PDA

View Full Version : Do You Think Hasbro Is Consciously Exploring the Big Vehicle Market?

Tycho
04-30-2008, 01:46 PM
I don't want to open another discussion about whether you're going to buy the AT-TE or the Millennium Falcon, but rather I want to discuss Jabba's Sailbarge, the Star Destroyer, Tantive IV, Invisible Hand, and so on.

Do you think Hasbro is re-evaluating their option to create a "capital ship market?"

Blue2th
04-30-2008, 02:36 PM
Yes, but I think it remains a question whether or not these two new vehicles will be a success or failure.
We can only hope so.
Face it though, they really haven't experimented with large vehicles to see how well they do.
Everything they have done in large size has been from old Kenner molds except for the Royal Starship.

Droid
04-30-2008, 02:50 PM
I don't think they will ever make a Tantive IV or Star Destroyer bigger than the old Collector's Fleet.

I don't think they'll EVER make a capital ship from the prequels.

I think the Sail Barge is a real possibility given that you could play on deck and inside of it. It has very strong play value. I wonder if they'll test the waters first with a bigger skiff. If it wouldn't sell, why would the Sail Barge?

Tycho
04-30-2008, 03:30 PM
The Royal Starship was kind of an anomally for Star Wars:

It wasn't an agressive vehicle - it had no weapons. It also wasn't a major hero or villain character's ship.

A Star Destroyer would be advertised as Darth Vader's - whether it is likely The Devastator (ANH) or The Executor (ESB).

The Tantive IV is Princess Leia's of course - but it's an agressive vehicle, unlike her mother's starship. The Tantive has weapons.

The Sailbarge is self-explanatory.

As to the Prequels? I think Droid is probably right, but the Invisible Hand is General Grievous' command ship, and it's agressive.

One of the Prequel-Era Star Destroyers could be advertised as being under Jedi Command - like Obi-Wan's command ship for the Utopau mission - but it doesn't hold that presence the OT ships held, as not that much to-do happened there.

If any prequel capital ships could be made, it would either be the Invisible Hand, or Nute Gunray's Trade Federation battle cruiser - which would be rather difficult to translate into an even out-of-scale toy.

But I see the 3 Classic ships as being pretty reasonable. Less so are Home One and the Rebel Medical Frigate (though I'd buy them).

LTBasker
04-30-2008, 03:59 PM
Personally I feel a Sail Barge would be very do-able, but it would be a little more complex than the hulking pieces of plastic that the Falcon and AT-TE are. I think Hasbro's creativity is limited by their persistance to do toys that don't require much assembly.

If I were asked to design it for Hasbro, I would make it to where there were very few HUGE pieces, requiring assembly of smaller pieces to form a larger structure. Basically, the lower and upper decks would be one large piece, while the walls of the Barge were made up of various interlocking panels. The panels would plug into the lower deck plate and have edges to lock onto the upper deck plate, then to take weight off the thin panels, the sail masts/support rods would run all the way to the lower deck, and provide the majority of support for the upper deck.

The two longest wall panels would also be removeable to allow for accessing the lower compartment so you could put Jabba and co. in there. The Sail Barge has a large box-shaped area under it's rear end, this could be an accessory storage or electronics compartment.

Tried to draw up a concept in Paint, it didn't turn out too well but hopefully it shows off what I'm talking about well enough. Also, the elevated area on the upper deck where the turret was is missing, I couldn't figure out how to properly draw that.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y106/Jedigreedo/JabbaBargeConcept.jpg

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-30-2008, 04:22 PM
As I've said a few times, Hasbro has been testing the waters, so to speak, with big-ticket items these past few years. They had the Imperial Shuttle and Ultimate Battle Packs at Target and the Endor AT-AT at TRU; none of them were significantly new, but they all sold out (the Endor AT-AT can still be found in some places, but they did place at least a second order after the first sold out). So in that respect, they've been "exploring" the market for big ships or big items for a little while now. I think they saw that they will indeed do well, which is why they're now releasing both the Falcon and AT-TE. I think for now the "exploring" is done, but perhaps if they do well too, then we might see a Sail Barge. Other than that I don't really see them doing any "big" ships, as Star Destroyers or other capital ships would likely end up looking weird in this form.

Jargo
04-30-2008, 04:23 PM
No. No I don't. this is just more additions to the large vehicle line that exists already. with the shuttle, old mold falcon, AT-AT. I don't think for one second there's suddenly going to a load of large vehicles. I think hasbro will continue to slot them in as and when budget and opportunity allows. As they've stated is their policy countless times.

Tycho
04-30-2008, 05:20 PM
I want to express my admiration for LtBasker's efforts with his Paint program. That was a nice treat to see. That must have been hard to render. Thanks.

I think it was Jargo that posted in another thread that a Sailbarge should have a command cockpit or someplace where a "captain" was driving it from. I agree. It was never a set shown in the movie, but the Expanded Universe option could be taken from the Incredible Cross-Sections book source and then be as official as possible.

One other thing the Sailbarge did in the movie, that might be translated to a toy, is EXPLODE.

Well how do you safely simulate that? I'd have the ship being split in half and connected on a pivot bar. You basically fold in the vehicle's "hover stands" (probably clear plastic to help with a simulated floating effect) and "break" the vehicle in half, pointing both ends downward like an upside down "v". Admittedly, it would be pretty weak, but then EVERY feature the ship managed in the movie could be represented by the toy. You could even have simulated plastic "fire" that you slide up through the deck floorboards with levers that work coincidentally with the exploding feature. Again, it might be weak, but it IS there.

It reminds us that this is a TOY besides a diorama piece (which most of us will use it for).

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-30-2008, 05:59 PM
If/when they did a sail barge, they would likely do the explosion effect like they did on the Queen's Starship, where panels fly off.

dindae
04-30-2008, 06:44 PM
Do I think they have been testing the waters for big tickets items up to now? Yes with the numerous new molds in the regular starship line recently and the reissues of larger items it seems like the Falcon and AT-TE are a direct result of those successes.

Do I think that there will be a surge of capital ships? No at most I would see one a year and I can only think of 3 or 4 that would be worth the risk. The Falcon is the ship for Star Wars so it was an obvious choice. The AT-TE was another ship that a lot of fans like and it ties to the Clone Wars. If the Falcon fails don't expect another big ship. If the Falcon suceeds and the AT-TE fails I would get my hopes up either. If both sell well I would expect another big ship in 2010 (maybe 2009 if they have a mold planned already).

Sinscia Fat'o
04-30-2008, 07:08 PM
Do i think Hasbro knows that there is a select market for high ticket items like this? Yeah to a certain degree. But i don't think Hasbro will continue this whether the Falcon makes it or if the AT-Te makes it. I think both items will do okay...The Falcon doing better than the AT-TE, but neither being highly sought after that far away from christmas.

The only major thing i see coming from this is maybe a new mold AT-AT, and maybe the Sail Barge...Maybe but i wouldn't bet on it.

Never will Hasbro make a Star Destroyer or even a Tantive 4, or any other capitol ship...it just doesn't make sense for hasbro to make something that is a play set and say it's a ship. And besides could you imagine the Star Destroyer? It would be like the USS Flag...just not as exciting.

bigbarada
05-01-2008, 12:28 AM
As long as we get a new, larger AT-AT I'll be happy.:yes:

Tycho
05-01-2008, 01:56 PM
And besides could you imagine the Star Destroyer? It would be like the USS Flag...just not as exciting.

If I designed the Star Destroyer, and one day I may have to (a custom) it will have an exterior that looks like The Devastator (ANH).

On either side it will have 4 turbo laser batteries that stick out and are connected to gunners' chairs on the inside for Death Star Gunner type figures.

