PDA

View Full Version : The really sad thing about Indiana Jones IV

El Chuxter
05-15-2008, 02:09 AM
Someone should have taken this golden opportunity to re-release the first three Indiana Jones soundtracks. Wait, scratch that: they should've re-released the first and third, and released the second for the first time in this country!

Raiders has been out of print for years. The cheapest copy I can find in a cursory search is about $70.

Last Crusade hasn't been out of print as long, but I can't find any cheaper than about $30.

Temple of Doom was never released on CD domestically for some reason, and it looks like it starts around $95. :eek:

None of these are on iTunes or any other legal source. Yet these are three of the most iconic, recognizable scores by one of the world's best known composers, and there's obviously a demand for them.

I'm lucky. I copied Raiders from a friend a few years ago, and bought a used copy of Last Crusade shortly after it went out of print. For Temple of Doom, I've got the one track on Williams' greatest hits collection. Most people, I'm sure, don't have even that much.

Heck, the scores that were released are far from complete. Two-disc sets like the SW soundtracks from 1997 would be really nice to have.

Just a missed opportunity. I guess illegal file-swapping gets another inadvertent vote of support from the labels. :rolleyes:

JON9000
05-15-2008, 09:13 PM
Strangely enough, soundtracks can really hold their value and get insanely expensive if they go out of print, even the really obsccure ones, to say nothing of Indy. Who knows, when the new soundtrack comes out, perhaps a release of the old ones isn't far behind.

El Chuxter
05-15-2008, 09:19 PM
I dunno. KOTCS comes out in a week or two, but there's absolutely no info on the other three.

As someone who finally gave up on trying to find a lot of older scores by John Williams and Danny Elfman, believe me that I know those things are insanely overpriced on the secondary market. It really looks like the various companies that published them would realize people want them, and at least release them through iTunes or another online service.

JediTricks
05-15-2008, 10:15 PM
A friend of mine let me borrow his copies, and while they're very good, they're also somewhat incomplete. Now would have been a good time to SE those soundtracks.

2-1B
05-16-2008, 06:23 PM
People actually listen to movie scores other than during the movie ?

Slicker
05-16-2008, 09:00 PM
People actually listen to movie scores other than during the movie ?
I personally love listening to the soundtracks from Star Wars. John Williams is a God.:love:

2-1B
05-17-2008, 11:00 AM
yeah, but Star Wars aren't just movies...they are the sustenance of life. All 6 of them.

Ji'dai
05-17-2008, 05:01 PM
I was wondering if we might see special editions of the OT Indy soundtracks released. I'd get them just to have backups of the copies I have.

I got the Last Crusade soundtrack when it was originally released and I bought imports of Raiders and TOD soundtracks through the Lucasfilm Fanclub in the early 90s. All three discs are a bit battered but none the worse for the wear. They've been getting a workout recently in my car :D

JediTricks
05-17-2008, 05:16 PM
I was wondering if we might see special editions of the OT Indy soundtracks released. I'd get them just to have backups of the copies I have.

I got the Last Crusade soundtrack when it was originally released and I bought imports of Raiders and TOD soundtracks through the Lucasfilm Fanclub in the early 90s. All three discs are a bit battered but none the worse for the wear. They've been getting a workout recently in my car :D
Make copies now before it's too late. And start using the copies instead of the originals (unless you have an older CD player that can't do CD-Rs).

Ji'dai
05-17-2008, 05:23 PM
Yeah, I think I will make copies. You guys are scaring me with all this talk of not being able to replace them, at least not affordably.

Devo
05-17-2008, 07:46 PM
My 'holy grail' soundtracks are Alien 3, Predator 1, Die Hard 1 and Starship troopers. If I can get those then my soundtrack hunting days are finally over, unless something new and mindblowing comes out - but thats rarer and rarer these days.

Incidentally I just picked up the IndyIV OS today. Seems ok. Sufficiently Indyish but to be honest I find most of Williams recent stuff pretty interchangeable. His best is behind him.

El Chuxter
05-17-2008, 07:55 PM
I still get anything new by Williams and Elfman, and try to remember to get those by James Newton Howard as well, but they get less and less interesting for the most part. (Well, except for Williams' "blockbuster scores," which get better, but he seems to do fewer of them all the time.) Elfman hasn't done anything amazing since Big Fish (as much as I liked Corpse Bride, it was almost "Nightmare Before Christmas II" score-wise).

The only recent soundtrack I've heard that compelled me to get it was Speed Racer (especially if you like the original music). I downloaded it today, as it's much cheaper digitally than on CD. And you can add the surprisingly catchy techno-pop song from the end credits, if you're so inclined, which isn't on the score album.

JediTricks
05-18-2008, 11:15 PM
Incidentally I just picked up the IndyIV OS today. Seems ok. Sufficiently Indyish but to be honest I find most of Williams recent stuff pretty interchangeable. His best is behind him.I totally agree about Williams making his sounds interchangeable lately, I'm glad someone voiced that as it's been really disappointing to me. Catch Me if you Can was the only real respite from that as it was jazz instead of classical, and he did an amazing job there.

El Chuxter
05-18-2008, 11:32 PM
He's been doing a lot of choral stuff. I really like the ROTS soundtrack, and his other stuff is good, though it does seem to "allude" to earlier works.

(EG, "Buckbeak's Flight" sounds like it's from ESB or ET, "Across the Stars" sounds like the flight theme from Hook, even parts of ROTS sound like Nixon.)

Devo
05-19-2008, 01:22 PM
Y'see maybe its bias - he scored many of my favourite, repeatedly viewed films so I'm paying particular attention to those scores and paying little to no attention to the recent, less iconic films he's worked on - and I'm just wearing...nostalgia earphones :Ponder::ermm: but, to me, his soundtrack for A new Hope was distinctly A New Hope, his soundtrack for ESB was distinctly ESB, the score for Jurassic Park was distinctly Jurassic park. But for most of his scores these days, including the bulk of the music from the SW prequels, it all sounds very samey - particularly action cues. Y'know? Maybe you're listening to Minority report but then again maybe its Attack of the Clones or War of the Worlds - with only a sometime (and not always decently incorporated) referance to a Star wars theme helping you to know for sure that, yeah, its AOTC. My essential point is that I think his older scores were identifiably from a particular film even in their less obvious moments whilst his recent scores and the majority of music in each score, is overall less listenable, less distinguished and really does sound like it could be this film or that film - its still identifiably John Williams - like an Alan Silvestri score is identiably Alan Silvestri - but none of it sounds as good as he used to do.

JediTricks
05-19-2008, 04:32 PM
His older scores were very specific to the movie they were in, not because they came from that movie, but because they were written about that movie. Today there are some cues from AOTC and ROTS that reek of Harry Potter pieces, it's like his mood is now where the work comes from rather than the scenes they're going into.

I don't really care for the choral work he's been doing lately, I don't like that style in general, it feels too manipulative and overwrought. In ROTJ it worked because it cast the Emperor in a wholly different light from every other piece of music, and was used sparingly.

El Chuxter
05-19-2008, 04:36 PM
I could argue against that, if I wanted. Look at Superman, Dracula, and ESB. Three very different movies, with scores written within about a 2-3 year period. Superman is first, ESB is third, and Dracula is most definitely a hodgepodge of expanded Superman themes and undeveloped ESB themes. A damned good soundtrack, if you can find it, but he's been doing this all along. (Admittedly, Dracula probably fell through the cracks in 1979, since the movie sucks hard, and he wasn't doing this sort of thing with the "higher profile" soundtracks then.)

El Chuxter
05-19-2008, 04:39 PM
Sorry 'bout the double post, but I just got an e-mail that my Crystal Skull CD shipped today from the Amazon facility in southern California. Based on prior experiences, I should likely have it tomorrow or Wednesday, or by Friday at the absolute latest. :thumbsup::beard:

JediTricks
05-19-2008, 05:21 PM
I dunno Chux, 1941 has a pretty original score. I think the material is what the problem was there, when left with a vacuum of quality material he fell back on standards. Close Encounters doesn't sound like Star Wars or Superman or 1941 or ESB or ET or Raiders or Temple of Doom. I don't remember the music from Spacecamp, all I can remember is the dopey robot Jinx and the other dopey robot, Kate Capshaw. :p After that period, he does start repeating his sounds more, Last Crusade has some more generic stuff (and I don't mean generic Indy stuff, I mean generic Williams stuff) even though it is a solid score, and Hook & Home Alone kinda get schmaltzy.

El Chuxter
05-19-2008, 05:30 PM
Well, there is a reason Hook and Home Alone both get schmaltzy. ;) I've never heard 1941 in its entirety, but what I have heard of it is good. I chose not to actually argue the point beyond pointing out one example of him doing it previously since I knew it wouldn't hold up to closer scrutiny. :D

I think even his latest stuff is better than his 1960s TV and "obscure crappy film" work. However, the Parade of the Ewoks shows up in almost the exact same form in his score to a really carpy-looking movie called Fitzwilly.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-20-2008, 10:44 PM
Someone should have taken this golden opportunity to re-release the first three Indiana Jones soundtracks. Wait, scratch that: they should've re-released the first and third, and released the second for the first time in this country!

Raiders ... is about $70.

Last Crusade ... about $30.

Temple of Doom ... starts around $95. :eek:
... For Temple of Doom, I've got the one track on Williams' greatest hits collection. Most people, I'm sure, don't have even that much.

Heck, the scores that were released are far from complete. Two-disc sets like the SW soundtracks from 1997 would be really nice to have.Well, Bel-Cam Cheapo got RotLA for about $15, ToD for $10 (store closing sale about 5 years ago), LC for $9.99, and I do have the JW greatest movie hits CD.

I look forward to KotCS soon.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-23-2008, 12:07 AM
I look forward to KotCS soon.Picked it up today, but I'll listen to it while heading to Universal Studios to ride The Simpsons Ride there, maybe find something Indiana Jones-related there, too.

JediTricks
05-23-2008, 01:15 AM
I didn't like IJ4's score. :(

Bel-Cam Jos
05-24-2008, 10:44 AM
I didn't like IJ4's score. :(The CD has the songs out of plot order (which is always odd, but not a problem). It's not bad. Having 19 tracks is nice, some long and some quick ones.

2-1B
05-25-2008, 01:38 PM
I didn't like IJ4's score. :(

Too many areas sounded like the prequels score, to my ears. At some points, I thought I was listening to the AOTC Coruscant Speeder chase music or the ROTS Mustafar duel.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-25-2008, 03:59 PM
Too many areas sounded like the prequels score, to my ears. At some points, I thought I was listening to the AOTC Coruscant Speeder chase music or the ROTS Mustafar duel.Yes, 2-1B, I was thinking the same thing during IJ, but I did not take that as a negative.

indyjones1981
05-26-2008, 02:24 PM
Hello Bel-Cam Jos & El Chuxter. THis is for you.
The Indy4 soundtrack was classic Williams. Also read this on Starwars.com see below.

"This fall, Concord Music Group will also reissue the soundtracks to the original Indiana Jones trilogy, which have been out of print for nearly a decade, as part of a four-CD boxed set."

Yahoo! About time! Just had to be patient.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-26-2008, 11:08 PM
Hello Bel-Cam Jos & El Chuxter. THis is for you.
The Indy4 soundtrack was classic Williams. Also read this on Starwars.com see below....

Yahoo! About time! Just had to be patient.Thanks! I have to wonder if there will be any "bonus" material.

I've listened to it a couple more times, and as is often the case, I like it more. Good grading-papers-on-the-couch music. :pleased:

Bel-Cam Jos
05-31-2008, 06:21 PM
The more I've listened to it, the better it gets. The C. Skull's theme is creepy good, and the Mutt's theme (I'd call it that, as it's usually when he's doing something active) is exciting good. Great mix of the familiar with the new, quiet with the speedy. Awesome job as always, Mr. Williams! (as if he's reading this post... :rolleyes: )

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-26-2008, 12:04 PM
This should make a few of you happy.

http://www.theraider.net/news/fullstory_merchandise.php?id=930

:thumbsup:

El Chuxter
10-26-2008, 01:32 PM
Hmm. Why include Crystal Skull in there? Anyone who wants this set has it. Even I have it, and I've still not seen the movie and am in no hurry to do so.

2-1B
10-26-2008, 08:52 PM
Hmm. Why include Crystal Skull in there?

Because it wouldn't be the complete set !

And because then they couldn't force you to double dip.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
11-11-2008, 08:12 PM
I listened to these today and I noticed that they're not as "complete" as the bootleg complete scores I've had for some time. Sure, the older ones are a bit less than CD quality, but at least they're fuller. I think I was missing about 7 minutes from TOD and I don't recall specifics, but both LC and ROTLA weren't near the amount of runtime that the boots were.

They do sound terrific though.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-03-2009, 10:35 PM
I found a good deal online on all four movies in the same set, and there are about 13 extra songs total. But, yeah, KotCS is the exact same version. Anyone not have one that they want for a cheap price; never been used? :rolleyes: