PDA

View Full Version : Mario Kart Wii!!

Jedi_Master_Guyute
04-27-2008, 12:34 AM
I know DQ and I picked up, but did anybody else?

I gotta say this game is a BLAST. The wheel takes a bit of time to get used to and i've never been one to use the "drag" feature, but i'm quickly learning how it can help me. The graphics are really good and it's just an overall fun game. I can feel myself growing addicted to it already. :love: The courses so far are a blast and the online gameplay is really good stuff.

Here is my Mario kart friend code: 0173-1681-0944

I'm a bearded Mii under the name of Gigs. Hope to play against some folks!! :thumbsup:

Lord Malakite
04-27-2008, 02:46 AM
I think JBF said he was going to pick it up after getting off work provided the Matt Maupin funeral thing doesn't interfere. For those who don't know, Maupin was a US soldier who went missing some 4 years ago in Iraq until just recently when his body was found. I don't know exactly how famous he has gotten elsewhere in the US (due to my location/perspective), but in the Cincinnati area you can't turn on a TV these days without seeing something on him. I believe the Maupin thing has been mentioned on cable channels like CNN & MSNBC, so I apologize if my explanation was not needed. Unfortunately for JBF all the major store/mall areas, Maupin's home, and where we live (as well as where JBF works) are all about 15 to 20 minutes apart and all the pre-funeral/visitation stuff is taking place somewhere in the general mall area before they move the casket for the televised funeral service at Great American Ball Park.

El Chuxter
04-27-2008, 02:50 AM
Haven't gotten it (though I'm definitely considering it) yet, but I have a question:

This has multiplayer without an online connection, right? How can more than one person play it (without one having an advantage) if it comes with one wheel?

(I've wondered the same thing about multiplayer Zapper and Balance Board games, too.)

Lord Malakite
04-27-2008, 04:13 AM
Yes Chux, Mario Kart also has a standard multiplayer. The official Nintendo Wii Wheel is also being sold seperate of Mario Kart (for around $15 or so). There are also several cheaper third party wheels available if Nintendo's price is too expensive. As it is just a plastic shell, I don't think first or third party makes too much difference in this particular case. If you don't want anyone to have an advantage either buy more wheels or have nobody use a wheel.

Unlike Mario Kart (where the Wii Wheel is the bonus), with the Wii Zapper its the game (Link's Crossbow Training) and not the accessory that is the bonus. If you want more Wii Zappers either you suck it up and have multiple copies of a "bonus game" (which you could probably resale cheap to someone interested in the game & not the accessory), you buy Wii Zappers second hand (used), or you buy third party zappers. As it is just a plastic shell (like the wheel) you can't really go wrong with any choice.

I'm not certain about how the Wii Balance Board will be treated. I think it will all depend on exactly how extensive Wii Fit is. I imagine if Wii Fit is anything like previous games under the "Wii" brand title (Wii Sports & Wii Play) you will have a Wii Zapper situation. The main selling item will be the accessory (Wii Balance Board) and the game (Wii Fit) will be treated as the bonus. Its also possible the Board may see a seperate release of Wii Fit (even if Wii Fit is considered the bonus). If it does though either Wii Fit will have to be slightly more extensive in of itself than I'm expecting (like the Mario Kart scenario) or there would have to be a significant number of Wii games to use the accessory (like the Wii Play & Wii Remote scenario) to warrant a seperate release. Oh, and if third party boards come out, in this case I would suggest sticking to first party. It will be more expensive, but (as actual electronics are involved in this accessory) I always find that first party tends to be more reliable than third party.

DarthQuack
04-27-2008, 09:47 AM
Yea, as JMG said, we were rocking it out last night. I played one race to get the feel of it and ventured on the NWC to kick some Japanese ***. I did pretty well, even took a few first places this morning. I want to unlock everything so I know what I'm doing, and yes Rainbow Road is still as frustrating as it was back in the day :P

Jedi_Master_Guyute
04-27-2008, 11:12 AM
Yea, as JMG said, we were rocking it out last night. I played one race to get the feel of it and ventured on the NWC to kick some Japanese ***. I did pretty well, even took a few first places this morning. I want to unlock everything so I know what I'm doing, and yes Rainbow Road is still as frustrating as it was back in the day :P

Rainbow Road is a blast, but yeah, SO EFFIN' FRUSTRATING at time. The mine level is insane and the mall level is really freakin' fun. I'm seriously loving this game.

Haven't gotten it (though I'm definitely considering it) yet, but I have a question:

This has multiplayer without an online connection, right? How can more than one person play it (without one having an advantage) if it comes with one wheel?

(I've wondered the same thing about multiplayer Zapper and Balance Board games, too.)

Chux, you can play using the wiimote and nunchuk, the classic controller, the gamecube controller and lastly, the wheel that comes with it. The wheel takes a bit of time to get used to, but i'm getting the hang of it. You hold 2 to accelerate, use B to drag (where is a larger button on the bottom of the wheel so you can use B). The directional pad is used to select and shoot your items. It's really handy cos if you want to shoot something in front of you, hit up, behind you, hit down. You can use A to look behind you. It's all pretty handy, but i'm still trying to get the wheel down. I still think its' awesome though.

As for multi-player, you can play four at a time. When you get online, you can play with a second player as well.

As for the wheel, the official nintendo version is only $9.98, so i picked it up. I always prefer the official stuff over the knock off.

Post friend codes too, folks! We can race it up! :thumbsup:

El Chuxter
04-27-2008, 11:31 AM
A'ight, I didn't know they sold the wheel separately. There was a grand opening of a Best Buy in town yesterday, and they appear to be running some sweet specials as far as "spend X, get Y in giftcards" all week. We've been talking about getting Super Smash Bros Brawl and Mario Kart Wii (if they're both in stock).

Jedi_Master_Guyute
04-27-2008, 11:44 AM
A'ight, I didn't know they sold the wheel separately. There was a grand opening of a Best Buy in town yesterday, and they appear to be running some sweet specials as far as "spend X, get Y in giftcards" all week. We've been talking about getting Super Smash Bros Brawl and Mario Kart Wii (if they're both in stock).

Yeah, there is the official nintendo one and then the several knock off brands available.

They should both be in stock, but you might have to deal with the wii crowd cos everybody is supposedly having them in stock today to promote mario kart and whatnot. I had to deal with a line of wii hopefuls last night at wal-mart when they only had in six systems and 15 people wanted one. I just wanted to get mario kart and get the hell outta there. Took almost half an hour to ring up six people cos they kept asking stupid questions. I wanted to start swinging, but I digress. :thumbsup:

I'd prefer Mario Kart over Super Smash Bros as SSB hurts your hands after a while. :thumbsup:

El Chuxter
04-27-2008, 08:08 PM
Got 'em both today, along with an extra wheel. With the giftcards we had, it cost $24, plus we got the free $10 card. :thumbsup:

Mario Kart Wii may be the greatest game ever. I'm undecided thus far if it beats Mario Party 8.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
04-27-2008, 08:48 PM
Got 'em both today, along with an extra wheel. With the giftcards we had, it cost $24, plus we got the free $10 card. :thumbsup:

Mario Kart Wii may be the greatest game ever. I'm undecided thus far if it beats Mario Party 8.

Glad you're enjoying it, Chux! Let Quack and I know if you get online so we can swap friend codes! :thumbsup:

El Chuxter
04-27-2008, 10:30 PM
Will do. Out of curiosity, if you play the Mall track online, does it use Miis from everyone's system? We got a kick out of seeing Ice Cube parking his car, our daughter working out in the gym, my mom on a billboard, etc. :)

Jedi_Master_Guyute
04-27-2008, 11:29 PM
Will do. Out of curiosity, if you play the Mall track online, does it use Miis from everyone's system? We got a kick out of seeing Ice Cube parking his car, our daughter working out in the gym, my mom on a billboard, etc. :)

hahah yeah. I got hit bya car that was being driven by Newman from Seinfeld. He ruined that game for me wearing his evil grin.

"Hello, Newman." :thumbsup:

Jedi_Master_Guyute
04-29-2008, 11:00 AM
I unlocked Rosalina and some purple dragon thing; Birdo? No clue. But I know Chux will be happy about Rosalina as if memory serves, didn't ya think she was a hottie, Chux??! :love:

Also played Rainbow Road last night in 3 out of 4 consecutive races. As gorgeous and great as that course is, it burned my will to live.

El Chuxter
04-29-2008, 11:09 AM
Indeed.

Purple dragon might be Birdo. I'll have to find him/her to see.

I'm trying my best to get a first place in the Star Circuit. I normally don't "cheat" and try to find as many secrets as I can without referring to any sources, but I had to find out how to unlock King Boo. Boos are the sweetest. (I have refused to play Mario Party whenever someone beats me to choosing Boo.)

Off-topic, but it reminds me: wouldn't a sequel to Luigi's Mansion, using the WiiMote for the vacuum cleaner and the Nunchuck to control Luigi, seem like a total no-brainer? There was a "mini" version of it in Mario Party 8. It could even be a two-player this time.

Lord Malakite
04-30-2008, 12:44 PM
I unlocked Rosalina and some purple dragon thing; Birdo? No clue.
If it has a red bow on the top of its head its Birdo.

DarthQuack
04-30-2008, 03:05 PM
Well it must be someone else, because Birdo is already around isn't she?

El Chuxter
05-01-2008, 12:27 AM
6785 7712 1518 3540

I haven't gone online with Mario Kart yet. I'm trying to unlock King Boo first.