PDA

View Full Version : Wii? 360? PS3?

bigbarada
05-29-2008, 04:39 PM
Right now the only video game system that I own is a Nintendo Gamecube and I'm thinking about buying a new system. So what would be my best bet in getting a new system?

The Wii looks like a lot of fun, but they're impossible to find and I've been hearing complaints from hardcore gamers that it's really just a kid's system.

X-Box 360 looks really promising, but I'm getting confused with all the different versions of it. Arcade, Elite, Pro? What's the difference other than the price and the size of the hard drive?

I've heard that the PS3 is the most advanced system out there and the price is finally becoming reasonable. But right offhand I can't think of any big name games out there. It seems to me like the system is struggling and I don't want to spend $400 on a console that seems to be losing developer support. I owned a N64 for 5 years, I don't want to go through that again.

If I were to make my decision based on games alone, then I'd be gravitating towards the X-Box. I seems to have most of the games I'm interested in playing and it seems to have the most developer support. But again, I'm a little perplexed as to why there seems to be so many different versions.

I figured people have had enough time with all three systems by now that I could get an informed opinion before spending $250-$400. So, I'm humbly asking for any advice anyone is willing to give.

Beast
05-29-2008, 05:22 PM
The PS3 isn't struggling at all. And there's a number of great games.

It's also the most future proof Blu-Ray player on the market. Great deal for the money.

bigbarada
05-29-2008, 05:34 PM
I guess I'm just getting a false impression from the stores I've visited. It's been months since I've seen a single Wii at retail. There are usually only 1 or 2 X-Boxes (mostly Arcade versions). Then there are stacks of PS3s that no one is buying. But then again, I live in a small rural area in the midwest, so most people around here aren't too keen on spending so much for a video game system.

So, is Blue-Ray actually winning this little Blue-Ray vs. HD DVD war?

What big games are we talking about for PS3?

Beast
05-29-2008, 06:05 PM
The Wii is the cheapest system. So it's easier for parents to justify purcashing one for their kids. There's also been accusations that the company is purposefully limiting quanities in order to draw more interest to the system. There's no proof of course, but after months with the systems hardly available for purchase... I wouldn't be surprised. The PS3 also uses Blu-Ray discs for games, so they can hold a lot more content at a higher quality than the other systems formats. The PS3 seems to be selling pretty well according to the groups that track sales.

Considering HD-DVD folded and all the studios are on the Blu-Ray train as of a month or so ago, yep. The format war is over, and all studios are now moving forward with an agressive campaign of information and titles. The lone holdouts were Universal and Warner Bros. But when Toshiba threw in the towel, they quickly scampered back to the winning side. The first titles from both Universal and Warner just started coming out at the end of this month.

As for games... my bro currently has:

Devil May Cry 4 and Grand Theft Auto 4. With Metal Gear Solid 4 coming. (And some others)

I've got Lego Star Wars, Marvel Ultimate Alliance, Oblivion, and Lego Indy coming.

preacher
05-29-2008, 06:11 PM
I guess I don't get what makes the Wii a kids gaming system. I guess its because the system has very few mature games. Oh and the fact that you can count blades of grass in high def is apparently important to hardcore gamers. I've played games on XBOX 360, and the Playstation 3, and yes the graphics are vastly superior but both systems just seem in a rut churning out the same kinds of games over and over and over again. I played Bioshock and wasn't impressed as most people. And I will not ever buy an XBOX 360. the red circle of death, even if Microsoft offers 3 year warranty for those systems that have a red circle, is evidence of Microsoft's poor quality control and desire to shove a crappy product into the public to meet the xmax rush. And no I'm not a Microsoft hater. I own a Zune and love it.

Maybe its my changing tastes but my money went to the Wii because they are trying to do something new and yes I feel like I can have my 6 month old sit on my lap while I play and not worry about whether or not violence in games may or may not influence my daughter. I don't want to take a chance even if it isn't true. I'm a big lover of innovation. Anybody that says the Wii is a kids system obviously hasn't played Mario Galaxy, Wii Mario Kart, Metroid, Twilite Princess, Trauma Center, and a plethora of others.

It depends on your taste. If you want Eye Candy go for the next gen system. If you want innovation go with the Wii.

Lord Malakite
05-29-2008, 06:34 PM
Right now the only video game system that I own is a Nintendo Gamecube and I'm thinking about buying a new system. So what would be my best bet in getting a new system?
Depends on what games you are into really.

The Wii looks like a lot of fun, but they're impossible to find and I've been hearing complaints from hardcore gamers that it's really just a kid's system.
As a far as long term "hardcore" games go, it would have the least. Most of Wii's games are "pick up and play" party type games or are marketed toward the casual gamers. Of what few "hardcore" games Wii does have, most of the good ones are either PS2 ports or first party made (Zelda, Mario, Metroid, etc.). If you are a retro gamer though you can't beat the Wii. Aside from being able to play all your GameCube games, you can also download and play games from the Famicom/NES, Super Famicom/SNES, N64, Sega Mega Drive/Genesis, Sega SG-1000 Mark III/Master System, PC Engine/TurboGrafx-16, PC Engine CD-ROM/TurboGrafix-CD, Neo Geo, Game Gear, Commodore 64 (In Europe), and MSX (In Japan). In addition, Wii (like Xbox 360) has also started development on exclusive "Wiiware" downloadable games.

