PDA

View Full Version : Clear Dome R2 Unit?

JediCole
08-23-2001, 05:28 PM
I was reflecting, as I often do, on the future of Star Wars figures and began to think droids. There is some conjecture on this subject and I was hopeful someone could clear this up. Were there R2-unit type droids with clear domes? There are a few that certainly seem that way, but in pictures I've found of at least one that looks clear at first glance, further inspection of the picture reveals that it in fact has a high-polish chrome dome and little color highlighting. The droids surroundings are reflected in odd ways on the dome giving the illusion of a clear dome.
The reason I ask is that a clear-domed R2-unit would be a great figure for the future Star Wars lines IF they really exist. Someone help me! Sith Worm says yes, and though I agree, I need further convincing. Help!

Pellaeon
08-23-2001, 06:06 PM
If my vision isn't too bad, I believe the orange highlighted R2 unit that is seen scuttling about in ESB in the hangar is a clear domed model.

darth chuck
08-23-2001, 07:59 PM
Good eye Pellaeon! Sansweet's Action Figure Archive has a photo of the clear dome R2 (the orange one) on page 36, along with photos of about a dozen other R2/R5 droids.

JediCole
08-23-2001, 10:15 PM
Thanks for the help there guys. Well, add that orange-highlighted, clear-domed beauty to my want list! Anyone know the call numbers?

Obi-Dan Kenobi
08-23-2001, 10:36 PM
Looking at that page makes me want more astromech droid figures even more....

Neo Solo
08-23-2001, 11:13 PM
You said it Obi-Dan Kenobi! Bring on the droids. I would really like to see more droids too. I like Hasbro's idea with the power droid, adding a Jawa to the card. They could even have droid 2-packs. Death Star Droid with the Mouse Droid, excellent idea! The clear domed droid could be packed with Chewie's mechanic droid. The possibilities are endless!

GNT
08-24-2001, 02:13 AM
Originally posted by Neo Solo
The possibilities are endless!

Not really!

Jargo
08-24-2001, 07:33 AM
GNT's cup is half full.... ;)

Love that clear domed droid. he's been on my wishlist for like - ages! I did have his designation number somewhere but can't recall where just now. Try and find it later unless someone else gets in first. :p

Wouldn't it be cool to get an R2 multi-pack with mix and match heads and legs and attachments? That would be very cool.

evenflow
08-24-2001, 07:44 AM
That is a Droid I'd like to see made. Somethign different that has yet to be made.

JediTricks
08-24-2001, 09:12 AM
Absolutely, I think there's one in ANH on the Tantive IV, and one in ROTJ on the Death Star as well. We need more droids in this line, not just simple repaints of 3PO and R2, but new gimmicks, new domes on astromechs, more more more!

Mandalorian Candidat
08-24-2001, 09:37 AM
If we're going after astromech droids, why not Jawa sandcrawler droids too? All we've got so far besides R2 and 3PO is R5-D4. Hasbro could have easily made a CS Jawa droid scene and sold scads of them.

Obi-Don
08-24-2001, 10:01 AM
I want more droids.Hasbro go for broke and make them all.I would buy them , until my wife shoots me.

Pellaeon
08-24-2001, 10:12 AM
I would buy them, until my wife shoots me.

Me too.

Neo Solo
08-25-2001, 10:20 AM
Ditto

master jedi
08-25-2001, 12:47 PM
I'd buy them all until I go crazy and shoot myself.

The Bald Ewok
08-25-2001, 03:35 PM
I would love to see more droids...maybe a RA-7, R4-19, CZ-1. AV-6R7, LIN-V8K and lastly WED 15!

The Bald Ewok
08-25-2001, 03:37 PM
What is the address for the sansweet archives by the way???

TheJedi
08-25-2001, 11:34 PM
Actually there are no clear-dome R2 units. They have their own designation as R3. It has more memory and advanced circuitry compared to R1 and R2 units. The clear dome is the only visible difference though. They are used mostly on capital ships and battle stations.

Sean the Hutt
08-26-2001, 02:02 AM
I am all for droids as well. When the clearance sales were on, I bought extra r2's. Then I pried the domes off. With the help of a lot of cool lego pieces donated by (swiped from) my nephew, I have made some cool custome droids!
Droid 2 packs would be great, Along with a new droid factory or sandcrawler. I have a vintage one, but a new one 4 times that size would be great. If you can make an at at you can make a sandcrawler!

TheJedi
08-26-2001, 04:59 AM
Originally posted by The Bald Ewok
I would love to see more droids...maybe a RA-7, R4-19, CZ-1. AV-6R7, LIN-V8K and lastly WED 15!

I just finished an RA-7 by stripping the paint from a Death Star Droid. Check it out.
http://www.angelfire.com/ca2/williams1138/swc/customs/cstmfgrs.html

Jargo
08-26-2001, 08:43 AM
Oh yeah? check out my RA-7! It aint just the stripping off of the black, it's the addition of new detail like the rust and corosion and getting his eyes the right colour........

Jargo
08-26-2001, 08:47 AM
JARGO's RA-7 (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=4281)

bigbarada
08-26-2001, 12:07 PM
Awesome work on the RA-7, guys. The perfect reason to buy an extra Death Star Droid.

I remember reading about how you converted your droid Jargo, in the Customs section, and strangely enough that night I had a dream about doing the exact same thing to my DSD, so I guess it's time to go a'customizin'. BTW since I'm too lazy to go dig out your instructions from the other thread, what'd you use to strip off the black paint?

Jargo
08-26-2001, 12:50 PM
Acetone is the stuff. The same stuff women use to strip varnish from their nails. Be careful though as it is very strong stuff and will not only take off the black laquer but also the silver chromey stuff. Use a Q-tip and don't rub but gently wipe the black away or use a tissue rolled into a point for the awkward to reach places like the neck and groin. Don't rub the black off the underneath of the hands and try to leave traces of the black in the grooves. Even without adding orange paint to rust him up he'll look cool. :)

Neo Solo
08-26-2001, 03:04 PM
Nicely done! Now all I need to do is find another DSD!

TheJedi
08-26-2001, 05:29 PM
Yeah, I saw yours the first time you posted it Jargo. Good job on it by the way.

JediCole
08-31-2001, 09:02 AM
It appears that the clear dome units are R3 units. So much the better. Now to demand that we get them from Hasbro! Who's with me?!

JediTricks
08-31-2001, 11:13 AM
Me!

Jargo
08-31-2001, 02:05 PM
ARE YOU BRAINDEAD?!!! We still haven't got a decent R5 or R4 unit out of them. What hope have we for a clear domed R3 unit? Sheer lunacy I tell you, Sheer lunacy!

JediCole
08-31-2001, 04:12 PM
Ah, but we will soon have a decent R5 unit.

And I finally found the call numbers for ol' Clear Dome, R3-A2! That is the yellow highlighted one on Hoth.

Jargo
08-31-2001, 08:15 PM
I seem to recall that Sansweets encyclopedia states that the clear domed droid on the death star is an R1 droid. But what does he know! Pah, he's an old man who relies on others for his fame and notoriety. Jerk! riding on the backs of others........

I'm sorry. I digress......

So if there's more than one kind of clear domed droid then obviously Hasbro is confused and don't know which way to turn on the issue which is why there's been a delay in releasing this attractive item. :)

He's gonna sue me one day, i just know he is...

TheJedi
08-31-2001, 09:35 PM
Nah, the droid on the death star is R3-T6. I remember reading it from the Encyclopedia. He blew up. Poor guy.

JediTricks
09-01-2001, 02:13 AM
I don't really care that much about the call letters on this one, they could name it JIM for all I care, just so long as JIM is a cool astromech with a clear dome!

JediCole
09-01-2001, 09:09 AM
Perhaps they could call him "Old" B.O.B.

Wait am minute, that sounds strangely familiar...

JediTricks
09-01-2001, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by JediCole
Perhaps they could call him "Old" B.O.B.

Wait am minute, that sounds strangely familiar... I'd LOVE to see the lawsuit there. ;)

Jargo
09-01-2001, 04:01 PM
I know it realy doesn't matter but i checked and it's the action figure archive book that says it's either an R1 or R3. Guess what - it's still Sansweet's gonkin' mistake! :rolleyes:

I really don't like that guy...... :mad:

TheJedi
09-01-2001, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
I know it realy doesn't matter but i checked and it's the action figure archive book that says it's either an R1 or R3. Guess what - it's still Sansweet's gonkin' mistake! :rolleyes:

I really don't like that guy...... :mad:

Yeah, you would think he could get it straight if he's going to be writing books. lol.