PDA

View Full Version : Wow... Vader is worse than I expected

El Chuxter
05-15-2008, 01:38 AM
I've been griping about the TFU Vader since seeing pics, since it still bugs me that the baddest guy in the universe could be beaten up like that by anyone other than Palpatine, Obi-Wan, or Luke.

However, I can see that it'd be a cool figure for display. I never wanted it, but can see why some folks do.

I saw this thing today for the first time. My God, this piece of garbage might actually be worse than the lovechild of Rocket Attack R5-D4 and Monkey-Faced Leia. Even disregarding that the paint makes the Indy figures look like lovingly handpainted works of art, this figure is so wrong in so many ways, it's not funny.

I think his left foot can sum it all up. I didn't believe folks who said his foot was too big. But, without the boot, the mechanical innards are bigger than the right foot on the same figure! How is this even possible? Did Vader secretly have one giant foot he used so it would hurt more if he kicked people in the butt?

As horrible as this figure looks, I can't see why he's not pegwarming hard.

figrin bran
05-15-2008, 01:50 AM
I've been griping about the TFU Vader since seeing pics, since it still bugs me that the baddest guy in the universe could be beaten up like that by anyone other than Palpatine, Obi-Wan, or Luke.

Ahhhhhhh...you underestimate the Secret Apprentice! :p

El Chuxter
05-15-2008, 02:00 AM
Except it's already been confirmed that he was beaten up by Rebel agents. :)

(One of which could be the Secret Apprentice, of course.)

Kidhuman
05-15-2008, 05:59 AM
Its that bad and worse out of the package

Blue2th
05-15-2008, 09:48 AM
I think his left foot can sum it all up. I didn't believe folks who said his foot was too big. But, without the boot, the mechanical innards are bigger than the right foot on the same figure! How is this even possible? Did Vader secretly have one giant foot he used so it would hurt more if he kicked people in the butt?

As horrible as this figure looks, I can't see why he's not pegwarming hard.
He's got one of those collapsible-expandable feet that can shrink or enlarge with the press of a button. yeah that's it. :rolleyes:

He's not pegwarming around here with the Hot Wheels scalper-speculators buying him up simply because he's Vader. Yeah they even told me that.

I finally found two of him, and that's enough for me. Now that I've seen him up close, I don't understand all the who-ha for this figure either.

El Chuxter
05-15-2008, 10:06 AM
He's definitely not pegwarming here, either. I believe he's a few to a case, but yesterday was the first I'd seen of him (or the Jumptrooper). I've been seeing Imperial Officer Barbie, Rahm Lightsaberscabbardman, and Britney Sith quite often in these parts, though. (Y'know, with a game actually out, those might sell.)

Mad Slanted Powers
05-15-2008, 10:12 AM
I've been griping about the TFU Vader since seeing pics, since it still bugs me that the baddest guy in the universe could be beaten up like that by anyone other than Palpatine, Obi-Wan, or Luke.I look at it from a different perspective. He took a beating like that, a man who should probably be dead if not for that suit, and he still survived.

El Chuxter
05-15-2008, 10:15 AM
Yeah, but if Joe Schmoe Rebel can do that to a guy who can frigging deflect blaster bolts with his hand, how were they ever the underdogs?

CaptainSolo1138
05-15-2008, 01:17 PM
Whatever. You're complaining without ever having seen the media on which the figure is based. How do you know the engorged foot in question isn't part of the story? I thought my Hanger Duel Anakin had a broken arm until I saw AotC. And then I felt really stupid for complaining but at least I didn't start a thread dedicated to it.:mad::mad::mad:

Battle Droid
05-15-2008, 01:46 PM
You know what they say about big feet.

Big shoes.lol

Dark Marble
05-15-2008, 03:36 PM
I really like this figure, it is a new take on a figure we can't get much variety out of.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-15-2008, 07:47 PM
I think the idea is pretty cool but the execution leaves something to be desired. For instance, the lens is quite a bit above the actual eye; I know this is how it actually is, at least for Hayden or Sebastian, but they could have fudged it to not make it look so odd. There's also a huge, perfectly circular hole in his skin where the armor plugs into, and a useless thing to attach to his arm that falls off if you move his elbow.

El Chuxter
05-15-2008, 09:31 PM
That's pretty much what I was trying to get at. I don't like the "Vader getting his arse kicked" angle, but it's been run into the ground, and the idea could make for a nice looking figure. The execution is absolutely horrid. The one I saw had more flesh-colored paint on his armor than on his exposed flesh. :eek:

JediTricks
05-15-2008, 09:44 PM
I really like this figure, I don't think it's perfect, it has execution issues, but the level of griping over it perplexes me.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-15-2008, 10:01 PM
He's the only TFU figure I have a remote interest in buying. I've passed on Chalkwhite Trash, GI Janeeda, and Slipknot (featuring Korny) many a time, and have not seen any others in non-scalper locations.

Deoxyribonucleic
05-16-2008, 01:09 PM
Whatever. You're complaining without ever having seen the media on which the figure is based. How do you know the engorged foot in question isn't part of the story? I thought my Hanger Duel Anakin had a broken arm until I saw AotC. And then I felt really stupid for complaining but at least I didn't start a thread dedicated to it.:mad::mad::mad:

whatever EU lover :rolleyes:

CaptainSolo1138
05-16-2008, 01:36 PM
whatever EU lover :rolleyes:Whatever. You "OT" people think you're so superior in every way because your movies didn't suck and had "development" and "plot" and "real" "characters". Did Han ever woo the pants off of Natalie Portman by feeding her a pear from two yards out?! I bet your precious Lando couldn't even do that. He'd be too busy "setting the tone for the next chapter" or something. Whatevs.

Darth Cruel
05-16-2008, 02:20 PM
I know that Vader got his butt handed to him in this game, but wasn't it by like 100 rebels? And he still won?

2-1B
05-16-2008, 06:15 PM
My God, this piece of garbage might actually be worse than the lovechild of Rocket Attack R5-D4 and Monkey-Faced Leia.

I really like this figure, I don't think it's perfect, it has execution issues, but the level of griping over it perplexes me.

Agreed, I don't understand why so many people whine and complain about R5-D4. The connected leg base isn't the greatest but it's not that hard to cut it out. If you don't like the rocket firing feature, well, I don't like it either but the figure's body can easily be glued together. There are plenty of kids who like that part of the figure, but then collectors complain about it and it's frustrating because they seem so joyless to me. Pretty sad.

stillakid
05-16-2008, 07:15 PM
Agreed, I don't understand why so many people whine and complain about R5-D4. The connected leg base isn't the greatest but it's not that hard to cut it out. If you don't like the rocket firing feature, well, I don't like it either but the figure's body can easily be glued together. There are plenty of kids who like that part of the figure, but then collectors complain about it and it's frustrating because they seem so joyless to me. Pretty sad.

The missile thing was always a mystery to me, but I didn't really mind it. I mean, if you didn't like it, then don't f'ing open it up. How g'damed hard is that?

But I did buy the remote controlled version from StarWars.com. Not only does it look like the droid, but it also moves around! If anyone is still b'ching about R5 after that became available, then they should be ignored.

JediTricks
05-16-2008, 07:22 PM
Agreed, I don't understand why so many people whine and complain about R5-D4. The connected leg base isn't the greatest but it's not that hard to cut it out. If you don't like the rocket firing feature, well, I don't like it either but the figure's body can easily be glued together. There are plenty of kids who like that part of the figure, but then collectors complain about it and it's frustrating because they seem so joyless to me. Pretty sad.Good thing that's exactly the same, and not totally different, or your posting that would make you look like a doof.

TFU Vader's execution is pretty good, nowhere near the poor job of POTF2 R5-D4.

The missile thing was always a mystery to me, but I didn't really mind it. I mean, if you didn't like it, then don't f'ing open it up. How g'damed hard is that?

But I did buy the remote controlled version from StarWars.com. Not only does it look like the droid, but it also moves around! If anyone is still b'ching about R5 after that became available, then they should be ignored.The problem with the POTF2 R5-D4 isn't the missile itself, but the execution of the figure with the missile as the central aspect to the design philosophy. If there was no missile, they probably wouldn't have included guns on the hips, and they certainly wouldn't have made the dome too tall or the middle leg oversized, there wouldn't have been a spring and tab at the bottom. They sacrificed too much for an action feature, and it was an action feature NOBODY wanted.

TFU Vader doesn't fall into that category.

There are still people b'ching about TSC (The Saga Collection, now you know so don't give me crap again when I use it next time the way you always do) R5-D4 because of the missing rear paint and easily-lost antenna.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-17-2008, 03:11 PM
Kind of like with the removable helmet Snowtroopers, eh? ;)

El Chuxter
05-17-2008, 03:13 PM
Well, you've got to admit he got you good right there.

Rocketboy
05-17-2008, 11:59 PM
Oh, that is too f*cking funny!

DarkArtist
05-18-2008, 04:30 PM
I like this figure. I mean I agree the foot is huge but still a cool figure. one of my favorite Vaders to date.

Mad Slanted Powers
05-19-2008, 01:08 AM
Maybe the foot is larger because it got smashed and flattened out.

Kidhuman
05-19-2008, 05:45 AM
Maybe the foot is larger because it got smashed and flattened out.

Or Hasbro's quality control sucks

JediTricks
05-19-2008, 04:48 PM
Why don't we ask them? I'll add the question now.