PDA

View Full Version : Selling my Star Wars Collection

SunCrusher
06-16-2008, 09:26 PM
I'm looking to sell my extremely large Star Wars Hasbro toy collection on Ebay, but I'm sure what will net me the most money. I would like to break even on everything I purchased, but I doubt that will be possible. Is it wiser to sell each item individually, in large sets, or in one large auction? And if it is separate smaller sets, what do you recommend? I would hate to get screwed on my net return because I didn't sell the toys as effectively as I could.

Any help would be appreciated.

bigbarada
06-16-2008, 09:43 PM
It depends on what you are selling. If you collection consists of only toys from 1995 to modern times, then I think it's going to be nearly impossible to break even. Most of the POTF2 figures aren't even going to get you 1/3 of what you paid for them (assuming you only paid retail for everything).

If you are selling vintage items, then your best bet is to sell everything individually. I'd only do lots for commons, duplicates or heavily play worn/incomplete figures.

Take your time, space everything out and you can probably break even or possibly show a profit on vintage items.

Blue2th
06-16-2008, 10:08 PM
My experience in trying to get rid of extra figures is go ahead and sell them in lots. Put a few reasonably high-demand figures in the bunch to help sell the crappy ones your not going to get much for anyways.
Anything rare or high demand like say a Sio Bibble or Amidala Acsension or a hard to get Clone etc., or rare Vintage as Big-B says sell individually.
You can check to see what figures are going for what amount of money by checking completed auctions, and check the box that says "highest first" it's time consuming but worth it.

Also any card damaged, go ahead and open. You don't have to worry about those anal mint-on-mint-card-guys, e-mailing you to describe on a scale of one to ten every flaw on the card and bubble :rolleyes: Besides you will be suprised that sometimes a loose figure will sell faster and higher than a carded one (go figure?) Not only that but easy and cheap to ship in a baggie (to keep all the accessories together) then in one of those padded envelopes you can get at Walmart pretty cheap. Usually to ship anywhere in the U.S. for one figure is less than $2.00 USPS First Class. People appreciate that.

And here is some real good ebay advice: Sell internationally! People overseas, Mexico, South America and Canada (though not as much) are starving for Star Wars. One thing I've also learned is if you keep the total weight of the package 4 lbs. or under it is a significant savings for the already high shipping costs, which determines whether or not it is bid on at all, and you can send it USPS First Class International, which cuts the shipping cost in half as opposed to USPS Priority International.

SunCrusher
06-16-2008, 11:38 PM
Excellent advice, thanks.

Do you think it would make more financial sense to wait on selling these toys? I have plenty of POTF2 along with all Episode 1 toys and many of the toys afterwards before Episode 2. Could I break even in 10 years, or is it likely to see the value of these toys drop from here on out?

bigbarada
06-17-2008, 01:30 AM
Excellent advice, thanks.

Do you think it would make more financial sense to wait on selling these toys? I have plenty of POTF2 along with all Episode 1 toys and many of the toys afterwards before Episode 2. Could I break even in 10 years, or is it likely to see the value of these toys drop from here on out?

Just the shear number of collectors keeping all of their figures mint on card pretty much guarantees that the modern lines will never hold much aftermarket value. Nothing on the level of the vintage line that's for sure.

In fact, I've noticed the values of vintage SW toys have been on a sharp decline lately. Which could indicate that, like the comic book market did in the 1990s, the action figure market is crashing. Meaning that soon you might be hard pressed to unload 10 SW figures for $1.

However, if you have all the Ep1 figures, then I'd start selling Sio Bibble and all the other rare figures from the last couple of waves now, before Hasbro has a chance to rerelease them (you might have already missed the boat on TC-14). Those figures might still turn you a profit, if you act quickly, and make up for the money you will lose trying to sell all the other Ep1 figures.

SunCrusher
06-17-2008, 08:03 PM
As sad as this news is, I appreciate it. Thanks for your advice. :)

Blue2th
06-17-2008, 08:37 PM
If you decide to not sell them why not open up a few and display them. Sure they don't have all the super-articulation play value, but some of these have superior likeness than new SA figures. At least the Ep. 1 figures. Especially the heads, before Hasbro decided every figure had to have a ball jointed odd looking head. I like alot of these figures better than some new ones. The old lightsabers that are straight from hilt to tip I prefer also. Instead of the roughness around the hilt ignited look of the new ones.