PDA

View Full Version : I'm having surgery tomorrow

Tycho
05-22-2008, 01:29 AM
That's it I guess. I've held out until I had only 8% function left between my kidneys and now I have to start dialysis.

I am expecting I'll probably have a transplant through a very generous donation that comes through by next August.

But my doctor said my best chance of still being alive by then is to have this surgery tomorrow.

It's a real quick proceedure actually. They're going to insert a double IV tube through my chest into the artery just above my heart.

They'll use that for dialysis and I guess it is good enough to work temporarily for a few months. To have the accessway built into an arm that is usually done for dialysis (which I refused) usually takes 4 months or more to mature to the point where they can use it. I passed that point where it's thought I'd for still be around to make use of that in 4 more months if I don't receive medical intervention now.

But I can't help but have a bad feeling about this. My doc said I'm not really likely to die by August without getting any help, but he can't garauntee that and the rules governing medacine say I should definitely be on dialysis by now.

I haven't said anything because I didn't want to hear opposing opinions about this before, but I've been providing acknowledgement that I've been so advised every time I've refused to go on dialysis for the past year during my physician consults.

Oh boy. So this is so much fun. NOT. I have to be up at 5am tomorrow and reporting to the hospital at 7am. I hope everyone else has fun watching Indiana Jones...:tired:

Mad Slanted Powers
05-22-2008, 01:43 AM
I hope everything goes well. With any luck you'll get that kidney and be alive and kicking for years to come.

figrin bran
05-22-2008, 01:46 AM
I hope everything goes well!

Kidhuman
05-22-2008, 05:42 AM
Best of luck to you Tycho. I will keep you in thoughts and prayers.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
05-22-2008, 06:00 AM
best of luck, Tycho!

Dar' Argol
05-22-2008, 07:11 AM
I wish you complete success today Josh. We await your return with good news.

DarthQuack
05-22-2008, 07:18 AM
Good luck, hope everything runs smooth.

Old Fossil
05-22-2008, 08:11 AM
Keep us posted on your progress, as you are able, Tycho!

CaptainSolo1138
05-22-2008, 08:21 AM
Good luck, Josh. Whatever keeps things going well is probably the right step to take.

JEDIpartner
05-22-2008, 09:35 AM
I'll be thinking of you. Good luck with everything. You know I'm always standing by you!!

Safe surgery and speedy recovery to you!!!

:cry:

jedi master sal
05-22-2008, 09:49 AM
We'll all be pulling for you Josh!

As of this writing you should be up and about and hopefully on the way to the hospital.

Good luck bro!

Droid
05-22-2008, 10:39 AM
I'll be thinking of you, Tycho. Take care.

El Chuxter
05-22-2008, 10:41 AM
Good luck, Tycho. We're praying for you, and looking forward to one of us soon making a line about gundarks.

TeeEye7
05-22-2008, 12:05 PM
(*Waves hand in classic Jedi fashion....*)

Things will go well.

Recovery willl be speedy.

Thoughts and prayers from us, your friends, will be with you. Always.

Take care, Josh! :thumbsup:

TI7

jedi master sal
05-22-2008, 12:40 PM
Well Josh should be in surgery or recovery by now.

Hopefully we'll get some sort of update today on how things went.

Get well soon Tycho!

Blue2th
05-22-2008, 01:04 PM
Hope things went well, and a speedy recovery.

mabudonicus
05-22-2008, 03:23 PM
Hope everything's well Josh, you should be rockin yer proper STANSE very soon!!
:beard: Iso&Baws

Seriously the metal is with you \m/

JediTricks
05-22-2008, 03:32 PM
Just talked to Josh. They drugged him up and there was a little trouble getting the cath in, but it was done in time for him to preorder SDCC Aayla Secura, he was on the computer in time at the hospital but couldn't find the add-to-basket button, so he called it in. (That's SW priorities, you guys could learn a lesson there! :p) He says it still hurts a lot and he can't raise his arm much right now, he's pretty out of it on the goofy juice, not entirely coherent, so he's going to finally get some sleep (he was up past midnight last night, and was to wake at 5am).

mtriv73
05-22-2008, 03:57 PM
Good luck with everything Josh. I wish the surgery had gone more smoothly for you, but we're all glad it's over and you made it through alright. (I'm also glad you got Aayla pre-ordered.) I wish you a speedy recovery and hope you enjoy all the loopiness the meds induce (you should have some great dreams to write about.)

DarthBrandon
05-22-2008, 04:11 PM
Best if luck with everything Josh, I hope all goes well for you & your posting on the boards soon enough.:thumbsup:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-22-2008, 05:12 PM
Hopefully everything from here on out will go well.

Take care, sir!

Tycho
05-22-2008, 07:47 PM
Thanks for thinking about me. I'm still in much pain and can't really bend my right arm from the shoulder. Below the elbow is fine.

Yeah I phoned JT and will call Steve later. I DID call SideShow from the hospital because their cookie-blocker or something wasn't letting me order from there.

The lady answered "SideShow Collectibles: can I help you?"

I said something like, "Yeah. I'm on drugs and I'd like to order Aayla Secura."

Must've made their pre-order day.

By the way, morphine really does help you enjoy Attack of the Clones much better.

Anyway, I can't post too much, as I want to lie back down shortly. But thought I'd check in. I was really out-of-it when I spoke to JT for sure.

