PDA

View Full Version : Our local SW events/gatherings

Bel-Cam Jos
05-25-2008, 10:36 AM
This is a section for conventions. Most Lucasfilm-sponsored or -licensed gatherings sell stuff, display stuff, simply show off stuff, but there are simple get-togethers elsewhere, elusive, unless we show them off.

Yesterday, my local library (different branch than I usually go to, however) had a family SW Day, with a local costume group there, storytime readings, costume contests for kids (:upset: :p ), trivia (I didn't know one for sure and another was a subtle one), coloring, R2-D2 cut-out masks, etc. Fun times. See the pic below for the Emperor's reading of Green Eggs and Ham. He read it unlike Dr. Seuss; too aggressive. :lipsrsealed:

Anyhow, there's obviously more in the country, in the world, that are just like this. And maybe, if posted early enough, some can attend them, too.

InsaneJediGirl
06-17-2008, 08:54 AM
Nothing cool like that where I live, so sadly I cannot contribute. The only thing I hear of in passing are "geek parties" held by the 501st.Since I'm not a member, I think I am banned by the other geeks :p

bobafrett
06-24-2008, 11:35 PM
Looks like members of the 501st legion are present! I did a library event in costume!

Bel-Cam Jos
06-28-2008, 12:39 AM
I don't know if it's specfically 501st, but the Inland Empire Fan Force was there.

And speaking of such, tomorrow they will have their Unofficial SW Day at Disneyland, to protest the lack of SW Weekends there. I will attend as an unofficial member of the IEFF (I bought the t-shirt and will try to make the 2pm by-the-castle photo, but I have yet to sign up or join in any other reindeer games of theirs) and try to find some of those cool-looking Disney/SW character figures or Potato Head ones at the Star Trader shop.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-30-2008, 12:09 AM
And speaking of such, tomorrow they will have their Unofficial SW Day at Disneyland, to protest the lack of SW Weekends there. I will attend as an unofficial member of the IEFF (I bought the t-shirt and will try to make the 2pm by-the-castle photo, but I have yet to sign up or join in any other reindeer games of theirs) and try to find some of those cool-looking Disney/SW character figures or Potato Head ones at the Star Trader shop.This was more than just one local group's gathering. There were groups from all over CA. I made a wonderful first impression by spilling guacamole (which I don't even like; it was just included with the meal) all over myself at lunch. :sad: No photos of the group picture (yet?), but there are some shots from around the park.

The Jedi leader at the padawan academy did a flip, but my photo keeps him upside down FOREVER! ;)

Figure out what my Darth Vader watch is trying to say (hee hee).

At the Indiana Jones show, he duels a nefarious villainess (on top of a bald rock?).

I did pig out on figures (sort of... at least, based on my limited buying recently) and decided on the "Yam Solo" Mr. PH. Couple of cool pins. Nice, but tiring, day.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-22-2009, 10:53 AM
I finally found a picture of that Unofficial SW Day (took a while for it to get posted, and for me to remember to check again :rolleyes: )...

http://www.starwarsdisneyland.com/PHOTO%202008.jpg

This year's USW Day is Sat. June 27th. I may be back!

Bel-Cam Jos
05-30-2009, 02:47 PM
This year, there were free tickets available for the library's SW Day... which were gone within a day. I was waiting to hear from a friend if he and his family wanted to go, so I delayed in checking on them. But, volunteering has its priveledges. I was in the area of the college professor talking about mythology (read: Joseph Campbell :thumbsup: ) and heroes in the SW saga (mainly the OT, mainly ANH). Not much crowd control required there. :p I have no pics, because the lighting indoors wasn't great, and outdoors, it got dark (duh... :rolleyes: ) and shadowy.

I missed hearing the panel with the director of Fanboys, as well as the different age costume contests. The IEFF was there once more, with their SW cars and costumes, plus some videos and pictures. Story time (divided into Rebel and Imperial), more character masks, trivia, SW artists (one guy has doen a few SW Galaxy cards and young adult book covers).

