PDA

View Full Version : Midwest Earthquake

Pages : [1] 2

Ji'dai
04-18-2008, 08:38 AM
I was awakened out of a deep sleep around 5:30 this morning by a rather loud booming sound that shook the walls of my bedroom. Stuff was falling off my dresser and I sat straight up in bed, wondering what the hell was going on.

My first thought was tornado - and I jumped out of bed, pulled on some shorts and rushed to the front door to look outside, but the night skies were clear and stars were shining. There was a train going by on the track in the distance, but trains on that line have never shook the house like this. It had to be an earthquake.

So I flipped on the TV and sure enough the local news anchors started reporting calls about the quake and said that the studio was hit too.

According to CNN (http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/04/18/illinois.earthquake/index.html), an earthquake measuring 5.2 magnitude hit the Midwest. The epicenter was in southern Illinois near the Indiana border.

I'm sure SoCal forumites will probably pooh-pooh us Midwesterners, but earthquake tremors aren't a part of daily life here. So did anyone else feel it?

TeeEye7
04-18-2008, 10:46 AM
I'm sure SoCal forumites will probably pooh-pooh us Midwesterners, but earthquake tremors aren't a part of daily life here.

Here's one SoCal-er who won't. Those bad boys are an awesome, scary experience! I've been through some nasty ones, including the Sylmar quake, where our house sustained some pretty good damage. We're just "lucky" to have them often that we tend to get complacent if they're "small". But 5.2 ain't small! That will certainly get your attention. I'm just glad you're OK, and no worse for the wear having gone through it! :thumbsup:

bigbarada
04-18-2008, 10:59 AM
So that's what that was, I've never been through an earthquake before, so I thought it was just a super strong wind gust rocking my building. I felt the 10:15 aftershock for sure, I also thought it might be a tornado.

Jedi_Kal-El
04-18-2008, 12:54 PM
I live in South Bend and it didn't even wake me up. Being from Vegas and having so many decent Cali quakes rip me out of bed when I was younger. This one was nothing to me.

Jargo
04-18-2008, 01:28 PM
frickin frackin exciting isn't it? i was all hyped up like a goofball on speed when the quake hit us here in the uk. it was so surreal. you watch footage slowed down to show the way a quake shakes buildings but until you experience that movement and see the walls moving for yourself it just doesn't register that things like that happen for real. and the noise too. that's what i didn't expect. like a big passenger plane going overhead really low. but not like that at all when you think about it after, it's more like a sustained echo of something very very big fallen a long way down into an underground cavern. a huge bass boom. and it seems to be all around rather than coming from any one direction.

I have to say I loved our quake. I want more. which is sad i know but it takes a lot to get me excited and danger is something that does. makes me feel alive.

Neuroleptic
04-18-2008, 04:48 PM
Nope. Didn't feel it. I'm all the way out here in Kansas though, so that's a bit farther away. They say this area is on a biiiig fault line, but we havn't had an earth quake here . . . ever. Or at least, none that anyone alive remembers.

I know this sounds crazy to people in california who have been through them, but I'd love to be in one just once to see what it's like.

Course, people not from tornado ally say the same thing about tornados. And they probably get the same reaction I will for saying this, which is,

"Oh no you DON'T want to go through one!"

bigbarada
04-18-2008, 05:12 PM
frickin frackin exciting isn't it? i was all hyped up like a goofball on speed when the quake hit us here in the uk. it was so surreal. you watch footage slowed down to show the way a quake shakes buildings but until you experience that movement and see the walls moving for yourself it just doesn't register that things like that happen for real. and the noise too. that's what i didn't expect. like a big passenger plane going overhead really low. but not like that at all when you think about it after, it's more like a sustained echo of something very very big fallen a long way down into an underground cavern. a huge bass boom. and it seems to be all around rather than coming from any one direction.

I have to say I loved our quake. I want more. which is sad i know but it takes a lot to get me excited and danger is something that does. makes me feel alive.

It was pretty exciting and you described it pretty well. Like a thunderclap at it's most intense, but it doesn't die down after just a second or two, it keeps on going. Very cool, I almost can't wait for the next one, as long as it's not on the same level as the New Madrid quake from 1812.

Anakin Palpatine
04-18-2008, 05:45 PM
I live in Arlington Heights, IL and did not feel a thing. I'm about 20 min from O'Hare and 35 min. from the Loop. So I guess it didn't hit my area. Just glad to hear your alright!

Lord Malakite
04-19-2008, 02:42 AM
I sure noticed it and I live about 30 to 40 minutes east of Cincinnati. I was actually on here doing my daily mod rounds when it struck. From here there wasn't really any noticible damage or extreme shaking (as most of you nearer to Illinois might have experienced), but you could definately hear it and see a few things (like the PC monitor) lightly vibrating. The thing I noticed the most was the windows and doors rattling (sounded like multiple people were trying to break in at every possible entrance/exit in the house). At the time that it hit the first thing that popped into my mind was earthquake, so I immediately went to the TV to confirm my suspicions. Unfortunately the Cincinnati news stations didn't start reporting anything about an earthquake until some 10 to 15 minutes later when their stations were being flooded with calls. :D

bobafrett
04-19-2008, 05:58 AM
I slept right through it like Anakin Palpatine, I didn't feel a thing. They were talking about it on the loop radio station yesterday.

Tycho
04-19-2008, 10:10 AM
Hehe. Sleeping through it. You'd make a natural Californian, Frett.

Yeah, earthquakes aren't "special" out here in Cali. But I have to have an escape plan should it be necessary. I will probably try to save my cats, but that'll be it.

It was interesting that one should hit Illinois though.

Ji'dai
04-19-2008, 10:35 AM
What struck me - and Jargo and bigbarada mentioned this in their posts - was how loud it was. It was the noise that got me out of bed, which was why I thought it might be a tornado. I've never experienced one of those first hand, but tornados are always likened to the roar of a freight train passing close by.

Apparently there were aftershocks all morning, including a fairly major one mid-morning, but I didn't feel those at all.

But I survived and there wasn't any real harm done that could see from the house, garage, and sidewalks. In fact the only real casualities were some of my SW figures that toppled over on their shelves. About a dozen need to be put back in place. It could be worse - I've got nearly 500 loose SW figures on display, most without stands!

Tycho
04-19-2008, 11:10 AM
Yeah, I hated that part of earthquakes - what with doing dioramas and all.

Putting your figures on Clear Stands resolves most of that, but the vibrations still turn them and they wind up shooting in the wrong direction or with Han kissing Chewbacca.

Deoxyribonucleic
04-19-2008, 11:27 AM
I know this sounds crazy to people in california who have been through them, but I'd love to be in one just once to see what it's like.

You know what, that doesn't sound crazy at all. It is a feeling unlike any other. :yes:

In hopes of not jinxing myself, I used to live up in Washington on some islands near Seattle and now I live in So. Cal and I've experienced WAY more earthquakes up in Washington than here!

Course, people not from tornado ally say the same thing about tornados. And they probably get the same reaction I will for saying this, which is,

Never, ever, ever, ever do I even want to see the hint of a tornado! I hate them, the way they look just seems to go against nature! They scare the S*** outta me!

mabudonicus
04-19-2008, 11:36 AM
Me and Elf were on a bus in the middle of the praries when I looked out the bus window and saw a funnel cloud forming (took a picture since I was pretty sure we were about to see something impressive)

It came straight down and made a full-on funnel, the sky went dark and then everything went MAD, the bus got the CRAP knocked out of it by HUGE hailstones which were coming horizontally from all directions, something busted some part of the bus roof and water started pouring in, everyone on the bus sat in silence fro about 10 pretty frightening minutes as the bus pulled over and we just kinda hoped we wouldn't get hit by the actual twister

Needless to say we didn't die, but it was DAMN scary.

We get quite a few earthquakes around here but most you'd have to be lying on the ground somewhere far away from any roads in order to notice them
:bored: Iso&Baws
The local drive in got one of its screens torn down by a FREAK tornado while showing the movie "Twister", no joke

bobafrett
04-20-2008, 06:56 AM
Never, ever, ever, ever do I even want to see the hint of a tornado! I hate them, the way they look just seems to go against nature! They scare the S*** outta me!

We had a huge windstorm here last summer. They weren't sure initially if it was a tornado, but it was what was described as "microbursts". We lost two large trees in our backyard, and power was out for three days or so. The thing is, I didn't know this was going on, so I am out driving in this, and I started noticing huge trees laying across roads. I went to work and had one delivery, but it had been made just prior to the power loss at the pizza ria.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-29-2008, 03:43 PM
Just as I felt another aftershock, hope no one lost anything or was hurt from today's temblor. It was centered maybe about 15 miles away from my place.

[edit: that recent aftershock was a 3.4... check out this site for USGA reports for Nevada and California] Check for Shakin' Places (http://quake.usgs.gov/recenteqs/)

Tycho
07-29-2008, 04:41 PM
Huh. I felt this but dismissed it as I thought it might be my cat jumping around on my bed and I went back to sleep.

I woke only for the brief thought of implementing my earthquake emergency plan which would involve getting down their cat-carrier from the closet and being prepared to pack them in it and get out of my building fast.

Except for doorframes, I don't really have a safe place to "duck and cover." My dining room table is GLASS and that's the last thing I want to be under.

Ji'dai
07-29-2008, 04:58 PM
5.4... I thought that was pretty mild for you SoCal folks.

We had a tremor here a week or so ago, near the epicenter of the quake we had last spring, but I didn't feel it at all.

Here, we've just had to contend with floods (early June) and thunderstorms (all through July) with destructive winds.

TeeEye7
07-29-2008, 09:21 PM
5.4... I thought that was pretty mild for you SoCal folks.

Nope. That magnitude in an attention-getter, and cause for concern.

I'm a little over a hundred miles north, but some folks in the south part of town felt a bit of it. I didn't or didn't notice. We have a house being built across the street and they've been pouring concrete most of the day. A lot of rumbling and noise from the trucks easily would have masked it.

figrin bran
07-29-2008, 10:15 PM
I didn't feel it while at work though I did hear some rattling and just assumed it was the construction crew working outside.

Back home, I had a few items topple to the floor like Masterpiece Optimus Prime and the Lego Well of Souls (the Ark must've caused it!) but that's about it.

