PDA

View Full Version : If you heat your food in tupperware or styrofoam, you could get cancer and die!

Tycho
04-24-2008, 08:08 PM
I read about this new study in my newspaper.

You know how you go to Panda Express and you get your happy panda meal in the foam to-go-box? Don't microwave it in that. Put the food on a plate!

Also don't microwave your food in tupperware storage containers!

Little bits of plastic get cooked into your food each time and the collagulate in your blood stream and organs! This is not healthy.

So you know how some people theorize that modern conveniences are causing modern health hazards? OK, I really don't even need to spell out the rest of this thought.

Just be a little less lazy with regards to washing one more dish if you heat up leftovers or bring in take-out.

El Chuxter
04-24-2008, 08:39 PM
Any plate or bowl that has a recycling code of 7 is apparently dangerous.

However, most food tastes better reheated in a pan or in the oven, two places plastic shouldn't go anyway. It takes longer, but the results are better.

Jargo
04-24-2008, 09:25 PM
hear hear. microwaves should only be used to defrost stuff that's been deep frozen in my opinion. food tastes 1,000,000,000,000 times better when cooked in a natural gas oven or on a natural gas hob. electric ovens dry food out too much. microwaved food tastes really odd to me. even if cooked on a plate. it has a sort of lack of real flavour and the food seems limp and dead somehow.

I always cook microwave meals in a real gas oven or on the stove top in a pan. Actually i say that but i don't cook anything. My partner does it. under my supervision....

Tycho
04-24-2008, 10:22 PM
Can anyone describe the recycling codes?

Chux referred to Code 7. Which is like what?

My paper had a reference guide to Codes 1-6 or more, but I'll have to see if I can find it. I'm asking anyone else in the meanwhile.

I lost my mother to cancer. It makes me wonder. And yes she did use tupperware, and I think she heated things in the microwave using it.

As to Jargo's comment about microwave meals (the kind that usually come in cardboard boxes) - I'd think they are fine prepared in the micro. He might be right about them tasting better prepared another way - but I don't buy those to take more time to prepare them.

Meanwhile, "Healthy Choice" which goes so far as to really attempt to either control or reveal their nutrician ingreedients, serves their microwave meals in plastic trays with plastic film covers over them. WTF? "Health food" cooked with real microscopic pieces of plastic in every bite? I'm really considering writing their company and asking them to change their packaging. The meals are still good. Their containers may not be. I wonder if it would do any good? Maybe I should write the newspaper?

Finally, isn't all this comparable to preparing salad greens for a healthy meal and then using arsenic for the flavored dressing?

Dang! I have other health problems that could likely claim my life first, but you'd think we'd have gotten a clue about this one sooner? Microwaves have been commonly around in homes since the 1980's!

Blue2th
04-24-2008, 11:34 PM
I saw an interview with Sheryl Crow, might have been on Larry King. Talking about her cancer survival. She was mentioning microwavable foods and the containers they come in causing cancer. She also mentioned water bottles that you leave in your car that get hot. Generally anything in plastic that gets to an extreme temperature is potentially suspect. She also mentioned the freezing part being harmful. I don't know where she got her info, but it sounded believable.

Let me guess was this study done by Scripps Clinic of San Diego? They were one of the first to say artificial sweeteners when heated (put in coffee) change their chemical makeup and are potentially cancerous. This was back in the eighties.

I threw out my Teflon lined pots and pans years ago because of the non-stick part flaking off and being ingested causing cancer. I only cook in stainless steel and occasionally cast iron now.

Mad Slanted Powers
04-25-2008, 02:10 AM
I threw out my Teflon lined pots and pans years ago because of the non-stick part flaking off and being ingested causing cancer. I only cook in stainless steel and occasionally cast iron now.I have a pot for cooking spaghetti. It has the holes in the lid to make it easier to strain. I started to notice dark specks in the macaroni and cheese. I finally realized it was coming from the pan, so I stopped using that one.

