PDA

View Full Version : About Midnight Madness.......

jedimastergeorge06
06-22-2008, 11:51 AM
Im not sure if this has been asked yet but...what would be a good time to get in line or start a line for the midnight madness release? If there is one.

I know that im probably going to start a line or get in line between 930 pm and 1030 pm. Thats at toysrus if they decide to do it in wich i think they will but if walmart decides to do it...my walmart is 24 hours supercenter so i wont have to wait out side i can just walk in and wait around the toy isle for them to set up...thats what i did back in 2005...i just stood there watching and waiting.
But back then my walmart and toysrus both had a midnight madness at the same time..so ill more than likely go to toysrus this time around....its been since episode one that have gone to toysrus for midnight madness.

And toysrus will probably have more than walmart will. Knowing that my main priority is the falcon. Toysrus will have a bunch of them. Plus when walmart gets new stuff in like the incredible hulk or iron man they dont have a very good selection and they like to split every thing up to.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-22-2008, 02:10 PM
Well, you should probably call the day before just to be sure that they're doing it. If they are, you may as well drive there a few hours early and see if there's a line or not and go from there.

JetsAndHeels
06-22-2008, 02:10 PM
Well, you should probably call the day before just to be sure that they're doing it.

That would be a good idea. How much would it suck to wait there for a few hours only to find out they are not doing a midnight opening? :)

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-22-2008, 02:18 PM
That would be a good idea. How much would it suck to wait there for a few hours only to find out they are not doing a midnight opening? :)
Well, then you'd be first in line for when they open the next morning. :D

JetsAndHeels
06-22-2008, 02:27 PM
Well, then you'd be first in line for when they open the next morning. :D

True, but I would not want to spend the night in a TRU parking lot.

The main thing I am getting 7/26 is the Falcon. I will get wherever I am going by opening time that morning.

DarthQuack
06-22-2008, 02:33 PM
Yea, I'll worry about the falcon first...get the big one outta the way....I hope WM or TRU has a midnight release...I had a fun time last time I went to one, and since it was a 24 hour Wal-Mart, I should be in luck.

El Chuxter
06-22-2008, 03:36 PM
Truth be told, I think a lot of people are overestimating the draw of a midnight sale this time. I doubt any of the places doing such sales will have large crowds. We've learned from three previous SW movies that nothing released on the first day is hard to find, the amount of product released this time is considerably smaller than the actual movie releases, and interest in The Fake Clone Wars seems to be much lower than Lucasfilm would like it to be.

The only thing that might be hard to find, at least initially, is the Falcon. I doubt stores order many of those upfront. However, it's supposed to be shipping for at least the rest of 2008.

Well, unless you want those "First Day!" stickers. :rolleyes:

JEDIpartner
06-22-2008, 03:48 PM
I'd honestly be surprised if they did do this.

DarkArtist
06-22-2008, 07:28 PM
the last 3 times I went to midnight madness I got to the TRU around 11:30 and was about the 10th person in line.

i do agree with everyone that you should call before going. if you decide to go earlier I recommend bringing some form of entertainment to keep you occupied.

jedimastergeorge06
06-22-2008, 09:26 PM
Yeah but i really do think that it depends on where you live....how many fans there are in your area. Where i live theres alot of fans and i mean alot and i kinda also think there will be more fans that will be in line this year all because of the at-te and the falcon but more of the falcon.

Just like i said before my first priority is the falcon just like alot of fans. And my second priority is the at-te and third is the legacy figures and last will be the clone wars figures. The big guys are the ones that are going to bring people into the stores cause if the falcon and the atte wasnt going to be released then this whole thing wouldnt be as big as it is. Thats my opinion. And i hope there will be a midnight madness so that every one will get a fair chance at the big guns cause if there isnt and the stores just release them when ever they want then there will be people who has all the time to go hunting the store every day all week who will get them before the ones who has to work in the mornings and who dont have a big chance like that. I hope that made sense. But i can see toysrus doing it before walmart.But i can see my toysrus doing it in my area. I have a feeling that they will.

jedi master sal
06-23-2008, 10:00 AM
Well I'm a nut ball when it comes to Midnight Madness.

I show up EARLY.

For TPM I was at my TRU at 6pm. That I can recall this was on a Sunday, so it was just as the store was closing. My fiancee and I just waited there for awhile. Next person didn't show up until 7:30-8. The next at 9pm, then that's when people started trickling in more. Of course I was first in line and maintained order by starting a line list. (This way people who needed to take a potty break at the Pizza Hut next door could do so without worry of jumping in or out of line and losing their spot.) Only thing I didn't get that night that I wanted was the 12 inch Maul (which I ended up getting free from a friend of mine a few years later)

For AOTC, I was at Wal*Mart at 8pm. Next person was there at 9pm, the next at 9:30, then the crowd started to gather. Again I was first in line. This was easier to do as it was inside and we got folding chairs to sit on right there at the action figure aisle and just watched the shoppers as they went by or the workers as they were setting up. We didn't cause trouble and the management knew why we were there (and when I showed them my list of what I was getting and that the total was around $600-700 they didn't have a problem with us just sitting there.) Only thing I didn't get that night was Dooku. Anyone else recall him being the HTF fig back then, heh heh.

For ROTS it was 9pm. Again first in line. Similar to the AOTC MM. But this time I brougth not only my fiancee but her sister and her sister's fiancee. I had her sister just watch the cart, while the three of us scoured the pegs when the time came. I got everything I wanted.

Since this is in all likelyhood the last big toy release (I can't see the live action show doing this), I'm trying to make it something special with my local TRU. I've got a few friends in the 501st and if they as well as TRU agree they'll be in armor and I'll be in Jedi Robes. I've already started talks with the store and while the manager is receptive, he has to get approval from higher up. I told him what I planned on buying that night. He did say he couldn't guarantee me that I'd be able to get all of it, but he will see. I'll have me fiancee there though to help me out.
If this doesn't pan out, and TRU doesn't have a MM, then I'll either go to WM for some of the stuff (and arrive at 9pm), then go to TRU the next morning for the big stuff. I save money on gas by buying gift cards through my local grocery store and TRU is one of those places I get gift cards for. So if all goes planned, I'll be getting a good bit off a tank of gas with all of the gift cards I plan on getting. I'm planning on spending $500, but will have between $700-800 just in case I opt to buy more than initially planned for.

So, to boil all that down, I'll be at either TRU or WM at about 9pm...

-Sal

JEDIpartner
06-23-2008, 10:21 AM
Jedi Drew and I went to the "Midnight Madness" for ROTS at the Wal*Mart in Macedonia and there were only about 5 other people besides us there.

obi-dad
06-23-2008, 01:41 PM
Around St. Louis, (in the past) the TRU's have been crazy and WalMart pretty easy to navigate. I'm not sure. I know I'm getting the Falcon at Target the next day since I have about $100 in gift cards, but I plan to buy my figures (Legacy only) that night.... it's a big pass for me on the Clone Wars figures and vehicles.

JEDIpartner
06-23-2008, 01:58 PM
Around St. Louis, (in the past) the TRU's have been crazy and WalMart pretty easy to navigate. I'm not sure. I know I'm getting the Falcon at Target the next day since I have about $100 in gift cards, but I plan to buy my figures (Legacy only) that night.... it's a big pass for me on the Clone Wars figures and vehicles.

I'm going to Target on Saturday morning and hoping for the best. It's right down the street from my house, so... :( (worried)

obi-dad
06-24-2008, 01:45 PM
I'm going to Target on Saturday morning and hoping for the best. It's right down the street from my house, so... :( (worried)

That's what I am planning as well.... I think (hope) there won't be long lines Saturday morning at Targets, since I'm hoping everyone with a real desire to get them early will show up Saturday night at TRUs & WalMarts.

Tycho
06-24-2008, 04:21 PM
I may not go at all. I might go. I don't know.

For E3, showing up at noon for a 12-hour wait made me and my friends party to the first 5 in the door for Midnite Madness at Toys R Us.

Because of Comic Con and my committment to dialysis, I wouldn't be able to get there until probably 7pm this time. I get out of the clinic by 6 and then I have to eat almost immediately as dialysis makes you hungry.

I could always bring take-out to TRU, but I'd rather not, and make myself comfortable for dinner after putting up with my treatment and a busy day.

Besides that, coming to dialysis only just following the couple of hours I'll get to spend at Comic Con, I might just want to eat and then go home and sleep after my treatment. Following a long nap, maybe I'll wake up and head over to TRU. I can't believe it will be THAT crazy, as there's no "real" movie coming out for Star Wars.

But if I don't get a Falcon on 7-26, I'm sure I will get one by 8-1 or something, and my AT-TEs and such. That's all fine with me. In fact it might be fun to have a few things to hunt down, as if I get it all on 7-26, I'll spend like $700 and then have no reason to go back into a toy store for too long of time! I think part of the fun to be had in the hobby is in shopping, socializing in the Hasbro isle, etc. That just hasn't happened for quite a long time now.

If I go to MM and don't wind up getting anything, I'll still be able to enjoy that aspect of it. SirSteve, Grand Admiral Thrawn, and I were in Denver for MM-1 as they had it during the very first Star Wars Celebration. I went in almost dead-last, and instead of planning to buy anything, I just enjoyed talking with all the fans. It probably won't be as crowded for this event by a long-shot, but it could be fun even if I get there late after sleeping some.