PDA

View Full Version : Less-appreciated holidays (USA and abroad)

Bel-Cam Jos
06-14-2008, 10:24 AM
Today is Flag Day here in the ol' U.S. of A. It gets some coverage on the news, and sadly fewer and fewer people are displaying their flags, at least around my area (which is fairly patriotic). What other holidays don't get the treatment they deserve? And what others are out there (especially internationally, where some of us don't even know about them) we are clueless about, or how they started?

I laugh about Arbor Day (from some old radio commercial where someone was saying they would go on a diet or lose wait on "Arbor Day, definitely Arbor Day" ) at times, but trees can help all of us out (shade, apples, CO2 levels, etc.).

Others?

JediTricks
06-14-2008, 05:16 PM
In Boy Scouts, I was a color guard several times in big events, we learned about honoring the flag and folding it properly, and even we didn't really give much thought to Flag Day. It's celebrating the adoption of the US flag, not that big a deal to me, it's what the flag stands for that matters more. The idea of celebrating the adoption of a symbol rings hollow to me, I'd rather folks display their flags whenever they feel patriotic rather than twice a year because the calendar says so.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-14-2008, 08:54 PM
I'd rather folks display their flags whenever they feel patriotic rather than twice a year because the calendar says so.
This can also kind of be applied to most other holidays as well, if you think about it (not the flag aspect, just celebrating in general).

sith_killer_99
06-14-2008, 09:21 PM
I laugh about Arbor Day (from some old radio commercial where someone was saying they would go on a diet or lose wait on "Arbor Day, definitely Arbor Day" ) at times, but trees can help all of us out (shade, apples, CO2 levels, etc.).

Arbor day is actually more important than most people think. Did you know, for instance that grown "adult" trees are actually oxygen neutral. This means that they produce as much as they use, as opposed to young tress that actually produce more oxygen than they use.

This is why it's important to plant trees.

It is also why I support deforestation so long as each tree is replaced by a young sapling. It's much better for the environment. Also older trees tend to die and leave kindling which can lead to uncontrolled burning of forests if/when a fire breaks out.:yes:

As for lesser appreciated holidays, I believe the world should celebrate my birthday May 10th! This should be a global holiday in which every citizen of the earth should send me one dollar...just for being me!:D

Bel-Cam Jos
06-15-2008, 10:34 AM
This is why it's important to plant trees.

As for lesser appreciated holidays, I believe the world should celebrate my birthday May 10th! This should be a global holiday in which every citizen of the earth should send me one dollar...just for being me!:DI've actually been doing that for the last 26 years, sk. Your address is 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. in Washington, D.C., right? :greedy:

As for trees and flags, I try to consider their importance, regardless of the calendar, but joining in with others on certain days is the value of such holidays, I believe. I had US flags in my car more 6 years and 8 months ago (do the math to see what I mean) and I also know how to fold it from Boy Scouts. There've been at least three trees on my property for the last 20+ years for all those great reaons listed.

As Kool and the Gang sang, "cel-e-brate good times, come on! "

sith_killer_99
06-15-2008, 12:16 PM
Your address is 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. in Washington, D.C., right?

Not yet.;)

There've been at least three trees on my property for the last 20+ years for all those great reaons listed.

I don't own property right now, but I helped my folks plan a young tree at their place a few years ago. I also worked for a tree company and landscaping business while I was in high school. We planted a lot of trees.:D

CaptainSolo1138
06-15-2008, 12:22 PM
I celebrate Boxing Day every year by beating the crap out of Robin Givens.

El Chuxter
06-16-2008, 02:40 AM
Arbor Day is a celebration of the greatness of John Denver, who was so incredibly awesome that Jesus wanted him to play his birthday party every year and faked his death in a plane crash. He, Enoch, and Elijah are the only three mortal men to ever ascend into heaven without dying first.

2-1B
06-16-2008, 01:33 PM
Dengar Day

El Chuxter
06-16-2008, 02:41 PM
Little-known fact: Dengar Day was founded in 1982 by actor Morris Bush, because he thought John Denver was so incredibly awesome, he needed another day to celebrate his awesomeness. However, Bush, not wanting to fall afoul of trademark lawyers by calling it Arbor Day II or John Denver Day, named the day after a character he'd played in The Empire Strikes Back, whom he expected would always be obscure.

JEDIpartner
06-16-2008, 02:42 PM
12 February... Pancake Day!!!

JimJamBonds
06-16-2008, 09:52 PM
Patriots Day (the start of the Rev War) doesn't get much pub on April 19th although its celebrated on the 3rd Monday in April. (its also the day the Boston Marathon is run).

Blue2th
06-16-2008, 10:38 PM
I can hear John Denver right now "Plaaant a treeee... plaaant a treeee"

JediTricks
06-16-2008, 10:57 PM
This can also kind of be applied to most other holidays as well, if you think about it (not the flag aspect, just celebrating in general).I suppose, but celebrating the adoption of a symbol seems too removed, unlike Thanksgiving or 4th of July or Christmas where an actual event is being celebrated.

BTW, to this day, it still disgusts me to see people put those cheap little American flags on their cars and let them get all tattered and faded, that's not patriotism being exercised, it's consumerism, and while we may argue that America and consumerism go hand in hand, it doesn't excuse the disrespect to the flag.

I feel that way about $2 flags made in other countries bought at the local mini-mart and yet even still I don't give a crap about flag day. :p

Patriots Day (the start of the Rev War) doesn't get much pub on April 19th although its celebrated on the 3rd Monday in April. (its also the day the Boston Marathon is run).Dude, never even HEARD of that one! :D

Bel-Cam Jos
06-17-2008, 11:50 AM
Not to send this into the RP by leaning the thread too much towards the political, but I do update the condition of my car flags in my back window, and save the old ones up to give to the local VFW to properly dispose of them.

I know the dates/seasons of the major holidays (Christmas, Easter, Thanksgiving, Independence Day [figure that one out :p ], Valentine's, St. Patrick's, New Year's, Cinco de Mayo, Presidents', MLK Jr., etc.) and most of the "less-appreciated" ones (Veterans' Day [11/11... used to be Armistice Day], Memorial, Groundhog, Earth, etc.), while forgetting when others are scheduled (Boxing Day, Arbor, Patriot, Cesar Chavez, Guy Fawlkes [sp?], Bastille, etc.). That was simply my idea for starting the thread, along with learning of some int'l ones.

El Chuxter
06-17-2008, 02:17 PM
How can you forget Guy Fawkes Day?

"Remember, remember...."

DarthQuack
06-18-2008, 08:11 AM
No holidays when you have to work all of them...

TeeEye7
06-18-2008, 12:10 PM
No holidays when you have to work all of them...

Yeah, but *cha-ching* I sure love the premium pay I get for working them! :yes:

sith_killer_99
06-18-2008, 11:47 PM
Ease up on the P&R, this thread may get shut down, better to start a new thread in the pit.

February 2nd - Duck-Billed Platypus Day! All hail the platypi!

May 25th - Towel Day! This holiday should be celebrated by watching "South Park" re-runs in which Towelie is the main character or he plays a key role in the story line.

Blue2th
06-19-2008, 12:04 AM
Summer Solstice
My sister who will be going to a birthday on Saturday says they will also be celebtrating Summer Solstice. Mentioned something about a drum circle.
Don't know much about Pagan holidays, but it sounds like a lot of fun.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-19-2008, 01:18 PM
Geez, all those "National _____ Day" holidays are an entirely different beast! National Ice Cream Day (some time in March?), National Library Week (in April, I think), National Make Up a National Day Day (Feb. 30th?)...

JediTricks
06-19-2008, 08:39 PM
Ease up on the P&R, this thread may get shut down, better to start a new thread in the pit.You started it!!! :p

Anyway, I did split off that flag-burning conversation into the Pit:

http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=38266

But I still suspect flag day is less recognized in our nation than groundhog's day. :p

Bel-Cam Jos
06-20-2008, 12:11 PM
You started it!!! :p

But I still suspect flag day is less recognized in our nation than groundhog's day. :pActually, I may have started "it" with my submitting this as a new thread... :(

Sadly, you are probably correct. See your shadow, make the news. Flags just aren't "newsworthy," I guess. :(

Blue2th
06-20-2008, 01:40 PM
Flags just aren't "newsworthy," I guess. :(

Unless some "un-american" isn't wearing lapel pin. :rolleyes:

JediTricks
06-20-2008, 04:52 PM
Actually, I may have started "it" with my submitting this as a new thread... :(Bann'd!

Sadly, you are probably correct. See your shadow, make the news. Flags just aren't "newsworthy," I guess. :(I still say a holiday based on the adoption of a symbol is pretty much destined to be ignored.

sith_killer_99
06-20-2008, 06:35 PM
I still say a holiday based on the adoption of a symbol is pretty much destined to be ignored.

Right, like Christmas or Hanukkah.. Ooops, sorry, JK by the way. I get what you mean, the symbol is not as important as the thing itself.

JediTricks
06-23-2008, 05:44 PM
Flag day is the celebration of the adoption of a symbol, doesn't that seem a little convoluted?

Bel-Cam Jos
01-18-2010, 06:53 PM
All those parade watchers and participants in the rain and wind 'round here in LA and SoCal are showing why MLK Jr. Day is quite appreciated. :yes:

pbarnard
01-18-2010, 08:02 PM
Nothing says equality like Mattress, Linen, and Patio furniture sales.

mtriv73
01-19-2010, 09:04 AM
Nothing says equality like Mattress, Linen, and Patio furniture sales.

Yes, but everyone gets the same low, low price. Would that have been true before MLK?

JimJamBonds
01-19-2010, 08:40 PM
Flag day is the celebration of the adoption of a symbol, doesn't that seem a little convoluted?

When that symbol means as much as the American flag does I find that not to be convoluted.

pbarnard
01-19-2010, 08:42 PM
I think Armed Forces Day is way undervalued. Instead of wishing ACTIVE SERVING MILITARY PERSONNEL a thank you/happy day/thinking of you, we convolute it with VETRANS Day, those who have already done their service and are out.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-20-2010, 07:50 PM
I think Armed Forces Day is way undervalued.And I feel bad that that's the one I can't seem to recall when it happens each year. :( I rely on the calendar telling me, and I put out the flag and talk about it, until I forget its date once again. That's sad on my part.:whip: May 15th, I shall honor you more than just an Ides of... date! :thumbsup:

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
02-06-2010, 01:32 PM
What, no love for St. Swithin's Day?

DarthQuack
02-06-2010, 02:10 PM
No holidays in my birth month of August. :upset:

JimJamBonds
02-06-2010, 06:02 PM
No holidays in my birth month of August. :upset:
I'm an August kid as well (end of the month), one historical event that took place that I always remember is the bombing of Hiroshima (which my dad was one year old on the day that event happened).

Does anybody know when is St. Hubbins day again? St. Hubbins ie. the patron saint of quality footwear.

TeeEye7
02-06-2010, 06:57 PM
I thought that was St. Birkenstock. :confused:

JimJamBonds
02-06-2010, 11:20 PM
I thought that was St. Birkenstock. :confused:

Its from This Is Spinal Tap. :p

Bel-Cam Jos
09-06-2010, 10:59 AM
Labor Day is doubtfully a "lesser-appreciated" holiday since many people know when it is, but maybe its BBQ and party aspects aren't really as thankful for the laborers for whom the day is intended. It used to be the "unofficial end" to summer, as the local news mentioned, but with school FOUR WEEKS IN ALREADY, I wonder if it'll become a lesser holiday in time. My flag's out, too.

Thanks, labor people! :thumbsup: And thanks for employers letting us still labor! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Bel-Cam Jos
10-24-2010, 02:19 PM
Happy United Nations Day to all people in nations today!

InsaneJediGirl
10-25-2010, 09:38 AM
What abut All Saints Day? I suppose since its just a Catholic holiday it really isn't represented outside churches...

I didn't read all the posts, but what about V-Day? Thats an important day in history and we're just letting it pass by!

JimJamBonds
11-03-2010, 11:40 PM
I didn't read all the posts, but what about V-Day? Thats an important day in history and we're just letting it pass by!

This year I posted as my status on FB "Happy V-E Day + 65 Years" and "Happy V-J Day + 65 Years" as a small way of reminding people of what happened.

I also 'remind' people of Lord Nelon's victory over the combined fleets of France and Spain in one of the most famous sea battles ever: The Battle of Trafalger.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-22-2011, 04:54 PM
I forgot to post about yesterday as Armed Forces Day, but I didn't forget to remember.

JimJamBonds
05-22-2011, 05:14 PM
Isn't flag day right around this time of year as well?

Bel-Cam Jos
05-23-2011, 04:59 PM
I can remember 6/14 as Flag Day, but Armed Forces Day (5/15) seems to slip my mind. :(

Bel-Cam Jos
07-10-2011, 06:58 PM
Apparently, July 6th is National Fried Chicken Day. Where were the weekend ads and sales, the parades, the merchandise, the time-and-a-half paid holidays?

Bel-Cam Jos
09-05-2011, 02:13 PM
Not even SSG deems Labor day worthy of bottom-of-the-main-page notice today? :( Not working today, I guess.

TeeEye7
09-05-2011, 04:31 PM
:greedy:
:( Not working today, I guess.

I'll be going in to work in just a little while :greedy:

Can you say, "Holiday pay?"

JimJamBonds
09-06-2011, 05:06 PM
:greedy:

I'll be going in to work in just a little while :greedy:

Can you say, "Holiday pay?"I labored on Labor Day as well.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-11-2011, 05:03 PM
Or what about over-hyped days? (discounting the Veteran's day aspect, which does deserve appreciation)

So, where were you at 11:11 on 11/11/11?

nohagent
11-11-2011, 09:36 PM
I do my best to celebrate by watching the USA kick *** on TV, then seriously I do think about all these Vets. Makes me wish I had served, something mystical about that. I remember when Blackhawk down came out. Back then I was really into shooters like Rainbow Six and Ghost Recon, but after the movie I took a break from playing out of respect for those who really have laid down their lives, if was a very interesting feeling that came over me.

JimJamBonds
11-12-2011, 02:45 PM
So, where were you at 11:11 on 11/11/11?I was at home, just gotten back from a run.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-16-2012, 09:38 AM
How did everyone celebrate their Bastille Day this past Saturday?

TeeEye7
07-16-2012, 10:15 AM
How did everyone celebrate their Bastille Day this past Saturday?

I don't know about anyone else but I worked on some plumbing repairs on my house.
...too busy to do any storming to release any political prisoners...

Bel-Cam Jos
07-16-2012, 10:19 AM
I don't know about anyone else but I worked on some plumbing repairs on my house.
...too busy to do any storming to release any political prisoners...
You could've cleaned out storm drains with a governor's pardon...

TeeEye7
07-16-2012, 10:21 AM
You could've cleaned out storm drains with a governor's pardon...

AB109 pretty much has already made that happen.....

(Can you say, "crime has gone up in California....?")

Bel-Cam Jos
09-19-2012, 09:01 AM
Arr! Today bein' the Talk Like a Pirate Day 'round the world, ye should put all yer support behind the Pittsburgh baseball club! Go Buccs! :Pirate: Raise the Jolly Roger! And, they be playin' the Brewers of grog, so raise yer mug, too!

Bel-Cam Jos
09-22-2012, 11:52 AM
Krispy Kreme had a deal where you got a free donut if you stopped in their store and talked like a pirate that day, or a dozen if you dressed like one. I had on a Roberto Clemente PIRATES jersey over a black PIRATES logo shirt and a PIRATES cap, while wearing an eye patch; I was denied the box since I wasn't in a "real" pirates outfit. :mad: Hey! There are :Pirate:s of the sea; I was a land-lubber :Pirate:. Some :Pirate:s swing cutlasses; I swing a bat. Arr! I shoulda sacked an' plundered their barnacle-blasted, scurvy shoppe!

TeeEye7
09-22-2012, 01:02 PM
Krispy Kreme had a deal where you got a free donut if you stopped in their store and talked like a pirate that day, or a dozen if you dressed like one. I had on a Roberto Clemente PIRATES jersey over a black PIRATES logo shirt and a PIRATES cap, while wearing an eye patch; I was denied the box since I wasn't in a "real" pirates outfit. :mad: Hey! There are :Pirate:s of the sea; I was a land-lubber :Pirate:. Some :Pirate:s swing cutlasses; I swing a bat. Arr! I shoulda sacked an' plundered their barnacle-blasted, scurvy shoppe!

You DO have Larry H. Parker's phone number, don't you?

:hurt:

Bel-Cam Jos
09-22-2012, 11:36 PM
You DO have Larry H. Parker's phone number, don't you?

:hurt:Pirates don't need no stinkin' lawyers! :gotme2point1million: :Pirate:

Bel-Cam Jos
10-08-2012, 10:42 AM
Apparently, Columbus Day has come back as a "real" holiday. Found out in today's paper that banks are closed, and no mail (but trash schedule stays the same). I thought our school district just hid one of our furlough days as "Admissions Day/Columbus Day."

JediTricks
10-08-2012, 11:17 PM
All day I kept repeating "excuse me, just one more thing..." in honor of the day. And then I found it it was Columbus day.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-09-2012, 01:28 AM
ColumBO knows mysteries. ;)

JediTricks
10-13-2012, 03:52 AM
ColumBO knows mysteries. ;)I'm sorry, did you take my joke and turn it into an ancient reference to a series of Nike ads for Bo Jackson??? That's impressive.

Bel-Cam Jos
02-03-2013, 08:46 AM
Good to know that Phil says winter's about over. :TheNoShadowKnows:

Bel-Cam Jos
02-14-2013, 09:08 PM
Is today some "kind" of holiday? :love:

Bel-Cam Jos
02-27-2013, 09:02 PM
Well, 2013 must've taken a furlough day; no 29th this year. :sad:

Bel-Cam Jos
03-10-2013, 09:40 PM
I sure don't appreciate this Daylight "Savings" Time day. :(

JediTricks
03-11-2013, 04:18 PM
Stupid DST time change. I went to bed at 2am Sunday morning and realized it was now 3am. Jerks. Just leave it this way, let's have more daylight towards the end of the day from now on.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-16-2013, 10:42 AM
So, did you stab any "friends" of yours in the back yesterday? If literally, you will be haunted by their ghost and then die on a battlefield far from home. If figuratively, then you're a bad person! :BWareXVMarch:

JediTricks
03-17-2013, 03:04 PM
So, did you stab any "friends" of yours in the back yesterday? If literally, you will be haunted by their ghost and then die on a battlefield far from home. If figuratively, then you're a bad person! :BWareXVMarch:
Beware the American Idols of March. (American Idols has been suffering the ides of March in the form of weakest ratings ever, so the Ides of March might be a boon to the rest of us.)

Bel-Cam Jos
07-14-2013, 05:29 PM
Why do I have the urge to storm something French today...?

Bel-Cam Jos
07-20-2013, 11:40 PM
Today needs to become Moon Day. "If you believed they put a man on the moon (man on the moon)..."

sith_killer_99
07-21-2013, 04:28 PM
Yes, moon day, Congress is working on making a National Monument of the lunar landing site!

Bel-Cam Jos
09-02-2013, 02:26 PM
Labor Day: oxymoron : Boxing Day : pro-violence (for all you analogies fans out there, even thought this was a poor one)

JimJamBonds
09-03-2013, 09:46 PM
Yes, moon day, Congress is working on making a National Monument of the lunar landing site!

Umm wha? Since when do we (United States) owns the moon?

Bel-Cam Jos
09-03-2013, 10:10 PM
Uh, haven't you heard of the lick-it rule? Just after his famous speech, which also explains why his voice was off some, Mr. Armstrong claimed the moon (not made of cheese, so he said) for USA! USA!

JimJamBonds
09-04-2013, 10:56 PM
Uh, haven't you heard of the lick-it rule? Just after his famous speech, which also explains why his voice was off some, Mr. Armstrong claimed the moon (not made of cheese, so he said) for USA! USA!

I guess he decided to forget that UN proclamation/whatever saying no country can claim the moon.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-05-2013, 08:06 PM
Oh, I forgot how binding UN resolutions are, backed by the UN's powerful, respected forces. :p Sorry. ;)

JimJamBonds
09-06-2013, 09:40 AM
Oh, I forgot how binding UN resolutions are, backed by the UN's powerful, respected forces. :p Sorry. ;)

You mean the US military?

Bel-Cam Jos
09-14-2013, 09:59 AM
Yesterday, a Friday, was the 13th day of the month. Anyone chased by a knife-wielding netminder-mask-clad speedwalker maniac? :cuescarysoundeffects:

Bel-Cam Jos
10-15-2013, 12:37 AM
Well, the entire Internet sure hates Columbus Day.

JediTricks
10-15-2013, 06:58 PM
Well, the entire Internet sure hates Columbus Day.It's like the inverse of how much the internet loves Nikola Tesla, both are overblown reasons.

El Chuxter
10-15-2013, 07:38 PM
I love Tesla because he built Atomic Robo and founded an awesome rock band. :) Agreed on how overrated he is in internet culture--I actually think he's underrated by society as a whole, as there's no question he was a brilliant inventor, but I think some people think he invented oxygen. Edison was a douchebag, but his douchebaggery is a bit inflated online to make Tesla look better, also.

As for Columbus, I've rather disliked him for a while, but it looks like everyone else is finally catching up with me. The guy gets credit for an awful lot he didn't do, while an awful lot he did do is swept under the rug. Genocide, slavery, and greed on a rampant scale... the only things Caligula has on him are sister-loving and horse consuls.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-24-2013, 08:42 AM
Happy United Nations Day to all people in nations today!And again! I propose a resolution... to party! International style! Where's PSY?

El Chuxter
10-24-2013, 03:44 PM
Happy belated Bel-Cam Day!!!

JimJamBonds
11-01-2013, 10:15 PM
And again! I propose a resolution... to party! International style! Where's PSY?
I'm not sure those that have UN resolutions that effect their country is looking to party.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-02-2013, 10:37 AM
iDia de los Muertos! Who could ask for more? Don't run away; es solomente yo!

Bel-Cam Jos
12-31-2013, 11:09 AM
I wonder why more people don't recognize the last day of the calendar year? Maybe it's because THE DAY CHANGES EVERY YEAR?!? I mean, is it on a Tuesday, like today, or maybe it'll be a Thursday, or a Sunday? How can you plan any events, then? Just too confusing. I'm going to bed. :zzz:

Bel-Cam Jos
01-20-2014, 10:13 AM
I don't know if MLK Jr. Day is under appreciated in the US, but I do know many people aren't aware of when it is on the calendar. :(

JimJamBonds
01-20-2014, 10:08 PM
Today is my mothers birthday, although not many people know that.

El Chuxter
01-20-2014, 10:27 PM
Today was Leadbelly's birthday. Some other dude got dibs on the holiday, though.

Bel-Cam Jos
02-02-2014, 09:53 AM
Once again, not even a shadow of Groundhog's Day on the SSG Forums events list. :mad: No early spring for you! :p

Bel-Cam Jos
07-14-2014, 06:14 PM
Why do I have the urge to storm something French today...?Hmm; odd, that such an urge doesn't exist for me today. How do you say "que lastima" in French?