PDA

View Full Version : How does everyone display their loose collections?

GizorDellso
06-15-2008, 04:18 PM
I am having trouble getting some of my loose figures to stay standing.What tricks or products does everyone else use?

jamesbondo07
06-15-2008, 04:47 PM
The stands that come with the newer figures work fairly well for me. Realstands.com have some higher quality stands that are clear and work better for dioramas. They have two pegs instead of the standard one. There are some clear stands at brianstoys.com too but they are not as good quality. I have broken off the pegs in the feet of some of my figures. These have a single peg.

DarkArtist
06-15-2008, 07:53 PM
there is also a company called minimagstands.com. they are magnetic plates that pegs so you can pose them in dramatic poses. see the pics attached. the prices reasonable and some of the stuff you can do is amazing

jedi master sal
06-16-2008, 08:58 AM
I "display" my loose collection in big plastic tubs in a storage unit, so it doesn't matter right now...

DarkJedi5
06-16-2008, 09:10 AM
there is also a company called minimagstands.com. they are magnetic plates that pegs so you can pose them in dramatic poses. see the pics attached. the prices reasonable and some of the stuff you can do is amazing

I can vouch for the minimag stands. I live in earthquake country and we had a pair of nice 3.5s the other day. The figures on the mag stands all stayed put while most of the ones using the stands that come with the figures fell. I just need to buy some more minimags....

JediTricks
06-16-2008, 10:23 PM
Although the majority of my figures are freestanding, even here in earthquake country, I did buy a couple Ultarama stands to make a vertical display for about 1/6th of my collection. I like the way the peg system works, it ensures less chance of breakage, yet the figure is standing on a flat surface unlike a separate stand.

Mainly, I just fidget with the figure until it stands on a flat surface, then move it into the display. Usually it requires a very slight bending at the waist, so I just push down on the figure and move it until it finds its center.

Luuuuuuke
06-19-2008, 03:37 PM
I have a black metallic shelf and right now I pretty much display clones and storm troopers, etc. That takes up four levels of the shelf (it's not that big a shelf, but still, that's more than 200 figures). Some have stands, but others stand alright just on their feet.

I don't have room for other figures, let alone my Lord of the Rings figures (which are actually harder to keep up without stands, or without leaning them against each other).

Jargo
06-21-2008, 11:48 AM
I have two shelves right now, one for Jabba's throne room and one for the cantina. I covered mounting board with sticky backed plastic and used a small amount of a proprietry bransd of poster tack stuff on the figure's feet. most figures stand ok like that but there's the odd one where the sculpt has warped in the molding process, like the cantina band members, that just refuse to stand up. The rebo band dancers always fal over too.
I don't like figure stands. it turns the toys into statues to my mind. I want them to look as close to natural as you can get. so for now i have a few figures i'm forever standing up and leaning against other figures in the hope they'll stay put.

anything other than those two scenes is all in my loft space in boxes.

Neuroleptic
06-24-2008, 05:17 PM
I currently display my figures on public display at the local bank here in town. They allow people who collect things to put there collections in it, and the bank owner found out that I collect star wars figures and asked me to display them. I'm happy I did because I have gotten a ton of people on the street who have stopped and asked me about it.

Looks a lot better there than on a book shelf in my room, and I am now bugging my wife to let me get just one display case to put them in.

Blue2th
06-24-2008, 06:07 PM
I currently display my figures on public display at the local bank here in town. They allow people who collect things to put there collections in it, and the bank owner found out that I collect star wars figures and asked me to display them. I'm happy I did because I have gotten a ton of people on the street who have stopped and asked me about it.

Looks a lot better there than on a book shelf in my room, and I am now bugging my wife to let me get just one display case to put them in.
That's cool, you must be proud.

Mine loose figures are in individual baggies, and sorted to which scene or movie they were in, that used to be on my shelves like that, and now put into 45 gallon plastic tubs like Sal.
Due to a relative moving in, I had to take everything out and do that. The room has since been vacant, so they will migrate back in. This time some of them won't make it to the place of honor, due to being replaced by better versions (yeah there were some POTF2's) Plus now I want a GI Joe section, and also a place for my many Action Fleet vehicles that I'm going to break open.
I want to do something with all my Sideshow figures, but I think I want a dust free shelf or case for those. So they are still in their boxes inside the house in my once spacious but not now walk-in closet.

sebillba
06-25-2008, 07:10 AM
I've got two walls of my lounge virtually covered with floor to ceiling custom built glass covered cabinets (I have a very understanding partner!!) - one wall is full of SW figs, the other has three diorama shelves (Cantina/Mos Eisley, Jabba's Palace and Geonosis Arena/Jedi Council) and the others have 12" SW, Action Man, GI Joe (12") and Mego.

The other two walls are also covered in shelving, but these are for cds and dvds.:D

Old Fossil
06-25-2008, 08:33 AM
Five glass shelves mounted to the wall, lined along the wall with carded VOTC, VTSC, VTAC, Concept, and "true" Vintage figures. I, too, use RealStands, as they are inexpensive and do the job well.

Shelf 1: Tatooine (Sandtroopers & Dewback, Jawas, Tuskens & Banthas)
Shelf 2: Imperials
Shelf 3: Streets of Mos Eisley and Chalmun's Cantina
Shelf 4: Clones and Commanders

GI Joe is taking over one of the shelves...

The rest, much like Blue's and Sal's, are in individual plastic bags, sorted by movie, and stored in containers.

TooWanBee
06-27-2008, 12:11 PM
IKEA shelf at work. Astromech droids.