PDA

View Full Version : Wall-e

figrin bran
05-08-2008, 11:15 PM
A few of us in the Ratatouille thread realized that there isn't a thread for this upcoming Disney/Pixar film so here it is.

It premieres here in the US on June 27th. I'm not sure about the release dates for other countries though.

Of special note to us SW fans is the fact that Ben Burtt, the man, the legend!, provided the robot sounds for this film.

The trailer is available for viewing on the official Disney WALL-E site (http://disney.go.com/disneypictures/wall-e/) so take a look and marvel at the incredible visuals! Whoever runs those monitors sure deserves a raise! :thumbsup:

bigbarada
05-08-2008, 11:30 PM
Pretty much any movie PIXAR has made has been awesome, so I'm looking forward to this one.

El Chuxter
05-09-2008, 12:28 AM
You are wrong, BigB. Every Pixar movie is not "awesome."

Every Pixar movie has transcended awesomeness and gone to a level previously unimagined. It's not got anything to do with the technical aspects (though they consistently produce the best CG features). It's because they love what they do, and it shows in the final product. I can't imagine a team of suits at Pixar discussing what movie would be most marketable, the way most studios do it. It simply doesn't happen.

Hey, RooJay, since you work at Pixar, and John Lasseter is obviously a fan of Miyazaki, you should somehow talk Miyazaki into directing a CG Pixar movie in America. :)

bigbarada
05-09-2008, 12:48 AM
Well, I was thinking that the absolute worst PIXAR movies are the worst because they are merely awesome and not super, incredibly, ground-breakingly amazing.

JediTricks
05-09-2008, 05:17 PM
The initial trailers and info I saw for this looked like "whatever", showing the character out of his context did nothing for me whatsoever. Then the newest trailer shows scenes from the movie and I was floored, this looked amazing! I absolutely cannot wait to see it, but I really have to question Disney's initial marketing plan with this thing.

figrin bran
05-10-2008, 02:06 AM
The initial trailers and info I saw for this looked like "whatever", showing the character out of his context did nothing for me whatsoever. Then the newest trailer shows scenes from the movie and I was floored, this looked amazing! I absolutely cannot wait to see it, but I really have to question Disney's initial marketing plan with this thing.

I know what you mean. Before the most recent trailer, I thought the film would just take place on Earth or Earth-that-was, if I may use the Firefly name for it. WALL-E in his junkyard can only be so interesting so it's great to see that he ventures into space.

bigbarada
05-10-2008, 02:38 AM

I don't think I've ever been impressed with any of PIXAR's teasers, but the movies have always won me over.

Darth Jax
05-10-2008, 09:08 AM
since it's Pixxar it'll be great. but when i first saw images of the guy all i could think of was Johnny 5.

figrin bran
05-12-2008, 10:56 PM
I knew it! Apparently, Apple helped design the EVE robot (http://money.cnn.com/2008/05/09/technology/siklos_walle.fortune/index.htm?postversion=2008051208). I feel like calling it E-V-E just to make it sound more Star Warsy

I found and bought some WALL-E toys at TRU yesterday. They're not bad actually and I'll try to post some pics soon.

2-1B
05-12-2008, 11:13 PM
I can't imagine ever watching this movie, just as I have not watched most other Pixar movies.

Darth Jax
05-12-2008, 11:43 PM
I can't imagine ever watching this movie, just as I have not watched most other Pixar movies.
They make one starring animated zombies and you'll have to break the blockade.

2-1B
05-13-2008, 12:37 AM
You got that right. :thumbsup:

They can call is Zomb-E ;)

RooJay
06-03-2008, 03:23 AM
Hey, RooJay, since you work at Pixar, and John Lasseter is obviously a fan of Miyazaki, you should somehow talk Miyazaki into directing a CG Pixar movie in America. :)

Yeah..uh, I'll get right on that...

JL is a big Miyazaki fan - we usually get to screen all their new movies here, and Miyazaki has even visited and gave a talk about his work. In fact, his visit was actually used as a special feature on the Howl's Moving Castle DVD. I wasn't able to make it to that presentation, but a couple of my friends are actually on the DVD sitting in Pixar's main screening room! If I can find a screen cap, I'll post it (not that it'l mean much to anyone who doesn't know my friends!:razz:)

RooJay
06-03-2008, 05:27 AM
Shhhhh...Some pics from Saturday's party...

RooJay
06-03-2008, 05:30 AM
A couple more - Me and the wife, some of the screening snacks provided by the local BNL (all will be much clearer once the release date comes), souvenir drink cup...

RooJay
06-03-2008, 05:38 AM
Here's a few more of me and my lady getting in on the action (ala Green Screen photography), and a close up of the menu in case anyone (probably no one) was wondering what kind of stuff we were fed...

Wish I could share more, but alas - there's that whole confidentiality agreement and the fear of being suddenly unemployed! The Party was a bast, however (they always are!) we even had a couple of 'friends' share in the fun with us (the 'Crying Trailer Watching Girl' you might have seen on YouTube, and maybe one or two others I'm afraid to speak about), the food was great, and the movie was fantastic (speaking strictly as a fan!) Dare I say it: this century's E.T.! The short you'll find attached to the movie is perhaps our most hilarious short films ever! I think you guys will really like this one!:thumbsup:

figrin bran
06-03-2008, 11:51 AM
Thanks for the pics RooJay! :thumbsup:

Buy N Large fed you great stuff! Fried Mac n Cheese squares with marinana sauce sounds delicious as does everything else on that menu.

Jargo
06-10-2008, 06:11 PM
This will be the first movie I've gone to see at an actual movie theatre for years. I reckon this one is well worth seeing on the big screen.

Incidentally RooJay, does Pixar have any plans to make adult movies? I know all the family movies work on adult levels too but i mean a proper grown up movie with adult themes (no not THAT kind of adult theme!) but obviously CG animated with the same lurve and attention to every detail that the family movies get. I'm just curious.

Blue2th
06-10-2008, 08:05 PM
Finally saw the previews at Indy. This looks like a lot of fun. I'll go see it.

I think I'm going to buy at least one of those Wall-e talking robots I saw at TRU.

RooJay
06-11-2008, 03:38 AM
This will be the first movie I've gone to see at an actual movie theatre for years. I reckon this one is well worth seeing on the big screen.

Incidentally RooJay, does Pixar have any plans to make adult movies? I know all the family movies work on adult levels too but i mean a proper grown up movie with adult themes (no not THAT kind of adult theme!) but obviously CG animated with the same lurve and attention to every detail that the family movies get. I'm just curious.

The only thing I can say for certain is that (and they just sent out another memo yesterday about sharing info online, so I shall try to tread very lightly) you probably aren't likely to see any CG animated films of a more mature variety from Pixar any time soon. I can point you in the direction of the good old fashioned Google search for related information, but I hesitate to comment outright on anything less vague.

General_Grievous
06-11-2008, 02:48 PM
Say, Rooj, do you know if there will be any sneak previews for "Wall-E" like there were with "Ratatouille"? I'm asking because I'll be on vacation the week of the 29th, and I probably won't be able to see "Wall-E" until about a week later.

RooJay
06-12-2008, 01:49 AM
I'm honestly not sure, but it seems like there probably should be. I know one of the big local radio stations is having one of those by invitation only, win some tickets kind of events - there might be a lot of those types of things going on. As far as actual, regular sneak preview type engagements I really don't know. If they do happen it'll almost certainly be the weekend before release. Our parent company seems quite fond of sneak preview screenings, so I'd almost say you can count on it.

RooJay
06-18-2008, 09:34 AM
Anyone collecting any of the Wall-E toys? Even I'll admit that the standard action figure line is a bit pricey, but I still dig 'em. They seem to go pretty well with Star Wars scale figures too, if anyone was interested in knowing. There are some pretty cool action features in the deluxe line that integrate pretty well with the design of the figures, also. Pretty cool considering how sucky most action features are. Here's a pic of a couple of the newest additions to my collection (as well as a few other things not from my collection, but on display nearby):

figrin bran
06-18-2008, 11:32 AM
Anyone collecting any of the Wall-E toys?

Thanks to the lull in SW figs, I've bought quite a few!!! I have Interaction Wall-E (waiting for Interaction Eve to be released), U Repair and Cube Stack W-E, Search and Protect Eve, all of the $5.99 figures including the Reject Bots boxed set. My favorite is the aforementioned deluxe Eve even though the mechanism to change the eye expressions doesn't work very well on mine.

How big is that W-E "sandcrawler" vehicle? If it gets released before 7/26, I might consider getting one.

Yes, they do indeed go well with SW figs - here's a pic I took a few weeks back.

RooJay
06-19-2008, 02:45 AM
Thanks to the lull in SW figs, I've bought quite a few!!! I have Interaction Wall-E (waiting for Interaction Eve to be released), U Repair and Cube Stack W-E, Search and Protect Eve, all of the $5.99 figures including the Reject Bots boxed set. My favorite is the aforementioned deluxe Eve even though the mechanism to change the eye expressions doesn't work very well on mine.

How big is that W-E "sandcrawler" vehicle? If it gets released before 7/26, I might consider getting one.

Yes, they do indeed go well with SW figs - here's a pic I took a few weeks back.

Dude, did you get all of the 5.99 bots? They offered them to us at cost a couple months back, but I figured I'd find them in stores before our shipment came in and so I decided to pass figuring I wouldn't want to wait. Now I'm having trouble finding all but Wall-E and Eve in stores, and wish I had just ordered all of them through work!:rolleyes: I did find M-O just yesterday, and managed to pick up the four-pack (and the Captain as well) a couple weeks ago. I see the Vacuum Cleaner-Bot, Defibrillator-Bot, and Auto-Pilot hanging out in our atrium everyday laughing at me!

The BNL truck is pretty huge! I'd say it's just a bit smaller than the old Millennium Falcon toy (though only about half as wide), and certainly larger than the standard mid-size SW vehicle range we're all familiar with.

Also, for the record, the Eve action figures in each range (not including the Inter-Action and the other larger scale electronic versions) all seem quite a bit out of scale to me. She should actually be just about the same size as Wall-E. As it is, both the standard and deluxe versions are quite larger than they actually should be. Kind of sucks if ya ask me, but what're ya gonna do? Now that I think about it, the regular, $5.99 Eve might actually be closer in scale to the deluxe version of Wall-E.

Jargo
06-19-2008, 07:23 AM
I bought the mini vinyl version of eve and Wall-e where Wall-e is holding the fire extinguisher and Eve has a nice molded thrust cloud beneath her. I was very tempted by the larger figures and the RC Wall-e was very kindly demonstrated by a shop assistant in the Disney store but his hard sell was pathetic and i just don't have any room for anything but the tiny vinyl figures.but the scale of the Eve figures slightly bothered me too.

I gotta wait til July 18th for the UK release of the movie I think. boo hiss. :(

figrin bran
06-26-2008, 12:35 AM
Dude, did you get all of the 5.99 bots? They offered them to us at cost a couple months back, but I figured I'd find them in stores before our shipment came in and so I decided to pass figuring I wouldn't want to wait. Now I'm having trouble finding all but Wall-E and Eve in stores, and wish I had just ordered all of them through work!:rolleyes: I did find M-O just yesterday, and managed to pick up the four-pack (and the Captain as well) a couple weeks ago. I see the Vacuum Cleaner-Bot, Defibrillator-Bot, and Auto-Pilot hanging out in our atrium everyday laughing at me!

The BNL truck is pretty huge! I'd say it's just a bit smaller than the old Millennium Falcon toy (though only about half as wide), and certainly larger than the standard mid-size SW vehicle range we're all familiar with.

Also, for the record, the Eve action figures in each range (not including the Inter-Action and the other larger scale electronic versions) all seem quite a bit out of scale to me. She should actually be just about the same size as Wall-E. As it is, both the standard and deluxe versions are quite larger than they actually should be. Kind of sucks if ya ask me, but what're ya gonna do? Now that I think about it, the regular, $5.99 Eve might actually be closer in scale to the deluxe version of Wall-E.

Yes, I did get all the $5.99 bots that are out. See, this is what happens when there aren't SW figs to buy! :p I've seen on ebay that the Defib bot comes in a set with 3 repacks - Wall-E, Eve and MO and so I'll probably have to pass on that but I'll probably want Auto and Vacuum bot.

The scale of the Eve toys have bothered me as well. However, I'm okay with that size for $5.99. But 5.99 for the MO and hoverboard accessory????

I saw and played with Interactive Eve at Engine-Ears Toys in California Adventure (was there to ride Toy Story Midway Mania!!!) and was so impressed by it that I would've bought it if it weren't $39! I'll just wait for TRU to get them. The animation for the eyes on that toy were very well done.

Jargo, if you can afford both the space and money, Interactive Wall-E and Eve are worth it in my opinion. That sucks about 7/18 being the release date in the UK. Incidentally with regards to one of your earlier posts, I've heard rumors about the John Carter movie possibly being live action but then that's just a rumor and probably something that Rooj can't comment on ;)

Looks like I have a tough choice to make...AT-TE or BNL truck? lol! If only they had a smaller (like SW titanium size) version of the truck and the Axiom!

I won't get to see the film this Friday but do plan to on Saturday in which event I'll have more to say about the film and not just the toys.

Lastly, I find this origami Wall-E template that someone posted http://chosetec.darkclan.net/origami/wall_e/ but I haven't a clue how to put it together. Looks pretty nice though.

RooJay
06-26-2008, 02:48 AM
Yes, I did get all the $5.99 bots that are out. See, this is what happens when there aren't SW figs to buy! :p I've seen on ebay that the Defib bot comes in a set with 3 repacks - Wall-E, Eve and MO and so I'll probably have to pass on that but I'll probably want Auto and Vacuum bot.

Both Defib-Bot and Vacuum-Bot have been produced on individual cards. I'm just not sure if they've yet been shipped to retail. We have them on display in our atrium - I'll post a pic below.

The scale of the Eve toys have bothered me as well. However, I'm okay with that size for $5.99. But 5.99 for the MO and hoverboard accessory????

Having seen the movie now a few more times I realize that EVE is not as out of scale as I'd originally thought. Still, even though she actually is larger than Wall-E in the movie she should not be quite that much larger - I'm estimating that she'd be a little more accurate is she were nor more than half an inch taller than Wall-E than the full inch the figure works out to (I'm using the 5.99 scale bots for my example.)
And yes, I agree 5.99 ends up seeming like quite a bit too much to pay for little M-O and his Transport-Bot. He is a cool little guy, and I reckon he'll be a really popular character once everyone gets a chance to see the movie, but he really should have been more of a pack-in for one of the other, larger figures. Coincidentally, I also really wish they'd managed to add in some kind of accessories for Wall-E and EVE at least. There are quite a few really cool items that they interact with in the film that would have been great to have and would have gone a long way towards adding major value to the line.

I saw and played with Interactive Eve at Engine-Ears Toys in California Adventure (was there to ride Toy Story Midway Mania!!!) and was so impressed by it that I would've bought it if it weren't $39! I'll just wait for TRU to get them. The animation for the eyes on that toy were very well done.

hmm...:ninja:

Jargo, if you can afford both the space and money, Interactive Wall-E and Eve are worth it in my opinion. That sucks about 7/18 being the release date in the UK. Incidentally with regards to one of your earlier posts, I've heard rumors about the John Carter movie possibly being live action but then that's just a rumor and probably something that Rooj can't comment on ;)

They might seem a bit pricey, but I agree that once in hand, most folks would consider them well worth the price. Seems like they'll be the toys to get if you're looking for those one or two special items that you just can't pass up!
Also, for the record - yes, I probably shouldn't be commenting on such things, but if you do a simple google search, you will readily find the information you seek. On a side note, I found out about a new co-worker who joined us a month or so back (who has actually moved into an office right around the corner from my cube) that I was extremely excited to find out about. I won't mention the name, but a lot of folks on these boards might find him to be a person of interest, and should be fairly well acquainted with some of his past work.

Looks like I have a tough choice to make...AT-TE or BNL truck? lol! If only they had a smaller (like SW titanium size) version of the truck and the Axiom!

There's one particular scene in the movie that made me really wish we could get some kind of small, die-cast Axiom. I know I'd buy one!

Before I finish this post, I just want to point out that I in no way benefit from sales of our films' merchandising! I swear! I hope it's not coming off as sounding like I'm shilling product here, but everyone who's paid attention should realize that my ultimate interest comes purely as a fan. Besides, pretty much all of the profits from licensing goes directly to our parent company. Doesn't even figure into our bonuses; which really kind of sucks considering how much those die-cast Cars toys have sold! I probably could have bought a house by now! Box-Office does figure into my bonus, though. So by all means, please go out and see the movie this weekend!:D

...multiple times preferably...I've got a PS3 riding on the opening weekend...

plasticfetish
06-26-2008, 04:52 AM
Not sure how I missed this thread... can't remember where I'm posting things sometimes. (I'd put up a blog a while back over on my MySpace page (http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=52407330&blogID=401775662).)

Aside from the fact that this film is one of the 3 or 4 that I've been really excited about this summer, I've also picked up a few (well... two at this point) of the toys.

They've been very hard to find around here though. The basic figures seem to come and go quickly. Haven't tried a Disney Store yet. Do they have a pretty big selection... or is that a dumb question?

Jargo
06-26-2008, 07:03 AM
Well i shall certainly be going to see it at the cinema next month. I've even convinced my partner that it's a must-see so i may try and get a group together and make a night of it.

I think considering how limiting the designs on some of the robots are, the way the Pixar dudes have managed to breathe life into them and even individual character is nothing short of astounding. There again it doesn't surprise me either I'm pretty sure they could manage to make a limp lettuce leaf seem like fun. Those Pixar dudes are mighty clever. I am totally in awe. :love:

figrin bran
06-26-2008, 11:59 AM
They've been very hard to find around here though. The basic figures seem to come and go quickly. Haven't tried a Disney Store yet. Do they have a pretty big selection... or is that a dumb question?

I stopped by Disney Store last weekend and they sold quite a few of the toys - plush toys that is. I guess they won't have action figures like they have had for other films like Ratatouille and the POTC films.

Don't worry Rooj, I won't be able to see it multiple times this weekend but if I like it enough after my 1st viewing on Sat, I'll definitely see it again next weekend.

figrin bran
06-28-2008, 03:06 AM
Roojay and everyone else, look at what I got at the Disney Soda Fountain tonight

Wall-E paddle ball (http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s161/brnder/DSCI0013-1.jpg)

Now I too can play reverse paddle ball and hit myself in the face with it.

I will see the film tomorrow and will post my thoughts by Sunday at the latest.

DarthQuack
06-28-2008, 03:48 PM
Just got back from seeing it, I'll definitely see it again once or twice more....It was that good, IMO...It's kind of hard to describe the picture...just that I enjoyed it A LOT.

TeeEye7
06-29-2008, 05:57 PM
Just returned from seeing it with my 8-year-old niece and 5-year-old nephew. Everyone enjoyed it immensely! :thumbsup: It will be a "keeper" for sure when the DVD comes out. The kids even scored a Wall-e digital wrist watch, too, with the price of admission!

I think 2-1Cae would even like it!

And.....BTW:

Attention RooJay: It was very, very cool to see your first, middle and last names in the closing credits! :thumbsup: :yes:
Nicely done, Mr. V!

figrin bran
06-29-2008, 09:19 PM
I wasn't looking for but didn't see RooJay's name in the credits. I guess I was too distracted by the Atari 2600 graphics!

I loved the film btw and I too will see it once or twice more during the theater run.

TeeEye7
06-29-2008, 11:22 PM
I wasn't looking for but didn't see RooJay's name in the credits. I guess I was too distracted by the Atari 2600 graphics!

I loved the film btw and I too will see it once or twice more during the theater run.

It's definitely worth the big screen experience, IMO. It will be fine on DVD, but the animation was so cool, that I think folks would be missing out big time if they didn't see it in theaters.

Darth Jax
06-30-2008, 08:35 AM
it was good, but i won't be seeing it again at the theaters. i haven't seen any animated movie more than once on the big screen. it's rare that i'll watch anything more than once for $10.

JediTricks
06-30-2008, 05:00 PM
I saw it yesterday, and had a very good time with it. I wish there had been more time with the main characters, the second half getting into the adventure took away from that aspect and I just wanted a few more non-frantic moments with Wall*e and EVE, and maybe a little more with the defective robots as well - this film could have been 2 hours and I probably would have wanted more. Ben Burtt's repertoire is representing quite a bit in that film, Wall*e has more than a few R2 notes in his sounds, I suppose that's not surprising since Burtt's the voice, and it is a robot. The movie looked utterly amazing, the Earth-bound stuff looked photo-real and just had a sense of reality to it. All in all, very good.

I wasn't looking for but didn't see RooJay's name in the credits. I guess I was too distracted by the Atari 2600 graphics! I thought they were more 8-bit NES graphics really. I also didn't see his name though, sadly.

figrin bran
06-30-2008, 10:35 PM
Stop the presses! JT actually liked it!!!!

You might be right about the NES graphics. I think I remember seeing something that reminded me of the life hearts in Legend of Zelda.

JediTricks
07-01-2008, 02:51 AM
Yeah, good thing Iron Man came out before TPM or I might have liked another movie this year as well. :rolleyes: Of course, I'm the only one who didn't like films this year, as you just loooooooooved Indy 4.

Jargo
07-01-2008, 11:02 AM
I hate each and every one of you that's seen it :( 17 days to go and counting.....

figrin bran
07-01-2008, 11:40 AM
Yeah, good thing Iron Man came out before TPM or I might have liked another movie this year as well. :rolleyes: Of course, I'm the only one who didn't like films this year, as you just loooooooooved Indy 4.

Yep, I sure did! Want to see all of the KOTCS figures I ended up with? :p

at least it was better than Transformers

Now to get back on topic, I thought it was interesting that rather than try to digitally remaster "Put on Your Sunday Clothes", they went with an analog recording. I think it works out better that way actually.

Jargo, at least the wait will be worth it

TeeEye7
07-01-2008, 01:15 PM
it was good, but i won't be seeing it again at the theaters. i haven't seen any animated movie more than once on the big screen. it's rare that i'll watch anything more than once for $10.

And isn't that the shame of it? I would like to see it again big screen-style, but I'll wait for the DVD. I've become very selective of the movies I will see in theaters because of the cost (or should I say "investment"?). Wall-e was one of those choices to go see in the theater and I'm glad I did.

Nowadays, I'm more inclined to wait for a DVD on a movie I'm interested in because in the long run, it's cheaper.

General_Grievous
07-01-2008, 02:13 PM
I'm seeing it tomorrow. I just got back from vacation, so I haven't had a chance to see it yet. I'm really looking forward to it.

Neuroleptic
07-01-2008, 05:23 PM
I went and saw this movie last night and I loved it. Because of the price of tickets these days I won't be going back to see it until it comes out on DVD. But I will certanly be geting it on dvd the day it comes out.

JediTricks
07-02-2008, 01:23 AM
Now to get back on topic, I thought it was interesting that rather than try to digitally remaster "Put on Your Sunday Clothes", they went with an analog recording. I think it works out better that way actually. I suspect they actually did some level of remastering on Hello Dolly there, but the CG scan lines and slight moire pattern from the fresnel lens (hi there, I'm a nerd) used to upscale the image from the iPod Nano screen to a better TV size would hide most imperfections anyway. The audio sounded a little cleaned up too.

As for pricing, I'll probably go see it at matinee sooner or later. I would have loved to have taken my niece to it, but she's leaving for a trip tomorrow.

RooJay
07-02-2008, 03:55 AM
Glad to hear everyone seems to have enjoyed the movie as much as I did! I've actually seen it four times now! My favorite scene is the escape pod scene when EVE tries to send Wall-E back to earth. I love how Wall-E jumps up on the chair and taps his feet together and then motions for EVE to sit next to him! I love Wall-E's "eeeeeeeEEEEEVAAAAAaaaaah!" as he goes flying past her with the fire extinguisher, too!

In case anyone was wondering - I did not win the PS3 in our box office guessing contest. I was pretty close, though - only off by less than half a million! I get another chance in January with the worldwide gross, though. Here's hoping!

Attention RooJay: It was very, very cool to see your first, middle and last names in the closing credits! :thumbsup: :yes:
Nicely done, Mr. V!

Gotta have the middle name in there - that way there's no confusion!:D Plus, it makes my name stand out all that much more making sure it's longer than everyone else's!:pleased:

figrin bran
07-02-2008, 12:06 PM
Glad to hear everyone seems to have enjoyed the movie as much as I did! I've actually seen it four times now! My favorite scene is the escape pod scene when EVE tries to send Wall-E back to earth. I love how Wall-E jumps up on the chair and taps his feet together and then motions for EVE to sit next to him! I love Wall-E's "eeeeeeeEEEEEVAAAAAaaaaah!" as he goes flying past her with the fire extinguisher, too!

In case anyone was wondering - I did not win the PS3 in our box office guessing contest. I was pretty close, though - only off by less than half a million! I get another chance in January with the worldwide gross, though. Here's hoping!

Gotta have the middle name in there - that way there's no confusion!:D Plus, it makes my name stand out all that much more making sure it's longer than everyone else's!:pleased:

If only the film premiered in the UK, you would've gotten Jargo's dollars and been that much closer to the PS3.

I was not expecting EVE to kick so much tailpipe and be so superhero-ish! Gotta love the "shoot first, ask questions later" approach! (How about some "Eve shot first" merchandise?) And you gotta love how she darted into the launch chute and rocketed out into space to try to get Wall-E out of the escape pod. That static line that went across her face as she stopped and said "No..." was a great touch as well. :thumbsup:

General_Grievous
07-02-2008, 04:15 PM
I saw this today, and to no surprise, I loved it. There must be something in the water at Pixar. How else can they keep cranking out all these great movies? I certainly tip my hat to them (you too, Rooj) for delivering another great story.

I loved Wall-E and Eve and their interaction with each other. I was amazed by their mannerisms and how you could clearly see their emotions. I also loved the supporting robot cast, especially Mo.

In terms of rank, I'd put "Wall-E" right behind "Finding Nemo", "The Incredibles" and "Toy Story 2" as my favorite Pixar film.

RooJay
07-03-2008, 03:56 AM
If only the film premiered in the UK, you would've gotten Jargo's dollars and been that much closer to the PS3.

I'm still in the running for the final worldwide box-office contest, so as bad as I feel for Jargo that he still can't see it, his ticket purchase might still help me out there!:thumbsup:

I saw this today, and to no surprise, I loved it. There must be something in the water at Pixar. How else can they keep cranking out all these great movies? I certainly tip my hat to them (you too, Rooj) for delivering another great story.

Honestly, anything you may have heard about the incredible working environment here is almost certainly true. Everybody here is just so happy, well-motivated and well-treated, and the work environment is so incredibly supportive. One of the reasons why it's so hard to get a job here is that almost no one can ever bring themselves to leave. I would say that for most people, it takes an incredible, once in a lifetime counter-offer that can't be refused to convince them to move on to another job! I'm probably one of the least important folks here, and I honestly couldn't imagine leaving this job for just about anything else! It really is an incredible honor and privilege just to be involved on any level. I think that even if I were to win the lottery tomorrow, I would still come to work every week just so that I could continue to say that I was part of it all. I know it sounds cheesy, and there are a lot nobler and more important things I could be doing with my time, but for the time being it really is that rewarding an experience for me.

JediTricks
07-03-2008, 05:15 AM
Sometimes I think Pixar has become a religious cult. :p

2-1B
07-03-2008, 07:24 PM
No kiddin' JT, with all the creepy high praise being heaved on this film, one would think it is Speed Racer or somethin'

sith_killer_99
07-03-2008, 07:57 PM
Sometimes I think Pixar has become a religious cult.

Not yet, but you may be on to something JT, it would have to be better than Scientology!:yes:

RooJay
07-04-2008, 03:08 AM
Not yet, but you may be on to something JT, it would have to be better than Scientology!:yes:

Well we don't have to pay dues like the Scientologists, although we do get a commission for recruiting like they do!:yes: They may have the better health care plan - I'm still thoroughly covered in Thetans!:sad:

RUSHBOY
07-04-2008, 03:38 AM
I thought Wall-E was a very cool movie !! I laughed I cried it was AWESOME !! :bandit:

JediTricks
07-04-2008, 04:28 PM
No kiddin' JT, with all the creepy high praise being heaved on this film, one would think it is Speed Racer or somethin'
The difference here is that there are more than 3 people praising it. :p

mabudonicus
07-04-2008, 05:31 PM
HEYYYY me, JJ, Chux AND Darthvyn loved Speed Racer, so put THAT in your CD-tray and press "close" JT

:beard: Iso&Baws
I have NEVER seen a pixar movie- wisecracking squirrels/possums/cats/little aliens are NOT my bag

jjreason
07-04-2008, 08:02 PM
Wow, Mabs, I'm amazed to hear that. I can pretty much guarantee that you'd love the Incredibles - beyond that one I tend to let my kids watch them on their own.

I did see Wall-E, and was pretty surprised by it. There is little to no dialog, yet the communication works very well. The scenes him & EVE dancing in space were absolutely gorgeous. On the down side, I thought the film had seriously dark undertones - we keep consuming at the rate we're going and this is a lot more like what the future will be than we'd ever want to imagine.

My kids thought it was just "ok".

Neuroleptic
07-04-2008, 09:31 PM
I have NEVER seen a pixar movie- wisecracking squirrels/possums/cats/little aliens are NOT my bag

You don't know what you're missing man. Wall-E is honestly a good movie. It's funny, simple, easy to follow, yet if you look a little below the surface of it, it has quite a few things that really make you stop and think. That last one is something that few movies do these days.

TeeEye7
07-04-2008, 09:35 PM
On the down side, I thought the film had seriously dark undertones -

My wife just couldn't get passed that point, so for her the movie was a major meh.

I just put my brain on hold for any "messages" and just sat in awe of the animation and enjoyed Wall-e and Eve's story. I really like the movie!

sith_killer_99
07-04-2008, 11:13 PM
Well, I just took my wife and daughter to see this film. We all enjoyed this movie very much. My daughter wants the DVD now. We had to explain that it won't be out on DVD for some time, but that we will buy it as soon as it is released.:yes:

figrin bran
07-05-2008, 09:30 PM
Directive: Locate alias of SSG forum member Roojay in closing credits

Directive accomplished. :thumbsup:

Roojay, I saw "infrastructure" pass by and then feared for a second that I missed you once again.

At TRU I found a single carded Gopher bot today. I assume I missed out on Auto or Vacuum bot or defib bot or all of the above.

JediTricks
07-06-2008, 05:45 PM
HEYYYY me, JJ, Chux AND Darthvyn loved Speed Racer, so put THAT in your CD-tray and press "close" JTIf only Vyn had posted here about it, your pointed smackdown might not have ended up back IN YOUR FACE!!! ;) I said "here" in my post, and now look at your pitiful band of rebel friends as they witness the awesome firepower of this fully armed and operational battlestation! (line intentionally mangled)

I have NEVER seen a pixar movie- wisecracking squirrels/possums/cats/little aliens are NOT my bagYou shouldn't prejudge, especially since you're dead wrong about what Pixar's about. Pixar films are generally all heart and not a lot of wisecracking, they leave that to the inferior CG animated junk that Dreamworks and Fox put out. Pixar's twist on the little aliens in Toy Story is one of my favorite bits out there: "the claw is our maaaaaster!" Monster's Inc, Finding Nemo, and Wall*e are all amazing flicks, you should give those 3 a shot - as for the others, Toy Story is a'ight but a little syrupy IMO, A Bug's Life is a tad light, I didn't bother with Cars, and I found The Incredibles to be really obvious and underperforming, but none of them are the cliche you're holding.

Exhaust Port
07-07-2008, 10:45 PM
I saw the movie this evening and would give it a "C". Visually I think Wall-E is the best they've done so far as the photorealism was more than I had seen in other movies. I read an article recently that talked about how they completely "rebuilt" their software cameras so they reflected true cinematic lenses (ie depth of field) rather than traditional computer imaging. I really noticed a difference in a few of the close up shots of Wall-E on Earth as well as some wide-angle shots on Earth. Loved the visuals and wouldn't minde watching the movie (for free) just to take it in again.

<May contain nuts and alude to a spoiler>

The weakest part was the story. The story completely shifted gears too many times. First Act was Wall-E existing on Earth alone. Second Act was Wall-E meeting Eve. Third Act was a new Wall-E/Eve story unfolding on the ship. The last Act was a quick chase scene to wrap up the movie (place the peg in the hole, race the clock fashion).

Each of those could have been told completely seperately and didn't rely on each other. Wall-E alone would have been a great short. Wall-E having Eve dumped on his planet could have been a great short. Wall-E being a fish out of water (old robot in a new world) could have been a great short. Some may argue that the Wall-E/Eve story line was part of the final chase but I don't see it that way. It didn't matter as the goal was to benefit the ship, not each other mostly. They gave it a small sappy event (save the cheerleader, save the world type) to give you some vested interest in this ship of people but I thought it was a lame plot point. Once the ship captain figured out where they/he wanted to go why did he need Wall-E/Eve and their cargo? He didn't, he could have just fired up the GPS and off they went. It just felt like they got the characters that far and wanted to wrap it up. Blah. They've done better.

RooJay
07-08-2008, 02:00 AM

You shouldn't prejudge, especially since you're dead wrong about what Pixar's about. Pixar films are generally all heart and not a lot of wisecracking, they leave that to the inferior CG animated junk that Dreamworks and Fox put out. Pixar's twist on the little aliens in Toy Story is one of my favorite bits out there: "the claw is our maaaaaster!" Monster's Inc, Finding Nemo, and Wall*e are all amazing flicks, you should give those 3 a shot - as for the others, Toy Story is a'ight but a little syrupy IMO, A Bug's Life is a tad light, I didn't bother with Cars, and I found The Incredibles to be really obvious and underperforming, but none of them are the cliche you're holding.

Thanks JT, and might I also point out that Pixar has yet to include any of the things Mabs has cited in his above post. We have had aliens, but they were actually toys in the shape of aliens and they do not crack wise. I have a feeling our friend here may be confusing Pixar product with films from other companies. I think a lot of times that people assume that if there's a CG animated film out there, that it must be from Pixar. I especially note that kind of thing when people hear for the first time that I work for Pixar and they immediately go on about how their fans and how much they really like Shrek. For those not in the know - Shrek is not one of ours.

JediTricks
07-08-2008, 06:42 AM
I thought Shrek really, REALLY sucked, and it looked pretty meh doing it, not a damned thing about it said Pixar. (Though their send-up of Disneyland was pretty sharp, the rest of the film was sooooo flat and without heart.) It's kind of hard for me to understand how someone seeing even the trailers for Toy Story or Wall*e or Finding Nemo could mistake it for Shrek or Ice Age or that stuff (I actually thought Fox's Ice Age was alright, better than Shrek). I guess that's the whole "ipod = MP3 player" thing, Pixar's the brand name and suffers its competitors failures for that (I am NOT an ipod convert if anybody's wondering, they are some of the most overrated MP3 players out there, I think iTunes sucks, their sound quality is middling, and all they have is a slick interface and some damned fine branding to explain a very high pricetag).

It's easy for me to have nice things to say about Pixar, they seem to run a good ship in a direction no other studio is currently running (that towards creativity and quality and listening to the group rather than just going with groupthink) and many studios SHOULD be following this example. Pixar makes cartoon art in some ways in the same vein Walt Disney himself did back in the early days, taking the material just seriously enough without removing the fun, treating the audience as young at heart but not stupid, and making the products accessible through smart writing and quality artwork rather than formula studio writing and double entendres, cheap adult jokes, and mountains of pop culture references. With major motion pictures, it's so hard to find a studio that consistently aims for and delivers artistic merit and quality, so for me it's easy to point to the one that actually stands out. I watched every morsel of the Monsters Inc dvd extras and was impressed with every single thing I saw, same with Finding Nemo.

I just realized I didn't mention Ratatouille, that's only because I haven't gotten around to seeing it yet, I didn't make time for it when it came out because it wasn't quite up my alley, but I knew I'd rent it and I just haven't yet.

The weakest part was the story. The story completely shifted gears too many times. First Act was Wall-E existing on Earth alone. Second Act was Wall-E meeting Eve. Third Act was a new Wall-E/Eve story unfolding on the ship. The last Act was a quick chase scene to wrap up the movie (place the peg in the hole, race the clock fashion).

Each of those could have been told completely seperately and didn't rely on each other. Wall-E alone would have been a great short. Wall-E having Eve dumped on his planet could have been a great short. Wall-E being a fish out of water (old robot in a new world) could have been a great short. Some may argue that the Wall-E/Eve story line was part of the final chase but I don't see it that way. It didn't matter as the goal was to benefit the ship, not each other mostly. They gave it a small sappy event (save the cheerleader, save the world type) to give you some vested interest in this ship of people but I thought it was a lame plot point. Once the ship captain figured out where they/he wanted to go why did he need Wall-E/Eve and their cargo? He didn't, he could have just fired up the GPS and off they went. It just felt like they got the characters that far and wanted to wrap it up. Blah. They've done better.Hmm, interesting. I've heard similar criticisms of this movie before, and I just don't understand it. Even Richard Roeper said the first 30 minutes when Wall*e is alone might be too much for some folks, but I found that part of the story was actually told in about 12 minutes and I actually wanted MORE of Wall*e's universe before the big love story, I loved having that little guy around, his spork bit, the "groggily awakening" bit, that stuff was so clever and endearing, and made for Eve's addition to his rather solitary life that much more important - we see that he gets along without love or significant companionship, but he doesn't feel complete without it. So the romance, finding the new robot, that stuff COULD have all been shorts and worked, true, but the heart of Wall*e is what I think carries the first half of the film and makes all the little segments (which are shorter than they seem) tie together.

Once Wall*e gets to the Axiom, I think his love is what ties the story together, but it is a little formulaic in some ways - I still bought it, and I think they should have taken Wall*e's infectious humanity which touched all the broken robots as well as the 3 humans he encountered even further than they did. Still, Wall*e's initial trek into space amazed me, and some of his unorthodox interactions on the Axiom amused me, and him and Eve flying through space, I loved that. All in all, I think most of the film ties together really well because of the R2-D2-like star's personality and emotional impact.

Exhaust Port
07-08-2008, 10:46 AM
Hmm, interesting. I've heard similar criticisms of this movie before, and I just don't understand it. Even Richard Roeper said the first 30 minutes when Wall*e is alone might be too much for some folks, but I found that part of the story was actually told in about 12 minutes and I actually wanted MORE of Wall*e's universe before the big love story, I loved having that little guy around, his spork bit, the "groggily awakening" bit, that stuff was so clever and endearing, and made for Eve's addition to his rather solitary life that much more important - we see that he gets along without love or significant companionship, but he doesn't feel complete without it. So the romance, finding the new robot, that stuff COULD have all been shorts and worked, true, but the heart of Wall*e is what I think carries the first half of the film and makes all the little segments (which are shorter than they seem) tie together.

For me that would have been a much better movie, just Wall-E alone followed by Eve's arrival into his universe.

Once Wall*e gets to the Axiom, I think his love is what ties the story together, but it is a little formulaic in some ways - I still bought it, and I think they should have taken Wall*e's infectious humanity which touched all the broken robots as well as the 3 humans he encountered even further than they did. Still, Wall*e's initial trek into space amazed me, and some of his unorthodox interactions on the Axiom amused me, and him and Eve flying through space, I loved that. All in all, I think most of the film ties together really well because of the R2-D2-like star's personality and emotional impact.

This is a big reason why everything on the Axiom felt without purpose, a completely different story arc. The broken robots and the man and woman he encountered did nothing to help the story IMO. Nothing developed and nothing came from his encounter. Sure they ended up with a few folks yelling his name at the end but big deal, they could have been completely cut out and it wouldn't have changed the storyline.

I'm still baffled why they even needed the plant to be dropped in the magic tube. Hey Captain, just punch in Earth and we'll be there in a few minutes with our without the plant.

I also felt that once they landed on Earth that those folks were doomed. It didn't leave me with a sense of hope for those humans, only a feeling that they would all be dead in 6 months after realizing that terraforming wasn't easy. Yeah, a few plants!!!! Probably dandelions or something.

figrin bran
07-08-2008, 11:51 AM
For me that would have been a much better movie, just Wall-E alone followed by Eve's arrival into his universe.

This is a big reason why everything on the Axiom felt without purpose, a completely different story arc. The broken robots and the man and woman he encountered did nothing to help the story IMO. Nothing developed and nothing came from his encounter. Sure they ended up with a few folks yelling his name at the end but big deal, they could have been completely cut out and it wouldn't have changed the storyline.

I'm still baffled why they even needed the plant to be dropped in the magic tube. Hey Captain, just punch in Earth and we'll be there in a few minutes with our without the plant.

I also felt that once they landed on Earth that those folks were doomed. It didn't leave me with a sense of hope for those humans, only a feeling that they would all be dead in 6 months after realizing that terraforming wasn't easy. Yeah, a few plants!!!! Probably dandelions or something.

The Captain sure as heck wouldn't know what coordinates to punch in for Earth and so MotherRipley, the computer, needed to verify that a plant was found before jumping away to Earth.

Now as for JT's comments regarding Shrek. Unfortunately, I watched the sequels as well and they get progressively worse as they mine the same formula that wasn't even worth mining in the first place. All those cheap jokes and pop culture references might score some points with audiences now but at the cost of dating the film. Not to mention DreamWorks Animation's tendency towards a "look at me, I'm not taking this too seriously at all and so that means I'm hip" mentality. All I needed to see was that horrible trailer for Madagascar 2 to know that particular film is right off of the aforementioned assembly line.

There is no way that Shrek and the like will hold up for future generations the way that the early Disney films do or that the Pixar films will do.

Exhaust Port
07-08-2008, 12:42 PM
The Captain sure as heck wouldn't know what coordinates to punch in for Earth and so MotherRipley, the computer, needed to verify that a plant was found before jumping away to Earth.

Dropping the plant into the holo-detector only activated the automatic jump to lightspeed back to earth, the computer system clearly knew where earth was and the captain only needed to override AUTO to prevent him from stopping the ship from going there. The whole holo-detector plot device wasn't needed and only added unneeded steps to a simple action.

Jargo
07-09-2008, 07:38 PM
Meh. Over intellectualisation. you have to suspend disbelief to watch a movie like this. open your nine year old eyes and just enjoy it for what it is. a cool little robot on an adventure.

figrin bran
07-09-2008, 11:08 PM
Jargo, I think you'll appreciate this. One of Roojay's colleagues built this Lego Wall-E (http://www.brothers-brick.com/2008/06/26/pixar-animator-angus-maclane-builds-best-lego-wall-e-yet-interview/)

JediTricks
07-10-2008, 02:32 AM
For me that would have been a much better movie, just Wall-E alone followed by Eve's arrival into his universe.But that's not a very rounded story arc for either of them, there's not a lot of character growth that way.

This is a big reason why everything on the Axiom felt without purpose, a completely different story arc. The broken robots and the man and woman he encountered did nothing to help the story IMO. Nothing developed and nothing came from his encounter. Sure they ended up with a few folks yelling his name at the end but big deal, they could have been completely cut out and it wouldn't have changed the storyline.The Axiom was Eve's mission, that makes it her purpose, and because it's important to her, it becomes important to Wall*e. It could have been more fleshed out, one of the things I would have liked to have seen more of, but I do think it does the job it needs to, Wall*e has a purpose and behaves like a fish out of water which further gets us to know him and to know Eve by how they react to these unusual situations.

I'm still baffled why they even needed the plant to be dropped in the magic tube. Hey Captain, just punch in Earth and we'll be there in a few minutes with our without the plant.The system wouldn't allow this, the system is what ran the ship's navigation, not the captain.

I also felt that once they landed on Earth that those folks were doomed. It didn't leave me with a sense of hope for those humans, only a feeling that they would all be dead in 6 months after realizing that terraforming wasn't easy. Yeah, a few plants!!!! Probably dandelions or something.They had robots to help them though, and the knowledge of what to get right, AND the ship still probably could have sustained them as well for the time being. And less people to feed at first, it was only 1 of many ships, not the entire human race.

Dropping the plant into the holo-detector only activated the automatic jump to lightspeed back to earth, the computer system clearly knew where earth was and the captain only needed to override AUTO to prevent him from stopping the ship from going there. The whole holo-detector plot device wasn't needed and only added unneeded steps to a simple action.But that same computer system wouldn't do that on its own without the exact preset conditions, and the captain didn't seem to know how to get the ship to go ANYWHERE without those systems.

El Chuxter
07-10-2008, 06:59 AM
I've not seen Wall-E yet. But I have to concur with JT (who beat me to the punch about the Dreamworks thing) that mabs should see some Pixar movies.

The Incredibles would be the greatest comic book superhero film ever made, dwarfing Batman Begins by miles, if only it were actually based on a comic book.

Toy Story 1 & 2 are both required viewing for anyone who ever loved or collected toys. Particularly #2. With your disdain for scalpers and collectors who miss the point, you'd especially appreciate it.

Hell, A Bug's Life is a cartoon remake of Seven Samurai, to an extent. You can't get much cooler than that.

Not to diminish the rest, but those are the ones I think you'd dig right off the bat.

The wisecracking possums and easily dated unfunny pop culture references belong to Dreamworks and the other guys churning out CG features. One thing that can definitely be said about Pixar is that, regardless of whether it's true, they come across as a bunch of talented guys (and gals) who are far more interested in putting out quality movies than on the bottom line. They seem to get what most folks in Hollywood miss: work on making a good movie, then on marketing it properly, and you can pretty much count on success.

Darth Jax
07-10-2008, 08:47 AM
The wisecracking possums and easily dated unfunny pop culture references belong to Dreamworks and the other guys churning out CG features. One thing that can definitely be said about Pixar is that, regardless of whether it's true, they come across as a bunch of talented guys (and gals) who are far more interested in putting out quality movies than on the bottom line. They seem to get what most folks in Hollywood miss: work on making a good movie, then on marketing it properly, and you can pretty much count on success.

You don't even need to market it, it'll be big just on past movies. i hadn't seen a single trailer for Wall*E before i went and saw the movie. i saw the big cardboard figure at the theater one day and the first thing that came to mind was Johnny 5 and knew i'd have to see the movie right then.

Actually i'm glad i wasn't deluged with marketing for Wall*E. It seemed like we had to endure 18 months of trailers and media blitz prior to Ratatouille.

RooJay
07-10-2008, 09:41 AM
You don't even need to market it, it'll be big just on past movies. i hadn't seen a single trailer for Wall*E before i went and saw the movie. i saw the big cardboard figure at the theater one day and the first thing that came to mind was Johnny 5 and knew i'd have to see the movie right then.

Oh good lord,no! You went to see Wall-E based on his resemblance to the robot from Short Circuit?! Everyone else is trying to convince these folks to give the movie a chance, and you're ruining it!lol

Kidding - I love Johnny 5 too!

Actually i'm glad i wasn't deluged with marketing for Wall*E. It seemed like we had to endure 18 months of trailers and media blitz prior to Ratatouille.

Perhaps the folks in marketing felt a movie about rats cooking French Haute Cuisine could be a bit of a tough sell?

Jargo
07-10-2008, 10:23 AM
I think there's merits in all the movie house's products in the CGI animation realm. True not all of them are great finished products. Hoodwinked springs to mind. A great script ruined by shoddy designwork and half baked animation. but at least people are attempting to make CGI animated movies. i'd hate for Pixar to be the only company doing it. Hoodwinked has fantastic sequences like Granny's extreme ski journey which would have been that much better if the character models had been given more realistic underlying muscle structures. Same with Barnyard. Same with Open Season.
but all these movies are enjoyable. The fact that Pixar sets a benchmark means people have somewhere to reach for. it encourages a healthy competitiveness. I'm behind anyone making this kind of movie forging little fantasy worlds from numbers. i think it's all worthy of encouragement and applause.

TeeEye7
07-10-2008, 10:55 AM
"Meh. Over intellectualisation. you have to suspend disbelief to watch a movie like this. open your nine year old eyes and just enjoy it for what it is. a cool little robot on an adventure". -- Jargo

As always, the Voice of Reason!:thumbsup:

Exhaust Port
07-10-2008, 11:31 AM
The system wouldn't allow this, the system is what ran the ship's navigation, not the captain.

But that same computer system wouldn't do that on its own without the exact preset conditions, and the captain didn't seem to know how to get the ship to go ANYWHERE without those systems.

The Captain did turn off the autopilot and was able to fly the ship so I would expect that he would have some control over the ship.

The thing about the plant was that once Eve scanned it there was a lot of things that happened automatically as a result. The Axiom was able to dispatch a ship all the way back to Earth just to drop off and pick up Eve after she found plant life. Then she was processed back on the Axiom as the robot that found plant life with her fancy pulsing green light. So with all of these criteria met just to get to this point the ship then required the physical plant to be dropped in a tube ceremoniously on display in the main hall? So why the big shift from everything happening automatically to all of a sudden we need to manually go place the plant, not in a tube next to the robot or captain but in a big tube on the other side of the ship?

I don't know, the movie went from depicting this robot driven future into this overly used race against the clock against a system that was completely unautomated like the rest of the environment. It seemed out of place.

figrin bran
07-10-2008, 11:58 AM
Oh good lord,no! You went to see Wall-E based on his resemblance to the robot from Short Circuit?! Everyone else is trying to convince these folks to give the movie a chance, and you're ruining it!lol

Kidding - I love Johnny 5 too!

Interestingly enough, I've noticed that my local Target put out about 10 copies of Short Circuit dvd's on the shelves. As if they were trying to capitalize upon Wall-e ;)

El Chuxter
07-10-2008, 01:48 PM
No, they were trying to capitalize on the forgotten greatness of one of the awesomest movies ever made.

Exhaust Port
07-10-2008, 08:17 PM
Here's the best part of Wall-E

http://www.filmdrunk.com/post.phtml?pk=2112

The short at the beginning!!

JediTricks
07-10-2008, 10:51 PM
The Captain did turn off the autopilot and was able to fly the ship so I would expect that he would have some control over the ship.He could turn a wheel and loosely steer. Space is INFINITE, it's really difficult to navigate, much less avoid things like stars, gravity wells, space debris, etc.. They're not the same thing.

The thing about the plant was that once Eve scanned it there was a lot of things that happened automatically as a result. The Axiom was able to dispatch a ship all the way back to Earth just to drop off and pick up Eve after she found plant life. Then she was processed back on the Axiom as the robot that found plant life with her fancy pulsing green light. So with all of these criteria met just to get to this point the ship then required the physical plant to be dropped in a tube ceremoniously on display in the main hall? So why the big shift from everything happening automatically to all of a sudden we need to manually go place the plant, not in a tube next to the robot or captain but in a big tube on the other side of the ship?There are probably instances of false-positives from the Eve probes, picking up dead plants, or just generally not as trustworthy when it comes to the very future of humanity: measure twice, cut once. Then the autopilot system interpreted the directive from BNL too literally and staunchly refused to allow humanity to return to Earth, the humans had given too much control over to the unfeeling machines and the machines took that control and strictly applied it to the point of going too far.

I don't know, the movie went from depicting this robot driven future into this overly used race against the clock against a system that was completely unautomated like the rest of the environment. It seemed out of place.Different systems, different controls. It's not a hive mind for them.

figrin bran
07-10-2008, 11:25 PM
Here's the best part of Wall-E

http://www.filmdrunk.com/post.phtml?pk=2112

The short at the beginning!!

I thought Lifted and even One Man Band were better.

RooJay
07-11-2008, 02:44 AM
Interestingly enough, I've noticed that my local Target put out about 10 copies of Short Circuit dvd's on the shelves. As if they were trying to capitalize upon Wall-e ;)

Little doubt, since neither of the five Targets I frequent on a regular basis stocked any copies of Short Circuit when the new special edition was released last month. Didn't even have any shelf space set aside.

plasticfetish
07-15-2008, 04:27 AM
Haven't had a chance to post this since the kid (he's 10) and I (nearly 40) got to see Wall-E on Saturday... but we thought it was great.

Really fantastic! Wonderful to look at. Almost unbelievable how realistic it was at times, but still maintained a nice stylization throughout.

We loved the story, and though I was kind of snickering at the irony of Disney (major players when it comes to cluttering the world with garbage) preaching against polluting, I do think that they deserve a pat on the back for having their heart in the right place with this one.

I'd call Wall-E an instant classic, and easily one of the best times that I've had at the movies this year.

(The Apple [edit: Thought one thing and typed another before. Durr.] sound playing when Wall-E powers up is brilliant.)

vader121
07-15-2008, 09:35 AM
I saw it last friday and enjoyed it as well.

I did think the morbidly obese humans was a bit over the top though. I can see some overweight people getting upset over that. However it does send a message.

JediTricks
07-15-2008, 09:58 PM
In 50 years, we've gone from underweight to obese. In space, with microgravity and robots doing EVERYTHING for you, do you really think it's THAT unrealistic? Sure, it was a bit cartoony, but it's not scientifically unsound, I'll bet.

Disneyland and WDW have been recycling for over 15, long before it became a fad.

RooJay
07-16-2008, 02:16 AM
We loved the story, and though I was kind of snickering at the irony of Disney (major players when it comes to cluttering the world with garbage) preaching against polluting, I do think that they deserve a pat on the back for having their heart in the right place with this one.

I hope I'm not stepping out of line by pointing out that, while I'm not overly familiar with the parent company's stance on environmental matters, there seems to be a bit of confusion here about who exactly is responsible for Wall-E.

figrin bran
07-16-2008, 02:55 AM
I hope I'm not stepping out of line by pointing out that, while I'm not overly familiar with the parent company's stance on environmental matters, there seems to be a bit of confusion here about who exactly is responsible for Wall-E.

That would be Dreamworks, correct? :p

plasticfetish
07-16-2008, 04:01 AM
Yeah, I get it... I know... but responsible or not, Disney has their name all over this. And I wasn't making a crack about anyone's environmental policies. (Not trying to get all heavy here.) I was simply thinking more along the lines of all of the millions of "mouse" related items that they've churned out over the last half century.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-16-2008, 02:25 PM
I saw it yesterday, on a old screen in an old theater; I almost fell backwards on the overly-leaning seat. I thought that was appropriate for the look of the Earth scenes in the film. Loved the opening cartoon; I tried to clap while its credits were rolling (no other takers).

As a teacher at the high school level, I'm hoping this DVD will be out in time for some classroom lessons. It seems like a "kiddie" movie, simply because it's in a cartoon style. But the messages are pretty clear, with some subtle ones (at least for teenage minds, who are sadly heading towards the hover seat screen-in-the-face characters :( ). I don't think WALL-E was preachy, but it was quite clear in its views on how the world is changing and the simple solutions "just one person" (or robot) can/should make.

So, with the other Pixar comments, it's time for a list (LISTS... :drool: ).
BEL-CAM'S TOP TEN PIXAR MOVIES:
10.Tenth Pixar movie?
9. Ratatouie
8. A Bug's Life
7. Monsters, Inc.
6. Finding Nemo
5. Toy Story
4. Cars
3. Toy Story 2
2. WALL-E
1. The Incredibles

figrin bran
07-17-2008, 03:05 AM
BCJ, While I can't be sure, I think the DVD will be out around the first week of November. The only reason I've noticed that in past years is because my birthday is on that week and I'm usually putting that summer's Pixar film on my wanted as gifts list. Sometimes I get the film, sometimes I don't.

I'm impressed that you ranked Cars so highly. 2 years ago, I would've too but nowadays I rank Nemo and the 2 Toy Story films and Wall-E above it (not in that order though) I would also rank Ratatouille above Monsters and Bug's Life (though admittedly, I never watched the latter in its entirety)

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned it yet but the Pizza Planet truck was incredibly easy to find in this film. Eve scans it for about 5 seconds and then slams the hood shut. Or was that with the refrigerator? Btw, was I the only one that thought of Crystal Skull when that fridge appeared and actually were there not 2 of them - the one where Wall-E found the plant in and then the one that Eve scanned.

The toys are selling extremely well in my local stores, incidentally. It might be tougher for me to get an Auto and the other 2 reject bots that I need.

RooJay
07-17-2008, 03:22 AM
10.Tenth Pixar movie?

Up!
...I have a feeling this one will end up ranking a bit higher than tenth on your list, though.:yes:

RooJay
07-17-2008, 03:25 AM
I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned it yet but the Pizza Planet truck was incredibly easy to find in this film. Eve scans it for about 5 seconds and then slams the hood shut. Or was that with the refrigerator? Btw, was I the only one that thought of Crystal Skull when that fridge appeared and actually were there not 2 of them - the one where Wall-E found the plant in and then the one that Eve scanned.

Did anyone happen to spot Toy Story's Rex? I'm not giving it away!

The toys are selling extremely well in my local stores, incidentally. It might be tougher for me to get an Auto and the other 2 reject bots that I need.

Word has it that you might see more hitting when the DVD arrives - seems some retailers may have been a little unprepared for the toy aisle competition a little robot could bring to a bunch of superhero movie toys, but that'd be just my guess.

Darth Jax
07-17-2008, 08:31 AM
i've yet to see Wall*e toys at WM or Target. Got my first glimpse of some at TRU yesterday, but all they had was a 4 pack multi-set with the defective bots and Wall*e grasper arms

figrin bran
07-17-2008, 11:43 AM
Did anyone happen to spot Toy Story's Rex? I'm not giving it away!

Word has it that you might see more hitting when the DVD arrives - seems some retailers may have been a little unprepared for the toy aisle competition a little robot could bring to a bunch of superhero movie toys, but that'd be just my guess.

I tried looking for Rex but did not find him. My guess would be that he's on one of Wall-E's shelf displays inside the truck? On a side note, don't we all wish we had that much space to display our toys? :D

Bel-Cam Jos
07-17-2008, 12:20 PM
BCJ, While I can't be sure, I think the DVD will be out around the first week of November.

I'm impressed that you ranked Cars so highly. 2 years ago, I would've too but nowadays I rank Nemo and the 2 Toy Story films and Wall-E above it (not in that order though) I would also rank Ratatouille above Monsters and Bug's Life (though admittedly, I never watched the latter in its entirety)

Or was that with the refrigerator? Btw, was I the only one that thought of Crystal Skull when that fridge appeared and actually were there not 2 of them - the one where Wall-E found the plant in and then the one that Eve scanned.Most of the DVDs do seem to be out in time for Christmas, so I expected that, as well.

Ratatouille is #9 because I haven't seen it yet, and I had to have a complete 10 films for the list, ergo Unnamed and Incomplete Pixar Film gets stuck at #10. :D I liked Cars for the scenery, characterization, and soundtrack.

I did wonder if a fedora would fall out, or something.

Did anyone else think the animation of the robots as the credits were rolling looked very DigDug-esque?

figrin bran
07-17-2008, 10:51 PM
Did anyone else think the animation of the robots as the credits were rolling looked very DigDug-esque?

Yes, I did think that M-O cleaning up the dirt trails was very reminiscent of Dig Dug. JT also pointed out in this thread that the other character graphics looked like 8 bit NES graphics.

El Chuxter
07-17-2008, 11:24 PM
What about Tin Toy, BCJ?

JediTricks
07-17-2008, 11:35 PM
Yes, I did think that M-O cleaning up the dirt trails was very reminiscent of Dig Dug. JT also pointed out in this thread that the other character graphics looked like 8 bit NES graphics.
The arcade version of Dig Dug ran on the Galaga hardware which was an 8-bit board as well, so it's none too surprising that they would be similar. Loved me that Dig Dug, and the little song it makes only while he's moving.

I may have already said this, but I'd rank Wall*e at or near the top with Monsters Inc and Finding Nemo.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-18-2008, 12:06 PM
Loved me that Dig Dug, and the little song it makes only while he's moving.

I may have already said this, but I'd rank Wall*e at or near the top with Monsters Inc and Finding Nemo.Why don't you marry it then? :immature: :D

I only accept such rankings in list form. :OCD: :rolleyes:

JediTricks
07-19-2008, 03:01 PM
Why don't you marry it then? :immature: :D

I only accept such rankings in list form. :OCD: :rolleyes:
Because then your mom would be disappointed. Ooh, burn!

You want a list? Fine...

Wall*e
Monsters Inc.
Finding Nemo

Toy Story
A Bug's Life
The Incredibles

Ratatouille (*not seen)
Toy Story 2 (*not seen)
Cars (*not seen)

Yeah, how you like me now, bith (band member)? Didn't know we could do that, didja punk? Non-ordered, tiered list! Suck on them apple cores!

El Chuxter
07-19-2008, 07:34 PM
JT, you're a toy collector who hasn't seen Toy Story 2? Wow. You should really watch it. It's a great movie, and those of us who refuse to grow up can appreciate part of it even more.

figrin bran
07-19-2008, 10:36 PM
Bith (bandmember) will refrain from comments until a more opportune time. :p

Bel-Cam Jos
07-19-2008, 11:24 PM
Because then your mom would be disappointed. Ooh, burn!

You want a list? Fine...

Wall*a
Monsters Ltd.
Finding Devo

Toe Story
A Pug's Wife
Los Incredibles

Rat-atat Louie (*hot scene)
Boy Story 2 (*tot scene)
Jars (*nor clean)

Yeah, now you like me how, Sith (pair members)? Didn't know he would do that, das punk? Non-murdered, tiara list! Such of them reactor cores!Yes. You have defeated me. I submit to your superior powers. I shall now list the appropriate similes...

:yes:
:rolleyes:
:lipsrsealed:
:D

Oh, and I liked WALL-E.

JediTricks
07-20-2008, 04:28 AM
JT, you're a toy collector who hasn't seen Toy Story 2? Wow. You should really watch it. It's a great movie, and those of us who refuse to grow up can appreciate part of it even more.Well, since I didn't really love Toy Story, I saw no reason to dedicate any time to a sequel. I thought it was ok, had some good parts, but far too syrupy.

BTW, nice edit job on the quote there Bel-Cam... for me to poop on!

RooJay
07-22-2008, 03:10 AM
You know...a lot of people feel that Toy Story 2 is the better flick. Might be worth the time to take a look.

figrin bran
07-22-2008, 03:25 AM
You know...a lot of people feel that Toy Story 2 is the better flick. Might be worth the time to take a look.

Bith bandmember would be one of those people.

I'm up to 3 viewings of Wall-E now btw and I still can't find Rex. I did see a stack of orange traffic cones which I deem a TS2 easter egg.

RooJay
07-22-2008, 03:57 AM
Bith bandmember would be one of those people.

I'm up to 3 viewings of Wall-E now btw and I still can't find Rex. I did see a stack of orange traffic cones which I deem a TS2 easter egg.

He shows up in a key scene, but that's all you get from me.

figrin bran
07-22-2008, 11:36 AM
He shows up in a key scene, but that's all you get from me.

I assume that he's on the shelves of Wall-E's truck and so on my last viewing, I purposely did not look at W-E or Eve so I could scan the background.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-22-2008, 12:19 PM
I don't think I noticed any Pixar nods in my one viewing, but I did recall my favorite scene: when WALL-E finds the spork and doesn't know which pile to put it. Is it a spoon? A fork? So it gets its own place of honor in between them! :thumbsup:

I love sporks. Wrote a poem about them once. :yes: :spork:

RooJay
07-23-2008, 03:43 AM
Everyone loves the spork gag!:thumbsup:

El Chuxter
07-28-2008, 04:28 PM
Still haven't seen Wall-E, but the preview for Up! looked fantastic. I'm too lazy to look back--did you work on that one, too, RJ? (Or, more accurately, are you working on that one?)

RooJay
07-29-2008, 03:37 AM
The cool thing about not working in production is that I get to work on all of 'em!

Jargo
07-30-2008, 06:44 PM
Hello slow person here. I have a question regarding the three inch tall toys.

Have L-T, GEL-A, COM-T, BURN-E, or BRL-A been turned into figures yet?

I'd quite like a WALL-A too. And any other bots that were floating around. A john and Mary pack to go with captain and an escape pod that self destructs. wel, bows apart in the way only plastic action figure vehicles can do. ooh and a reject bot ward with articulated robot arms and stuff.

still not see the movie at the cinema just a cruddy download with zero quality and bad sound. enough to whet my whistle even more and get me even more stoked to see this on the big screen

kids love the toys so much retailers can't supply to meet demand.

if thes reads funny I've had astrong sleepy tab cox my herb supplier man let me down and i bneed to slleeep. gonig now. :)

Darth Jax
07-30-2008, 07:37 PM
if thes reads funny I've had astrong sleepy tab cox my herb supplier man let me down and i bneed to slleeep. gonig now. :)

AWESOME... everyone home needs one

RooJay
07-31-2008, 03:03 AM

I'd quite like a WALL-A too. And any other bots that were floating around. A john and Mary pack to go with captain and an escape pod that self destructs. wel, bows apart in the way only plastic action figure vehicles can do. ooh and a reject bot ward with articulated robot arms and stuff.

still not see the movie at the cinema just a cruddy download with zero quality and bad sound. enough to whet my whistle even more and get me even more stoked to see this on the big screen

So far there's only Wall-E, Factory New Wall-E, Eve, M-O, Massage-Bot, Painter-Bot, Beautician-Bot, Auto-Pilot, Gopher, Defibrillator-Bot, and Vacuum Cleaner-Bot. Maybe the DVD release might net us some more, but I won't guarantee that.

Jargo
07-31-2008, 08:18 AM
thank you. I'm going out on a hunt today. bag me some bots.

shame those other bots aren't around. could get another box set of four and a single carded release for BURN-E if he's gonna be starring in the short on the DVD.

figrin bran
07-31-2008, 11:41 AM

I'd love all of those toys as well along with a diecast Axiom, Eve's transport, Wall-E's truck, the BnL monorail.

Jargo
07-31-2008, 02:43 PM
pathetic. i managed to grab the two movie scene mini vinyls packs I didn't have and saw a few rough looking 3 inch wall-e figures but nothing else. and all most places had were tiny end cap displays set aside. all the good space was taken by some turd thing called star warts clown wars. just not good.
so it looks like i shall have to go online and go the expensive route to get me some wall-e goodies.

star warts - like that'll ever take off. pah!

figrin bran
08-01-2008, 12:15 PM
I'd love all of those toys as well along with a diecast Axiom, Eve's transport, Wall-E's truck, the BnL monorail.

Looks like I forgot about Eve with the red repair wire. She has that for about a good third of the film so we need this particular variant. Eve in stasis mode would be nice as well.

Jargo
08-05-2008, 06:00 AM
managed to find all the 3" bots apart from EVE, vacuum bot and autopilot. also got the two movie scene packs I was missing. haven't seen the BnL vehicle yet though.

figrin bran
08-06-2008, 03:19 AM
Jargo, so you've found the Defibrillator bot as well?

I'm up to my fourth viewing of this film btw and finally found Rex! You'll see him right after Wall-E pulls the lever to enter his truck.

Jargo
08-06-2008, 07:05 AM
Yup got the defib bot in a disney store. Only just spotted him though.

Got the transforming Wall-e yesterday. Bought for me. I was only going to stick with the mini vinyls and the 3" figures but well, never look a gift horse in the mouth eh?

I found Rex too. wasn't really looking for him and was just trying to see what was on the racks in the truck, then there he was. tucked in the back. cool!

Oooh, and is there a site anywhere that has a listing of all the bots in the movie? I found four more named on a website today. Earth class:
NANC-E a nanny bot.
GAR-E a garden maintainance bot.
WEND-E a laundry bot.
SALL-E a vacuum cleaner bot.

which movie tie in book will have the best reference to the bots in it? I don't care about the humans I just want the bots. info, data, pictures and names. can't get enough of them. especially the repair ward crowd.

Neeeeeed input Stephanie......

RooJay
08-07-2008, 03:10 AM
Jargo, so you've found the Defibrillator bot as well?

I'm up to my fourth viewing of this film btw and finally found Rex! You'll see him right after Wall-E pulls the lever to enter his truck.

That's one of them - now find the other!

Oooh, and is there a site anywhere that has a listing of all the bots in the movie? I found four more named on a website today. Earth class:
NANC-E a nanny bot.
GAR-E a garden maintainance bot.
WEND-E a laundry bot.
SALL-E a vacuum cleaner bot.

which movie tie in book will have the best reference to the bots in it? I don't care about the humans I just want the bots. info, data, pictures and names. can't get enough of them. especially the repair ward crowd.

Neeeeeed input Stephanie......

I'll have to look into the book thing - I know it exists, but I can't remember what the title was.

Also, there was a Buy N Large viral website promoting Wall-E before the release that had a lot of the different, but I can't seem to find the link or recall the web address. I'll see if I can find it.

Jargo
08-07-2008, 07:54 AM
Jim Hill did a pixar homage reference guide thingy pointing out that wall-e was in Ratatouille and so on. all the places the yellow and blue ball turns up. even the shape of the mouse's head in wall-e.

oh and thanks Rudy. :) i just found pics of a whole load more bots from the repair ward. think i found another 12 bots so far.
I watched an online clip of Wall-e navigating the robot fast lanes in pursuit of EVE and suddenly thought jeepers - how many bots were created! there seems to be hundreds of them. and dammit i want them all. i don't know why these particular robots have grabbed my attention but they have. i just love the whole design slant. my least favourites are EVE and PR-T the beautician bot. PR-T seems out of place and outdated among the other bots and EVE seems too advanced. there don't sem to be any other bots that follow a similar design curve to either of them. all the other bots are spot on though. for me, they seem to fulfill the form of the robots Issac Asimov wrote about all those years ago. they just seem so satisfyingly familiar. as though those shapes and characteristics have always been there. Wall-e is at odds with the designs but he's grounded in the fat that there are other waste bots like Wall-a so the form and function seems out of place against the regular bots but Wall-e really is a fish out of water and his design emphasises that.
PR-T has a design that harks back to 1950's beauty parlours but doesn't fit the smooth and ergonomic fel of the Axiom environment. had it been a white bot with racing stripes like most of the other bots it would have worked for me. PR-T just seems too clunky and breakable.
EVE. seems like alien technology. she's more advanced than the axiom itself it seems. I find it hard to imagine BnL coming up with the design of EVE. had there been different bots with a similar design ethos. smooth and seamless, i might have not noticed how odd she is. almost impervious to harm and equipped with a highly advanced weapons system. it's a bit like overkill for a vegetation detection probe. even the Axiom security bots don't have weapons so why does EVE? I don't like that. and the whole thing about blasting those ships and anything she doesn't like the look of. way too dangerous. I'd be more scared of EVE than i would be of Auto.

figrin bran
08-11-2008, 11:34 AM
I found and bought the lone deluxe Wall-E with fire extinguisher, "space adventure Wall-E" was what they called it on the card, at my local TRU on Saturday. They had an interesting packout with 1 Wall-E with fire extinguisher, 1 MO, 1 U Repair Wall-E and at least 5 of the Cube Stack Wall-E's.

Jargo
08-11-2008, 03:57 PM
I've still not found the vacuum bot. :( think i'll give it a while til the kids have forgotten all about wall-e. and possibly the stores restock for the holidays season in the fall.

figrin bran
08-13-2008, 01:17 AM
Amazon.com delivered my "Art of Wall-E" book today. Jargo, you would love it as it is chock full of concept drawings and storyboards.

RUSHBOY
10-29-2008, 11:04 PM
I was a TRU today and they had the new Ultimate Wall-E for 249.99 !
I almost bought him but I don't have that kinda money right now !
I'm sorry R2D2 but Wall-E is now my favorite robot of all time !
You can press his button and his eyes light up and he says Wallllllll-E, you should have seen the look on my face when he said that !!!
:thumbsup:

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-29-2008, 11:23 PM
I totally forgot to post: I saw this flick back in late august and loved every minute of it. It was gorgeously animated, pretty topical and had a great love/friendship story. It's a definite purchase/Christmas list item. :thumbsup:

figrin bran
10-30-2008, 11:50 PM
For those collecting the toys, KBToys.com has the Vacuum bot and Defibrillator bot in stock right now for $5.99 each. Now I just need Auto to complete the basic figure collection.

Jargo
10-31-2008, 07:30 AM
i might see about getting the 'art of' book for christmas. right now money is quite tight. most of my disposable income is going on lego or stuff for the house or saving up to replace my computer with one that's powerful enough to take me through the next few years worth of usage demands.

JediTricks
11-03-2008, 05:29 PM
$250? I have to see this in person!

figrin bran
11-19-2008, 12:57 AM
I got the 3 disc version from Best Buy today and got a free Wall-E rubik's cube.

Jargo
11-19-2008, 09:13 AM
now do i get the play.com exclusive 2 disk set with the activity pack or wait for the collectors edition? decisions decisions...

saw the trailer for Up. "pleeeease can I come inside?" "No!" hehe. excellent.

sith_killer_99
11-19-2008, 09:30 AM
I bought the 3 disc special edition last night.

My daughter was waiting when I got home.

"Did you get Wall-e DVD?" she asked.

"Wall-e?!?!? Does that come out on DVD today?" I asked.

"Yeah, today is the 18th of November, see."

Then she took me over to the calendar and showed me today (yesterday) was the 18th.

I have to admit I messed with her just a little bit. I took it out of the bag then handed her the bag so she could look inside.

"You only got soda?":(

Then I pulled the DVD out from behind my back and she hit the roof. She would have been heart broken if I hadn't bought the thing for her.

Needless to say she popped it into her DVD player right away. We even let her eat dinner in her room so she could finish watching it.:D

Jargo
11-19-2008, 10:56 AM
that's cool. with my dad it would have been:

"Did you get the Wall-e DVD?"

"Wall-e?!?!? What the hell is that?"

"It's the movie I've been going on about for months with the little robots and....."

"No."

"You're fired."

figrin bran
11-19-2008, 11:56 AM
now do i get the play.com exclusive 2 disk set with the activity pack or wait for the collectors edition? decisions decisions...

saw the trailer for Up. "pleeeease can I come inside?" "No!" hehe. excellent.

If you have some sort of mp3/video player, I'd recommend the 3 disc collector's edition as the 3rd disc is essentially a digital copy that you could rip onto your computer and then onto your player.

In terms of Wall-E toys, I found/bought the deluxe Captain w. hoverchair at the Disney Store last Saturday. Now if only I could find the basic Auto figure!

El Chuxter
11-19-2008, 05:38 PM
Okay, explain the logic to me.

For Disney movies, I always get the special edition, if available. I like extra features for cartoons. Particularly Pixar ones.

So, Wall-E is a movie about Earth after we totally trashed it, and is in what appears to be more or less eco-friendly packaging. Disc 1 is a movie. Disc 2 is bonus features.

Disc 3 is nothing but the copy for my phone or iPod, so it will never be used. Especially since it has to be activated within something like a year. If I change my mind about wanting to see movies on a 2-inch screen, such severe dain bramage is unlikely to occur over less than a twelve-month period.

Why, given how ecologically unfriendly discs are to produce, did Disney not offer the choice of a 2-disc version for people like me, who actually like being able to see the movie?

figrin bran
11-19-2008, 10:46 PM
You could always offer the digital copy disc for sale :p

Plus given that you just presumably misspelled "brain" as "dain", it may be too late to worry about the onset of severe damage! lol

Rocketboy
11-19-2008, 11:18 PM

Disc 3 is nothing but the copy for my phone or iPod, so it will never be used. Especially since it has to be activated within something like a year. If I change my mind about wanting to see movies on a 2-inch screen, such severe dain bramage is unlikely to occur over less than a twelve-month period.

Why, given how ecologically unfriendly discs are to produce, did Disney not offer the choice of a 2-disc version for people like me, who actually like being able to see the movie?So they can charge you that much more for it.

And that eco-friendly package p*sses me off. I'd be even more p*ssed if I had kids. That package won't last more than a few weeks in many households.

Time to crack open the old photoshop, make a proper cover and waste several sheets of paper getting it right.

JediTricks
11-21-2008, 05:39 AM
I ordered the blu-ray 3-disc off Amazon, and my mom bought the DVD 1-disc from Fry's on Tuesday.

If you have some sort of mp3/video player, I'd recommend the 3 disc collector's edition as the 3rd disc is essentially a digital copy that you could rip onto your computer and then onto your player. Supposedly it only works on PC and ipod, only systems with super-DRM, which is lame. I ended up buying it only because it was the same price as the 2-disc on Amazon.

For Disney movies, I always get the special edition, if available. I like extra features for cartoons. Particularly Pixar ones.

So, Wall-E is a movie about Earth after we totally trashed it, and is in what appears to be more or less eco-friendly packaging. Disc 1 is a movie. Disc 2 is bonus features.

Why, given how ecologically unfriendly discs are to produce, did Disney not offer the choice of a 2-disc version for people like me, who actually like being able to see the movie?They did on blu-ray, it's $8 less usually. I had both blu-ray 2-disc and 3-disc in my hands, was so confused by that pain in the *** to figure out that I put them both back and ordered online - bad marketing call IMO. Maybe I'll use that 3rd disc to test blu-ray's supposed improved scratchproofing. :p I did have the same ecology thought you mentioned though, and since disc 3 isn't even HD but just standard def, they could have EASILY found room on the second disc for it and just didn't to get a few extra bucks out of confused consumers.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-24-2008, 08:56 PM
We got the single-disc edition; my Mom bought it at the grocery store and it was the only one they had (no big loss, though). We watched it and it was still as awesome as ever. The behind-the-scenes thing with Ben Burtt was fascinating, too.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-25-2008, 08:20 PM
I went through the scene selections to decide which parts I'll play in my classroom to serve as teaching moments (not so much for the environmental issues, but the willingness to relinquish one's will to a machine that leads to sloth and apathy [read: cell phones, IMs, texting]). Cell phones = foreign contaminant (my favorite lines from the film were the cleaning robot :D ).

RooJay
11-26-2008, 06:58 AM
Just thought I'd share a few pics I thought folks in this thread might enjoy. These are of one of the winning costumes from this year's Halloween costume contest (she probably should have won top prize, but she does this every year and after a while I guess it started to seem a little unfair to the other participants...)

Rocketboy
11-26-2008, 07:29 AM
Damn, that is AWESOME!

JediTricks
11-30-2008, 06:09 AM
Geez, that would be unfair! That's not a costume, that's a replica!

DarthQuack
12-02-2008, 08:33 PM
Any chance this can get an Oscar nomination for Best Picture?

Rocketboy
12-02-2008, 10:49 PM
Even though it deserves one and they're pushing for it, I doubt it.
The academy will more than likely say "That's what the Best Animated Feature category is for."

figrin bran
12-02-2008, 11:04 PM
I didn't see it until now but that Alec Kazaam costume is awesome! Whoever made that could probably moonlight at Sideshow Collectibles! :thumbsup:

RooJay
12-03-2008, 02:28 AM
You should see the others! Over the past several years she's done Remy, Wheezy, Emperor Zurg, the lamb from Boundin', the tin soldier from Tin Toy, Boo in her monster costume from Monster's Inc., and Totoro!

Bel-Cam Jos
12-03-2008, 07:50 PM
You should see the others! Over the past several years she's done ...With all that skill, Pixar should hire her!

[taps shoulder]

What?

[whisper, whisper]

Oh. Sorry. :D

figrin bran
12-05-2008, 01:42 AM
I scored a free Wall-E "for your consideration" promo booklet with my LA Times this morning!

JediTricks
12-05-2008, 05:39 AM
IMO, 2008 is going to be the year the academy is most challenged. You've got films like Wall-e, The Dark Knight, even Iron Man all with major Oscar-worthy work in them (Iron Man not best picture material perhaps, but acting, editing, screenplay, technical nods). And yet you've also got a slew of "for your consideration" serious flicks coming out now too.

Darth Jax
12-05-2008, 07:48 AM
while wall-e and dark knight are awesome flicks. i'd would be amazed if either were actually nominated. wall-e has the knock of being animated going against it and batman has the inflated "importance" of it from heath's performance now that he's dead. while both will probably be nominated for multiple awards, i don't see a chance that they get a nod for best flick.

JediTricks
12-05-2008, 03:30 PM
Beauty and the Beast was nominated back in the day. But that film showcased acting of the voice actors, while Wall-e doesn't, and I suspect that will hurt its chances more than anything.

If Heath hadn't died, I'm quite sure his performance would have grabbed a Supporting Actor nomination, it really is that good.

Darth Jax
12-05-2008, 06:51 PM
Heath will probably still get a best actor nod (although i don't think he'll win), but i don't see the academy feeling the dark knight has what it takes to be given the best movie award. it was definitely one of the best movies i saw this year.

while wall-e espouses a green/environmental message. the characters don't have nearly the depth of beauty and the beast and the storyline isn't as epic either.

JediTricks
12-08-2008, 07:35 PM
I think you're selling Wall-E short, and Beauty and the Beast is a bit overrated a story, IMO. And as for epic, let's see, "save the human race from what it has become" vs "a couple lives happily ever after in a castle"?

Bel-Cam Jos
01-19-2009, 12:04 PM
BTW, I did show the scene (where WALL-E and Eve first come on board the Axiom, up until the Captain gives Morning announcements) to my students. Most got the point, some didn't. Just like in the real world...

pbarnard
01-19-2009, 12:48 PM
I think you're selling Wall-E short, and Beauty and the Beast is a bit overrated a story, IMO. And as for epic, let's see, "save the human race from what it has become" vs "a couple lives happily ever after in a castle"?

Plus don't over look the subplots. Wall-E is more than his programing, so he's not pre-determined to a meaningless existence. Also, he inadvertently starts a robot rebellion with the "broken" machines escaping and expressing their indviduality and not doing what they're programmed to. He also gets Eve to overcome her programming as well.

I think this the kinder and gentler 2001. Same visuals, similar themes, but very different executions (killer vs unaware gentleness).

RooJay
04-29-2009, 04:17 AM
I didn't want to say it at first, but I think I've finally decided that Up is my new favorite. I even feel comfortable saying that I believe it's Pixar's new best...

DarthQuack
04-29-2009, 08:42 AM
Really?? Better than Wall-E or anything else that Pixar has put out?

Darth Jax
04-29-2009, 09:41 AM
will that be the new pixar tagline "it's better than the last one we did"

RooJay
04-29-2009, 10:00 AM
Really?? Better than Wall-E or anything else that Pixar has put out?

I didn't want to admit it to myself at first, but yeah...better even than Wall-E. Most of the co-workers I've talked to seem to pretty easily agree with me as well. Again, keep in mind that while - yes, they do pay me - they don't pay me to advertise. I say this solely as a fan of Pixar films.

Bel-Cam Jos
04-29-2009, 12:13 PM
See, now what (limited) I've seen before it comes out, I'd put it towards the bottom. We'll see.

RooJay
04-29-2009, 08:52 PM
Trust me.:thumbsup:

figrin bran
04-29-2009, 10:56 PM
No! Even if Up is better, I'm going to find nitpicky fanboy reasons why Wall-e is better.

El Chuxter
04-30-2009, 10:18 AM
The Comic-Con preview was quite good, and (with the exception of Cars), Pixar tends to consistently top itself, so I can believe it.

(Nothing against Cars; it just wasn't better than The Incredibles.)

DarthQuack
04-30-2009, 01:08 PM
(Nothing against Cars; it just wasn't better than The Incredibles.)

Sorry....can't agree with that statement :P Cars was awesome, I can watch that whenever I'm feeling down and it cheers me right up. I think I've only watched The Incredibles once, maybe twice.

Bel-Cam Jos
04-30-2009, 08:38 PM
Isn't this the 10th Pixar film? Can't wait until I can make a REAL Top Ten list... :pleased:

RooJay
05-01-2009, 03:20 AM
I can:

1- Up
2- Wall-E
3- Ratatouille
4- The Incredibles
5- Finding Nemo
6- Toy Story
7- CarsMonsters, Inc.
8- Toy Story 2
9- Monsters, Inc.
10- A Bug's Life

Rocketboy
05-01-2009, 10:53 AM
I'm looking forward to Up! Looks like it could be a lot of fun.

The only Pixar flicks I can watch over and over are WALL-E, The Incredibles & the Toy Story flicks. Top notch films. They never get old.

Finding Nemo & Monsters Inc were good, but nothing I've ever wanted to see again.

A Bug's Life was pretty bad (but still better than most animated movies)

Haven't seen Ratatouille or Cars and really don't care if I ever do.
I may see Ratatouille some day, but it isn't on my must-watch list. It just didn't grab my attention.
And I highly doubt I'll ever watch Cars. First of all it has to do with the most boring thing on Earth: Race cars. I was initially willing to give it a chance but once I saw Larry The One Note Hack in it, I was turned 100% off. I have seen a few minutes of it and wasn't too impressed. But I will say kids seem to LOVE that movie. It came out in what '05(?) and the Cars merchandise is still everywhere.

DarthQuack
05-01-2009, 11:07 AM
You should just give it a try, you'll be impressed I think. There really isn't that much racing in it to be honest, its more just about characters connecting.

El Chuxter
05-01-2009, 11:07 AM
Here's my nine, sans Up:

1) Wall-E
2) The Incredibles
3) Toy Story 2
4) Ratatouille
5) Monsters Inc
6) Toy Story
7) Finding Nemo (though visually probably the most impressive)
8) Cars
9) A Bug's Life

Interesting that everyone seems to put A Bug's Life at the bottom, but still say it's better than 99% of non-Pixar animated films.

DarthQuack
05-01-2009, 11:42 AM
1. Wall-E
2. Finding Nemo
3. Toy Story
4. Cars
5. Toy Story 2
6. Monsters Inc.
7. A Bug's Life
8. Ratatouille
9. The Incredibles

Bel-Cam Jos
05-01-2009, 09:06 PM
So, I will let RooJay control my opinions and the 1-10 instead of my 10-1 ranking system, ;) and therefore...

BELROOJAY-CAM'S TOP TEN PIXAR FILMS:
1. Up :rolleyes:
327. Wall-E
328. The Incredibles
329. Cars
330. Toy Story 2
331. Finding Nemo
332. Toy Story
333. Monsters Inc.
334. A Bug's Life
335. Ratatouille (only 'cause I ain't seen it yet)

figrin bran
05-01-2009, 11:54 PM
Just to be different, I'm only doing a top 3

1. Wall-E
2. Toy Story 2
3. Toy Story

JediTricks
05-16-2009, 08:36 PM
I am glad to hear positive things about Up. I've been digging the little we've seen over the last year, some really note-perfect gags and Ed Asner is a friggin' treasure for voiceover, but there's been so little buzz in the public eye on this one, people don't really get what's going on. However, the Cannes buzz this week has been exceptionally positive to it, so that should help.

figrin bran
05-17-2009, 12:16 AM
I read through the children's storybook today and from what I could glean, Up looks to be packed with great emotional depth.

It just might crack my top 5.

I just happened to be around Hollywood this afternoon where they were having a premiere. Took a few photos too. Unfortunately, the attachment uploader isn't working right now so I'll try again another time.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-17-2009, 09:28 AM
Is it time to create some movie title-related puns for the reviewers?

For those who loved it for kids and families:
"Looking for a great summer flick for the whole family? Make Up yours!"

For those who just didn't understand the plot:
"I just don't get it, Up."

For those who saw it twice, and then left:
"Up, Up, and away."

For those who saw it with Paula Abdul:
Tell me; straight Up."

For those who need something to clean all the snot from laughing so hard:
"After seeing Up, your nose with a rubber hose will be helpful."

For those who can't stand these comments any more:
"Just shut Up!"

RooJay
05-19-2009, 01:53 AM
It does seem, even to me, like it could be a bit more of a hard sell than anything else we've done. Any time someone asks me what it's about I have to tell them "It's about an old man who decides to go on an adventure after his wife dies. Oh, and he takes a young scout friend with him!" I'll admit that it doesn't sound terribly exciting when put that way, but I assure you there is so much more, and the story is so much more rich than that. marketing may have their work cut out for them, but I'm certain word of mouth will carry the movie to the success and exposure it deserves.
I'm even confident saying that it's definitely Pixar's funniest movie to date!

Bel-Cam Jos
05-20-2009, 11:37 PM
It does seem, even to me, like it could be a bit more of a hard sell than anything else we've done. ... I'll admit that it doesn't sound terribly exciting when put that way, but I assure you there is so much more, and the story is so much more rich than that. marketing may have their work cut out for them, but I'm certain word of mouth will carry the movie to the success and exposure it deserves.
I'm even confident saying that it's definitely Pixar's funniest movie to date!With some of the extended trailers and commercials I've seen lately, your glowing comments, RooJay, make me believe you more and more. I'm pretty sure I'll see it in the theaters, but I'm still hesitant to knock Wall-E off its perch as Numero Uno Pixar Pelicula.

RooJay
05-21-2009, 02:34 AM
Here's a nice little interview with one of my co-workers that you folks might enjoy reading:thumbsup::

http://www.ultimatedisney.com/johnratzenberger-interview-176.html

Bel-Cam Jos
05-23-2009, 10:02 AM
I just realized something; is there a separate thread for Up? Does there need to be?

Rocketboy
05-23-2009, 03:38 PM
Why not retitle this thread a Pixar thread?

TeeEye7
05-23-2009, 07:24 PM
Here's a nice little interview with one of my co-workers that you folks might enjoy reading:thumbsup::

Very cool. I especially like the quote about Pixar not throwing out a product just to get something out there. Their devotion to quality is unbelievable. Pixar's attention to detail is legendary IMO. I can't see how they manage to top themselves, but the do. I'm really looking forward to Up!

Ji'dai
05-30-2009, 08:09 PM
STARZ is premiering WALL-E tonight. I've got the DVR scheduled to record it in all it's HD glory!