PDA

View Full Version : Indiana Jones Props

Jayspawn
06-01-2008, 07:07 PM
The long-awaited Indiana Jones replica license has gone to The Noble Collection!

The Noble Collection currently has the licenses for Batman, 300, LOTR, Narnia, and Harry Potter among others.

So far, NC has the machette from Temple and Indy's bullwhip. The price is alright, but I think most people were hoping for some relic-themed props.

My personal wishlist includes...

Fertility Idol
Staffpiece of Ra
Shankara Stone
Remains of Nurhachi w/ Antidote
Cross of Coronado
The Grail Diary
The Holy Grail
The False Grail
The Grail Tablet

Hopefully some of these are on NC's drawingboard.

JediTricks
06-01-2008, 07:48 PM
$200 for a brown leather bullwhip? Ouch!

Jayspawn
06-01-2008, 07:59 PM
You said it JT. Nice bullwhips will run ya more, but this could have easily costed less.

Engineernerd
06-02-2008, 11:45 AM
I've got what is supposed to be an Indy Magnoli grail tablet rubbing. I'd rather have that the actual tablet. It's considerably easier to find a way to display.

I've got a bootleg Idol and headpiece. I've had the Idol for about 8 or 9 years. Some of the recent ones I've seen look like second or third generation knockoffs of a knockoff. I won't display the headpiece, since it looked so bad when I finally got it.

Jayspawn
06-02-2008, 11:48 AM
I also have a Fertility Idol. Got it at a convention years ago. Its a very good mold but not perfect. I had considered having it gold plated but since the mold itself is not perfect I passed.

I've seen the headpieces pass on Ebay -some terrible and some VERY nice.

Engineernerd
06-02-2008, 04:36 PM
Here's a link to Indy Magnoli's website:

http://www.indyprops.com/

These will make you drool. I don't think he sells prop replicas anymore. However, he does sell clothing on his other site. (There's a link on the page.) If I had the cash I'd love to have a couple of his jackets.

JediTricks
06-02-2008, 11:12 PM
You said it JT. Nice bullwhips will run ya more, but this could have easily costed less.I've seen some comparable ones for $75.

I've got a bootleg Idol and headpiece. I've had the Idol for about 8 or 9 years. Some of the recent ones I've seen look like second or third generation knockoffs of a knockoff. I won't display the headpiece, since it looked so bad when I finally got it.Those are the 2 pieces I immediately knew I'd want, so sad to hear the headpiece is crummy-lookin', how much did you drop on it?

The funny thing is, if this had been MR or eFX, we could have gotten a headpiece for $50 to $100, but I'm betting if Noble does it, it'll be underwhelming and overpriced.

Engineernerd
06-03-2008, 05:44 AM
....Those are the 2 pieces I immediately knew I'd want, so sad to hear the headpiece is crummy-lookin', how much did you drop on it?....

$20 or $30 if I remember right. It's not a metal one. It was an auction I was willing to take a chance on, because the price was low. The picture with it wasn't the best, so I figured it being a fifty fifty shot at being something I'd like. If I'm taking pics this weekend, I'll try and post one. (If it sounds too good to be true it probably is.)

What I'd really like is a nice replica of the Shankara Stones, or at least one of them. Or the little piece of Sanskrit cloth from the second film. I've never found anything from the second film that was nice enough or affordable.

JediTricks
06-04-2008, 01:39 AM
$20 isn't bad for a so-so headpiece really, I suppose. Is it resin or plastic?

Sankara stones shouldn't be that hard to do if you don't mind the diamond in the middle not being there, the originals are resin anyway, how hard could that shape really be to do?

I noticed on the site you linked that he only had a couple TOD replicas, I guess the lack of love for that movie kills interest in those.

Didja see the new Indy prop replicas on shop.SW.com that were desk organizing stuff? http://www.starwars.com/collecting/news/misc/news20080529.html
So very tempting, even though they're all compromised a little.

Jayspawn
06-04-2008, 10:07 AM
That Indy desk stuff does look cool. I'm holding out for replicas though.

Engineernerd
06-05-2008, 11:43 AM
The headpiece I have is a plastic type material. It almost looks like it was made in a fexible mold that was distorted or streched when it was poured. I've seen that happen on some stuff where folk try and get by with the least amount of mold material.

The problem with most of the stone replicas from TOD I've seen is that just don't look like stone. I'd probably consider an Indy voodoo doll if one came around at a reasonable price.

I saw a very pricy Ark of the Covenant 1:1 kit on Ebay a couple weeks ago, and it reminded me of somthing I lost out on a few years ago. I'd seen just replica castings of the cheribim from the top of the Ark. They went for a fraction of the ark kit. I don't even know how the average person could have room for a full size ark. I wanted the angel casting for the top of projection TV in my home theatre room. They would have looked incredible flanking my center speaker.

Jayspawn
10-28-2008, 07:42 PM
Gotta say that I'm really disappointed in the licenses who dropped the ball on Indy props this year. Most notably on The Noble Collection. A whip and machete -that's it!

Been trying to source out a rapier sword to match Blanchet's sword in Crystal Skull. Found a clone one online a few days ago but passed as several details were off -but it was damn close.

Jayspawn
10-30-2008, 09:47 AM
Gotta say that I'm really disappointed in the licenses who dropped the ball on Indy props this year. Most notably on The Noble Collection. A whip and machete -that's it!

Been trying to source out a rapier sword to match Blanchet's sword in Crystal Skull. Found a clone one online a few days ago but passed as several details were off -but it was damn close.

I stand corrected. The Noble Collection just added the Headpiece of Ra and Mutt William's Rapier Sword yesterday. Both are scheduled to start shipping in early December. The Headpiece is priced at $125 and the Sword at $195.

Hopefully the Fertility Idol and Holy Grail are not far behind. But I'm set for getting that Headpiece!

JediTricks
11-03-2008, 03:50 PM
Got any links? The pricepoint on the headpiece is stiff, I was thinking more $75 realm, but maybe that'll work.

Mutt's sword is kinda generic, pricepoint seems average for them.

Jayspawn
11-07-2008, 09:13 PM
Heres a link to Noble Collection's Indy products..

http://www.noblecollection.com/catalog/catalog.cfm?catid=69

I went looking for a rapier sword a few weeks ago and turned up some good leads. The closest was almost spot on but, was actually TOO generic, just lacked that extra quality of authenticity I was looking for.

JediTricks
11-08-2008, 04:02 PM
Thanks for the link.

That's a nice presentation, but one thing I hate about Noble is their ability to fudge the graphics, using photo mockups and graphics and other cheats, so you don't really get a good idea of what something is. And they often make these sorts of things smaller than they should be.

I'm also far less impressed that they're shooting this in pewter and gold-plating that, it's going to be extremely soft. And pewter is so cheap too, not a metal I would have preferred.

Jayspawn
11-17-2008, 01:17 AM
I put the Mutt sword on my Christmas list. Gonna order the Staffpiece anyways though.

JediTricks
11-21-2008, 04:04 AM
LMK how it is then.

Jayspawn
12-27-2008, 01:19 PM
Couple Indy Prop things going on.

The Mutt Sword from the Noble Collection is 60% off via their site -sweet deal!

Santa brought me the Staffpiece of Ra for Christmas this year! Gonna try and get some pictures loaded later. Very nice collectible!

Jayspawn
12-27-2008, 02:45 PM
Here are some pics of the NC Staff of Ra Headpiece.

The NC Headpiece has a nice even matte gold coating -although in different lighting it definatly gives off a very nice shine. The crystal is a deep red, whilest the commonly seen crystal is amber. Both colors darken in various part of the film. Unfortunatly, I'm unfamiliar how many headpiece props were made for the film -still researching that. The wood box is comes with is also very nice. Has a good mohagany finish and satin black interior.

I added a comparison shot of the NC piece and one from the Lucasfilm Archives. Side by side they're pretty close, although the NC Headpiece lacks wethering. I'd still vouch this as a good buy for your $. You cant go wrong with a nice custom either will run you around the same price. I licensed product wins me over 99% of the time.

Enjoy!

JediTricks
12-28-2008, 09:16 PM
Nice get, thanks for sharing the photos. I can see what you mean about the deco being a little flat and missing the weathering. I'm just choking on that price though, I can't imagine what number I'd be ok with, but it's under $50 and no matter how perfect they could have got it, I don't see how I could pull that trigger.

DarkArtist
12-29-2008, 10:48 AM
does anyone know where i can get the Indy crate paperweight from SDCC for cheap. would really love to get one but don't want to drop the $100 plus on ebay. thinking about making a scaled one using a couple extra Indy toy pieces and packing it with either the crystal skull or the fertility idol.

Jayspawn
01-09-2009, 01:03 PM
Don't think its gonna be inexpensive. I passed on a Crate but wish I had picked it up now. I'm tempted to get the Mutt (aka: Spalko) sword since its on sale.

DarkArtist
01-12-2009, 11:17 AM
Don't think its gonna be inexpensive. I passed on a Crate but wish I had picked it up now. I'm tempted to get the Mutt (aka: Spalko) sword since its on sale.

I was so brassed off when i saw that the crate was only going to be a convention exclusive, was hoping that it would see general retail as well. would haved loved to get one. did attempt to make a small version of it and will post pics asap, having problems with time and my camera

Ji'dai
05-18-2009, 04:00 PM
Here are some pics of the NC Staff of Ra Headpiece.

The NC Headpiece has a nice even matte gold coating -although in different lighting it definatly gives off a very nice shine. The crystal is a deep red, whilest the commonly seen crystal is amber. Both colors darken in various part of the film. Unfortunatly, I'm unfamiliar how many headpiece props were made for the film -still researching that. The wood box is comes with is also very nice. Has a good mohagany finish and satin black interior.

I added a comparison shot of the NC piece and one from the Lucasfilm Archives. Side by side they're pretty close, although the NC Headpiece lacks wethering. I'd still vouch this as a good buy for your $. You cant go wrong with a nice custom either will run you around the same price. I licensed product wins me over 99% of the time.

Enjoy! Jay, does the NC headpiece have a hole in the bottom that would accomodate a custom staff?

Ji'dai
05-26-2009, 02:27 PM
Received my Noble Collection Headpiece in the mail today.

And to answer my own question, no, the headpiece does not have a hole in the base to accomodate a staff. It just has a flat base (http://i42.tinypic.com/rm48sm.jpg). Although I suppose a staff could be notched to hold the headpiece.

Jayspawn
05-26-2009, 02:53 PM
Sorry I'm way late on this. Yes I had hoped that the headpiece would have been notched to hold a staff -although I'd leave it seperate.

I've hoping that NC will do more Indy props. I dont think they're selling that well -but I'd chauk that up to poor product choices (except for the Headpiece).

Ji'dai
05-26-2009, 03:09 PM
They have the Temple of Doom Machete on clearance for $87.50. I thought about getting that but I'm not really into larger props. From the reviews I've read, it's a nice piece but too dull to cut butter.

I think the general consensus on the hat and whip is to avoid the officially licensed stuff and just go with product from a professional maker.

I really like the smaller stuff. The Grail Diary and Idol would be ideal.

Jayspawn
05-26-2009, 03:20 PM
I agree. But NC could make the grail tablet, fertility idol, holy grail, remains of nurhace (spelling) with no difficulty.

I'm on the fence about the Mutt (aka Spalko) sword. Its a nice piece but doesnt have a wall mount -so I'd have to make one.

Ji'dai
05-26-2009, 03:27 PM
The grail tablet would be a big piece. It would have to be made out of hollow plastic in order to be affordable. Any other material would be too heavy. Polystone would be great but it would probably cost an arm and a leg to ship it freight.

Jayspawn
05-29-2009, 09:31 AM
I've seen some great looking grail tablets pop-up online with decent shipping rates. Seen them in resin and in stone! Havnt caved and bought one yet.

Ji'dai
07-25-2009, 08:28 AM
Sideshow unveiled a replica of the Raiders fertility idol (https://www.sideshowtoy.com/?page_id=7061). It comes with a display base and I've read it's going to book for $190.

I'd like to have this, but $200 is a bit too steep.

Jayspawn
07-25-2009, 08:55 AM
I thought it would be more -so if they keep it in that price range -I'll get it!

Hope thing this line really takes off. Although there are so many great customs out there, I'll jump on a licensed, accurate prop anyday.

Ji'dai
07-28-2009, 06:52 AM
The Idol is up for pre-order. It is $190. I've read Sideshow is going to do an Ark replica too - I don't know if it's going to be life-size or scaled.

Jayspawn
07-28-2009, 09:20 AM
I checked out the product details of the Idol over at Sideshow. I really like it. The base it comes with matches that of the movie so I'm sold. Its $179.99 over at BigBadToyStore.com

Sideshow said that the Ark would be quarter scale. Intersting. After the Idol, the Holy Grail cup is #1 on my wishlist.

JediTricks
08-01-2009, 10:54 PM
The idol is getting horribly overproduced. Seems like everyone and their grandma is licensing and producing this thing, Diamond Select Toys has a vinyl rotocast bank of it.

Jayspawn
08-03-2009, 10:14 AM
The Idol has only been made twice -counting the SS version. I think the Sideshow Idol is fairly priced. A good one thats already gold plated will run you around $100 anyways -and thats without a base.

Jayspawn
08-03-2009, 10:16 AM
The Idol has only been made twice -counting the SS version. I think the Sideshow Idol is fairly priced. A good one thats already gold plated will run you around $100 anyways -and thats without a base.

Ok, theres the mini paperclip holder too so we'll count that. We can just leave out that mighty mug -thing.

JediTricks
08-03-2009, 02:43 PM
I thought there were a couple more, or maybe I was getting them confused with knockoffs.

Jayspawn
08-09-2009, 09:05 AM
Probably gonna pickup the Sideshow Idol. But will wait closer to release time.

Ji'dai
08-09-2009, 05:39 PM
I'm still on the fence. Looks like a good buy since it comes with the pedestal, but I still need to talk myself into dropping $200 on it.

Ji'dai
08-21-2009, 10:06 PM
StarWarsShop has the idol replica for $190 with penny shipping. One of several Sideshow items with penny shipping.

Ji'dai
02-12-2010, 03:01 PM
I got my idol yesterday, #271 out of 1,500! It's a really nice piece. Very heavy too. The bad thing is mine has a very noticeable dent in her left breast.

Idol with base (http://i48.tinypic.com/2jfc8iv.jpg)

Idol (close-up) (http://i45.tinypic.com/313gbrk.jpg)

I may have to contact them for a replacement. It's too noticeable a flaw. If it were on the back of the idol I think I could live with it.

Jayspawn
02-24-2010, 11:00 PM
Thats awesome! This one is high on my "To Get To" list. Gotta support any Indy license out there now.

The Grail Cup would be a no-brainer if Sideshow did that.

Ji'dai
02-26-2010, 11:10 AM
I'd like to have the Grail and the Sankara stones but don't want to pay a hundred dollars for replicas that are so generic-looking. The grail cup and Sankara stone look like they'd be both easy to make yourself.

My replacement fertility idol should be here next Wednesday.