PDA

View Full Version : Seismic charges in AOTC: love 'em or hate 'em?

El Chuxter
06-13-2008, 05:25 PM
You know, those things that Jango drops in the asteroid field, which smash asteroids with a sound not unlike an '80s hair metal power chord?

I'd always assumed, based on the handful of people I discussed this with, that everyone had the same opinion of these things. I felt that they were the worst sound effect in a movie where, overall, Ben Burrt was not at the top of his game. (Really, how many guys talked like Jabba the Hutt in that movie?)

It was inconsistent with the rest of the saga (including the other space scenes in AOTC) to actually show space as silent. More realistic, perhaps, but inconsistent with what we were shown before. I also thought the guitar chord was not especially clever, given some of the amazing work Burrt did on the other five Star Wars movies.

However, I've been informed that some people thought this effect was cool.

So, love 'em or hate 'em?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-13-2008, 05:32 PM
You already know this, but for the record, I love 'em.

And who talked like Jabba? I'm drawing a blank.

jjreason
06-13-2008, 05:32 PM
The sound was fine. What's missing is the score. :mad:

El Chuxter
06-13-2008, 05:37 PM
And who talked like Jabba? I'm drawing a blank.

Wat Tambor (with a different accent), the Rune Haako surrogate, and the unseen (presumably Hutt) comedian in the Outlander Club.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-13-2008, 05:39 PM
Wat Tambor (with a different accent), the Rune Haako surrogate, and the unseen (presumably Hutt) comedian in the Outlander Club.
Oh. I have a deep voice, too, so naturally everyone thinks I'm Jabba. :D

I also never thought that was a comedian, but I did think the disembodied voice in the club was a Hutt.

El Chuxter
06-13-2008, 05:42 PM
I always figured him for a comedian, since I don't know who else would be speaking like that in a club.

It's not just the depth of the voices that sound alike to me. James Earl Jones, Ving Rhames, Michael Clarke Duncan, Lou Gossett Jr, Barry White, Tiny Zeus Lister, Dr Dre, and Isaac Hayes all have really deep voices, but they don't sound alike. (Ving Rhames and Michael Clarke Duncan are probably the only two from that list who could be mistaken for one another.)

DarthQuack
06-13-2008, 05:46 PM
I loved listening to them be dropped....that the podracing noise are my favs next to the lightsaber battles.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-13-2008, 05:47 PM
I know, I was just bustin' your balls. But to me, at least, those guys' voices sound nothing alike, apart from being low. Though that Neimoidian guy is a tard for a variety of reasons.

Anywho, back to the seismic charges, I suppose.

El Chuxter
06-13-2008, 05:48 PM
I know, I was just bustin' your balls.

Consider them busted. :crazed:

CaptainSolo1138
06-13-2008, 08:53 PM
I like the noises, too. But I am just a prequel apologist, thus negating anything positive I may have to say about the films.

bobafrett
06-14-2008, 12:28 AM
I rather found them quite enjoyable. Silence, then the "Bewooowww". Actually it has been awhile since I watched it honestly, but I never remember thinking it was bad. Jar Jar on the other hand was annoying to the point that I wanted to fly to California, and kick George in his privates.

Darth Jax
06-14-2008, 10:59 AM
While seeing a shock wave destroy some asteroids was fine, i'm a hater of the sound.

The Jericho effect in Iron Man was done better i thought.

2-1B
06-14-2008, 01:18 PM
I'm a lover of those sounds.

JetsAndHeels
06-14-2008, 02:20 PM
Awesome sound effect. I remember during my 1st viewing, I thought they were completely silent. When they first hit something they made no sound, then suddenly they got loud. Seeing it at IMAX made it much more enjoyable.

JediTricks
06-14-2008, 05:05 PM
The idea behind them is they're a "sound black hole" and in that regard, they work very well for what they're trying to achieve. However, I found that they didn't really sound Star Warsy at all, they lacked the pulp-tech quality that Star Wars works best within. When they went off, I rolled my eyes.

But I also don't like most of the prequel engine sounds, too much techno-chop (propeller airplanes processed through a synth), and some are just downright grating (STAP is an electric razor on a metal bowl, I hate this one).

jeddah
06-17-2008, 02:28 PM
aboslutely love them. I mean they were a stand out for me in terms of the sfx sounds. Also loved the Pod racers, senator Amidala's starship at the opening of AOTCs and the sound of the AATs coming over the ridge on the Naboo plains.

What does grate on me however are the new vox Battledroids in ROTS, the fact that the Super BDs talked, but possibly the funniest "magnetise, MAGNETISE" on Grievious' ship.

Not hated but what is it with Palpatine's voice after he fights Mace? Seems like it is some depths of Hell demon voice until he puts the hood up.

jeddah

Bel-Cam Jos
06-17-2008, 02:59 PM
They didn't hold up away from the sound system of the theaters, but yeah, they're among my faves in the series. Also like the droidekas firing sound effects, and Luke's girly scream (kidding... this is the Prequel section, so any comments from the OT don't even count).

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-17-2008, 04:23 PM
Also like the droidekas firing sound effects
Aren't these also in ANH when Chewie fires the rifle in the detention block? But I still associate the sound more with the Destroyer Droids.

mtriv73
06-18-2008, 11:18 AM
The idea behind them is they're a "sound black hole" and in that regard, they work very well for what they're trying to achieve.

So there is some way a "sonic" weapon could work in a vacuum where sound doesn't carry? This is the part that has always bothered me. Unless the weapon released some matter to propagate the sound it wouldn't work in outer space. It would have been a fantastic sound effect if the droid army used it on the Bongo in TPM (especially if JarJar had been killed.)

jamesbondo07
06-18-2008, 12:02 PM
I enjoyed the sound effects. It is probably my favorite one in the Prequals. Great dramatic silence before the loud sound effect.

JediTricks
06-18-2008, 03:35 PM
So there is some way a "sonic" weapon could work in a vacuum where sound doesn't carry? This is the part that has always bothered me. Unless the weapon released some matter to propagate the sound it wouldn't work in outer space. It would have been a fantastic sound effect if the droid army used it on the Bongo in TPM (especially if JarJar had been killed.)It's a "seismic" charge, so the sound is for the audience's benefit. The "sonic black hole" concept is merely the description of how Ben Burtt conceived of the behavior of the seismic charge going off.

Of course, a seismic charge in space doesn't make much sense either.

Devil King
06-18-2008, 11:01 PM
I didn't mind the sound effect. I just didn't like everything that came before it. And then I didn't like anything that came after it.

Blue2th
06-18-2008, 11:15 PM
I liked them. It's funny that films and TV shows alike have sound effects, when, as has been said there is no sound in space. It's what we are used to from Star Trek to Star Wars and everything in between.

There is something to be said about space scenes where there are large explosions, battles, missles firing, all kinds of things going on , but yet no sound. They do this on Battlestar Galactica, and I think it has a profound effect. Maybe it's because we are not used to it being that way, or it's the way it would be if it was real.

jedi master sal
06-19-2008, 11:35 AM
I thoroughly enjoyed them. Masterful. Something different.

Slave 1 and it's weapons should be different.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-19-2008, 12:12 PM
Slave 1 and it's weapons should be different.Whips and chains? Handcuffs and contracts of ownership? :whip:

I agree. For being such a dangerous adversary, pitchu-pitchu-pitchu guns and a couple missles were a bit tame.

jedi master sal
06-20-2008, 11:46 PM
Whips and chains? Handcuffs and contracts of ownership? :whip:

I agree. For being such a dangerous adversary, pitchu-pitchu-pitchu guns and a couple missles were a bit tame.

Bingo BCJ you hit it on the head... :rolleyes:

JetsAndHeels
06-21-2008, 02:16 PM
The Slave I is an awesome ship. And seismic charges are awesome too. So there. :)

Banthaholic
07-16-2008, 11:01 PM
I love them. Especially in surround sound crancked up. Awesome!

Jaff
08-13-2008, 02:34 PM
I love em to death. Sometimes I just skip the whole beginning of the movie and start the movie at the Slave 1 taking off.

Exhaust Port
08-13-2008, 03:15 PM
The seismic charge sound was favorite sound from the movie (actually tied with with Sebulba's pod racer's sound).

cookiemonster
08-24-2008, 01:27 PM
I love em to death. Sometimes I just skip the whole beginning of the movie and start the movie at the Slave 1 taking off.
__________________________________________________ ______________
Sometimes I also skip the Beginning as well, however I also skip the Middle and the End and just watch a better movie, ESB or ANH or ROTJ, or even the Holiday Special, lol.:whip::thumbsup:

bobafrett
08-24-2008, 05:33 PM
__________________________________________________ ______________
Sometimes I also skip the Beginning as well, however I also skip the Middle and the End and just watch a better movie, ESB or ANH or ROTJ, or even the Holiday Special, lol.:whip::thumbsup:

Somethin ain't right with that boy.