An elevator manually controlled by the back of the "neck" will take figures up from the flat part of the ship to the command bridge.

The bridge will have the crew pits and catwalk, maybe a light-up hologram pad.

Back in the base of the ship, there will be a prisoner cage and adjoining room with torture chair and guard station (like seen in ANH on the Death Star). There will be a secret escape hatch as well.

On the opposite side, that space will be used for a probe-droid launcher station that launches a pod-ship which contains a probot figure inside of it.

Towards the center, and under the neck, will be Darth Vader's meditation chamber and a hologram of the Emperor.

In the main hold, you will be able to fit one TIE with folded wings (Vader's or the TIE Bomber). A maintainance energizer prop will help you "repair" the ship.

Maybe I'm forgetting other things I had in my design - oh, a conference room somewhere in the bridge tower / neck. But that's basically the gist of it.

You can do the movie scenes, launch a fighter ship, wage war with firing missiles, capture a Rebel, torture him, and help him escape. - Oh, a garbage compactor might be another feature to add. And you can communicte with the Emperor. That pretty much allows for the movie roles for the ship as well as some creative play by a child.

Yes it does function a bit more like a playset because you couldn't lift this thing up and fly it, as it would be about 7 feet (up to 9 ft) and be reminiscient of the GI Joe USS Flag.

Rumor is the Flag did not do well at retail. It was too large to stock? It was too large for people to bring home?

Some answers to those issues:

1) Have it be a catalog-ordered (not store-stocked) item period (save for maybe a demo floor model at an all toy store, like TRU).

2) Maybe require a non-refundable deposit with pre-order. Build them accordingly.

3) Because it's "Star Wars," perhaps it will do better than GI Joe? I don't have a way to make an educated guess about that though.

4) It might be such a novelty, that it is picked up by people who DO NOT have a huge, burdensome SW collection and "no room left," and create new customers who can then be described like that. The Falcon is certainly going to make some folks re-arrange their rooms!

Of course I built a Tantive IV according to my plans already and it turned out awesome in my opinion. It is 5 feet long, and doesn't need to be as large as a star destroyer, but it can be done. It too is more of a playset with vehicle exterior, as I don't pick this ship up and "fly it" either.

Dark Marble
05-05-2008, 02:57 PM
As it has been stated here, I have to agree. I think the Falcon will sell no matter what because of what it is. I have 3 of them and I can't wait to drop another $150 for a piece of my childhood. Hasbro has said that it would do an AT-TE if there was a medium to support it and the Clone Wars movie with these bad boys featured is coming.

They are aggressive vehicles that have a lot of play value and built with figure interaction in mind. However, as a Star Wars collector with 11 years of modern collecting under my belt and 26 years of being a fan since my first figure I have to say I don't want many of these bigger vehicles. Hasbro might be seeing how far we go, but I won't be doing many and no repaints at all for me. The repaint and/or retool of the BMF would have to melt my skull.

Veers
05-07-2008, 04:02 PM
Jabba's sail barge would be awesome. I like the Naboo Starfighter but they can make a Star Destroyer. I would buy these. I stopped buying the jedi starfighters for Anakin and Obi Wan. They keep making these in different colors. Why not make something else like an updated Cloud Car ship or at least make a Tantive IV. That would be awesome.

Maradona
05-07-2008, 04:59 PM
My take on the Star Destroyer rumor:

Given that Hasbro plans things out about 2 years in advance, they are probably putting together contingency plans for the larger vehicles. If the AT-TE and BMF sell as well as they hope, they have to be prepared with a follow up. It would not surprise me in the least if Hasbro themselves floated this out to test the waters as to where they should go next. By their own admission Q&As, they have mock ups of various bigger items in the offices. It might just be a question of which of those previously designed models are up next for production if there ends up being a next. If Hasbro follows the system they have this year, one PT big vehicle and one from the OT, then maybe the Star Destroyer is their next OT outing. This begs the question, what's their next PT big vehicle? I'd have to guess it would the Turbo Tank since it's a clone wars vehicle that has a strong likelihood of appearing in the animated series.

GizorDellso
05-12-2008, 11:53 PM
I would really like to see a MTT.That would make my CIS army amazing!

Blue2th
05-13-2008, 12:30 AM
I would really like to see a MTT.That would make my CIS army amazing!
I think an MTT is very do-able. Hope we see them in Clone Wars. They've already shown the Troop Transport in the trailer, which is too big to do, but the MTT is about the right size. It would be cool with a droid rack, which would be a must.

Somewhere here someone posted a pic of an MTT carrying case for figures a while back.

obi-dad
05-13-2008, 01:28 PM
[QUOTE=Maradona;617985]My take on the Star Destroyer rumor:
[QUOTE]

What Star Destroyer rumor? I have never heard of this and Hasbro would have to go beyond 180 degree turn in their patterns to ever do a 7 foot SW vehicle, which it would nearly need to be to make it remotely compatible, but even then still wouldn't be even close to being in the same scale as the falcon or xwing/ywing/ties. IF they ever did a star destroyer or tantive iv, I imagine it would be 5-10 years minimum before they EVER headed into scales of that sort.

Now, I do agree, if the Falcon and AT-TE are successful, I would hope to think Jabba's Sail Barge and a larger scaled AT-AT would be at the fore-front of Hasbro's OT plans and VERY doable. I've lost almost all interest in PT, so I'll let others debate those vehicles, but I do hope all are successful. I do believe Hasbro is currently testing the waters with the Falcon and AT-TE, since there hasn't been an all new large scale vehicle since the Queen's ship in Ep1 (2001???). One could argue they were testing the waters with the releases of the ATAT, Shuttle, etc, but not like they are in this case. The biggest problem I forsee, especially with stores like Target, is that they have trained us to wait for clearance to save BIG money. Why pay $150 for the Falcon when you can get it for $98? I hope these all sell through at full price to show Hasbro we are serious with wanting larger scaled vehicles (& playsets) and will vote with our dollars.

jedi master sal
05-13-2008, 02:49 PM
...The biggest problem I forsee, especially with stores like Target, is that they have trained us to wait for clearance to save BIG money. Why pay $150 for the Falcon when you can get it for $98? I hope these all sell through at full price to show Hasbro we are serious with wanting larger scaled vehicles (& playsets) and will vote with our dollars.

With regards to the Falcon, since it's not an exclusive, Target won't discount it. They only seem to do that with their exclusives. So unless they truly want to beat the competition, don't expect to find this on deep discount there, or anywhere else for that matter.

El Chuxter
05-13-2008, 03:01 PM
If they're still there in two months, they'll discount them, unless they're still shipping for Christmas. Target will clearance anything if it's there long enough. I've seen them clearance toys until they get to about 1/8 the original price... then restock with the same items at full price a week later!

obi-dad
05-13-2008, 03:13 PM
If they're still there in two months, they'll discount them, unless they're still shipping for Christmas. Target will clearance anything if it's there long enough. I've seen them clearance toys until they get to about 1/8 the original price... then restock with the same items at full price a week later!

So, I'm not the only one who's seen this phenomenon. :D

jedi master sal
05-13-2008, 05:50 PM

Well hell if that happens, I'll buy one at that price, then return it with the receipt from the original one I bought. It's unlikely to happen, but we'll see I guess.

Desfiy
05-28-2008, 11:44 AM
I'll get two for that price, hell that would be really like christmas, lol.

But seriously to answer the question that was asked let me put it simply "Do you think", come on they have released 2 Large Vehicles now its either going to be a great success which will mean more large ships, or Hasbro turning around and saying we told you they wouldnt do well (not mentioning the fact they released 2 Large Vehicles at once and both with high price points).