It was better organized this year, but it was later in the day (last year was Sat. morning, this was Fri. evening). Overall? Awesome! :D

JediTricks
06-22-2009, 05:27 PM
Wow, that sounds really cool! Sounds like your library had more going on than most non-official SW conventions.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-28-2009, 08:18 PM
How many of you have attended at least 10 SW-related gatherings? 'Cause if you have, then a Top Ten List is your prize! :thumbsup:

BEL-CAM JOS' TOP TEN STAR WARS GATHERINGS ATTENDED:
10.Star Wars costume display at FIDM... Los Angeles, CA
9. SW Day at library (see above)... Rancho Cucamonga, CA
8. Unofficial SW Days at Disneyland... Anaheim, CA
7. LA ScienCenter SW and technology exhibit... Los Angeles, CA
6. Yerba Buena Gardens SW display... San Francisco, CA
5. Comic Con SW Day... San Diego, CA
4. John Williams at Hollywood Bowl... Los Angeles, CA
3. Celebration IV... Los Angeles, CA
2. Waiting in line for midnight showings/opening days of ROJ/ANHSE/TPM/AOTC/ROTS... various locations around southern CA
1. Magic of Myth Smithsonian Exhibit... Washington, D.C.

I think that the upcoming SW in Concert this week should make the list.

morpheus282
10-01-2009, 09:48 PM
I've been lucky enough to see the Magic of Myth and Jim Henson exhibits at the Smithsonian. Both were incredibly cool, but to be that close to items that are forever etched into my memory and be separated by a thin sheet of plexiglass... Excellent experiences both times and well worth the 8+ hour drive. I think I burned 15 rolls of film at the Star Wars exhibit between two trips and I wish I could have taken 30 more.

There's a local SciFi type convention in my area that happens every summer, and they're doing another in a couple of weeks in the next county. The guest list isn't as cool as back in June (Dave Prowse, Ray Park,...), but it should still be a blast. Check it out here - http://www.adventurecon.com/

Bel-Cam Jos
05-29-2010, 10:02 PM
This was the first time that our local SW Day was held in mid-afternoon on a Saturday. I volunteered, and was pressed into service as a "character helper." While a Dark Lord of the Sith, flanked by two stormtroopers, would not need it in the films, I was his "bodyguard" or pusher-outta-the-wayer guy. In the pics below, Vader's reading a 'new' version of "Luke and the Beanstalk," Jabba was handing out Madlibs (didn't see one to be able to compare it to the originals), the Jar-Jar dunk tank, and behind-the-scenes in the waiting room with an armed Ewok and Yoda's "midichlorian levels" above the limit. :D It was a great day weather-wise and crowd attendance was strong.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-29-2010, 10:05 PM
Oops. Forgot the Jar Jar picture.

And, no, I don't know any of the people who were in the way of the shot. :rolleyes:

JediTricks
05-30-2010, 03:40 PM
Pretty awesome, although an Ewok with a gatling gun...

Bel-Cam Jos
05-31-2010, 10:42 AM
The Imperials in costume "force"d her to hold it. :pleased: But later, she posed with another Ewok and Darth, where it was "Revenge of the Furballs."

Bel-Cam Jos
06-28-2010, 11:51 AM
This was the first time (I think) that Disneyland's Unofficial SW Day was held on a non-Saturday. I seemed to notice less people in SW garb around the park. The time for the group photo in front of the castle has always been 2pm. They waited until 2:10 to take it this time, due to anyone still on a ride. What happens? The Main St. Band comes up and does several songs from Mary Poppins, with a few movie characters participating. A stalling tactic, perhaps? But the pic was snapped, just about 15 minutes later than the 10 minutes later time.

It was a nice day, weather-wise, and not too crowded. Ride lines were fine (probably the last time I'll ride Star Tours at DL), and food tasted good.

JediTricks
06-28-2010, 04:38 PM
I'm sorry I had to miss it. I ended up with family obligations I wasn't expecting. I didn't even get to go earlier in the week due to my mother injuring herself.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-01-2010, 09:57 PM
They now have the 2010 picture up. I'm in it in the back on the right. I have SW gear on.

A Picture With Some Nerds in It (http://www.starwarsdisneyland.com/)

JediTricks
07-12-2010, 04:12 PM
Very cool. They dropped Captain EO and his ship in there as well. I wish I had been there, stupid screwed up schedule. So what else did you guys end up doing that was Star Warsy?

Bel-Cam Jos
07-12-2010, 06:36 PM
Uh, we, um, had a picture taken of us. Rode Star Tours before they change the ride. Made SW dialogue comments while waiting in line. Really unique and special things, you know. :rolleyes:

This was a fairly dull USWD, to me. :( I didn't see too many people in SW gear to talk with, sadly.

Did you see REX (the Star Tours pilot, not the clone or Toy Story dinosaur) and Buzz Lightyear in the photo, as well?

JediTricks
07-13-2010, 04:25 PM
That's why I tend to not make more of an effort to go to that, unfortunately, as it seems exactly like what I feared. No Jedi Training Academy even?

I didn't notice Captain Rex (the original) or Buzz Lightyear in there, that's funny. I was looking for you on the right though which is why I noticed EO and not them.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-27-2010, 02:25 PM
I was so surprised to see this road sign in my local area. In fact, I rushed home to use a photo altering software just to make sure. :rolleyes:

JediTricks
08-04-2010, 11:00 PM
Wah wah! Your photoshoppery could use some work, but very cute.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-31-2011, 01:50 PM
This past weekend was our library's annual (is this the 3rd? or 4th?) SW Day celebration. Here are some pics, none with me, as I was the photog. Included are Jedi Elvis (singing SW parodies to Presley hits), and costumed 501st members.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-31-2011, 01:53 PM
... and two more, with crowd shots, Vader reading Jack & the Beanstalk, and more costumers.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-27-2011, 11:29 AM
That's why I tend to not make more of an effort to go to that, unfortunately, as it seems exactly like what I feared. No Jedi Training Academy even?While this year's SWD was about the same when it came to "events" and fan discussions around the park, there was a cool aspect. They announced a minute before the 2:00pm picture-in-front-of-the-castle photo that there would be a Mary Poppins song performance (again :mad: ), so we had to wait until they finished (about 15 minutes later). But... after the pic, they said we'd be able to go over to the Jedi Training Academy and pose for a picture on that stage, WITH THE CHARACTERS! :thumbsup: So, this year's group photo likely will have Maul, Vader, 2 troopers, and the cast Jedi knights. Sweet! :D

JediTricks
06-27-2011, 03:09 PM
While this year's SWD was about the same when it came to "events" and fan discussions around the park, there was a cool aspect. They announced a minute before the 2:00pm picture-in-front-of-the-castle photo that there would be a Mary Poppins song performance (again :mad: ), so we had to wait until they finished (about 15 minutes later). But... after the pic, they said we'd be able to go over to the Jedi Training Academy and pose for a picture on that stage, WITH THE CHARACTERS! :thumbsup: So, this year's group photo likely will have Maul, Vader, 2 troopers, and the cast Jedi knights. Sweet! :DPerhaps it would be wise to simply change the timing on the group photo. That is pretty weird that they'd do an unannounced thing that delayed your picture 2 years in a row. At least you got to do the Academy stage thing, that's really cool.

Did you see Asimo at Innoventions? I went on Thursday for my mom's birthday, that was the thing we really wanted to do, and it was pretty darn cool (although Disney put it into a fictional "life" environment that was a lot more cheese than I had been expecting).

Bel-Cam Jos
06-27-2011, 04:12 PM
I wondered if they'd move the picture time to 1:30 in future years to avoid that "accidental" Mary poppin' in.

I saw Asimo several (many?) years back, and now he seems to be able to do more "stuff" (I didn't recall him being able to run then, and it looks pretty freaky to see that; and he moves his arms and hands more). This time, it was a different family's home.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-07-2011, 12:49 PM
The 2011 USWD photo is now up, but alas, it isn't the one we took at the Jedi Training Academy. I'm in the back row on the right, near the inserted Threepio, wearing a fedora.

http://www.starwarsdisneyland.com/

Bel-Cam Jos
11-23-2011, 11:07 AM
Our SW Day event at the local library apparently made it into the most current issue of SW Insider, in picture and blurb forms. :D

Bel-Cam Jos
05-24-2012, 09:43 AM
Another local library here has started a SW Day. Theirs seems to be exclusively indoors (good idea, since it was 90 degrees out that day). While I was there, it also seemed mainly kid-centered (balloon lightsabers with TP roll hilts, make-your-own space design picture frame - good for your posed photos with costumed characters, Jedi Elvis as MC with his lightsaber hilt microphone). A friend from the sci-fi book club at the closer library was doing a how-to-draw exhibition of Vader and R2D2. I never saw the trivia contest, and I didn't stay for the Wookiee yell competition/Threepio disco dance/something else. Pretty decent events for the first time.

(it's not letting me post pics now... will try [or do not] later :( ) ... it's amazing what happens when you complain online... :p

JediTricks
05-24-2012, 04:01 PM
That's pretty boss!

What is that kid doing in the first pic? :p Oh, that's what he's doing. ;)

Slicker
05-25-2012, 06:02 AM
Aayla Secura is lookin' a bit doughy in the mid-section.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-25-2012, 10:35 AM
I didn't notice Fish Boy out of water in the photo... not sure WHAT he's doing.

It was weirder when she'd move during the fights and you could see where she didn't have blue body paint.

Tomorrow is the "other" SW Day that I've attended several times in the past five years or so. Don't think I'll be able to make it this year; :( delayed Mother's Day activities with... mom! :)

Bel-Cam Jos
05-27-2012, 11:02 AM
BTW, the "5th annual" (according to their own website [see post #28 in this thread for a link], showing consecutive group photos back to 2005 :confused: :newmath: ) Unofficial SW Day at Disneyland, now held the last Sunday of each June, will be 6/24. I shan't be able to attend, due to other commitments. More room in the castle photo for other people now.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-13-2013, 09:12 PM
I wonder if this year's Unofficial Disney Day at Disneyland will be considered "official" this time.

Our local SW Day at the library this year falls on the 30th anniversary of ROJ. I will be helping out, I believe at some Ewok-themed activity.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-25-2013, 10:55 PM
Celebrate the love! I was one of the volunteers at the Ewok Drum Circle event at our library's most recent Star Wars Day (held on ROJ's 30th anniversary). Some pretty good costumes and lots of excited kids. Weather was good and clear.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-25-2013, 10:58 PM
Some other photos for everyone. If you live in the Inland Empire area of SoCal, try coming out for next year's SW Day (same time, different year).

JediTricks
05-26-2013, 12:05 AM
I wonder if this year's Unofficial Disney Day at Disneyland will be considered "official" this time.Yeah, that'd be pretty cool. I doubt it'll be this year's, the word would have probably leaked by now, but maybe next year. And I'm still wondering if they'll do something SW for D23 Expo in August.

Keep me in the loop on SW Disneyland Day, I'll try to make it.

Our local SW Day at the library this year falls on the 30th anniversary of ROJ. I will be helping out, I believe at some Ewok-themed activity.

Celebrate the love! I was one of the volunteers at the Ewok Drum Circle event at our library's most recent Star Wars Day (held on ROJ's 30th anniversary). Some pretty good costumes and lots of excited kids. Weather was good and clear.

Some other photos for everyone. If you live in the Inland Empire area of SoCal, try coming out for next year's SW Day (same time, different year).Very cute, how long did the Ewok drum circle last? Did anybody beat on the trooper helmet? Did anybody bring a copy of Yub Nub to drum to?

The Darth Talon-ette seems a bit "look at me" for a kid event (the actual character is much moreso in her garb though, but there's gotta be other, more kid-friendly female SW characters, doesn't there? Thinking, thinking... hmm, maybe not), but otherwise quite cool.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-26-2013, 10:23 AM
Yeah, that'd be pretty cool. I doubt it'll be this year's, the word would have probably leaked by now, but maybe next year. And I'm still wondering if they'll do something SW for D23 Expo in August.

Keep me in the loop on SW Disneyland Day, I'll try to make it.Sun. June 30th is this year's day. They switched it from Saturdays a couple years back since many passholders had those days blacked out. I'm not sure if I'll make it this time, but I can let you know.

Very cute, how long did the Ewok drum circle last? Did anybody beat on the trooper helmet? Did anybody bring a copy of Yub Nub to drum to?

The Darth Talon-ette seems a bit "look at me" for a kid event (the actual character is much moreso in her garb though, but there's gotta be other, more kid-friendly female SW characters, doesn't there? Thinking, thinking... hmm, maybe not), but otherwise quite cool.It went from 1-4pm... and almost non-stop. :handssorefromdrumming: :eek: The helmet (which was a bank, filled with some change inside) was supposed to be on a drum stand to beat on, but the plastic made no sound really; I turned it over and shook it side to side for percussion. Two small handheld drums were ripped, by the end the bucket drums were totally thu-rashed, and I think we lost a mini drum stick. :( I had CDs of both the SE ROJ and "original" songs, plus some others. I forgot to change the tracks a couple times, so Emperor's throne room songs played. But no one heard them anyway.