JediTricks
07-29-2008, 10:41 PM
I was working on the Hasbro SDCC panel writeup when it hit, and up here by Griffith Park, as well as being on the top story, 4th floor, of my apartment building, it was a whopper. I'd say about 30% of my displayed collection was tossed about, much of it heavily. I had to hold onto the monitor to keep it from violently flinging itself off the desk (no exaggeration). It wiped out nearly every freestanding figure on my desk, flung some of my Titaniums off my entertainment center, knocked down a lot of ROTS clones but little else on my main SW display, however my Saga shelf (the only line that got its own shelf, because it largely sucked) was DECIMATED thanks to cheap ikea furniture swaying too much (and stupid poses). On my Gunship, Padme is now leaning forward into a figure's back, and Obi-Wan is down, but the rest of the figures are surprisingly normal. The AT-AP toppled. A large LEGO motorcycle came down right where my head would be if I was still in bed (and if I wasn't on SDCC time, I would have been!). A few things in the closet toppled but not too bad in there. The living room was the most painful because half my Alternators ended up either on their backs or dropping 5 feet, and I haven't checked for damage yet. Masterpiece Starscream had slipped off his crappy flying bot mode stand, but was hanging on by the tiniest of margins (I had planned for MP Prime's earthquake readiness, and thankfully he held up perfectly). Most of my boxed and loose vehicles remained undisturbed, but my Snowspeeder wiped out my 4 LOTR figures which knocked over the Ep 2 Jedi Starfighter which was pushing the ESB X-wing off its shelf and bending a cannon, but I was able to save that from hitting the floor. Looking around, it appears I have even more toppled figures than I first thought, and it's going to take days to track this stuff down. To be honest, I'm not even sure anymore if I want to bother restoring it all.

Oh, and my 50+ Bandai MSIA Gundam figures all on 1 shelf, no troubles. Weird. And I had been planning to take them down! :p

Except for doorframes, I don't really have a safe place to "duck and cover." My dining room table is GLASS and that's the last thing I want to be under.Doorways are no longer a viable option for safety. Modern apartments and homes aren't built with the need for super-strong door frames as more of the wall is sharing the load, so the doorways are no more secure than any other native part of the room.

El Chuxter
07-29-2008, 11:13 PM
I felt nothing, which is weird, since folks in Palm Springs (about 30 minutes past me, in the same rough line from LA) felt it.

figrin bran
07-29-2008, 11:33 PM
Wow, JT, I'm just blocks from you as you know and it wasn't nearly as bad for me though I'm only on the 2nd (and top) story of my apartment building.

Only the floor of my Lego Well of Souls stayed intact while the walls are scattered in pieces across the floor. I'm not sure when I'll want to sit down to rebuild the temple and it even makes me question just how much Lego I want to buy in the future. I had Slave 1 tumble a few months ago, tracked down all the pieces but still haven't rebuilt it yet.

Now interestingly enough, 3 of my JLU 10" figures - Supes, Wonder Woman and Batman fell. Supes and WW tumbled to the floor while Bats fell a bit but landed on top of a nearby box. Guess he shot out a grappling batarang in time.

Neuroleptic
07-30-2008, 08:40 AM
Wow, JT, sounds like that may be the perfect opportunity to make some room in your collection for new stuff . . .

I do belive I'd be furious if I had to re-arange and assess for damage that much stuff.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-30-2008, 11:09 AM
Here in Rancho Cucamonga, I was just about to make a phone call, felt the first jolt, realized I was in the kitchen (lots of non-locking cabinets) and moved to the doorway (I don't care what they say, it still should be safer than being near my glass coffee table, CD shelf, outside window, stereo, lamps, etc.).

When checking for debris/damage (really was none, just things that fell over), I noticed that two books fell off my Star Wars bookshelves and into my trash can. The titles? Last two books of the Legacy series! :rolleyes: Are God and Mother Nature telling us something? ;)

JediTricks
07-30-2008, 02:24 PM
That is weird Bran. I suppose you're in the lowlands part of the area while I'm further up the slope on the hill, so maybe there's just more movement here from that. My collection is decimated though, I look around and what was already a mess is now a disaster. I really am thinking about packing it all up instead of fixing it, but at that point it'd really be the end of the road for me and SW, and I just don't want to make that kind of decision rashly.

Tycho
07-31-2008, 04:21 AM
What? JT?

I can't believe I'm hearing that from YOU of all people!

I was just wondering if you'd gone out and gotten yourself a Falcon by now, as you seemed to like playing with my ship while you were here.

You're the last person I'd suspect to throw in the towel.

However, at Wal-Mart on the release-night, if I recall correctly, there was one guy with his collector friend who said he was NOT a collector, but just wanted to buy the Millennium Falcon, and the appropriate figures that go with it, for his own enjoyment. I'm sure that vehicle gets a few of those purchases by one-time-only-buyers.

Droid
07-31-2008, 04:23 PM
That is weird Bran. I suppose you're in the lowlands part of the area while I'm further up the slope on the hill, so maybe there's just more movement here from that. My collection is decimated though, I look around and what was already a mess is now a disaster. I really am thinking about packing it all up instead of fixing it, but at that point it'd really be the end of the road for me and SW, and I just don't want to make that kind of decision rashly.

Well what did you decide? Are you giving up on Star Wars? I was SHOCKED to read that from you!

JediTricks
08-02-2008, 01:08 PM
What? JT?

I can't believe I'm hearing that from YOU of all people!

I was just wondering if you'd gone out and gotten yourself a Falcon by now, as you seemed to like playing with my ship while you were here.

You're the last person I'd suspect to throw in the towel.

However, at Wal-Mart on the release-night, if I recall correctly, there was one guy with his collector friend who said he was NOT a collector, but just wanted to buy the Millennium Falcon, and the appropriate figures that go with it, for his own enjoyment. I'm sure that vehicle gets a few of those purchases by one-time-only-buyers.Friday at Comic-Con showed me how bad things can be in this hobby, how no matter what one does, the best laid plans can be torn asunder to leave one feeling empty and alone. Then to come back with those thoughts only to have the bulk of my collection torn apart while I'm thinking of quitting only reinforces the negative feelings. I still don't know where I'm going to be in a few months, right now I'm still buying to keep up with my collection until I decide, but I haven't stood any figures back up which is a very bad sign. The Falcon could be the last SW toy I buy, and that will actually be my grandma buying it for me for my birthday at the end of the month.

Well what did you decide? Are you giving up on Star Wars? I was SHOCKED to read that from you!I haven't decided, I'm pretty much torn right down the middle. I define myself in part by my collecting, it fuels my imagination, but the rewards are dwindling and the drawbacks are numerous, and I'm running out of room. Plus, it's been a major burden trying to catch up with my life while simultaneously trying to catch up with SDCC reporting (no internet at Tycho's really demolished my plans there) and helping others with other stuff. And it's not just Star Wars, but Transformers as well. So for now, I'm kinda in a "wait and see how I feel" mode, I won't make a rash decision.

Thanks for the concern though, gang.

Neuroleptic
08-02-2008, 02:55 PM
Ya know JT, I went through that about three years ago. I was just not happy with the vast majority of my collection and didn't like much of anything coming out. So I boxed it all up and sold about 90 percent of it on E-bay.

About six months later, I decided to start again, but now I collect only loose figures, and only ones I want, AND only ones related to specific topics.

I found that the short break, combined with re-starting with more of a focus helped me to enjoy it again (even more so than I had in the past) and actualy made it a little more challanging.

Sometimes a break dosn't hurt.

. . . and it's a lot easyer to stand them back up when my wife bumps into the book case.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-02-2008, 04:42 PM
So I boxed it all up and sold about 90 percent of it on E-bay.

. . . and it's a lot easyer to stand them back up when my wife bumps into the book case.You know, I think eBay has a subsection under "Wives," "Non-Bookcase Bumping." :rolleyes:

Friday at Comic-Con showed me how bad things can be in this hobby, how no matter what one does, the best laid plans can be torn asunder to leave one feeling empty and alone.I haven't been back to CC the last two years from my experiences there. Sad when a gathering of fun turns out to be a fathering of gun (sorry, Just too darn depressed to have a better play on words :cry: ). :D

Tycho
08-02-2008, 04:47 PM
Friday at Comic-Con showed me how bad things can be in this hobby, how no matter what one does, the best laid plans can be torn asunder to leave one feeling empty and alone.

What did you mean there? Please explain. I didn't go to Comic Con on Friday.

Droid
08-02-2008, 10:36 PM
If you quit buying stuff would you cut back in your time and effort around here? Stop doing the reporting? Hang out with us less?!

JediTricks
08-03-2008, 04:57 AM
Ya know JT, I went through that about three years ago. I was just not happy with the vast majority of my collection and didn't like much of anything coming out. So I boxed it all up and sold about 90 percent of it on E-bay.

About six months later, I decided to start again, but now I collect only loose figures, and only ones I want, AND only ones related to specific topics.

I found that the short break, combined with re-starting with more of a focus helped me to enjoy it again (even more so than I had in the past) and actualy made it a little more challanging.

Sometimes a break dosn't hurt.

. . . and it's a lot easyer to stand them back up when my wife bumps into the book case.For me, if I break, it'll be nigh-permanent. I'll stick with the key pieces I "need" and the rest will go for pennies because my collection is a loose collection. I broke from Star Trek and really haven't put any effort into restarting that collection (I didn't sell it off though, just boxed it up mostly), and so far I've not come back to LEGO while simultaneously not felt good about that line.

And if I had women knocking down my figures, I'd have to make them learn all about which character is as they stood them up and posed them right as punishment. ;) "That is Wat Tambor, he is the foreman of the techno union, one of the members of the confederacy of independent systems who committed his forces to Count Dooku's banner, thus helping to usher in the Clone Wars. He had to adjust his chest when his vocoder scrambled one of the things he was saying to Dooku. His forces' ships are those rocket-ship ones that the Republic Gunships are able to destroy with Anakin's advice. Wat Tambor was killed by Anakin Skywalker on Mustafar once the members of the confederacy were deemed of no importance to Skywalker's new Sith master, Emperor Palpatine. Wat stands in front of that control panel and holds his right arm to his chest." :crazed: (Yes, Wat Tambor is among the fallen.)

I haven't been back to CC the last two years from my experiences there. Sad when a gathering of fun turns out to be a fathering of gun (sorry, Just too darn depressed to have a better play on words :cry: ). :DWhy depressed? And that was pretty terrible.

What did you mean there? Please explain. I didn't go to Comic Con on Friday.No good parking, no good swag, way overcrowded, every panel I went to was capped before I could get in, had to bum lunch off of Dawn to help with the endless work, had to sit through 2 boring panels to cover the misery that was Hasbro's 35-minute slideshow race, didn't hang out with any friends for more than a couple minutes, decided to wait as proxy for a friend in her line which was lonely, then decided to wait in a super long line for 3 panels I didn't want to see only to catch the 2 evening panels I did and for no reason as I found out later, the pretzel dog I bought was frozen in the middle, my evening plans went askew so I did my panels alone which wasn't half as good as with a friend, and by that day I had a TON of SSG work queuing up that I couldn't do because no internet at your place and no power outlet most of the time I was free to do that stuff.

If you quit buying stuff would you cut back in your time and effort around here? Stop doing the reporting? Hang out with us less?!I was kinda hoping nobody would ask that, because the answer is likely "yes". In part, I've only stuck around here out of loyalty to you guys, my Star Wars buddies, making sure that you get represented in the fandom to folks like Hasbro, and that the forums don't get run into the ground. But as my LEGO interests have slipped the past year, so has my participation there, and I suspect it'd be the same if it went down that way on the overall.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-03-2008, 02:38 PM
And if I had women knocking down my figures, I'd have to make them learn all about which character is as they stood them up and posed them right as punishment. ;)

Why depressed? And that was pretty terrible.

