millennium Falcon. They even re-released the old one several times. Again, the large vehicle argument.

Pics have just surfaced of a monstrous, likely $150+ Millennium Falcon. As the cockpit looks to hold four figures comfortably, we're looking at something bigger than the Naboo Starship from 1999.

Yarna and Wilrow Hood were "bottom of the barrel" for years, considered (along with a Wokling) some of the most unlikely figures to be made.

They're both scheduled to be released within a year. So's the Wokling.

Since the initial SOTE line, people have asked for more EU. Hasbro has only occasionally, grudgingly produced anything (usually one or two figures out of context).

Roughly 3/4 of the 2008 line is EU. Most of this is very recent EU. As in "within the last year or two."

So, are they trying to pull out all the stops before someone in corporate decides the line isn't profitable and drops the hammer? Or are they being proactive, and anticipating increased collector interest vs kid interest in the coming years?

Based on their utter destruction of the once mega-successful Marvel Legends line within about a year of taking over the license, the skyrocketing costs all around (for us and them), their insistence that things like Unleashed don't sell despite pretty overwhelming evidence otherwise, etc, I'm thinking the Star Wars line has two more years, tops.

Less if the massive AT-TE's and Falcons don't sell. (And, sorry, I'm not buying them.)

mtriv73
04-10-2008, 10:32 AM
The thing is, it IS profitable for them. I think they're just trying to squeeze every penny they can out of collectors and kids (which, by the way, I'm more than happy to give them.) If they don't listen to the consumers and throw us a bone once in a while (or the whole skeleton all at once) then we have no reason to keep buying their products. If they were still just rereleasing Darth vader in different shades of black in every wave then most of us would have quit a long time ago. Instead, they're giving us our wish list and then we'll come up with another collective wish list that they'll fill later on.

Devo
04-10-2008, 10:39 AM
Well if it did die and I don't agree that it will, not with Star Wars going to TV, it'd kind of be a relief. Its the only way I'd ever stop buying toys and then I could save all or most of my money towards flying the nest maybe. I'm 25 and I'm nowhere near leaving mummy and daddy.

jedi master sal
04-10-2008, 11:19 AM
Well if it did die and I don't agree that it will, not with Star Wars going to TV, it'd kind of be a relief. Its the only way I'd ever stop buying toys and then I could save all or most of my money towards flying the nest maybe. I'm 25 and I'm nowhere near leaving mummy and daddy.

LOL!

While I don't live with my mom, I will agree that by ending the line it will be a benefit to we collectors in that we will be forced to have money in our pockets...(irony there). At the least we would know the line had ended and can finally go back and fill in any holes or extras we wanted but didn't get.

While I have cut my budget in half this year and will do the same again next year, I won't completely write off SW collecting while there are more toys being made.

bigbarada
04-10-2008, 11:33 AM

I bet mummy and daddy are hoping that it dies.:p

;) (I moved back in with my parents after I got out of the Army and lived there for 4 years while I went to college, so I was kind of in the same boat as you for a while.)

Anyways, about the topic at hand, I think this sudden and intense focus on collectors could be a sign that kid interest in Star Wars toys has dropped to an all-time low. They're hoping to revive that with the animated style CW figures; but maybe we as collectors are all that's left right now. Thus Hasbro is pulling out all the stops to keep collectors happy, while they try to lure the kids back with cartoon figures.

It could also be their way of telling us to put our money where our mouth is and, if we really want all of this stuff like we claim, then we need to prove it to them by buying it all.

OR, maybe it's the modern equivalent of the 1985 POTF line. They're pulling out all the stops for one last big blow, but if that fails to regenerate interest, then the entire line will get cancelled.

jedi master sal
04-10-2008, 01:34 PM
I bet mummy and daddy are hoping that it dies.:p

;) (I moved back in with my parents after I got out of the Army and lived there for 4 years while I went to college, so I was kind of in the same boat as you for a while.)

Anyways, about the topic at hand, I think this sudden and intense focus on collectors could be a sign that kid interest in Star Wars toys has dropped to an all-time low. They're hoping to revive that with the animated style CW figures; but maybe we as collectors are all that's left right now. Thus Hasbro is pulling out all the stops to keep collectors happy, while they try to lure the kids back with cartoon figures.

It could also be their way of telling us to put our money where our mouth is and, if we really want all of this stuff like we claim, then we need to prove it to them by buying it all.

OR, maybe it's the modern equivalent of the 1985 POTF line. They're pulling out all the stops for one last big blow, but if that fails to regenerate interest, then the entire line will get cancelled.

I agree with your comments completely BB. Especially the last two paragraphs. We DO need to put our money where our mouth is and if that's not enough and doesn't bring more interest back into the line, then it will surely die.

Honestly, I've been preparing myself for that for the last year and am fine with the line ending. Even more so now with the revelation of these latest figs and vehicles.

I'll just move on to my next phase of fandom-that being those huge dioramas I keep going on and on about.

Jargo
04-10-2008, 01:39 PM
or it could just be that there's new blood in rhode island potatohead HQ. willing to chance a few things and shake the boat. willing to accept that kids grow up and their tastes change.
or just sick and tired of hearing the constant whine of fanboys asking over and over again the same old questions.
or just simply that it's a big push to focus attention on the toys with the dawning of the clone wars and live action tv shows. hot product to tantalise and tempt. get a new generation hooked.
I don't think the line will die. I think it might just refocus and refine. go through good and bad stages like it always has. I hope they keep these vehicle resculpts coming.

Phantom-like Menace
04-10-2008, 01:48 PM
If they were still just rereleasing Darth vader in different shades of black in every wave then most of us would have quit a long time ago.

That sums it all up for me. I think the last Vader figure I purchased by itself was Darth Vader (Bespin Duel). That was Saga Collection sometime between 2002 and 2004. Since then I've accidentally accumulated a few dozen Vaders that came in sets and two packs. Most of the main characters are in the same boat. I've gotten so many movie versions of them it seems sometimes I have one for every movie frame they appeared in. I have no desire to complete a 3 3/4" 3D plastic diorama flipbook of the movie, so I'm relieved beyond the telling of it that Hasbro is finally placing an emphasis on characters that weren't in those damned yet hallowed movies.

And if it seems there is an abnormally large emphasis on EU figures, there's a simple reason for that: people fought passionately to keep Hasbro from making these figures for years with the end result being that instead of dispersing them throughout the last ten years, they've all come in the last two.

Even hardcore fans are arguing for movie characters so obscure that they have to provide Wookieepedia links for other hardcore fans to know who is being discussed. I laugh every time someone has to provide one of these links one thread and then argues in the next that an EU character is too obscure, usually while themselves providing detailed information about said character that turns out to be general knowledge to all parties. If they're saving anything for the end, it'll be the handful of speaking supporting characters that haven't gotten any plastic love.

Hasbro simply succumbed to the inevitable: diversity.

Sinscia Fat'o
04-10-2008, 03:34 PM
That sums it all up for me. I think the last Vader figure I purchased by itself was Darth Vader (Bespin Duel). That was Saga Collection sometime between 2002 and 2004. Since then I've accidentally accumulated a few dozen Vaders that came in sets and two packs. Most of the main characters are in the same boat. I've gotten so many movie versions of them it seems sometimes I have one for every movie frame they appeared in. I have no desire to complete a 3 3/4" 3D plastic diorama flipbook of the movie, so I'm relieved beyond the telling of it that Hasbro is finally placing an emphasis on characters that weren't in those damned yet hallowed movies.

And if it seems there is an abnormally large emphasis on EU figures, there's a simple reason for that: people fought passionately to keep Hasbro from making these figures for years with the end result being that instead of dispersing them throughout the last ten years, they've all come in the last two.

Even hardcore fans are arguing for movie characters so obscure that they have to provide Wookieepedia links for other hardcore fans to know who is being discussed. I laugh every time someone has to provide one of these links one thread and then argues in the next that an EU character is too obscure, usually while themselves providing detailed information about said character that turns out to be general knowledge to all parties. If they're saving anything for the end, it'll be the handful of speaking supporting characters that haven't gotten any plastic love.

Hasbro simply succumbed to the inevitable: diversity.

LOL, I totally agree! If hasbro would have given EU a wave a year or two, then we wouldn't be in this boat right now with EU getting so much love. And the last sentence quoted above is truly correct!