She was the most unusual SW costumer there; the white caped on-lift boots female taking pictures was quite odd. No idea who/what she was supposed to be.

JediTricks
05-26-2013, 04:20 PM
Sun. June 30th is this year's day. They switched it from Saturdays a couple years back since many passholders had those days blacked out. I'm not sure if I'll make it this time, but I can let you know.Yeah, keep me in the loop.

It went from 1-4pm... and almost non-stop. :handssorefromdrumming: :eek: The helmet (which was a bank, filled with some change inside) was supposed to be on a drum stand to beat on, but the plastic made no sound really; I turned it over and shook it side to side for percussion. Two small handheld drums were ripped, by the end the bucket drums were totally thu-rashed, and I think we lost a mini drum stick. :( I had CDs of both the SE ROJ and "original" songs, plus some others. I forgot to change the tracks a couple times, so Emperor's throne room songs played. But no one heard them anyway.

She was the most unusual SW costumer there; the white caped on-lift boots female taking pictures was quite odd. No idea who/what she was supposed to be.Oh, the helmet being a bank makes a lot more sense, those are pretty inexpensive. Makes sense it didn't drum though, it's PVC, doesn't resonate well.

Kids are pretty brutal with drums, I am not surprised they weren't treated worse. Cool beans on the music you brought, even if nobody heard.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-27-2013, 02:00 AM
Looks like a pretty cool event. But that woman's "Only Once, You Live" Yoda shirt is pretty cringetastic. For the love of God, I'm pretty sure they didn't have Twitter on Dagobah. :dead:

Bel-Cam Jos
05-27-2013, 12:02 PM
Looks like a pretty cool event. But that woman's "Only Once, You Live" Yoda shirt is pretty cringetastic. For the love of God, I'm pretty sure they didn't have Twitter on Dagobah. :dead:How else could Yoda handle being alone so long? Meditation? Think so, I do not.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-28-2013, 09:33 AM
For a few reasons (unforeseen car issues mainly, no SoCal summer passes anymore, forecast of close to 100 degrees, etc.), I will unlikely be able to attend this Sunday's Unofficial SW Day at Disneyland. :(

JediTricks
06-28-2013, 01:04 PM
For a few reasons (unforeseen car issues mainly, no SoCal summer passes anymore, forecast of close to 100 degrees, etc.), I will unlikely be able to attend this Sunday's Unofficial SW Day at Disneyland. :(That's disappointing to hear, but at the same time this Sunday would probably not be a great day for me to go down there after spending all day tomorrow at Botcon.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-05-2014, 04:29 PM
I attended the Geeks Who Drink: Let the Wookiee Win event in Denver yesterday and, naturally, won. :D My friend and sister were participating a little, and my parents wanted to come and watch, but I was the one who answered the questions – I missed six (mostly stupid mistakes or alternate answers they wouldn't accept) out of 80 questions and won $680. Each of the eight rounds had a theme – Mos Eisley, languages, special edition changes, choking, naming characters based on visuals, Imperial army, fill-in-the-blank quotes, and random. Might as well put all this trivial knowledge to good use. :p

Bel-Cam Jos
05-24-2014, 09:39 PM
The 2014 version of our local SW Day event had wonderful weather, and I ended up as a participant for the first time: running the Kids Readers Theater activity. We let the children read from a script (a parent gave me an obvious hint we somehow missed; tell the kids they need to know how to READ before selecting them to volunteer), I read the Prologue from the William Shakespeare's SW book, then they spun the Wheel of Bib Fortuna with different sounds to imitate (beep like a droid, roar like a Wookiee, lightsaber imitation, whine like Luke, etc.).

JediTricks
05-25-2014, 03:09 PM
Sorry I missed it, sounds like a real blast.

JimJamBonds
05-25-2014, 07:46 PM
Is that trooper waiving or telling that person to halt?

Bel-Cam Jos
05-26-2014, 12:39 AM
Or attempting a Force push. :p From the brief time I spoke with the guy behind the armor, I'd go with the "wave" over the "halt." We're a nice [Inland] Empire here. :pleased: