PDA

View Full Version : Is Hasbro Wasting Resources?

LTBasker
04-28-2008, 11:53 AM
As of late figure hunting has been quite disappointing, I hear of stores in other states receiving new figures, yet here we are haunted by further cases of Saga Legends. Not the latest Saga Legends either, the newest figure in these cases is the 501st SA figure. Each time I stare at their disappointing presence, I contemplate what this means in terms of cost. Most of us are looking forward to new figures, but rising prices and difficulty in availability (not helped by the Saga Legends) are making us cringe when wanting them though.

Is it quite possible that rereleases such as Saga Legends are a waste of resources that not only wastes space, but wastes the oil which could allow us new figures without the mark-up? Yes, I'm quite understanding of the essential rereleases for main characters and such, but with so many of the same figures being released through various types of ways, are they all truly essential? For rereleases, we have the mainline, Saga Legends/Heroes and Villains/Greatest Battles, Battle Packs, and other multipacks. Often, these rereleases change very little to if at all. Even worse, is that they are out at the same time. This was a constant plague in 2007.

So, should Hasbro be much more conservative when it comes to their rereleases? Possibly only rereleasing the "essential" characters in one form so they are available, but less of a waste? Battlepacks seem to always sell much quicker than basic figures, it could be said they do much better than the Saga Legends-esque line. They're also less of a waste in that they are in one box instead of 5 individual packages.

Should we be in demand that Hasbro cutback on all gratuitous rereleases (figures, ships, etc) and focus the profits we give them towards the worthwhile figures? After all, we're paying $7 for a figure, most often these come with little to no accessories that could add to the value, they're often lacking in quality control, and are a pain in the Bantha to find. As they continue to use oil prices as the excuse to push the cost up, they don't seem to show any concern over making unnecessary amounts of product that we can only hope eventually sells.

Thoughts?

El Chuxter
04-28-2008, 12:27 PM
I wouldn't cut out re-releases altogether, but I'd stop putting unique pack-ins with them, and I sure as hell would burn the molds for AOTC C-3PO, Boushh Leia, and Cantina Han.

Jedi_Kal-El
04-28-2008, 05:31 PM
I wouldn't cut out re-releases altogether, but I'd stop putting unique pack-ins with them, and I sure as hell would burn the molds for AOTC C-3PO, Boushh Leia, and Cantina Han.

But wait. Those are best sellers. Acording to Hasbro anyway. I have to say though that they're not judging by how many are left on the pegs. I don't see how they can thnk that when they don't realize how many are sitting around rotting.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-28-2008, 07:28 PM
I'll play devil's advocate and say that none of those figures are pegwarming around here . . . they do release the C-3PO too many times but none of them have become pegwarmers. Leia sat around a while but sold through. They updated cantina Han's head but that was two years ago so it's not like anybody's swimming in them.

If you're worried about making too many trips, then go out less often and/or buy online.

Kidhuman
04-28-2008, 09:17 PM
The only resources I say they are wasting is on packaging. There is no need for these fancy bubbles and CARP when GI Joe figures sell in small bubbles for less money. They should make it smaller and cut the price some on it.

Lazer Brain
04-28-2008, 10:23 PM
The only resources I say they are wasting is on packaging. There is no need for these fancy bubbles and CARP when GI Joe figures sell in small bubbles for less money. They should make it smaller and cut the price some on it.

Agreed! this is a big point, I donated all my scrap packaging to a fellow coworkers son that was doing a project on waste, he was shocked.
later

Blue2th
04-28-2008, 10:55 PM
I think they should use simple packaging like the GI Joe's as was said. If the artwork is nice, the package well made (with no tape) I like to cut the bubble then save the card for at least the commando file on the back. Very reusable, and more paper than plastic.
The SW TAC was not so bad for this also.

I recently opened a bunch of ROTS figures to sell on eBay (trying to thin out) because the packages were either coming apart at the taped seams or the tips of the Vader helmet card were usually damaged (try to describe the condition of an ROTS card on eBay :rolleyes:) so I sold a loose collection of figs with all their accessories (guaranteed cause I just opened them) anyways I did at least put the packaging in the recycle bags and had the city pick them up separately from the regular garbage, which is suprisingly little because you would be suprised how much paper and plastic is in/on everything.

Albuquerque has a good recycle program for those who use it. The paper and plastic go out in the same recycle bag.

Looks like we might get a repeat of a very un-collector friendly card for the new SW coming up. That's ok, I'll at least recycle all my openers cards and bubbles.

dindae
04-29-2008, 01:41 PM
I think that Hasbro could be better with how they package figures. I don't think figures suffer much from packaging like GI Joes. But I'm a loose collector so I don't care. I don't think the Legends line qualifies as a waste. They as just taking proven sellers and rereleasing them into the market. Sure collectors don't need them except maybe some army builders but kids do buy them. I guess I just have a hard time point a finger at Hasbro for wasting resources when they are supplying me with hundreds of enviromentally unfriendly figures. It's kind of like being upset when McDonalds is out of Diet Coke to wash down your Big Mac and large fries.

jedi master sal
04-30-2008, 09:12 AM
In reality this ALL is a waste of resources. Afterall they are just toys. Not "needed" by we collectors, but desired.

I agree that coffin blisters/bubbles could be use in most cases.

One could contend that the Falcon and AT-TE are wasteful due to their size and amount of plastic used to make them.