PDA

View Full Version : The new cardbacks for this series...

JEDIpartner
05-19-2008, 12:40 PM
Is it just me or do you find these to be a little underwhelming? The colour of the packaging isn't bad, but the cartoony Stormtrooper and the lack of anything really dynamic is sort of a big disappointment. This is coming from someone who doesn't even collect on-card!!

*sigh*

Devo
05-19-2008, 12:54 PM
Yep, not overwhelming and not even whelming. Pretty boring. But then I'd prefer if they'd just find one good packaging design (Vintage or OTC) and stick with it for the entirety of the line.

Ji'dai
05-19-2008, 01:35 PM
I don't really care for it, but that cardback will definitely stand out in an overcrowded action figure aisle. They have to do whatever it takes to attract attention to the line in a crowded market. Personally, I collect for the figures and not the packaging. My packaging ends up in a box in the garage attic.

A lot of toy companies even send out little "street signs" that their retail partners hang out from the top shelves over the toy sections to help show customers where their favorite brands are located in the aisle. I spotted Indiana Jones signs for the first time this week.

Deoxyribonucleic
05-19-2008, 01:40 PM
Is it just me or do you find these to be a little underwhelming? The colour of the packaging isn't bad, but the cartoony Stormtrooper and the lack of anything really dynamic is sort of a big disappointment. This is coming from someone who doesn't even collect on-card!!

*sigh*

No, it's not just you. I am mostly an opener too, however lines like VOTC and VSC I kept on the cards and some of the TAC figs as well because I really dig how the entire package plus figure looks together. In a sense, it's got artistic value to me. However, this new design is in no way attractive and since there is very little so far that I'm interested in, everything will be an opener this year 'round with the packaging gladly donated to my recycle bin.

Yep, not overwhelming and not even whelming. Pretty boring. But then I'd prefer if they'd just find one good packaging design (Vintage or OTC) and stick with it for the entirety of the line.

Agreed.

El Chuxter
05-19-2008, 02:08 PM
It's more underwhelming that they're using that same Vader again. He's on the verge of taking over Cantina Han's record for "most unnecessary re-releases."

Blue2th
05-19-2008, 02:38 PM
What the, is that part of the card in front? or is it Anakin-Vader's new Clone Wars footlocker? It looks out of place as part of the card.

I'm glad I have gotten over my completist ways a while back (at least with Star Wars) these cards asuck. Yay I get to shave shome moneys.

I can't say I'm not a completest with at least the new kick-*ss Gi Joe 25th cards, those are the exception. They rock!

Beast
05-19-2008, 03:08 PM
I think the card looks pretty good.

But then I'm sick of dark colored cards. They make the toy aisle look so dreary.

Deoxyribonucleic
05-19-2008, 03:39 PM
What the, is that part of the card in front? or is it Anakin-Vader's new Clone Wars footlocker? It looks out of place as part of the card.

Good question!! What is that thing? Anyone?

sebillba
05-19-2008, 04:15 PM

Didn't I read somewhere the figures will be coming with a little pack of spare weapons?

JediTricks
05-19-2008, 04:21 PM
Yes, that is the weapons locker for the clone gear.

I think these look really bad, very flat and underwhelming. The TAC cars, while I didn't love the general motif, was bright and used the right colors and had big, character-specific art. This is light but not bright, it's just plain, and using blue is a HUGE mistake as blue is a color which fails in marketing (red sells, blue slumps). The blister on this cardback makes the figure seem unimportant and just loosely "out there". And worst of all IMO, this harkens back to some of the worst aspects of the ROTS packaging. Bleh!

Jargo
05-19-2008, 04:40 PM
the way the figure is posed makes it look dumb. monkey arms or something. the cardback must be a lot cheaper to produce in mostly white. there's still too much blister plastic though.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-19-2008, 06:41 PM
the way the figure is posed makes it look dumb. monkey arms or something. the cardback must be a lot cheaper to produce in mostly white. there's still too much blister plastic though.
I bet it's also cheaper now that they're using one single card across the line (except for the back, of course). I'm not really sold on this . . . when I first saw the TAC design I hated it but not I really love it. With this I don't really have a strong feeling one way or the other, it's just kind of "there."

As to the figures themselves, I'm quite glad they're doing the super-awesome SBD (seemingly without the fire or holes), I'll definitely get a ton of them. I'll also likely get more AOTC clones, now without the coin but thankfully with more "gear" (which I hope at least includes some rifles).

Blue2th
05-19-2008, 06:51 PM
I think the card looks pretty good.

But then I'm sick of dark colored cards. They make the toy aisle look so dreary......and bleak :)

I don't mind the color, I think it's kinda refreshing, but the design is as mentioned, so ROTS, which is the worst design ever in the history of Star Wars cardbacks.

So we get a Gi joe footlocker with every figure huh? Oh happy joy. :rolleyes:

They are white so maybe every clone we have in our massive armies gets a footlocker... hmm that's alot of em.

jedimastergeorge06
05-19-2008, 07:01 PM
When is the legacy collection suppose to come out and is it going to be like midnight madness or is it when the store opens thats when you can get them?

Snowtrooper
05-19-2008, 09:49 PM
Don't care much for the card at all. After the exciting SAGA2 and TAC cardbacks, this is just really plain. They ought to just put the figures in those white mailer boxes.

As for being cheaper to produce, I don't know. Having the front one design probably saves money, but its a more complicated cutout then the plain square of TAC and VTAC. I've also heard that this type of cardback also uses more plastic then the TAC does. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Blue2th
05-19-2008, 10:37 PM
At POTF2 they have the pics of the rest of the new er..."Legends" http://www.potf2.com/potj/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13369

As someone said over there "here we go again"

Maradona
05-20-2008, 12:27 AM
I just hope the cards do not utilize tape to adhere the bubble. Tape, like dust, is the enemy of all collectors...

El Chuxter
05-20-2008, 12:56 AM
It's nice that they actually take into account which figures are most demanding, most in need of a re-release, and were toughest to find, then issue that damned ROTS Vaderkin AGAIN.

jedi master sal
05-20-2008, 10:42 AM

It's a weapons storage locker.

There will be 5 weapons in each locker. The weapons will be the same for each figure, so it's not necessary to buy each figure in hopes of getting different weapons packed in.

Hasbro has not yet released the info on which 5 weapons are included, though the prevailing guesses are:
2 clone rifles
1 clone blaster
2 clone pistol (think the little biker scout guns)

I wouldn't mind that assortment, however, I'd prefer 3 rifles and two blasters; or 4 rifles and a blaster. Many of the clones thus far have come with blasters and all of the AOTC should have come with rifles.

Hasbro is doing this in response to previous Q&A sessions regarding replacement weapons. Though this doesn't resolve the questions for hero specific weapons like specific lightsabers.

-Sal

JediTricks
05-20-2008, 04:52 PM
I just hope the cards do not utilize tape to adhere the bubble. Tape, like dust, is the enemy of all collectors...Pretty sure they will, the bubble goes to the edge of the card on 3 sides, generally when that's the case they weld the bottom and tape the sides.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-20-2008, 05:39 PM
It's nice that they actually take into account which figures are most demanding, most in need of a re-release, and were toughest to find, then issue that damned ROTS Vaderkin AGAIN.
This line is mainly to feature movie-style versions of characters from the Clone Wars movie/show. But I'd prefer they re-release this awesome Anakin as opposed to the first ROTS one, even though I won't be getting it.

El Chuxter
05-20-2008, 05:43 PM
That is the first ROTS one, isn't it?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-20-2008, 05:57 PM
That is the first ROTS one, isn't it?
Nope, it's the TAC one, modified from the Evolutions set.

Devo
05-20-2008, 08:15 PM
I was wondering if y'all were mistaking it for the crappy 1st rots Anakin - its because of the posing of the arms in the packaging - it looks like the stupid wonky arm action feature.

El Chuxter
05-20-2008, 08:45 PM
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. My bad, Mr JJL.

bobafrett
05-21-2008, 07:18 AM
I'm digging it, because it's a Stormtrooper instead of Vader, but if that's a clone trooper, then I'm not digging it so much. I collect carded figures, and I think the whiteness of the card back will make it obvious when I try to sneak new figures into my overcrowded collection. My fiance will bust me red handed, even without catching me coming in the door with the new finds.

JEDIpartner
05-21-2008, 02:59 PM
And made the card look like this... LOL

I threw that together in 10 minutes. It has more dignity than the new cards and is equally simple in design.

jedi master sal
05-22-2008, 09:45 AM
And made the card look like this... LOL

I threw that together in 10 minutes. It has more dignity than the new cards and is equally simple in design.

Hey, that's not half bad Dale.

Harkens back to the EPI cards, has some vintage touches to it, and it's a CLEAN design. Not muddied up by too many graphics or die cuts. Makes the FIGURE the centerpiece, not the artwork.

Good job!

JEDIpartner
05-22-2008, 02:31 PM
Hey, that's not half bad Dale.

Harkens back to the EPI cards, has some vintage touches to it, and it's a CLEAN design. Not muddied up by too many graphics or die cuts. Makes the FIGURE the centerpiece, not the artwork.

Good job!

Thanks, bro! The fact that I can cobble that together from odds and ends in 10 minutes and we get a card that some Lame-arellas at a design and marketing firm spent months on just blows my mind.

I mean, they can still have a groovy looking bubble and house the additional accessories in the lower corner kinda makes it a win-win for the collector and the manufacturer alike. This format would also ship easily.

dindae
05-23-2008, 10:56 AM
Ultimately it doesn't matter much to me, but I definately prefer something with a larger figure specific artwork on the card like TAC or Vintage. I don't like tape because it is harder to open and easier for people to swap figures and return them. I understand the Clone head for the clone Wars and that the Stormie head is good to mirror it. But I have a feeling it is going to blend together for everyone but the fans.

Old Fossil
05-23-2008, 12:38 PM
I don't like them. Too similar to the ROTS design, which aged poorly. The design also looks like it will use too much paper and plastic. More for our landfills.

JEDIpartner
06-12-2008, 02:06 PM
I know... they need to keep things simple.

obi-dad
06-13-2008, 08:06 AM
In the end, I really don't care. I'm not a carded collector, so ultimately, it doesn't matter too much to me (even though I haven't opened many figures in the past few years). However, I'm really not that impressed with the designs, although I do appreciate that what Hasbro was trying to accomplish with the clone/stormtrooper designs. For non-vintage cardbacks, I guess I liked the OTC ones the best... at least I think that was the name of the collection I'm thinking of. The one where Dagobah Luke with interchangable arms came out.

bigbarada
06-15-2008, 06:40 PM
These cards will save me a lot of money since there is no chance that I will buy duplicates to keep carded of any of these figures.

The TAC, vintage and GI Joe 25th Anniversary lines have all cost me money since I would often buy two of every figure that I liked to keep carded and, in some cases, would buy figures I wasn't too enthusiastic about because I liked the cards they were on (for example, VTAC Endor Leia, Hoth Han and Bespin Luke). I don't have to worry about that this year.

AmanaMatt
06-16-2008, 02:11 AM
These new cardbacks are pretty awful - Hasbro took a giant step backwards with these. They are so bad, I may keep just one carded - to have - and open the rest.

jedi master sal
06-16-2008, 09:56 AM
These new cardbacks are pretty awful - Hasbro took a giant step backwards with these. They are so bad, I may keep just one carded - to have - and open the rest.

But which one to keep carded?

Blue2th
06-16-2008, 11:52 AM

It has to be Vader right? He's going to be the rarest.

obi-dad
06-16-2008, 11:55 AM
No, the only correct response to these cardbacks to to burn them all and recycle the plastic. :rolleyes:

Blue2th
06-16-2008, 12:07 PM
No, the only correct response to these cardbacks to to burn them all and recycle the plastic. :rolleyes:

No don't burn them. Paper is highly recycleable. Just separate the two, and put them in different bags if required, drop them off at your local recycle center.

JediTricks
06-16-2008, 11:29 PM
No, you guys have it all wrong. The best thing to do is to return the packaging to the store, and since you're usually replacing an older figure when you buy these, you may as well recycle that figure at the store too. I gather the packaging's CRV is somewhere around $7.99 a pop, I'll be glad to redeem that. ;)

obi-dad
06-17-2008, 08:15 AM
No, you guys have it all wrong. The best thing to do is to return the packaging to the store, and since you're usually replacing an older figure when you buy these, you may as well recycle that figure at the store too. I gather the packaging's CRV is somewhere around $7.99 a pop, I'll be glad to redeem that. ;)

Ahhh and so many bad old figures to choose from... :shocked:

sith_killer_99
06-17-2008, 09:18 AM

The only logical choice...a Stormtrooper.

I agree these look horrible, I now have a new least favorite card back collection. Worse that the ROTS...and now, unbelievably, worse than the Saga blue cards.

Hasbro never ceases to inspire...then disappoint, inspire, then disappoint. The sad part is, I "get" what they were trying to do here, they just couldn't pull it off very well.

IMO, they should stick with the rectangular cards, in this case they might have gone with a Stormtrooper helmet in the corner ala POTF2 or even something along the lines of the TAC Canadian cards with all Stormtroopers (instead of Darth Vader). Either of those would have been much better.

obi-dad
06-17-2008, 09:25 AM
IMO, they should stick with the rectangular cards, in this case they might have gone with a Stormtrooper helmet in the corner ala POTF2 or even something along the lines of the TAC Canadian cards with all Stormtroopers (instead of Darth Vader). Either of those would have been much better.

Agreed... there are so many things they could have done which would have been better and still accomplish some sort of tie in between lines.

AmanaMatt
06-25-2008, 09:36 PM

Great question, and without a moments doubt it will be.....

VADER!!!!!

Just kidding. Without a doubt: Yarna!

bkh0501
06-27-2008, 06:45 PM
Maybe because Vader was on a lot of TAC material. He wasn't featured on the cardbacks, except for the Canadian versions. I still don't like the new cardbacks :(

Ji'dai
07-28-2008, 02:45 PM
So, did your opinion about the new cardback & box decos change after July 26?

I didn't really care for the new cardbacks at first, but now that I've seen all those figures and toy boxes in person, I like them. I think the white and blue makes a bold statement and the whole line just feels fresh and exciting. Everything doesn't have to be done in black and silver just because it's Star Wars.

I'm sure most of you already knew this in advance, but I didn't realize until after I got home with my hauls Saturday morning that the cards on the Legacy and Clone Wars have different background images. (Legacy have a stormtrooper helmet while the Clone Wars ones feature a clone trooper helmet).

obi-dad
07-28-2008, 03:11 PM
So, did your opinion about the new cardback & box decos change after July 26?

I didn't really care for the new cardbacks at first, but now that I've seen all those figures and toy boxes in person, I like them. I think the white and blue makes a bold statement and the whole line just feels fresh and exciting. Everything doesn't have to be done in black and silver just because it's Star Wars.

I'm sure most of you already knew this in advance, but I didn't realize until after I got home with my hauls Saturday morning that the cards on the Legacy and Clone Wars have different background images. (Legacy have a stormtrooper helmet while the Clone Wars ones feature a clone trooper helmet).
Yeah... that was known when this thread started back in May... now what I've never read about and not seen is a little print on the back of the card in the middle section, closer to the right and left side. Someone from my local St. Louis site pointed it out to me on the back of a card he found at MM, but when I checked the back of all my cards, I didn't see that. I don't know if it is random (like the 1st day sticker) or maybe it's on the clone wars figures (I didn't buy any). Any one know what the h*** I'm talking about?

Bel-Cam Jos
07-28-2008, 05:42 PM
Yeah... that was known when this thread started back in May... now what I've never read about and not seen is a little print on the back of the card in the middle section, closer to the right and left side. Someone from my local St. Louis site pointed it out to me on the back of a card he found at MM, but when I checked the back of all my cards, I didn't see that. I don't know if it is random (like the 1st day sticker) or maybe it's on the clone wars figures (I didn't buy any). Any one know what the h*** I'm talking about?Depends on what that "a little print" says. There's a triangular sticker near the droid parts clear plastic that says which droid it belongs to; could there be something under that (I haven't pulled off those stickers)?

I kind of like the packaging. I feel dumb that I didn't even notice the Stormtrooper for Legacy and Clone Trooper for the Clone Wars lines until I started opening the figures.

AmanaMatt
07-28-2008, 05:54 PM
Well, I kept three of these figs carded total: two from Legacy and one from Clone Wars. Now that I have them, I still feel these are some of the worst looking card designs ever...generic and unimpressive.

Neuroleptic
07-28-2008, 05:54 PM
I do not like the new card backs one bit, but since I open my figures, It dosn't realy bother me. However, I do think it makes them much more noticeable in stores.

jjreason
07-28-2008, 07:26 PM
I'm fine with them. Any time the packaging changes significantly it makes it easier to see whether or not there are any new figures on the pegs.

Blue2th
07-28-2008, 08:59 PM
The white and blue theme is kinda cool, fresh and exiting in the middle of hot summer. I don't know how this effects anyone subliminally, but It's like going down the ice cream isle at the grocer maybe. All those tasty figures and ships.

I just bought one of each of the realistic style figures, except for 3 of the scuba troopers, and I didn't buy Luke Chewy or pregnant Han.
I intend to open each and every one. I looked at some of the packaging in the store, and some are already separating on the taped seams on the back just like ROTS cards.
No card collecting for me this round, openers all.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-29-2008, 02:57 PM
I really hate the return to the wraparound bubble as seen on the ROTS and TSC figures. The card art is pretty crappy on the stormtrooper; the clone is a little better. I wish there was a picture of the figure or character on the back of the BD figures; it just looks weird without it.

But I like them from afar, as they really stand out. I also like the vehicle/Evolutions/etc. packaging.

sebillba
07-29-2008, 03:33 PM
I'm not sure if this is a variation, but nearly all of my LC cardbacks have a little basic blueprint of an astromech just above the hole in the card where the droid part sits, but one of them (Ak-Rev) has a sort of mechanical crane arm above and around the left of the hole, "holding" the DF logo at each end. Anyone else notice this?

Bel-Cam Jos
07-29-2008, 05:17 PM
I'm not sure if this is a variation, but nearly all of my LC cardbacks have a little basic blueprint of an astromech just above the hole in the card where the droid part sits, but one of them (Ak-Rev) has a sort of mechanical crane arm above and around the left of the hole, "holding" the DF logo at each end. Anyone else notice this?Yeah, I saw that on Ak's and wondered if I'd just missed it somehow on the other cards. Looks cool.

Ji'dai
07-29-2008, 05:29 PM
I'm not sure if this is a variation, but nearly all of my LC cardbacks have a little basic blueprint of an astromech just above the hole in the card where the droid part sits, but one of them (Ak-Rev) has a sort of mechanical crane arm above and around the left of the hole, "holding" the DF logo at each end. Anyone else notice this? Not 'till you mentioned it. The Ak-rev cardback is different than the others. It's got a little robotic arm instead of the astromech "blueprint."

Has anyone peeled off the sticker on the back? What's underneath there, I wonder. A droid with a rocket-firing backpack?

Bel-Cam Jos
07-29-2008, 05:48 PM

Has anyone peeled off the sticker on the back? What's underneath there, I wonder. A droid with a rocket-firing backpack?No, no I have not. I wonder if it's run through their machines after sealing the packages so the correct droid name is attached to the right figure.

Ji'dai
07-29-2008, 05:53 PM
Might be nothing under there. Using stickers gives them greater flexibility, especially when they start packing droid parts randomly. Otherwise they'd have to print new cards with each possible droid/droid part combination.

bobafrett
07-29-2008, 07:24 PM
I was happy to see both the clone troopers and the Stormtroopers represented on the card backs. When I first saw the picture of just the clone helmet, I thought "Oh well" but now I do like the packaging, but the two figures I have, are both still out in the car.

JediTricks
08-01-2008, 08:14 PM
Both sets of packaging look like rump in person, I have shredded every one except the various 1st day variants, which I sliced open despite the fact that I almost certainly won't do anything with that down the road. But it is so tame and sleepy and unexciting, and the supplementary graphics around that are dreadfully weak to boot. I pretty much think they've hit rock bottom with this. And there's so little room in that bubble, it feels like less product even when it's not.

As bad as the carded figures are, the other Hasbro packaging is that much worse. Where the figures have a shape to them, the boxes and carded SWTF completely fail to elicit any feeling of anything other than emptiness and boredom - certainly not Star Wars. The Falcon and AT-TE packaging comes alive, but only because they ignore the packaging cues and go for huge graphics, but the $20 vehicles and Evolutions and whatnot, that stuff all looks so very bad here.

Apparently, Hasbro's trying to bring the level of "interesting" back up on these in a few waves, adding blue to the helmet eyes on the figure cards, but the reality is that white and blue by themselves are non-selling colors.