PDA

View Full Version : The New V-wing Appreciation Thread

Tycho
06-17-2008, 05:42 PM
I was playing with my V-wing this morning and still am quite pleased with how this vehicle turned out. I have to say, I think I like it better than the Jedi Starfighters (the E3 ones being my preference there).

But looking at all the fighter craft we've gotten made into toys from the Star Wars movies, I have to say that the V-wing really stands up well.

Others might be the 1995 X-wing (I like it) and Darth Vader's TIE Fighter.

Firing missiles are a favored feature for me, and as such I of course appreciate Jango's Slave-One.

I also like flying vehicles, or the Hailfire Droid would have just automatically taken the crown.

Electronic features are cool though and the '95 X-wing was a lot of fun. I really don't understand why after all these years (13 years darn-it!) we haven't gotten a TIE Fighter with electronic sounds in it and that signature Ben Burt engine roar sound!

A TIE Interceptor with firing missiles, ejecting wings, and a sound chip would just ROCK!

I do think I want to get my Jedi Starfighters (E3) out of storage. The ARC 170 is also still a good ship!

Battle Droid
06-17-2008, 05:51 PM
I'm still waiting for them to make the Imperial version.:D

Tycho
06-17-2008, 06:11 PM
I guess that would be all-gray? I didn't notice if that's how they appeared in the film - or if both colorations appeared.

There were two scenes with V-wing flybyes: with Palpatine's shuttle carrying the wounded body of Darth Vader back to the medical facilities on Coruscant, and at the end of the picture, patrolling the construction of the first Death Star.

That might be the use of the red and then the gray V-wings right there, but I can't say I ever remember to notice.

The most obvious thing to me is that the solar panels do not fold right on the toy's design. The lower panel should rotate BEHIND the ship, not under the upper wing. The whole landing sequence of the ship kind of reminded me of a grasshoper folding its legs or something after it jumps. The toy is really cool but doesn't even try to achieve this. I see Hasbro's motivation there being that it could incoporate static, non-positionable landing gear on the lower wing by doing it this way. Nickels and dimes...OK, well maybe dollars.

But the V-wing is still darn cool even though I think it has the greatest inaccuracy out of most of the ships right there.

pegger
06-19-2008, 05:12 PM
My only complaint is it's a smidge too small - and the droid should be removeable.

DarkArtist
06-21-2008, 05:23 PM
while I agree that the V-Wing is a great ship and would love to see a TIE Interceptor (like the one Tycho mentioned) i would also love to see the V-Wing from the EU (Rogue Squadron).

obi-dad
06-26-2008, 01:29 PM
We really need a new V-wing with a big red Imperial insignia on the wings and then charge $50 and sell it as an exclussive with a figure!

bkh0501
06-27-2008, 06:40 PM
lol, that's funny

jjreason
06-30-2008, 01:56 PM
I looked at my v-wing the other day, and it pretty much caused me to decide to sell the vast majority of my prequel vehicles. I'm frustrated with the scale issues more than anything - I just can't believe they'd make a special tiny r2 unit for the v-wing instead of gluing a regular one on there. The ARC 170 was a pretty good ship as well, but when I compared it to my gunship and saw that it was bigger - I just couldn't have them out for display together any longer. I might even get rid of my gunship - and to me it's the crown jewel of the Hasbro prequel vehicles.

x13squadleader
07-02-2008, 03:32 PM
i just have a small question about the v-wing.the wings are always different in all the pics i see which ones are right?

JediTricks
07-02-2008, 06:34 PM
None of those are right. Hasbro's photo-minions aren't familiar enough with the vehicle to properly pose it. The wings are either displayed open like that red Titanium version but with the lower wings also open, or closed but rotated forwards unlike that gray version. The 3.75" figure line's vehicle can ONLY do those 2 versions.

I looked at my v-wing the other day, and it pretty much caused me to decide to sell the vast majority of my prequel vehicles. I'm frustrated with the scale issues more than anything - I just can't believe they'd make a special tiny r2 unit for the v-wing instead of gluing a regular one on there. The ARC 170 was a pretty good ship as well, but when I compared it to my gunship and saw that it was bigger - I just couldn't have them out for display together any longer. I might even get rid of my gunship - and to me it's the crown jewel of the Hasbro prequel vehicles.Yeah, that's totally "reason"able. :crazed: It's around a 15% difference from the dedicated droid to the regular figure one, doesn't bother me because most vehicles are underscaled, and it's not like we got a good look at the vehicle in the movie anyway.

jjreason
07-05-2008, 08:36 AM
I had a knee jerk reaction. What can I say? lol

JediTricks
07-06-2008, 06:04 PM
Say no to selling off SW toys prematurely! :p

OC47150
07-06-2008, 08:10 PM
It's a sweet ship. I have a little diorama involving the V-wing sitting on the coffee table.

The black ROTS clone pilot looks real good sitting in the cockpit.

Tycho
07-06-2008, 10:02 PM
It's a sweet ship. I have a little diorama involving the V-wing sitting on the coffee table.

The black ROTS clone pilot looks real good sitting in the cockpit.

Yes he does. I use the black ROTS pilots, too.

I got the AT-AP and Grievous' Fighter, plan on the V-19 and Homing Spider, but when you look at all that, the V-wing is more fun to play with and a more satisfying paint job and over-all purchase.

It is off-scale (or the droid is anyway) and the wings don't mirror the movie correctly, but it's still more likeable than a lot of stuff we've gotten (or are getting) so it's got "this thread on SSG." But flying ships are more fun than walkers since you can dive bomb and maneuver intricately. And while we don't even have the V-19 until later this month, you can see from all the pictures that the V-wing is painted better. And it moves its wings, fires missiles, has more detail etc. than the V-19, which is also far more than Grievous' ship which was never seen being flown by Grievous and only briefly used by Obi-Wan during the movie.

The V-wing's just more fun and it's smaller and easier to maneuver than the Gunship or ARC-170 - which are also great vehicles.

I also think the V-wing is more detailed than the Jedi Starfighters - and 4 missiles are better than 2. :thumbsup: Plus the V-wing's just a little bit bigger - but not awkward bigger like the Gunship.

I just like the V-wing. I think I covered all the reasons.

Jedi_Kal-El
07-09-2008, 09:02 PM
There's a repaint coming in the CW line. Take a look. Props to Rebelscum on the photos.

http://www.rebelscum.com/photo.asp?image=http://www.rebelscum.com/toys2008/DSCN3422.jpg

JediTricks
07-10-2008, 02:12 AM
I don't think that's a repaint, but the original scheme.

Tycho
07-10-2008, 02:44 AM
That back-of-the-box picture helps make the case that Anakin and Obi-Wan's Jedi Starfighters are still cool designs (and they are) but the V-wing certainly does still look the coolest, even in that company!

The prequels saw a lot of that size/class of vehicle and the V-wing does really well amongst them:

N-1
AAT Tank
Droid Fighters
AOTC Jedi Starfighter
Geonosian Fighter
Hailfire Droid
ROTS Jedi Starfighter
Droid Tri-Fighter
Grievous' Wheelbike
AT-AP
Grievous' Fighter
Sith Infiltrator (shouldn't have been issued in this size)
V-wing
V-19 Torrent
Homing Spider Droid

I think the V-wing really stands out well in this collection.

Neuroleptic
09-15-2008, 08:25 PM
I know I'm a little late to the party on this one. I wound up picking this thing up on a whim after returning a fishing rod to Wal Mart that I won at a drawing from work . . . two years ago.

So anyway, I had 20 bucks and thought, "Gee wiz, what can I do with this?" So naturaly I went to the star wars toy section and looked at stuff that I would normaly have passed on. The V wing being top of the list on want but won't buy.

I LOVE THIS THING! I gotta say to anyone on the fence about buying this thing, get off, and go buy it before it's gone.

Sure, the built in Astromech is small (and I could live with that, except the 'eye' is sculpted kinda badly) . . . but aside for that, there really aren't any gripes I have. I havn't studdied it as closely as say, the B-wing or the Y-wing, so to me it is preaty darn accurate.

It requires some asembly, and with a two year old helping you biuld it, it makes the instructions a bit more complicated, but I got it working.

So my clone pilot from the storm trooper's evolutions set finaly has something to pilot. And to think, I nearly sold him on e-bay.

EDIT: Also, after writing this, I found out that the wing sections can be pulled away to reveal more missle launchers. Granted, these are molded in and can't be launched, and aren't painted, but it's still a cool little feature, just the same!

DOUBLE EDIT: Yeah, it's safe to say this thing is probably my favorite vehicle purchase in a long time, and easily my favorite prequil vehicle ever.

Ando
09-16-2008, 05:31 PM
This is definitely a neat fighter. I got mine last year when they first came out along with the Sith Infiltrator and even though the V Wing isn't a pretty ship, it's got one of the cooler spring open wing/play features in the line.

I have 4 of them and like Tycho and OC47150, I use the black ROTS Clone Pilot with it.

I should dig all of mine out of storage and set them up this weekend while the wife has to work late Friday and Saturday.