I also thing this is hasbro shaping the line for a new generation of kids... and collectors. Not to say that the movies are gone and forgotten but i think the line has to change to keep up with the times, if not then the line will flop with all those background characters, i noticed when we doing the polls for the movies i had to go to other online reasources to know who most of those characters were...the PT more noteably as i don't know every character's story and back ground...and the only reason i know as much as i do about the PT is because of Decipher and West End Games RPG and CCG systems.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-10-2008, 05:15 PM
I'm not really sure if they're scraping the bottom of the barrel quite yet. All these items - EU stuff, AT-TE, new Falcon, Yarna, Willrow, etc. - are ones collectors have been asking for (loudly) for several years, and they make them, and then we say they're going too far? There are no "real" new movies, so of course they're going to have to make more obscure characters; after 500+ individual figures plus repaints, repacks, and what have you, things may not be as exciting to everyone anymore. All this EU stuff is getting a little out of hand, I think, and I don't know if I want to keep up with it anymore. But that's just me, as I know lots of others have wanted this for a long time.

If it were to end soon (and I don't think it will), I would frankly not mind too much. There is quite a lot of old stuff to buy . . . even right now, when there are "no new figures" until July, there are hundreds of dollars worth of ships and exclusives to get. Well, maybe they should just scale back a lot instead of quitting altogether.

JediTricks
04-11-2008, 12:39 AM
Man, and I thought I was negative!

There's nothing equatable between Yarna and the Falcon except they're both coming out during a period of heightened SW interest.

Yarna will get the same collector-themed release treatment those sorts of figures always get, it's not like she's in a wave where it's 7 other collector-interest figures, there are 3 core characters in that wave!

The Falcon is a large ramp-up Xmas toy, there's not as much strong competition in the toy aisle and Star Wars for the first time gets a mild break which could translate into a budgetary windfall for the team. In fact, that's my best guess, the standard SW budget we've been seeing the line made from lately got a little propping-up by the Indy line interrupting it, and they were able to trick the accountants into using this for bigger purposes.

As for the AT-TE, the new show covered that all along.

El Chuxter
04-11-2008, 12:44 AM
So... An outright refusal to make large vehicles, then two giant ones priced at over $100 within a three-month period, in the midst of the biggest imaginable onslaught of EU, and shortly before two of the most requested unlikely figures are released doesn't give you some pause?

Again, two frigging gigantanormous vehicles on the shelves at once, and the cheap one is $100.

bigbarada
04-11-2008, 01:41 AM
there are 3 core characters in that wave!

4, you forgot Darth Vader.

Phantom-like Menace
04-11-2008, 01:53 AM
Well, maybe they should just scale back a lot instead of quitting altogether.

There's wisdom here. It's hard to keep up with things, and it gives us an artificial sense that we're in a desperate hurry to get things when we really can just sit back and wait. We see that candle burning down at an alarming rate and we figure we need to get ours before it goes out.

JediTricks
04-11-2008, 02:24 AM
So... An outright refusal to make large vehicles, then two giant ones priced at over $100 within a three-month period, in the midst of the biggest imaginable onslaught of EU, and shortly before two of the most requested unlikely figures are released doesn't give you some pause?It might had there ever been an "outright refusal to make large vehicles", but that never happened. They said they'd never do build-a-vehicle bonus parts, they said it'd be expensive to produce, they said they weren't doing it at that time in 2006, but they didn't outright refuse anything. The rest of that stuff fits my theory of "it finally fit the budget" pretty well, and certainly doesn't faze me.

Again, two frigging gigantanormous vehicles on the shelves at once, and the cheap one is $100.A) We don't know how much this Falcon will cost, both the AT-TE and Falcon came up in Target's computers as $150 and now we know the AT-TE is not.

B) We don't know they're coming out at the same time as each other.

C) Even if they do come out at the same time, 3rd and 4th quarter this year has some unusually weak competition in the toy aisle, both of these will coast comfortably into the Holiday spending season which they will likely OWN, and nearly every taxpayer in America is getting a sizable tax rebate bonus check to boot. Perhaps Hasbro isn't looking at instant sales for the expensive toy here, but a longer-term plan, at least 5 months, since these aren't $7 action figures we're talking about. Hell, Hasbro's Furreal Friends had a variation of Butterscotch, the robot pony, on shelves last year, it's not like they don't understand how to move big-ticket items, they've just been gun-shy after Ep 1 because of the drubbing the company took there. But they've seen steady increases since reformatting the company so no 1 line could be more than 10% of their efforts and stopped buying every smaller toy company in sight.

4, you forgot Darth Vader.Indeed I did, you are right, good point.

plasticfetish
04-11-2008, 03:18 AM
I'm seeing it as Hasbro responding to how a lot of collectors are talking about only spending their money on select (OT) or high-end items. They're probably shooting for the new Falcon as being one of those big purchases for the year, along with the Sideshow, Kotos or whatever.

Given the rising cost of plastic though, I'm really curious to see what this one finally retails for.

Dark Marble
04-11-2008, 12:50 PM
Hasbro has said that they would not try anything big unless there is something to tie it to. The AT-TE has a movie and a cartoon to support it along side an action figure line aimed at kids. It is just an aggressive marketing strategy and I think it is sound.

Plus there in not a lot of Original Trilogy stuff hitting this year so for the OT collectors who are not getting (or maybe spending) as much, here is a nice big ship to keep them happy. It all makes sense to me.

But I thought Star Wars toys wouldn't make it two years past the run of ROTS so what do I know.

DarthBrandon
04-11-2008, 03:41 PM
Meh, I'm not really worried about anything at all, once I pick up the Falcon & the AT-TE I'm pretty much done collecting all together. I may pick up the odd figure / comic here & there, but for the most part things are slowing down quite a bit for me. With all the resculpts etc of the same old same old, I've grown tired of buying everything. I went from $5000 down to $2500 & this year I plan to spend $1200 or less to get a few vehicles & a couple of figures. I still hold out hope for the Death Star, Star Destroyer, Rebel Blockade Runner or a Sailbarge as this is where I'd like to focus now.

Tenric78
04-11-2008, 03:55 PM
From a business standpoint it would be insane to launch high priced products that carry a lot of risk if your business model is questionable. If they were having trouble they'd be scaling back production and trying to focus on core competencies rather than expanding into risky ventures like big vehicles that historically haven't done that well (relatively speaking).

Darth Cruel
04-12-2008, 01:58 PM
EC - I am not seeing anything in your reasoning to draw an end-of-the-line conclusion from.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-12-2008, 05:35 PM
And don't forget, they have been ramping up for big-ticket items the past few years. They tested the waters with the Imperial Shuttle and Endor AT-AT, both of which were old molds modified with either repacked figures or new paint, and both sold very well, showing that there was indeed still a market for them. Same thing with last year's Ultimate Battle Packs (to a lesser extent). People went gaga over them (well, most people - I remember you didn't like them, Chux) and most of the stuff in there was old. I think these tests showed that people still do want big items, and now Hasbro has given us the two we've all been asking for for many, many years.

We could say something about looking a gift horse in the mouth here, but . . .

bpr2
04-12-2008, 07:53 PM
I have cut back quite a bit, though my budget has never been close to $5000(or $2500 or even $1200;)). Lately I've goten a few Hasbro figures, choosing only the one I like and Sideshow's 12 inch line. Sidshow has been getting the most of my money, though I need to cut back there as well. LEGO have peeked my interest as well. But this new Falcon....WOW! I will have to trim everything to get this:thumbsup:.

jedi master sal
04-13-2008, 10:01 AM
Well, as one who has trim his budget in half to $3K, even if the Falcon put me over budget, there's no way I'd pass it up. It's the ultimate bad mother Falcon!

TheCivilCollector
04-13-2008, 06:29 PM
I think they are putting an end to the line, but not how you think.

Clone Wars will be out in the fall, after that the two live action series coming in '09 and '10, not to mention Force Unleased and whatever other games are coming. I think they will ditch releasing items from the original 6 movies and focus on games and the various series.

JON9000
04-13-2008, 06:39 PM
I think they are putting an end to the line, but not how you think.

Clone Wars will be out in the fall, after that the two live action series coming in '09 and '10, not to mention Force Unleased and whatever other games are coming. I think they will ditch releasing items from the original 6 movies and focus on games and the various series.

This is close to my thinking. However, I think there will always be at least a light smattering of OT and PT toys. Whenever there is a new media event, toys to support it take center stage for awhile. We have this movie plus two shows coming out. If we didn't get the MF now, it woulda been at least another 2 years.

Star Wars is becoming an ever more diverse market and with a new movie and a couple of shows, the possibilities are there for lots of new product. These vehicles tell me Hasbro has robust confidence in the license, and things will only get better!

