PDA

View Full Version : Am I in the minority here about the new animated movie?

jedi master sal
06-12-2008, 01:05 PM
I'm just not "excited" about the movie. Partially due to the human likenesses.

But it's really more about being drained by SW. Enough is enough.

Yes of course I'll go to the midnight premiere, but just that. I won't see it multiple times in theaters as I did with the two trilogies.

I won't have cable for the weekly show, so that may be a part of it also.

As well, I'm just not into the animated figures. Ships yes, but not the figures. I no longer have any inclination to buy the same characters over and over especially because they are in a different style.

Oh and don't get me wrong, the animation overall looks good. But come on, Jabba's son? That premise for that story just doesn't jive with me. No way the Jedi would do right by a crime lord. Of course the movie may have plot twists and such, but so far I'm not liking what I'm seeing regarding the actual story. The battle scenes look good.

So where are you on this?

• Excited beyond belief that there is another SW movie
• Excited about a new movie, though you'd rather it be live action
• looking forward to it
• mildly amused at yet another movie release
• meh, not interested
• it's played out for gawd sakes, let it rest

Honestly, I'm hovering between the last two. In a small way I almost wish Hasbro would take the line completely animated. Then I could call my figure collecting days over.

-Sal

JEDIpartner
06-12-2008, 01:21 PM
I'm not planning on getting anything other than Artoo and Threepio from the new line. I'll watch the show and see the film but I'm not going to allow myself to be devoted to this extension of the franchise.

El Chuxter
06-12-2008, 01:55 PM
You are in a minority, in that you're not excited but still planning to go to a midnight showing.

jedi master sal
06-12-2008, 01:58 PM
You are in a minority, in that you're not excited but still planning to go to a midnight showing.

Okay but just taking the "not excited" part in context....

How many others are not excited about this? (Regardless if you are going to see it or not)

LTBasker
06-12-2008, 02:05 PM
I'm not sure exactly how I feel about it... On one hand, the CGI is quite spectacular, and ironically appears more realistic and well done in some scenes than any of the gratuitous CGI in the prequel trilogy. On the other hand, I feel the cartoon Clone Wars series was done pretty well, aside from a few cases of exaggerated action sequences, and this is a slap in the face to the previous crew just so Lucas can depend on Star Wars further.

At the very least, it looks like fun and and I would describe myself as curious or fascinated, but not excited. I'd be fine without it... I don't think I'll really support it figure-wise.

El Chuxter
06-12-2008, 04:36 PM
I'm not excited, and know a lot of people who are die-hard Star Wars fans and aren't excited.

The human characters are too abstract to believably work with the super-realistic backgrounds and non-human (or armored) characters. And this isn't TMNT, where the humans don't play as important a role, and are only slightly abstracted. This is attempts at 3D versions of Tartakovksy's designs set against photorealism, with humans as the main characters. The end result is jarringly ugly.

Plus, knowing that this will be on TV within a few weeks sort of kills any excitement I might have otherwise. Why go through the hassle of going to the theater when this will be on TV shortly? (I have this feeling that's why they're not mentioning that fact; to sucker in people who think it's really a new movie.)

Neuroleptic
06-12-2008, 04:37 PM
I honestly couldn't care one way or the other about it. I'm not excited about it, but I'll probably eventualy see it. Most likely I won't bother going to see it in theaters since you can buy movies on DVD cheaper than going out to see them these days and I'm just not as excited about it.

Like someone else mentioned, I also plan to get R2 and 3po (is 3po even announced yet?) but other than that I'm not buying a thing from the clone wars line aside for the DVD.

And the DVD will depend largely on if I hear anything good about the movie or not.

2-1B
06-12-2008, 04:40 PM
I think it looks fun, so I'm looking forward to it. I have too many good things going in my life to get wound up and cynical about Star Wars, I'm sure some of it will be goofy and I won't like certain things about it but I expect it to be fun overall.

Slicker
06-12-2008, 05:01 PM
Is this gonna be a mass marketed movie? I haven't heard much on it at all. Granted, being exiled in the middle of the ocean with no internet doesn't help much.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-12-2008, 10:07 PM
How many others are not excited about this? (Regardless if you are going to see it or not)
This thread is too negative!!! Shut it down!!!!!

;)

I'm excited for the movie, but not as much as I was for the "real" ones. The preview shown on a big screen at CIV was amazing, and I'm thinking most of the movie will be, too.

Is this gonna be a mass marketed movie? I haven't heard much on it at all. Granted, being exiled in the middle of the ocean with no internet doesn't help much.
It seems like it's going to be a wide release, but not as "big" a movie as, say, Indiana Jones or the Dark Knight. Apart from the two trailers and a poster, there's really not much "buzz" about it, even (seemingly) within the fan community, though maybe I'm just judging this site where it seems like people would rather get into ****ing contests than talk about Star Wars on a Star Wars site. But I have heard people talking about "a seventh Star Wars movie" in public a few times, so I think Lucasfilm would be wise to pimp this out a little more.

InsaneJediGirl
06-12-2008, 10:27 PM
I'm not really excited, at least not like I was for the prequels(and thats saying a lot!). I think the animation is fairly good on some accounts, but I dont like how some of the characters are stylized. Nor do I like the Jedi working for a Hutt. Also, how is this going to fit into the saga?Tales of Obi-Wan and Anakin between AOTC and ROTS are already conflicted, some stories would have them in two places at once.

I might grab a figure or two, I havent checked to see whats released. Obi-Wan for sure, but other than that....eh. I think I may skip the theater for this SW release and buy the DVD(or wait for the TV showing..).

I fear if Lucas keeps this up, Star Wars will turn into Star Trek, it just doesnt know when to stop at a good point when people arent tired of it.

El Chuxter
06-12-2008, 11:05 PM
...though maybe I'm just judging this site where it seems like people would rather get into ****ing contests than talk about Star Wars on a Star Wars site.

I can p*** more than you can. I timed it. I've never actually measured the volume, though, but I'm convinced I can certainly water the entire garden before you finish with a thimble. :p

Maradona
06-13-2008, 12:12 AM
I fear if Lucas keeps this up, Star Wars will turn into Star Trek, it just doesnt know when to stop at a good point when people arent tired of it.

I have suspected for years that Lucas, with age, would squeeze so much out of the films that he'd feel compelled to remake them completely. With this new incarnation, my fear was that it would be a video game. Some elements of the trailers have given me hope, but then I loved the trailers for the prequels, too.

figrin bran
06-13-2008, 12:55 AM
I'd say I'm in the minority for looking forward to this and even more so the figures.

In many ways, it's a parallel situation to that of Transformers Animated which has many long time TF fans hating both the show and the toys.

JediTricks
06-13-2008, 01:27 AM
I'm not even remotely excited, but to be fair, I wasn't excited about the previous cartoon either. Ever since AOTC showed me how uninspiring the Clone Wars can be in Lucas' mind, I've just not been that gung-ho about the concept. I'll watch because it has the Force and lightsabers, but I won't go to a midnight showing, and I won't buy all the ugly figures based on that bizarre character styling.

I've noticed younger people, about 23 and under, seem to really be treating this like another Star Wars movie rather than what it is, a total cheese-out to spin the TV show's first 3 episodes into theaters.

Mad Slanted Powers
06-13-2008, 01:39 AM
I shall be seeing it, but not at midnight. ROTS was the only one I ever saw at midnight. I'll try and see it the first Saturday. I'm excited about it to some extent, but I'm wondering how it will fit with the continuity of other sources such as the first animated series or the comics. I've not read the latter yet, so I won't know if it contradicts anything from that anyway. Once I see the series and read the comics, I can take from it what I want.

I'm sure I'll be getting at least some of the figures. I'm not sure if I liked the action feature Yoda, though.

plasticfetish
06-13-2008, 04:17 AM
I think I wrote this somewhere else (another thread), but though I'm not too terribly excited about the big screen release, I am looking forward to seeing this show on TV.

As far as the overall look of the show goes, I'm impressed, but don't think it's as detailed or richly textured as something needs to be to really work in the theaters these days.

I actually like the animation style, and do get what Lucas was shooting for with this... so I'm just going to wait until it's had a chance to prove itself before I decide.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have suspected for years that Lucas, with age, would squeeze so much out of the films that he'd feel compelled to remake them completely.Star Wars is forever ...but they never said anything about new and original. ;)

2-1B
06-13-2008, 06:35 AM
I can p*** more than you can. I timed it. I've never actually measured the volume, though, but I'm convinced I can certainly water the entire garden before you finish with a thimble. :p

I would pwn both of youse.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-13-2008, 01:12 PM
I would pwn both of youse.
I can fill up a pickle jar in two seconds, easy.

