PDA

View Full Version : Modern Conviences

Mad Slanted Powers
04-20-2008, 08:24 PM
It's amazing how much we rely on various modern conveniences and technology. We don't realize how much until we have to do without. Most of us notice this when the power goes out or your computer network goes down at work. At the moment, I am living without refrigeration.

Wednesday night I was sitting here at the computer when I smelled something. I then started to wonder if maybe I left the stove on. I went to check and it was okay, but I couldn't figure out what it was and was kind of panicking. The smell did seem to be stronger in the kitchen near the fridge, but I wasn't sure. The smell seemed to lessen some, but eventually the fridge started running and I heard a clicking noise from time to time. I thought that maybe what I had smelled was the coolant or something instead of something burning. The food was still all right. The stuff in the fridge was cold and the stuff in the freezer was frozen. I figured I would call the next day to have someone take a look at it.

In the morning, I didn't notice any problem with my milk and orange juice, but the fridge was still making that noise. However, when I went to grab my peanut butter and jam sandwich out of the freezer, it was not frozen. Later that day the repair guy stopped by and found that a relay had burnt out, so I had indeed smelled something burning. I'm just glad a fire didn't start. However, the guy said that while it was an easy fix, they would have to order the part. It probably wouldn't be here until Monday or Tuesday at the earliest. So, after work I packed up most of the food and took it to my parents' house since they have an extra fridge and extra freezer and had some space in them. Had a nice meal there that night as well.

Friday, I get a call back saying that the part is on factory backorder, meaning they didn't know when it would come in. For an extra $40 or so they could expedite it. I said sure, since I didn't want to go too long without it. When I get home there is a message on my machine saying that not only was the part on backorder, it sounds like they didn't even have any at the factory. It sounds like they have to manufacture the part. So now it might not be until at least Friday. I'll have to get back with them this week to see if there are any other options, and if I can get by without having to pay that extra money for expediting since it's not really all that expeditious from my perspective.

So, for the first night I just left the remaining stuff I had in the fridge. The OJ was good enough to drink Friday morning. The vegetables would keep long enough for me to eat them. The remaining milk I planned to use only in gravy. There were a few things I should have taken to my parents but didn't, and I ended up throwing them out. Friday night, I ended up putting some things in a box and putting them out on the porch to keep them cool a bit longer. The temperature there didn't get above 50F today. Just about everything will be used up by tomorrow.

So, for the time being I'll have to get by on canned or boxed things. If I want something else, it will have to be something I can buy in single servings and fix that night. Some things maybe I'm just paranoid about, because we are so used to keeping them in the fridge. However, they are things that can probably keep a while.

While it is an inconvenience, at least I still have power and heat. It kind of makes me have to think a lot more about what I'm going to do for dinner. One thing for sure is that it certainly makes me appreciate my refrigerator and freezer. Makes you wonder how people got by without a fridge.

Neuroleptic
04-20-2008, 10:24 PM
Honestly, I think at this point I'd be buying a new fridge even if I had to look for a used one.

Had to go without any power for two weeks this winter here in Kansas. It sucked big time, to say the least. Luckily, we have a good suply of bottled water and canned food for just such occasions.

Though, by the time we got power back, I was ready to scream when ever I saw a can. Packaged food gets old quick.

Mad Slanted Powers
04-21-2008, 12:05 AM
The fridge is not even 5 years old. That part however is not covered by the 5 year warranty. I've already spent a few hundred on car repairs this year and perhaps a few hundred more will be needed the next time I take the car in, so I don't plan on dropping a few hundred on a new fridge at this time.

I used to have a mini-fridge I used in college, but my mom took it to a garage sale my sister-in-law had, so I couldn't use that. It would hardly be worth buying another for how little I would use it.

mabudonicus
04-21-2008, 12:23 PM
MSP, before I say anything, the most striking part of your post was the part about taking a PB+J sammy out of the FREEZER?? That's probably what made the damn thing die on ya, you blew the poor things friggin MIND with that #### right there

Once (back when I still ate meat) me and this dude shared an appartment and we had a BIG stock of stuff in the freezer. The damn fridge kinda blew up on the friday before August long weekend. It was HOT out. The landlord was incommunicado and so we just started cooking EVERYTHING and eating it, we must have eaten 20 damn pounds of chicken, beef, sole, hamburgers, a turkey, it was totally insane, every time people came by (we partied a LOT at the time, botoh in our early 20's see) we'd cajole them into eating a pound or two of whatever just to help out.

We put anything we couldn't finish in the coolest darkest place we could fine (probably still around 80 degrees F) thinking that it would have a bit more "legs" once it was safely cooked...
By about midnight we had taken the screen off the window and were chucking random stinking meat-objects to the ground (we lived on the third floor)

Some stuff we forgot/overlooked was in the fridge and it went FOUL very quickly. On the tuesday following we were still waiting for a new fridge, we went out in the evening and when we returned the landlord and his buddies were just leaving- they had brought a new fridge and transfered the thoroughly rotten remainder of our fridgeables into teh new one as a courtesy

Losing yer fridge SUCKS
:bored: Iso&Baws

PB+J in the freezer, what WILL they think of next :D

stillakid
04-21-2008, 12:51 PM
Modern Conviences

Definitely. I'm not sure how we ever survived without spellcheck! ;)

Jargo
04-21-2008, 05:27 PM
Milk in gravy? that just caused my brain to back up and sit down in horror.

see this is why I have a separate freezer and 'fridge. when one goes there's still the other. and these days you're damn lucky if anything lasts more than a year before breaking. most things seem timed to break down just after the guarantee/warranty runs out.

funny you mentioning modern conveniences. just got our very first microwave oven ever. always hated the damn things. but recently it's a case of having to get food prepared fast so the defrost function is a boon. wouldn't ever actually cook anything in one though. that's what the natural gas stove and oven are for. mmm yeah i was looking round the house the other week at night. all the lights were off and i'd just nipped down to the kitchen for a drink. i was on my way back to bed when i noticed how many LED lights there were beaming away brightly. seems like everything electrical comes with the damn things as standard energy wasters. if not an LED or ten it's a LCD timer clock. even when you turn things off at the mains there's still pluck sockets with LEDs in them on stuff you can't turn off like the freezer or 'fridge. I for one could definitely live without some of these LED and LCD things.

El Chuxter
04-21-2008, 05:35 PM
It's not the same sort of gravy as is common in Britain, Mr_Daddypants. There are lots of American gravies that use milk, especially common with breakfast staples like biscuits, eggs, and country-fried steak (possibly the greatest food known to man).

I like UK gravy, but, yeah, the thought of milk in that is pretty disgusting.

TeeEye7
04-21-2008, 05:46 PM
It's not the same sort of gravy as is common in Britain, Mr_Daddypants. There are lots of American gravies that use milk, especially common with breakfast staples like biscuits, eggs, and country-fried steak (possibly the greatest food known to man).

I like UK gravy, but, yeah, the thought of milk in that is pretty disgusting.

At the risk of sending this thread on another tangent (hey! it's what we do best at SSG!), I have an aunt who was a War Bride (she's from Liverpool, Jargo!) and watching her put milk in her tea used to freak me out when I was a wee tyke. So, in reverse, I can see where Jargo is coming from when it comes to our wacky cuisine customs.

Country fried steak and gravy.......mmmmmmmmmmmmm! :thumbsup:

El Chuxter
04-21-2008, 05:56 PM
Milk in tea sounded weird to me, too, until I tried it. Hot tea, that is. Iced tea would be pretty nasty with milk or cream.

TeeEye7
04-21-2008, 06:01 PM
Yes, hot tea. I should have clarified that. Thanks, Chux.

Milk in iced tea would end up in a hurlfest for sure! :dead:

Jargo
04-21-2008, 06:44 PM
aaaaaaah I see. though I guess I'd probably call anything other than UK gravy a sauce. I'll have to google american gravy now.

It's a bad habit of mine to leave hot milk tea to go cold and then still drink it. Though if it's been cold for hours it's definitely a no-no. Just gone cold from tepid is ok though.

Hello from Liverpool (ish) to your aunt TI7.

Mad Slanted Powers
04-21-2008, 07:17 PM
MSP, before I say anything, the most striking part of your post was the part about taking a PB+J sammy out of the FREEZER?? That's probably what made the damn thing die on ya, you blew the poor things friggin MIND with that #### right thereMy mom makes bread with a bread machine, and she gives me enough for sandwiches for a week. I don't want the bread to go stale or mold before the end of the week. The PB&J sandwiches are ones I can keep in the freezer. If I make something with lunch meat and Miracle Whip, I do that in the morning before I leave because she says I shouldn't freeze the Miracle Whip.

Definitely. I'm not sure how we ever survived without spellcheck! ;)Hey, I got it right in the post. I just typed too fast in the thread title. Perhaps a mod can change it. Those are the kinds of mistakes I don't like to make. I know the difference between they're, their and there, but sometimes I still type the wrong one without thinking.

Milk in gravy? that just caused my brain to back up and sit down in horror.Yes, the gravy I make is flour and milk, and I have some sort of chicken soup base I add to it for flavor. I usually just cook it in a frying pan after I cook the meat. I need gravy on potatoes. Lots of it.[/QUOTE]

see this is why I have a separate freezer and 'fridge. when one goes there's still the other. and these days you're damn lucky if anything lasts more than a year before breaking. most things seem timed to break down just after the guarantee/warranty runs out.My parents always had a separate freezer. Eventually they ended up having two fridges and three freezers since mom would freeze so much stuff. Strawberries, beans, blueberries, squash, jam, and lots of other stuff like that. The one large freezer they have had for over 45 years I think. Actually, I think it is not working now. Moving into a new house, it was more economical for me to just have the one appliance rather than buying two. The space in it is enough for me. Perhaps at some point I could get a small freezer and put it in the garage.

TeeEye7
04-21-2008, 07:57 PM
Hello from Liverpool (ish) to your aunt TI7.

Thanks, Jargo! She'd like the shout-out. She's lived in Millbrae, California (that's in the San Francisco Bay area conglomeration....and very much in the shadow on San Francisco International Airport) for the past bazillion years. Still has a couple of sisters in Liverpool, too. My aunt is always the proper lady!

JimJamBonds
04-23-2008, 05:54 PM
Last year I went on a road trip and afterwords I commented to a friend that I had with me: a phone smaller then my wallet that I could check the internet on, a GPS device to help guide me and I was listening to a satellite radio. Quite the modern convience's compared to just a few years eariler.

Mad Slanted Powers
04-23-2008, 06:06 PM
Well, after thinking I might have to wait until at least the end of the week, the part came in and the repairman was able to fix my fridge by 3pm. So, tomorrow I shall go retrieve my produce from my parents' house.

You certainly are right about how much has changed in just a few years. It wasn't really all that long ago that many of the things we take for granted were rare or non-existent. One of my grandfathers was born in 1890. The people of that time had more in common with those living in 1790 than with people living in 1990. He would have seen the automobile replace the horse and buggy as the way most people get around. He would have seen airplanes replace trains and boats as the way most people travel cross country and overseas. Refrigerators, freezers and washing machines are just a few others. Heck, my mom didn't even have an indoor bathroom growing up. They had to use an outhouse.

stillakid
04-23-2008, 09:19 PM
My Freshman year in High School is when we got the brand new IBM Selectric typewriters. That was a very big deal.

A few years later when I was a Senior, we got to learn basic programming (if then statements) on the Apple 2E. My dad thought we should have a computer at home so he bought a used Commodore 64.

When I was growing up, we used to get on all airplanes by walking onto the tarmac and climbing the stairs.

All of our telephones had cords attached to the phone part. The kitchen phone was attached to the wall. The other phone in the house was the desktop model. They actually rang a bell. To dial, we had to put our fingers in the holes and turn the dial.

I drove a VW Diesel Rabbit to and from college. 50 MPG. About .80 cents a gallon.

Movies would be in theaters for weeks on end and in special cases, months. Star Wars was in a local theater for over a year.

We had three channels and the PBS channel if we turned the antennae right.

Later on, can't remember when, an independent station went on the air and it would broadcast two hours of a new network called "FOX" in the evenings.

Want to know what's on? Read the newspaper.

VHS machines were finally "affordable" for homes. The were top loaders. Movies cost $80 to buy.

If you called someone and they didn't answer, you had to keep calling back until they did. Or write and mail a letter with a stamp.

We had two TV sets. The color one was in the living room on a rickety metal stand. The black & white set was in the corner of the dining room. If you wanted to turn it on, turn it up, or change the channel, you got off your butt and walked over to it.

A Broadcast Network Premiere of a movie actually meant something.

People could buy cigarettes from vending machines.

Pop cans had pull tabs. That style of can is still used in Europe and the Middle East.

We never wore helmets when riding bikes and nobody got hurt or died.

Nobody had "peanut allergies" or any of the host of other recent maladies that seem to afflict people lately.

The only way to see pictures of naked women was to find a copy of Playboy in someone's old newspapers or stumble upon dad's old stash.

A small french fries at McDonald's was actually small. Same with the small drinks.

We had to go to the library to do research for school papers. Learning to use the card catalogue effectively was taught in class. If the library didn't have the book in, they'd order it from another branch and you'd have it within the week. Just about every home had a set of Encyclopedias (usually Britannica) so kids could do research at home.

You'd have the choice of Regular or Unleaded fuel at the gas station.

I was allowed to take my father's Civil War musket to school for "show & tell."

Baseball players stayed with one team for their entire careers.

In my Junior year of college, one (only one) of the professors in the Communications department required his students to turn in their homework using something new called "email." Having a portable computer meant unplugging the keyboard from the Macintosh 128k and putting it all in the soft bag. Otherwise, you'd go the University computer lab and use of the Macintosh 128k's to work and print on the dot-matrix black and white printers ... or use one of the Apple 2E's.

bobafrett
04-23-2008, 09:53 PM
I was cleaning the glass shelves of the refrigerator, and got to the one that sits over the veggie crisper drawers at the bottom, and I had cleaned it, and was preparing to put it back when it just shattered , and I was left holding just the metal frame.

That's not even the good part, about two weeks later, my fiance was preparing a meal on the stove, whewn the glass lid on her pot, fell, then bounced up hitting the glass oven door, and the door shattered. The glass lid was intact.

Both of these I need to get replaced before I move out. We haven't been able to use the oven since. We still use the stove top though.