PDA

View Full Version : Is Anyone Here Greek?

DarthQuack
05-14-2008, 09:39 AM
I pledged my fraternity Sigma Tau Gamma in Spring of 2001. I was glad to have done it....I'm sure a few out there will say, that's just paying for friends, but I would disagree. I still go up to my alumni every fall and have a blast with the brothers I know and the new ones I meet each trip up. I don't regret joining at all.

El Chuxter
05-14-2008, 10:01 AM
Slicker's Mom jumped out of a lot of cakes at frat parties, I understand.

DarthQuack
05-14-2008, 10:15 AM
She's also jumped outta my birthday cake, my stripper cake, you name it.

Blue2th
05-14-2008, 10:36 AM
I'm not Greek, because "the Greeks don't want no Freaks"

jedi master sal
05-14-2008, 12:20 PM
I'm half Greek. Grandpap was from Athens.

(And yes I know you're talking about frats..)

Phantom-like Menace
05-14-2008, 12:22 PM
όχι

And I've never been in a fraternity.

mtriv73
05-15-2008, 09:42 AM
Yes, I was a founding father of the Delta Xi chapter of Zeta Beta Tau at Virginia Tech. I decided to go with that one because we have no pledging or hazing. The night of induction, you're a full member. As a FF I wouldn't have to worry about it anyway, but I liked it for the future brothers.

I was also in a couple honors fraternities, but I don't think those are what you're talking about.

DarthQuack
05-15-2008, 09:46 AM
I agree with you, I joined my fraternity because they have a no-hazing policy, which I think is smart, I don't enjoy being yelled at, or looked down upon, unless Slick's Mom is participating.

JediTricks
05-15-2008, 08:58 PM
I also though this was about ancestry, not fraternities.

I'm 1/4 Greek, my grandfather's parents came from Greece during that lil scuffle with the Turks, my great-grandmother had been a "guest" of the Turks for a while.

I'm not a member of a frat, but there's one from back east which keeps sending me newsletters and money requests thinking I'm a 60-year-old with the same name. :p

Mad Slanted Powers
05-15-2008, 09:47 PM
There were no frats at my university. I wouldn't have wanted to join one anyway, unless of course there happened to be one called Mu Mu Mu. Is there an Alpha Sigma Sigma house?

Ancestry-wise, my lineage is from further north - Irish, Scandavian, German.

LusiferSam
05-16-2008, 12:36 PM
Thankfully, no. My hot head Scot German background wouldn't allow for it. Both my parents are greeks and highly involved with their groups. So I got my fill of the greek life as a kid. As a non member I know more about the SigEps and DGs than I should. The SigEp program is a excellent program (one of the best out there). But I only join organizations on my terms, not theirs. And given what I know of my dad's local chapter that attitudes wouldn't fly really well.

El Chuxter
05-18-2008, 05:23 PM
I was going to eat at the Mad Greek in Baker last time I went to Vegas. I've seen it on TV, which is normally a good sign for little holes-in-the-wall like that.

However, it got a B from the health department. Now, I tend to look more closely at the sign when it's not an A, since minor stuff like "an employee kept his own soda in the fridge where food is stored" can get a C in these parts. However, the less-than-perfect grade was due to improper storage and failure to cook to a safe temperature.

I have not eaten there. I went to boring old BK instead.