Tycho
06-14-2008, 03:42 AM
I'll see it. I probably won't do a midnight thing or go through the motions like the old days. I'm just not that excited either.

Hopefully I'll really like it though. I'm open-minded but not expecting anything.

I'm kind of tired of The Clone Wars and would be interested in EU from other Star Wars eras.

If they did a cartoon movie about Ulic Qel Droma's days, I'd be really excited.

At the same time, if NJO or Legacy was realized in some new visual medium (other than a video game), I'd dig that, too - possibly.

I loved the Clone Wars when it was relevant (pre-ROTS), but now it is a lot less so. The Dark Times might even be interesting (post-Order 66), but I'm not thrilled with that era either because ANH comes along to settle that, too.

Mad Slanted Powers
06-14-2008, 01:45 PM
I'll see it. I probably won't do a midnight thing or go through the motions like the old days. I'm just not that excited either.

Hopefully I'll really like it though. I'm open-minded but not expecting anything.

I'm kind of tired of The Clone Wars and would be interested in EU from other Star Wars eras.

If they did a cartoon movie about Ulic Qel Droma's days, I'd be really excited.

At the same time, if NJO or Legacy was realized in some new visual medium (other than a video game), I'd dig that, too - possibly.

I loved the Clone Wars when it was relevant (pre-ROTS), but now it is a lot less so. The Dark Times might even be interesting (post-Order 66), but I'm not thrilled with that era either because ANH comes along to settle that, too.I pretty much agree with most of this. I'd like to see other eras more than the Clone Wars. I still think the Han Solo books would make for a great series. Seeing the Firefly series made me think that it could be done really well. I'd also like to see the X-Wing books done as well.

JetsAndHeels
06-14-2008, 02:06 PM
I'm looking forward to it, and I will get some of the figures. I'm sure I will enjoy it.

JediTricks
06-14-2008, 04:47 PM
I'd like to see other eras more than the Clone Wars. I still think the Han Solo books would make for a great series. Seeing the Firefly series made me think that it could be done really well. Excellent point, that's how I first felt when I watched Firefly on Fox (stupid Fox!!!), it was our Han Solo show and it was awesome. I am secretly hoping the live-action show will have something that good in it, but with Lucas' hand, I'm not expecting much.

Tycho
06-15-2008, 09:37 AM
With The Incredible Hulk, I saw the big screen trailer for Clone Wars.

It looks good and I'll see it, but I'm not feeling it that much.

Ventress is really played up, too. I'm sorry, but I just never really cared about her that much.

CaptainSolo1138
06-15-2008, 11:17 AM
Its nothing more than G.Lu trying to cash in further. I have zero interest in it and if I see it, it'll be due to chance or circumstance since I have no desire to make it a point to see it.

My sister-in-law mentioned that she had seen something about a new SW movie last night so she asked me about it and I couldn't even give her an honest answer in regards to what its about or even when its being released.

Here's to peeing all over your remaing dignity, George!:thumbsup:

Ventress is really played up, too. I'm sorry, but I just never really cared about her that much.I can't stand any character that has to be forced down my throat as "awesome" (see: Aurra Sing, Darth Maul). Futher, I can't stand the obvious "let's see if we can make the fanboys whip it out" ploy in developing characters now. Granted, Asajj isn't "hot", but what I meant in short is that it seems all the "new, hip, 'awesome'" (read: the ones shoved down your throat) characters MUST be female. Whatevs.

bigbarada
06-15-2008, 03:46 PM
With The Incredible Hulk, I saw the big screen trailer for Clone Wars.

It looks good and I'll see it, but I'm not feeling it that much.

Ventress is really played up, too. I'm sorry, but I just never really cared about her that much.

I also saw the trailer when I went to see Hulk. Very underwhelming response in the theater I was in. You could tell that the trailer was really trying to create those fanboy moments, but no one seemed to be impressed by it at all.

The animation itself just looks horribly substandard on the big screen. If they had placed some numbers on the edges of the screens and some green bars on the top and bottom, this would have looked like a decent video game trailer, but not an animated feature film. Stiff faces, warping texture maps.... maybe 5 years ago.... on DVD.... but not a theatrical release in 2008.

And the story just doesn't seem to add up. If the Republic is so anti-slavery, then why are the Jedi going out of their way to help a crimelord and a slave owner like Jabba the Hutt? Even if Jabba is really good at laundering money and setting up shadow corporations to make his dealings appear legitimate, all that does is make the Jedi look even more gullible and foolish because they obviously fall for it.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-15-2008, 08:53 PM
And the story just doesn't seem to add up. If the Republic is so anti-slavery, then why are the Jedi going out of their way to help a crimelord and a slave owner like Jabba the Hutt? Even if Jabba is really good at laundering money and setting up shadow corporations to make his dealings appear legitimate, all that does is make the Jedi look even more gullible and foolish because they obviously fall for it.
From what I have read, the Jedi need passage through some shipping routes owned by Jabba, but he won't help them unless they get his son back.

Droid
06-15-2008, 09:10 PM
And so Dooku fights Anakin again? Really? Kind of seemed like to me that they hadn't run into each other in between Episodes II and III.

I'm sure Lucas would let someone write stories about Luke and Vader's multiple confrontations between Empire and Jedi if the money was there.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-15-2008, 10:56 PM
I had something snarky to say. But never mind. :D

bigbarada
06-15-2008, 11:04 PM
I'm sure Lucas would let someone write stories about Luke and Vader's multiple confrontations between Empire and Jedi if the money was there.

Y'know, "milking the franchise for all it's worth" was the only phrase that came to mind when I saw the Clone Wars trailer on Friday night. So, I think if the money was right, there would be no limits to the degree of which Lucas would sell out his Star Wars franchise.

jedi master sal
06-16-2008, 09:13 AM
Dare I say it, could this animated feature be less well received than The Phantom Menace?

By many of the comments so far, it sure seems that way. Fans outright saying they just aren't going to see this?

Wow, that would have been unimaginable a few years ago. Some might say downright blasphemos.

But I do concur with the felling that it seems our esteemed director/producer has gone a bit too far now.

Maybe he's trying to make up for TPM, where as AOTC should have been EPI. But it's a little to late for that now. And doing this animated? Just doesn't fit or seem right.

Meh, I'll see it as I said, but only once in theaters.

El Chuxter
06-16-2008, 09:35 AM
I can't stand any character that has to be forced down my throat as "awesome" (see: Aurra Sing, Darth Maul). Futher, I can't stand the obvious "let's see if we can make the fanboys whip it out" ploy in developing characters now. Granted, Asajj isn't "hot", but what I meant in short is that it seems all the "new, hip, 'awesome'" (read: the ones shoved down your throat) characters MUST be female. Whatevs.
I don't dislike Asajj (she at least did something, unlike most other fanwank characters), but agree with where you're coming from.

Personally, it bugs the hell out of me that this austere order of what are essentially mystic warrior monks has so many female members who dress like prostitutes. Honestly, can you name ONE female Jedi who was created for the EU, and by someone other than Jude Watson, who isn't running around in her underwear?

I'm waiting. Didn't think so. Don't feel bad; I can't either.

I'm not some prude who is offended by the female form, but it simply is not realistic. "I'm going to solve a trade dispute and fight pirates. Hand me my thong!" It's like Star Wars somehow has entered the Marvel Universe circa 1993.

The 11-year-old kid in her underwear is a real low even for this, though. That's just gross. Period.

CaptainSolo1138
06-16-2008, 10:34 AM
Period.
Not yet. She's only 11.

Blue2th
06-16-2008, 10:43 AM
I don't dislike Asajj either, but they sure made her ugly in this series. I suppose it will make it easier to dislike her, as ugly people are supposed to be evil :rolleyes: I like her as the beautiful evil creature Sideshow interpreted. In a way you could almost love someone like that.

I'm going to give this movie and series a chance. Sure the human characters are odd looking, but maybe the writing and character development is good. I like what I see in the trailers. I think it's a good thing Lucas is deliberately steering away from the Bug's Life Pixar, Rattatooiee-whatever, Ice Age, typical CGI look. The "look" may not be as slick, but at least it's different.

Tycho
06-17-2008, 06:05 AM
The shots seemed out of place. I'm very used to Lucas' style of establishing shots - of troops, whatever. I doubt he actually directed this.

That will add to making this bad. When on a real set, Lucas can issue instructions to a cinemaphotographer. With animation, after some guy with less than a savvy sense of taste spends a week on an aimated sequence, I can see the non-confrontational Lucas saying, "Yeah. That's good enough."

Lucas has slid down from the ranks of "can do no harm," but he can still get what he wants from a cinemaphotographer in my opinion.

I don't think that was done with the animation.

As to scantily clad ladies? Well, that gets my attention. So they might as well be. Though I agree, it is not always realistic.

With Aayla Secura being a female Twi'lek who ARE typically brought off Ryloth as sex slaves, her dressing in a similar manner actually helps conceal her identity as a Jedi and causes her adversaries to underestimate her. I don't know too much about the Togrutu species, however.

And the ladies? We have Ventress, Aurra Sing, and Zam Wessel on "the darker side," and Aayla Secura on the Light Side. It's not too much, but it needs to stop. Padme is a main character and could be utilized before she gets pregnant (in Clone Wars). Many say she is not that interesting. Well, here's the chance to help her out instead of inventing yet another female character that no one's ever heard of before.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-17-2008, 04:43 PM
I doubt he actually directed this.
He didn't; he was the executive producer and worked with the editors and other odds and ends.

Jargo
06-19-2008, 05:49 PM
I won't be watching 'The clone wars'. I just detest anything related to the clone wars. it's been overplayed and overshadowed the rest of the saga. has little to do with storytelling and everything to do with moneyspinning.

Blue2th
06-20-2008, 12:47 PM
The humans in Clone Wars are kinda ugly, but Yoda is just too cute: http://www.jedidefender.com/image.pl?http://www.jedidefender.com/news/images/6-08/SDCC_acme_CWyoda.jpg

Mvader91
06-20-2008, 01:11 PM
Not too exciting, It's like all these are are afterthoughts. make the final three, that's something to talk about.

jedi master sal
06-20-2008, 03:17 PM
You know I just thought about this....back in the day Lucas said this would be a 12 or 9 movie story. Okay so that was really meant to be (if 9 movies) the two trilogies we have and one after the OT.

But what if Lucas plans on making good on his promise even if out of order?

We've got this animated feature. Count that as one. The the animated show. Which you could count as another. Then the live action show for the third.

Just a thought....or maybe I'm overthinking this and it's just a prolonged money grab.

Honestly, I think Lucas wants more stories to be told for the fun aspect of the story. But he knows it's going to be a cash cow as well.

Okay, so new poll within this poll question:

How would you guess how well this animated movie is going to do on opening weekend? worldwide total (after say 2 months)

Opening weekend:
$100million +
75-100 million
50-75 million
25-50 million
15-25 million
less than 15 million (in essence a bomb)

Worldwide after 2 months of being out:
300 million+
200-300 million
100-200 million
50-100 million
less than 50 million (in essence a bomb)

I'm actually not all that optimistic about this. For one, it's not a holiday weekend and an August release which if I recall is a bad month to release movies. (I can't remember any blockbusters released in this month)

For opening weekend I'm going to guess it will do 25 million. Overall after 2 months worldwide, I'll say 125 million.

Decent numbers but not comparable to the previous 6 movies.

JediTricks
06-20-2008, 05:15 PM
You're way overthinking this. The cartoon is an afterthought, and not in the "episode" system, it doesn't even fit what Lucas originally created when he first released Star Wars (which was never anything beyond what we got in the OT).

Tycho
06-22-2008, 03:46 AM
Sal, I don't care how it does.

I'll go and see it. It's like going through the motions - you know - like how you attend relatives' weddings and funerals, and visit them on holidays, even though you'd spend the time better if you had it just left to yourself?

I may even like it. But from what I've seen - it's not that likely.

I like Lucas' cinematography "directing" and these cartoonists didn't really approximate that from what I can tell of the previews.

Anakin did not need a padawan and unless they tell the story of a desperate pairing - which only lessens the impact of the one which put Anakin under Obi-Wan's wing in TPM - it won't even come close to feeling right. "Under normal circumstances" the Jedi wouldn't trust Anakin to be any learner's mentor. Granted, the Clone Wars are not normal circumstances. So they could spin this so it makes sense, but it wouldn't be my frist choice. The development of the relationship of Anakin and Obi-Wan, once Anakin has been knighted, should be a focal point. The padawan brings in an unnecessary distraction - at least that's my instinctive first opinion.

Now I think if they expand on Darth Tyranus' relationship with his master, that could be interesting. The Sith could be much more elaborated upon.

We'll see how it all goes. I'm not holding my breath that I'll even like this - and I doubt I'll wait in line all night to see it. A chance to lightsaber fight at the movies might be worth it though.

I have no plans to collect animated-looking figures though.