X-Box 360 looks really promising, but I'm getting confused with all the different versions of it. Arcade, Elite, Pro? What's the difference other than the price and the size of the hard drive?
These are the primary differences between the sets bigb. I tried to be simplistic as possible with listing the differences. Hopefully I'm not so vague that you can't follow along.

Xbox 360 Core: Price=Discontinued (Was $279.99 prior to discontinuation). Appearance=Matte white. Included storage=None. Controller=Matte white, wired. Ethernet cable=None. Xbox 360 Headset=None. Included audio/video cables/adapters=Composite (SD). HDMI port=No. Xbox Live membership=1 month Gold trial, Silver. Bundled games=Region specific.

Xbox 360 Arcade: Price=$279.99. Appearance=Matte white. Included storage=256 MB memory unit. Controller=Matte white, wireless. Ethernet cable=None. Xbox 360 Headset=None. Included audio/video cables/adapters=Composite (SD). HDMI port=Yes. Xbox Live membership=1 month Gold trial, Silver. Bundled games= Xbox Live Arcade compilation disc (Boom Boom Rocket, Feeding Frenzy, Luxor 2, Pac-Man Championship Edition, UNO).

Xbox 360 Premium/Pro: Price=$349.99. Appearance=Matte white, chrome disc drawer. Included storage=20 GB HDD. Controller=Matte white, wireless. Ethernet cable=Yes. Xbox 360 Headset=Yes (excluding Mexico and New Zealand where a Media Remote is bundled instead). Included audio/video cables/adapters=Hybrid Component/Composite (HD/SD). HDMI port=Yes (HDMI port included on Premiums from July 2007 onwards). Xbox Live membership=1 month Gold trial, Silver. Bundled games=Hexic HD (Included in New Zealand Viva Pinata, Forza Motorsport 2).

Xbox 360 Elite: Price=$449.99. Appearance=Matte black, chrome disc drawer. Included storage=120 GB HDD. Controller=Matte black, wireless. Ethernet cable=Yes. Xbox 360 Headset=Yes, Matte black. Included audio/video cables/adapters=HDMI 1.2 (HD) Hybrid Component/Composite (HD/SD) Digital/Analogue audio dongle. HDMI port=Yes. Xbox Live membership=1 month Gold trial, Silver. Bundled games=Hexic HD.

Xbox 360 Halo 3 Special Edition: Price=Discontinued: (Was $399.99 prior to discontinuation). Appearance=Spartan green and gold. Included storage=20 GB HDD. Controller=Spartan green and gold, wireless. Ethernet cable=Yes. Xbox 360 Headset=Yes, Spartan green and gold. Included audio/video cables/adapters=Hybrid Component/Composite (HD/SD). HDMI port=Yes. Xbox Live membership=1 month Gold trial, Silver. Bundled games=Hexic HD (Also includes exclusive dashboard theme and downloads).

Xbox 360 Simpsons Movie Special Edition: Price=Discontinued: (Was part of a Giveaway, only 10 made). Appearance=Simpson yellow. Included storage=20 GB HDD. Controller=Simpson yellow. Ethernet cable=Yes. Xbox 360 Headset=Yes, Simpson yellow. Included audio/video cables/adapters=Hybrid Component/Composite (HD/SD). HDMI port=Yes. Xbox Live membership=1 month Gold trial, Silver. Bundled games=Hexic HD.

I've heard that the PS3 is the most advanced system out there and the price is finally becoming reasonable. But right offhand I can't think of any big name games out there. It seems to me like the system is struggling and I don't want to spend $400 on a console that seems to be losing developer support. I owned a N64 for 5 years, I don't want to go through that again.
Most of the big name games available on the PS3 are also available on the Xbox 360. The biggest thing going for PS3 at the moment is the fact that it can double as a cheap Blu-Ray player.

If I were to make my decision based on games alone, then I'd be gravitating towards the X-Box. I seems to have most of the games I'm interested in playing and it seems to have the most developer support. But again, I'm a little perplexed as to why there seems to be so many different versions.
Xbox 360 definately has the most games of the 3 systems, as well as probably the best online content for download/expansion based games. As for why so many Xbox 360 consoles, I'd say because its Microsoft. They treat the home console market like it were the PC market. :D

JetsAndHeels
05-29-2008, 06:40 PM

They are all the same system, but like you said some come with different hard drive sizes and other features.

The 360 arcade version comes with 5 xbox live arcade games: PacMan championship edition, UNO,
Luxor 2, Boom Boom Rocket, and Feeding Frenzy.

The Elite version comes with the 120gb drive, a black finish, a black wireless remote, a black headset, and an HDMI cable.

The pro version of course has the 20gb drive.

My advice to you is just go for whatever you feel you will get the most out of. You mentioned the 360 seemed to have the most games you would be interested in. If so, get that, and just purchase the regular system, the $349 one. Unless you want the black finish system or you want those arcade titles, there really is no need to spend the extra bucks when really its the same thing.

I have a 360 and have been very happy with it. I love the Halo series so of course that was a no brainer. Of course I also own both of Sony's previous consoles (I don't have a PS3) so I like their systems as well.

Good luck.

El Chuxter
05-29-2008, 08:34 PM
The Wii is probably the system for you, if you like the GameCube. It's getting a reputation as a kids' system for the same reason the Cube did: the focus is on gameplay rather than flashy graphics and edgy content. Also, they're going after a wider market (including moms, the elderly, etc) rather than focusing on 20- and 30-something guys.

Mario Kart Wii and Mario Party 8 are two of the most fun games I've ever played. I've already gotten my $80 worth out of Wii Fit in just a week. Even many of the third-party games, which get shoddy reviews, are a lot of fun. (I can't fathom how people don't love Mario & Sonic at the Olympics. That game rules.)

BTW, they're not purposefully limiting content. Right now, however, the US dollar is down, and it's more profitable to sell the Wii in Europe and Japan, so the bulk of production is going to those two markets. Nintendo reps have said there should be more coming here fairly soon. (Of course, this isn't the first time they've said it.)

Plus, there's backward compatibility with the GC (though I'd recommend trying to get a WaveBird if you can find one, since there can be a mess of wires in front of the TV otherwise, depending on your setup).

It probably boils down to whether you want Grand Theft Auto 4. I could really not care less.

bigbarada
05-29-2008, 09:09 PM
Actually finding a Wii would be the real trick, though.

If I were to actually buy the X-Box Arcade, and found that I needed more memory down the line, do they sell memory cards or external hard drives or whatever you would need for that system? What is the point of all that memory anyway?

figrin bran
05-29-2008, 10:33 PM
I have a 360 as well and am very happy with it.

BigB, they sell both memory cards and external hard drives. You need them in order to save your progress in games as well as other sorts of data. If you download games or other content from Xbox live, you'll definitely need it. Guitar Hero and Rock Band are the games that I play mainly and they have songs that are only available via download.

The memory cards aren't really necessary though unless you plan to play a lot at other people's homes and want to use your game saves.

El Chuxter
05-30-2008, 12:18 AM
Actually finding a Wii would be the real trick, though.

I wouldn't go so far as to say they're common, but I've noticed a lot more recently. If you're able to hit stores when they open, you might have better luck.

jjreason
05-30-2008, 01:06 AM
The Wii is starting to show up again, I've finally seen a few at retail over the past couple of weeks - the first since before Christmas.

I have a PS3, but I made my decision based on 2 things: Metal Gear Solid 4 and Blu-Ray. If the PS3 didn't offer both, I'd have a Wii.

bigbarada
05-30-2008, 02:02 AM
I stopped by Wal-Mart to see what my choices are and of course the Wiis are all sold out (even though they just received a brand new shipment yesterday), a few of the $350 X-Boxes, one $450 X-Box, and several PS3s.

I've decided that I'm going to hold off for a bit longer. I'm going to England next week for a few days, so I'll probably just wait until I get back to make a decision.

JediTricks
05-30-2008, 03:05 AM
I guess I don't get what makes the Wii a kids gaming system. I guess its because the system has very few mature games. Oh and the fact that you can count blades of grass in high def is apparently important to hardcore gamers. I've played games on XBOX 360, and the Playstation 3, and yes the graphics are vastly superior but both systems just seem in a rut churning out the same kinds of games over and over and over again. I played Bioshock and wasn't impressed as most people. And I will not ever buy an XBOX 360. the red circle of death, even if Microsoft offers 3 year warranty for those systems that have a red circle, is evidence of Microsoft's poor quality control and desire to shove a crappy product into the public to meet the xmax rush. And no I'm not a Microsoft hater. I own a Zune and love it.

Maybe its my changing tastes but my money went to the Wii because they are trying to do something new and yes I feel like I can have my 6 month old sit on my lap while I play and not worry about whether or not violence in games may or may not influence my daughter. I don't want to take a chance even if it isn't true. I'm a big lover of innovation. Anybody that says the Wii is a kids system obviously hasn't played Mario Galaxy, Wii Mario Kart, Metroid, Twilite Princess, Trauma Center, and a plethora of others.

It depends on your taste. If you want Eye Candy go for the next gen system. If you want innovation go with the Wii.It's not just eye candy, it's the whole game, the way the characters move, the types of AI behaviors, the physics engines, everything. The Wii cannot run The Force Unleashed's advanced physics engines and character behavior systems which give it the added realism and superior play that the true Next Gen systems can deliver, which is why Lucasarts is using a lesser version of the game, similar to the outsourced 3rd party developed PS2 version.

BTW, I haven't decided on whether I'm going to get a PS3 or an Xbox 360 for when the TFU comes out. I had been leaning towards the 360 when it was cheaper, but it's not that much cheaper anymore if you want harddrive space, and I don't like the idea of having to subscribe to Xbox Live just to play games online (I'm not totally sure how this works, I could be wrong, but I don't need to pay a monthly subscription to play SW Battlefront II, so why should I for other games?). On the other hand, the PS3 is still noticeably more expensive, but it has Wifi and Blu-ray which the 360 doesn't. But the base model PS3 has some real drawbacks, it doesn't play PS2 games (they intentionally took this feature out, no less, so you'd HAVE to buy the premium) and doesn't have a memcard reader. Also, I don't like how the problems with GTA4 went down on the PS3, that was not handled well.

At this point, the 360 offers lower initial costs, a longer list of titles including legacy into the original system's games, and I believe it acts as a Windows Media Center bridge; but if what I understand about xbox live is true, the system will be miserably expensive for online play, and it completely lacks a next-gen DVD player which also means game data is less than PS3 (though as I understand it, so far there's been no game that's actually needed more than standard DVD sizes).

Meanwhile, the PS3 offers next-gen DVD playback and storage, wifi, a superior processor system (that is harder to write for, supposedly), free online capability, and it works with regular bluetooth headsets. However, it's more expensive and supposedly the operating system is clunky compared to the 360.

If I'm wrong about xbox live (which I hope I am), then it seems like the 360 offers the greater deal.

figrin bran
05-30-2008, 12:00 PM
If I'm wrong about xbox live (which I hope I am), then it seems like the 360 offers the greater deal.

JT, xbox live has silver (free) and gold (paid) memberships. If you wanted to play, let's say Halo 3 online, you'd most likely need a gold membership.

El Chuxter
05-30-2008, 01:08 PM
It's not just eye candy, it's the whole game, the way the characters move, the types of AI behaviors, the physics engines, everything. The Wii cannot run The Force Unleashed's advanced physics engines and character behavior systems which give it the added realism and superior play that the true Next Gen systems can deliver, which is why Lucasarts is using a lesser version of the game, similar to the outsourced 3rd party developed PS2 version.

All the bells and whistles in the world don't mean much if the game isn't great. (Some of the best videogames ever made were for the original NES, hardly a powerhouse machine.) The only game I've played on either next gen system that I actually enjoyed was a racing game of some sort on the PS3. Given that I'm not going to spend that ridiculous amount on a PS3 and then pay $60 per game, I can pass.

Most people won't notice things like physics, as long as the gameplay is enjoyable. I'm planning on getting TFU this fall. I don't care if the Stormtroopers fall over a different way every time they're killed. Or even if the AI makes them react a different way every time the game is played. How many people play any level of a first-person shooter more than once, anyway?

(There sure are a lot of first-person shooters for those two systems.)

I'm kinda odd, though. I'm apparently one of only seven people in the country who bought one of these newfangled systems and doesn't care about playing online. (Mario Kart is changing that, though... as soon as I feel I can compete without embarassing myself too badly. ;))

bigbarada
05-30-2008, 02:44 PM
As of right now, I have no interest at all in online play. In fact, I'm really not that big on multiplayer games in general. I prefer the single-player experience above everything else.

I'm really wanting some good first person shooters and X-Box looks to be the best system for that at the moment.

Beast
05-30-2008, 03:21 PM
If you're still toying with the PS3 at all... Wal-Mart will be offering the PS3 starting June 8th to the 15th for $399. Yeah, that's normal price.... but you also get a $100 Wal-Mart gift card if you buy it during the sale. :)

Lord Malakite
05-30-2008, 06:18 PM
As of right now, I have no interest at all in online play. In fact, I'm really not that big on multiplayer games in general. I prefer the single-player experience above everything else.
While I'm not opposed to the idea of experiencing online multiplayer I'd probably consider myself in the same boat as you on this. The biggest interests I'd have with online is the ability to download older games (re-released in online format), new games (made exclusively for download purposes), and extra download content for disc games (new missions in Grand Theft Auto IV, new songs in Guitar Hero III, etc.).

bigbarada
05-31-2008, 01:52 AM
If you're still toying with the PS3 at all... Wal-Mart will be offering the PS3 starting June 8th to the 15th for $399. Yeah, that's normal price.... but you also get a $100 Wal-Mart gift card if you buy it during the sale. :)

Hmmm, verra verra interesting. I might have to take that into consideration.

If I buy the $350 X-Box with one game, that would be $410 before tax. With this promotion I could get a PS3 with 2 games for $420.

Thanks for the heads up.:thumbsup:

preacher
05-31-2008, 07:42 PM
It's not just eye candy, it's the whole game, the way the characters move, the types of AI behaviors, the physics engines, everything. The Wii cannot run The Force Unleashed's advanced physics engines and character behavior systems which give it the added realism and superior play that the true Next Gen systems can deliver, which is why Lucasarts is using a lesser version of the game, similar to the outsourced 3rd party developed PS2 version.

But I guess that's my point. I don't need that much realism from a game. I don't want a convoluted story in a game filled with nothing but cutscenes. If I want physics or complicated story I'll opt to rent a DVD from a Red Box Kiosk and get my fix for a buck and some change. If those sorts of mechanics are important to the player they shouldn't get a Wii.

bigbarada
06-01-2008, 01:38 AM
Okay, I just saw ads for Street Fighter 4 during the EliteXC fights on CBS this evening. Whatever game system that's coming out on, that's the one I'm going to buy.:love:

figrin bran
06-01-2008, 02:36 AM
Okay, I just saw ads for Street Fighter 4 during the EliteXC fights on CBS this evening. Whatever game system that's coming out on, that's the one I'm going to buy.:love:

I believe it's coming out for PS3, Xbox360 and PC. Doesn't help you out any bit, does it? :p

Beast
06-01-2008, 10:52 AM
Apperantly the sale actually started today. But it will also continue into next week's ad.

And even better if you don't like Wal-Mart, Best Buy has chosen to match the offer.

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p233/TAKEwhatWEwant/match.jpg

Blue2th
06-01-2008, 12:09 PM
Like you I haven't decided which gaming system to upgrade to. I still have all my Super Nintendo, N64, and X-Box stuff.

I am leaning towards the PS3 simply because I want a Blueray player, and I can kill two birds with one stone.
Buying a game system then buying a separate Blueray player would be expensive.

JediTricks
06-01-2008, 07:39 PM
JT, xbox live has silver (free) and gold (paid) memberships. If you wanted to play, let's say Halo 3 online, you'd most likely need a gold membership.That's what I thought the situation was, and it sucks.

All the bells and whistles in the world don't mean much if the game isn't great. (Some of the best videogames ever made were for the original NES, hardly a powerhouse machine.) The only game I've played on either next gen system that I actually enjoyed was a racing game of some sort on the PS3. Given that I'm not going to spend that ridiculous amount on a PS3 and then pay $60 per game, I can pass.

Most people won't notice things like physics, as long as the gameplay is enjoyable. I'm planning on getting TFU this fall. I don't care if the Stormtroopers fall over a different way every time they're killed. Or even if the AI makes them react a different way every time the game is played. How many people play any level of a first-person shooter more than once, anyway?

(There sure are a lot of first-person shooters for those two systems.)This is a poor argument IMO, they're apples and oranges and you're trying to make an orange taste like an apple. Pac Man is a good game, that doesn't mean it's the ONLY game or that there weren't better games later. SW Battlefront wouldn't be possible on an 8-bit system, even a 16-bit system couldn't play 1 level, yet that game is super rad and there's nothing on those machines that could replicate that kind of game play. The AI behavior is a big part of game play, and the physics engine is too, how your enemy and your world reacts is a big part of how the game play will be. The same canned reactions and behaviors of the baddies, that gets old fast, it doesn't hold the same realism. Also, with a different engine handling those systems, it frees up more room to make bigger graphics, better weapons, and more expansive play. No matter how much you claim "bells and whistles aren't everything", the reality is that the advance in technology is what separates Pole Position from Gran Turisimo.

I'm really wanting some good first person shooters and X-Box looks to be the best system for that at the moment.I can't get by without my daily fix of SW Battlefront II online, but if you can, seems like the xbox 360 is the machine for you, it's cheaper and has more games.

But I guess that's my point. I don't need that much realism from a game. I don't want a convoluted story in a game filled with nothing but cutscenes. If I want physics or complicated story I'll opt to rent a DVD from a Red Box Kiosk and get my fix for a buck and some change. If those sorts of mechanics are important to the player they shouldn't get a Wii.It's not just a question of lower graphics quality in gameplay or cutscenes, it's a different game, a game conceived and designed specifically for the next-gen systems, to make huge worlds and bigger, more original gameplay. If we were talking about the PS3 vs the DS version, there'd be no discussion to have, we all know the DS version isn't going to be the same game minus a few pretty things, it's going to be a port with the same characters and maybe the same plotline, but different play. That's the same with the Wii, all the pretense in the world won't change that, it's just that Wii owners want to see their system in the same light as other next-gen systems despite the fact that it is a different animal and gamewise is on par with the PS2 and Xbox, not their successors.

Banthaholic
06-01-2008, 08:26 PM
As an owner of the Wii since day 1, I would highly recommend picking it up to any one remotely interested in the Nintendo line of games. X-box and PS don't interest me in the slightest. There have been some SW games for past platforms I would have liked to play, but for me Zelda and Mario Kart are reason alone to have a Wii. The pure simplicity of the system, yet being able to maintain similar gameplay without 16 buttons to hit is great.

Fancy graphics and AI packages are no match for a good Wii-mote at your side.

El Chuxter
06-02-2008, 12:11 AM
This is a poor argument IMO, they're apples and oranges and you're trying to make an orange taste like an apple. Pac Man is a good game, that doesn't mean it's the ONLY game or that there weren't better games later. SW Battlefront wouldn't be possible on an 8-bit system, even a 16-bit system couldn't play 1 level, yet that game is super rad and there's nothing on those machines that could replicate that kind of game play. The AI behavior is a big part of game play, and the physics engine is too, how your enemy and your world reacts is a big part of how the game play will be. The same canned reactions and behaviors of the baddies, that gets old fast, it doesn't hold the same realism. Also, with a different engine handling those systems, it frees up more room to make bigger graphics, better weapons, and more expansive play. No matter how much you claim "bells and whistles aren't everything", the reality is that the advance in technology is what separates Pole Position from Gran Turisimo.

Huh?

My point is, and I still stand by it, that the actual gameplay was the focus on systems with more limited capabilities. That doesn't mean there are no good games on more advanced systems, but, quite a bit of the time, the focus seems to be on making the flashiest game possible, with actual play value being second.

Does this mean Battlefront is a bad game? Not at all. I love Battlefront. There are plenty of newer games that have excellent gameplay.

However, for my money, the Wii is a better system simply because it has more games that are more fun. Of all the games I've seen and played on the XBox 360 and PS3 (not counting games from the preceding systems that play on the new ones), I can count one game that actually impressed me. It was a racing game. However, Mario Kart Wii beats it, IMO, because it's more entertaining.

It boils down to what the player wants. If you want first-person shooters, the Wii is not the game for you. That's what most of the games I've seen for the other two are. (And, really, Halo and Grand Theft Auto don't impress me in the slightest.) However, if you want a wide variety of games, the Wii is better.

I also considered when recommending it that BigB has a GameCube, and, therefore, already has several games that will play on the Wii.

bigbarada
06-02-2008, 04:38 PM
The more I think about it, the more I realize that I should probably just get the Wii. I've been a loyal Nintendo fan since 1993 when I first played Legend of Zelda on the SNES. I felt a little burned by the N64, but I've been very, very happy with the Gamecube.

I could buy an X-Box or PS3 now, but I'd just have to buy a Wii later on anyway when they come out with new Zelda and Animal Crossing games. Might as well get the Wii now and if I feel the urge to get one of the other systems, well there's no rule saying I can't own more than one.

Zelen
06-04-2008, 06:48 PM
get the xbox360. in long run, it will save u $$$ in terms of games.
1 of the advantage of having xbox360 is it can be hacked/modded to enable it to run cheap copied games.(u'll save alot $$$ on games) and no, u wont get banned from live.I have a modded 360 & I still can play online.
According to most reviews, the graphic is nicer compare to ps3....well, it is definitely worth gettting it..
in my opinion, ps3 is not 100% ready yet.especially ps3 online network comunity.so why wait when u can play live now with xbox 360.u pay money for the console so that u can enjoy the priveleges not sit around n WAIT til it is 100% fully ready. blueray games are not cheap too...

bigbarada
06-18-2008, 12:13 PM
Well, thanks for all the advice, but I did end up getting a Wii. They just happened to show up one day when I was at Wal-Mart. I've been playing Zelda: Twilight Princess and Mario Galaxy and I have absolutely no regrets at all (except for spending $50 on MySims, that game sucks - give me Animal Crossing anyday).

It's a great system and I'm amazed at how well the control system works. I was laying on a beanbag chair in front of the TV holding the Wii remote behind my head pointing it down to the floor and the sensor bar was still picking everything up without any delay or lag.

I never should have doubted Nintendo. I know that the N64 was supposed to be one of their biggest missteps, but some of the greatest video games I have ever played have been on that system.

DarthQuack
06-18-2008, 01:04 PM
For those who would like a case for Wii Sports and or Link's Crossbow training I picked this (http://cgi.ebay.com/LINKS-CROSSBOW-AND-WII-SPORTS-GAME-CASE-MANY-DESIGNS_W0QQitemZ150259373430QQihZ005QQcategoryZ13 9973QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem) up, I even did a best offer of 1.00 and it was automatically accepted....Well recommended.

jamesbondo07
06-18-2008, 01:07 PM
You will be happy with the Wii. The games are a lot of fun and the focus is on being fun not just graphics. I have both a Wii and a XBOX and I enjoy both. The XBOX for more hardcore gaming and the Wii for party games like Mario Kart and other multiplayer games.

El Chuxter
06-18-2008, 02:38 PM
DQ, if you have a color printer, you can find those free on the internet. Of course, the empty cases could run more than $1 if you don't have them lying around, since it seems impossible to buy them in sets of less than ten for some reason.

Lord Malakite
06-18-2008, 08:40 PM
Well, JBF just picked up the PS3 today so he could play Metal Gear Solid 4 and start buying/replacing his DVD collection with Blu-ray for his HD TV/surround system entertainment setup in his bedroom. He went with the cheap version that doesn't feature backwards PS1/PS2 compatibility (which seems kind of dumb to me, if you are going to get it some "ultra" setup thing going like he has you might as well get the best version possible). So anyway, to cut to the chase, he now has all three of the current console systems (PS3, Xbox 360, and Wii). He is also now talking of possibly picking up a DS Lite, though we already have both an original DS and DS Lite laying about thanks to two of our other siblings. And I still can't even find myself a Wii. :sad:

preacher
06-19-2008, 12:47 PM
Well, thanks for all the advice, but I did end up getting a Wii. They just happened to show up one day when I was at Wal-Mart. I've been playing Zelda: Twilight Princess and Mario Galaxy and I have absolutely no regrets at all (except for spending $50 on MySims, that game sucks - give me Animal Crossing anyday)..

Excellent choices! You might consider Metroid Corruption also. Assuming you tried out and like the first two Metroid Prime games of course.

JediTricks
06-19-2008, 06:52 PM
He went with the cheap version that doesn't feature backwards PS1/PS2 compatibility (which seems kind of dumb to me, if you are going to get it some "ultra" setup thing going like he has you might as well get the best version possible). The new Premium version only plays PS2 games through emulation, not hardware, which I think sucks - I know someone who got a PS3 and it doesn't seem to play SW Battlefront II as smoothly as his PS2 does. Also, I believe both the regular and premium new PS3s play PS1 games.

Lord Malakite
06-20-2008, 12:45 AM
The new Premium version only plays PS2 games through emulation, not hardware, which I think sucks - I know someone who got a PS3 and it doesn't seem to play SW Battlefront II as smoothly as his PS2 does. Also, I believe both the regular and premium new PS3s play PS1 games.
Yeah, Beast pointed the PS1 thing out in an IM. :yes: Its been a while since I've looked at the differences between different versions of the PS3. I knew there was a backwards issue but I forgot if it was just PS2 or both PS1 & PS2. As for the PS2 thing (emulation on the 80GB vs. hardware on the 60GB), while they are indeed different when you get down to the technical issues, the general premise I was getting at, regardless of which you are talking about, is more or less the same (being able to play PS2 games on PS3) and the fact that JBF went with the cheaper 40GB PS3 that didn't have that ability period. ;)

bigbarada
06-20-2008, 10:32 AM
Excellent choices! You might consider Metroid Corruption also. Assuming you tried out and like the first two Metroid Prime games of course.

I do plan to check that one out, I'm interested to see how it plays with the Wii controls. I never really got into the N64 and GC versions of the game, but I think that was because I was always getting lost. So, if I buy this new version I think I'll make sure to pick up a strategy guide also. Anyways, thanks for the recommendation.:cool:

JediTricks
06-20-2008, 04:48 PM
Yeah, Beast pointed the PS1 thing out in an IM. :yes: Its been a while since I've looked at the differences between different versions of the PS3. I knew there was a backwards issue but I forgot if it was just PS2 or both PS1 & PS2. As for the PS2 thing (emulation on the 80GB vs. hardware on the 60GB), while they are indeed different when you get down to the technical issues, the general premise I was getting at, regardless of which you are talking about, is more or less the same (being able to play PS2 games on PS3) and the fact that JBF went with the cheaper 40GB PS3 that didn't have that ability period. ;)As I understand it, the good thing about the emulation is that it was patched to upscale the PS2 graphics to 1080p; the bad thing is the emulation still can't play about 30% of the games out there right now.

If he owns a slimline PS2, it seems like a reasonable thing to save $200 there, that's a HUGE chunk of change for twice the harddrive space, a flash card reader, 2 more USB ports, and PS2 emulation. And I'm betting he does have a PS2.

Lord Malakite
06-20-2008, 09:12 PM
I never really got into the N64 and GC versions of the game, but I think that was because I was always getting lost.
You didn't miss much on the N64, seeing as there was no N64 Metroid. ;)

If he owns a slimline PS2, it seems like a reasonable thing to save $200 there, that's a HUGE chunk of change for twice the harddrive space, a flash card reader, 2 more USB ports, and PS2 emulation. And I'm betting he does have a PS2.
Actually he doesn't. There is indeed a PS2 (the original model, not the slimline) in our home (which is why PS2 and PS1 games are listed under our video game list linked to in my sig line), but it isn't his. It belongs to our younger siblings. I should also point out that the PS2, as of the moment anyway, is non-functional. Its suffering from one of the all too common "read disc error" laser problems that are notorious on the original PS2. Which problem, who knows. They tried several of the quick fix methods of getting it to work, from wiping the lens to checking the motors. Looks like they'll either have to buy a replacement original model PS2 laser, a new slimline model PS2, or a PS3 (preferably one with the PS2 hardware or PS2 emulation ability) if they wish to continue playing their PS1 and PS2 games.

El Chuxter
06-20-2008, 10:25 PM
Speaking of Metroid, the classic was one of the first games I downloaded from the virtual console.

Maybe it's just because I eventually whomped it back in the day, but I recall that game being much harder. I beat it in about two or three hours.

bigbarada
06-21-2008, 12:03 AM
You didn't miss much on the N64, seeing as there was no N64 Metroid. ;)

Oh whoops! I guess there were two GC versions.

Speaking of Metroid, the classic was one of the first games I downloaded from the virtual console.

Maybe it's just because I eventually whomped it back in the day, but I recall that game being much harder. I beat it in about two or three hours.

Speaking of the virtual console, how does one go about setting that up? I really want to play the original SNES version of Harvest Moon again. It's still the best version of the game IMO, I think the later versions are a little to complicated and the newest versions are becoming way too cutesy.

Lord Malakite
06-21-2008, 04:27 AM
Speaking of the virtual console, how does one go about setting that up? I really want to play the original SNES version of Harvest Moon again. It's still the best version of the game IMO, I think the later versions are a little to complicated and the newest versions are becoming way too cutesy.

The first thing you need to do is connect your Wii to the Internet. This can be done various ways depending on your current setup.

The unit can connect to the Internet by utilizing its 802.11b/g Wi-Fi, which is built in, for wireless connections or via a USB-to-Ethernet adaptor for DSL connections.

For your wireless connection or Wi-Fi, the 802.11b Wi-Fi has a data rate of 11 Mbits per second and has an indoor range of 30m or approximately 98 ft. The 802.11g has the same indoor range, however the data rate is at 54 Mbits per second. If you have an existing wireless connection or are in a Wi-Fi hotspot, the unit will connect to your wireless connection automatically out of the box. If you do not have a wireless network, however, you will need to have your wireless network subscription done or set-up first. Once you have wireless Internet access, you then search for your access point, put in your security settings and youíre good to go. It would also be advisable to have a wireless router for this so that you wonít have to shuttle the connection between your PC and your Wii. Another option would be to connect your Wii via the Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector. This accessory (sold seperately on Nintendo's official website) allows Nintendo Wii users who do not have an existing Wi-Fi connection or a compatible Wi-Fi network to create one through their broadband or DSL connected computer. This is inserted into your existing computerís USB port and the Wi-Fi USB Connector acts as a wireless access point for the Wii. This allows the user access to the internet and to play Wi-Fi Connection games from Nintendo Online.