Sinscia Fat'o
04-13-2008, 06:47 PM
This is close to my thinking. However, I think there will always be at least a light smattering of OT and PT toys. Whenever there is a new media event, toys to support it take center stage for awhile. We have this movie plus two shows coming out. If we didn't get the MF now, it woulda been at least another 2 years.

Star Wars is becoming an ever more diverse market and with a new movie and a couple of shows, the possibilities are there for lots of new product. These vehicles tell me Hasbro has robust confidence in the license, and things will only get better!

I have to agree here, as Hasbro giving us The Falcon and the At-TE only shows confidence in the line and it's future, they would not be doing this with the economy being like it is just to say hey it's been fun guys see you all in 15 years when we relaunch... Point being Hasbro is just giving the older fan's something they have been wanting, and making it marketable to the kiddies as well. I think if anything this is a sign of good faith in the product and were it's going.

I do however think were going to see less and less OT and PT merchandise maybe three or four waves a year dedicated to it, while the rest will be EU and Video game based...not to mentention the TV series and other movie products that are bound to happen or show up.

TheDarthVader
04-14-2008, 12:01 PM
I agree with the last 3 or 4 posters. These new shows, series, and movies will put Star Wars back on the forefront (as in in the minds of kids), and these kids will want the toys even more once these are released as opposed to now.

dindae
04-14-2008, 02:34 PM
While Star Wars has probably wanned in interest, I think people forget that it is still the #1 boys toy line. Yes they have pretty much pull out all stops on which figures are viable for choices in the line. Mainly it is because the movies have been mined more than any movie has been. The great thing about this line is there are still figures people want. They have released over 1000 figures and we still want more. The bottom line is that the figures are selling. The comic packs are doing well. I don't see the EU character stacking up because they are EU. As far as the ships go Hasbro has been slowly building towards this. The started releasing new ship molds in a non movie year with good results. As others pointed out they rereleased the AT-AT, Imperial Shuttle, and Ultimate Battle packs but they also just in the past year they released the Y-wing, TIE, TIE Interceptor, Jedi Starfighter with Hyperspace ring, AAT, Hailfire Droid, AT-ST (in UBP), Speederbike (in UBP), ARC 170, Saesee Tin's Fighter, Sith Infiltrator, TIE Bomber, 6 different E3 Starfighters, Grievious's fighter, AT-RT walkers, Vader's TIE, and the AT-TP. That's 17 molds with 23 paint job's. If you look at that list and add in the list from 2006 and there are very few ships that they haven't released in one form or another. I don't recall any of these being poor performers either. So with all of that success why not make some new molds in what is now going to be a "movie" year? Sure they might not fly off the shelves but these are top notch vehicles from what I have seen so the only negative would be the price points. But really it's only 3-4 tanks of gas.

jedi master sal
04-14-2008, 03:30 PM
...the only negative would be the price points. But really it's only 3-4 tanks of gas.

Were that only true.

I'm getting:
3 AT-TEs
1 Falcon
3 Homing Spider droids
2 V-wings

That's $550 that before tax.

I'm at 7% tax, so that's another $38.50.

Gas currently is $3.37/.gallon here and I have an 18 gallon tank. That's $60.66 a tank. Round it down to $60. That's 9.8 (call it 10) TANKS of gas.

Thankfully these toy vehicles do not need gas....besides after I eat a burrito or two, I have enough gas for all of my ships....lol

El Chuxter
04-17-2008, 05:06 PM
There have been some good points raised in this thread (and in some private conversations I've had). Perhaps I am wrong. I am still concerned, though. Because if some of these items (huge vehicles, mainly) don't do well, I have a feeling Hasbro is going to take this line much less seriously in the near future.

Of course, maybe that'll mean more space on the pegs for the GIJoes!

Devil King
04-17-2008, 06:58 PM
I'm not trying to be an alarmist, but look at the facts.

For years, Hasbro has refused to make an AT-TE, and said one at proper scale is very unlikely. They claim large vehicles don't sell well. They didn't even make one as a movie tie-in in 2002 or 2005.

This summer, we're getting a huge $100+ AT-TE to coincide with a cartoon.

They've also refused to make a new Millennium Falcon. They even re-released the old one several times. Again, the large vehicle argument.

Pics have just surfaced of a monstrous, likely $150+ Millennium Falcon. As the cockpit looks to hold four figures comfortably, we're looking at something bigger than the Naboo Starship from 1999.

