PDA

View Full Version : George Carlin passes away at age 71

UKWildcat
06-23-2008, 01:41 AM
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,370121,00.html

:cry:

This is very saddening news. He was one of my favorites. A comedic genius, and now a legend. He will be missed greatly, but his work will live on forever!

Mad Slanted Powers
06-23-2008, 01:57 AM
One of my favorites as well. The Book Club, Wonderful WINO Radio, The Indian Sergeant, Baseball vs. Football, and all of his hilarious observations on language.

Kidhuman
06-23-2008, 06:50 AM
One of the greatest, if the the greatest comedic minds has passed away. May he RIP. :cry:

El Chuxter
06-23-2008, 09:19 AM
Very sad. I had the opportunity to see him a couple of years ago, and he was still at the top of his game. He was starting to show his age (finally) in his latest HBO special, but still seemed to be in fairly good health.

He was the closest thing to Mark Twain we've had in our lifetimes... except maybe for Kurt Vonnegut.

:cry:

CaptainSolo1138
06-23-2008, 09:32 AM
I absolutely loved George Carlin. He was filthy and crude, but not simply for the sake of being filthy and crude. Another thing I liked about Carlin was his ability to get up and do a "comedy" routine and not tell a single joke. His commentary was so unique that people who had come to see him tell jokes and swear shut up and listened to him talk about God or politics for fifteen minutes.

I was listening to an interview with him on XM 150 a month or so ago and it was nothing but him doing a Q&A but it was still hilarious.

God bless, George. You'll be missed.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
06-23-2008, 09:58 AM
He was a great comedian and I loved watching his stuff. May his RIP. :sleeping:

JEDIpartner
06-23-2008, 10:22 AM
I'm very sad. He was a brilliant observer and commentator on life and human behaviour. His comedy had a point; something that is missing in most comedians these days.

DarthQuack
06-23-2008, 10:35 AM
He was #3 after Russert and Winston :(

Blue2th
06-23-2008, 11:33 AM
Bummer! I'm sure if he was looking down on himself in passing he would have something crudely funny to say about it.
RIP GC.

Old Fossil
06-23-2008, 01:05 PM
I saw him do his routine about 20 years ago at the University of Southern Mississippi. I remember was that he was very animated, all over the stage, always moving!

Leon Redbone opened for him. It was a cool show.

pegger
06-23-2008, 02:45 PM
I'm very sad. He was a brilliant observer and commentator on life and human behaviour. His comedy had a point; something that is missing in most comedians these days.

Amen brother.

jedi master sal
06-23-2008, 02:53 PM
I saw him do his routine about 20 years ago at the University of Southern Mississippi. I remember was that he was very animated, all over the stage, always moving!

Leon Redbone opened for him. It was a cool show.

Carlin AND Redbone, lucky sonofa..

Him being animated on stage is tyical. Possible he was hyped up on something too, heh heh.

But seriously, even if he was hyped up, his points came across quite well.

Apparently when he did the first Saturday Night Live show, he was high on cocaine.

I'm sure the "establishment" isn't sad about his passing. But I'll miss him. I enjoyed his stuff. I used to sneak down to the living room on Saturday mornings to listen to his records when I was too young to be listening to his stuff... good times.

Blue2th
06-23-2008, 04:15 PM
I'm sure the "establishment" isn't sad about his passing.
Yeah, Liberals and Conservatives...nobody got a break. He spelled it out like it is.

Lazer Brain
06-23-2008, 05:55 PM
may he rest, he was a great act. I saw him here in san antionio on his last tour thru here, it was very funny. he will be missed.
later

sith_killer_99
06-23-2008, 08:45 PM
When SNL season 1 first came out on itunes I downloaded the first episode just to see him as the first ever host!

His work truly progressed over the years and he found his cause, the 7 words, back in the 70's/80's he left an indelible mark on modern society. He will forever be a legend in comedy and he will truly be missed by many.

I wish I had been able to see him live. My wife and I are both fans and we have many of his books as well as many of his video performances.

As for the "establishment" **** 'em! As George Carlin would say "****, ****, ****, ****, C*cks*cker, Mother****er, ****......Fart, Turd, Tw*t".

Not too many comedians can say they, or their material, were the subject of a Supreme Court decision.:yes:

Rest is peace, George Carlin.

JimJamBonds
06-23-2008, 09:03 PM
I was shocked to hear today that he died. I knew he was old (he mentioned hitting the 70 in his last HBO special last year. I plan on dusting off my box set called "The Little David Years" that has material from the 70's and early 80's. If I had a pair of New Balance shoes I'd wear them tomorrow to go along with my all black attire that became his trademark.

I pulled this from a blog site (With Leather) I think its pretty much dead on correct.

Carlin wasn't just some ****ed-off guy ranting about *******'*; he was a ****ed-off guy with wit and a gift for identifying and exploiting subtle hiccups in the English language... who happened to rant about ^^^^^^^'^. Hacks like me may find inspiration in his voice, but we'll always be small in his shadow.

2-1B
06-24-2008, 08:14 PM
I loved his stuff, listened to his CDs often and saw him live twice. Nobody could talk about v*ginal farts and snappers like he could. :cry:

JediTricks
06-24-2008, 10:59 PM
Carlin was one of the best comedians of all time, and wasn't afraid to wear his heart on his sleeve, even when it was offensive to everybody. I was utterly stunned to learn that he had died, even though he had done tons of coke in the '80s and was addicted to painkillers only a few years ago, plus he had a few heart attacks and he was 71 years old, yet none of that seemed to stop him or even slow him down, so I just felt like he was going to keep going for a while longer. His voice will never truly die, we have decades of his material to keep us laughing and thinking. His is a true loss to the fabric of our society.

Jedi_Kal-El
06-25-2008, 12:32 PM
He called it like he saw it, and saw it like he called it. May he rest in peace.

mabudonicus
06-25-2008, 12:34 PM
A friend of mine worked with him back when he (my buddy) was doing comedy in the 80's. He didn't get a chance to tell him the story of how in the 70's George's material got him fired from a college radio DJ job cos he actually played the "7 words" sketch and the WRONG folks heard it

I was also a victim of his genius as I listened to his material a LOt and started kind of thinking like the guy- I would forget and sometimes utter particularly bad choices of words a LOT thanks to how damn charismatic and hilarious the dude was.

Sad he had to go but what a huge legacy he built, he'll be fondly remembered
:beard: Iso&Baws

RIP

jedi master sal
06-25-2008, 01:12 PM
In honor of Carlin, Saturday Night Live is showing the FIRST show. Carlin was the first host ever of SNL. Some say it was this genius choice that gave SNL the legs to start off on.

This will be a very special show to watch.

I hope everyone tunes in. I can't recall any other time it's been shown and in it's entirety beyond the very first time. Possibly this won't be seen again.

UKWildcat
06-25-2008, 03:02 PM
When is this going to air Sal? This Saturday night? Or some weekday evening?

JediTricks
06-25-2008, 06:38 PM
In honor of Carlin, Saturday Night Live is showing the FIRST show. Carlin was the first host ever of SNL. Some say it was this genius choice that gave SNL the legs to start off on.

This will be a very special show to watch.

I hope everyone tunes in. I can't recall any other time it's been shown and in it's entirety beyond the very first time. Possibly this won't be seen again.
That is fantastic! I am setting my schedule for that right now. Thanks for letting us know. And I just checked the NBC website, it's indeed this Saturday at the normal time, 11:30pm EST/PST.

UKWildcat
06-25-2008, 10:55 PM
Sweet! Definitely gonna watch/record that. Thanks for the added info JT.

Mad Slanted Powers
06-25-2008, 11:12 PM
I have it on DVD. It's interesting to see how different the show was in the beginning. It took a while for them to find the format that they would stick with. In some ways though, it would be cool if they did mix things up a bit more like they did back then. Since they don't usually have a full complement of strong sketches, they could replace those with a standup comedian or some other performer, or have a bit more music. Some of those early episodes had that, as well as Muppets!

UKWildcat
06-26-2008, 11:45 PM
HBO is going to play a lot of George Carlin's stand up routines this Saturday starting at 4:00 pm (est) on the HBO Comedy channel, which will run for over 12 consecutive hours.

Here is the rundown:
1. at USC - 1977
2. at Phoenix (aka. Again!) - 1978
3. at Carnegie Hall - 1982
4. On Campus - 1984
5. Playin' With Your Head - 1986
6. What Am I Doing in New Jersey? - 1988
7. Doin' It Again - 1990
8. Jammin' In New York - 1992
9. Back In Town - 1996
10. You Are All Diseased - 1999
11. It's Bad for Ya - 2008

I prefer a lot of his earlier stuff, but I still enjoy the late stuff as well. I've got almost all of it set to record on my DVR. Lots of classic Carlin genius here.

HBO is also playing these acts, and possibly others, on various other HBO channels at different times. Right now, for example, they are playing some of the later ones on HBO2.

JimJamBonds
06-30-2008, 11:29 PM
All good stuff but my favorite is by far You Are All Diseased.

UKWildcat
07-01-2008, 03:05 AM
Since this past Saturday I have watched USC, Phoenix and Carnegie, thus far, in their entirety. Hilarious stuff!!! Carnegie has always been one of my favorites. :thumbsup: