PDA

View Full Version : That's No Moon, It's A Playset!!!!!!!!!!

Jangu Fett
06-16-2008, 08:30 PM
Lego Death Star playset, this is the hands down most insanely awesome set that TLG has ever done. 21, yes 21 figures, hanger, mini TIE, throne room, check it out.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/dsvelte/10188/10188-0000-xx-13-1.jpg

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/dsvelte/10188/10188-0000-xx-23-1.jpg

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/dsvelte/10188/10188-0000-xx-33-1.jpg

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/dsvelte/10188/10188-0000-xx-33-2.jpg

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/dsvelte/10188/10188-0000-xx-33-3.jpg

LusiferSam
06-16-2008, 11:10 PM
NO WAY! That's freaking awesome! The price has me cringing. 21 mini-figures and the size, I'm guessing it's got to be 2,500 plus pieces. So the price going to be over $200. But my gods what an awesome set. I can't wait to hear more details.

JediTricks
06-16-2008, 11:17 PM
That is freakin' epic! Took 'em long enough! :p Why couldn't they do this sort of thing with Echo Base and some of the other concepts we took to them? Still, this is rad - expensive as hell probably, but rad.

Jangu Fett
06-17-2008, 09:07 AM
I don't know if it's been confirmed or if this is just a rumor, but word is that the DS listing price is $399. If it's true that explains why my wallet hurts, but that is a must have.

Battle Droid
06-17-2008, 12:25 PM
What's up with the white IG-88?

mtriv73
06-17-2008, 01:16 PM
What's up with the white IG-88?

That's the IG droid that integrated itself into the Death Star 2's main computer. It's an EU story from quite a few years ago (I think it was in tales of the bounty hunters.) It's a nice nod to the EU people or just a background figure for the rest of us.

jamesbondo07
06-17-2008, 02:11 PM
That looks awesome. I really like that each chamber has a part in the movie. If it is $400 I will be very reluctant to buy it, However it will really be hard to pass up a set like this especially since they don't have sets this big very often. I will probably decide when I actually see it.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-17-2008, 04:39 PM
When did Luke turn into a girl?

JediTricks
06-17-2008, 10:04 PM
$400 is insane, unthinkably high, not a toy anymore, I can't believe they'd be that foolish.

Yeah, the new Luke ANH wig is silly-looking, what are they thinking?

That's the IG droid that integrated itself into the Death Star 2's main computer. It's an EU story from quite a few years ago (I think it was in tales of the bounty hunters.) It's a nice nod to the EU people or just a background figure for the rest of us.First off, that's IG-88 who merged with the DS2, and second, while I thought that's what they were going for as well, if you notice, the white droid is working on the Death Star Droid in the shot.

LusiferSam
06-17-2008, 10:13 PM
That's the IG droid that integrated itself into the Death Star 2's main computer. It's an EU story from quite a few years ago (I think it was in tales of the bounty hunters.) It's a nice nod to the EU people or just a background figure for the rest of us.

I really hope that's not the case. That EU story convinced me that Kevin J. Anderson was one of the worst Sci Fi writers ever and did more to push me in being anit-EU than nearly anything else.

I seem to remember a photo of the Emperor's arrival that had a number of droids in it. In addition to the black R2 units, like R2-Q5, I thought there were a number of other droids. I don't remember if their were protocol droids or not. My other thought is that it's some kind of ASP worker droid.

Edit: Oh the mini-figure count is wrong. There's 24! Look at top edge of the box. There's two Stormtroopers, Royal Guards and Death Star Troopers, which is a very good thing in my opinion. And this white droid is marked as special. Notice the yellow box out lining it? Mysteries to ponder.

Bosskman
06-18-2008, 04:10 AM
This is mahnificent. And I thought it would be a slow lego year for me.......

DarthQuack
06-18-2008, 05:50 AM
As much as I'd love the other huge DS's, this is the one that would/will suck me in for a few hundred bucks....what's not to love!

jedi master sal
06-18-2008, 07:40 AM
Wow what an awesome set.

I'd love to own it, but if it's more than $200, I'll have to pass on it. I haven't been buying many LEGOs anyway.

But dang, this would just top all other playsets!

Hasbro, are you listening? Are you seeing this???
Time to start developing one for the 3 3/4 line....

Oh and can anyone else now see why an all inclusive Death Star playset for the hasbro line wouldn't be feasible? It HAS to be modular. Sure, they could make it connect somewhat like this LEGO set, but there's no way Hasbro could make a set like this in the action figure scale (and make it affordable).

LusiferSam
06-18-2008, 02:05 PM
I've been thinking about the size and price some more. I'm first guess of 2,500 plus is way to low. Eye balling the set it looks to be about 14 inches tall. This is based on the set looks to be roughly 36 studs tall and Lego bricks are about 1 cm tall. So given that size I'm guess the set it closer to the 3,500 plus mark. Given the number of mini-figure (19 standard and 5 non standard) I wouldn't be a bit surprised if it cost about $400. I saw another rumor on Eurobricks about pre-order in September.

DarkArtist
06-18-2008, 05:38 PM
I so want this set. the price is going to kill me (if not my wife first) but who can pass this up. i will say if this is true and I do get one, I would never take it apart.

OMG Lego I really really really hope this is not a dream.

Neuroleptic
06-18-2008, 07:25 PM
My wife would be shocked to hear this since she thinks I buy everything that ever comes out (wich in her mind means one or two figures a wave if that) but I'm going to pass.

It's expensive being the big one, but also there is absolutly NO way I'd keep my kid from playing with it!

JediTricks
06-19-2008, 05:40 PM
$400 it is, it's officially up, and Sept 16th is the release date. Personally, while I think it looks like a lot of fun, there's no way in hell I can pony up that much cash for ANYTHING.

Battle Droid
06-20-2008, 11:45 PM
I could barely afford the AT-AT, there's no way I'm paying $400 for this, exspecially for Legos.

bemo
06-24-2008, 11:14 PM
I could barely afford the AT-AT, there's no way I'm paying $400 for this, especially for Lego.

I think it is high too but I was in a Lego store today and saw a 10 yr old kid put down $500 in cash for a M. Falcon. This is a cooler set, I would spend $400 on the Dstar before the falcon. I actually think they will sell pretty well for Xmas.

JediTricks
06-24-2008, 11:36 PM
Did that kid have a bow tie and little suit, and a dog with dollar signs all over him instead of spots? ;)

bemo
06-25-2008, 01:20 AM
Did that kid have a bow tie and little suit, and a dog with dollar signs all over him instead of spots? ;) You would think, no it looked like he had been saving his pennys. He had a bag with dollars and coins. But he did tell me I could not pass go or collect 200 dollars, the little bastard.

bobafrett
06-25-2008, 07:49 AM
I would love to have this set, but my wife would kill me. I will just have to bide my time, and wait until I can spot it on clearance. That's the way I got my UCS X-Wing, and UCS TIE Interceptor.

LusiferSam
06-25-2008, 11:58 AM
My eyeball estimates weren't too bad. I said about 14" tall and Lego lists 16" tall, that not too bad at all. As for the price, yes it's high, but this is a big set with a lot of mini-figures. The number of mini-figures tends to drive the price up faster then the number of bricks. The price per brick is 10.5, which is higher than the current average, 9.5. But is much better than the pure mini-figures sets or chess sets, which can run into the 37 per brick range.

I have two schools of thought in terms of buying this set (which I will do). First is to bit the bullet and buy it now. Second it is to wait on hope to buy it on sale. The danger with the second is missing the set. I've try this a couple of times and have gotten burned. And there's a couple times I've missing some killer deals by buying early.

I'm incline to buy it now. I've had about 4 other sets I was planning on buying this summer. The total price on those $490. One has to be an eBay purchase because the set was discontinued. The others were S@H sets. If I buy the Death Star I'm well within my "budget" and could buy the eBay set. Decisions, decisions. Four sets I don't have room for or two set I don't have room for.

JediTricks
06-25-2008, 05:35 PM
You would think, no it looked like he had been saving his pennys. He had a bag with dollars and coins. But he did tell me I could not pass go or collect 200 dollars, the little bastard.See, it only takes a couple folks like you rolling triple doubles and then he's got your $200 since you missed out!

I can't imagine a kid ever saving $500, that's a pretty impressive feat. And to be honest, a kid going after the UCS Falcon is making a way better choice than this Death Star, the Falcon is much bigger and far more exciting to look at.

LusiferSam
07-08-2008, 11:37 PM
Ok say what you will, but I pre-ordered the darn thing today. All my reminding will power not too failed once I looked through the new S@H catalog. Now I just have the two months or so for it ship.

LusiferSam
09-15-2008, 07:18 PM
I just found a very large and heavy box on my door step, you know what that means. I'll post more later.

LusiferSam
09-16-2008, 12:02 PM
Ok. First off I'm not super impressed with how this was shipped, I'm not a fan of boxes filled with boxes. There was the first larger UPS shipping box filled with airpacks, fliers, invoice, and another box. That box was just a brown box with the Lego logo and was little more than just a sleeve. Than there was the main Lego box.

It's a big box, on par with the UCS Death Star box. It's dived up into four smaller plain white boxes. It's very reminiscent of Mos Espa Podracers (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/7171). This a great idea because it keeps stuff well packed and not sloshing around in an over sized box. The smaller boxes are packed pretty full. This isn't a tiny set by an stretch.

The instructions are spiral bound and also large. This is great because it's a lot sturdier than the stapled multibook instructions. There's around 140 steps with a large number sub-assemblies and about 270 pages.

I'm about 3 and half hours into this now. The first two hours were just opening and sorting the nearly 4,000 pieces. There's no numbered bags of sub-assemblies here. It's one big pile. I've tried really hard to group things in a manner so they'll be easy to find. So similar parts are by each other, in a way that makes sense to me. Hopefully this will cut down the time I spend looking for parts.

The basement's done and now I'm working on the first floor. I made two minor mistakes last night, but caught them early on. Well I keep you up dated as I build when I can.

Slicker
09-20-2008, 10:32 AM
This set is definitely rather sweet looking. It's a really good idea and hopefully it'll catch on (although I wish they would've went with a smaller set (i.e. like the Cloud City one) to kinda ease people into the idea of playsets...).

When did Luke turn into a girl?Ummm...have you never seen ANH? :p