PDA

View Full Version : I Had A Dream About Encountering Large Hippopotamuses While Buying Toys

Tycho
04-12-2008, 03:36 PM
I went to wait outside a smaller retail toy vender (like KayBee or a chain we used to have in Southern California called The Play Co.)

I was early and planned to wait outside the store until they opened. I'd bought a bag of fast-food breakfast and thought I'd sit down and enjoy a sausage croissant sandwich with some orange juice and hash browns dipped in ketchup at a picnic bench that was outside this store. It was a beautiful day, warm, with the sun shining down on this particular strip mall.

The toy store was located on the far edge of the parking lot and commercial development, next to a wild open space area.

It would have almost been ideal, except there were 4 other people already sitting at the picnic bench. I went ahead and asked if they would mind if I sat there and ate. The other 30-somethings said of course not, but took mocking tones when they asked me why I was there, waiting outside a toy store before it was even open. There was an attractive girl and 3 guys amongst them. It was as if they knew what would be my answers. But I didn't disappoint them.

Sometimes I like to be sort of a smartarse and proud of being different, and even superior about it. I told them I was there waiting to buy the new Star Wars figures. They asked if I was then going to sell them on eBay. I said no. They asked if I had a young kid at home that I was buying the figures for, or if it was a gift. I said no. And I explained that I bought them for myself, probably in my usual tone that suggests I'm quite proud to be different from almost anybody else (present company excluded of course). Then they asked me if I was saving them to be worth money, and I said no. I came clean that I didn't "collect them" and was waiting to tear all the toys free from their packaging so I could set up some huge battle dioramas. They were already laughing and exchanging glances with each other.

The girl asked me if I had a girlfriend. I said no, I did not. More glances were exchanged. I'd supposed they were then pondering on whether I was gay. It seems some would come to this conclusion if you don't have a girlfriend, and you collect toys. If you tell them you're an active Democrat, it really reinforces this preconceived notion. It makes you hate them, hate yourself, hate simple-minded Republicans, and hate society all at once.

So there we were at this point in our conversation, where I'd expect it to then go into detail about Star Wars, the toys or something, as if that's then what the others would expect would be the absolutely only thing I could carry on a conversation about - you know the old "If Darth Maul and R2-D2 got into a fight...." but suddenly two hippopatumuses walked out of the wild vegetation that bordered the strip mall.

There was a mother and a baby hippo. The mother was huge! If you've ever seen these animals at the zoo, you know what I'm talking about. The darn creature is as big as a Volkswagon without exagerrating! Their black skin glistened with some wet mud they must have been wallowing in, somewhere out of site from before. The baby was about the size of a medium build dog. It came up and around some railing that guarded the edge of the raised walkway that spanned the stores of the stripmall and ended on an edge outside the toy store. I was pretty sure it was attracted by the scent of my sausage croissant sandwich, but I was confused, as I thought hippos were herbavores. Nevertheless, the mother was a large and dangerously sized creature with huge teeth. Hippos use their teeth for fighting and defense, even if they are not ever carnivorous. It was pretty amazing and scary all at the same time.

Then the baby suddenly lifted it's leg. Clearly a male, it proceeded to whizz down the entire walkway and a handicap ramp and driveway, right in front of the five of us at this picnic table. Mind you, I was eating!

Then I woke up and that was my dream. It was fascinating and I don't know everything it meant, or even if I wrote down and described all the details as best as I could, but it was so real! So I posted about it. If something more interesting happened to you, then you should post about it too.

I suppose more 'interesting' things happened to me this week, but I'd rather not think about most of them. If the worst I had to deal with were hippopatamuses outside of toy retailers, it would be a far easier world to deal with. Hope you enjoyed this story.

CaptainSolo1138
04-12-2008, 03:41 PM
Odd, I had a dream that involved hippos in some way the other night.*

*No, that's not a joke. And they weren't of the "Hungry, Hungry" variety. I just think its peculiar that I'm starting to share dream components with Tycho.

JimJamBonds
04-12-2008, 05:28 PM
Hey Cappy, when you woke up were trying to eat your pillow ala Homer Simpson?

JetsAndHeels
04-12-2008, 05:31 PM
I had a dream that a hamburger was eating me!!

mabudonicus
04-12-2008, 06:04 PM
I had a dream where me and Elf met this couple of HOT chicks and then stuff got AWESOME like ther was #####, ######## and a lot of ## to ##### and some #####s ####### into each others #####s while I'm there ####ing and ###ing on the #### ##### laid out before me

but I digress what was this ### about exactly, I missed the opening post
:beard: Iso&baws
WTF is with tha beard

Jedi_Kal-El
04-12-2008, 06:55 PM
I actually had a dream about something other than the Indian's daughter for once.

jjreason
04-12-2008, 08:38 PM
I'm terrified of hippopotomi. They kill more men each year than lions, tigers, bears, elephants, car accidents, heart disease and cancer combined. :cry:

Tycho
04-12-2008, 09:27 PM
Do you guys relate to the part of my story where others outside this hobby make fun of people they find out are into it?

Blue2th
04-12-2008, 09:32 PM
This happens to me for reals, everytime I go to Walmart when it's busy there's always some big Hippopotomus with their shopping cart blocking the isle I need to use to get to the toy section. Then I have to use a zigzag pattern of alternate routes.

I do also freely admit to buying them for myself to answer your question. Be damned the snickerers!

2-1B
04-13-2008, 12:38 PM
Do you guys relate to the part of my story where others outside this hobby make fun of people they find out are into it?

Yeah, but I relate to the people outside of this hobby.

DarthBrandon
04-13-2008, 12:52 PM
I had a dream where me and Elf met this couple of HOT chicks and then stuff got AWESOME like ther was #####, ######## and a lot of ## to ##### and some #####s ####### into each others #####s while I'm there ####ing and ###ing on the #### ##### laid out before me

but I digress what was this ### about exactly, I missed the opening post
:beard: Iso&baws
WTF is with tha beard

Strangely enough I have the same dream every night, usually involves more than just a couple of hot chicks though. No hippos allowed:D

Tycho
04-13-2008, 02:45 PM

I either relate to people outside this hobby (people I deal with in politics, now as I'm trying to become published, from my interests in rock, sports, recreational activities, etc.) or I can pretend to.

That might mean I still actually DO relate to them, but I'm just hiding my boredom on the inside, or I just fake it alright.

Strangest of all, I tend to test whether my non-Star Wars fan friends could have any glint of interest in SW, and whether my SW friends could have any glint of interest in politics, current events, etc.

I want to make every connection with everyone. I don't know why I get that way.

So are any of you into Strawberry Shortcake? I had to play her videos for my friend'd daughters when they came to visit me. I didn't watch them myself, but now wonder if I missed out on anything.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-13-2008, 03:32 PM

And yet you still come to this site . . .

2-1B
04-13-2008, 08:18 PM
And yet you still come to this site . . .

I was talking within the context of Tycho's dreams. :thumbsup:

Bel-Cam Jos
12-30-2008, 11:13 AM
For the last three nights I've had very vivid dreams. Somewhat disturbing to me, for various reasons, but nothing violent or frightening. First, involving skyscrapers, soccer games, staircases, students, and probably some other word starting with 'S.' Second, back in my hotel worker days, and last night... now I've forgotten it. Thanks, this post! :therapy: :thumbsup:

JetsAndHeels
12-30-2008, 11:19 AM
I had a dream that a hamburger was eating me!!

Tycho
12-30-2008, 10:08 PM
hippopatumuses! hippopatumuses! hippopatumuses!

Hey: anyone for a game of Hungry-Hungry-Hippos?