Gammorean Guard

Admiral Ackbar

Luke Skywalker (no specifics provided)

Han Solo (no specifics provided)

Darth Maul

Jar Jar Binks

Queen Amidala (Theed Invasion)

...and some EU characters

I imagine the Luke will be the ROTJ that lots of folks have been asking for for years. Han is probably Bespin, a needed upgrade.

All in all, an exciting prospect for 2009!:thumbsup:

DarthQuack
05-14-2008, 04:24 PM
I love the Vintage line.....it's so bad.

bigbarada
05-14-2008, 04:27 PM
From the otheRSite:

Vintage Star Wars Figures - 6 waves in 2009

Walrus Man

Death Squad Commander

Jawa

Princess Leia (Hoth Outfit)

Zuckuss

Emperor's Royal Guard

Wicket

Gammorean Guard

Admiral Ackbar

Some great news if true.:thumbsup:

sebillba
05-14-2008, 04:35 PM
What's even better is they're supposed to be at basic figure price! :thumbsup:

Jargo
05-14-2008, 04:59 PM
I might possibly consider these:

Walrus Man
Jawa
Gammorean Guard

depends if the rumours are true and how they end up looking when they hit retail.

Blue2th
05-14-2008, 05:26 PM
Depending on how they look, and how much an improvement over their predecessors they are, I would buy every one of them.

Of course I don't think we've ever had a redone since the original Death Squad Commander.

That's gotta be ROTJ Luke. I would want that one more than any other.

dindae
05-14-2008, 05:54 PM
6 Waves is a little crazy for me to believe since it has been so limited every other year. Unless they change the Legacy line to the Vintage. Which if they are throwing in EU and PT then it may as well. I wouldn't mind having a lot of those figures redone but since I'm an opener the Vintage line doesn't have as much appeal to me as it once did.

Beast
05-14-2008, 06:01 PM
I'll pick up the Vintage Jar Jar. Can't wait. :)

Kidhuman
05-14-2008, 07:32 PM
Darth Maul

Jar Jar Binks

And these are Vintage how?

General_Grievous
05-14-2008, 10:12 PM
The only thing that's missing from that list is Emperor Palpatine.

Deoxyribonucleic
05-14-2008, 11:13 PM
And these are Vintage how?

My thoughts exactly. Otherwise, cool list.

Rik Duel
05-14-2008, 11:18 PM
I wonder if these will just be like the old school G.I. Joe cards, instead of the clamshelled, higher price thing.

Slicker
05-14-2008, 11:19 PM
And these are Vintage how?I was wondering the same thing. The same goes for the EU. :rolleyes:

Leave it to Hasbro to bastardize one of the best SW lines by catering to fan boys and there f**king EU.

Deoxyribonucleic
05-14-2008, 11:20 PM
I was wondering the same thing. The same goes for the EU. :rolleyes:

Leave it to Hasbro to bastardize one of the best SW lines by catering to fan boys and there f**king EU.

I want to have your babies :love:

Maradona
05-14-2008, 11:31 PM
I wonder if these will just be like the old school G.I. Joe cards, instead of the clamshelled, higher price thing.

I think you might be onto something here. Hasbro has had amazing success with their nostalgic GI Joe revival, so it would come as little surprise if they transferred that packaging mentality to the Star Wars line. I do think, though, that the price will still be higher than the Joes'.

Beast
05-15-2008, 12:01 AM
I was wondering the same thing. The same goes for the EU. :rolleyes:

Yeah, how dare they make what people want to buy. The bastages!

figrin bran
05-15-2008, 12:33 AM
Next year will be the 10th Anniversary of TPM. :p

11 out of those rumored figures are OT and yet some of you focus on 3 PT ones and an undisclosed number of EU. Are you not happy to get a new Ackbar and Wicket and Zuckuss and Walrus Man who isn't even named Ponda Baba?

Tycho
05-15-2008, 02:47 AM
Walrus Man - don't need

Death Squad Commander - might be cool

Jawa - don't need, but softgoods cloak would be tempting

Princess Leia (Hoth Outfit) - don't need

Zuckuss - don't need, but leather cloak would be tempting

Emperor's Royal Guard - don't need

Wicket - don't need. Ewoks need Lumat, Warok, Paploo resculpt, mommy, and Keolkeech

Gammorean Guard - don't need, but two useable hands would work.

Admiral Ackbar - don't need

Luke Skywalker (no specifics provided) - Medical Frigate would rock

Han Solo (no specifics provided) - Ultimate Carbon Frozen would rock

(Luke and Han are probably the SA stormtrooper figures)

Darth Maul - don't need

Jar Jar Binks - need AOTC Padme Apartment, perhaps better AOTC Senate figure, not TPM

Queen Amidala (Theed Invasion) - a softgoods? Might be OK, but need that Post-Senate, and Purple Gown

...and some EU characters - for "vintage?" I STRONGLY want EU figures, but we don't need softgoods and extra accessories or articulation. In this case, I'll take quanitity over too much quality. And their talk of another Quinlan Vos? I love Quinlan, but we don't need 2-3 figures of him! Let's get Yuuzhan Vong troop builders out there for the EU fans!

I imagine the Luke will be the ROTJ that lots of folks have been asking for for years. Han is probably Bespin, a needed upgrade.

No. These will be the stormtrooper disguised figures most likely. And Han Bespin just doesn't work with softgoods - they've tried that already.

Bosskman
05-15-2008, 03:59 AM
Give us another Amidala, not Theed Invasion. we already have that figure and it's freakin sweet enough as it is. The Gamorean Guard would RULE though. As would Jedi Knight luke as long as he could be made into DS2 Luke that is...)

Slicker
05-15-2008, 04:11 AM
Yeah, how dare they make what people want to buy. The bastages!I realize that Hasbro has to get money but the vintage line is just that. It's for the vintage figures (1978-1985) to be redone and and released. It's not so they can release PT and EU figures and put them on a vintage style card. I realize that EU is here to stay and it no doubts makes Hasbro a good sum of money but it's got it's place and the vintage line isn't it.

11 out of those rumored figures are OT and yet some of you focus on 3 PT ones and an undisclosed number of EU. Are you not happy to get a new Ackbar and Wicket and Zuckuss and Walrus Man who isn't even named Ponda Baba?As stated above we focus on them because it's a vintage line and those are NON vintage figures.

Phantom-like Menace
05-15-2008, 06:20 AM
Yeah, how dare they make what people want to buy. The bastages!

I say we hurl thank yous in their general direction. That'll learn 'em!

11 out of those rumored figures are OT and yet some of you focus on 3 PT ones and an undisclosed number of EU. Are you not happy to get a new Ackbar and Wicket and Zuckuss and Walrus Man who isn't even named Ponda Baba?

You almost imply that one should collect for pleasure and not misery.

dindae
05-15-2008, 09:32 AM
No. These will be the stormtrooper disguised figures most likely.
I would have to disagree since we are already getting both Han and Luke stormtroopers this year. But then again if they do make 6 waves then I assume that means all non-Clone Wars figures will be "vintage" figures so I guess we would see 2008 reissues in the 2009 line.

mtriv73
05-15-2008, 09:36 AM
What's even better is they're supposed to be at basic figure price! :thumbsup:

By next year, basic figure price may be close to $10 a figure the way oil prices are going.

Tycho
05-15-2008, 11:22 AM
I wonder if Hasbro didn't have a senior moment and confuse what a question meant with "vintage" to mean "basic," as opposed to "Clone Wars."

I mean this in the same way as saying, "I'd like to order a coke," and expecting the server to ask, "What kind of coke do you want," so that I can respond, "I'll have a Dr. Pepper."

I never meant Coca-Cola by brand, but I used their product name to generalize.

I thought I heard that Hasbro was NOT going to offer any more 80's cardbacks in the clamshell packaging. And while you could make him a card in that style, Darth Maul would have certainly never had (a real) one because he's a 90's character.

Battle Droid
05-15-2008, 11:40 AM
Where's the Battle Droid in TPM Wave? :rolleyes:

Sinscia Fat'o
05-15-2008, 12:11 PM
Next year will be the 10th Anniversary of TPM. :p

Thank you. A voice of reason in a other wise crazy thread.

Three PT figures aren't going to hurt you OT lovers. Your getting your line back, hasbro nearly got flooded by your tears when they stopped it. (Even though 75% cried about how Princess Leia's neck wasn't screen accurate...) Or Luke wasn't epic enough...

Sorry for the negative sounding post, but you have what 10-11 figures on that list ALL of us being SW fans, whether it's PT, OT or EU fan's have been wanting. Yes I want a new Ackbar to...WOW a new Zuckuss!! Cool a quality Jar Jar figure. Wow maybe some GOOD Eu figures with great articulation and detail...Get my drift? They can not only cator to 25% of the market it would not make buiness sense, so stop complaining!

Devo
05-15-2008, 01:16 PM
I realize that EU is here to stay and it no doubts makes Hasbro a good sum of money but it's got it's place and the vintage line isn't it.

Well I don't care if they want to put PT and EU stuff on vintage-esque cards - I do have doubts that EU stuff makes them 'a good sum of money' though. I guess its a vastly smaller market in Ireland but EU stuff (clone wars cartoon, McQuarrie etc) is seriously warming pegs over here. As do minor characters from the OT I suppose but everywhere I go I'm particularly seeing roron corob, tattooakin, Starkiller hero and Darth revan. Based on my irish experience I'd say that kids just don't know who any of these are and that they too see the films as the only real canon...not that they know the word 'canon'.

bigbarada
05-15-2008, 01:55 PM
Is it too much to hope that the "vintage" EU figures are modern updates of figures from the Droids and Ewoks cartoon? That would be awesome!

I have no problems with the Ep1 vintage figures, in fact I look forward to them.:yes: It's been a long time since we've seen a new Jar Jar and I kind of miss the character.

However, if they were going to resculpt an existing Ep1 Amidala, then I would have preferred remaking her Senate Gown. But I can understand their choice, since the Theed Invasion outfit is the most iconic.

Droid
05-15-2008, 02:06 PM
I think that a figure of Darth Maul or other prequel characters on a cardback styled like the vintage cards is pretty neat.

I will likely pass on most of these since I already have figures of the characters, but would probably buy some of them.

LTBasker
05-15-2008, 02:58 PM
From the otheRSite:
Death Squad Commander
Zuckuss

I could see these causing some controversy, since the vintage versions are a little messed up. Should they put 4-Lom's name on Zuckuss' card, and should the Death Squad Commander have a gray uniform or should it be all black? Granted, they've already made an all-black uniform Death Star Trooper, and that one might not be much of a problem, but the 4-Lom/Zuckuss issue will likely cause some friction.

Another issue I'm worried about is the peg hole/hook. The vintage cards had to have theirs punched out in order to be hung, and the previous vintage lines haven't been punched due to their clamshell. So, are we going to be able to get unpunched versions of these new vintage figures to go with the previous releases?

The prequel/EU vintage figure idea is interesting, and I wouldn't mind it too much, but I think it would be better if they waited until they had more of the OT-vintage replicated. Jar-Jar and Theed Amidala sound like pretty horrid choices to be among the first prequel releases as well. Jar-Jar, aside from when he is shortpacked, is a known peg-warmer and POTJ Theed Amidala wasn't that popular herself. They would be better off releasing more requested prequel characters that will be far more enticing to let the prequel vintage continue.

I'm thinking purple suit Padme, Captain Panaka, Qui-Gon and/or Obi-Wan would be better choices, along with Maul.

As for the EU, without knowing the choices they've made, obviously there is little room to comment, but I think it's best to leave the EU to the 2-packs.

Unless it's Dark Forces/Dark Forces 2 characters, then bring'em on plllllllleeeeeeeaaaaassse! :D lol

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-15-2008, 07:10 PM
Didn't they say recently they wouldn't be updating the Death Squad Commander (aka Death Star Trooper) again since they just had a new one? It's still warming pegs, so I doubt they'd do one in vintage.

Since this list is mostly what a lot of people have been asking for in the first place, I'll take it with a grain of salt. But I have long wanted the introduction of PT characters into this line, even though many of the basic figures are better-than-vintage quality already and the vintage line is often extremely hit-or-miss.

El Chuxter
05-15-2008, 08:27 PM
If they're going to be regular price, it's probably more like the Joe line than the VOTC line. For the most part, they look like the old cards (with some changes due to trademark issues, like "Sergeant Stalker"). But there are new figures (the Red Ninja, Arctic Snake Eyes, modern Zartan, etc) that have new artwork designed to look like they would've fit in the original line. This fits in even better with the rumor of "prequel vintage."

If they're regular price, though, I've got to wonder if this is going to be the main 2009 line? It would seem weird to have two totally different card styles at once. (Yes, I'm aware of the Legacy/Clone Wars division, but the shapes and designs are consistent with one another.)

Some of those there's no way I'd buy. Others, there's no way I could pass up. I've really got to wonder how the 2005 ROTS Emperor's Guard could possibly be improved upon.

bigbarada
05-15-2008, 09:37 PM
I've really got to wonder how the 2005 ROTS Emperor's Guard could possibly be improved upon.

Well, they could make him film accurate for starters and get rid of the ridiculous EU armor (not only does it look silly, it's totally impractical). Then give him a cloak that's not split down two sides so it hangs more realistically.

Still, it's going to have to be on the same level of the VTAC Snowtrooper for me to get really excited about it.

figrin bran
05-15-2008, 10:06 PM
As stated above we focus on them because it's a vintage line and those are NON vintage figures.

Ah, but we don't actually know that it's a "vintage" line. Doesn't anyone else find it curious that this rumor surfaced even before rumored basic figures? That leaves a possibility that this is in fact the basic line and not a vintage subline. Or maybe not.

Devo
05-15-2008, 10:15 PM
I've really got to wonder how the 2005 ROTS Emperor's Guard could possibly be improved upon.

By getting rid of the soft goods. These guys don't need to sit and the softgoods can't look right either way.

bigbarada
05-15-2008, 10:29 PM
Ah, but we don't actually know that it's a "vintage" line. Doesn't anyone else find it curious that this rumor surfaced even before rumored basic figures? That leaves a possibility that this is in fact the basic line and not a vintage subline. Or maybe not.

Or maybe it's a combination of the two. I'd be totally fine with Hasbro re-imagining the vintage cards along the same lines as the 25th anniversary GI Joe figures (no clamshells and j-hooks).

Darth Cruel
05-16-2008, 12:59 PM
I am glad to see that we are getting closer to completing the bounty hunter line-up with Zuckuss. Now all we need is Dengar.

TheRealDubya
05-16-2008, 01:22 PM
Or maybe it's a combination of the two. I'd be totally fine with Hasbro re-imagining the vintage cards along the same lines as the 25th anniversary GI Joe figures (no clamshells and j-hooks).

I'd bet good money that this is what they'll do. I would buy everything they put out on the these cards. I'm a nut for the Vintage look, and at a basic price point, I'd be doubly excited.

Snowtrooper
05-16-2008, 11:03 PM
I don't normally collect GI Joe, but the vintage style package hooked me into picking up a few of these. With the success Hasbro has had with these, it would make sense to at least try it the same way with SW.

For the record, I'm all for putting PT and EU onto vintage style cards. They should be able to come up with some interesting cardbacks. I took a crack at making my own vintage style cards for PT characters a few years back(never actually printed out the card). Came up with some that I thought were kind of neat. But I thought back then that Hasbro really ought to try PT on vintage cards. I hope they actually do this.

bigbarada
05-17-2008, 01:21 PM
luke xwing pilot was the only vintage pilot kenner made, right guys?

No, they also made the TIE Fighter Pilot, the B-Wing Pilot, and the A-Wing Pilot.

bigbarada
05-17-2008, 01:26 PM
Well, they made Nein Nunb and Lando General Pilot, so I guess those both count.

AmanaMatt
05-19-2008, 08:55 AM
With all due respect to Tycho (I assume you are not vintage line fan given you shot down 90%?) As toys, we don't need any, but as a fan, I do very much want:

Walrus Man we have not had a new one since, what, 1997 - he needs a new sculpt in a bad way. Ironically, this is the one I have wanted most in a long time - the one we have is so outdated, its not funny

Death Squad Commander if done in the Grey outfit style, this could be cool. The new one we got is not that good to me and a prime illustration that articulation can hold back a sculpt....in a really wrong way

Jawa we do not need - we already have like 6 of these guys, so Jawa's are represented already

Princess Leia (Hoth Outfit) not really on the top 25 I would want

Zuckuss Very much in need of a new one

Emperor's Royal Guard I personally think the prequel one pretty much rocks - Eu armor underneath is fine, and I am no EU fan saying this

Wicket we need this in a bad way. The one we have is TERRIBLE

Gammorean Guard I will be very curious as to this, given the one we have is still decent. No doubt Hasbro can make one kickbutt GG now - and if they look different, it'll just flesh out dioramas

Admiral Ackbar I'll take it. the outdated body work on the old one looks bad nowadays

Luke Skywalker (no specifics provided) We'll see - aside from an accurately scaled Luke in Stormie gear, I am sick of Luke

Han Solo (no specifics provided) we'll see

bigbarada
05-19-2008, 12:47 PM
I think Hasbro mentioned that they were saving a soft-goods Jawa for the vintage line, which is what I think this one will be.

I'm really looking forward to the idea of a new Gamorrean Guard. I never liked the POTF2 sculpt, I always felt that it was actually inferior to the vintage figure. I think it was the fact that his head is too small, which makes his proportions more super-heroic than fat and slovenly. Plus that typical POTF2 "stance" makes him useless as a guard figure.

The POTF2 Ackbar was an improvement over the vintage figure, but is just to simplistic compared to the detail we are getting now.

A new Wicket is definitely needed, it seemed that Hasbro/Kenner was afraid to make him cute for the POTF2 line and that ultimately hurt the look of the figure.

Blue2th
05-19-2008, 01:45 PM
Luke Skywalker (no specifics provided)[COLOR="Blue"] We'll see - aside from an accurately scaled Luke in Stormie gear, I am sick of Luke

Me too, but I would almost give my left...er eye teeth for an ultimate version of ROTJ Luke.

ChrisLyne
05-19-2008, 04:26 PM
From the otheRSite:

Vintage Star Wars Figures - 6 waves in 2009

Walrus Man
Death Squad Commander
Jawa
Princess Leia (Hoth Outfit)
Zuckuss
Emperor's Royal Guard
Wicket
Gammorean Guard
Admiral Ackbar
Darth Maul
Jar Jar Binks
...and some EU characters

Not a bad list. I agree with what others have said though - this isn't the "Vintage" line we've had the last few years. This sounds like a replacement for TLC (or maybe just a new look for TLC).

I'm all for the a vintage style line (excellent sculpts and articulation) including PT and EU characters. But once it spreads beyond the original line up, doesn't use exact replica cards and has a basic line price point then I have to ask - what's the point of the basic line?

Hasbro loves to refresh the cardback every year, maybe this is just next year's version - vintage style?

As for the EU, I'm begging that Hasbro make them novel and game characters (especially NJO Jedi Jacen and Jaina). The comic packs can fill most comic character needs (though I would buy SA Quinlan and Legacy characters) but for others the few EU slots in the main and/or vintage line is the only place for them!

So any bets who else is in this line up? At four figures a wave that's 24 figures and only 14 on the list, if there's five or six figure waves then there's even more gaps. If it really is "Vintage" then my guess is 4 per wave (similar to the 4 wave VOTC), but if this is just a replacement line then it could be the regular 6-8 figures.

Old Fossil
05-23-2008, 11:30 AM
I like the list. I honestly wouldn't mind a $10 price point if they were in sealed clamshells, since I've so far got a complete set of sealed VOTC, VTSC, and VTAC. There are a few openers there for me, too, as there have been for each of the three prior neo-Vintage lines.

I am done army-building and don't build dioramas, having neither the room nor the finances for either anymore. With my family's budget tightening these days, a new line like this would be an ideal "high-end" collectible for me. Collectibles by Sideshow and Gentle Giant and the like are out of my league, as are carded "true" vintage SW figures.

I only hope there are no offenders like the VOTC Threepio in that lineup.