PDA

View Full Version : Maris Brood reviewed (just a little.)

plasticfetish
06-08-2008, 06:25 AM
It's almost easy enough to predict that Hasbro will blow it with a female figure like this. So easy in fact, that you could probably write a quick review without actually having bought or ever even seen the figure in person. Sadly, that idea didn't occur to me until after I'd gone and spent $7-ish. (Next time I may just use this as a template and fake it.)

Here again, we don't know enough about the subject to decide if we like or dislike the character, or if this figure "nails it" and looks anything like the person from the new Force Unleashed game. But at this point I think we're all pretty familiar with the whole naughty female Jedi gone bad concept, to where it's safe to say that Hasbro probably managed to do a good job of capturing this character's likeness.

But whatever... the toy itself is sort of lame, so it really doesn't matter.

First up, why does Hasbro feel the need to use the saucy contrapposto (look it up) pose with female figures? (The pose that actually makes her look like she might have scoliosis.) Also, why give her arms a million points of articulation, but no bendable knees? As well, please explain to me why a figure that clearly only uses a pair of lightsabers comes with a hand (left) posed for using a blaster?

Other than that the sculpt is decent, the paint is so-so, and the included lightsabers are pretty cool (even if they do have those weird numbers on them for whatever reason.) As a matter of fact, if Hasbro had decided to take this figure a little more seriously, it could have turned out pretty cool all around.

As is... I'd give her a 6 out of 10.

Phantom-like Menace
06-08-2008, 04:17 PM
First up, why does Hasbro feel the need to use the saucy contrapposto (look it up) pose with female figures? (The pose that actually makes her look like she might have scoliosis.) Also, why give her arms a million points of articulation, but no bendable knees?

This is definitely the part you can copy and paste next time. And I agree with pretty much all of your review.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-08-2008, 06:11 PM
They forgot to sculpt the underboob (http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/5/52/MarisBrood_bg.jpg), which is the most important part.

(The actress who "plays" her is pretty easy on the eyes (http://jawanet.files.wordpress.com/2007/06/ariennewilkinson.jpg), for the record.)

plasticfetish
06-08-2008, 11:26 PM
They forgot to sculpt the underboob (http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/5/52/MarisBrood_bg.jpg), which is the most important part.Ahhh JJL... I remember when you were but a boy... and now you are a man. ;)

That's pretty funny. I was going to mention the undercupping, but decided not to bother. I'd bet that they have some kind of rules against it... as odd as that sounds.

JediTricks
06-09-2008, 12:30 AM
I hadn't noticed the numbers on the sabers, is it possible they're mold cavity numbers to identify which cavity they come from in the mold? This would be sloppy on the designers' part, but that's what you get when you go with Chinese moldmakers sometimes.

plasticfetish
06-09-2008, 04:03 AM
is it possible they're mold cavity numbers to identify which cavity they come from in the mold?Yeah, it's something like that. And now that I think about it, it's not the first time I've seen that... maybe even the last time they used those saber handles. (I'm drawing a blank. Who had those saber handles also?)

Kidhuman
06-09-2008, 06:42 AM
This figure is still better than the Vader

JediTricks
06-09-2008, 10:07 PM
The sabers are new, as far as I can tell, and I've never seen another accessory in this line that had cavity numbers like that, pretty cheesy.

Devil King
06-16-2008, 10:04 AM
Yeah, it is sloppy. The G.I. Joe figures and weapons are covered in tiny numbers.

JediTricks
06-16-2008, 11:25 PM
I'm not as surprised there, they were never as careful of such things with Joe. Basically, a mold for an accessory can make dozens of the same design at once, they are gang molded in a single mold, each weapon has its own cavity and each cavity is numbered, making it easier to identify where a problem has developed without scrapping the whole mold to figure it out.

Devil King
06-17-2008, 01:13 AM
I'm not as surprised there, they were never as careful of such things with Joe. Basically, a mold for an accessory can make dozens of the same design at once, they are gang molded in a single mold, each weapon has its own cavity and each cavity is numbered, making it easier to identify where a problem has developed without scrapping the whole mold to figure it out.

And you'll find that most Joe collectors are not bothered by this. Well, other than placing one value over the next based on the number stamped on the *** of a Cobra Viper. Quite frankly, I have never been concerned by what number is on my Spirit's butt cheek, but that I get a Spirit at all.

I had typed out a long and seemingly rantish response. But the bottom line of my position is that buying from on-line retailers is little more than buying from a scalper with a vendor's liscense. They charge more when it suits them and they tell you they're charging less when they get the product direct when based on pre-order numbers. Brian's toys and BBTS are nothing more than the comic-book shop guy with a vendor's liscense.

The mold numbers are a sloppy representation of what the collector has allowed the hobby to become. I woudn't assign the fault to cheap Asian labour over what could be cheap American labour. But, I would certainly assign the blame to cheap labour, period. and if one visit's YoJoe.com, you'll find a link in the archives to a page that wil tell you which parts of a figure had or were eventually used in other figures. So, many people b*tc h and moan about the 25th Joe parts being used in other newly-released figures, but I can't understand why it's an issue now, most especially when coupled with the fact that a huge number of them are customizers who suddenlt blame the manufactureer for doing the very same they've done to expand their collection. The difference is that they all think they deserve somethng more because they're paying for gas and dropping visible cash on a product thay're finding on store shelves.

El Chuxter
06-17-2008, 09:18 AM
and if one visit's YoJoe.com, you'll find a link in the archives to a page that wil tell you which parts of a figure had or were eventually used in other figures. So, many people b*tc h and moan about the 25th Joe parts being used in other newly-released figures, but I can't understand why it's an issue now, most especially when coupled with the fact that a huge number of them are customizers who suddenlt blame the manufactureer for doing the very same they've done to expand their collection. The difference is that they all think they deserve somethng more because they're paying for gas and dropping visible cash on a product thay're finding on store shelves.

Amen, brother! Never mind also that the vintage Joe line probably had far more re-used parts. Aside from Scarlett, the original lineup was, what, a bunch of mixes of three possible torsos, two possible sets of legs, and two sets of arms. Even the heads were re-used when they weren't really distinctive, like Stalker, Snake Eyes, or Rock & Roll.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-17-2008, 05:35 PM
The sabers are new, as far as I can tell, and I've never seen another accessory in this line that had cavity numbers like that, pretty cheesy.
I've seen a bunch of them . . . the one that springs to mind is the staff that came with the TSC Carbonite Han. They don't bother me too much, but I'm not a huge fan of the shoulders on the VOTC Stormtroopers and their glaring "L" and "R" designations that were thankfully later toned down a little bit.