PDA

View Full Version : Build-a-droid part news: oh joy . . .

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-25-2008, 08:05 PM
From TheJawa's Q&A: (http://www.sandtroopers.com/smf/index.php?topic=8437.msg182819#msg182819)

3: For the figures that are going to contain pieces for the build-a-droid assortments, how are you going to pack these figures in case ratio wise so that fans and collectors can get everything that they want/need to build the droids? For the astromech droids you said it would be 6 figures to a droid, so that would mean 2 of each figure in a 12 figure case. But, for the protocol droids, you said 8 figures per wave would build 2 driods. But how are you going to pack those 8 figures in a 12 figure case? Basically stores are going to end up with 2 and 1/2 droids per case? Do you think that these "extra" figures are going to get left behind and become peg warmers? Especially when it will be the same 4 in every case?? Do you think this is going to cause problems at retail? Or cause problems with the fans?

Outstanding question and one we are happy to answer. The case will remain a 12 pack, and we will work only with "whole" droids available in every case pack, with either 2 copies of that protocol available in every case or 3 Astros (2 of one Astro and 1 of the second). There will be no cases with only half droids available. We have thought this through *very* carefully, understanding the needs of collectors, and we have a case ratio solution that should satisfy everyone. Here is our approach: First, the Droid Factory line is designed so that collectors only have to buy one of each new (and that includes new tool as well as refreshed/updated) figure to get every part needed to complete every bonus buildable droid. If collectors just bought 1 each of figures 1-52 (approximate number we expect by end of Spring 2009) in the first wave in which they are introduced, they will have all the droids. Second, there is some redundancy built into the lineup in two ways: there will be select "greatest hits" that round out the case packs that will carry duplicates of the droid parts (these are usually kid-targeted figures, or figures where nothing has changed so figure completists can ignore these), as well as typical carryforwards we do from wave to wave to maximize potential for certain characters. Sometimes there will be 2 of each new figure in every case, and some waves will have 1 of each new figure as well as some greatest hits/carryforwards from prior waves. Third, when figures are carried forward from one wave to the next, they will switch to the new droids available rather than carryforward what would be an "old" part when the new droids are intro'd. So that means that when we get to Wave 2, for example, it will only be protocol droid parts in the case pack and no Astro Droid parts, and vice-versa. This is to give a more ample distribution of each new droid as our intent is to NOT make certain droids scarcer overall but to have good availability. This does mean that popular characters that will be continued across waves, such as Vader, will have several droid combinations possible depending upon how many waves he is slotted into. We are cognizant of minimizing these variations and are working to keep these combinations down for the true completist who has to have everything, but carryforwards are inevitable to satisfy our kid market.
Basically, when the figures ship out again, they will have different droid parts, which will likely make it harder to get the whole droid if you don't get the figure right away. Also, any army builders in the "greatest hits" line will have a bunch of useless droid parts.

Hopefully it won't be so bad, but it still kind of sucks.

Beast
04-25-2008, 09:36 PM
Yeah, but they'll be duplicate parts to help folks finish their droids easier. It sounds to me more like they're trying to make it easier for folks to complete the droids. Even if they're actually making things more difficult for themselves.

GizorDellso
04-25-2008, 10:00 PM
Wow i hope it doesnt end up where there is the one pack noone wants on the shelves at all times. that would suck

TheDarthVader
04-25-2008, 10:43 PM
How come a get a negative feeling with this already? People going for certain droid parts instead of figures so they can complete them, and the parts someone needs not being in the figure they want to buy. This is gonna really suck. Mark my words. Hasbro can't even sell their marvel legends (by the way). This thing is gonna suck.

Jargo
04-26-2008, 05:55 AM
it would have been so much easier to box up a bunch of droids and sell them separately without all this stupid hunting needed. As i understand it people were wanting a modern take on the droid factory idea not a frustrating search and having to buy figures they don't want just to get that missing part. build a figure dealios work great for larger characters where you couldn't get the whole thing on a blister, great way to get a big dude out. But on a tiny figure it's pretty useless as a concept.

jjreason
04-26-2008, 07:03 AM
It would have been better if they just packed random droid parts in with each figure so no one could tell which part (or even which droid) was included. To make it even sweeter they could REALLY limit the heads of the droids, making it virtually impossible to complete any of them without buying hundreds of figures.

:rolleyes:

sebillba
04-26-2008, 07:06 AM
I'm just glad they're all EU droids (I think?) so I won't have to stress about getting them all. (Though if I'm missing one part, I guess I will make the effort to finish it off.)

Love the new avatar Jargo!! :D

jjreason
04-26-2008, 07:15 AM
Maybe they'll consider offering up just the various parts as a mail away offer down the road so people can finish off their droids for a reasonable price. I'm going to post the concept in Dear Hasbro in case they venture in there.

DarkArtist
04-26-2008, 10:48 AM
does anyon know when the Walmart Build a Droid Exclusives are going to be coming around. I thought they were set for an April release ? have they been set for the 7/26 launch date as well.

Jedi_Kal-El
04-26-2008, 03:41 PM
does anyon know when the Walmart Build a Droid Exclusives are going to be coming around. I thought they were set for an April release ? have they been set for the 7/26 launch date as well.

I think most of them are slated for 7/26, but don't quote me on that.

Devo
04-26-2008, 06:20 PM
I really don't care about this build-a-droid thing anyway. I hardly think something the size of a typical basic figure warrants being split into composite parts to be collected and assembled. They probably won't even look right, or feel like real figures when assembled. How bout 'build-a-playset' or 'build-an-Executor-Bridge', I'd be down for that - at least those would seem to better justify being divided into pieces.

Jargo
04-26-2008, 07:12 PM
I don't even know which figures are part of this dealio. i remember seeing pics a few weeks back but they can't have been too impressive or i would have remembered them.

i feel sorry for the kids who only get one figure every once in a blue moon that gets some random droid part in with the figure and wonders why the hell life is so unfair that the economic recession has meant mom and Dad have no spare cash to lavish on junior. he'll never get that whole droid and be forever left to stare in pained anguish at the solitary droid leg he owns....

Kidhuman
04-26-2008, 08:10 PM
Sounds like it is case ordering time

Jedi_Kal-El
04-27-2008, 08:01 AM

That's what I'm beginning to think. I love going out and hunting the pegs as much as the next person, but I don't always have the money on had to buy all of one single wave in one trip.

Good thing about getting this news now, is that I can start setting aside a bit of cash if I do decide to purchase by the case.

mtriv73
04-27-2008, 08:23 AM

That's what I was thinking too. Although HTS has been pretty good about having things available recently (if you're fast enough.) The only droids I really care about are the astromechs, but I'll probably get them all anyway.

Jargo
04-27-2008, 02:00 PM
so is there a list of all the B.A.D sets? I can only remember that there's a watto and astro droid pack and a saesee tiin and astro droid. beyond that, ???????????????????

Sinscia Fat'o
04-27-2008, 05:10 PM
I think this might be a good call for Hasbro as the only thing that we'll be chaseing is droid parts and not figures. So if you have a collector network like well this people can trade the parts as they get them and everyone is happy. Because let's face it some of us buy multiples of figures for scene building and we don't need six C3P-X torsoe pieces just laying around if someone else needs them why not hook them up. I think hasbro's heart is in the right place for this...for once. Hell must be frooze over today.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-27-2008, 05:29 PM
so is there a list of all the B.A.D sets? I can only remember that there's a watto and astro droid pack and a saesee tiin and astro droid. beyond that, ???????????????????
There's Watto, Vader, pilot Luke, Hoth Han, Plo Koon, and Kit Fisto with their respective droids and C-3PX parts. But those are just the Wal-Mart exclusive ones.

El Chuxter
04-27-2008, 08:05 PM
Is Kit Fisto's droid smiling like a hyena? Dude, I hope so!

Also, are the parts interchangeable, so we could build a hideous Frankenstein droid?

Jedi_Kal-El
04-27-2008, 08:13 PM
Is Kit Fisto's droid smiling like a hyena? Dude, I hope so!

Also, are the parts interchangeable, so we could build a hideous Frankenstein droid?

Don't know about the smiling droid, but the parts on all are supose to be interchangable, yes.

El Chuxter
04-27-2008, 08:18 PM
Awesome.

I seriously think a made-up Frankenstein droid would be a cooler addition to any collection than a made-up EU droid who's not actually from anything. You could come up with all sorts of backstory about how the parts don't match. You know, like the backstory George didn't come up with concerning C-3PO's silver leg.

Jedi_Kal-El
04-27-2008, 08:21 PM
Awesome.

I seriously think a made-up Frankenstein droid would be a cooler addition to any collection than a made-up EU droid who's not actually from anything. You could come up with all sorts of backstory about how the parts don't match. You know, like the backstory George didn't come up with concerning C-3PO's silver leg.

George is going to add that(gold leg explanation) to the next revamp of the OT when it gets re-released on DVD.

I agree with you on the Frankenstien droids though. I plan on making a few up with all the parts.

Jargo
04-28-2008, 08:50 AM
Am I alone in thinking the R7 droid looks like something from a cheapo star wars rip off?

Sinscia Fat'o
04-28-2008, 12:14 PM
Am I alone in thinking the R7 droid looks like something from a cheapo star wars rip off?

No your not, i personally hate the way that figure looks, and that was my intial thought as well. I think hasbro ran out of ideas.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-28-2008, 02:14 PM
You guys are mixing up the Wal-Mart sets with the regular BAD figures . . . the parts that come with the basic figures are interchangeable, as are, I assume, the C-3PX parts that come in the Wal-Mart sets. However, the full droids that come with the Wal-Mart sets do not have interchangeable parts, as far as I know, so don't get your hopes up.

Jargo
04-28-2008, 02:21 PM
now you're just confusing me. think it's time someone set out a list of these things. otherwise it'll become a nightmare.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-28-2008, 07:50 PM
now you're just confusing me. think it's time someone set out a list of these things. otherwise it'll become a nightmare.
I'll do my best.

The Wal-Mart exclusive Droid Factory two-packs come in packages that look like this (http://www.rebelscum.com/tf2008/hasbro/Ex/IMG_8920.JPG). They should be out July 1. When you collect all six, you can build C-3PX (http://www.rebelscum.com/tf2008/hasbro/Ex/IMG_8917.JPG). The six sets can be seen here (http://www.rebelscum.com/tf2008/Hasbro/presentation/Slide39.JPG) and here (http://www.rebelscum.com/tf2008/Hasbro/presentation/Slide40.JPG). The figures are re-releases, repaints, or retools, apart from K-3PX who looks all new. Since the droids are based on existing molds, their parts are NOT interchangeable.
The figures are:
*Plo Koon & R4-F5
*Luke Skywalker (Pilot) & R2-D2 (Blast Damage)
*Darth Vader & K-3PX
*Kit Fisto & R4-H5
*Watto & R2-T0
*Han Solo (Hoth, blue, hood-up) & K-3PO

The basic figures in The Legacy Collection, coming July 26, each have their own droid part (in place of a coin or stand or what have you). From what I understand, any wave of 8 figures will have two buildable astromech droids, and any wave of 6 figures will have one buildable protocol droid. So far, they have announced two waves of figures.

Wave 1 - Return of the Jedi - seen here (http://www.rebelscum.com/tf2008/Hasbro/presentation/Slide12.JPG) and here (http://www.rebelscum.com/tf2008/Hasbro/presentation/Slide13.JPG)
1. Han Solo
2. Luke Skywalker
3. Chewbacca
4. Leektar & Nippet
5. Ak-Rev
6. Yarna d’al Gargan
7. Bane Malar
8. Darth Vader
Buildable droids: R4-D6 and R7-Z0

Wave 2 - Clone Wars (original microseries) - seen here (http://www.rebelscum.com/tf2008/Hasbro/presentation/Slide14.JPG) and here (http://www.rebelscum.com/tf2008/Hasbro/presentation/Slide15.JPG)
Saesee Tiin (General)
Padmé Amidala (Ilum)
Obi-Wan Kenobi (General)
Clone Scuba Trooper
IG Lancer Droid
Quarren Soldier
Mon Calamari Warrior
Clone Trooper with Quad Cannon
Buildable droids: R7-T1 and R4-J1

There will be a few more waves as well.

Jargo
04-28-2008, 08:15 PM
Aaaaaaah - now I got it. Thank you. from that list I only plan on getting the following:

Ak-Rev
Yarna d’al Gargan
Bane Malar

I'll probably just bin the droid parts like i did with the coins.

El Chuxter
04-28-2008, 09:25 PM
I might have to work out a deal for whatever comes with Illum Padme, since I want the rest of those. I have absolutely no problem with the BattlePack version, and, in fact, think it's one of the best figures Hasbro's made in the last couple of years. I'll have all the other pieces, anyway.

jedi master sal
04-29-2008, 09:58 AM

Yep. I'm planning on that too. RazorsEdge should have the cases. So if we get 2 Astromech sets per case, looks like I'll have a full set to trade or sell (at cost of course).

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-29-2008, 12:15 PM
Yep. I'm planning on that too. RazorsEdge should have the cases. So if we get 2 Astromech sets per case, looks like I'll have a full set to trade or sell (at cost of course).
Since there are two astro droids to an 8-figure wave, and 12 figures in a case, my guess is that one of the droids will be in the case once and the other will be in there twice, since Hasbro said they didn't want to include half a droid in a case.

dindae
04-29-2008, 01:13 PM
I don't really find any of the droids as a must have since I haven't seen any reference of them being canon. So there is no stress there. In fact I think I will pass now on the whole Wal-Mart group and the Clone Wars wave. I just hope there isn't someone out there planning on getting all of the different variations of figure and droid part. I like the BAF idea and I don't mind the droids. Ultimately it is just a pack in and it is better by far than a coin or a holo figure.

TheCivilCollector
05-19-2008, 03:37 AM
I'm not going to even try on this one. Something tells me these figures will go the way of the "Separation of the Twins" two-packs and be impossible to find. At least in full sets.

I like the figure building idea, though. I wish they would include random parts in figures (like someone else mentioned) instead of stupid stuff like com-tech chips (God help us), or lame holo-figurettes.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
06-20-2008, 04:41 PM
my WM got these in and they were on the floor today. I'm passing as it's pretty much nothing but repacks; $9.96 is a bit steep for two repacks.

mtriv73
06-20-2008, 05:23 PM
my WM got these in and they were on the floor today. I'm passing as it's pretty much nothing but repacks; $9.96 is a bit steep for two repacks.

For me, it's worth the price for the astromech repaints. I'm looking forward to them, but really couldn't care less about C3pX.

El Chuxter
06-20-2008, 09:03 PM
If people feel that way, I might be interested in taking a C-3PX (or the parts thereof) off someone's hands.

Thunderbird
06-20-2008, 09:40 PM
I pick two sets of these up this morning. They must have put out at least 10 or 12 cases. I love stuff like this. The C-3PX figure is very cool. a lot more articulation than I expected.

SplFrcsCWO
06-23-2008, 04:28 AM
Are the R4 droids labeled in error? I thought they had hexagonal shaped domes.

Phantom-like Menace
06-23-2008, 09:49 AM
Lucas decided to call Obi-Wan's Episode II droid R4-something (I don't remember the second half off the top of my head) despite the R2-style head. It was pointed out to him that it was incorrect, but he decided to do it anyway. He then proceeded to have every one of Obi-Wan's dome-headed astromechs named R4-XX (where XX is a letter/number sequence). It's therefore been established that a sub-series of R4 series astromechs were made with dome heads for use in Jedi starfighters.

Otherwise, I went into Wal-Mart today hoping to find these sets and found that they had come in and sold through down to one stupid Luke/R2, the one set I don't want. I'm going to try another two stores before the end of the day, but I'm not optimistic.

Update: Well, goose egg at the first store, but at the second store, I got Plo, Kit, Watto, and Han, all of the ones I wanted, and a Kashyyyk clone/Wookiee, though it's probably the only one I'll ever get.

DarkJedi5
06-24-2008, 09:24 AM
I am having zero luck with the WMs around me. I don't live close so I always call before hand with the item numbers and they always tell me they just sold out. How long have these been on shelves?

jedi master sal
06-24-2008, 10:12 AM
I am having zero luck with the WMs around me. I don't live close so I always call before hand with the item numbers and they always tell me they just sold out. How long have these been on shelves?

Just a few days. I lucked into a set last night.

obi-dad
06-24-2008, 01:18 PM
I wouldn't worry about the WalMart exclusive BAD 2packs. The ones around St. Louis all have them (got them late last week) and there was an entire endcap full plus additional sets on the shelves where the SW figures were. There wasn't a single 2-pack that was sold out yet.

mtriv73
06-24-2008, 02:12 PM
I still haven't seen them at either Wal-mart here in Frederick, MD, but I heard that the Germantown WM (20 miles away) got them late last week. We did have the comic-packs last friday though and they were still all available as of yesterday. I hope the 2-packs show up eventually or at least will be put up for sale on WM's website soon.

Blue2th
06-24-2008, 05:51 PM
Depending on which side of town you're in they are either wittled down to a few, to the end caps being overloaded with them, or a bunch right next to some Cantina packs that still haven't sold.
It would be nice if I could just get the droids, and the C3-PX without the repaints.
I still haven't bought any yet.

JetsAndHeels
06-24-2008, 08:02 PM
I picked up a set earlier tonight. There was an entire endcap of them.

Of course I am out of town for a work trip. I am certain my local Walmart at home doesn't have a single one.

obi-dad
06-25-2008, 06:46 AM
Shoot! (pardon my language!) :D I was going to return about half of this set, since I really don't care about building C-3PX, but after reading Galatic Hunter's write-up on these, I may keep them.

Old Fossil
06-25-2008, 08:20 AM
These sets make me mad. I'd have to fork over $10 to get a new droid and a figure I already have and don't want/need. I like Watto's droid and Plo Koon's droid, but not enough to give a Hamilton for.

Sorry Hasbro, I'm not taking the proffered bait.:upset:

Blue2th
06-25-2008, 08:26 AM
Shoot! (pardon my language!) :D I was going to return about half of this set, since I really don't care about building C-3PX, but after reading Galatic Hunter's write-up on these, I may keep them.

He's good, not that reviews here aren't either, but he sure is prolific with "figure of the day" I almost got talked into buying them, almost.

mtriv73
06-25-2008, 09:57 AM
Found 'em this morning. The only one in short supply oddly enough was Han and R3P0. There were 2 of that one and at least 6 each of the rest.

obi-dad
06-25-2008, 11:38 AM
Found 'em this morning. The only one in short supply oddly enough was Han and R3P0. There were 2 of that one and at least 6 each of the rest.

That makes sense to me (with my taste and OT priorities). The Han & Luke were the 2 sets I knew I was going to get. With the improvements on both the vintage Luke & vintage Han, and the improved R-3PO and the blasted R2, those were definitely my favorites.

bkh0501
06-27-2008, 05:46 PM
The blasted R2 IMO is the only one worth purchasing. If you are an Astro-Droid fanatic, and don't mind repaints, or don't have the other figures, then this is a great set...

Mad Slanted Powers
06-28-2008, 02:18 PM
So people are finding these already then? I thought this would be part of the July 26 release. I saw no sign of them at Wal-Mart today, though I did see the exclusive comic packs.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-28-2008, 02:35 PM
So people are finding these already then? I thought this would be part of the July 26 release. I saw no sign of them at Wal-Mart today, though I did see the exclusive comic packs.
They're kind of a preview of the other build-a-droids. A little taste of what's to come, if you will.

Mad Slanted Powers
06-28-2008, 02:52 PM
Well, either way, I didn't see them today. I looked on the ends and at the entrance to the store. I'm guessing they haven't put them out yet.

obi-dad
06-28-2008, 08:23 PM
I found them a week ago on the end caps on the Star Wars isle. I read about others finding them about a week prior to that.

jedi master sal
06-29-2008, 10:29 AM
I found them earlier in the week and did see one of the new comic packs (Lando). However I didn't see the Clone/wookiee pack. If anyone sees this and can help me out. I just want ONE of them.

Sinscia Fat'o
06-29-2008, 03:12 PM
I found the two packs of the B-a-D last week, but i hadn't seen them at every Wal-Mart yet...Weird and i also seen the comic packs, and i passed on all of those things...useless repacks.

The Build a Droid packs were decent i like the R2- and Luke pack because i've always wanted a R2 like that and i missed out on Luke in X-Wing from the vintage line...but other than that the only real highlight from those sets in C-3PX awesome figure! I expected this to be cheap and rather boring but they did a great job on that figure. Oh and the Droid that comes with Vader is another great figure.

DarkJedi5
06-29-2008, 03:46 PM
I found them yesterday at WM, they were stacked on top of the shelves and I had to find an employee with a latter to get them down for me but I was able to grab the whole set.

FundingMyAddiction
06-30-2008, 12:44 PM
I found them earlier in the week and did see one of the new comic packs (Lando). However I didn't see the Clone/wookiee pack. If anyone sees this and can help me out. I just want ONE of them.

That's bizarre, I've seen the wookie pack at every Wal-Mart I've been to since they got put on the shelves.

As far as the Droid Factory 2-packs, I also found them on the shelves already. I was under the impression that they weren't coming out until July 1st, but I checked and sure enough they were there. It looked like a couple people had already picked out the good ones and I was only able to pick up 3 of the 6.

Neuroleptic
07-03-2008, 06:02 PM
So what are the droid factory packs going for? This will play a huge part in me deciding if I'm going to get them or not. I'm mostly interested in the droids and not the other figures that come with them. Honest truth, I'm not too interested in the wal mart exclusives and am waiting to see what the others are. But this'll allow me to decide. Only reason I'm asking is 'cause they havn't shown up in my area yet.

obi-dad
07-03-2008, 06:22 PM
So what are the droid factory packs going for? This will play a huge part in me deciding if I'm going to get them or not. I'm mostly interested in the droids and not the other figures that come with them. Honest truth, I'm not too interested in the wal mart exclusives and am waiting to see what the others are. But this'll allow me to decide. Only reason I'm asking is 'cause they havn't shown up in my area yet.

For the WalMart 2-packs, I think it was about $10.88, but that was a couple of weeks ago, it may have only been $9.88. I'll have to find my receipt.

JetsAndHeels
07-03-2008, 06:33 PM
Mine were $9.88.

I just need to make a comment about these...I really like the droids, but the vader pack used probably one of the worst Vaders they could have possibly packed in there. That stupid action feature Vader where you squeeze the legs and he "swings" his lightsaber. Horrible quality.

But the droids are cool.

Mad Slanted Powers
07-03-2008, 08:01 PM
Still no sight of them here. I checked after work today hoping I might find them and not have to go looking for them on Saturday. I'm not sure how likely they would be there then either. I'd hate to make another trip over there because there is nothing else I want that Wal-Mart or Target are likely to have before 7/26.

omnithx
07-04-2008, 12:17 AM
Got a set of them myself here in Australia. You guys should be thankful you're only paying $10.00US for them, they charge us $20.00AU even though our currency is almost identical on the stock market.

obi-dad
07-04-2008, 03:48 PM
Got a set of them myself here in Australia. You guys should be thankful you're only paying $10.00US for them, they charge us $20.00AU even though our currency is almost identical on the stock market.

Buy me a ticket to come visit you in Australia and I'll bring a suitcase full of them and any other figures you want (up to the size of the suitcase). Do that and I would probably feel so generous, I would just give you the figures for free! :thumbsup:

obi-dad
07-04-2008, 03:50 PM
Mine were $9.88.

I just need to make a comment about these...I really like the droids, but the vader pack used probably one of the worst Vaders they could have possibly packed in there. That stupid action feature Vader where you squeeze the legs and he "swings" his lightsaber. Horrible quality.

But the droids are cool.

I really didn't want to read that. I haven't opened mine yet, so I wasn't aware of that. I don't remember reading that in the GH rundown of the figures, but I really don't remember much from that article. Are you sure someone didn't swap the Vader?

JetsAndHeels
07-04-2008, 04:27 PM
I really didn't want to read that. I haven't opened mine yet, so I wasn't aware of that. I don't remember reading that in the GH rundown of the figures, but I really don't remember much from that article. Are you sure someone didn't swap the Vader?

Oh, I am sure. You cannot move the lightsaber in his hand, and it features that action feature where you squeeze his legs to get him to use the saber.

Hey, don't let that bother you too much though. I still like these sets very much. My favorites (besides the droids) are the Luke and the Han. I think they are cool figures.

Blue2th
07-04-2008, 06:59 PM
Buy me a ticket to come visit you in Australia and I'll bring a suitcase full of them and any other figures you want (up to the size of the suitcase). Do that and I would probably feel so generous, I would just give you the figures for free! :thumbsup:

Yeah good idea! I want to come too. Need to visit the Aussie side of my family. I'll bring you something too.

Maybe obi-dad and I can have a bidding war? :razz:

excuse me obi-dad, I'll get off of your cloud now. :)

omnithx
07-04-2008, 09:28 PM
Yeah good idea! I want to come too. Need to visit the Aussie side of my family. I'll bring you something too.

Maybe obi-dad and I can have a bidding war? :razz:

Hey, maybe you guys are onto something. I organise a group booking and everyone brings me suitcases full of figures. Then we sell them in the inflated market over here and everyone wins.:thumbsup:

Oh hang on, ebay does that without the plane tickets. :p

FundingMyAddiction
07-07-2008, 06:05 PM

They're priced at $9.99. I think they're cool but most of the main figures are not going to be new to most collectors. The one cool thing they're doing is trying a wire mesh in the robes of Kit Fisto so you can pose the robe and it doesn't just hang there completely limp. Aside from that, they're basically repaints.

I'm also excited to get a C-3PX figure, though if that's all you're interested in, you can probably pick one up cheaper on eBay.

I went around to several other Wal-Marts and called them about the Droid Factory sets and the original WM was the only one that actually had them. Several of the other stores tried to tell me that it could be specific to just one store (not realizing that it's a NATIONAL deal/exclusive). I went back to the original store and they told me they had only gotten the one shipment and didn't expect to get any more. Very frustrating. If you actually want to get the set of six, you're probably going to be paying an arm and a leg on eBay.

Thunderbird
07-09-2008, 09:51 PM
I just pick up a couple more sets of these for 5 bucks each. I bought the whole case and returned them on receipts I had from three weeks ago. So basicly I got my second set for free:thumbsup::D

Also the basic carded figures were $3.50. I guess they are getting ready for the CW.

Blue2th
07-09-2008, 10:06 PM
I just pick up a couple more sets of these for 5 bucks each. I bought the whole case and returned them on receipts I had from three weeks ago. So basicly I got my second set for free:thumbsup::D

Also the basic carded figures were $3.50. I guess they are getting ready for the CW.

Already on sale in SD huh? :thumbsup: I'll be watching to see if my local Walmart's do the same. There seems to be a lot of them here, but once they hit clearance, they'll go fast I'm sure.

Thunderbird
07-09-2008, 10:11 PM
Ya I was a little surprised myself, only at one store so far. The toy manager said it was the last box they had. All the other Wal Marts by me still had them at full price.

sith_killer_99
07-09-2008, 10:34 PM
These sets had a lot of potential, but fell flat IMHO.

Instead of Build-A-Driod they could have made these into a droid factory set!

Each protocol droid could have come with removable head, arms, and legs. Each astro mech could have had a removable dome and legs.

Then when your buy different sets you could mix and match to build your own unique droids.

Collectors would buy 'em and kids would have a ton of play value from them, thus encouraging buying multiple sets from both of Hasbro's "target" demographics.

Hasbro missed the boat on the potential of these sets. Ah well, such is the way of things.:(

FundingMyAddiction
07-10-2008, 03:08 PM
These sets had a lot of potential, but fell flat IMHO.

Instead of Build-A-Driod they could have made these into a droid factory set!

Each protocol droid could have come with removable head, arms, and legs. Each astro mech could have had a removable dome and legs.

Then when your buy different sets you could mix and match to build your own unique droids.

Collectors would buy 'em and kids would have a ton of play value from them, thus encouraging buying multiple sets from both of Hasbro's "target" demographics.

Hasbro missed the boat on the potential of these sets. Ah well, such is the way of things.:(

Uh, is this not what they're doing with the pack ins for the upcoming Legacy line?

I was under the impression that each figure is going to include some part of a droid and at the end you'll be able to build multiple astromech and protocol droids.

It's taking the place of the coins.

obi-dad
07-10-2008, 03:13 PM
Uh, is this not what they're doing with the pack ins for the upcoming Legacy line?

I was under the impression that each figure is going to include some part of a droid and at the end you'll be able to build multiple astromech and protocol droids.

It's taking the place of the coins.

No, what sk was referring to was the possibility of selling sets including multiple pieces, so that instead of each one extra piece collected together from wave A making droid A, they could have sold sets indluding multiple interchangeable droid parts, so you could build multiple unique droids, depending on which parts you decide to put together.... unless I'm reading your post wrong, sith killer.

FundingMyAddiction
07-10-2008, 04:05 PM
No, what sk was referring to was the possibility of selling sets including multiple pieces, so that instead of each one extra piece collected together from wave A making droid A, they could have sold sets indluding multiple interchangeable droid parts, so you could build multiple unique droids, depending on which parts you decide to put together.... unless I'm reading your post wrong, sith killer.

Ah. I guess I'm not sure how they're packaging them. I would assume they use the same general connector parts so I thought you could switch things around. Is it truly going to be that one leg can only fit into one R2 unit?

DarkArtist
07-12-2008, 07:37 AM

I have yet to even see these at retail yet and they are already marked down to $5.00 a two pack ? I thought they were going to be launched on or around the same time as the Big Clone Wars launch on the 26th. I really hope the Walmart by me gets these, I do not want to pay scalper prices for the figures. I really want a C-3PX figure and the other droids as well.

My walmart is so bare right now all they have is 10 pegs stocked with the first wave of Indy figures, 10 pegs of the Dark Knight wave, 6 pegs of older TAC figures (mainly repaint wave with a few Obi's and Anakins from the '08 TAC and a few Juno Eclipses), 3 pegs of comic packs that haven't moved in months. the store doesn't even have a sticker stated that the droid packs have hit yet.

Mad Slanted Powers
07-12-2008, 10:15 AM
I stopped by Wal-Mart after midnight last night on my way home from my high school reunion and still didn't see any.

DarkJedi5
07-12-2008, 11:15 AM
Once I heard that people were finding these sets before the 7/1 release date I starting calling the only two WMs in reasonable driving distance to find out when they would be getting them. At first the only exclusive sets they knew about where TFU three packs coming out with the game. Then I finally got the numbers and was having them look them up and they would tell me that they were already sold through and "non-replenishable", in otherwords, couldn't order more. Finally I just went to one of the WMs and found about two of those display cases full, grabbed a complete set and haven't been back since. I think their whole distribution plan on this is all messed up. It looks like some WMs aren't even getting them and if they did come in they've already been cleaned out or put on clearance. Talk about a SNAFU.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-12-2008, 04:52 PM
Have seen a fairly decent stock in the WMs around my area (Inland Empire of SoCal), but always at full retail. I'd snag 'em all if they were $5 in a heartbeat.

DarkJedi5
07-21-2008, 09:00 AM
So I noticed last night that the center foot pod on the R2 unit that cane with Watto was put on backwards. Is there a way to flip it around? I'm a little nervous about trying to pry it off since I'm not sure I could replace the set if I broke him.

Neuroleptic
07-21-2008, 03:48 PM
I'v got the same problem with my 'darth vader's R4 unit' (don't know his name) and Mace Windu's R4 unit. They both seem to have there center feet on backwards. I'd be interested if anyone can answer that.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-21-2008, 06:59 PM
Is this something you saw from the outside, or did you open the package to discover this? I'd figure (pun always intended) that this was just a production error by Hasbro.

BTW, all the ones by me are full price, when you can find them anymore... :upset: :rolleyes:

[p.s. I think this was my 4000th post]

DarkJedi5
07-21-2008, 09:13 PM
I wasn't really able to notice through the packaging... with all the plastic packaging around the foot you just can't tell which way it pivots. It looks just the same forward as backward expect the foot doesn't sit at the right angle because it pivots backwards. I've been looking at maybe trying to pop it off but the plastic doesn't have a lot of give and I'd hate to break it because I pretty much bought the set for the droid.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-21-2008, 09:58 PM
I haven't tried to fix any of them, but in a recent Q&A, Hasbro said they were aware of the problem and would fix it on future droids . . . so we'll see.

DarkArtist
07-26-2008, 12:16 AM
was finally able to find these in Williamsburg VA last night (was on vacation with the family). picked up all 6 sets at full price :upset: but I still like them none the less. didn't see the vac metal R-3PO but what can you do. it's not really a major thing I'm looking for.

Also was able to pick up the 3 Walmart Comic Packs as well.

Mad Slanted Powers
07-27-2008, 03:14 PM
I made it to Wal-Mart today but didn't see them. My cart was plenty full with other stuff already so I didn't think to search any further for them.

Mad Slanted Powers
08-04-2008, 11:34 PM
Wal-Mart.com had 5 of the 6 Droid Factory sets, and it says not available in stores. Perhaps that is why I never found them. I went ahead and ordered them shipped to store to get the free shipping. The Han Solo/R-3PO set is the only one they didn't have.

jediguy
08-04-2008, 11:47 PM
all of the Walmarts in Iowa (that I have been to) have at least 60 of these sets
if they ever do go on clearance, I would be happy to buy them all
but it seems that the Walmarts in Iowa never put STAR WARS on clearance
there was one store about 15 miles away that did clearance the TAC for only $3, but by the time I found that out, most of them were gone already

PAA_707
08-05-2008, 04:04 AM
all of the Walmarts in Iowa (that I have been to) have at least 60 of these sets
if they ever do go on clearance, I would be happy to buy them all
but it seems that the Walmarts in Iowa never put STAR WARS on clearance
there was one store about 15 miles away that did clearance the TAC for only $3, but by the time I found that out, most of them were gone already

You know I thought the same thing at my local WalMart because they were sitting around for months. Then last week I talked to a worker and he told me they might be gone soon so I better get them while I can.

I still was weary but I eventually got all 6 within a few days. Anyhow I got my last one, Watto, on Sunday, and the rack still had at least 20. And this was at night too. Anyhow I went back early Monday and they were all gone except for 1 Han. I don't know how they all sold that fast. But thank god I grabbed my set.

One of the best decisions I made. Except I'm a little dissapointed because I thought Id be able to get a Watto on clearance, because no one seemed to buy him. Now that I think about it I can't help to wonder if some scalper came by and swooped them all up.