PDA

View Full Version : Naming my son Luke. Can you guys help with something?

princethomas
04-21-2008, 10:04 PM
We got our Ultrasound done today and found out we are having a Boy! Our chosen name is Luke. Straight up and with no shame, I admit that we are naming him after Star Wars.

I would like to buy a Luke action figure to commemorate this. So I am looking for sort of perfect Luke figure. What is the best ever Luke figure? Not just the figure itself but the card as well. Best Looking most representative over all. From any series ever.

I would like to stay away from Vintage just because its expensive and I'd want to be too careful with it.

I am thinking that probably one of the many "farm boy" Lukes would be the best.

Thanks a lot.

-Tom

Devo
04-21-2008, 10:23 PM
Well Luke is an actual name so its an easy one to get away with. You could go for 'Lando' or 'Wedge'?!! ;)

I suppose as a purely commemorative figure the VOTC tatooine Luke would have been best. The figure itself has problems but you can't beat the Vintage presentation. But you've ruled that out - unless you meant 'Vintage' vintage, as in from the 80s. But I really wouldn't go for the other tatooine Lukes either. My personal favourite Luke is the Saga jabba's palace figure. Its a representation of the character that appeared in the old vintage line and is quite iconic - I think he'd be a good one.

mark2d2
04-21-2008, 11:13 PM
Go for the New "VINTAGE" Luke Skywalker. The Tatooine figure is awesome and if you are going to keep it carded, this is the best card by far, I think.

stillakid
04-21-2008, 11:16 PM
If it was me, I'd get a "starter Luke" from the "twins" set (ROTS). It seems to fit somehow. :)

As he is growing up into toddler-dom, I'd get him a 12" that he can whack around and play with.

As he hits puberty, perhaps Floppy Hat Luke with macrobinoculars.

When he joins the priesthood, his gift can be a Jedi Luke (any will do) in all black. You could paint a little white collar square up top. :D

bigbarada
04-21-2008, 11:26 PM
Go for the New "VINTAGE" Luke Skywalker. The Tatooine figure is awesome and if you are going to keep it carded, this is the best card by far, I think.

I suppose as a purely commemorative figure the VOTC tatooine Luke would have been best. The figure itself has problems but you can't beat the Vintage presentation. But you've ruled that out - unless you meant 'Vintage' vintage, as in from the 80s. But I really wouldn't go for the other tatooine Lukes either. My personal favourite Luke is the Saga jabba's palace figure. Its a representation of the character that appeared in the old vintage line and is quite iconic - I think he'd be a good one.

I agree with these guys that the VOTC Luke is the best modern Luke figure if you are considering the packaging as well. It's essentially a replica of the vintage card with a higher quality figure inside, so it's the best "total package" when it comes to "farmboy" Luke figures.

Tycho
04-21-2008, 11:39 PM
Congratulations.

But there's something I don't understand.

If you wanted a Star Wars name, why didn't you name your son Elan Sleezebagano? That's got to be at the top of many expecting parents' lists.

I'd want to call my boy Bubboccular. It has a nice ring to it. Don't you think? ;)

TeeEye7
04-21-2008, 11:50 PM
But I digress....

I have to share this story:

My wife, a teacher, had a colleague whose last name was Walker. He was a veteran teacher and an avid SW fan. He had always hoped for a son, but alas, was blessed with only daughters. If he were to have a son, his name would have been Luke Sky Walker.

BTW: None of his daughters were named for any SW character. Only the OT existed when his children were born. It always made me wonder if the PT had come out sooner, if one of his daughter would have been named Shmi.

Back to the thread: I agree with BigB.

Tycho
04-22-2008, 12:06 AM
To TeeEye: I've know a girl named "Sky" though. He could have named one of his daughters... Sky Walker. :yes:

princethomas
04-22-2008, 06:08 AM
Thanks. I did just mean the vintage ones from the 80s. The Luke VOTC is pretty cool. Thanks for the help. I guess the Return of the Jedi Luke is also a decent choice. But I like the youthfulness of the Tatooine Luke. Thanks for all the help.
-T

Mad Slanted Powers
04-22-2008, 12:50 PM
I knew a guy named Luke who had a brother named Hans. They weren't named for Star Wars since Luke was my age and Hans a year older.

Deoxyribonucleic
04-22-2008, 06:48 PM
the neighbors of my good friends where I used to live in WAshington, well, their last name was Raider and they named one of their sons Darth. I am not kidding!

Princethomas, I was totally thinking it would be best to get vintage and I would go for the very first Luke figure that came out and get him carded too. It will be awesome in the baby's room up on a shelf :thumbsup:

bobafrett
04-22-2008, 07:13 PM
the neighbors of my good friends where I used to live in WAshington, well, their last name was Raider and they named one of their sons Darth. I am not kidding!

Princethomas, I was totally thinking it would be best to get vintage and I would go for the very first Luke figure that came out and get him carded too. It will be awesome in the baby's room up on a shelf :thumbsup:

Tusken would be a better choice!

Mad Slanted Powers
04-22-2008, 07:51 PM
the neighbors of my good friends where I used to live in WAshington, well, their last name was Raider and they named one of their sons Darth. I am not kidding!Maybe Darth Raider will name his son Tomb Raider. Perhaps they could be a bit more subtle about it and name him Tom B. Raider.

Deoxyribonucleic
04-22-2008, 08:47 PM
Maybe Darth Raider will name his son Tomb Raider. Perhaps they could be a bit more subtle about it and name him Tom B. Raider.

Oi! That had me rollin' lol lol lol

Bobafrett, you are too funny, I love the picture for an example :thumbsup: lol lol lol

2-1B
04-23-2008, 01:25 AM

does the kid look like this ? :confused:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://i.pbase.com/v3/81/486481/4/51188973.P1010253.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.pbase.com/2112/raiders_vs_bills&h=98&w=86&sz=6&tbnid=V073Cvv3vsIJ:&tbnh=98&tbnw=86&prev=/images%3Fq%3DDarth%2BRaider&hl=en&sa=X&oi=image_result&resnum=1&ct=image&cd=3

stillakid
04-23-2008, 01:33 AM
does the kid look like this ? :confused:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://i.pbase.com/v3/81/486481/4/51188973.P1010253.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.pbase.com/2112/raiders_vs_bills&h=98&w=86&sz=6&tbnid=V073Cvv3vsIJ:&tbnh=98&tbnw=86&prev=/images%3Fq%3DDarth%2BRaider&hl=en&sa=X&oi=image_result&resnum=1&ct=image&cd=3

Otherwise known as Mr. HownottogetlaidbyaRaiderCheerleader.

JEDIpartner
04-23-2008, 11:44 AM
I'd want to call my boy Buboccular.

Buboccular Weiselberg?!! Yeah... that has a nice ring to it. "Bubbie" for short? ROTF!

Congrats, Prince Thomas!!!