PDA

View Full Version : How many miles do you drive from home, to work and back home on an average day?

JEDIpartner
06-20-2008, 09:28 AM
Since I've always been a bit "petrol stingy", I try to walk as much as possible since I live in an area where everything is pretty accessible by foot. When I drive, I try to make my route as sensible as possible.

I leave the house at 5:30 each morning, head for the gym and from there, I sometimes stop at the supermarket across the street. I head to work and then back home at 5pm. My roundtrip each day is 35 miles/56km. I used to have to drive all the way across town and that was a roundtrip of 56 miles/90km each day! Ridiculous!!!!

bigbarada
06-20-2008, 10:41 AM
I work from my apartment, so I only need to drive somewhere when it's time to buy new supplies. While it saves me a ton of money on gas, I really would rather have an office somewhere. It's really difficult to keep your work and home life separate when you work out of your home.

jedi master sal
06-20-2008, 11:45 AM
Well I ride in with my fiancee. It's 8.5 miles to my work. From there she drives another 9.5 miles to her work. So 18 miles each way, for the total of 36 per day.

On days that we do a toy run, add an additional 4 miles. I've got that one down to a science so that we do a tight loop and don't backtrack at all.

Beyond this we do not drive all that much anymore. If we need to shop on the weekends, it's the the same shopping area that the toy run is in, so we kill two birds with one stone that ay as well.

I'm loathing the idea of going up to her brother's for the 4th. It's going to cost us $100 roundtrip for gas! He better grill up some mean burgers and hot dogs! heh heh.

TeeEye7
06-20-2008, 11:53 AM
My commute is 10 miles each way. The kicker is, I work a graveyard shift (for 14 years and counting) and there's no hope of carpooling given my hours and location in town.

Errands on my days off are consolidated or put off until there's a good reason to go out and about.

jamesbondo07
06-20-2008, 12:04 PM
I probably have the longest travel distance to work. I drive 65 miles one way so 130 miles a day.

JEDIpartner
06-20-2008, 12:19 PM
Man, that's a gigantic commute-- and carbon footprint! I hope you have a sensible vehicle and not something like an SUV. YEESH!!!

jamesbondo07
06-20-2008, 12:22 PM
no SUV I am going to use my current car for the next year but I am going to save for a hybrid next year.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-20-2008, 12:23 PM
I have been extremely lucky, in that I am exactly five miles from the school, so it's ten round trip. I've had my car for just over three years, and I hit 17,000 miles about three months ago. :pleased: Having no life outside of work has been beneficial in these high costs of living days. :sad:

CaptainSolo1138
06-20-2008, 01:04 PM
I drive maybe 5 minutes each way, costing me ~$15 every two weeks in gas. What I save is used up three fold by Mrs. Solo who commutes about 50 miles each way four days a week.

DarthQuack
06-20-2008, 01:30 PM
3.1 miles each way for me to work which is nice...

Jargo
06-20-2008, 01:54 PM
I personally don't own a car. my partner is the owner and driver. it's his carbon footprint not mine.
I don't really work. I'm a kind of unofficial care worker to my partner. so i sit at home doing what everyone else normally only gets to do at weekends, chilling and relaxing and taking my time to do everything with no hurry and no stress.
i would say at most I walk five yards to get to my 'job'.

have to say though that every day to me feels like a wednesday. which is the trade off for having a such an easy life. i have to endure a lifetime of wednesday.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-20-2008, 03:53 PM
Since we have international posters here, maybe I should say I have an 8.06 km drive (16.15 km round trip).

jedi master sal
06-20-2008, 04:06 PM
3.1 miles each way for me to work which is nice...

Man, I wish I lived that close to work (and the terrain was flat). I'd bike it every day. (And by that I mean bicycle, not motorcycle...)

Bel-Cam Jos
06-20-2008, 05:27 PM
Man, I wish I lived that close to work (and the terrain was flat). I'd bike it every day. (And by that I mean bicycle, not motorcycle...)There's a school site within that mileage near me, in the same district, and I have been quite tempted to work there for that very reason. But I like where I am, and five miles ain't too bad at all. :thumbsup:

Jargo
06-20-2008, 05:57 PM
I still haven't figured out the metric system even though it came in like 30 years ago or longer. I still use miles and yards and inches. Imperial measures are so much easier to remember.

