PDA

View Full Version : Bo Shek in NY

ConvergeDW
02-15-2002, 09:09 PM
I bumped into The Bo Shek wave at this small store in NYC today. They are all REALLY nice. I guess it's a pretty good way to end off the POTJ line. The figures however were unable to be lifted from the pegs due to the weight of their $25.00 price tag (yes, each). so they will remain there collecting dust. Hooray. I can weight it shouldn't be too long now...

jdmarlow
02-15-2002, 09:35 PM
Hello,

What was the name of the store that you found this wave? I live in NYC and I am curious to know.

-JD

ConvergeDW
02-15-2002, 10:21 PM
It was at Toys Tokyo. If you've never been there it is on 2nd Ave. just south of St. Marks Place, it's also on the 2nd floor so look up. They get stuff early, but they are a ripoff

evenflow
02-16-2002, 12:19 PM
Looks like we will have to start looking for these, very cool. That is just too expensive though.

Turbowars
02-16-2002, 12:25 PM
Heck, you can get almost all three online for $25 (pre sale @ planetactionfigures.com) :crazed:

ConvergeDW
02-16-2002, 05:14 PM
Yes, I agree, it gave me a good laugh. It was definatly cool to check them out though.

GNT
02-17-2002, 01:19 AM
Nice find,its to bad about the price tag on them :( Dont worry,you'll find them soon :)

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
02-18-2002, 11:36 AM
For that price, you deserve an orchestra playing Bach as you open up the figure!:p

JetsAndHeels
02-18-2002, 11:58 AM
$25 each? You should go upto the owner and punch them in the face!!
There is a scalper here in NC who is selling an Eeth Koth for that same price and he makes me sick.
Especially when you can go down the road and pick one up at Wal-Mart for retail price.

General Veers
02-18-2002, 12:32 PM
Some people never learn, no matter how much business they lose...:(

Sidiously Darth
02-18-2002, 12:41 PM
You know we complain about $25 each but Amoktime.com is selling the same wave for $20 each. That makes them just as scummy as the NY place. They're taking advantage of the newness, current scarcity & desirable nature of the product.

Unlike the TF Vader which is not mass produced and public at this time, Amok is using scalper techniques. If they say they're trying to recoup costs, then they paid too much.:confused:

JEDIpartner
02-18-2002, 01:08 PM
Dirty b*****ds! :mad:

ConvergeDW
02-18-2002, 08:43 PM
Well the place i am refering to in NY AHEMTOYTOKYO, gets them from over seas, so they aren't even paying retail like the scalpers. I live very close to amok time, and have dealt with them in the past. Their prices are through the roof without a doubt. I don't know for certain if they are just buying it from Walmart down the block, but I wouldn't put it past them. There is an enormous problem with scalpers in my area (NYC, and Long Island). It is almost Impossible to find anything new around here, ever.
It is a sad, sad state of affairs.

sith_killer_99
02-19-2002, 08:26 PM
Yes, Brian's toys buys direct from Hong Kong and they to sell the new stuff at over inflated prices.

Anytime you order direct from the MFG in Hong Kong you get your order shipped directly. Those who buy from here in the States have to wait 'til Hasbro gets them and then let Hasbro distribute them.

So there ends up being a 2-6 week window before these things hit retail stores. Places like Brian's and anyone else who orders from Hong Kong have that much time to sell at jacked up prices.

The problem with ordering direct from Hong Kong is that you have to place an order for $10,000.00 each time!

Patients is the key! However, I am ordering a case of these last few (FX-7, Bo Shek, Preview) waves. Hasbro is notorious for under producing the last figures in any line!

Turbowars
02-19-2002, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by Sidiously Darth
You know we complain about $25 each but Amoktime.com is selling the same wave for $20 each. That makes them just as scummy as the NY place. They're taking advantage of the newness, current scarcity & desirable nature of the product.

Unlike the TF Vader which is not mass produced and public at this time, Amok is using scalper techniques. If they say they're trying to recoup costs, then they paid too much.:confused: I was just going to post the very same thing! you beat me to it. In fact I just sent Amoktime an e-mail stating they are scalpers. I think SirSteve should remove them from the site, but I'm sure they pay for thier spot. The whole thing ****es me off! I mean how do you justify charging 3X what the figure sell @ retail. :frus:

Sidiously Darth
02-19-2002, 09:44 PM
I don't know if the cost is higher coming directly from Hong Kong but usually it is cheaper when you cut out the middleman(Hasbro). I think $7-$9 is the proper range for these figures. It reflects what you would pay at most retailers from WM to FAO. But I'm sure your're right about them paying for the banner. It does help keep the site going and free of charge for us. I still don't have to like them!:mad:

speedermike
02-19-2002, 11:35 PM
I go to Toy Tokyo often, and I have been buying POTJ figures there for a while. I know that I got Eath Koth and Zutton for 9.99 each, so I was really surprised how jacked up these new ones were. They also had the Rebel Fleet Trooper wave early for @ 10.00 each.

The 25.00 price tag on this new wave has me a bit worried though, maybe Toy Tokyo knows that it will be hard to come by...

ToyTokyo is a very cool store, and the people that work there are very nice. It's also the cleanest, and brightest collector shop I've ever been in. In fact, it's one of the few toy shops that I'm not embarrased to go to. I would even feel comfortable taking my Mom there!!

I don't think it's worth punching anyone in the nose over toys.

ConvergeDW
02-20-2002, 09:10 PM
I used to go there all the time, but their prices started to get a little out of hand, I was surprised to see the Fleet trooper, and the Imp. Officer that cheap there. And they did have a decent price on the marmit fett, but 25.00 is inexcusable! I have gotten everything at the Times Square TRU lately. They seem to get every thing fairly quickly, and for only $6.99. You just need to go go when they open

sith_killer_99
02-20-2002, 10:05 PM
It may be cheaper when you order from Hong Kong. Hasbro works on a sliding scale. Meaning the more you order from them the cheaper "per case" price. TRU, being the single largest retailer of SW toys they get the best prices. People like my brother-in-law buy the minimum $2,500.00 (and yet he manages to sell most figures for $9.00 or less).

Anyway, I try to be careful about who I call a SCALPER. Just because someone charges SCALPER prices, that does not mean they are in fact SCALPERS.

IMO, a SCALPER is someone who buys up all the new figures from a store like Wal-Mart or Target, etc. Then they turn around and sell them, via Ebay or whatever, at higher (sometimes MUCH higher) prices.

SCALPERS ROB collectors, and kids who would otherwise have the opportunity to own the item at a reasonable price.

Retailers, or E-tailers, who buy direct from Hasbro and sell at over-inflated prices are just opportunists! In MOST cases if collectors just wait a little while they will be able to find what they want at a reasonable price.

Which reminds me. My local Wal-Marts (We live near 2) just got a shipment of the Lando/Tessek/Jar-Jar/R2-Q5 wave, at least 2 cases per store. I stopped in and found EVERY single R2-Q5 GONE!!! I asked around and found out that they just stocked the pegs THIS morning. I went in at 12:30 in the afternoon for crying out loud!!!

Darkross
02-21-2002, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by sith_killer_99
Which reminds me. My local Wal-Marts (We live near 2) just got a shipment of the Lando/Tessek/Jar-Jar/R2-Q5 wave, at least 2 cases per store. I stopped in and found EVERY single R2-Q5 GONE!!! I asked around and found out that they just stocked the pegs THIS morning. I went in at 12:30 in the afternoon for crying out loud!!!

I found three R2Q5 and 2 Lando's and a ton of JarJars at AMES last weekend...not WAL-MART. I picked up two R2Q5s and 1 Lando! This was the first time that I had seen R2Q5 in a store. In Canada...at least where I live...R2Q5 was hard to come by so I was very, very glad to find him in Maine, USA!

Fixer
02-21-2002, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by Sidiously Darth
You know we complain about $25 each but Amoktime.com is selling the same wave for $20 each.

Yep, I saw that too, and it ****ed me off - I've ordered a few things from them in the past, but that's just price gouging. No more business from me. I'll patiently wait for retail.