PDA

View Full Version : 2 ESB questions ...

vader121
05-20-2008, 08:37 AM
Were there Snowtroopers shown on foot approaching the trenches during the Hoth battle? I think I may have seen some in the distance in one scene but can't be sure. I know if Battlefront there are but what about the movie.
I was always dissapointed in the limited screen-time Snowtroopers got.

Why were Tie Bombers mindlessly bombing asteriods? Did they know the Falcon was in that asteriod but just couldn't get to it and this was what they thought would drive them out? Your thoughts.
I personally feel it was merely to show what a new shop was designed to do for a cool factor but maybe you have a thought on the military reason.

Beast
05-20-2008, 08:46 AM
1. I don't believe so. Remember the line of dialogue from General Veers during the Snow Battle to the Snowtrooper Commander. "Debark for Ground Assault." So the troops were probably all in the troop carrier sections of the AT-ATs. And of course once the Deflector Shield went down, Vader brought troopers in with him.

2. Yep, that's exactly it. Fairly standard military tactic. Trying to flush the enemy out that has gone underground. Or in this case, hidden in a giant astroid somewhere in an Astroid Field. Similar bombing campaigns have been employed for years. :)

bigbarada
05-20-2008, 11:52 AM
1. I'm pretty sure the AT-ATs were filled with Snowtroopers in case they were needed, but once the shield generator went down the entire Rebel base was ripe for an orbital bombardment. Which is why the AT-ATs kept their distance, they didn't need to get caught in the crossfire once the Star Destroyers started pummeling everything.

Of course, with that in mind, it wouldn't make any sense from a military standpoint for Vader to enter Echo Base with a small squad of Snowtroopers. But that sounds more like Vader doing his own thing again, with complete disregard for the tactics of his military leaders. All he really did was hamper the efforts of the Imperials to destroy the Rebels while he went on his own personal manhunt.

2. Beast pretty much hit the nail on the head. Flushing out an enemy with explosives is a common military tactic.

Darth Jax
05-20-2008, 07:20 PM
2. Beast pretty much hit the nail on the head. Flushing out an enemy with explosives is a common military tactic.

works well when fishing too, or at least it did for ned & jimbo

2-1B
05-20-2008, 08:36 PM
1. Yes they were shown approaching on foot but 2-1B snuck up behind them and slit their throats.

2. I don't remember that scene from the movie.

Slicker
05-21-2008, 02:12 AM
1. Yes you can see snowtroopers but they are in the far distance. They fire they're weapons and such. I forget what part it is exactly but they running towards the camera firing.

2. I would assume it may be to scare 'em out or the bombs aren't conventional bombs like we use. They could harm electronics in a certain radius (EMP) or be disruptive to humans. Who knows.

Jargo
05-27-2008, 04:01 PM
2. I always assumed that the Imperials knew the space slug was in there and were deliberately trying to get it agitated. get it to spit out the falcon. I also feel the bombers were trying to clear a path through the asteroid field so the Star destroyer could get nearer. close enough to engage the tractor beam.

1. I think the only troopers you see in the ground battle on Hoth are the rebels surging forward to attack a fallen AT-AT. just before they have to beat a hasty retreat.the AT-ST and other AT-AT's pounding the ground forces with a barrage of laser fire. It's implied that the snowtroopers debark and advance but not shown. just a comms announcement about base defences being breached. then you get the bit where vader stomps in with his trooper squad.

JediTricks
05-27-2008, 11:01 PM
Hmm, I've never considered before that the Imps knew the slug was there. After some thought, I don't believe that to be the case, they are trying to CAPTURE the Falcon, having it digested by a space slug would be contrary to Lord Vader's orders, and then you'd have star destroyers full of dead people.

Jargo
05-28-2008, 06:24 AM
ok, so surely a scan of the asteroid would have revealed the slug's presense? something that large must have created a big blip. if they got the slug to emerge they could shoot it dead. lock on tractor beam and get it onboard a star destroyer. then retrieve the falcon.
kinda like catching a whale to free someone swallowed by it.

as nothing is really scripted regarding strategy behind the bombing of the crater I see it as fair game for filling in blanks with whatever works for me. as with much of star wars the saga.

JediTricks
05-30-2008, 01:22 AM
Asteroids are difficult to scan, they are often made of dense minerals and exotic metals. Also, the Star Destroyers are probably not scanning for life signs, if they can even scan for life signs at all, it's not like there's a lot of life in space, and most of it wouldn't be gigantic.

Tractor it? They couldn't even get close to that asteroid, it was only when Han exited the dense part of the asteroid belt that they even ran back into any Star Destroyers.

CaptainSolo1138
05-30-2008, 09:25 AM
I like the "catch the slug" argument. While it makes sense, my only argument against it would be that a pilot doesn't show up on radar, just his plane. I would think that the asteroid would show up on a scan, but anything on it would not as it is simply a smaller component of the whole.

But its SW. Anything goes. If they can launch a planet at Chewie, surely the Empire has developed slug scanning technology.:D

Jargo
05-30-2008, 05:14 PM
wonder if Wonder Woman's plane would show on radar or just her metallic costume bits.

I accept that JT's counter points make sense. Han knew he was inside a space slug once he figured out why the ground was sqishy and there were mynocks. hence his hurry to exit the 'cave' so therefore the imperials with a kowledge of all the sectors of space they rule would surely know about space slugs too. kinda like all mariners know about giant squids even if they've never seen one up close. thermal imaging should garner even a vague heat source reading giving away the location of either the falcon or a large creature. for all the imperials knew he falcon could have entered the crater hole and impacted on the back of the cave. but obviously they could pick up some readings from a scan of some kind. or, they knew about the slugs and their habits of sleeping open mouthed.

*shrug*

2-1B
05-30-2008, 05:38 PM
I just want to know how the slug got there in the first place.

El Chuxter
05-30-2008, 05:50 PM
You see, when a boy space slug and a girl space slug love each other very much (or, in some cases, when the boy space slug gives the girl space slug $50), they.......

bigbarada
05-30-2008, 09:19 PM
You see, when a boy space slug and a girl space slug love each other very much (or, in some cases, when the boy space slug gives the girl space slug $50), they.......

:D

There are account of sexually frustrated Space Slugs humping Imperial Star Destroyers. I think they were trying to avoid that.

2-1B
05-31-2008, 08:38 PM
Sounds like authentic EU to me.

Jaff
08-13-2008, 02:31 PM
1. I never saw them in the movie.

2. There's nothing like blowing bombs. Didn't you know all TIE pilots were pyromaniacs.