I was kinda hoping nobody would ask that, because the answer is likely "yes". In part, I've only stuck around here out of loyalty to you guys, my Star Wars buddies, making sure that you get represented in the fandom to folks like Hasbro, and that the forums don't get run into the ground.Hee hee! Classic!

I was depressed because I knew you'd hate my pun attempt... :cry: :rolleyes:

Now I feel more depressed because you'd leave... :missyoumostscarecrow:

JediTricks
08-04-2008, 09:34 PM
Hee hee! Classic!We may have to turn that into a fan film.

I was depressed because I knew you'd hate my pun attempt... :cry: :rolleyes:And well you should be. ;)

Now I feel more depressed because you'd leave... :missyoumostscarecrow:Aww, that's sad. Now I'm sad.

figrin bran
08-05-2008, 12:35 AM
JT, say it ain't so!

Hopefully I'm not just speaking for myself when I say that your hard work and keen insight have greatly enriched our collecting experience. Were you to leave us, that would be a tremendous loss indeed.

You're going to have to pick up all the toys off the floor anyhow so that shouldn't have any bearing on you wanting or not wanting to collect. And SDCC is such a ridiculously insane environment anyhow and in no way indicative of the joys of collecting. If I were just starting out collecting and went there, I'd think I would want to find another hobby.

As for that Friday at SDCC, it looks like a good thing that I didn't come down. I heard from someone else that the Amtrak I would've taken down there departed about 30-45 minutes late from Union Station. They had to detach the business class cart for some reason. I was in no shape to catch the 6 am train again so had I taken the 8 am which was the aforementioned delayed train, I would've arrived probably close to 12:30 and by the time I got to the convention center, would've had no shot at getting into the Hasbro SW panel. Which I guess I didn't miss out on much.

JediTricks
08-05-2008, 12:44 AM
Well, I still haven't made any decisions. On the lazy side of the issue, I really don't want to pick up, track down, and re-pose over 100 figures, it'd be easier to put 'em in a bin but I don't want to leave them in a box forever either.

Thanks for the kind words. :) You guys in the forums really do keep me going.

Part of me had a great time at SDCC, and if it weren't for the con I wouldn't be driving today, I wouldn't have made a close friend last year or a new friend this year. But another part definitely felt like Wed through Fri at the show was a downward freefall, and the amount of cash I put out was over the top.

Dang, you really dodged the bullet with that Friday train! I loved taking the train last year, but compared to the convenience and fun of driving, there's no way I'd take the train again unless I could afford to rent a car and drive it back (the train was fine for heading to SDCC, but coming back with the giant bag of goodies sucked, and around-town sucks on the trolley despite what Tycho claims, it's slow and you have to interchange sometimes, and you're often on your feet after when you REALLY don't want to). The modern train I took down there also had nice amenities, but without those amenities I don't think it would have been so great. Plus, it costs a fortune now! What, $70 for a 1-way trip? You really could rent a car and do that drive for that price, and I drove back from SD in an hour 50 despite a 15 mile accidental detour, the train is nearly twice that time.

But if you had made it on Friday, I had an extra saved seat that didn't end up getting used, could have gotten in that way.

figrin bran
08-05-2008, 12:57 AM
Well, there's nothing wrong with having some of your collection in storage bins as I can certainly attest to. I know we all have romanticized notions of having everything out on display but for most of us, it's a pipe dream.

With a 20% discount, I was able to get a round trip for $54.40. For some reason, when I tried to book for that Friday of the Con a few weeks later, they would no longer accept the code and so I didn't book beforehand and left it open as to whether I'd go on that day or not.

As for the trolleys, Tycho's never mentioned how cramped they can get and how small the seats are. By comparison, our Metro subways and buses feel almost luxurious! (can't believe I just said that)

TeeEye7
08-05-2008, 01:20 AM
I vote for a "Pick 'Em Up Party" at JT's!

It's mission is twofold: we pick up and re-pose JT's collection, AND we pick up JT's morale.

Like many others have said, JT has done tons of stuff for all of us for the better part of a decade (or more! He's gone the extra mile for my son and me for years!). It's the least we can do for him! :yes:

I'm not afraid to unleash my shenanigans! I've got MabuCon2008 under my belt!

Tycho
08-05-2008, 08:27 AM
I get a SEAT on the trolley, like 90% of the time. I have to sit down, as I'm not as strong as I used to be, and I get dizzy standing through the trolley's motion (and especially stopping). So I'm very agressive and fast at getting seats and I figure out where to get on board on the trolley as well. The front or very back tend to not collect as many people because folks congregate in the middle of the trolley stop. I just avoid doing exactly what everyone else is doing.

Then if I have to stand, I'm still slim I guess, so I dart in and snag a seat as soon as someone leaves. I specifically keep an eye out for that. And I'm medically challenged. So I will NOT yeild an available seat to even an old lady or a pregnant woman - I'm taking it. I have just as much need.

As to convenience? I'm used to the system down here. I make sure I ride the special Red Line and it takes me 30 minutes flat and no transfers.

Glad to see you've made some positive changes in your life, JT. If you ponder them, those alone will help you pick your morale up. I sure as heck need something to boost mine right now - though I'm not down on Star Wars.

Droid
08-05-2008, 09:50 AM
JediTricks, it is funny that you are saying some of what you are saying. My collection has made me a little depressed lately. I'll likely start a thread about it when I find the time to type it all. I can understand you cutting back or quitting collecting Star Wars figures. I can also understand you not wanting to do all the reporting, coverage, writeups, etc. anymore. I think we'd all support you in whatever you decide (as though you need our blessing). But I do think we would all miss you around here if you didn't tell us why the latest Smallville was terrible, why the new Star Trek reboot movie will suck, why the new G.I. Joe movie will be a disaster, why Tycho will be wrong to like Transformers 2, or to not just say the Dark Knight was good, but why.

Hope you hang around!

El Chuxter
08-05-2008, 11:14 AM
The SD trolley is a nice system, but it's kinda slow. You'd think they'd double the number of cars around areas when major events are going on. Like, say, downtown around Comic-Con or Padres games.

Tycho
08-05-2008, 03:10 PM
Droid: Transformers 2 is going to be awesome! Like Michael-Bay-awesome!

JediTricks
08-09-2008, 07:03 PM
Well, there's nothing wrong with having some of your collection in storage bins as I can certainly attest to. I know we all have romanticized notions of having everything out on display but for most of us, it's a pipe dream. The thing is, I already have a bunch of those stupid bins in my apartment, and now a few on the balcony too. Once stuff goes in there, generally it goes to die.

With a 20% discount, I was able to get a round trip for $54.40. For some reason, when I tried to book for that Friday of the Con a few weeks later, they would no longer accept the code and so I didn't book beforehand and left it open as to whether I'd go on that day or not. Right, I dunno why I was thinking $70 each way, it was half that last year. Not a bad price, but I spent less on gas for the whole 6-day trip.

As for the trolleys, Tycho's never mentioned how cramped they can get and how small the seats are. By comparison, our Metro subways and buses feel almost luxurious! (can't believe I just said that)Yeah, he really oversold the concept of the trolley at me last year, and the reality was a far cry from things. While I dumped $60 on parking at the con, the ability to drop my swag off halfway through, and to get off my feet and listen to my own tunes, not to mention get where I'm going in 13 minutes instead of 45, really was worth it (I had been planning to take the trolley on Thursday, but Steve's complications meant I had to get in early and there was NO WAY I'd waste a half hour I could be sleeping on that trolley business).

And the cost, LA has the pricing down all over San Diego as their transit pricing is by zone and it's complicated as hell. The newer SD trolley cars are actually decent, but you're right, the red line subway here is more comfortable, you're not as jammed into someone's face all the time.

I vote for a "Pick 'Em Up Party" at JT's!

It's mission is twofold: we pick up and re-pose JT's collection, AND we pick up JT's morale.

Like many others have said, JT has done tons of stuff for all of us for the better part of a decade (or more! He's gone the extra mile for my son and me for years!). It's the least we can do for him! :yes:

I'm not afraid to unleash my shenanigans! I've got MabuCon2008 under my belt!I appreciate the thought, but it's not as simple as that, there's a lot of side-issues at play that merely culminated in the earthquake. Plus, the only pick-up here is to move out of this apartment, it's awful. :p

I get a SEAT on the trolley, like 90% of the time. I have to sit down, as I'm not as strong as I used to be, and I get dizzy standing through the trolley's motion (and especially stopping). So I'm very agressive and fast at getting seats and I figure out where to get on board on the trolley as well. The front or very back tend to not collect as many people because folks congregate in the middle of the trolley stop. I just avoid doing exactly what everyone else is doing. Then if I have to stand, I'm still slim I guess, so I dart in and snag a seat as soon as someone leaves. I specifically keep an eye out for that. And I'm medically challenged. So I will NOT yeild an available seat to even an old lady or a pregnant woman - I'm taking it. I have just as much need. Yeah, that sounds like a real blast fighting crowds for the last seat, jammed up in some creepy stranger's face all invading your personal space... wait a minute, maybe you're the creepy stranger! ;)

As to convenience? I'm used to the system down here. I make sure I ride the special Red Line and it takes me 30 minutes flat and no transfers.35 minutes, plus the wait of up to 10 minutes for these things (I know they claim 5, but last year each one was over that). Or the 13 minutes it took me to get from your door to the Hilton parking lot next door to the con, and I don't have to stand and wait for any trolley.

Glad to see you've made some positive changes in your life, JT. If you ponder them, those alone will help you pick your morale up. I sure as heck need something to boost mine right now - though I'm not down on Star Wars.I'm confused as to how you see "positive changes" from me in this thread.

JediTricks, it is funny that you are saying some of what you are saying. My collection has made me a little depressed lately. I'll likely start a thread about it when I find the time to type it all. I can understand you cutting back or quitting collecting Star Wars figures. I can also understand you not wanting to do all the reporting, coverage, writeups, etc. anymore. I think we'd all support you in whatever you decide (as though you need our blessing). But I do think we would all miss you around here if you didn't tell us why the latest Smallville was terrible, why the new Star Trek reboot movie will suck, why the new G.I. Joe movie will be a disaster, why Tycho will be wrong to like Transformers 2, or to not just say the Dark Knight was good, but why.

Hope you hang around!Thank you, I appreciate that a lot. And I would hope someone would take up the mantle of expounding on why stuff sucks if I left. ;) I'm definitely getting the Falcon at the end of the month, but then what? I dunno. So weird having long-timers like us feeling confused and frustrated by how collecting is, but maybe after 13 years it's important to take a hard look at these sorts of things.

The SD trolley is a nice system, but it's kinda slow. You'd think they'd double the number of cars around areas when major events are going on. Like, say, downtown around Comic-Con or Padres games.The people on the transit board are nuts, there's such a weird routing for the trolleys, and the buses are way confusing when you see it laid out, and the pricing is crazy, and then they make special lines that it turns out don't run extra and don't run as late as they need to.

figrin bran
08-11-2008, 01:06 AM
Since we're talking about the SD trolley, I wonder if I would've been better off walking from the train station to the convention center? It didn't look like that long of a walk.

Tycho, sure you can always get a seat because you have a legitimate right to one. However, I'm a chronic seat yielder whenever I take public transportation so I often have to count on not getting a seat.

Going to the con, I took the front car and then another guy, looked a bit like Dustin Roberts, maybe it was even him and he had press registration though I didn't see his name, took the seat next to me and I felt very squished. Leaving the con is even worse because not only is it crowded but everyone has bagloads of stuff.

Assuming I take the Amtrak down there next year, I might consider walking as it looks like it might just be a 15 min. walk for me.

JediTricks
08-12-2008, 10:23 PM
It's an 8/10ths of a mile walk, the same one I have when I walk to the Vista theater, so it's probably not a bad walk - 15 mins at the most, the trolley with wait is roughly the same - but keep in mind that your feet will hate you for that walk after a day at the convention center (and I believe it's slightly uphill, to boot).

Bel-Cam Jos
08-12-2008, 10:26 PM
(and I believe it's slightly uphill, to boot).Unless you pay the extra fee, it's uphill both ways. :pleased:

figrin bran
08-12-2008, 11:41 PM
It's an 8/10ths of a mile walk, the same one I have when I walk to the Vista theater, so it's probably not a bad walk - 15 mins at the most, the trolley with wait is roughly the same - but keep in mind that your feet will hate you for that walk after a day at the convention center (and I believe it's slightly uphill, to boot).

Well, my walk to the Vista is uphill. Of course, it's also but a fraction of your walk over there.

All of this could be moot, however, as I'll most likely try to book a room so I can stay for 2 days at least. I don't think I could take 3 or more days there!

figrin bran
08-15-2008, 02:23 AM
It looks like the earthquake claimed a casualty in one of MP Starscream's fingers. It's such a small piece and it probably landed in a pile of clutter that I'm not sure if I'll find it again.

Tycho
08-15-2008, 11:56 PM
Hey: I sent you that Starscream! Find his finger! :upset: ;)

figrin bran
08-16-2008, 01:03 AM
Miraculously, I found the finger!!! Rest easy now Tycho

To celebrate, I held a brief dogfight between MP Screamer and Universe Powerglide. :p

I think I'll keep Screamer displayed in jet mode now just to avoid having missing fingers again (Why were these made detachable????).

Tycho
08-16-2008, 03:37 PM
I just got Powerglide today. He is awesome! Of course I don't transform my all-too-delicate Masterpiece jet sculpts. My Japanese Starscream is in robot mode (I transformed him once) and my Skywarp was left as he shipped - as a jet.

I think I'll get Skywarp down later and he and Powerglide might have a dogfight over here.

Powerglide is SWEET! I'm so glad I was able to return Wingblade and be able to purchase the A-10 I really wanted in the first place.

JediTricks
08-17-2008, 02:12 AM
Well, my walk to the Vista is uphill. Of course, it's also but a fraction of your walk over there. Yeah, but it's probably not even that steep a grade as your walk to the Vista.

All of this could be moot, however, as I'll most likely try to book a room so I can stay for 2 days at least. I don't think I could take 3 or more days there!Trust me, 4 days is the way to do it. Going Wednesday is the chore, it gets the hard buys out of the way (or the early sights, your choice), Thursday and Friday are interesting but a mess, and Saturday is the cresting where everything finally comes together. Both years, that's how it was for me.

It looks like the earthquake claimed a casualty in one of MP Starscream's fingers. It's such a small piece and it probably landed in a pile of clutter that I'm not sure if I'll find it again.Ugh, not a surprise either, those crappy ball joints are a HORRID little design just made for breakage.

Wait, you found it? It wasn't broken??? WOW!!!

When I first got Powerglide a few weeks ago, I was on the phone with Tycho telling him how rugged it was, I was tossing it in the air (not that he could see it) and the second time I missed the catch - figure didn't even de-transform!

figrin bran
08-17-2008, 02:19 AM
Trust me, 4 days is the way to do it. Going Wednesday is the chore, it gets the hard buys out of the way (or the early sights, your choice), Thursday and Friday are interesting but a mess, and Saturday is the cresting where everything finally comes together. Both years, that's how it was for me.

Ugh, not a surprise either, those crappy ball joints are a HORRID little design just made for breakage.

Wait, you found it? It wasn't broken??? WOW!!!

When I first got Powerglide a few weeks ago, I was on the phone with Tycho telling him how rugged it was, I was tossing it in the air (not that he could see it) and the second time I missed the catch - figure didn't even de-transform!

And yet he was still unconvinced and alluded to a fear of breakage when bending the wings upward.

I don't think I could take 4 days of SDCC! 2 days, sure. 3 would be stretching it and 4 would be too much for me.

JediTricks
08-17-2008, 02:44 AM
If you were gonna do 3 days, do Thurs-Sat, Wednesday is no fun because it's only 3 hours and there are no panels.

Tycho
08-17-2008, 10:56 AM
Thurs-Fri-Sat is usually good for me. I skip Sunday. But it doesn't cost you any more if you get the 4-day pass early, WITH sneak preview night.

JediTricks
08-18-2008, 10:43 PM
Well, obviously it'd cost him more simply because he'd have to pay for a hotel room for Wed night. But you are right in that going 3 days costs the same as getting the 4-day pass that comes with the bonus preview night, and it's easier to deal with because getting daily passes can be a chore.

figrin bran
08-19-2008, 12:28 AM
Thanks JT and Tycho, I'll keep all of this in mind.

So what was this thread originally about anyhow? :p

Bel-Cam Jos
08-19-2008, 10:36 AM
So what was this thread originally about anyhow? :pActually, I hijacked the thread about the Ohio earthquake to connect it to the LA area one a little bit ago. Must be those crazy shifting techtonic plates... :yes:

Tycho
08-21-2008, 01:01 PM
How about those Chinese plates?

Bel-Cam Jos
03-25-2009, 11:34 AM
I have felt (pun intended) that I've been feeling more little earthquakes lately, and the news reported that several have been based near the Salton Sea (probably 100+ miles away from here) over the past few days, which apparently is on a southern connector to the infamous San Andreas Fault. Maybe Mother Nature is mad that her best shaker has been linked to violent video games...

El Chuxter
03-25-2009, 12:01 PM
Frighteningly enough, that fault has apparently been dormant for around 300 years, and is overdue for a big shaker.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-26-2009, 03:04 PM
I seem to remember from a geography course that the Salton Sea was created from an earthquake that let the run-off water collect in the basin it left there.

Tycho
03-30-2009, 08:42 PM
No the Salton Sea is the sight of the landing of a huge alien spacecraft that was used to transport North American dinosaurs off the planet before a giant asteroid hit the earth.

Blue2th
03-30-2009, 10:06 PM
Ah! the Ark of dinosaur meat.

Bel-Cam Jos
04-01-2009, 06:52 PM
You know how the publishing cartels will never give the true truth... :rolleyes:

Tycho
04-08-2009, 02:09 AM
This thread now looks like a joke next to the Italian earthquake.

Geeze. Those poor folks never had a chance, I guess.

It makes me rethink living in California a little. But I think quakes are less frequent than Midwest tornadoes or Southern hurricanes and Northeast snowstorms.

No. I'll stay in SoCal thank you. I'd suppose Italy is equally as appealing to Italians. (I've been there, but I'd rather be Californian any day of the week.)

Ji'dai
04-08-2009, 09:32 AM
The ironic thing is that Italians were not only forewarned but they did have a chance to prepare or evacuate several weeks prior to the quake. A scientist there was using a new method to predict earthquakes by measuring radon gas levels/emissions and discovered that a major quake could be possible. He even had vans with loudspeakers attached to them drive through the streets in an attempt to warn people.

CNN story (http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/europe/04/06/italy.quake.prediction/index.html?iref=24hours)

Tycho
04-08-2009, 10:59 AM
Yeah, I heard about that. It's scary how similar that idea is to the global warming story.

Bel-Cam Jos
04-11-2009, 09:05 AM
The CA-NV earthquakes map website I frequently view If I haven't posted the link before (http://quake.usgs.gov/recenteqs/) showed 596 different earthquakes from the last month, with only 12 or so from NV. Scary.

JediTricks
04-17-2009, 04:05 PM
I have that bookmarked as well. :D I usually rush to it late at night on the laptop or the PS3 when I'm watching tv and a little one hits.

Bel-Cam Jos
04-18-2009, 09:22 AM
I have that bookmarked as well. :D I'm a moderator there for its forum section as Geig-Cam Jos. :rolleyes: Spammers there always try to hock their "special prices" on quake insurance, collectibles adhesive, DVDs of Superman: The Movie, downloads of "Shakin'," etc. ;)

JediTricks
04-18-2009, 06:20 PM
I was at my grandma's the other day, I'm helping her with her bills, and I came across a delinquent bill for some piece of insurance. I asked her and my mom, neither knew, so my mom called up her uncle since he's the broker, turns out it is earthquake insurance. That stuff is expensive as hell! Nearly as expensive as her condo insurance which covers a ton of other stuff.

El Chuxter
04-18-2009, 08:11 PM
That's why we don't have it, as much as I'd like it. It cost something like double our homeowner's insurance, I guess since we're pretty close to the fault here.

TeeEye7
04-18-2009, 08:32 PM
We've got it, and if memory serves, it's about $700 a year. Should the unthinkable happen, our deductible is about 20 grand which is pretty cheap compared to buying a new house. We have it because our downtown area was leveled in 1952 (and anthing can happen...). My in-laws' house was red tagged after the Northridge earthquake in '94 (they lived in Woodland Hills). Thankfully, they had their house covered.

Bel-Cam Jos
04-18-2009, 10:43 PM
I think I read somewhere that only flood insurance is higher than e-quake. Or maybe that was tornado... :confused:

JediTricks
04-19-2009, 02:16 PM
That's why we don't have it, as much as I'd like it. It cost something like double our homeowner's insurance, I guess since we're pretty close to the fault here.Dang, that sucks. My grandma's is 1/8th cheaper than her homeowners insurance, and when the '94 quake hit, her condo didn't even have any damage so she's never gotten a dime out of it. Still, in the 25 years she's lived there, she's only paid about $8500 or so in quake insurance, a payout if something happened would be a good investment.

We've got it, and if memory serves, it's about $700 a year. Should the unthinkable happen, our deductible is about 20 grand which is pretty cheap compared to buying a new house. We have it because our downtown area was leveled in 1952 (and anthing can happen...). My in-laws' house was red tagged after the Northridge earthquake in '94 (they lived in Woodland Hills). Thankfully, they had their house covered.I never considered the deductible, but I guess that does make sense.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-02-2009, 08:59 AM
The CA-NV earthquakes map website I frequently view If I haven't posted the link before (http://quake.usgs.gov/recenteqs/) showed 596 different earthquakes from the last month, with only 12 or so from NV. Scary.Checking it this morning, it's up to 734 quakes (and just I realized that it shows earthquakes within the past WEEK, not month). And there was a 4.4 near the LA area yesterday, with a 3.something aftershock. Concerned?

Bel-Cam Jos
05-05-2009, 10:38 PM
Up to 780 earthquakes when I checked today. It's seems to have waves moving steadily from the US-MEX border north.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-18-2009, 08:21 PM
We had a 4.7 and a 3.1 aftershock last night around 8pm near LA. I felt it here about 60 miles away.

figrin bran
05-18-2009, 10:39 PM
I felt the earthquake (was in the restroom at the time) but not the aftershock.

TeeEye7
05-19-2009, 07:36 PM
4.0 or so in downtown LA today.

Everyone OK?

figrin bran
05-20-2009, 12:46 AM
It was actually closer to Los Angeles International Airport and I didn't feel it at all.

JediTricks
05-20-2009, 02:51 AM
I felt both of these, the first one was quite exciting, had an unusual shape to it and lasted a while, I actually got worried a little up here on the 4th floor of this big apartment building. Today's 4.0 aftershock wasn't too shabby but was much quicker and calmer. Very few of my figures got knocked down this time, mainly because I never picked them up from the last earthquake so they are already down. The only exception is the Ep 2 shelf, which never seems to handle these well as it's on a different piece of furniture. Also, my boxed Art Asylum premiere Captain Kirk fell, which was a total surprise.

El Chuxter
05-20-2009, 08:32 AM
No. I was crushed by debris and died.

TeeEye7
05-20-2009, 10:17 AM
No. I was crushed by debris and died.

Don't you just hate selective earthquakes? It hits LA, then magically zooms to the Inland Empire to kill Chux.

I'm glad the Angelinos are OK. I think the Ghost of El Chuxter will be heard from soon, too.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-20-2009, 10:56 PM
No. I was crushed by debris and died.That explains your missing avatar and location info. Does anyone have a jpeg of fallen cans in a grocery store for him?

A lot of little quakes are appearing on the website, many centered in the LA-Palm Springs vicinity. More than lately. Scary.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-01-2009, 06:37 PM
The CA/NV website shows 200 less quakes over the last week. But, it seems there are more 2.0 shakers than before. I don't know what any of that means.

Tycho
07-04-2009, 04:55 AM
Supposedly, in Baja California (I saw this on CNN.com's breaking news banner), there was a 6.0 earthquake yesterday in the early morning.

I was up posting right here on SSG and remember, I am in "Alto California" if down south of me is Baja California.

I felt NOTHING. If there was a 6.0 quake that close to where I live, don't you think I should have felt something?

Bel-Cam Jos
07-04-2009, 08:55 AM
Supposedly, in Baja California (I saw this on CNN.com's breaking news banner), there was a 6.0 earthquake yesterday in the early morning.

I was up posting right here on SSG and remember, I am in "Alto California" if down south of me is Baja California.

I felt NOTHING. If there was a 6.0 quake that close to where I live, don't you think I should have felt something?The website I frequently look at doesn't go much below 30 miles past the US/Mexico border, and Baja goes a tad further than that. Maybe it was closer to the tip of the peninsula.

And that very same site shows less than 500 total quakes over the last week, the least I've noticed since I started looking at its data.

Blue2th
07-04-2009, 10:36 AM
I felt NOTHING. If there was a 6.0 quake that close to where I live, don't you think I should have felt something?

Maybe a little empathy? ;)

TeeEye7
07-04-2009, 10:40 AM
We're so broke in California, we can't even afford seismic tremors any more! :(

We're not Baja California, nor Alta California....just fast becoming Nada California.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-05-2009, 09:33 AM
According to the map, there were three 3.0+ quakes about 60 miles south of the border. That's a fair distance to feel, Tycho, in SD. You felt "nothing" about it? I wonder if your feelings on the matter are clear, Lord Tycho. Go to the Command Park (the Super San Diego Extra Inning) await my orders. :rolleyes:

Tycho
07-05-2009, 01:30 PM
In San Diego, the super-extra-inning has yeilded 17 more of them in one game alone THIS YEAR, and it did not result in the Padres winning. :cry:

JediTricks
07-05-2009, 08:24 PM
The website I frequently look at doesn't go much below 30 miles past the US/Mexico border, and Baja goes a tad further than that. Maybe it was closer to the tip of the peninsula.What? You mean the United States'Geological site doesn't have data on Mexico??? ;)

Bel-Cam Jos
07-06-2009, 10:31 AM
What? You mean the United States'Geological site doesn't have data on Mexico??? ;)This must be paranoia about the Gadston Purchase from back in the 1800s... :pleased:

BTW, there are now only 357 eathquakes listed on that site over the last week. That's a drop of about 150 in two days, meaning 5 days ago, there weren't many quakes in CA, northeastern Mexico, and NV at all. Weird.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-22-2009, 07:34 AM
A string of 3.0+ quakes near Baja again lately, including one over 5.0.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-05-2009, 07:30 PM
That website now shows 891 earthquakes in CA and NV the last week. WOW! :eek:

TeeEye7
10-06-2009, 03:08 AM

We had a 5.0 in the mountains east of us a couple of days ago. No damage here, but I'm sure a few ruffled feathers in the forest.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-08-2009, 12:31 AM
I checked it again today, and for the first time since I've been looking at the earthquake website, there were more than 1000 quakes over the last week. :eek: Keeler, a place near Sequoia NP, has had at least two 5.0+, some 4.0+, and many 3.0+ there.

Next week, CA has its second (or more?) annual Great Shakeout, with a statewide disaster drill. Would it be ironic if a big one hit the day before those drills? I sure hope not.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-11-2009, 10:03 AM
Last week when I checked, it reached a high of 1024 quakes, but this morning, it's back down to 746. Weird, weird.

TeeEye7
10-17-2009, 08:20 PM
What do baseball and earthquakes have in common?

http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2009/10/16/us/20091016-EARTHQUAKE_7.html

It's the 20th anniversary of the Loma Prieta earthquake in the Bay Area which halted the 3rd game of the World Series between the Giants and the A's.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-18-2009, 09:49 AM
I remember that day quite well. I saw some footage before a church meeting. That clip of the car getting buckled on the Oakland Bay Bridge still is haunting.

BTW, our Great Shakeout disaster drill at school went fairly well, as far as I saw.

bobafrett
10-18-2009, 11:47 AM

Maybe stuff like that inspires lyrics like "I felt the Earth move under my feet"

Bel-Cam Jos
11-03-2009, 08:01 PM
Over 220 quakes in CA and NV the past day. Several 3.0+ around the Golden State and NW Mexico.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-06-2009, 07:45 AM
Now over 300 shakers in the last three days.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-17-2009, 07:49 PM
Not as many CA quakes lately, but more 3.0+s than recently; even a couple 4.0+s. And there's about four main bunches of quakes throughout the state. Concern?

TeeEye7
11-18-2009, 02:58 AM
Concern?

Nope. The system is just relieving pressure: nice and easy! (Parkfield style). It's they way we should prefer to do business. No Sylmars, Whittiers, Northridges, etc., thank you very much! Just the occasional burp, please.

Tycho
11-27-2009, 05:39 PM
Oh good. I need to set off a small nuclear explosion. I don't mean to cause any earthquakes. My action figures would fall over.

I'm only igniting plutonium to make my Terminator toys look authentic to the movie.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-01-2010, 09:05 AM
More than 20 quakes of at least 3.0 near the US/Mexico border in the last week, including a 5.8 one. Have been over 100 more quakes in CA/NV/Mex the last couple days, too.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-10-2010, 12:03 AM
Northern CA had a 6.5 one the other day, plus several others above 4.0.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-16-2010, 10:03 AM
CA and NV and northern Mexico have had 200+ quakes in the last day or two, several over 3.0.

Bel-Cam Jos
04-05-2010, 07:14 PM
I've been warning you all about those areas in CA and Mexico...

I didn't even feel the Easter 7.2 one (hiding eggs for a hunt, I guess moving around so much, I never noticed any movement).

p.s. Mods With Power, can we merge this thread with the newest quake thread, maybe renaming it something original like... "Earthquakes" or what-not? :confused: :rolleyes:

p.p.s. Quad post! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Bel-Cam Jos
04-10-2010, 09:41 AM
The website had over 3000 :eek: individual earthquakes shown yesterday, with about 2300 of them just in the northern Mexico/south CA area itself. Wow.

p.p.p.s. Penta-post! :D No merge possibilites?

Tycho
04-10-2010, 01:18 PM
The earthquakes are in different areas. I don't think the topics should be merged.

What's happening here is very real to us Southern Californians.

There was another 4.3 earthquake last night about 2:15 am. Coincidentally, I happened to have just come home from my Friday night out and had decided to call JediTricks and we were talking about it, right when the trembler hit.

I imagine that if JT can cause the earth to move, he can merge threads :D but I don't recommend it in this case.

We have a lot of SSGrs living in all parts of the country - with a good amount in SoCal.

Like I said, what's happening in SoCal is very real to us.

Another MidWest Earthquake is not nearly as likely, what with now almost a full week of earth quaking going on out west here.

Bel-Cam Jos
04-10-2010, 05:04 PM
That's why I recommended merging them; it's an old thread with CA and world quakes included over the years. The thread title is now outdated. But they can stay separate, too.

The mountains behind me are right on the San Andreas fault, so I know earthquakes quite well here, seldom by choice!

Bel-Cam Jos
05-17-2010, 01:41 PM
Their website has a new look, and even after the aftershocks from the Mexico quake, there seem to be less indivdual quakes shown (it's now "only" 854 of them).

Tycho
05-23-2010, 01:01 PM
We had 3 earthquakes yesterday morning - out in the desert - that rolled into San Diego in their low 4's. I felt it really quick but decided not to get out of bed.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-23-2010, 01:34 PM
I saw that there were 5+ and 4+ ones around the Mexico area of the 7+ quake.

TeeEye7
06-13-2010, 01:08 AM
Chux, BCJ, Tycho.....

I assume you felt it.......... :Ponder:

I'm assuming you're all OK seeing it was a little feller at 4.4 magnitude...

Tycho
06-13-2010, 04:33 AM
Yeah. I felt it. I was watching the Padres' game on TV and the room just kind of took a jump. It was exactly like that. Really quick - just a jump.

My Arcee Transformer (pack-in with HA Skids) fell over because she was in bike form and it's precariously balanced) but that was about it.

But as with the last few, I instantly was up grabbing my shoes, keys, and phone, preparing to evacuate. But then nothing else happened so I went back to the Padres game.

They didn't even mention it on TV except during the post-game show. Perhaps a pitch for a strike came in too low because the batter jumped to 3 feet taller in that single instant as the earth bounced in SoCal? But nothing else happened.

In that stadium, I doubt you would feel anything less than a 7.0.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-13-2010, 09:37 AM
That explains why the picture frame mysteriously fell off the shelf. I guess I wasn't sitting down at that moment, since I didn't "feel" it was a quake.

El Chuxter
06-14-2010, 11:47 PM
A series of nasty tremblors, with the big one being either 5.9 or 5.7 (it appears the US Geological Survey hasn't decided, as they show both on different pages), right near the border of San Diego and Imperial Counties and Mexico. Felt that sucker all the way up here for several seconds.

I will never get used to this.

Tycho
06-15-2010, 02:53 AM
The quake was felt at PetCo Park.

The Bluejays probably didn't know what it was as some of them might have yelled, "Avalanche!"

Bel-Cam Jos
06-15-2010, 10:18 AM
I've been "feeling" quakes over the last few days, when you look around and don't see anything moving, but the floor felt that way. But I seem to be missing these bigger ones.

JediTricks
06-15-2010, 02:18 PM
That 5.9 at the border last night, I felt it up here in LA, shook the apartment for a few seconds.

Tycho
06-16-2010, 11:50 AM
The last quake felt at PetCo Park was Aaron Cunningham's GRAND SLAM!

That shook all the runners loose :D

Bel-Cam Jos
06-18-2010, 03:11 PM
I've been "feeling" quakes over the last few days, when you look around and don't see anything moving, but the floor felt that way. But I seem to be missing these bigger ones.Unless it's been the breezes that have gusts that've been shaking the home some. Hard to tell. But I am trying to be more aware of sounds and rattles.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-25-2010, 01:37 PM
The US/Mexico border region is having more 3.0+ quakes lately.

p.s. Did I get this post in at 11:38 am PST? :p [edit] Nope. :(

Bel-Cam Jos
06-25-2010, 03:44 PM
We had a local 3.0 shaker (about 15 miles SW of me) today at 11:38am; how'd I miss feeling that one?

JediTricks
06-25-2010, 04:16 PM
We had a local 3.0 shaker (about 15 miles SW of me) today at 11:38am; how'd I miss feeling that one?
What direction was that again? "SW" ...Awesome!

Tycho
06-25-2010, 05:31 PM
I am really worried that Mother Nature will schedule a bad one - and not only that - at the most inconvenient time.

What if I'm playing MLB on the Wii again like during the Easter Quake?

I was able to pause my game and return to try and beat the Dodgers later, but I was too shaken to really concentrate and I had to quit that game in the 7th and not save it as I don't allow losses to L.A. to go on my record.

JediTricks
06-25-2010, 05:37 PM
Buy a battery backup for your Nintendo Wii. You won't likely get one that can also power your big-screen TV, but at least it won't interrupt the console's saving.

They're saying that initial quake down there moved the earth 31 inches, and alleviated stress on the San Andreas fault.

Tycho
06-25-2010, 05:40 PM
alleviated stress on the San Andreas fault.

?

Really?

That would be good news then.

The same people who said that aren't also real estate agents though, are they?

Lex Luthor has some beach front property in the Imperial Valley for sale.

JediTricks
06-25-2010, 05:54 PM
IIRC, while it released stress on the big fault, there was a smaller fault down there that was ired up by it, so it's a mixed bag.

Lex Luthor would have a pretty hard time selling that property, even if somehow magically the west side of the fault disappeared entirely, the majority of the state is on the land-mass side of the fault. Besides, California has plenty of beach-front property which isn't excessively valuable or even habitable, so why he thought everybody would want to move to the Nevada border to suffer in deserts that had no infrastructure or even water systems (growing an ocean wouldn't provide potable water) is beyond fathomable. "Evil genius"? More like "very lucky moron".

TeeEye7
06-26-2010, 02:55 AM
The US/Mexico border region is having more 3.0+ quakes lately.

It's just the Earth settling from all of the tunnels dug beneath it.

JimJamBonds
06-26-2010, 07:36 AM
IIRC, while it released stress on the big fault, there was a smaller fault down there that was ired up by it, so it's a mixed bag.

Lex Luthor would have a pretty hard time selling that property, even if somehow magically the west side of the fault disappeared entirely, the majority of the state is on the land-mass side of the fault. Besides, California has plenty of beach-front property which isn't excessively valuable or even habitable, so why he thought everybody would want to move to the Nevada border to suffer in deserts that had no infrastructure or even water systems (growing an ocean wouldn't provide potable water) is beyond fathomable. "Evil genius"? More like "very lucky moron".

Once Cali becomes the second island state Nevada will have some prime sea front property (yeah I'm playing around a bit with that theory I know :D)

I am really worried that Mother Nature will schedule a bad one - and not only that - at the most inconvenient time.

What if I'm playing MLB on the Wii again like during the Easter Quake?

I was able to pause my game and return to try and beat the Dodgers later, but I was too shaken to really concentrate and I had to quit that game in the 7th and not save it as I don't allow losses to L.A. to go on my record.

So you are 'really worried' that it will inconvenience a video game? You realize how silly that sounds right? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Rocketboy
06-26-2010, 09:36 AM
No mention of Wednesday's Canadian Quake?
There was a 5.0 magnitude quake along the Ontario-Quebec border, which was felt as far away as Michigan.

Actually, it was barely felt here in Michigan.
A handful of people felt it and the local news blew it WAY out of proportion, as if the the epicenter were right beneath us.

Engineernerd
06-26-2010, 09:57 AM
I heard some reports of being felt in U.P. and as far as Traverse City.

mabudonicus
06-26-2010, 11:14 AM
Several of my local friends on Facebox posted hysterical crap about that quake- I was working about 10 miles away from my house and none of the dozen people I was with felt anything, we heard about it on the radio and thought it was odd that not a one of us noticed it
:beard: Iso&Baws&Topes
Seriously, the media coverage was ridiculous

TeeEye7
06-26-2010, 12:32 PM
There was a 5.0 magnitude quake along the Ontario-Quebec border, which was felt as far away as Michigan.

Child's play compared to the 7.0s routinely felt from the Ontario epicenter known as the MabuDome. Locals are so used to it that they ignore the small stuff.

However, they are keen to listen for wolf howls.....

Tycho
06-26-2010, 12:57 PM
So you are 'really worried' that it will inconvenience a video game? You realize how silly that sounds right? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I know. I really didn't want to speak of the unthinkable: that my Transformers collection might be damaged.

JediTricks
06-26-2010, 03:01 PM
Canada has earthquakes? I didn't know the land up there got so rude. :p
Once Cali becomes the second island state Nevada will have some prime sea front property (yeah I'm playing around a bit with that theory I know :D)My point is that it wouldn't be worth much at first even if magically the whole state disappeared. And the fault certainly wouldn't cause that, only a sliver of the state is west of it. Actually, even funnier really, Luthor's idiotic plan would only inflate values of areas he couldn't have bought up because they're already invested. Lancaster, San Jose, Palmdale, Victorville. And then there's a lot of MOUNTAINS, not deserts. The fault has created majestic mountain ranges which are nigh-uninhabitable and certainly have no infrastructure, his desert properties are BEHIND those mountains, so his deserts are still worthless, no ocean is going to get over them, and there's already cities in the other areas so he can't just buy them out. Plus, it's exceptionally difficult to build on desert, can't just lay a simple foundation.

Let's face it, Luthor's plan sucked bad and he was just lucky Superman didn't know his geography and geology better or he would have laughed in his face.

So you are 'really worried' that it will inconvenience a video game? You realize how silly that sounds right? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:Tycho is obsessed with this Wii MLB game, he has spent hours telling me about how he's crafted his perfect team, and now won't hook his Wii up to the internet because it'll update the players' stats and move them to their correct teams. He's heavily invested himself in that game.

Darth Duranium
06-26-2010, 03:50 PM
Canada has earthquakes? I didn't know the land up there got so rude. :p

Didn't feel a thing in Toronto... except faintly nauseous due to the over-hyped media reports about the supposed earthquake. :)
BTW, Vancouver B.C.'s sitting on a major earthquake epicentre... part of the same plate tectonics issues that affect California. The downside of beautiful mountains, as JT mentioned.

We've got another kind of rude natural disaster: the G8 and G20 gang are here in town so there's a running battle on the streets between the cops (thousands of 'em) and the balaclava & molotov protesters. Apart from the running skirmishes, the downtown core's a ghost town.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
06-26-2010, 09:55 PM

Actually, it was barely felt here in Michigan.
A handful of people felt it and the local news blew it WAY out of proportion, as if the the epicenter were right beneath us.

Same here in WNY.

I should have felt it and it seemed 80% of the people I ran into did too. I guess the old rock layer that the NE is situated on means the magnitude is amplified and it would cover a wider scope of area.

Lord Malakite
06-26-2010, 10:50 PM
Tycho is obsessed with this Wii MLB game, he has spent hours telling me about how he's crafted his perfect team, and now won't hook his Wii up to the internet because it'll update the players' stats and move them to their correct teams. He's heavily invested himself in that game.
I would think completely moving his saved game data to an SD card (so no trace is on the Wii console), updating his Wii via the internet, then moving his game data back to the Wii (after the internet connection has been disconnected) would prevent that problem.

Tycho
06-27-2010, 01:13 AM
That's a good suggestion Lord Malakite. However, I also have Adrian Gonzalez, Nick Hundley, and Chase Headley all batting in the 4-500's and Kevin Kouzmanoff is still on my team. I also have Ken Griffey, Jr. when he was great. And don't even get me started on who my pitchers are (though I can have almost all the Padres' starters except Mat Latos in not on the 2009 game and I'd have to go online to get him).

Doesn't matter though - because I still have Jake Peavy, Trevor Hoffman (in his prime), Ben Sheets (actually on Oakland in real life).

So I don't really want Internet updates to my team - though in real life the Padres are in First Place because of our awesome pitching staff - right through relievers Gregerson, Adams, and Bell (as closer). I still have Cla Meredith though and I'm using him as my closer (10 saves and counting) - that sidearm of his is wicked!

Now however, serious I sound about my Wii MLB game and my Transformers collection, people including myself, those I care about, and my pets could all be hurt or lose a lot in property damage, be cut off from their medacine, loved ones, etc. and all, in a serious earthquake. I was actually kidding about my priorities and concerns about an earthquake interrupting my video game.

However, with no actual great natural disaster in California (at present) I am concerned about my video game and Transformers collection - but I also wish there was something I could do for the people (and animals especially) in the Gulf States suffering from the BP Oil Spill.

But a really bad earthquake could make for very serious problems close to home, too - so I really hope it doesn't happen. Unfortunately, IT WILL. It is unavoidable. It is our destiny.

Lord Malakite
06-27-2010, 02:41 AM
So I don't really want Internet updates to my team - though in real life the Padres are in First Place because of our awesome pitching staff - right through relievers Gregerson, Adams, and Bell (as closer).
Believe me, being a big gamer myself I wouldn't want to mess up your current team either with internet updates if you are happy with it as they are. My suggestion was more so you could download Virtual Console/WiiWare games if you choose or to update your other Wii games/Wii console itself in the "general sense" without the fear accidentally messing up your MLB team stuff with an auto update.

Tycho
06-27-2010, 06:34 AM
There are other video games? Really?

Looking around here there is actually even a small stack of them here - with titles having to do with something called Star Wars, the NFL, Indiana Jones, and Transformers - but my Wii "systems report" says I only log hours achieving victories with the San Diego Padres in MLB action.

If the system had a psychological profile, it would say I'm "nuts and crackerjacks and don't care if I ever get back...." :crazed:

It says nothing about me being "a gamer."

I'm a PADRE! :thumbsup:

El Chuxter
07-07-2010, 07:05 PM
A nice 5.9 southeast of Palm Springs and west of the Salton Sea, followed almost immediately (within three minutes) by a 3.6 just south of Palm Springs. I actually think we might've felt the 3.6 first, as there was a slight jolt, several seconds of nothing, then a pretty massive rumbling.

Personally, I blame Bel-Cam Jos. He put the Teek in my hand this morning. The ground beneath the Inland Empire simply wasn't prepared for such awesomeness.

Edit: first was actually south of Palm Springs, and the second was southwest.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-07-2010, 08:37 PM
It's now down to "just" a 5.4 (I blame Teek for stealing the other 0.5). I was on a second floor room, and it rolled more than recent quakes have (less of a jolt). Thankfully, no reports of damage. At least three other aftershocks of at least 3.0 magnitude.

Life in California.

Tycho
07-08-2010, 01:32 AM
I was at Applebees at Happy Hour having a healthy apple-walnut-chicken-salad and watching the San Diego Padres (ahead over Washington at this point), sitting on my favorite bar stool talking with a hottie bartender and a couple more fine girls who were having their lunch there.

If it were The Big One, I'd have been ready to die because I was already in Heaven! :thumbsup:

JediTricks
07-08-2010, 03:21 PM
My apartment barely felt the first one, the cat didn't seem to care much, but the second one hit harder and my LCD tv shook violently while I watched my shelf of Transformers Alternators sway considerably, and the cat freaked on that one.

My sister was at her new job on the 17th floor in West LA and said it was extremely violent and everybody felt queasy for a while after.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-19-2010, 10:42 AM
We must've had about 500 quakes prior to the last week or so, as the site shows about 650 in CA/NV now, when it had been over 1100 last time. It's certainly been "earthquake weather" around here lately.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-25-2010, 08:26 PM
About half of the earthquakes in CA-NV and the NE border of Mexico over the last week have been around the US/Mex border. There were five quakes over 3.2 today, with a 4.0, too.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-07-2010, 11:35 AM
The Inland Empire extended area has had more little quakes lately, with a 4.1 around the Palm Springs area this week. Concern?

bkusna
08-07-2010, 11:36 AM
Try surviving a F5 twister!!!!!!!!!:cross-eye

Bel-Cam Jos
08-07-2010, 11:38 AM
No, thank you. I'll take our shaking earth over spinning air or gushing water any day. ;)

bkusna
08-07-2010, 11:49 AM
I'm in OKC and these twisters are WICKED....:twisted:

El Chuxter
08-07-2010, 12:19 PM
When was the 4.1? I should've felt that, or heard about it, but haven't.

And I'd prefer thunderstorms over earthquakes. But not tornadoes.

JediTricks
08-07-2010, 01:25 PM
We must've had about 500 quakes prior to the last week or so, as the site shows about 650 in CA/NV now, when it had been over 1100 last time. It's certainly been "earthquake weather" around here lately.
Don't get people started with that silly "earthquake weather" stuff, it's daft.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-08-2010, 10:08 AM
On Friday, at 10:39am near Desert Hot Springs, according to the site, with 11 aftershocks there since then.

And "earthquake weather" is like any superstition: when it happens, it's true, and when it doesn't, well, that's just a fluke.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-14-2010, 09:47 AM
More medium-level earthquake action in the Mexico/CA border region (a few 3.0s in the last few days, with lots of little 'uns), plus some in the Nor Cal coastal area.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-24-2010, 07:07 PM
Two 4.+ quakes in the last day (off the Socal coast, that Mexico/CA border region). But less overall CA/NV/Mex quakes (around 500 total) in the past week.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-15-2010, 07:30 PM
Quakes totals are down (below 500), but there've been more large ones in the CA-Mex border region (one at 5.0, others in 3.0-4.8 range).

Bel-Cam Jos
10-21-2010, 07:54 PM
Did all you CA dwellers survive the 7.8 shakeout today?

For those who don't know, today was the annual Great Shakeout, where schools or businesses prepare for a simulated earthquake, i.e. The Big One. It was a break in the rain while the students were out on the field lined up, thankfully.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-13-2011, 08:51 PM
There have been about 140+ new quakes over the past week or so, throughout various areas of CA, western NV, and NW Mexico (even in the Pacific Ocean). A few over 4.0, several others over 3.0 magnitude.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-22-2011, 09:03 PM
Less quakes lately, but the CA/NV border region has had more 3.0 and stronger ones. That's a concern.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-14-2011, 09:46 PM
I had meant to post that there were less than 400 quakes for the first time in a long time, here in CA. I wonder if the pressure was building up across the Pacific Ocean. :(

Bel-Cam Jos
03-30-2011, 07:22 PM
About 60 more new quakes over the last week or so, mainly in southern CA. Nothing large (biggest was about 3.7 on the Richter), but more little ones in the same areas.

Bel-Cam Jos
04-14-2011, 06:47 PM
Seems to have about 100 new earthquakes in the last week: mainly on the CA/NV border south of Tahoe and the stripe down the state that follows our most famous fault (no, not electing the Governator... San Andreas).

Bel-Cam Jos
04-20-2011, 06:43 PM
Now the site shows over 700 in the last week, up from under 400 about 10+ days ago. Hmm...

Bel-Cam Jos
06-08-2011, 10:04 AM
I don't know if it's just because I'm home more now that it's summer break, but I seem to be feeling earthquakes more. And the geological website does show more small ones (2.0 or under) in the Inland area lately. I had a dream last night that I was in church and someone was on the microphone telling the congregation to not be afraid, as the building was shaking. Am I a conduit for Mother Nature? :eek:

Bel-Cam Jos
06-29-2011, 12:00 PM
The CA/NV site quake map shows the most recent earthquakes all along the route I plan to drive (I-5 north going, SR 395 south returning) to visit my dad in Reno in a few weeks. From Mommy Nature, the Woman in Black: "I once shook a man in Reno, just to watch him die." :eek:

TeeEye7
06-30-2011, 10:42 AM
The CA/NV site quake map shows the most recent earthquakes all along the route I plan to drive (I-5 north going, SR 395 south returning) to visit my dad in Reno in a few weeks. From Mommy Nature, the Woman in Black: "I once shook a man in Reno, just to watch him die." :eek:

BCJ: Please check with Caltrans before taking I-5! There's a lot of construction going on (especially in my county) and there are both north and south lane closures down to one lane in some areas (unless time is not a factor for you) along the route. Huge delays! It's been recommended to take Hwy. 99, especially for northbound traffic, to avoid the mess! Caltrans should have areas affected and detours listed. Have a safe trip!

Bel-Cam Jos
06-30-2011, 11:22 AM
Should I stop by your area on the way? Perhaps for a police escort? :hinthintwinkwink: ;)

TeeEye7
06-30-2011, 11:48 AM
Well...I have just been assigned a 4WD vehicle at work now....Oh, the possibilities!

Bel-Cam Jos
07-20-2011, 10:57 AM
North-bound on 99 was fine; but south-bound US-395 (from south of the Bishop area) was awful; one lane highways... what, is this the early 20th century? :mad: :p

I travelled through some of the cities that appear on the "most recent earthquakes" website: Tom's Place, Bishop, Big Pine, etc.

Haven't been many 4.0+ quakes, but there's been a steady increase in the total number of smaller ones lately.

TeeEye7
07-22-2011, 02:41 AM
Tom's Place

Sounds like an awesome place!

Bel-Cam Jos
08-23-2011, 11:28 PM
So, the earth can move in the nation's capital region, eh? Please don't send us any tropical storms out west, thank you.

Blue2th
08-24-2011, 12:08 AM
Quake yesterday near the Colorado / New Mexico border.
http://earthquake-report.com/2011/08/23/unusually-strong-earthquake-in-colorado-new-mexico-united-states/

Neuroleptic
08-24-2011, 10:39 AM
So, the earth can move in the nation's capital region, eh? you.

Turns out, you can litteraly move heaven and earth before you can get the govorment to accomplish something usefull these days.

JEDIpartner
08-24-2011, 12:40 PM

I really love this...

Darth Metalmute
08-24-2011, 01:45 PM
I heard the quake was caused by the founding fathers rolling in their grave.

JEDIpartner
08-24-2011, 02:30 PM
I heard the quake was caused by the founding fathers rolling in their grave.

We probably shouldn't have buried them in the foundation.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-03-2011, 11:31 AM
A brief spike in quakes in CA the last week, with a few at 4.0 or more.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-14-2011, 07:55 PM
Apparently, there was a 4.1 within about 40 miles of me this morning. I didn't feel it.

El Chuxter
09-14-2011, 10:25 PM
I didn't either. It was remarkably close to my house, but I was in the car at the time.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-11-2011, 07:54 AM
Do we have any Oklahoma Forumites who felt their 5.0+ shaker the past week? That's sure a closer "midwest" region than CA.

TeeEye7
11-11-2011, 10:32 AM
Do we have any Oklahoma Forumites who felt their 5.0+ shaker the past week? That's sure a closer "midwest" region than CA.

I think that event was in honor of my son who will be attending the University of Oklahoma beginning this January. Just a little "something" to make him less homesick.

I wonder how the people in Prague, OK felt about it....

Bel-Cam Jos
11-11-2011, 11:14 AM
Is he there yet? Did he give the standard California "this was nothing... I remember the quake when..." line?