I can't think of too many situations where I cook stuff in plastic, other than TV dinner type things that come packaged that way. I wouldn't think the plastic covers on the Healthy Choice would be an issue. It's above the food and not really touching it. The small amount that could get in the food would probably not be an issue unless you ate food prepared this way all the time.

Besides, this might just be another one of those hyped up things that get posted on the internet, as this link suggests:

http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/d/dioxins.htm

Tycho
04-25-2008, 02:41 AM
Let me guess was this study done by Scripps Clinic of San Diego?

That's who's orchestrating my kidney transplant. :eek:

plasticfetish
04-25-2008, 03:19 AM
I put a post up about this over at Tycho's MySpace page... so you'll have to go over there and read it (if and when) he approves the comment. ;)

Tycho
04-25-2008, 03:30 AM
PlasticFetish: I'm sure I would have approved your comment, but I didn't see it at all!

I saw you gave me "kudos" on my blog - but maybe the comment just hasn't gone through the system yet? Anyway, I'll be on the lookout for it.

plasticfetish
04-25-2008, 03:58 AM
I'll try posting it again. (I swear MySpace is run by monkeys. I always have tons of problems posting things.)

Darth Jax
04-25-2008, 08:05 AM
Just the act of breathing will kill. Oxygen is a tremendous poison to the body, yet its also necessary for life. Styrofoam and plastics have been linked to cancer. Nalgene is getting ready to yank their bottle line from stores. Vaccines cause autism (which while it won't kill you, still sucks). There was a study a few years ago that showed at the temperature you deep fry potatoes for fries it changes the starch into carcinogens. Theres something like 35 different carcinogens in cigarette smoke. Face it, life is just one big ticking time-bomb.

TeeEye7
04-25-2008, 08:33 AM
Just the act of breathing will kill. Oxygen is a tremendous poison to the body, yet its also necessary for life. Styrofoam and plastics have been linked to cancer. Nalgene is getting ready to yank their bottle line from stores. Vaccines cause autism (which while it won't kill you, still sucks). There was a study a few years ago that showed at the temperature you deep fry potatoes for fries it changes the starch into carcinogens. Theres something like 35 different carcinogens in cigarette smoke. Face it, life is just one big ticking time-bomb.

Heck, the sun has been trying to kill me for a number of years, now. :mad: :sad:

jjreason
04-25-2008, 09:11 AM
Apparently the microwave also destroys all of the healthy living things in your food - probiotics or whatever - that help your body make enzymes for digestion.

Still hard to beat heating up a frozen burrito in one minute though. There's a flip side to everything. :D

Tycho
04-25-2008, 09:45 AM
In an update, PlasticFetish's comments (and JediTricks') made it to MySpace's blog (www.myspace.com/1977falcon).

In his comments, PF recommended I stop EATING my Star Wars action figures!

I realize I have some serious health concerns, but what do all of you guys DO once you've been compelled to sniff your new action figures? How do YOU resist eating them? Is there a 12 step program to deter this or something?

By the way, that Pre-Cyborg Grievous, dipped in sweet-n-sour or honey-mustard, might be very reminiscient of having frog legs (though I've never eaten real frog legs before - but Grievous just LOOKS like he has frog legs).

But don't tell me I'm the only one on this website who eats their Star Wars action figures?

[but seriously, PF posted some way interesting, REAL stuff about all the different kinds of plastics and how they stand up to heating, etc. - many thanks for his effort!]

Blue2th
04-25-2008, 09:58 AM
That's who's orchestrating my kidney transplant. :eek:
They're good over there. When I was staying with an older couple in North Park in the eighties. The lady there had that condition where the inside of your eye gets clouded up (forget what it's called) She went to Scripps and they analyzed a lock of her hair, determined what she was allergic to, put her on a strict diet, and it started to clear up.
I had never heard of such a thing back then. I mean hair analysis? Now it's a common thing, well with employment drug testing.

Mad Slanted Powers
04-25-2008, 11:11 AM
Vaccines cause autism (which while it won't kill you, still sucks). There is no conclusive proof of this. When that show Eli Stone had an episode where he helped a mother of an autistic child win a lawsuit against a company that made a vaccine, Dr. Dean Edell was quite upset about how this sort of thing feeds misinformation to people and create a mass hysteria for no reason. It's the same thing that get people to try every new fad diet, super food or miracle cure.

Jedi_Kal-El
04-25-2008, 11:36 AM
Pretty much anything can give you cancer these days. I'm waiting for them to say that if you spit into the wind the wrong way, you can get cancer, or that playing your Playstation or X-Box for too long will give you some kind of cancer.. It's ever changing every year.

Now, I'm not disputing what you're saying here Tycho. I believe it completly. It been stated for several years that microwaves can cause cancer in some form or another, and plastics do have several different chemicals in them that might promote this.

It's also funny how some things can be considered bad for you at one point in time, and then 5 years later when a new study is done, it finds that it's actually good for you to be doing the things that were bad, and bad to be doing the things that were good.

Blue2th
04-25-2008, 11:45 AM
There is no conclusive proof of this. When that show Eli Stone had an episode where he helped a mother of an autistic child win a lawsuit against a company that made a vaccine, Dr. Dean Edell was quite upset about how this sort of thing feeds misinformation to people and create a mass hysteria for no reason. It's the same thing that get people to try every new fad diet, super food or miracle cure.
Well for a while there, I don't know if they still do it, but the vaccine companies included Mercury in the vaccine for years! I mean WTF! and they wonder why kids got Autism.

Rocketboy
04-25-2008, 11:56 AM
If you heat your food in tupperware or styrofoam, you could get cancer and die!1998 called, they want their news story back.

JEDIpartner
04-25-2008, 12:13 PM
The title of this thread should be: "If you are alive and are breathing, eating or participating in any activity whatsoever, you may get cancer and die."

Tycho
04-25-2008, 12:32 PM
SirStevesGuide.com has been found to cause psychosis in a variety of laboratory animals that were tested.

Blue2th
04-25-2008, 01:07 PM
Lab Rats cause cancer.

Jedi_Kal-El
04-25-2008, 01:13 PM
SirStevesGuide.com has been found to cause psychosis in a variety of laboratory animals that were tested.

I've never doubted that. To be honest, everytime I see you post something on here, I'm more, and more convinced. :p

CaptainSolo1138
04-25-2008, 03:05 PM
1998 called, they want their news story back.
1989 called, they want their joke structure back.

Jedi_Kal-El
04-25-2008, 03:27 PM
1989 called, they want their joke structure back.

1990 called, they want '88 and '89 back.

mabudonicus
04-25-2008, 04:12 PM
hey guys, Chux just called, and he said to get back on topic or ELSE!!!

jjreason
04-25-2008, 04:58 PM
Is that Batman?

CaptainSolo1138
04-25-2008, 05:59 PM
I thought it was Catwoman.

TeeEye7
04-25-2008, 09:53 PM
Today it would seem that just by taking a swim in the ocean off of the coast of San Diego one might die.

Rocketboy
04-25-2008, 11:41 PM
1989 called, they want their joke structure back.Hey, old news calls for an old joke.

Tycho
04-26-2008, 12:51 AM
Today it would seem that just by taking a swim in the ocean off of the coast of San Diego one might die.

HeHeHe. I get the joke. :D

TeeEye7
04-26-2008, 07:42 AM
It wasn't meant as a joke.

I was just illustrating that death can happen at any time for any reason. Tupperware or great white sharks, almost anything can be the cause.

I thought the man's death in San Diego was tragic. An innocent swim in the ocean triggered a prey response from a predator, and a natrual, but horrible, event occurred.

Jedi_Kal-El
04-26-2008, 08:43 AM
Is that Batman?

Yes...

I thought it was Catwoman.

...Yes.

...and yes. It's all three.

Blue2th
04-26-2008, 10:09 AM
I had no idea you were talking about getting eaten, ouch!
I thought you were talking about the raw sewage that's dumped into the ocean from Mexico getting into your system from taking a swim at Imperial beach.

Tycho
04-26-2008, 11:49 AM
I thought he was recollecting that when my normal, mild-mannered alter-ego gets wet, a strange transformation happens and TYCHO appears!

But I'll have to Google a shark attack down here. I had no idea there was one that occurred recently. I DO read the newspaper constantly, but strongly focus on politics. However, something like a shark attack usually doesn't get by me.

Blue2th
05-16-2008, 01:04 PM
Here's another thing they discovered about plastic in your food:
Wed May 14, 10:32 AM EDT

GENEVA Exposure in the womb to common chemicals used to make everything from plastic bottles to pizza box liners may program a person to become obese later in life, U.S. researchers said on Wednesday.

Their studies of mice showed animals exposed to even tiny amounts of the chemicals during development were fatter when they grew older compared with mice not exposed to the compounds, they told the 2008 European Congress on Obesity.

"We are talking about an exposure at very low levels for a finite time during development," said Jerry Heindel of the U.S. National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences.

"The fact that it is such a sensitive period, it may be altering the tissue and making people more susceptible to obesity."

The World Health Organization estimates some 400 million people are obese, a problem that raises the risk of conditions like type 2 diabetes and heart disease.

Previous studies have linked these chemicals -- also found in water pipes -- to cancer and reproductive problems, prompting a number of countries and U.S. states to consider potential bans or limits of the compounds, the researchers said.

One of the chemicals is called Bisphenol A, found in polycarbonate plastics. Past research has suggested it leaches from plastic food and drink containers.

A team at Tufts University in the United States showed that female mice whose mothers were exposed to this chemical early in pregnancy gained more weight in adulthood even though they ate the same amount of food and were as active as other mice.

A similar effect occurred with perfluorooctanoic acid -- a greaseproofing agent used in products such as microwave popcorn bags. These animals were unusually small at birth then became overweight later in life.

"One of the problems we are finding is we don't know where all these chemicals are," said Suzanne Fenton, a research biologist at the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, whose research focused on perfluorooctanoic acid.

The chemicals appear to disrupt the endocrine system by altering gene and metabolic function involved in weight gain, said Bruce Blumberg, a University of California biologist.

The result is the offspring store fat cells more efficiently, which makes them gain weight, he said. Blumberg studied tributylin, a chemical used in boat paint, plastic food wrap and as a fungicide on crops.

The findings suggest some people may be programmed to obesity before birth and underscore the need to identify biomarkers scientists can use to identify people at risk, the researchers said.

"We are calling this an emerging hypothesis," Heindel said. "Most of the data is in animals and we want to develop some biomarkers that could be used in humans.

El Chuxter
07-23-2009, 12:55 PM
Last night, I was hungry, and I was sort of lazy. So I took some leftovers out of the fridge and put them in the microwave.

Long story short, I died.

Blue2th
07-23-2009, 01:10 PM
Last night, I was hungry, and I was sort of lazy. So I took some leftovers out of the fridge and put them in the microwave.

Long story short, I died.

...."in your arms tonight." Eenee beanee chili weanee, I command that song to be in your head the rest of the day. :razz:

El Chuxter
07-23-2009, 01:15 PM
I am protected from the wiles of Cutting Crew by the superior cheesiness of Billy Ocean.

bigbarada
07-23-2009, 02:57 PM
Lab Rats cause cancer.

Actually chemotherapy causes cancer. Have you noticed that the number of chemotherapy patients who have cancer is close to 100%? :eek:

:p

pbarnard
07-23-2009, 03:07 PM
I thought it was oncologists. I mean, 100% of their patients have cancer, they prescribe chemo etc.

Blue2th
07-23-2009, 07:33 PM
I am protected from the wiles of Cutting Crew by the superior cheesiness of Billy Ocean.

Ah yes, good point. lol At least the Cutting Crew had a good guitarist (yes I own the CD)

"Carribean Queen, now were sharing the same dream, and our hearts they beat as one, no more love on the run."

That's from memory. :cross-eye