Yarna and Wilrow Hood were "bottom of the barrel" for years, considered (along with a Wokling) some of the most unlikely figures to be made.

They're both scheduled to be released within a year. So's the Wokling.

Since the initial SOTE line, people have asked for more EU. Hasbro has only occasionally, grudgingly produced anything (usually one or two figures out of context).

Roughly 3/4 of the 2008 line is EU. Most of this is very recent EU. As in "within the last year or two."

So, are they trying to pull out all the stops before someone in corporate decides the line isn't profitable and drops the hammer? Or are they being proactive, and anticipating increased collector interest vs kid interest in the coming years?

Based on their utter destruction of the once mega-successful Marvel Legends line within about a year of taking over the license, the skyrocketing costs all around (for us and them), their insistence that things like Unleashed don't sell despite pretty overwhelming evidence otherwise, etc, I'm thinking the Star Wars line has two more years, tops.

Less if the massive AT-TE's and Falcons don't sell. (And, sorry, I'm not buying them.)

Hey, there's no reason not to squeeze the last few dollars out of a collectors market that, by and large, are made up of adult collectors that totally resent the handling of the prequels. And unless Lucas managaes to really pull the SW *** out of the fire with the live action show by not allowing it to become Star Trek (Which I actually like for ST, but not for SW..tone and genre wise) people are going to become more and more picky about what they spend their money on. But I'm really only speaking for me. I'm sure as a brand, SW is in no danger of going away.

Banthaholic
04-17-2008, 11:19 PM
When Ackmena gets enshrined in plastic I might follow this thought. But as Star Wars still is one of the largest selling boys lines I just don't see it happening.

Even during the dark times of 85-95 there were tidbits that popped up to keep us in the loop. I remember getting Star Wars for the original 8 bit Nintendo and was like a dream come true. Bend Ems and Micro Machines came into be before POTF-2 and the Zahn novels and Dark Empire built on a new universe to explore.

In time the line might cut back, but as long as there is a dollar to be made there will be more star wars.

bigbarada
04-17-2008, 11:29 PM
When Ackmena gets enshrined in plastic I might follow this thought. But as Star Wars still is one of the largest selling boys lines I just don't see it happening.

Even during the dark times of 85-95 there were tidbits that popped up to keep us in the loop. I remember getting Star Wars for the original 8 bit Nintendo and was like a dream come true. Bend Ems and Micro Machines came into be before POTF-2 and the Zahn novels and Dark Empire built on a new universe to explore.

In time the line might cut back, but as long as there is a dollar to be made there will be more star wars.

There was also the West End Games Star Wars RPG that came out in 1987 and I remember it running pretty strong all the way through the early 90s.

Kidhuman
04-17-2008, 11:46 PM
Here is my take on tis situation.

To me, its seems like they want this line to fail. We have been asking for all of these toys for years and we got sot down at every turn. All of a sudden, 2 high priced never before seen vehicles show up. And "rumored" to be released at the same time.

Right now we are in an economic depression(whatever), and people are not spending nearly as much. These vehicles are slated to hit at the same time Hasbro launches their new CW line and the legacy line of figures as well. 200 dollars for the vehicles. 10-20 figures is another 70-150 dollars. Where do they expect people to get money to pay for all of this and have money to buy into the IJ line. Somethings has to give and I think they are trying to split sales on the vehicles and then call both a bust and therefore can have an ace up their sleeve when it comes time for a Sail Barge etc.

jedi master sal
04-18-2008, 10:00 AM
There have been some good points raised in this thread (and in some private conversations I've had). Perhaps I am wrong. I am still concerned, though. Because if some of these items (huge vehicles, mainly) don't do well, I have a feeling Hasbro is going to take this line much less seriously in the near future.

Of course, maybe that'll mean more space on the pegs for the GIJoes!

Chux, are you kidding me? Hasbro still has the license for 10 more years. With the cartoon and live action shows coming out, there's PLENTY more opportunity for toys and the line to flourish. Granted it's worn many a long time collector down due to the shear volume of toys many of us have, but they are so much banking on us as they are the kids who collected during the prequels. Those kids are the future of the line, not us. We will most definitely become a small demographic in the purchasing ages of SW fans.

I have a feeling that Hasbro has finally understood that many of we collectors are on the verge of calling it quits or severely trimming down how much we collect. So they take that info and merge it with the fact of the two shows coming out and found that now was the time to manufacture these two large ships. It's a way to pay homage to fans who have stuck with them for all these years, as well as infuse some new blood so to speak into the collecting community, by way of prequel kids (who BTW many of which are now teens with jobs...scary to think huh). But that means they have money even if limited, to spend on this stuff.

This line will be taken seriously so long as there is still interest as well as somthing substantial to back it up. Again, with the new "movie" and two shows, that's BIG. That's something that will keep SW in the forefront for several more years. And I believe by design, will also help keep the toy line going.

jedi master sal
04-18-2008, 10:15 AM
Here is my take on tis situation.

To me, its seems like they want this line to fail. We have been asking for all of these toys for years and we got sot down at every turn. All of a sudden, 2 high priced never before seen vehicles show up. And "rumored" to be released at the same time.

Right now we are in an economic depression(whatever), and people are not spending nearly as much. These vehicles are slated to hit at the same time Hasbro launches their new CW line and the legacy line of figures as well. 200 dollars for the vehicles. 10-20 figures is another 70-150 dollars. Where do they expect people to get money to pay for all of this and have money to buy into the IJ line. Somethings has to give and I think they are trying to split sales on the vehicles and then call both a bust and therefore can have an ace up their sleeve when it comes time for a Sail Barge etc.

What? They want a multi million dollar line to fail? The top seller of all time? No way bro. I agree with you on most things, but not in this case. They do not MAKE us buy any of this stuff. Nor can they make us buy the IJ line as well as the SW line. That's on you (collective, not just KH) the collector. If you (again collective) can't afford both lines, then don't get them both. I'm passing on the IJ line totally. Not because I want to necessarily, but I've got to draw the line somewhere. I've planned for the AT-TE since I first heard of it. Knowing that I would save my refund for them. Now with Bush's tax rebate I was going to buy a PS3, and a few other things. I'll hold off on the PS3 for now and get the Falcon and save the difference between the Falcon and the PS3 and then when I've saved enough get the PS3 as well. It just takes some planning. But again if you (collective) expect to have it all, that may be a bit unrealistic. Especially if the funds just aren't there to back it up. It's unfortunate for those who can't afford it all, but don't blame the toy company for it. In fact be glad that they are making so much desireable stuff. If anything that will HELP the economy by getting people to buy.

As far as having to buy 10-20 figures for the AT-TE, that's absurd. If we don't have enough clones by now from the past 3 years alone, then don't buy it so you don't feel obligated to fill it up. Tycho is buying the AT-TE and doesn't feel obligated to fill it up with clones. (At least I think that's still his plan). I have many hundreds of clones and plan on filling up each and every one of the AT-TEs I get with them. Hidden from view, yes, but also a way of storing the figures.

All this talk of the Sail Barge recently has only come up I believe because it's a perception that since two of the most oft requested vehicles be made/remade are being done that people are now turing their focus towards the next most asked for vehicle. Hasbro has given no indication that they'd ever make a Sail Barge. They were pretty good about keeping the AT-TE and Falcon under wraps for so long. If they never make a Sail Barge (for whatever reason), I'm okay with that. Besides, if people are poo-pooing about not having space for either the Falcon or AT-TE, then I can't see those same people making space for a Sail Barge. Easily the Falcon is more "iconic" than the Sail Barge. And in terms of the prequels, I'd just about say the same for the AT-TE, though of course that is debatable.

I think we all just need to settle down a bit. Give it some time, let Hasbro respond to our questions. Wait until after both ships have hit the market to see how sales go, then further discuss this. Right now it's all conjecture and worry about things that we may not need to be worried about at all.

Respectfully,
-Sal

bigbarada
04-18-2008, 11:07 AM
What? They want a multi million dollar line to fail?

I agree, if Hasbro was intentionally trying to kill the line, then 2008 would be full of nothing but Saga Legends, Clonetroopers and Jedi Starfighter repaints.

Sure we are going to see our fair share of those, but if that was ALL that we had to look forward to, then even the most loyal and tolerant of collectors would ultimately walk away. Hasbro wouldn't spend thousands upon thousands of dollars developing new molds and new toys if they wanted the line to fail. Especially not when they have 12 years of existing stuff to rehash.

I believe this is a major show of faith in the line from Hasbro, we should just enjoy it while it lasts.