DarthQuack
05-22-2008, 08:08 PM
Glad to hear you're doing well.

bobafrett
05-22-2008, 10:41 PM
Josh, I know we've spoken several times about this operation, and I'm glad to see that you followed your doctors advice. It will be best until your new kidney comes from sideshow collectibles!

Banthaholic
05-22-2008, 11:34 PM
May the force be with you my friend.

Slicker
05-23-2008, 12:03 AM
Good to hear that you're well Josh. You're a pain in the a** but we'd be lost without ya. ;)

Tycho
05-23-2008, 12:55 AM
It will be best until your new kidney comes from sideshow collectibles!

I ordered a KIDNEY from SideShow Collectibles? I must have really been out of it when I talked to them today!

I checked my order status (after having slept most of the day), it looks like I'm getting the Comic Con Exclusive for which the kidney also comes with a blue Twi'lek Jedi girl.

Anyway, my medical insurance SHOULD cover my Star Wars figures anyway - as they DO help me feel better!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So anyway, I had the catheter placed. They put it on your right side of your chest, just below your collar bone.

You can see 3" of it beneath the surface of my skin stretching from what looks like and hurts like a bullet hole in my neck.

Another 3" of two IV tubes with a red tip and the other being blue are sticking out over the very top of my right arm (not under my arm, but parallel to about the same posiiton as my right arm pit).

I am right handed. It doesn't matter. It's supposed to be placed on your right hand side.

I can't move my arm at the right shoulder without a lot of pain, and there's continuous pain in that area and by the puncture wound in my neck as well. I'm regretting this already and wonder how long it will take until my body becomes irritated with a foreign object being stuck in it and starts reacting badly to this with skin irritation, swelling etc. (I'm asking my support group members to please discuss their experience in our web forums on MySpace).

Well, this thing is in deep. I'd rip an artery pulling it out. They assured me at the hospital that if I want it out, they WILL schedule a quick surgery to remove it.

I'll be trying dialysis for a little while to see if it makes me feel any better first. I might as well - as I've suffered this much with it.

Oh, I couldn't even drink water since last night when it turned midnight, so getting veins for an IV and the blood test they usually do was painful and left me black and blue of course. One nurse injected me with a numbing agent in the spot and then it worked easily. She said lab techs aren't qualified to use those, however - so that's why they don't. It would help with the blood draws I regularly have to get every month.

Anyway, we'll see how this goes.

JediTricks
05-23-2008, 01:12 AM
Thanks for thinking about me. I'm still in much pain and can't really bend my right arm from the shoulder. Below the elbow is fine.

Yeah I phoned JT and will call Steve later. I DID call SideShow from the hospital because their cookie-blocker or something wasn't letting me order from there.

The lady answered "SideShow Collectibles: can I help you?"

I said something like, "Yeah. I'm on drugs and I'd like to order Aayla Secura."

Must've made their pre-order day.

By the way, morphine really does help you enjoy Attack of the Clones much better.

Anyway, I can't post too much, as I want to lie back down shortly. But thought I'd check in. I was really out-of-it when I spoke to JT for sure.I wish I had been able to record that call to Sideshow. :D

Josh, I know we've spoken several times about this operation, and I'm glad to see that you followed your doctors advice. It will be best until your new kidney comes from sideshow collectibles!Oh man, then he'll have to send it back because of a bent lightsaber blade and loose joints! ;)

Phantom-like Menace
05-23-2008, 01:50 AM
Glad to hear you're up and around and able to make jokes. The line about ordering Aayla on drugs got quite a laugh from me.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
05-23-2008, 12:31 PM
Good to see you back in action Josh. Hope everything works expeditiously from now until the transplant.

Nice to see you still have your wicked sense of humor. :thumbsup:

JEDIpartner
05-23-2008, 02:16 PM
Oh, dear... Sorry to hear that you are in pain but I AM quite chuffed to hear that you are just as coherent as ever. I don't know if that's a good thing or just "regular bad". LOL I'm just glad that you came through okay. Keep us updated!!!!

Tycho
05-23-2008, 03:09 PM
The deal is that I'm admitted into the HOSPITAL next Tuesday and have to stay until Thursday. They want to observe me for my first 2 sessions at dialysis.

This just keeps getting better and better. :rolleyes:

I'll log-on from the hospital if I can. I won't be bed-stricken (unless something else goes wrong).

You only dialize for about 4 hours at the most, per session - usually every other day.

Anyway, I'm trying to make sure I get my solicitations for my novel for June done so I can get them out in the mail tomorrow, being that Monday is a holiday.

Mvader91
05-23-2008, 03:15 PM
Probably never dialouged with you TYcho, you always seem to bring alot to the table. I enjoy reading your posts. Our prayers will be with you for a speedy return home.

Turbowars
05-25-2008, 06:00 PM
All I have to say is it's good you finally did something about prolonging your life. Hang in there.

Tycho
05-25-2008, 09:28 PM
All I have to say is it's good you finally did something about prolonging your life. Hang in there.

Thank you for the sentiment, but the more accurate description of things is I'm attempting to change my life.

If I am going to take bad leg pain until I can't walk any more, freezing chills, and naseau / vomitting, and add to it the limited use of my right arm due to the surgery adding new, severe shoulder pain and blood-flow tubes sticking out of me like a Borg - which I now have to take time to cover and tape closed just to take a shower - I'm not trying to PROLONG that.

I start dialysis during a hospital stay that begins this week, Tuesday. They say I'll be out on Thursday. I'll attempt to get internet access while I'm there, as there won't be much for me to do. I'm mainly required to stay for observation and my treatments are only 4 hours, so I have 20 more with which I need to occupy myself for.

I have never been on dialysis, so it's possible that this will make me feel better.

What I'm doing it for is to stabalize myself temporarily until I can get a kidney transplant - hopefully this August. The medical professionals don't like people taking dialysis this way, versus needles in your arm, because of the higher risk of an infection that will kill me since my tubing goes straight to my heart. But a girl on MySpace I have contact with did dialysis this way for 18 months.

I can make it 3 months until my expected transplant, as my doctor said they wouldn't DO a transplant on me unless my bloodstream and tissues were cleaned out - so I'd have dialysis anyway. I figured it was time to get it over with.

If I can't get a transplant this year - and it would be after 6 months by the end of 2008, I will "commit orderly suicide." As I noted, I don't want to prolong my life. Right now I don't exactly enjoy living it - it's not how I had lived it in the past, enjoying a wide variety of activities and no really painful inconveniences.

When / if I get this stuff removed from me in the event I have NOT had a transplant, I'll return to having 8% kidney function as I am right now, probably peacefully transitioning into a wheel chair, and passing away uneventfully. Everyone is different, but that sounds better to me than fighting tooth and nail to continue living with the aid of life-supporting machines.

But I don't know: if I sell my novel and have other work I want to finish, and create other reasons to continue, that will come into play as well. I'm just searching for my own personal reasons to go on through this. To keep breathing another day is not enough. I just wouldn't want anyone to think that I believe it is, or be surprised that "Tycho" would have an unconventional philosophy regarding life and death.

As to changing my life? The transplant can prolong it, almost entirely unencumbered, for 15 to maybe even 30 more years. That WOULD change my life.

I would return to pursuing a grand post-college career, the first stop being a continuation of my effort I'm engaged in now to write novels that could become movies and finally offer audiences real entertainment once more. Or I'd find some place else to fit in where my work would be interesting and rewarding

I'd get a darn big house and turn it into the diorama version of Rancho Obi-Wan and then show Steve Sansweet "how it's really done!" (Maybe with props to JediMasterSal who's gonna then be able to teach me!.)

Maybe I'd be able to make a return to local politics like I'd been involved with before.

All the while, I'd like to live exactly like Tony Stark in Iron Man!

Turbowars
05-25-2008, 09:46 PM
Well I understand what you mean about suicide, but why bother with all this if you don't want to prolong your life.

I still don't know if my cancer is gone, but I took the steps to try to get rid of it. If I had to do it again, I not sure I could.

Anyways Tycho, I know you are in pain and I know all about IV's, but try to let go of thoughts of suicide. Thinking that way will only make it harder, but that's up to you.

Blue2th
05-26-2008, 05:44 PM
Hope you can un-assimilate soon! :yes:

JediTricks
05-28-2008, 01:22 AM
I'm talking to Tycho right now, he's doing good, eating more than he has in a while thanks to the dialysis. He'll be let out tomorrow, not Thursday.

Tycho
05-29-2008, 02:00 AM
Yup. I'm out. Home. Posting. Etc.

The only differences so far are the that the IV tubes are uncomfortable in place where they are, but I am eating more again - and so far - holding down my food that I eat, too.

I've also been prescribed an additional vitamin pill and a phosphorous binder tablet.

It looks like I'll be going to dialysis 3 times a week for about 3.5 hrs a session, or 11.5 hrs. a week.

I was told I may not notice too much of a change for about 1 month, then I might tell a bigger difference.

I'll give this a try for a while.

Darth Jax
05-29-2008, 08:15 AM
That'll be time enough to revisit all the EU while you're attached to the machines.

Any word on whether it'll help you sleep?

Tycho
05-29-2008, 09:49 AM

Time will tell. I went to bed last night about midnight I think. I'm up at 6:30am and will hopefully be able to go back to sleep for about 2 more hours in a few minutes here.

But in any case, I hadn't considered whether dialysis will improve my ability to sleep. I'll post that if I notice anything different.

So far, my blood pressure was NOT lowered by undergoing the treatment.

It did lower when I returned home from the hospital. I think being there made me slightly anxious / nervous and I do better at home - or it's just that I don't tighten my blood pressure cuff enough here at my place (cause I hate those things) and my reader machine isn't as sensitive as the ones professionals use.

Anyway, over the longer run, we'll see. But that's a good (and interesting) question Darth Jax.

That'll be time enough to revisit all the EU while you're attached to the machines.

I doubt it. Hehe. There's so much stuff out there. I also have to find my stuff from the earliest part of the chronology in my storage (Golden Age of the Sith, Jedi Apprentice young reader novels, pre-AOTC Republic comics, and novels such as Rogue Planet.

Before my aneurysm, I had been attempting to re-read the chronology and I'd moved the stuff I'd covered (up until 3/4 into the Clone Wars) to another location in my old apartment, so it wasn't packed with the rest of my SW books that I found and brought over to my new place.

I'm working on going through my storage, but it's a process. Eventually, I'll find everything.

But to be honest, before I try and re-read again, I hope they stop making most of the comics and books!

Isn't there enough? There's been more than enough time to see if Jacen and Jaina, and Ben Skywalker can replace the movie group of characters, and they never could (though they have their passionate supporters).

Now Cade Skywalker and Marisiah Fel (likely the great-grand-daughter of Jaina Solo) might gain some traction, but it's limited, too.

Back in the past, we've yet to see if KOTOR has anything to do with anything else. The "Vector" cross-series story arc might help. Might.

Meanwhile, the stuff that would mean something to folks if it were getting done, like "The Tragedy of Darth Plageus," is not getting done. As an author, there's a place in the SW universe that I'd definitely like to work.

I also have a profound interest in straightening out inconsistencies and gaps in the larger chronology, and making the additions interesting and exciting of course.

But now that I'm finding my own voice as a writer, my overly-political and adult style that comes naturally to me might exclude me from writing mainstream sci-fi / fantasy fiction. I could do the latter, but I might have lost my patience for it and prefer working under less restricted parameters.

For dialysis, I think I'll be buying myself a portable DVD player.

Eventually, I'd like to re-read the chronology when I have a house. Then as I sort out my figure collection, I can use one room to assemble the pieces I may want to set up EU scenes with my toys, seeing what I've got and what I may still need.

jedi master sal
05-29-2008, 05:17 PM
I'd get a darn big house and turn it into the diorama version of Rancho Obi-Wan and then show Steve Sansweet "how it's really done!" (Maybe with props to JediMasterSal who's gonna then be able to teach me!.)

Okay first, get the thoughts of suicide out of your head.
Second, I'm glad to hear you're doing better and wish you continued improved health and recovery.
Third, hopefully I'll have my diorama website up by then and you can follow the step by step guides that I'll have posted.

Darth Jax
05-29-2008, 11:43 PM
those portable self functioning units aren't the most accurate for checking your blood pressure. but they are consistent, and consistency counts just as much with repeated measurements.

dvd is a good way to go. anything to help the time go by faster.

i don't know that i'll ever get the entire chronology read. i just get further and further behind. haven't cracked any of the dark nest trilogy or legacy books yet.

Tycho
05-30-2008, 12:29 AM
haven't cracked any of the dark nest trilogy or legacy books yet.

Me either. I've heard some bad reviews and notably El Chuxter, whose opinion I respect and find usually congruent to my own (aside from things to do with Transformers) has put down Star Wars' EU that has extended beyond NJO.

I once was the expert authority on the novels around here, but alas I switched my interest to writing my own stuff (non-Star Wars) and haven't had as much time to indulge in Dark Nest or Legacy. I've been collecting them so I have the hardcovers, but I'm no longer sure "why."

Tycho
05-30-2008, 07:12 AM

Not tonight. I went to bed from 1am to 3am. It's 4:10am right now. I may fold laundry or shave after I attempt to return to sleep. But my success there might lay at odds of only 50-50.

Darth Jax
05-30-2008, 08:09 AM
Not tonight. I went to bed from 1am to 3am. It's 4:10am right now. I may fold laundry or shave after I attempt to return to sleep. But my success there might lay at odds of only 50-50.

Looks like we'll still be treated with sleep-deprived prose then.

Tycho
05-30-2008, 09:15 AM
Looks like we'll still be treated with sleep-deprived prose then.

Well, I started a thread about iced tea, seeing as there was nothing else to do. And I even found a way to bring up Michael Bay in the same thread.

I was unable to go back to sleep still. Sucks because I have dialysis at 10am, though I may sleep there. Meanwhile, I do have to drive to get to the clinic.

Sleeping medication costs $115 I believe, and is NOT covered by my insurance, which covers almost everything else, rendering my cost $10 for each prescription (accept for my $83 / month blood pressure med - the one that actually works). Apparently Blue Shield doesn't think Lunesta or something else like it is actual medication.

Now suppose I just sleep when I'm tired? Well I'd be fired from any regular 9-5 job as I might feel like crashing finally around 11am and sleep until 4pm or something like that. It wouldn't effect the quality of the work I could do, but it certainly would affect the times at which I could work with others.

I think for many with this problem to be able to function in society, sleeping medication must be looked at as real medication. Sleep definitely has an impact on how you get along in the world.

Meanwhile, I don't know that were I to find nocturnal employment, I wouldn't just want to sleep at normal times during the night at that point - that the whole thing isn't psychological because my personality seeks out peace, quiet, and non-stressing situations due to my hypertension.

But like I said: I don't know this. Perhaps I'd be just fine with nocturnal employment in a more isolated occupation? If I succeed as an author, then that's absolutely perfect for me: I can work by myself, and in the middle of the night, and earn six-figures (min. for a screenplay pays $106,000).

Got to get healthy and sell my first novel in the meantime though.

JON9000
05-30-2008, 04:34 PM
Glad to hear you are back in action. August isn't too far away. Hopefully, it'll be here before you know it and you'll be back to all the activities you enjoy.

Tycho
05-30-2008, 06:53 PM
I just got home from dialysis. I didn't get to sleep there because they kept interviewing me for my medical history and explaining everything to me.

I was assigned a really thorough nutricianist. So that is a plus.

However, I just threw up when I got home. I'm going to lie down very shortly.

Anyway, the thing in my chest hurts. It's only the first week and I can't wait to get it out and off me. I also hate the blood pressure cuff constricting my arm every half an hour. I have to sit there, pretty much trapped, for 3 hours. I'll be getting a Verizon wireless internet card and start talking to you all from dialysis by next week. They have a special on it this month, but there's less than 2 days left in May.

Meanwhile, they tried to teach me how to shut off the machine and disconnect myself in the event of a fire or earthquake, because if I can't get help fast enough in a real emergency, I'll spill all my blood out all over the place and die if I don't watch how I disconnect myself. There's a pleasant thought.

My back right shoulder / neck is killing me. I have to remember to bring some of my own pillows so that I have extra while I'm there.

K. I'm going to check a few other threads to take my mind off this, and then take a nap.

Tycho
06-02-2008, 05:50 PM
Well, I actually am posting from dialysis. I'm too restless to sit here for 3 hours plus though. I wish I could stand up and move around a little. Maybe I can. I'll have to test how long or short the IV lines they've got me on are.

Oh well. Brought Smallville with me. I'd rather watch a video right now than type on this smaller keyboard. I use a natural ergonomic style at home.

JediTricks
06-03-2008, 12:12 AM
How was the first "regular" dialysis experience overall?

Blue2th
06-03-2008, 12:26 AM
One of these days they'll make a portable Dialysis machine so you can walk around with tubes sticking out of you like a Borg. :yes:

Tycho
06-03-2008, 12:30 AM
Twice I was screaming like Han Solo in his torture chair as my legs cramped when they took fluid out of me. They had to cut back my treatment today.

When I went through that at home, especially after the Queensryche concert, my legs were filling up. Now as they drained, it was equally painful.

I got a refill of my pain meds tonight and will be "tripping on them" as might be needed. But they will never work fast enough. It's THAT painful.

In the meanwhile, if I start posting stuff that's weird... well you're used to that.

If I start posting stuff that's normal, don't hesitate and call 9-1-1 !!!

But the pain is not funny, really.

I especially worry about it hitting me while I'm driving. My legs literally won't function and straighten out or tighten up - whichever is the opposite of their position. Can you imagine how scary that would be while driving?

The leg cramps come on suddenly. So I could be perfectly fine when leaving dialysis and then have no sign at all to warn me when trouble's going to find me. You have to use your calf muscles to manipulate the gas and brake.

So yes, the clinic provides emergency assistance, but it may be too late when I realize I need it.

Meanwhile, they assured me that they balanced the fluids before they unplugged me today, and I was sufficiently medicated.

Now I hope I don't wake up in pain like after Queensryche. I was on my hands and knees crawling to the bathroom the morning after. And I'd had nothing alcoholic to drink.

Now can you understand why I was less enthusiastic about running around Comic Con? Even in an electric wheelchair I could still get cramps and it'd be embarassing in public. I want to look like a raving, screaming mad man only when I PLAN on it - not when this sort of thing just hits me sideways.

Overall, I'll like it when I'm back into balance

But I've lost 5 lbs.

Tycho
06-03-2008, 12:32 AM
One of these days they'll make a portable Dialysis machine so you can walk around with tubes sticking out of you like a Borg. :yes:

That's what General Grievous and Darth Vader had as well. And they already make that - it's paretineal dialysis - but I'm too messed up inside to use that.

Meanwhile, I do have the Borg tubes sticking out of me in my chest. 2 "assimilation tubules." Resistance was futile. :cry:

JediTricks
06-03-2008, 12:56 AM
The leg cramping I've experienced in life (I've had it bad sometimes) usually comes not during activity, but once activity stops. However, the more regularly you stay active, the less often you get crampy. I wonder if you stopped drinking milk products if it'd help.

Tycho
06-03-2008, 03:11 AM
I barely have milk. Maybe once a day in cereal, but that's it. My nutricianist said that was fine. My labwork looked excellent.

Any milk product I might add would be negligible - the couple slices of snack cheese or smallest cup of ice cream - and not very often either.

If I have these things on a day I don't even have the cereal in milk, I'm fine.

JediTricks
06-04-2008, 02:07 AM
Those of jewish ancestry don't generally digest milk very well, so even the small amount you consume (which is a full serving if you're having it in cereal) adds to your body's lactic acid, which can cause cramping. Anyway, one thing I hadn't thought of though is that your potassium is out of balance, that's an excellent way to get cramps. Hopefully as the dialysis balances out your needs in the next few sessions, that will take care of it.

JEDIpartner
06-06-2008, 09:37 AM
I'm glad to hear they are able to help you manage some of the issues you are having. At least you're not miserable all the time. :( I want you to get well soon!!!! *HUG*

Tycho
06-06-2008, 11:42 AM
They gave me a lot of reading materials, including a lot that was contributed by other patients. It's very open and honest.

The suicide discussion and everything is included, and I was caught by surprise how common all these feelings are by people going through it.

I think the stats are that 100,000 people every year find out they are having kidney failure and will eventually need dialysis or a transplant.

Our web community here is really small, so it figures I am the only one.

However, based on what I'm reading, my reactions have been completely predictable and commonplace, actually. I really was quite surprised there are probably 100,000 others that feel exactly like I do.

JediTricks
06-07-2008, 03:39 PM
So, are the leg cramps getting any better?

Tycho
06-07-2008, 06:03 PM
I had not-severe leg stiffening during dialysis on Friday. There's a med-tech who's really good at massaging my legs and stretching them. It wasn't an emergency like on Monday, but I felt it was best to avail myself of the service while I had the chance. As it turns out, that may have been very smart. I have not had another severe episode yet. But my nurse wants my doctor to check my edema just in case anyway.

I'm keeping a "diary" blog on MySpace now. I don't know if I'll keep with it, but for now it's on. I have fallen behind with it as of yesterday though.

Tycho
06-09-2008, 06:07 PM
I'm using my broadband at dialysis right now. I'll tell you right now: I'll have the treatments this summer as long as I can use this catheter. But if for some reason I'm not doing the transplant come September, I'm pulling the plug on it all myself.

There are people here with diabetes so bad they're aputees and have to be hoisted out of their wheelchairs. Some of them have swollen, infecfted fistulas in their arms, as do others not in wheelchairs.

Dude, I've had a great life for a young person - maybe as close to Bruce Wayne's or Tony Stark's as I'm going to get. I've just got to pull the plug on myself if I ever get as far gone as some of these people.

But yes: I know what to be thankful for. Now I've done that and maybe it's time to move on?

JediTricks
07-03-2008, 05:22 AM
I don't think Tycho wanted me to keep this quiet, so I thought I'd let you guys know, he's been in the hospital since yesterday. One of the cysts from his PKD burst and caused him tremendous pain, and it turned out internal bleeding as well. I talked to him tonight, he's doing as well as can be expected for someone who can barely move due to the state he's in.

I talked to him while he got his morphine, at first he was alright, but then the A/C ducts looked to him like the hospital was being invaded by giant caterpillars (he wasn't freaking out tho', I guess we know who will be chosen to welcome our fourteen-legged overlords). He was still somewhat lucid so we discussed that morphine is an opiate and comes from opium, at which point he mentioned we should get Afghanistan to send us more of the good stuff. :p

Anyway, hopefully he'll be doing better soon, but it may take a while for him to get back up to where he was before this went down.

jedi master sal
07-03-2008, 08:45 AM
I don't think Tycho wanted me to keep this quiet, so I thought I'd let you guys know, he's been in the hospital since yesterday. One of the cysts from his PKD burst and caused him tremendous pain, and it turned out internal bleeding as well. I talked to him tonight, he's doing as well as can be expected for someone who can barely move due to the state he's in.

I talked to him while he got his morphine, at first he was alright, but then the A/C ducts looked to him like the hospital was being invaded by giant caterpillars (he wasn't freaking out tho', I guess we know who will be chosen to welcome our fourteen-legged overlords). He was still somewhat lucid so we discussed that morphine is an opiate and comes from opium, at which point he mentioned we should get Afghanistan to send us more of the good stuff. :p

Anyway, hopefully he'll be doing better soon, but it may take a while for him to get back up to where he was before this went down.

Please send him my absolute warmest regards, JT. Tycho is one of my best friends on this site. It pains me to hear about his health issues and I pray that he's able to overcome them.

Most sincerely,
-Sal

Jedi_Kal-El
07-03-2008, 09:10 AM
Tell him I hope he gets better soon next time you talk to him JT.

JEDIpartner
07-03-2008, 09:11 AM
Oh, God... that's horrible. :cry: Please send him my best.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
07-03-2008, 12:00 PM
Tycho has overcome all the dark side has thrown at him to this point, I have complete confidence that he will continue to do so.

Blue2th
07-03-2008, 12:19 PM
I wish him well.

2-1B
07-03-2008, 07:16 PM
Anybody wanna chip in with me and get him a lapdance in the hospital room? I think he would appreciate that. :grin:

Get better soon, Tycho. :(

jedi master sal
07-03-2008, 08:36 PM
Anybody wanna chip in with me and get him a lapdance in the hospital room? I think he would appreciate that. :grin:

Get better soon, Tycho. :(

What are they going for nowadays?

Not that I'd know from previous experience of anything...heh.

JediTricks
07-03-2008, 09:09 PM
I talked to him again today, things have taken a turn for the worse unfortunately, and they are keeping him in the hospital until at least Saturday. It appears the kidney itself is hemorrhaging from the cyst bursting, and they are trying to heal it through medicine, but he may be facing surgery to fix that in the next day or 2. They're trying to avoid transfusion right now because that would complicate any chances he has for a donor kidney, but they are searching for a close match at the blood bank too. His hemoglobin has dropped which is alarming the doctors, they had to tell him that there's a slight chance he may not make it through the end of the week. I will keep you guys updated as I learn anything more, and I have sent him your regards. Hopefully, next time you hear about this, it'll be better news.

Oh, and he says his nurse looks like Natalie Portman, so at least he's got that going for him (and this is non-morphine Josh, not the one from last night chasing the white dragon :p).

Neuroleptic
07-03-2008, 10:02 PM
I hadn't caught up with the latest on Tycho till just now, but I gotta say, that's disturbing news, Jeditricks. I know I havn't been around here all that long and I don't talk quite as much, but that dosn't mean I'm not concerned for him. He seems like a preaty cool guy, and . . . Well . . .

He sounds like he's thought all the possibilities through.

Regardless how things turn out, I find that to be both a wise and brave thing to do. Iv seen people have to make those desisions in my line of work far more than I like to think about, and he really is handeling things alot better than most.

I'v sat here for several minutes now trying to think of something else to say. I wish him the best of luck, I hope he gets better soon, or something like that just dosn't sound like enough to me given the curcomstances.

But I suppose it'll have to do for lack of anything better. Tell Tycho I bid the force to be with him.

Mad Slanted Powers
07-03-2008, 10:58 PM
Hang in there Tycho.

LTBasker
07-04-2008, 02:34 AM
Hope everything goes well for him, always a sad time when Tycho has to suffer further.

Engineernerd
07-04-2008, 07:38 AM
Keep your stick on the ice, Tycho.

JediTricks
07-04-2008, 03:55 PM
I talked to him again last night and sent him all of your regards.

It looks now like he'll be in the hospital until at least Monday, and they are probably going to have to give him that transfusion today. He sounds like he's doing ok considering the circumstances, but of course those are some pretty scary circumstances. Hopefully he'll have his laptop today and be able to read your posts.

Neuroleptic
07-04-2008, 05:05 PM
I remember you saying a blood transfusion wasn't a good thing in an earlier post so I'm hoping they found a realy close match.

Sucks to hear he's stuck there that long. The food in those places is terrible! Sneek him in something cool the next time you visit.

JediTricks
07-04-2008, 05:11 PM
When I talked to him last night, they were still searching for a close match, but one way or another he was likely going to need a transfusion today and was going to get it even if it wasn't a close enough match, which affects his chances of getting a new kidney. He hasn't complained about the food at all so far, says he's eating - I asked him about that when he said his hemoglobin was down, thinking maybe he wasn't getting enough nutrients to make new red blood cells which carry hemoglobin, he seems to be tho'.

mabudonicus
07-04-2008, 05:28 PM
DAMN- I didn't check this til now thinking Tycho was just posting more dreams :D

Josh, don't even think about the bad, man, just imagine Michael Bay is writing the script and you'll end up in suburbia watching a sunrise with a hot chick and some robots.

I am NOT a religious type but I am thinking nothin but the best for you Bro- you might deserve the occasional edit or merge but this is far beyond the pale, you had BETTER be sitting up readin this and hitting on Natpo II :D

Thanks JT for taking on the burden of reporting this "news", something none of us wanted to read and something I am sure you NEVER wanted to post.

Too much man, WAY too much- I don't get shook up about much anymore but THIS totally did it- if I could give ya a free subscription to our porn site I would be glad to ;)
:beard: Iso&Baws

I HATE serious posts, but this one (well the serious part) was straight from the heart, stand AND deliver Bro

Tycho
07-04-2008, 07:43 PM
Hey guys: thanks.

I'm still in the hospital. Broadband keeps disconnecting here. My posts might be short. Hate typing on a small laptop keyboard anyway.

I skated by with no blood transfusion thus far - that saves me from needing a triple-person match for the kidney donation.

Hemoglobin in your red blood cells carry O2 to your organs. It's why your body bothers to breath. I bled mine out when my kidney broke. (It wasn't my fault - it's a constant risk with polycistic kidneys). So I only had about 8% homoglobin in my blood (don't know what normal count is) but if I'm still bleeding internally like I am, and it went below 7%, the doctors said they had to transfuse me (like when you receive a Red Cross donation). Below that, and it'd be like I stopped breathing and then it'd be over this weekend.

I hung on at 7.3% at a 5am blood draw this morning. That I didn't lose more is a sign my meds are working and I might be stronger tomorrow. Then maybe I can go home Sun or Mon. I'll never be totally in the clear of these things until my bad kidneys can be removed, but I haven't had a cyst break before since 2 burst when I was like 13. But due to their size now, my doctor wasn't too surprised. We were lucky we caught this and I was persuaded to go into the hospital.

JediTricks
07-05-2008, 05:32 AM
Dang, sounds like you came pretty close to the edge there. Stay in the hospital as much as needed, don't try to leave too early like a lot of folks I know would. Keep on the mend! And glad to see you're at least somewhat able to use the internet in there, another window to the world besides worried family members and having me bore you to sleep over the phone. :p

As I understand it, hemoglobin is usually 35% of your blood, and 97% of the dry aspect of your red blood cells, so you lost a LOT of red blood cells specifically (but possibly not plasma, you may have enough plasma still which is why they're focusing on hemoglobin rather than whole blood), and your body's been not producing enough red blood cells to make up for what you're losing. I'm guessing they're trying to hit you up with iron-rich and protein-rich foods/nutrient packs to increase your red blood cell production. Part of your hemoglobin's creation is done through your bone marrow, I think you said something about them wanting to stimulate marrow for growth, that'd be what they're trying to do. Best of fortunes, keep building your strength, and thanks for checking in, keeping us up to date.

jjreason
07-05-2008, 07:42 AM
We're all rooting for you, Tycho, get better soon. We love you, man. :thumbsup:

Thanks for keeping us up to date, JT.

Ji'dai
07-05-2008, 09:48 AM
Hey guys: thanks.

I'm still in the hospital. Broadband keeps disconnecting here. My posts might be short. We'll believe that when we see it! :razz:

Glad to hear you're still with us, Tycho. Take care and mind your doctors' & nurses' advice, they probably knows what's best. Are you sleeping any better at the hospital? I know you've often mentioned battling insomnia at home lately in your posts.

Hopefully your stay in the hospital will be short and you'll be back out planning for SDCC and Clone Wars Midnight Madness. :bandit:

Think of all the hot female cosplayers you'll get to flirt with at the con! :love: That's something to look forward to anyway.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-05-2008, 11:05 AM
Here's to a steady recovery, Tycho! Speedy and fast can be bumpy; steady as she goes wins the race over spilled milk. Huh? Close enough... you do better than that. :thumbsup:

Neuroleptic
07-05-2008, 11:16 AM
We'll believe that when we see it! :razz:

I think he ment reletively speaking. :thumbsup:

JediTricks
07-06-2008, 05:49 PM
So, Josh is no longer backsliding, and since they can't really do much more for him at the hospital, they sent him home to recuperate yesterday. His hemoglobin is still pretty low, but he's not requiring morphine anymore and it looks like the hemorrhaging is healing up finally. He's not out of the woods, but he's doing better.

Unfortunately, his computer is not, it seems to be disconnecting him from any and all internet after a few seconds.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-06-2008, 07:25 PM
Hang in there and keep getting better, Tycho!