The holiday special should be burned, and wiped from the emories of all those who have viewed it.

cookiemonster
08-25-2008, 02:27 PM
:sleeping:Hey I never said I was right-in the head, you have to be a lil touched to still collect toys at this age:yes:, lol.

Ando
08-25-2008, 03:41 PM
I love the seismic charges in AotC!

It's how I show off my HDTV and surround sound system.

El Chuxter
08-25-2008, 03:54 PM
I have not learned to love the seismic charges.

However, they're good in the sack, so I definitely like them.

Tenric78
08-25-2008, 05:14 PM

Ditto.

I love them especially since there's that split second of silence before they blow.

Ando
08-25-2008, 05:31 PM
Ditto.

I love them especially since there's that split second of silence before they blow.

EXACTLY. Makes me want to go home and watch that scene.

Neuroleptic
08-25-2008, 05:32 PM
I didn't mind the sonic charges or whatever they are. But I hated the sound effect for the queen's ship in the beginning of episode 2, the gutar sound effect for one of the speeders during the chace before they go into the bar in episode 2, and the very obvious race car sound effect for the droid fighters in episode 1

Exhaust Port
08-25-2008, 06:44 PM

A few years ago my brother and I bought a big HDTV for our folks for their 60th birthdays. We had it delivered while they were out of town and I met them at their house when they arrived. It was this scene that I used to "wow" them with there new gift. It does look and sound awesome IMHO.

Lazer Brain
08-26-2008, 08:41 AM
The seismic charge sound was favorite sound from the movie (actually tied with with Sebulba's pod racer's sound).

I really like the sonic sound, as for Sebulba's pod racer sound.. I think I found were it came from...i was on vacation in New orleans last month and we were riding the trolley car around town and when the car comes to a stop it makes that chugchug sound, as soon as i heard it i knew it was a pod racer sound. or at least that is the same type of machine they got it from.
later

Bel-Cam Jos
08-26-2008, 09:06 PM
I have not learned to love the seismic charges.

However, they're good in the sack, so I definitely like them.Well, I love them, but I'm not IN love with them.
:checktheboxYesNoMaybeSo :

Saberist
08-24-2010, 02:46 PM
So there is some way a "sonic" weapon could work in a vacuum where sound doesn't carry? This is the part that has always bothered me. Unless the weapon released some matter to propagate the sound it wouldn't work in outer space. It would have been a fantastic sound effect if the droid army used it on the Bongo in TPM (especially if JarJar had been killed.)

Look up 'scalar weapons' or read the book _The Brotherhood Of The Bell_ by Joseph Farrell.

According to some nasty German folks, the universe or at least the mass within it isn't really 'there' at all so much as a relief map or topological construct sitting on a seething zero point energy sea. Things like electrons, protons and neutrons act as coordinate points defining a 'vortex bubble' into which this ZPE emits with physical characteristics into the observed world. Things like gravity are relative to the mass of the object as defined by the number of coordinate particles.

This is important because, while gravity itself is not adjustable by EM energy that we know of (cough, torsion fields), -mass- can be by adjusting the amount of heightened vs. ground state energy that is pumped into the object (the isomer band limits). Same particle count, different energy state characteristics.

If you either physically (shape) or electromagnetically (spin) stress the phase polarity or compression of his balloon, you can channel more or less energy into it which, at a certain level, will resonate with the base particle geometry or -signature- of the mass, collapsing it with a gravity inversion.

So, the idea is you have a map of all the mass types out there, make a big bundle of energy by collapsing some really heavy elements (probably artificial and metastable) together and then when they deflate, reemit the energy wave as a tuned gravity wave that resonates at a sufficient number of base and harmonic frequencies in whatever it touches so as to cause -their- bodies to collapse, sheering molecular as atomic bindings.

Note, this is not a 'vibration' through the medium as sound through air. But rather a vibration -within- the target mass which is sympathetic to the travelling wave.

Hence the Greek 'Seismos': Shock or 'Seiein': Shaken.

Saberist

JimJamBonds
08-24-2010, 03:32 PM
Ummm yeah, thats what I was thinking as well but Sab's beat me to it. :rolleyes: