PDA

View Full Version : Do You Hate OR Love the EP2s Title???

GNT
08-16-2001, 01:43 AM
Do you love it to death or do you hate it andthat it should be changed?

Thoughts?

Darth Cruel
08-16-2001, 02:07 AM
Hate it. Change it. "Nuff said!

Rollo Tomassi
08-16-2001, 02:17 AM
It's really growing on me!

Boba Rhett
08-16-2001, 02:42 AM
It's hate turning slowly into love.

JediTricks
08-16-2001, 03:36 AM
I really dislike the title!

Rollo Tomassi
08-16-2001, 03:47 AM
JT, has your opinion on the title modified in the past week and a half at all? Do you think it can grow on you in the 9 months leading up to the film's release?

GNT
08-16-2001, 03:58 AM
I dig it know,when I first heard it it kinda sucked but now that it has grown on me I find it kind of cool!

TheJedi
08-16-2001, 04:45 AM
The title is fine with me. He had to pick something, and at least no one else thought of it first. It could be better, but it could be worse.

JediTricks
08-16-2001, 04:57 AM
Originally posted by Rollo Tomassi
JT, has your opinion on the title modified in the past week and a half at all? Do you think it can grow on you in the 9 months leading up to the film's release?

In my head, I tried to see the perspective that it's pretty good, I really worked on that, but ultimately, I didn't find that perspective because I guess it was too alien to me. The impact of it has lessened since it's no longer a big new surprise, but I dislike now as much as I ever have.

GNT
08-16-2001, 05:26 AM
It'll grow on you JT and besides its the movie you pay to see and not the title unless its a Star Wars movie ;)

12inch Lando
08-16-2001, 08:27 AM
I really don't care much for the title but my utter disgust is turning into appathy.

JediTricks
08-16-2001, 10:31 AM
I really doubt this title will grow on me, like when I saw Ep 1, I told the box office people "two for Star Wars" or "two for Episode 1".

I don't get the second sentence though GNT. I know the title is just the title and not the movie, but as I'm judging JUST the title, here's what I have to say about the title
feh

JEDIpartner
08-16-2001, 11:45 AM
I don't hate it that much anymore, but my comment is:

BAHHHHH! (to go with the last "Feh!")

the master jedi
08-16-2001, 03:43 PM
I absolutely hate the title but I like star wars for the story and not the names of the movies.

jedi master sal
08-16-2001, 04:22 PM
I heard that the working title was

Tyranny Reborn

I would have loved this title over Attack of the clones

sounds to much like

"ATTACK OF THE KILLER TOMATOES"

think of the theme song!!! nuf said!

BenQuad
08-16-2001, 07:21 PM
Hated it then loathed it a lot.... a week later I really couldn't care less.

It's only a title... I'm sure we'll all get used to it. (eventually)

It could have been a lot worse.

evenflow
08-16-2001, 07:23 PM
It has gone from Hate, to utter dislike.

GNT
08-17-2001, 02:52 AM
wow I guess you really hate it then JT :)

JediTricks
08-18-2001, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by GNT
wow I guess you really hate it then JT :) Ya think? ;)

2-1B
08-18-2001, 05:33 PM
I don't love it, but I do think it's kinda cool. I actually do not feel passionate either way about any of the SW film titles.

GNT
08-19-2001, 02:17 AM
You'll like it one day JT,I betcha!

The 'Xir
08-20-2001, 10:26 PM
I like the title! It keeps in line with the heritage and the backstory that was touched on in 'A New Hope', and just like the officail site states; It shows GL paying homage to all those B-movie serial sci-fi and horro flicks of the 50's that he grew up watching! I didn't anticipate it, but I totally expect a title like this from gyd'ole Georgie boy! Either him or Ed Wood! ;) I think he's growing nostalgic in his older age! However, I will have to say upon seeing the title for the first time, a sense of dread washed over me, not because of the title, but I knew about 90% of the members on here would say they hate it! :rolleyes: and I dread having to defend something !Star Wars! that shouldn't need defending! O.K. before I get all huffy, I'll stop now...thank you! ;)

bigbarada
08-20-2001, 10:50 PM
I had the same reaction 'Xir. Once I saw the title, my initial reaction was "cool, but I know just about every other Star Wars fan will hate it!"

I liked it then, and I like it now. And I'm getting used to being in the minority here in these forums. As for the hokey factor, we need someone to come in and slap Hollywood across the face every once in a while. It keeps all these movie writers from taking themselves too seriously.

GNT
08-21-2001, 03:41 AM
I dig it alot now, its a little corny but hey its Star Wars and probably the best Star Wars movie yet (if you've read the scripts)

So I love it and probably the only one that does!

JediTricks
08-21-2001, 04:46 AM
Hokey is "Curse of the Fiendish Sith", I think AOTC goes beyond that. If it was merely hokey, I wouldn't mind too much, but AOTC as a title is more than just hokey, it's a societal joke, something folks say to be coy, "attack of the Walmart checkout clerks" and such, that's what bugs me.

El Chuxter
08-21-2001, 02:09 PM
Ya know, for all my well-known hatred for this title a few weeks ago, I'm starting to like it.

No joke, staring at this image I made from a fan logo on theforce.net (which I set as my wallpaper) hasn't hurt. :D

JediTricks
08-22-2001, 11:46 AM
Heh heh, I was gonna do
Star Wars
Episode II
Send in the Clonesbut got distracted by trying to find a pic of Amidala with her makeup so I could add a little clown art to it.

BenQuad
08-22-2001, 06:55 PM
Hey Chux...... most impressed with your "God of thunder" avatar.

Very cool

Obi-Don
08-25-2001, 02:12 PM
You know I was thinking about the new title and yeah I hate it! I'm sure the movie will make the title not so important.

BenQuad
08-25-2001, 02:19 PM
Actually I have never really been that keen on any of the film titles.

The Phantom Menace - well I got so used to calling it EP1, I still do.

A New Hope - Very weak (IMO)

The Empire Strikes Back - Subtle as a brick

Return of the Jedi - Ok I suppose, but much preferred "Revenge"

.........maybe we'll get "Revenge of the Clones" for EP 3. :)

Jargo
08-26-2001, 08:17 PM
I still don't like it as an aesthetic but i'm not that bothered by it anymore. I rarely use the titles anyway when talking about them. It's easier to use the acronyms. I feel sure there's going to be some hokey stuff in the movie as well as the hokey title because Lucas seems more sentimental as he gets older. We'll probably get more death scenes like the achingly pointless homocentric Qui-Gon death scene. UGH! :mad: On the other hand, I can't wait to see the new environments and aliens and vehicles in action. That's what gets me excited, all the hints and glimpses of the new designs we've been getting. How long have we got to wait.... dang!

UncannyBastard
09-05-2001, 09:53 AM
Attack of the Clones... ::disgusted sigh::

The Phantom Menace
A New Hope
The Empire Strikes Back
Return of the Jedi

They have a distinct quality and sound all their own... But the title "Attack of the Clones" reminds me of old, bad B-Movies... I mean for Christ's sake! I think I'd feel like I was sittin' in a drive in theater circa 1950ish watching a bunch of beach-going teens scream in terror at the creature that's crawled ashore or something very similar. So please, someone tell George to change the friggin' title!

"Ergh..." (To go with the "Feh" and "Bah"!)

JEDIpartner
09-05-2001, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by JEDIpartnr on August 16, 2001
I don't hate it that much anymore, but my comment is:

BAHHHHH! (to go with the last "Feh!")

I kinda like it now.

GNT
09-08-2001, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by JEDIpartnr
I kinda like it now.

It has grown on you as it will for Jeditricks :)

In time...

JediTricks
09-09-2001, 10:53 AM
You better watch that crap, I don't like being told how to think and I'm getting mighty sick of you trying to do that. :rolleyes:

ki-adi mundi's bro
09-12-2001, 06:19 PM
just plain weird...it is catching on to me some....

bigbarada
09-13-2001, 10:51 PM
I liked it from the beginning, but now I don't even think about it. It's become inseparable from Ep2. In fact it even feels wierd to type Ep2 instead of AOTC. If George changes it, I'm really going to be screwed up!

GNT
09-14-2001, 03:37 AM
Originally posted by bigbarada
In fact it even feels wierd to type Ep2 instead of AOTC.

I don't type even type AOTC when im talkig about the movie, I always say EP2 because it easier to type :)

You better watch that crap, I don't like being told how to think and I'm getting mighty sick of you trying to do that. :rolleyes:

You must like the title! :) The title needs you JT,you need it so that we can live in peace :) Forever shall it remain!

Eternal Padawan
09-14-2001, 11:34 AM
My initial reaction was "I shouldn't like this, but I do." It's a fine title, and I too am reffering to the film as AOTC rather than EP2 becasue it's easier to hold down the shift key and hit "AOTC" than it is to hold it down and type "EP@" and then have to go back and change the "@" to a "2" because that bugs the hell out of me. It's the same reason I hate typing out droid names "R2-D2" invarialby comes out as "R@_D@" Either that or I DON'T use the shift key and it comes out 'r2-d2' but I hate the lower case look. So....I like the title. It fits in with the other titles quite nicely. And I agree with GNT in believing JT secretly likes the new title and is impressed with the ingenious simplicity of it. :D ;) :p :rolleyes: :)

JediTricks
09-14-2001, 12:20 PM
This stuff isn't being taken as humorous, so I strongly suggest you lay off. I don't tell you how to think, so if I don't like the title, there is nothing to gain by trying to play around while telling me what my opinions should be.

GNT
09-14-2001, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by Eternal Padawan
And I agree with GNT in believing JT secretly likes the new title and is impressed with the ingenious simplicity of it. :D ;) :p :rolleyes: :)

:)

This stuff isn't being taken as humorous, so I strongly suggest you lay off. I don't tell you how to think, so if I don't like the title, there is nothing to gain by trying to play around while telling me what my opinions should be.

I think your serious :confused:

Eternal Padawan
09-15-2001, 05:01 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks

Dude. Calm down. You hate it. I get it. You hate the title. You hate those four words. You hate Clones. You hate Attack. You hate Of and you hate The. YOU HATE IT. It sucks in your opinion and ANY other title would have been better. What was George thinking? Why not "Episode II: Rapid Descent by Copied People?" THAT would have been better. here are some other more appropriate titles considering the plot of the film:
"Turd of the Gungans"
"Defense of the Midgets"
"Incline of the Plane"
"Cheese of the World"
"Tigers of the Serengeti"
"Peanut Butter's Revenge"
"Isotopes:Fact or Fiction?"
"Buckingham Palace and the Swedish Chimp"
"Losers and Plastic Chess Kings"
"Freaks of nature"
"Rubber Puppy Hoses"

All much more suitable as titles for Episode II...anything except ATTACK OF THE CLONES... (which, unless I misunderstood, you hate and is the worst title EVER!!!!!!)

Rollo Tomassi
09-15-2001, 02:29 PM
I think the point he was trying to make is no one is trying to convince you that you hate the title, so why should you try to tell him he likes it.

Buckingham palace and the Swedish Chimp??? :D LOL. What does that MEAN??!?

GNT
09-16-2001, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by Eternal Padawan

Dude. Calm down

Exactly. He really hates it!

Buckingham palace and the Swedish Chimp??? :D LOL. What does that MEAN??!?

You don't want to know :)

JediTricks
09-16-2001, 11:36 AM
Rollo, you hit it on the head. Thanks. :)

Rollo Tomassi
09-17-2001, 05:14 PM
And, to be fair JT, I think he was trying to point out that as far as titles go, it's not the absolute WORSE title ever. Here is a hypothetical:

StarWars.com: George Lucas unveiled the title of the new Star Wars movie today: "Star Wars Episode II Buckingham Palace and the Swedish Chimp" 'it hearkens back to the days of serials...blah blah...' said Lucas in the accompanying statement...

JediTricks: God in Heaven! What a horrible title!

Star Wars.com : Just kidding folks! It's actually "Attack of the Clones"

JediTricks: God in heaven! What a slightly less horrible title!

JT begins sobbing quietly...:p :) :rolleyes:

JediTricks
09-18-2001, 10:00 AM
Rollo, I've got GNT saying "You'll like it one day JT,I betcha!", "It has grown on you as it will for Jeditricks", and "You must like the title!", followed by EP saying "And I agree with GNT in believing JT secretly likes the new title"; those are hard to take any other way for me, especially since it's repeated over and over. Honestly, I don't think Lucas could have done any worse with the title.

GNT
09-19-2001, 02:12 AM
"It has grown on you as it will for Jeditricks"

don't think Lucas could have done any worse with the title.

That quote was diected at JEDIpartnr :) Plus Lucas could have done worse!

master jedi
09-19-2001, 02:13 PM
Honestly, I don't think Lucas could have done any worse with the title.

I think he could have done a heck of a lot worse with the title.

JediTricks
09-20-2001, 05:42 AM
Originally posted by GNT
Plus Lucas could have done worse! There you go again! I said "I don't think Lucas could have done any worse" and you say he could. You don't say "I think he could", you just proceed to contradict my opinion. That's extremely rude and disrespectful.

Rollo Tomassi
09-20-2001, 07:13 AM
There you go again! I said "I don't think Lucas could have done any worse" and you say he could. You don't say "I think he could", you just proceed to contradict my opinion. That's extremely rude and disrespectful.

WHAAAH???? Now you're trying to supress HIS opinion?

Orignially posted by master jedi
I think he could have done a heck of a lot worse with the title.

Is this one disrespectful and rude, too? So anyone who is in disagreement with you is rude? Don't come across as a hypocritical moron, JT. I might lose respect for you.:(

ImpulC2
09-20-2001, 06:44 PM
Has Anyone noticed on the offical site that the titles of all of the movies EXCEPT EP2 have the names of them? The Roman Numerals in the middle of the page all reveal the title of the movie that corrosponds to them except for Episode 2...Is this not really the name of the movie?? Maybe the true title name will appear on the trailer in November.

Rollo Tomassi
09-20-2001, 10:49 PM
That's StarWars.com being lazy.

---OR---

I THINK that's StarWars.com being lazy...

Of course, whether or not you use the word "think" in your response is purely semantic because the very nature of your response is what you think. It's kind of like responding to a thread like this:

"This thread reminds me of some cheese fries I ate" Rollo typed on his computer.

Of course I typed it. It's what I typed. It's what I think. I need neither say I typed something, nor say I thought it. It's rather obvious...

bigbarada
09-20-2001, 10:58 PM
bigbarada sat at his computer, scratching himself and typed, "I like the title.";)

Rollo Tomassi
09-20-2001, 11:02 PM
"No. No. No. You think you like the title." typed Rollo, thinking himself very clever...

bigbarada
09-20-2001, 11:09 PM
bigbarada was confused now, which usually wasn't very hard to accomplish. So he tried to understand what Rollo was trying to get at and typed, "I think that you think that I don't think you don't not dislike the title?"

GNT
09-21-2001, 02:40 AM
There you go again! I said "I don't think Lucas could have done any worse" and you say he could. You don't say "I think he could", you just proceed to contradict my opinion. That's extremely rude and disrespectful.

But thats MY opinion, he could do worse if he wanted to!

JediTricks
09-21-2001, 06:49 AM
Rollo, you're totally misrepresenting the situation, look again at what GNT posted in post #48:

Originally posted by GNT
--------------
"It has grown on you as it will for Jeditricks"

don't think Lucas could have done any worse with the title.
--------------

That quote was diected at JEDIpartnr Plus Lucas could have done worse!It's not like he's disagreeing with a general statement, he's specifically taking MY OPINION which starts "I don't think..." and specifically contradicting it with his opinion which he's stating as fact.

Obviously Master Jedi's comment isn't disrespectful towards me, MJ's comment you have there is stated as his opinion AND he's not actively saying my opinions are wrong. I don't care if folks don't agree with me, but when someone takes my posted opinion and directly says it was wrong not as opinion but as fact, how is that not rude and disrespectful?

Rollo Tomassi
09-21-2001, 11:56 AM
Again, Semantics. I say the difference between stating an opinion with or without "think" anywhere in it is nil.

JediTricks
09-22-2001, 01:01 AM
Rollo, I think you're missing the point entirely, the problem I had wasn't primarily that he's stating his point as fact, almost every poster - myself included - made that mistake from time to time, but when you take someone else's opinion and directly say it is wrong, that's the issue.

GNT
09-22-2001, 01:05 AM
I don't care if folks don't agree with me, but when someone takes my posted opinion and directly says it was wrong not as opinion but as fact

but when you take someone else's opinion and directly say it is wrong

I didn't say what you said was wrong in anyway!

JediTricks
09-22-2001, 01:39 AM
GNT, look at your post, post number 48 (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=9977#post9977) on this thread. You quote my opinion, that I thought the title could not have been worse, then you reply with the statement "Plus Lucas could have done worse!", and you did it as a direct reply to a post where I was specifically saying that you had been trying to change my opinion over and over.

GNT
09-22-2001, 01:52 AM
You quote my opinion, that I thought the title could not have been worse, then you reply with the statement "Plus Lucas could have done worse!", and you did it as a direct reply to a post where I was specifically saying that you had been trying to change my opinion over and over.

I may have quoted your opinion but I also gave my opinion "Plus Lucas could have done worse!" Which in my opinion he could have made alot worse than what he did!

In that post I'm not trying to change your opinion at all as I gave my opinion on the subject.

Remember I have a opinion too :)

Rollo Tomassi
09-22-2001, 09:41 AM
"A tempest in a teacup." That phrase seems appropriate right about now. I'm afraid I have to side with GNT on this one. He was just stating his opinion. From reading the posts again, I think JT overreacted. Not to say JT doesn't have a valid point in people deliberately shooting down other's opinions with phrases like
"You are just plain WRONG, JT."

or

"Kiss my grits, GNT!"

I think that IS rude and disrespectful, but I don't think it applies to this situation. And back to the subject at hand...The title matters for the amount of time it scrolls across the screen. If you really want to hate the film, watch it and complain about Jar Jar or the silly clonetrooper armor or something....

bigbarada
09-22-2001, 11:16 AM
bigbarada sat at his keyboard scratching his head. Suddenly he jumped up, snapped his fingers and yelled "I got it!" Like a man possessed, he typed, "Thinking that thought of the thinking title me thinks that you don't think of the thinking man's thoughts on the voracious attitude of the hatred of liking to think of this title."

:D

GNT
09-22-2001, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by Rollo Tomassi
"A tempest in a teacup." That phrase seems appropriate right about now. I'm afraid I have to side with GNT on this one. He was just stating his opinion. From reading the posts again, I think JT overreacted. Not to say JT doesn't have a valid point in people deliberately shooting down other's opinions with phrases like
"You are just plain WRONG, JT."

And back to the subject at hand...The title matters for the amount of time it scrolls across the screen. If you really want to hate the film, watch it and complain about Jar Jar or the silly clonetrooper armor or something....

here here!!plus we haven't seen pictures of the Clonetrooper armour yet in real life form that I know of :)

hamsterboy
10-10-2001, 12:31 AM
I hated the title at first,then I thought of all the titles as chapters in a giant book. Makes it work a little better.

HevyDevy
10-23-2001, 01:45 AM
i think it's a terrible title, but I'm sure the movie will be great so it doesn't really matter I guess

ki-adi mundi's bro
10-23-2001, 07:29 PM
i don't care as long as the film comes out next may...

Pendo
10-24-2001, 10:55 AM
The title has kinda grown on me.
When I first heard it i thought "What the..." but now it doesn't bother me. It was the same with Episode I's title.

PENDO!

Wooooof
10-25-2001, 06:05 PM
I like it, but don't really see the big deal. I still think A New Hope is the crappiest of the titles.

Co Jo-Da
10-26-2001, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by Pendo
The title has kinda grown on me.
When I first heard it i thought "What the..." but now it doesn't bother me. It was the same with Episode I's title.
[/B]

That's how I felt...

2-1B
05-06-2002, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by ImpulC2
Has Anyone noticed on the offical site that the titles of all of the movies EXCEPT EP2 have the names of them? The Roman Numerals in the middle of the page all reveal the title of the movie that corrosponds to them except for Episode 2...Is this not really the name of the movie?? Maybe the true title name will appear on the trailer in November.

I've wondered the same thing. My guess is that it will say Episode II on the official site until the film is released. I'm having a hard time explaining this, but it seems kinda like they are waiting until the movie is out before they present AOTC as a part of the series. Am I making any sense? :crazed:

Wow that was a ride, going through this thread that hasn't been touched in over half a year. :)

dirtybones
05-07-2002, 09:06 AM
I love it. Lucas at his best.

Darth Nihilus
05-07-2002, 11:59 AM
I'm not a fan of the title, though I generally refer to the prequels as Ep1, Ep2, etc. Problem is, what else could you call it to capture the content of the movie. "Clone War"? "Rise of the Sith"? Suggestions?

DarthBrandon
05-07-2002, 06:19 PM
like the title because it jives with Old Obi-Wan in ANH.

artdoesart
05-08-2002, 12:26 AM
Well at first i hated it but i guess like TPM it grew on me... i guess u just have to give it time.

scruffziller
05-09-2002, 07:46 PM
I have been talking to other fans and they were upset that EPS 2 was called Attack of the Clones. They wanted it to be called The Clone Wars. But I explained, that this was one event , the Clone Wars will carry throughout till EPS 3 and perhaps beyond. Anybody else experience any of this dorkiness in your discussions.

Jason B
05-09-2002, 07:55 PM
i thought it sucked earlier on. but now it fits perfectly. :D

Wolfwood319
05-09-2002, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by scruffziller
Anybody else experience any of this dorkiness in your discussions.

You mean like (somewhat) grown men talking about movies and the fictional wars contained within, their titles, fictitious events, whatnot?

Yeah, I've experienced some of this "dorkiness"....:rolleyes:

Jargo
05-09-2002, 08:35 PM
I can deal with the title when it's written but it sounds incredibly stupidly dumb when spoken and especially on TV. It also sounds stupid when adverts use that growly trailer guy voice to say it. Imagine someone taking a dump and groaning and then vocalise that but say the title and you'll know what I mean. I still hate it. Much as I hate The Phantom menace still. I'm preferring to refer to the movies by acronym or episode number. It's just one of those things that grates. Such is life eh?

plo koon 200
05-10-2002, 09:01 PM
I loved it the first time I heard it. The best title ever.

scruffziller
05-22-2002, 12:21 PM
Yes I am talking about grown men who argue this.

Rogue II
09-13-2006, 12:51 PM
You'll like it one day JT,I betcha!

Ok JT, settle the bet. Do you like the title yet?

2-1B
09-13-2006, 06:54 PM
my money's on "no." lol lol lol

I think titles are awesome, every Star Wars episode should have them. :rolleyes:

JediTricks
09-13-2006, 08:51 PM
Attack of the DOODY! No, I don't like it.

Rogue II
09-13-2006, 09:05 PM
Well, make sure GNT pays up next time he stops by.:D

Which is worse, the title or the movie? I say the movie.

Jayspawn
09-13-2006, 09:18 PM
I like the title of Attack of the Clones now. But I sure didnt when it came out though.

JimJamBonds
09-13-2006, 11:14 PM
I like the title of Attack of the Clones now. But I sure didnt when it came out though.

I liked AOTC when it came out, now and all the time between then and now (that isn't to say I wouldn't have changed some things).

JediTricks
09-14-2006, 08:59 PM
Well, make sure GNT pays up next time he stops by.:D

Which is worse, the title or the movie? I say the movie.Somehow, I doubt we're getting paid on that one. ;)

The movie is worse than the title, the same can be said for all 3 prequels.