JetsAndHeels
06-20-2008, 06:02 PM
School is about 5-6 miles from my apartment, but there is a big road widening project going on. I take a road that goes around that, so it extends my commute to about 15 minutes one way.

InsaneJediGirl
06-20-2008, 08:22 PM
To work I go about 15 miles each way. For school, I have to drive 30 miles each way, which was killing me going four days a week(even in a car!).

El Chuxter
06-20-2008, 10:04 PM
133 miles each way. It sucks.

Mad Slanted Powers
06-20-2008, 10:47 PM
I'm less than 2 miles from where I work, so that is less than 4 miles a day during the week. Fred Meyer is near my house, so if I need groceries, I can stop there on the way home and not add distance. Saturday I drive to the other side of town to check Wal-Mart and Target. Round trip that is probably less than 20 miles. I only refuel my tank about once a month.

Living outside of town like that, my parents have always tried to plan trips to town rather than just going in whenever they needed something. Mom would usually start at one side of town and then work her way to the other. Where we started and where we finished might depend on whether we bought cold items. Don't want that ice cream to melt before we get home.

LusiferSam
06-20-2008, 11:32 PM
Since we have international posters here, maybe I should say I have an 8.06 km drive (16.15 km round trip).

No, screw 'em. I know how to convert kilometers to miles, as should any US school student born after about 1968. After we are converting to the metric system in the next 10 years any way. ;) Let them figure it out on their own (or our own it's posted in km).

I don't have clue how far I drive each day. Monday I'll check it. I think it's around 30 around trip, but again I don't have a clue.

2-1B
06-22-2008, 11:54 AM
4.5 miles to work, not bad at all.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
06-22-2008, 07:59 PM
1.3 miles to work, and I would bike travel if I didn't carry about 10 pounds of books/papers/supplies or so with me.

The weekend is my major gas guzzling time because all of the good hotspots are about 20 miles away or so. As a designated driver, I usually end up driving the small circle of friends home after their stupors. I get free drinks in return from them. We make it a habit to go out on both Friday and Saturday nights.

I also drive once a week to a weekly course offered at a college in Buffalo that tacks on almost 70 miles.

Mad Slanted Powers
06-22-2008, 08:46 PM
Yes, I'm close enough to walk as well, but I'd have to get up a half hour earlier, and I'd work up a bit of a sweat by the time I get there. I did that Saturday when we had our big tent sale. We couldn't park at work, and instead had to drive to a place where they shuttled us. Easier to just walk and not have to worry about that. On a regular day I wouldn't want to feel like that since I'm wearing a button up shirt with a tie in a professional office environment. Plus, I normally wear the same pants to work for two days. If I walked, I wouldn't wear them a second day, and I'd waste more water and energy on laundry. Biking wouldn't be an option either, because if it is wet out (which it often is here), the bike will spray that stuff up my legs or back.

JEDIpartner
06-23-2008, 10:20 PM
133 miles each way. It sucks.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

UKWildcat
06-23-2008, 10:47 PM
My commute is about 13-16 miles each way, depending on which route I take. Not too bad.

timmae
06-23-2008, 11:23 PM
4.5 to work. justifies the lower pay. each target or walmart is at least 12 miles each way. i've cut down the toy runs a lot too.

El Chuxter
06-24-2008, 01:43 AM
I lie! I work from home!

JEDIpartner
06-24-2008, 12:58 PM
I lie! I work from home!

:whip: :whip: :whip:

Mad Slanted Powers
06-24-2008, 07:26 PM
I lie! I work from home!

You should drive around the block so that it feels more like you are going to work.

bobafrett
06-24-2008, 11:30 PM
It'a about three miles to Wal-Mart, where I work. I thought about riding my bike there, to both get in shape, and save on gas. Several days though however, I head straight from Wal-Mart to the Pizza Ria, where I need my car to get the pizza orders delivered in a timely manner.

It's about 2 1/2 miles, maybe less, from my house to the pizza ria.