PDA

View Full Version : Sirius Satellite Radio, Weird Cancelling Policy?

InsaneJediGirl
06-09-2008, 11:37 PM
So roughly about thirty minutes ago I called to cancel my Sirius radio. I used to listen to it a lot, but for the last few months it has become a waste of my $13 per said month. Besides, after about two to three hours of listening, the radio overheats, shuts off and continues to do so until it rests for a good thirty minutes.

I finally got to the cancellation department, where the rep offers me one month of service free. I decline, explain the radio cuts out. He ups the offer to two months free service PLUS a new free radio(the Starmate 4), car kit, and free professional install. I decline, he offers two more times before realizing I wasnt going to take the offer.

Now, you might say I'm crazy for not taking the offer, but nothing in life is free. My luck I'd be stuck in a one year service contract, making those "free" months not so free.

The point is, quite an odd cancellation scheme going on. Last time I had to cancel something over the phone(magazines, I think) the rep didnt seem to bat an eye and simply dropped me from their service. Is satellite radio hurting that bad to offer all of that?Granted, it doesnt cost them that much, but seems odd to be going out of their way to keep me. It wasnt like I was paying the $200-something a year and they had to refund any money, it was simply month to month.

Anyone else encounter something as odd as this?(Well, odd IMO):D

El Chuxter
06-09-2008, 11:56 PM
The only thing odd is that you don't want to pay $13 a month to listen to Howard Stern.

j/k. I haven't dealt with them, so I ain't got nothin'. It sounds a lot like AOL's cancellation, where they bend over backwards to try to keep you, then, if you still quit, they send any unpaid balance (even if just a day) to their collections department instead of sending a bill to let you know you owe it.

InsaneJediGirl
06-09-2008, 11:59 PM
I actually got it to listen to local Florida quasi-celeb Bubba the Lovesponge, but he isnt as good as when he was on regular FM at JROCK. So much for "uncensored".

JediTricks
06-11-2008, 03:27 AM
This is pretty much SOP with any subscription service these days, cell phone companies often will offer to lower your rate, give you a free phone, etc., if you've been a proven customer. It's not complicated, they want to keep your money coming in.

JimJamBonds
06-11-2008, 08:16 PM
Thanks for the heads up for when I cancel Sirius (not that I have plans to at the moment).

InsaneJediGirl
06-15-2008, 12:04 AM
Anytime.

I've gotten a few emails from them, saying I could get three "free" months if I upgrade to a quarterly plan and come back to their service. How nice of Sirius :rolleyes:

JEDIpartner
06-16-2008, 01:56 PM
Are they Sirius???!!!!!

LOL

I just had to go there. Sorry.

InsaneJediGirl
06-17-2008, 07:47 AM
I figured one of you would soon enough. Either way, lame but I'm proud JP lol

JEDIpartner
06-17-2008, 07:55 AM
Sometimes the obvious ones are the ones that get the laugh. :)

El Chuxter
06-17-2008, 08:25 AM
And here I was, going for a reference to Half Asleep in Frog Pajamas, and JP comes out with the obvious Sirius joke and trumps me.

Did you know Tom Robbins is 71 years old? Somehow, that just seems unbelievable to me.

bobafrett
06-24-2008, 11:01 PM
I want to quit my account with AT&T. I have my land line, cell phones, long distance and internet access through them. I have been loyal to the same company, despite hearing ad's for lower priced phone service, but after the last few day's I just about had it. You see, several months ago my son signed himself up for texting, even though wehen I set up my account with the family plan, I blocked him from getting service. My normal avarage bill for the 4 services above is around $220 a month. About two months ago I opened my phone bill and it was $375. I hit the roof. I found out my son had only to get my last 4 digits of my Social security number to get him text messaging. I asked him to put a stop to the service, but by the time he did, he had already built up another $270 in text charges. I paid $300 of the $375 to the phone company, and the next month's bill was $579. That included the extra text charges, and the $75 in late payment.

Well the phone company, when I called to B***h about the charges, gave me a credit, but I had to sign up for unlimited texting for $20 a month. I was given a $402 credit, which I applied to the $579 phone bill. However a few days later, I got a letter in the mail saying if I didn't pay the $75, I would lose certain services. I called the number in the letter, and the first person I talked to said I would need to pay the $75 in past due, or they would cut off my internet services, that blew my nerves, and I hung up on the phone rep. I later called, and the second person I talked to, was more relaxed, and handled everything, or so I thought. Then one day this week, I went to call my wife, and my cell phone directed me to AT&T's billing. I screamed some obscenities at the poor guy who I finally got conected too. He put me in touch with another woman who said there was a miscommunication between the land line provider and my cell phone company, and they reconnected my service.

Then yesterday, I went to log on to my computer, and instead of my yahoo home page coming up, there was a message from AT&T with a phone number for me to call, and it was to the billing. I retained a much calmer demeaner about me this time, and after they were told my tale which I just told you, they reconnected my internet service, they asked me if I wanted to add the AT&T fiber optic television service. They can bite me.

InsaneJediGirl
06-24-2008, 11:13 PM
How lovely. Customer service is a joke, especially with something like that! Its a shame AT&T let your son get the texting plan without consulting you first.(And we wonder why people's identities are so easily used).

JediTricks
06-24-2008, 11:45 PM
Thanks large monopolies, you've really helped us all out! :rolleyes: First off, maybe it's time to call a lawyer, they made changes to your account which resulted in heavy charges without your permission or with the authorization of an adult in the household with legal ability to make those changes. That $409 credit is simply not enough satisfaction for what you've gone through. If you don't go the lawyer route, at least talk to a supervisor and make sure to write down their exact names (and make it clear you're doing so, it's less likely you'll get bad treatment when someone's job is on the line).

I would suggest checking to make sure you're not under contract for internet or cell service which could cost you out the wazoo for early termination fees, the cellphone is pretty common for that. Also, make sure you research the company you want to switch to before you actually make the switch, wouldn't want to get someone even worse after all.

And I hate to say it, but AT&T DSL is pretty much the cheapest game in town if you have a phone with them, I'm putting $37 a month into my stupid landline and then another $40 into Earthlink DSL, but if I had ATT DSL it'd be only $15 instead of $40.

bobafrett
06-25-2008, 12:09 AM
And I hate to say it, but AT&T DSL is pretty much the cheapest game in town if you have a phone with them, I'm putting $37 a month into my stupid landline and then another $40 into Earthlink DSL, but if I had ATT DSL it'd be only $15 instead of $40.

I'm paying $37 a month for my AT&T DSL. Years ago I was paying $45, until someone told me to contact the service provider since they had it for only $25 a month, and that lasted a year or two, then it slowly made it's way back up.

I may just consider the lawyer route, if I can find time in my schedule to go see one.

sith_killer_99
06-25-2008, 09:28 PM
Thanks for the heads up for when I cancel Sirius (not that I have plans to at the moment).

Maybe you should plan to cancel immediately, from the sounds of it you could get a free radio professionally installed with a couple of months free service.

LOL

Yeah, most subscription services do this. I have read a couple of articles in magazines on this topic. "How hard is it to set-up/cancel service with these 10 companies" type articles.

AOL always ranks among the worst for cancellation.:rolleyes: