PDA

View Full Version : "Be Kind Rewind" - a Michael Gondry film

JEDIpartner
06-24-2008, 08:38 AM
Thanks to Netflix and my partner's quest for off-beat films, we saw this little picture last night. I really didn't know what to expect since I really don't like Jack Black at all. Anyhow, the film stars that guy, Mos Def, Mia Farrow and Danny Glover. I know-- interesting cast, right?

Basic premise: A man whose brain becomes magnetized unintentionally destroys every tape in his friend's video store. In order to satisfy the store's most loyal renter, an aging woman with signs of dementia, the two men set out to remake the lost films. - IMDB

Anyhow, the entire neighbourhood gets wind of these bizarre homemade remakes and starts to demand more and more films be "Sweded". Jack Black and Mos Def initially tell the ravenous customers that the films are from Sweden, which is why they need to wait until the next day... and pay them $20 in advance for something they don't have already in the can.

Parts of this movie are quite "normal", parts are really stupid. The end result, however, is a touching story of how a community comes together in collaboration and spirit.

Is it a film for everyone? No. I think a lot of people will be turned off by it. If you are just twisted enough, you will probably "get it" and go along for the loopy ride that it is.

A Site for SWEDED films (http://swededfilms.com/index.html)

Jedi_Master_Guyute
06-24-2008, 09:26 AM
I caught this in theaters this past winter and also bought the DVD last week. I really enjoyed the film. It's definitely a movie for folks who don't mind Gondry's style of filmmaking and it just has this great positive, enjoyable atmosphere that I loved. :thumbsup:

JEDIpartner
06-24-2008, 12:57 PM
You know, somehow I knew that it would be you who also enjoyed this film. I love the fact that the ending wasn't verbally wrapped up in a nice little bow.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
06-25-2008, 02:07 AM
You know, somehow I knew that it would be you who also enjoyed this film. I love the fact that the ending wasn't verbally wrapped up in a nice little bow.

Ah, many thanks for that movie nerd compliment. hehehehe :thumbsup:

There is- sorry WAS a movie theater near my apartment in Toledo that got the smaller films like this one, along with "The Darjeeling Limited, "The Assassination of Jesse James" and so forth. I would usually catch the first showing on a friday afternoon of these smaller flicks. sadly, it closed and now I don't know where in the hell i'll see movies like this when I get back to the area. :sad:

But I digress. I do agree that I enjoyed the community coming together and helping the two guys with the movies. It illustrated a huge sense of dedication and unity that was needed for them to succeed.

I thought the same about the ending as well, you do get an idea of what's going on from the reaction of the characters. Frankly, I thought the piano song at the end of the film was gorgeous and it was the sole reason why I gladly spent 9 bucks to buy the soundtrack from iTunes.

Is the movie perfect? Not at all, but it's just a solid film that has a positive message to it. :thumbsup:

Old Fossil
06-25-2008, 11:12 AM
I couldn't get past the Ghostbusters part. I liked Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, and I enjoy Jack Black's antics but this one just couldn't keep my attention.

JEDIpartner
06-26-2008, 06:38 PM
Awww... that's too bad, O.F.!

I have to go back and watch Eternal Sunshine sometime. I actually fell asleep 10 minutes into the movie. That's no reflection on the movie-- I hope. I think I was just really tired that evening.

I hate that these nifty little cinemas are having such a tough time competing with the garganplexes. We have a couple in the Cleveland area and I'm glad that they seem to be doing well. The Cedar Lee is magnificent and gets really good non-mainstream films like this.

UKWildcat
06-26-2008, 11:13 PM
I had a mild case of dyslexia while reading your first sentence Jp, really caught me off guard. Before reading any further, I thought, when did Netflix start carrying those types of films? After I gathered myself, I re-read the sentence and was greatly relieved; initially, I wasn't sure what to expect from the rest of your post.

JEDIpartner
06-27-2008, 12:27 PM
We joined Netflix because we looked through their inventory and discovered they had a huge number of older hard-to-find titles, loads of foreign films and a very extensive library of independent features. We're quite pleased with the service as we get, on average, 16 to 25 disc a month from them.

UKWildcat
06-27-2008, 12:54 PM
How many do you have out at a time? 3? And how long ago did you join?

UKWildcat
07-07-2008, 12:31 PM
Oh really? That many eh? Oh, and you been a member for that long, huh? ;)

I actually watched this movie last night and I really enjoyed it, thought it was great! I really wasn't sure what to expect, but I was pleasantly surprised. I really enjoyed the story, and the acting was quite good; Mos Def continues to impress me. I like this Melonie Diaz too. :love:

I never did get through an entire viewing of Eternal Sunshine, I've seen like the first 30 minutes; I may have fell asleep too. I've heard nothing but good things about the movie though, so I plan on watching it in it's entirety at some point.