PDA

View Full Version : In your Experiences...

GizorDellso
04-24-2008, 01:24 PM
What store has the best overall selection you have ever seen? No place around here ever updates there stock but i have seen and bought the Force Unleashed line and at the Gordmans(!) i found a Darktrooper.So what is the best place to buy in your opinion.

I live in Central illinois FYI

Dark Marble
04-24-2008, 01:47 PM
I have always liked Target the best. Most of the things in my collection have come from Target. I am in Boulder, Colorado and the several Targets around me have always been good.

mtriv73
04-24-2008, 01:50 PM
For the past several years, no store has had a great selection around here (in Maryland.) You either stumble upon a case the day it's put out or you miss the wave entirely (or at least part of it.) There are a couple McQuarrie figures from last year that I still haven't seen in "the wild." Most of the time we have had nothing but empty pegs or multiple pegwarmers like Lott Dodd, Nemiodian guard, and Moff J.

To combat the empty pegs problem, Hasbro introduced the saga legends line knowing that no one really wanted these figures again and thus ensuring that there is always something (collecting dust) on the pegs.

I started buying online a few years ago to avoid the hassle (and gas wasting) of looking for new figures. Usually, I just pick up extras at brick and mortar stores.

I highly recommend one of Steve's fine sponsors to fill the holes in your collection. (How's that for sucking up to the ones who pay the bills?)

Mad Slanted Powers
04-24-2008, 03:23 PM
It kind of goes through phases here. Over the years, I've had the best luck at Target, but they've been kind of lagging on putting out new stuff lately, or I'm just missing it. I've seen Force Unleashed at both Wal-Mart and Target, but have yet to find the Jumptrooper and EVO Trooper. Wal-Mart has had more pegs the last few months.

Ever since I moved close to a Fred Meyer, I've been able to get more stuff there because I can check it more often. Both of the ones we have here haven't been getting new stuff for a while.

K-Mart is hardly worth checking anymore. This started with ROTS. When everyone else had the big opening day of figures, they didn't even seem to be carrying them. Ever since then I usually don't see much there.

A Kohl's opened here where Mervyn's used to be. They've had figures but I don't usually check because they were $9.99 for basic figures. However at the end of last year they were on sale a lot and I was able to find a couple things like the Concept Snowtrooper.

Neuroleptic
04-24-2008, 04:12 PM
Here in Manhattan Kansas, you only have three choices.

Target is usualy the best, but lately they havn't been re stocking the star wars figures for some reason, so the last time I went they only had 4 of some alien I wasn't ineterested in.

Walmart is still cramed full mostly of late 2006, early 2007, first wave of TAC, and a few figures for the last wave of 2007 that no one seems to want. Walmart also dosn't seem to be in a hurry to sell them either . . .

K-mart, which is either nearly empty, or over priced (8.99) and somehow never seems to have figures anyone wants anyway.

I usualy turn to E-bay at the very end of the year and pick up the few figures I actualy want. And I don't activly go places just to look for star wars figures anymore. Gas is too expensive to do that, so I only look when I have a reason to be in Target, Walmart, or even rarer, K-mart.

Kidhuman
04-24-2008, 04:16 PM
Its a toos up between Target and WM for me

Jedi_Kal-El
04-24-2008, 04:48 PM
The Targets and Wal-Marts here seem to alternate each year on who gets the newer stuff first and most often.

2-1B
04-24-2008, 05:05 PM
Frank and Sons is the go-to place in my town, that's where I score most of my collection.

StarWarsMom
04-24-2008, 06:30 PM
I've had the best luck at a local anime shop. Unfortunately they jack the prices up on their figures. I normally wouldn't pay that much for a figure, but they've gotten stuff in that I have never found at any of the TRU's or Target's in my area.

Tycho
04-24-2008, 07:03 PM
The answer will be one of 3 stores, but as others have said, never the same at the same point in any fiscal year:

1) Wal-Mart
2) Target
3) Toys R Us

What happens could be any combination below:

a) customers hide stuff. The computer inventory registers a case in stock, but the pegs are empty, yet 12 figures are still in the store hidden somewhere. The stashers forget where they put stuff, or don't need it, or don't regularly shop there, but the computer doesn't know where the stuff is. It just thinks it doesn't have to order more. If that happens at 1/3 stores, then the other 2 will become better places to shop.

b) the store buries stuff in backstock. Saga Legends took up too much pegspace and there is no room to stock TAC. Employees who don't care that much see both cases as "just SW figures" and don't distinguish any difference. The TAC goes in the back, gets outdated, while at the same time, the stock doesn't move unless SL is purchased - in which case the computer orders more stock of SL. The other 2 stores become better.

c) the above happen at the other 2 stores. Somebody has a clearance sale or a Hasbro Rep visits and does a good merchandising / stock shifting job. That retailer then pulls ahead.

I think in the course of collecting history, I've had my best finds at Target, though any Midnite Madness at TRU kicks the tar out of everything else. But Wal-Mart's stock-up during movie years can be awesome.

As of right now, 2008, Target is my WORST store however!

OC47150
04-24-2008, 07:31 PM
It's a toss-up between WM and Target.

Meijer has been good to me, too.

At Christmas, I found the Darth Malak, Reven, Mcsnowie and pre-cyborg Grevious at Kohl's, the first place I found them at retail. I used one of the late night/night owl sales and got them at the Target price.

Can't remember the last time I bought something at TRU or Kmart.

Since money's been tight, I try to wait for sales or clearance. But sometimes you have to bite the bullet and buy at full price.

Snowtrooper
04-24-2008, 10:22 PM
Wal-Mart and Target for me. We do have a K'Mart, Shopko, KB Toys, Gordmans, & Kohls, but they don't stock very well, so I don't look there very often. The closest TRU is 170 miles away, so needless to say I don't know what they're like.

jamesbondo07
04-24-2008, 11:57 PM
I have has the best luck with Wal-Mart and Target. It alternates, sometimes I find more stuff at Target or sometimes at Wal-Mart. I have found wave 1 and 2 at target and have found the legends wave at Wal-Mart.

I don't bother with K-Mart anymore they have a hard time stocking new figures and they are WAY OVER PRICED. Most other stores around my area rarely stock and are very expensive. But overall my luck at finding almost all the figures I am looking for has been really good. :thumbsup:

Jedi_Kal-El
04-25-2008, 02:54 AM
Meijer has been good to me, too.

Really? The ones up this way never get anything new for about 6-10 months after it comes out everywhere else usually. They did lower the prices of their figures back to $6.99 though.

Right now they have alot of SL such as Ep2 and 3 clones, Sandtroopers, R4-M9, and most of that wave just sitting.

dindae
04-25-2008, 09:35 AM
The top two are definately Target and Walmart. Walmart pretty consistantly gets new product but certain stores get clogged up occasionly and then that store is dead for a few months but other Walmarts in the same area are not affected it seems. Target is probably the smartest store as far as thier stock so they will cut back at times like now on how much they stock to avoid huge build ups. This is usually when Walmart takes over but when Target isn't cutting back I consistantly find new stuff there first. TRU was the best place early on 95-98 but they stopped being competitive. But lately I find they have stepped up thier game and I found a lot of UGH figures there last year and most of the later waves. I would put them above Walmart and Target on a check to find ratio but it isn't on the way home like the others so I don't check there as often. The other stores around here Kohl's, Kmart, and KayBee are all worthless.

Sinscia Fat'o
04-25-2008, 05:36 PM
Around here the best place to go for me is HTS! I've gotten most of my TAC stuff from them, and then Wal-Mart being a close second. Wal-Mart is only good very early in the mornings i;ve come to find out...As if you let it go past 8 AM, you might as well keep on going by it, as the scalpers have already picked everything clean by then. EE isn't bad either if you can find cases you like...though i only bought two this year, and i only plan on picking up the ROTJ case so far from 08..Targets has sucked this far in the year...I mean really sucked. I have not checked a TRU in at least a year if not longer... K-Marts isn't even worth mentioning as i bought one of the tins there and a s few saga 2 figures i was missing...but other than that i have not seen anything new at a K-Marts since Saga 2...

JediTricks
04-28-2008, 11:02 PM
Target has been most consistent, but they've been slipping the last year. WM has gotten the stuff too, but it never seems to be as findable on the pegs because of stocking issues. TRU actually was alright to me last year too, but unpredictable.

I have to agree that HasbroToyShop really stepped up last year though, I've begun to depend on them more and more.

I find that friends in other areas who are really dedicated have WM finds more than anything else, but it's WAY more work than I'm willing to put in.

figrin bran
04-28-2008, 11:38 PM
1. Target
2. TRU tied with HTS
3. Walmart. and that is a very, very, very distant third

Then again, these results are a function of how frequently I visit said stores. On my average store run, I will hit anywhere from 2 to 5 Targets, as many as 2-3 TRU's and only 1 WM.

