PDA

View Full Version : Imperial Pilots Evolutions Set!

Battle Droid
06-12-2008, 11:39 PM
http://jediinsider.com/index.php?catid=8&itemid=11125

El Chuxter
06-13-2008, 12:03 AM
They are just milking this Evolutions s*** without giving us stuff we actually ask for, aren't they?

Darklighter is one of the worst Star Wars comics I ever read, hands down. Yet we get Biggs from that instead of Jaxxon, who at least was in a comic that was SUPPOSED to be a little fun and silly.

Why can't they just slap Han Solo's head on a TIE Pilot body already? That might've made me consider buying this. EU Biggs with two resculpted Clonetroopers, no way.

Maradona
06-13-2008, 12:28 AM
I'd like to see how Biggs looks with the helmet on. If it covers his head completely, the set might be worth it for me to open up.

Mad Slanted Powers
06-13-2008, 12:45 AM
Looks like some nice improvements to the ROTS Clone Pilot, the Clone Wars pilot is a new style, and Biggs looks all right. Not a bad set.

Blue2th
06-13-2008, 02:38 AM
That looks like the blue colored Clone Pilot for the Clone Wars I Shark Mouth Gunship. Finally, and with the Quad Gunner for Legacy wave 2, that's two figures that were exclusive to that episode. Cool :thumbsup:

Too bad I have to buy two "meh" figures to get the one Clone Pilot, and I'm going to need at least two.

jedi master sal
06-13-2008, 09:12 AM
I'm actually pretty cool with this set. I'll prolly get two sets in fact. (Need two pilots for the Shark Gunship). I'll be glad to have the removable helmet ROTS Pilot. That was a custom I had wanted to do for a long time now and Hasbro has saved me that trouble. AND I've actually wanted that Biggs TIE Pilot. By the looks of it, the "visor" is up (or retracted) on his helmet so you can see his face. That's only mildy disappointing if that's the case. (But true to the comic)

Since I'll be buying two of that set, I may be trading/selling the extra Biggs. So if anyone is interested, LMK.

-Sal

obi-dad
06-13-2008, 09:36 AM
That looks like the blue colored Clone Pilot for the Clone Wars I Shark Mouth Gunship. Finally, and with the Quad Gunner for Legacy wave 2, that's two figures that were exclusive to that episode. Cool :thumbsup:

Too bad I have to buy two "meh" figures to get the one Clone Pilot, and I'm going to need at least two.

I would buy one Biggs from you... I'm not that interested in the other two pilots, myself and barely interested in Biggs, but one would be cool.

DarkJedi5
06-13-2008, 10:11 AM
Eh, I still think this set would have been better with Han Solo as the TIE pilot and an AT-AT driver thrown in. The clone pilots don't seem THAT great....

Blue2th
06-13-2008, 10:59 AM
Well, after a closer inspection, it seems the Clone Pilot is not the one from the series, but rather closer to the Target set Clones with the shark teeth on their legs and helmets.
I seem to remember though you can't see the rest of their bodies, in the Clone Wars episode they at least didn't have those shark teeth on their helmets. That Clone Pilot just had an emblem there. Besides it seems he would closer match the rest of the Gunship crew. I think this Pilot is made for the Shark Teeth Arc Fighter, which is ok I guess.
Just means we still need one made. Maybe Hasbro will hopefully release him on a single card.

LTBasker
06-13-2008, 11:18 AM
It feels a bit much like a cheesy set, I think a more appropriate set would have been ROTS Pilot > Han as TIE Pilot > AT-AT Driver/Cruisemissle Pilot. I don't think the AOTC/Clone Wars pilots can really count as Imperial since they're pre-Order 66, and it sucks if you want 2 for the gunship, or 2-3 for the ARC fighter.

dindae
06-13-2008, 11:35 AM
I like this set but not thrilled by it. I'm glad we got the CW version of the pilot to go in the gunship but I would want two and I have no need for two of the others. While I was blown away with the Biggs comic I can understand that there are few things that can be done to make a TIE pilot different from prior figures.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-13-2008, 01:58 PM
The Clone Wars pilot looks like a repaint of the other Evolutions clone pilot . . . fine, I suppose, but it seems a little cheap in this series. He can't really fit in with the "shark" ARC-170 (SHARK-170? :D ) since the other clones and pilots are ROTS-style, but I guess he'll go in the gunship.

The ROTS clone pilot is a fairly boring design, being mostly gray, but I knew they were going to update it, so whatever. Hopefully the visor is transparent but I doubt it. I can't see what design his helmet has, but I wish they had made either a specific Odd Ball or Jag figure (but they likely will with this mold in the future). He can sit in the ROTS ARC-170 anyway.

They're really going to town on Biggs, aren't they? This is a pretty cool version, though.

The confirmation of the second Rebel pilots set on the back is pretty cool as well, though I find it odd that they're using artwork instead of pictures of the figures themselves. A red-suited B-wing pilot will be awesome.

obi-dad
06-13-2008, 02:13 PM
It feels a bit much like a cheesy set, I think a more appropriate set would have been ROTS Pilot > Han as TIE Pilot > AT-AT Driver/Cruisemissle Pilot. I don't think the AOTC/Clone Wars pilots can really count as Imperial since they're pre-Order 66, and it sucks if you want 2 for the gunship, or 2-3 for the ARC fighter.

I simply would have preferred an all OT set. Actually for both sets of fans (and for those of you who go both ways :shocked:) having a PT Clone pilot set and and OT Imperial pilot set would probably has sold much more for army builders if they kept them generic and not specific like the Biggs one (though I actually like that figure).

JediTricks
06-13-2008, 06:00 PM
This looks like a real snore to me. A very plain set with little to really offer. Only the ROTS pilot seems to deliver something new.

Tycho
06-14-2008, 04:24 AM
I have no interest in this at all.

DarkJedi5
06-14-2008, 12:21 PM
Yeah, I was really excited too, I have all these Imperial craft that won't fly themselves, but this isn't what I was hoping for. Not by a long shot.

AmanaMatt
06-14-2008, 01:08 PM
Only fig I would want would be the Clone Pilot from movie. Biggs as a tie pilot is about the most idiotic thing I have seen Hasbro ever make. What garbage.

Tycho
06-14-2008, 03:25 PM
Yeah, no one is demanding the EU versions of many of the Rebel pilots as Imperials. However, in their backstory, that is how they were trained.

Former Imperial pilots who defected include Biggs, Hobbie, Celchu, and Han Solo.

While all those figures could be made in Imp Officer uniforms and TIE Pilot outfits, it really isn't necessary. What'd be kind of cool is if Luke and Mara Jade were done in TIE Pilot gear as they wore it during part of the Heir to the Empire series. The female Imperial pilot might be interesting, anyway.

But no. What I could use is a re-release of the AOTC Republic Gunship Pilot so that I may purchase 2 of them for the upcoming V-19s I plan to buy.

I don't need ROTS style pilots, nor the "special unit" AOTC pilots for the Clone Wars' striped vehicle style. And Biggs is just unnecessary any way you cut it.

DarkJedi5
06-14-2008, 05:46 PM
Former Imperial pilots who defected include Biggs, Hobbie, Celchu, and Han Solo.

Tycho, I believe you're forgetting Tycho....

Mad Slanted Powers
06-14-2008, 05:49 PM

Tycho, I believe you're forgetting Tycho....No, he didn't. Celchu = Tycho Celchu.

Snowtrooper
06-14-2008, 08:45 PM
Disappointing. While we'll get the ROTS pilot we wanted, this was a chance to give us the definitive TIE pilot. It would have made more sense to put TIE pilot Biggs into a comic 2pak rather then an evolutions set. And you know he'll be out of scale with the other Biggs.

Tycho
06-15-2008, 08:59 PM
Please describe "the definitive TIE Pilot" and explain what we need him for.

There are still OT figures like Bom Vimdim and Wioslea that have never been made befor

I have at least 16 TIE Pilot action figures now, between pack-ins, and 1996 POTF2 figures. I don't want to replace them and have anything extra (except money saved, that is).

Kidhuman
06-15-2008, 09:24 PM
Tis crap looks like an easy pass

Old Fossil
06-15-2008, 10:01 PM
I'll keep my 20 bucks, thanks.:sleeping:

Snowtrooper
06-15-2008, 10:07 PM
This is my idea of the definitive TIE pilot:

1. Upgraded articulation(obvious). The Saga version is lacking ball jointed shoulders, ankle joints, torso joint, and ball joint elbows(one elbow doesn't have any and the other side has an awkward cut to it limiting poses).

2. Different Helmet. While the Saga one isn't too bad, its not quite right either. The visor is shaped different than it is in the movies and the "speaker" bulges out a bit much. Hasbro doesn't need to come up with a whole new TIE pilot head sculpt. They could just take the SAGA2 AT-AT driver helmet and modify it so the hoses attach on the faceplate rather than on the back. Didn't they do this in the movies? The AT-AT driver helmet basically seemed like a repaint of the TIE helmet to me. I'd rather not have a RH version, although if Hasbro remade it, we'd probably get that. RH limits the range of motion of the ball jointed neck IMO.

3. Less creases and wrinkles in the sculpt. The Saga version has too many of them. It looks like he pulled his uniform out of the corner of his closet and put it on. SAGA2 Death Star Gunner & AT-AT driver seem to have the right amount.

I guess since I don't have alot of TIE pilots, I'd really like to have the ulitimate version of this figure.

Blue2th
06-15-2008, 11:40 PM
They could come up with Vintage Series TIE Pilot. But then it would cost a lot more. More than likely it would be difinitive if they paid attention to the details.

bigbarada
06-15-2008, 11:51 PM
Aside from the articulation problems, the 2004 Saga TIE Pilot is perfect. The sculpting detail is spot on to the actual prop uniform and the helmet is more accurate than the 2006 AT-AT Driver's.

I almost don't want to see them update the figure because the Saga version is just that awesome.

Veers
06-15-2008, 11:58 PM
Those figs look awesome!

Maradona
06-17-2008, 12:05 AM
They could come up with Vintage Series TIE Pilot. But then it would cost a lot more. More than likely it would be difinitive if they paid attention to the details.

Initially, it would cost more, but we've all seen Vintage figures eventually get regular cards and prices and even inclusion in battle packs. I want better Tie and Clone Pilots than the ones we have now, but I see myself buying fewer of them if they are only offered in Evolutions sets.

obi-dad
06-17-2008, 07:54 AM
There's really no excuse for Hasbro not to have done definitive SA versions of any army builder they've released in the last several years. They claim the expense is in the developing/molding, so if they did it right (well, not the first time, since most OT army builders go back to the 70's/80's) they could just keep reusing the molds and saving money for all future releases instead of retooling here and retooling there or even where they start over from scratch.

mtriv73
06-17-2008, 10:33 AM
I guess I'm one of the few that likes this. I'd rather see a non-Biggs pilot in it though. It seems like he would have been more appropriate in a rebel pilot evolutions set since he ended up a rebel. Oh well, I'll buy it as soon as I see it.