Jedi_nav
11-11-2011, 02:32 PM
On Saturday we had one really early in the morning that I slept thru but I felt the 5.7 that night. It shook the house, thankfully no damage. We then had another one on monday that was a 4.7 that I could feel but that wasn't too bad, but happened while we were under a tornando watch so that was fun. NOT! We've had quite a few recently so it's a bit worrisome. I'm blaming it on obama. It's all his fault.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-15-2011, 04:45 PM
California has had several "larger" quakes (scale 3.0+) lately, especially some along the San Andreas vertical fault.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-06-2012, 11:12 AM
California has had several "larger" quakes (scale 3.0+) lately, especially some along the San Andreas vertical fault.#re-Tweet
Mainly east of my area.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-27-2012, 07:14 PM
During 5th period today, about 1:30pm, a student asked, "was that an earthquake, Mr. Jos?" I quickly said, "no," then changed it to, "I don't know, but I don't think so." Checked when I got home; Mr. Jos was wrongo: a 3.4 centered maybe 10 miles from the school or so.

TeeEye7
03-28-2012, 02:49 AM
BCJ: teaching at the school of rock(in').

JediTricks
03-28-2012, 03:15 PM
During 5th period today, about 1:30pm, a student asked, "was that an earthquake, Mr. Jos?" I quickly said, "no," then changed it to, "I don't know, but I don't think so." Checked when I got home; Mr. Jos was wrongo: a 3.4 centered maybe 10 miles from the school or so.Epic D+! ;)

Bel-Cam Jos
03-31-2012, 09:08 AM
Several more 3.0+ quakes across the state (CA) in the last few days, including 2 yesterday near Malibu.

Bel-Cam Jos
04-09-2012, 07:07 PM
There've been about 100 new shakers around CA in the past week; no real big ones, but they've been mainly centered in a few regions (one of which is near me).

Bel-Cam Jos
04-11-2012, 08:36 PM
Big quakes today in Mexico, Indonesia, Oregon.

El Chuxter
04-11-2012, 09:04 PM
Sorry. I had chili last night. :redface:

JimJamBonds
04-28-2012, 08:44 PM
About a month or so ago there were some minor quakes about an hourish from where I live, since that is NE Wisconsin even though it was about a 1.7ish it made national news.

Bel-Cam Jos
04-28-2012, 08:58 PM
There was a 4.1 about 15 miles from home this morning, plus several other smaller ones this past week up and down CA. Hmm...

JimJamBonds
04-28-2012, 09:01 PM
About a month or so ago there were some minor quakes about an hourish from where I live, since that is NE Wisconsin even though it was about a 1.7ish it made national news.This pic "made the rounds" http://www.barplan.com/blog/home/2012/03/24/clintonville-earthquake-survivors-vow-to-rebuild/

TeeEye7
04-29-2012, 03:19 PM
There was a 4.1 about 15 miles from home this morning, plus several other smaller ones this past week up and down CA. Hmm...

As you well know, just a little California yawn and stretch!

Bel-Cam Jos
05-21-2012, 08:27 PM
Italy had some strong ones this weekend.

TeeEye7
05-22-2012, 02:47 AM
We had a 3.0 south of town yesterday. Not really worth the post....

Bel-Cam Jos
05-30-2012, 10:13 AM
There've been a few in the Malibu area in the last week, including a 4.0 off the coast yesterday.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-02-2012, 10:54 AM
Several 3.0+ (with about six 4.0+) in the northwestern Mexico region in the past few days.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-08-2012, 06:26 PM
Any SoCal-ers feel the two 4.5s and one 3.4 in Yorba Linda the past 24 hours or so? It was a jolt quake that I felt at school this morning about 9:30 (pretty loud, actually). Time to spread the "earthquake weather" urban legend again?

El Chuxter
08-08-2012, 08:45 PM
I fell into a chasm last night and only just now dug myself out.

TeeEye7
08-08-2012, 11:06 PM
Time to spread the "earthquake weather" urban legend again?

Sure....why not?

Bel-Cam Jos
08-09-2012, 08:46 PM
I fell into a chasm last night and only just now dug myself out.Is there an app for that? For rescuing, not the falling in part. Were you trapped there for more or less than 127 hours?

JediTricks
08-10-2012, 03:48 PM
Any SoCal-ers feel the two 4.5s and one 3.4 in Yorba Linda the past 24 hours or so? It was a jolt quake that I felt at school this morning about 9:30 (pretty loud, actually). Time to spread the "earthquake weather" urban legend again?I felt the 11:23pm one here in Culver City, it was pretty mild but it rolled and wobbled a little more than I was expecting.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-26-2012, 04:16 PM
About 20 quakes near the Salton Sea area (town of Brawley has the most) just today of over 3.0, including several 4s and a couple 5s. Hmm. That's over 100 new CA earthquakes in the last day alone.

Tycho
08-26-2012, 07:12 PM
I felt one this afternoon while I was working on my novel. You barely felt it though.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-27-2012, 08:35 AM
I thought I was feeling little quakes much of the day, even before I heard of the big ones south of here. CA now has over 700 quakes in the past week; that number was under 400 a day or so ago. Cal Tech reps say it doesn't necessarily mean The Big One is coming soon, but to still be prepared.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-30-2012, 07:59 PM
CA/NV now has 1033 separate quakes in the past week; this time last week I think it was under 400 total. Be prepared. :injeremyironssscarvoice:

Bel-Cam Jos
09-03-2012, 08:59 AM
Now the site shows "only" 632 quakes in the past week. That "swarm" (the media's fave term to use) of earthquakes came, it shook, it kicked its feet up to watch itself on the news. Then left. Now, SoCal has a big brush fire in the foothills. :(

JediTricks
09-04-2012, 01:50 PM
There was a mild quake here in LA the night before last, 3:30am, I was just falling asleep when it hit and I got up and moved Sideshow Commander Cody off the mantle - he's got so many breakable tiny parts that any fall would wreck him.

TeeEye7
10-21-2012, 06:04 PM
I'm surprised BCJ hasn't reported this yet.

5.3 magnitude quake in King City, CA. Several aftershocks in the mid 2 to mid 3 magnitude range on-going since the original.

I live 200 miles SE from there...did not feel anything. At that magnitude, I'm surprised.

TeeEye7
10-28-2012, 12:55 PM
So...my father-in-law calls up early this morning stating that they've had an earthquake (he's in Granada Hills) saying everyone's OK but he's not sure about the buildings. Concerned, my wife starts melting down the phone checking in with other Southland family members whose response is "what quake?". Grandpa felt a 3.8 temblor up the road in Newhall. I haven't heard any news of any problems reported yet. That magnitude is more of a hiccup.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-04-2012, 09:59 PM
About 9am this morning, I felt a jolt. Turned out to be a 3.1 quake centered about 5 miles away or so. No damage.

Bel-Cam Jos
12-05-2012, 07:27 PM
CA and NV have had around 150 new quakes over the past week or so. Nothing over 3s on the Andy Richter scale, however.

JediTricks
12-05-2012, 07:32 PM
That scale is underrated and underappreciated, and it's really stagnating from being held back by the O'Brien scale.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-06-2013, 09:14 AM
The CA/NV site (which is beign phased out for a "better" one that's harder to narrow down or center and only shows 2.5+ quakes :mad: ) only shows 286 quakes over the last week. That's among the lowest I can ever recall in checking said website.

Bel-Cam Jos
02-12-2013, 08:57 PM
More of larger quakes around the border of CA, including a 5.1 in west NV, recently.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-02-2013, 09:45 AM
Same as my post above; less total quakes but more isolated larger ones (3.0+ - 4.0+) around the state.

El Chuxter
03-11-2013, 12:10 PM
5.2 near Anza a few minutes ago. Currently cleaning my underwear.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-11-2013, 08:33 PM
Quite a few in the SoCal central area in the last couple days. Number of them that were felt by B-CJ? Same number of Col. Cracken action figures I own.

El Chuxter
03-27-2013, 02:31 PM
3.7 about an hour ago near La Quinta (a bit east of Palm Springs). I didn't feel nuthin' here.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-27-2013, 08:18 PM
And there was a 3.0 off the coast, near the Channel Islands, today. I feels nuhssink, too.

Bel-Cam Jos
04-27-2013, 11:12 AM
Last night, local news cut in with "Breaking News," after a 3.2 in Marina Del Rey (along the SoCal coast).

TeeEye7
04-27-2013, 02:37 PM
Last night, local news cut in with "Breaking News," after a 3.2 in Marina Del Rey (along the SoCal coast).

Musta been a slow news day....

JediTricks
05-01-2013, 11:09 PM
And then we got an aftershock a few days later.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-16-2013, 07:16 PM
Finally, after months of saying "this website is no longer maintained and updated," despite the fact it was being updated with current quakes, the site was shut down. A new site, which looks a lot like the old one, says there've been a couple 3.0+ and even a 4.0+ in the past 5 days or so in the general SoCal area.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-24-2013, 09:06 AM
Wow, several 3.0+ quakes in north central CA, including a 5.7 one near Greenville.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-24-2013, 12:36 PM
A recent 4.3 quake in the middle of the state today.

TeeEye7
07-24-2013, 11:53 PM
A recent 4.3 quake in the middle of the state today.

In my own backyard. No one felt it here. How silly we Californians must be!

Bel-Cam Jos
08-10-2013, 06:05 PM
Several pockets of quakes around CA; my region has a collection of more little ones that recently. And that typical San Andreas line of dots up to the Bay Area looks thicker, too.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-24-2013, 09:42 AM
A 4.2 off the coast of central CA.
In October, the annual Great Shakeout state-wide program to promote earthquake safety and preparedness will be held; our school will (likely) get to do a full scenario drill for the first time in its 11-year history.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-25-2013, 06:46 PM
TeeEye, have you felt any of the recent quakes centered in Lake Isabella, east of where you reside?

TeeEye7
08-25-2013, 07:08 PM
TeeEye, have you felt any of the recent quakes centered in Lake Isabella, east of where you reside?

Nope, but I just saw this on the news. It was in the Weldon area (east of Lake Isabella). There were two quakes 3.6 and 4.2. It's rare if we feel those wimpy ones here on the valley floor. It did stir a little excitement in the Kern Valley, however. That's Lake Isabella, Mountain Mesa, Weldon, etc.

JimJamBonds
08-25-2013, 10:01 PM
No earthquake but the power was out for 45-60 minutes which apparently was caused by a sandhill crane flying into some electrical wires.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-28-2013, 09:02 PM
Almost 1100 (not near 1138, though :rolleyes: ) quakes in CA/NV the past week.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-17-2013, 09:25 PM
Today was CA's annual statewide "Great Shakeout" drill. I may have turned myself into one of the school's organizers of it; my area is "student release." I requested a standee of Gandalf with "You Shall Not Pass" on it. ;) Safety is one of my big focuses; channeling my inner Fire Marshall Bill, I suppose. :ahguguguguk:

Bel-Cam Jos
12-23-2013, 09:47 AM
A few 4.0+ quakes around the state recently (most in the center of CA).

TeeEye7
12-26-2013, 11:34 PM
A few 4.0+ quakes around the state recently (most in the center of CA).

Some of these have been in my neck of the woods. Lots of reports from local folks having felt them, but not this boy. If I have, I guess I've been getting them confused with large trucks rolling down the street! 4.0s pretty much feel like that...