Banthaholic
07-06-2008, 09:25 PM
My thoughts and prayers are with you Josh. All the best. Keep on trucking man we still haven't got our Jabba's sailbarge!

Tycho
07-06-2008, 09:50 PM
Thanks. I'm home again with my puke pail next to the computer. I spent about 90 minutes at the Verizon store getting my broadband fixed so I could keep in touch with you at home.

My account tried to update unsuccessfully when my friend brought my laptop to the hospital. All the electromagnetic interference there with all the equipment would cut out my server update, thus terminating my connection.

Those of you planning on using broadband at Comic Con or other conventions (or in hospitals at one point or another) might want to make sure everything's up-to-date first.

I just got Verizon around June 1st to use at dialysis so I wasn't cut off for 4-5 hours every other day (I use MySpace to help publicize stuff about my novel, too - and e-mails with agents / publishers - so it's kind of important to me). But anyway, there have actually been 2 (TWO) Verizon software updates since I got with them in June! It's July 7, now. But this is the new era - we have to keep up with these things I guess. :mad:

I had enough to keep up with already. :rolleyes:

I find out my blood counts and labwork results at dialysis tomorrow. So I can't tell you much about my health. The painkillers make me dizzy and I live alone, so it's scary when you're not steady on your feet (or like during my experimental drive down the street to Verizon).

I haven't eaten today and will try my half SubWay sandwich in a few here. Verizon would be closing otherwise, so I had to test my connection while they were still open or I'd be further isolated and alone tonight. (I think my old girlfriend is coming by, but she didn't know how she'd feel after 5 consecutive full-time shifts at her hospital - plus she'll just go to sleep if she comes over anyway - SO I NEEDED YOU GUYS AND "THE 'NET!" :thumbsup:

Anyway, looks like it's working. I was getting kicked offline before I could even type something like this post before. So much for ever using my laptop at the hospital. However, taking it to dialysis doesn't seem to be a problem (smaller clinic - less EM stuff going on there as compared to a full hospital).

I'll update you next when I have more info on my blood. It's 6:45pm, Sun, July 7 and I'm still alive. I should be online catching up on my SSG threads and MySpace for the better part of the evening. I'm just going to eat that sandwich now (or the Percosset / Oxycodone - whatever I take for pain made me dizzy again, and seeing strange stuff - so I went back to bed).

BTW: last morphine hallucination: Ellors Madak (2001 POTJ Duro fans' choice figure) flying like Superman through my hospital corridor demanding a Banis Keeg action figure (other Duro in the cantina). OK - yes I'm weird. But I did call my nurses' station for a Bannis Keeg figure for all the good it will do you guys. (I know he won in MadSlantedPowers' poll). Funny.

Personally I could care less. I bought an extra Madak in 2001 and put the Luke Ceremony jacket on him from the Leia Collection figures, and that's all Lucas probably did in '76 anyway.

JediTricks
07-06-2008, 11:00 PM
Yeah, at CIV last year, Steve's laptop kept trying to do Windows updates, so when I got mine for SDCC '07 I made sure I shut automatic updates off (actually, I missed one which updated partway at your house and shut down wifi before it was finished because I didn't know it was doing definition updates - a relatively minor situation and wouldn't have been a problem on XP, but which caused a MASSIVE problem between Vista and my Antivirus program that would slam the CPU and RAM and make it impossible to run anything, thanks again Microsoft). Glad you're able to use the web now. You didn't have any cellphone trouble in the hospital, so I'm guessing it wasn't actually EM interfering with your connection since it runs off the same band.

Best of luck, and make sure to get enough food for your day, try lighter "sick day foods" (chicken noodle soup, crackers, whatever works for you) if you have to, but get nutrients.

PS - what did the nurses say when you asked for that figure?

Tycho
07-06-2008, 11:34 PM
PS - what did the nurses say when you asked for that figure?

I got a foreign nurse who might've spoke a Philapino or Latin language first and didn't understand me.

She told me that Bannis Keeg wasn't working that night. :grin:

jedi master sal
07-07-2008, 11:55 AM
...She told me that Bannis Keeg wasn't working that night. :grin:

That's Classic!

bobafrett
07-07-2008, 06:15 PM
I've been working many an hour lately Josh. I hope things are on the up for you!

Mad Slanted Powers
07-07-2008, 08:01 PM
I got a foreign nurse who might've spoke a Philapino or Latin language first and didn't understand me.

She told me that Bannis Keeg wasn't working that night. :grin:

I would have thought she would say "WTF is a Bannis Keeg?"

Neuroleptic
07-07-2008, 08:11 PM
HAHAHAHA! . . . wow. They must have had you on the good stuff!

JediTricks
07-08-2008, 06:04 AM
Well, he doesn't work there!

JEDIpartner
07-08-2008, 10:00 AM
He works at the Cleveland Clinic. :o

Engineernerd
07-11-2008, 10:23 AM
Tycho,

You hanging in there?

E.N.

Tycho
07-11-2008, 10:35 AM
Thanks for asking. Yeah. I'm trying. I'm not letting life's opportunities pass me by and I was even out last night with some girls I know. (I don't drink and order healthy food though)

But I would have been in pain at home by myself, so I might as well distract myself from any pain while I was out.

Engineernerd
07-11-2008, 12:37 PM
Good to hear! I always feel better when I get back to work instead of sitting at home when I've been sick, drugged up for pain, etc...

Of course, after having my wife taking care of me for a couple day when I had my kidney stone, I was ready to go back to work. And she was ready to have me out the house as well.