JediTricks
04-29-2008, 01:14 AM
1. Target
2. TRU tied with HTS
3. Walmart. and that is a very, very, very distant third

Then again, these results are a function of how frequently I visit said stores. On my average store run, I will hit anywhere from 2 to 5 Targets, as many as 2-3 TRU's and only 1 WM.
Keep in mind, you and I shop in the same areas, so it's not surprising your list is very similar to mine, we have fewer WMs and they're further apart than the others.

plasticfetish
04-29-2008, 01:54 AM
Oh... those old days of 5 Targets, 5 Wal*Marts, and 3 TRUs just a few miles from my house... I remember them well. ;)

These days I'll hit Target every now and then, and maybe find something. Toys R Us has been bad when it comes to putting out new stock, so I don't look at either of my local stores very often. I'm at Fred Meyer at least once a week, and though they tend to be a little random when it comes to restocking, I do pretty well there. Wal*Marts are all terrible near me. I don't visit there very often anyway, but I think I've maybe seen something new just once at a Wal*Mart this year.

I've got a good local shop that puts out new cases as they come up, and though they tend to charge a bit more than Target or Wal*Mart ($7.99 per figure), I've considered it to be a better option than driving all over the county for nothing.

I've never been big on buying this stuff online. Just can't deal with how random the quality is, and how I wouldn't have a choice.

JediTricks
04-29-2008, 01:59 AM
Unless you're MOMC, hasbro's site is quite adequate for buying, and even if you do the mint thing, about 70% of the time they deliver that too (not the best odds, but better to take the risk than burn the gas, right mister "I moved away from the city to go live in the forest in the hippiest state in the union"? ;) )

plasticfetish
04-29-2008, 02:42 AM
I'm not such a stickler for mint cards (though if/when I get around to shooting them for this site, it is nice to have one that isn't all mashed.) Honestly though, I'd never trust that the paint jobs were okay with whatever random figure they were mailing me.

mister "I moved away from the city to go live in the forest in the hippiest state in the union"Oh... ouch! I think we're only the second hippiest BTW. I'm pretty sure Vermont is still number one. ;)

...and, moved away from the city? More like, moved to a real city.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-29-2008, 02:19 PM
Let's see, in my area, I have these stores that I visit with some regularity:
5 Targets
4 Wal-Marts
1 Toys R Us

Each has its pros and cons, but overall the Targets do get in figures quicker (or have recently). But it depends - last year I found several waves at a Wal-Mart, which hasn't restocked much since then.

I don't do much online shopping unless it's for older stuff or recent stuff I missed, but these stores usually get me what I need.

Mvader91
04-29-2008, 02:52 PM
Walmart and Toys R Us by far the local targets have scalpers pipelining figs out. Target blows.

JediTricks
05-01-2008, 09:28 PM
I'm not such a stickler for mint cards (though if/when I get around to shooting them for this site, it is nice to have one that isn't all mashed.) Honestly though, I'd never trust that the paint jobs were okay with whatever random figure they were mailing me.I'm not so picky, they generally come out the same as what I can find in stores. And it's not like you have a ton of chances to get the new stuff in stores to exchange it anyway.

Oh... ouch! I think we're only the second hippiest BTW. I'm pretty sure Vermont is still number one. ;)Vermont? No way, it's not on the west coast between another hippie-ish state. Plus, Oregon is California's Canada!

...and, moved away from the city? More like, moved to a real city.Hey now, them's fightin' words! LA is an Alpha World City, Portland isn't even a Gamma city. If you wanna get into pretty pictures of cities, I took this with my cellphone... in FEBRUARY!!!
http://img228.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sspx0584ia9.jpg

(that's my sporty white car with the sunroof open in the foreground, let's see you try that in Portland in winter)

plasticfetish
05-02-2008, 01:09 AM
LA is an Alpha World City, Portland isn't even a Gamma city.Does "Alpha World City" have something to do with you people going at each other like The Road Warrior once gas hits $6 a gallon? And that is a lovely photo, but it's too bad you can't get any closer to the beach than that, because of the high bacteria levels. :p

-----

On a related note (to this thread anyway), I just found out that the small shop where I've been finding new figures has decided to close now. Oh well.

Deoxyribonucleic
05-02-2008, 01:16 AM
Does "Alpha World City" have something to do with you people going at each other like The Road Warrior once gas hits $6 a gallon? And that is a lovely photo, but it's too bad you can't get any closer to the beach than that, because of the high bacteria levels. :p

-----

On a related note (to this thread anyway), I just found out that the small shop where I've been finding new figures has decided to close now. Oh well.

I swam in the ocean WAY more when I lived up in Seattle than I do here. And now with all these damn rogue Great Whites...forget about it!! We'd swim in 50 degree water, get numb and then it was like 80 degree water :thumbsup:

But I gotta say, there's no sunset anywhere in the continental U.S. that beats a So. Cal sunset by the beach :love:

Now on a related note as well, it walmart then TRU then target, unless I go to Bougie target in seal beach. Otherwise the targets here for the last two years have been ***t! Actually, come to think of it, all the stores around here lately have been ***t! But I haven't really been looking alot lately.

JediTricks
05-02-2008, 04:49 AM
Does "Alpha World City" have something to do with you people going at each other like The Road Warrior once gas hits $6 a gallon? Actually, with gas hovering around $4 a gallon, people seem almost unfazed by it on the road.

And that is a lovely photo, but it's too bad you can't get any closer to the beach than that, because of the high bacteria levels. :pFantacrap! The only reason I didn't get closer is because the view from that hill was breathtaking and I wanted to make you non-LA people jealous with how awe-inspiring my vista was. That and I had to pick my mom up from the dentist a few blocks inland so I didn't have time to frolic on the beach (which I might add was literally 1 street away from my location).

But I gotta say, there's no sunset anywhere in the continental U.S. that beats a So. Cal sunset by the beach :love:Tell 'em like it is, sister! In fact, I took some sunset photos last Sunday at Marina Del Rey with my sister, they were just shoot-from-the-hip afterthought shots but they're alright, and they only HINT at the true beauty of that random sunset.

GizorDellso
05-13-2008, 03:08 PM
I went to a local wal mart yesterday with me mum grocery shopping.I expected a letdown but to my surprise they had the whole wave with the shadow stormtroopers,neyo,etc.Bought 1 on each sold them to a friend and went back today to get omse figures for another potential buyer.I am only interested in the shadow stormy.

Devil King
05-20-2008, 09:38 PM
What store has the best overall selection you have ever seen? No place around here ever updates there stock but i have seen and bought the Force Unleashed line and at the Gordmans(!) i found a Darktrooper.So what is the best place to buy in your opinion.

I live in Central illinois FYI

The internet. Granted, you have to buy them for higer prices because 99.9% of on-line retailers are really just scaplers with a license to buy direct as well as profit from scalper prices. I live in san Francisco, proper, and without spending an entire day on public transport, there are no real outets for retail purchases. Of the 4 major locations that sell Star Wars or GI Joe figures, they charge enough for a figure to pay their rent and take advantage of public demand. And one store in particular doesn't seem to even consider new figures. In another, one still has to ask if they have the orange carded v. green carded versions of figures I bought before I could legally drink.

Basically, I have family members in other states looking for the figures I want (and, sadly, few of them are SW figures) and I order off the net. I don't have a car and I don't have to consider gas prices, so the scalper prices and shipping really irritate me. People who have to break the bank for gas are getting these figures for 7+ bucks (I remember when they were 5) at retail, and I'm dropping double-digit amounts for the same figures.

Sean the Hutt
05-20-2008, 11:11 PM
wow like Tycho said, it depends on the year. but given that I have found almost every Target exclusive, I will say Target. Then wal marts hit and miss depends on which one. then TRU. what is wrong with this picture? tru SHOULD be number 1, yet time after time the only dedicated toy store falls short! the last year I have missed a lot of figures.
1 less toy runs
2 collecting in so cal is tough..a lot of competition, plus a lot does not hit the pegs as it goes out the back door.
obviously star wars does not command a whole aisle anymore is Hasbro making less quantities? what is a standard figure production run?100000? 150000?
anyway Target exclusives rock

Blue2th
05-20-2008, 11:48 PM
Target gets my vote so far. I've found most of what I've been looking for there.
Not to mention some really cool exclusives this year.
Still want that Rancor though. Soon maybe.

obi-dad
05-22-2008, 02:17 PM
Here in St. Louis, I'd have to echo a lot of what I'm reading... Target overall has been best, followed by WalMart and then TRU. At any given time, any particular store can be better for a short period and as people are fond of saying, (even within one comany) your milage may very from store to store. For a while now, it seems WalMart pegs are full of old 2006/2007 figures.

I've recently started using HTS when they offer the 20-25% off and free shipping. I'm finally also weening myself of PT figures (well, definitely clones), but I will have to buy the Lars clan when Clieg, Owen & Beru finally come out. The rest kind of depends. So, with fewer figures to buy out of the waves, I don't go as often and started relying more and more on HTS or hit the stores when my favorite local website updates with St. Louis finds around town.