For your DSL connection, however, you will need to have quite a few things. You can use a WII LAN adapter (sold seperately) to connect your Wii to your DSL modem. You can also use a router so that you can use your PC and your Wii at the same time. With the LAN Adapter though, to use or plug in the Wii, you must disconnect your PC. This can be quite tedious since you will have to plug in and out your PC and your Wii every time you need to use one or the other. A LAN Adapter is fairly cheap, but if you get a router, your PC and your Wii can go online at the same time, saving you the hassle of connecting one or the other when you need them. You can then hook up the existing ethernet cords to the back of the router and connect it to the Wii via a USB 2.0 cord.

After you are connected it is a simple matter of going to the Wii Shop Channel, purchasing Wii points with a Visa or Mastercard (if you didn't already buy some via a Wii points card at a retail outlet), and then spending those Wii points on the Virtual Console game you want. SNES Harvest Moon will cost you 800 Wii points ($8) to purchase/download.

Tycho
02-28-2009, 05:31 PM
I really like my Nintendo Wii and I'm having lots of fun with all kinds of friends of mine with much varied interests - they're all playing the Wii with me.

Darth Jax
02-26-2010, 07:11 PM
A couple of years later what are people's thoughts on Xbox, PS3 and Wii. Should i finally bite the bullet and pick up a Wii or is it better to wait for the next generation of systems?

Tycho
02-26-2010, 07:20 PM
In the time I have to play video games (which isn't much) I still love my Wii.

I play baseball and football mainly, but enjoy bowling, golf, and tennis too.

Lego Star Wars and Indiana Jones run well on all the systems I'm sure. They're great games.

I really am not as impressed with Wii motions for SW games like Clone Wars and Force Unleashed - perhaps because the lightsaber attack motions seem random - or perhaps because I just haven't had interest in playing them very much. I never got past the first level in Force Unleashed, but I've probably spent less than 1/2 hour playing it.

But that's my 2 cents. Please ask others their opinion.

Eventually I may get a PS3, as that is supposed to also be the best BluRay available. However, aside from a WWII video game or something, I may not buy any more games for it. I would primarily look into it as a BluRay player.

JediTricks
02-26-2010, 07:21 PM
I was just talking to my friend Kell Dragon about this a few hours ago. He mentioned he bought the Wii Clone Wars lightsaber duel game for $10, and hated it so much he returned it for his money back the same day. To him, everything on the system is waggle (the sensing motion is basically just vague shaking of the controller), and the AI is never really smart enough or interesting enough to make it fun.

I also pointed out that game add-ons were limited by Nintendo's WiiWare file size requirements. So where I can get awesome games on the PS3 to have new levels simply by downloading them (The Force Unleashed, Batman Arkham Asylum), that is far more limited on the Wii.

I dig my PS3 more now that I've got an HDTV, but I dug it when I was on SD as well. It's a good system, and now that it's $300, it's a good deal. The 360 I haven't experienced, but depending on what you're looking for, it may be a better machine - it's not as good for HD since it has no blu-ray (that matters for larger games too, TFU special edition is 2 discs on 360 and just 1 on PS3), but it has backwards compatibility to the large and inexpensive xbox 1 game library. Both are superior online machines to the Wii. And the PS3 and 360 update their operating systems to be better than they were a year ago (the PS3 is the better at this by far though, adding new features and new ways to use existing features).

El Chuxter
02-26-2010, 08:49 PM
I still dig the Wii. Unfortunately, the vast majority of third-party games suck, and third parties were quick to jump on when it became clear the Wii was a hit, and Nintendo seems to have totally abandoned any attempt at quality control. When they're good, they're good. Most games actually made by Nintendo are incredible. And there are still plenty of third-party games that are quite enjoyable; you just have to know which ones.

Lord Malakite
02-27-2010, 02:51 AM
Unfortunately, the vast majority of third-party games suck, and third parties were quick to jump on when it became clear the Wii was a hit, and Nintendo seems to have totally abandoned any attempt at quality control.
Nah, Nintendo never abandoned their quality control. Its basically the same as it has always been. The bad games are just more noticeable on the Wii due to the following:
A)The motion control thing is relatively new tech to be implemented in terms of video games, so most third party companies are still trying to figure out if/when/how they should implement it so it doesn't come off as just a cheap novelty.
B)Wii is the first Nintendo home console since the SNES to receive large scale third party support, hence more turd games clogging shelves. The past two generations (N64 and GCN) were practically supported on first party and second party alone (which are, for Nintendo home consoles anyway, usually of a higher caliber due to being made by Nintendo or by having heavy Nintendo involvement). Near zero third party support, less crap to notice over/outweigh the good stuff. Don't believe me go back and look at some of the horrible stuff released back during the NES and SNES days (both consoles heavily supported by third party companies) compared to the N64 and GCN. Especially the games by companies that bypassed Nintendo "5 games a year" policy by either making multiple "no-name" branch-off sub-companies and/or reverse engineered/shorted out the NES's security system to make "unlicensed" NES game carts.