PDA

View Full Version : Sideshow Darth Vader.

plasticfetish
05-16-2008, 12:41 AM
"He's more Machine now than Man..."

So, the latest Sideshow newsletter (the one that I got just about 30 minutes ago) has a link to a teaser for what I'm guessing is a 12-inch Vader figure. Problem is, I can't get the link to work. Every time I hit it, I seem to get an error message.

Should I be guessing that we're all doing the same thing, and their server is a bit overloaded? ;)

edit: oh, and the link BTW...

http://www.sideshowtoy.com/?p=4832&source=051508news

Mvader91
05-16-2008, 02:01 AM
It is anakin with sith eyes is what I saw?

plasticfetish
05-16-2008, 02:07 AM
Yeah, the clip shows the older Anakin figure, but it's the "breathing" sound that hints at what's to come.

sergiurusu
05-16-2008, 06:27 AM
Finally Vader!! Cool!:thumbsup:

The Vader we are talking about is in the back (like a shadow only) - see attached pic

Blue2th
05-16-2008, 09:40 AM
Yeah Baby! I'm all over this one!

Darth Cruel
05-16-2008, 12:49 PM
there is no doubt about it. The write-up is pretty clear that this IS the armored Vader. Which version is anybody's guess. But it doesn't matter to me.

Mvader91
05-16-2008, 01:00 PM
Sweet have to get two. One open one loose.

Darth Cruel
05-16-2008, 01:22 PM
Sweet have to get two. One open one loose.

What's the difference?

J/K - I know what you mean. Me too.

JediTricks
05-16-2008, 06:05 PM
Anything but ROTS would be great. And I really hope they can get this one done for under $90, I mean the guy doesn't need accessories even beyond movie-specific lightsaber on and off (and that's the same hilt twice, just with a blade glued into one, we're not stupid SSC, we know!).

Blue2th
05-16-2008, 06:22 PM
So too soon to speculate on the exclusive accessory? Will we get a mousedroid perhaps?

I don't suppose we'll get a removable helmet. It sure would be cool, but we've been down this road before, and it hasn't happened yet.

My talking Vader with removable helmet is still my favorite Hasbro.

plasticfetish
05-16-2008, 06:43 PM
And I really hope they can get this one done for under $90Oh no... you know this one's going to be expensive. I'm expecting it to break the $100 mark.

JediTricks
05-16-2008, 08:52 PM
Oh no... you know this one's going to be expensive. I'm expecting it to break the $100 mark.
I hope not, at that point it's directly competing with imports like Hot Toys & Medicom who can do that sort of thing very well. Also, Vader doesn't require much paint or "soft goods" clothing or separate accessories. The basic figures are around $60 right now, over $100 would be a steep incline from that.

If they do ESB Vader, perhaps an alternate "cut" shoulder armor, or smoldering right hand & Han's ESB blaster would make good exclusives. I can't think of anything for the ANH or ROTJ versions though, and I don't want to think about an ROTS version at all. :p

Jayspawn
05-16-2008, 08:53 PM
Anything but ROTS would be great. And I really hope they can get this one done for under $90, I mean the guy doesn't need accessories even beyond movie-specific lightsaber on and off (and that's the same hilt twice, just with a blade glued into one, we're not stupid SSC, we know!).

Not gonna happen. I'm betting $120 at least for Vader. Sideshow has for the most part lost me as a customer (which I do think really sucks). They will reallly have to impress me with detail and accessories for the price.

sergiurusu
05-17-2008, 12:20 AM
I hope this will be inclusive, everyone wants a Vader, Stormie and Fett...

JediTricks
05-17-2008, 03:20 PM
Yeah, they'd have some nerve if it wasn't. It's funny, right now they're at the point where they could really make things right again and win back a lot of their lost audience with this piece, as well as gain new buyers, but at the same time they could easily screw this up and end up further damaging their line.

sergiurusu
05-18-2008, 01:52 AM
A new Vader pic, not much but still...

Tycho
05-20-2008, 07:38 PM
I wonder what the deal is?

First, does Medicon or Hot Toys make a Vader? If they don't, could SideShow just be offering a Medicon or Hot Toy?

Next, if they made this themselves, will Vader have a removeable helmet?

Variations might be Sebastian or Hayden heads under the helmet (crispy of course).

Accessories? Are you kidding?

Blue2th said MOUSE DROID (for some reason that word has a magical effect on me)
Interrogator Droid
Lightsaber Lit of course
Lightsaber hilt of course
Luke's ROTJ lightsaber (lit)
Luke's ROTJ lightsaber (hilt)
Obi-Wan's ANH lightsaber hilt
Obi-Wan's ANH Jedi Robe
Extra-order Accessory: ROTS operating table - done like Jabba's throne environment
Damaged armor
Damaged / cut-off hand / stump from ROTJ
extra head (Christiansen or Shaw as an accessory)
Han's blaster
chunck of cut machinery from Bespin Duel or tool boxes from the same scene
binders to keep Leia prisoner (or Han, or Chewie)

Maybe there's even more possibilities. In any case, a few of these ought to be included with the figure anyway, just so the perceived value is higher, because you know the price will be.

They've built a whole business model on increasing their margin for the collectible because they can deem it "high end" and of limited production. I'd love to see proof that selling these figures for $20 like Hasbro did would bankrupt them. Next, would $30-50 work. WHAT actually IS their profit margin?

I'm just curious. I have a list of characters that I'd buy 12" of - Vader's NOT actually one of them (incidentally Aayla Secura IS), but as I said: I'm just curious.

plasticfetish
05-20-2008, 11:47 PM
First, does Medicon or Hot Toys make a Vader? If they don't, could SideShow just be offering a Medicon or Hot Toy?Yes, Medicom made a Vader as part of their "Real Action Heroes" line a few years ago. (See image below.) No, I don't think that it's just them selling Medicom's Vader. They've indicated (see post #1) that they've got people "working" on this one.

sergiurusu
05-21-2008, 01:17 AM
In fact Medicom made 2 Vaders: ROTS and ROTJ. This one is definitely Sideshow Vader, not Medicom. Can't wait to see it :)

jedibear
05-21-2008, 01:25 AM
It will be interesting to see Sideshow's take on Darth Vader at last.

And yes, I think that Vader is definitely going to break a "C" note for the price.
Think about it...the forthcoming General Kenobi is $90. already...

I won't be surprised to see multiple versions of him from the various films, the first of course, being ANH. That will most likely affect the selection of accessories for him, as well as eliminating another potential issue that rears it's head with Sideshow figures on occasion...bad paint apps on the head sculpt.
I don't think the first version will include a removable helmet (or alternate portrait) version...they'll save that for the ROTJ version.

I'm looking forward to this guy, but I hope Sideshow takes whatever time they need to assure he's at his best. I'm really needing to see something for this line that really piques my interest again...it's starting to flag a bit. If anyone can do it, it's Lord Vader!

sergiurusu
05-21-2008, 01:38 AM
I'm totally with you!!:thumbsup:

JEDIpartner
05-22-2008, 01:51 PM
I have to get this one. I'm not big into the 12" market, but this is one of the ones I really want.

Turambar
05-25-2008, 09:51 PM
If the vader turns out well, I hope that means we will start seeing some armored characters from sideshow mixed in the the others.