PDA

View Full Version : Action Comics #1 on ebay

JetsAndHeels
04-25-2008, 09:15 PM
Seems to be in fine/near mint condition..graded 9.0...not bad for a comic book that is 70 years old.

Action Comics #1 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ACTION-COMICS-1-1938-PGX-9-0-WHITE-PAGES-1st-Superman_W0QQitemZ170211463300QQihZ007QQcategoryZ3 5752QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

DarthQuack
04-25-2008, 10:56 PM
Yikes, quite the BIN price tag on it!

El Chuxter
04-26-2008, 01:12 AM
The pictures look kinda iffy for a grade of 9.0. I know there was another Action #1 recently on eBay.

I'm a little wary. The condition looks too good, even with the flaws.

And the "Grail of Grails" would probably be the theater giveaway of Marvel Mystery Comics #1 (I forget the name it was published under) that was the first Sub-Mariner and Human Torch, and had a tiny print run.

jjreason
04-26-2008, 08:27 AM
Read carefully - it's been restored so the grade should only be described as APPARENT. It's still an absolutely fantastic copy, likely one of about 2 or 3 that exist in such amazing condition, and he'll likely come close to getting his asking price.

Oh, and Chux - I believe Marvel Comics #1 (published by Timely Comics, Marvel's original name) also included the first Ka-Zar story!!!!

El Chuxter
04-26-2008, 01:22 PM
Yeah, but there was another name for the advance copies released at a movie theater (or a few movie theaters) in New York, which technically predate Marvel Comics #1, though not on a wide scale.

jjreason
04-26-2008, 01:44 PM
I did not know that. Very interesting - though of little consequence to me and my "barely affords the NEW stuff" collecting habits. :D :grillmarks:

Bel-Cam Jos
04-27-2008, 10:10 AM
Yeah, but there was another name for the advance copies released at a movie theater (or a few movie theaters) in New York, which technically predate Marvel Comics #1, though not on a wide scale.I didn't recall the theater give-away, but the series used to be titled Marvel Mystery Comics, so I don't know if MMC #1 would be a duplicate name. And we all know that no titles ever made errors or duplicate names over the years... :2Daredevil#3Annuals:

jjreason
04-27-2008, 02:09 PM
For what it's worth, Wikipedia advises the first print run of 80,000 copies sold through in quick order, leading to another print run of 800,000 copies (which, even by today's standards, is a HUGE order as far as I'm aware). The 2nd batch were only slightly different, but a difference does exist. Both copies have the same 10 cent cover price.

It's very like the first prints were given away in places, I wonder if that's what Chux is referring to. I couldn't find any info on another giveaway for that book.

El Chuxter
04-27-2008, 09:04 PM
I read about it in an old Overstreet hardcover about 15 years back. I'll try to dig it out and find the exact title.

mabudonicus
04-28-2008, 02:45 PM
Huh I checked at it just says "Item has Ended"- not being e-bay savvy what does that mean, someone just bought it??
:bored: Iso&Baws

I gots me a reprint and it's all you really need, paid 25 cents for it :D

El Chuxter
04-28-2008, 02:47 PM
I've got a reprint of that and Detective #27 (along with reprints of several other choice Golden and Silver Age back issues). Aside from Giant Sized X-Men #1, Amazing Fantasy #15, and Green Lantern/Green Arrow #76, none of them have particularly great stories and are only interesting for their historical significance.

jjreason
05-11-2008, 08:50 AM
I'm not sure if I've ever read through Action 1 - I believe I have - but the first few issues of Detective are actually kinda shocking in terms of how many people are getting blasted!!

Bel-Cam Jos
05-11-2008, 10:49 AM
Aside from Giant Sized X-Men #1, Amazing Fantasy #15, and Green Lantern/Green Arrow #76, none of them have particularly great stories and are only interesting for their historical significance.That was when comics were for reading, not for collecting, so stories just fit into a series, or were stand-alone ones. Many of the superhero first appearances were in the midst of established series (Iron Man, Thor, Doom Patrol, Ant Man, et al). Even later that still occurred (Wolverine, Silver Surfer [well, maybe not this one], Punisher, etc.) in later titles.

BTW, what's the most "historically significant" comic(s) do you own? For me, it's probably Iron Man #1 (good-to-fair condition), Captain America #100 (returns to the Silver Age), or Cappy's origin in Tales of Suspense [or ...to Astonish?] #63. I have others more valuable, but not really as "significant."

DarthQuack
05-11-2008, 11:32 AM
BTW, what's the most "historically significant" comic(s) do you own? For me, it's probably Iron Man #1 (good-to-fair condition), Captain America #100 (returns to the Silver Age), or Cappy's origin in Tales of Suspense [or ...to Astonish?] #63. I have others more valuable, but not really as "significant."

Only ones I would say that I have of any significance would be AMS 238, 239, and a few others, maybe 252.

El Chuxter
05-12-2008, 01:55 AM
Off-hand, I have the first appearances of Guy Gardner, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, and Ghost Rider. I used to look through rumors of who was getting a new series and snatching up all the old issues with them. (Not Guy, though. That was a lucky find in a quarter bin!)

jjreason
05-12-2008, 08:40 AM
Hoo boy - don't hate me because I'm beautiful, but I have some pretty key issues of X-Men lying around... including #1 from 1963. I bought it just after getting married as a VF copy - but in fairness the vendor did disclose a "tape-pull" on the back cover (so let's call that a "qualified 7.5").

Later in life (the day I met El Chuxter, in fact) I submitted this comic for professional grading and (more importantly) a restoration check for the purposes of getting ready to sell it. Well, lo and behold it came back a 6.0 (still a "fine" copy, and I can live with that) and (thankfully) unrestored.

The problem is, I still can't sell a fine copy for what I paid for my VF copy 13 years ago. :cry:

I'll try to add a scan of it into this post - I know there's one on my hard drive here somewhere.

I also have Giant Sized X-Men #1 (first appearance of the 2nd generation X-Men) nd a complete run of Uncanny starting with issue 94 (their first issue in the main series).

I've got some other 12 cent Marvel issues, but they're pretty much all on the block for sale these days - I've decided I'm not going to try and piece together any of these runs in favor of spending my money on the beautiful Marvel Masterworks hardcovers.

With respect to Spidey I have a number of key issues, some of which are on the sales block right now: 32 (the middle of a key 3 issue arc featuring Doc Ock masquerading as another villain) and 38 (the last Steve Ditko issue) are included. I have 135 (2nd Punisher), 238 (first Hobgoblin), 298 (first McFarlane and lead in to Venom), 300 (Anniversary and key Venom appearance) and a near-complete run of Amazing from 238 until today.

I have both Marvel Star Wars #1 and #107 - the latter of which might actually be harder to find.

I've been collecting for a long time.

DarthQuack
05-12-2008, 10:33 AM
I've decided I'm not going to try and piece together any of these runs in favor of spending my money on the beautiful Marvel Masterworks hardcovers.

I think I'm actually going to sell off my Spider-man MM's in favorite of the new Omnibus' that Marvel is producing, if they do that right they could release full series runs like that. I've already got the full runs of Web of, Spiderman, and Spectacular(sans 10 issues or so)

jjreason
05-12-2008, 11:18 AM
I believe the Omnibus is set to contain the whole Ditko run (1-38), and I'd expect at least the first annual (and possibly the 2nd).

My only problem with the Omnibi(sp?) is the unwieldy size of them - they're a workout to lug around. I was in the market for the first FF one with the variant Alex Ross cover, but decided against it once I had it in my hands.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-12-2008, 12:00 PM
BTW, what's the most "historically significant" comic(s) do you own? For me, it's probably Iron Man #1 (good-to-fair condition), Captain America #100 (returns to the Silver Age), or Cappy's origin in Tales of Suspense [or ...to Astonish?] #63. I have others more valuable, but not really as "significant."Well, I'll go off my own memory and try at making a list (lists... :homerdrool: )...

- Amazing Spiderman #102 (Morbius origin), 134-135/174-175 (Punisher apps.), 238 (first Hobgoblin, with tatoo inside), 252 (first black costume), 298 (first McFarlane art)
- Peter Parker/Spectacular SM #1, 27-28 (Miller Daredevil), 68 (first Cloak & Dagger), 100
- Fantastic Four #100 (first Marvel Silver Age 100th issue)
- X-Men #108/120-121 (first Alpha Flight character apps.) 244? (whatever the first Gambit app. is)
- Iron Man #1, 100
- Iron Fist #15 (X-Men app.)
- Captain America #100, 113 (Bucky death cover), 332 (Steve Rogers quits as Cappy)
- Thor #134 (first app. Evolutionary), 337 (first Simonson art)
- Silver Surfer #4 ('69 series, Thor app.)
- Tales to Astonish (or ... of Suspense, whichever is the Hulk series) #100
- Tales of Suspense (or ... to Astonish, whichever is the Cappy series) #63
- Daredevil #181-183 (Punisher apps.), 226-228 (Miller returned)
- Avengers #57 (something about The Vision [origin?]), 100
- I also have several crossover series like Mutant Massacre, Secret Wars, Millennium, Atlantis, etc.
- Batman #400, 427-429 (whatever the "vote for Robin to die/live" run was)
- Dark Knight #1-4 (unless I sold this... can't remember)
- TMNT #2-10 (never found an affordable #1 first print)
- Star Wars #1-107, Annuals 1-3, Droids #1-8 (can't not have these entire run :rolleyes: and yes, I am three issues away from the 14-issue Ewoks title)
- Alf #1 (do I even need a reason? :p )

I had a thing for issues #100, BTW.

El Chuxter
05-12-2008, 02:03 PM
The first Gambit is later, I think 274. #244 is a far more historically significant issue, though, as it contains the first appearance of Jubilee. (I have that, obviously.)

I've got the first 30 issues of TMNT as well, including the spinoffs (minus Gobbledygook). #1 is third print, #2 is second, and the rest are first.

Transformers #80 I got when it came out. The print run in insanely low on that, and it can go for triple digits when interest is high.

I also have the Web of Spider-Man that was intended to be Venom's first appearance. (Someone pushes him onto a subway track without setting off his spider-sense. The idea was abandoned for a few years, though, before Venom actually showed up, and Amazing #298 gets the credit.)

I've got the first cameo appearance of the Savage Dragon in (I think) Vanguard.

jjreason
05-12-2008, 03:35 PM
I covet your SS #4, BCJ. That's another example of a book that had distribution problems to go with an INSANELY awesome cover (maybe my favorite of the whole Silver Age of Marvel) - it commands a pretty high price these days. :thumbsup:

Bel-Cam Jos
05-12-2008, 08:13 PM
I covet your SS #4, BCJ. ... - it commands a pretty high price these days. :thumbsup:I think I got it for about $18, but it's only a VF grade. I don't know it's current value.

Other notables I recall:
- Hulk #332 (first McFarlane art), 340 (vs. Wolverine again)
- Amazing SM Annual #22 (both covers IIRC, the wedding story)
- X-Men #200 (Magneto's trial)
- Fall of the Mutants run
- Machine Man #18 (X-Men or Alpha Flight app.)
- Web of SM #1 (another early black costume)
- Detective Comics #575-78 (BM uses a gun)

First appearances I also have:
- Longshot (either X-Men Annual #8 [or 10?] or his own mini series)
- Dazzler (X-Men #130)
- McFarlane art (Outsiders #27, I think)
- Warlock (the New Mutant guy, can't remember the issue)
- Speedball (Speedball #1... proving that Steve Ditko remains an art icon, but not a current artist :( )
- Mr. Fixit (Hulk #34_?)

I was usually more of a Marvel than DC collector/reader. Notice the bulk of my comics are 1986-1991, or key issues from pre-1980s.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-30-2012, 10:08 AM
Ba-bump! :shovel:

In my list (LISTS... :drool: ) mania, it got me thinking about those significant issue numbers over the years (1st appearances, origina, covers, artists, etc.). Any others you'd add in, or question my choices?

1.Action Comics
4.Avengers
8.Secret Wars
10.Wolverine
14.Amazing Spiderman
15.Amazing Fantasy
21.GI Joe
22.Showcase
27.Detective Comics
28.Brave & the Bold
39.Tales of Suspense
48.Fantastic Four
63.Tales of Suspense
68.Star Wars
83.Journey into Mystery
94.X-Men
102.Incredible Hulk
110.Strange Tales
122.Amazing Spiderman
129.Amazing Spiderman
137.X-Men
158.Daredevil
168.Daredevil
181.Incredible Hulk
225.Detective Comics
238.Amazing Spiderman
247.Adventure Comics
251.Batman
252.Amazing Spiderman
332.Captain America
337.Thor
340.Incredible Hulk
404.Batman

El Chuxter
07-30-2012, 11:06 AM
38. Detective Comics

bigbarada
07-31-2012, 05:14 AM
Well, let's see:

X-Men #1 - first Professor X, Cyclops, Marvel Girl (Jean Grey), Beast, Iceman, Angel, Magneto
X-Men #4 - first Brotherhood of Evil Mutants, Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver, Toad, Mastermind
X-Men #9 - first Avengers vs. X-Men
X-Men #12 - first Juggernaut
X-Men #14 - first Sentinels
X-Men #49 - first Lorna Dane (became Polaris in issue #50)
X-Men #54 - first Alex Summers (even though he didn't manifest his mutant powers until #55 or his Havok name/costume until #58)

Amazing Adventures #11 - first furry Beast mutation (grey and furry, then black and furry, eventually blue and furry)
Uncanny X-Men #101 - first Phoenix
Uncanny X-Men #134 - first Dark Phoenix