Phantom-like Menace
04-18-2008, 11:21 AM
What? They want a multi million dollar line to fail? The top seller of all time? No way bro.

Right now it's all conjecture and worry about things that we may not need to be worried about at all.

It's the nature of the Internet to tear things down before we've even seen it. It's gone beyond assumption and straight into self-fulfilling prophecy: I think the line is failing, so I'm going to stop buying things. Add to that the fact that some people are desperate for Hasbro to quit because they just can't pull the trigger on their collecting themselves, and everything is going to look like that light at the end of the tunnel.

Kidhuman
04-18-2008, 03:29 PM
I agree, if Hasbro was intentionally trying to kill the line, then 2008 would be full of nothing but Saga Legends, Clonetroopers and Jedi Starfighter repaints.

It is, Aayla Securas JSF, Black Hole Stormies and stuff in the Legends line, clone repacks in Order 66. Seems it will fail then eh? ;)

As far as having to buy 10-20 figures for the AT-TE, that's absurd. If we don't have enough clones by now from the past 3 years alone, then don't buy it so you don't feel obligated to fill it up. Tycho is buying the AT-TE and doesn't feel obligated to fill it up with clones. (At least I think that's still his plan). I have many hundreds of clones and plan on filling up each and every one of the AT-TEs I get with them. Hidden from view, yes, but also a way of storing the figures.

I have enough clones, I was talking about the CW figures being released with the AT-TE. A new animated line and the legacy CW figs. Buy those and its 10-20 figs at the same time as an AT-TE and Falcon.

Think about last Christmas, Target had 8 exclusives between Thanksgiving and Christmas and Wal-Mart had 4-5 exclusives at the same time. Most of us didnt know which to buy, missed half of them and now they wont be back, plus dealing with no new stuff and 6 waves hitting in 3 months. I see the same thing happening, people getting flustered and saying F it. Why does Hasbro release nothing for 4 months and then BLAM!!!!! its all here in one month.

jedi master sal
04-18-2008, 03:31 PM
It's the nature of the Internet to tear things down before we've even seen it. It's gone beyond assumption and straight into self-fulfilling prophecy: I think the line is failing, so I'm going to stop buying things. Add to that the fact that some people are desperate for Hasbro to quit because they just can't pull the trigger on their collecting themselves, and everything is going to look like that light at the end of the tunnel.

Well there is some truth to what you are saying here.

Personally for me, I feel it is an exciting time to be a fan/collector. New movie, new cartoon show, soon to be live action show, plenty more toys (whether you like animated or not), and brand spanking new BIG ships. There's something for everyone who is a SW fan.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-18-2008, 09:52 PM
by way of prequel kids (who BTW many of which are now teens with jobs...scary to think huh).
Hey, that's me! (Well, without the job part right now.) I was 9 when TPM came out and I actually liked Jar Jar at the time. Eat it. :p

Right now we are in an economic depression(whatever), and people are not spending nearly as much. These vehicles are slated to hit at the same time Hasbro launches their new CW line and the legacy line of figures as well.
The Clone Wars line was going to start with the TV show; they didn't plan to release them during the recession. These things take 12-18 months from design to being on-shelf, and nobody was thinking there would be a recession at that time (least of all Hasbro, I think). They've been saying they would release an AT-TE if/when it made sense, and they didn't make one for AOTC or ROTS, so this is really their last chance to do so. The Legacy Collection was just to appease "older" fans who (supposedly) wouldn't want to buy the CW stuff, to give them something while the kiddies had their animated figures.

I'm thinking that they decided to release the Falcon at this time so that PT fans and OT fans could each have something good. It just so happens that many of us want both. I really do not think they would intentionally want to tank such a moneymaker like the Star Wars line.

Jedi_Kal-El
04-18-2008, 11:59 PM
I was 9 when TPM came out and I actually liked Jar Jar at the time. Eat it. :p

My neice use to love Power Rangers when she was a kid, so no one is going to think any less of you liking Jar Jar when you were a wee lad.:thumbsup:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-19-2008, 12:27 AM
My neice use to love Power Rangers when she was a kid, so no one is going to think any less of you liking Jar Jar when you were a wee lad.:thumbsup:
Aw, shucks!

(Don't tell 'em I used to like Power Rangers, too . . . until I was 7, right around the time they introduced the new kid who transformed into adult size; even as a kid I knew that was dumb.)